Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Do You Know Icarus?

• Start Topic

This show is really starting to find its groove. This was another great episode. I guess cribbing from Fringe works wonders. Even the scenes with Maddox and his wife, which I thought were kinda dull before interested me today. Seriously, that was the oddest discussion of divorce I've even seen on a TV show.

The scenes where Bryan was just cycling through partners while Shelby just looked increasingly done with the whole thing, including his endless collection of new brothers was surreal. It even managed to mix in a bit of the previous style of the show in as well.

• Love 11
(edited)

It's a 2-parter, maybe. Of course, maybe Bryan will switch to a reality where it's a one-and-done episode.  :)

I liked the episode for the reality changing idea, kind of had a Kyana Prime feel about it. #StarTrekVoyager #theyearofhell
But it also involved time travel -- as it kept resetting back to about 12 hours or so before 4:03pm.

And now that Brian is involved in the time loop as well -- is he going to keep diving to the debris with Shelby ? What happens if he misses the reset time ?

Why would the aliens have this kind of technology on what seems more and more like a colonization ship ?

I'm even more curious how Shelby discovered what the debris does -- because that seems like a pretty deep dive for your average kid, especially if you don't know what you are looking for.

Better question -- did this piece of debris just crash recently ?

Garcia's eyes kind of freaked me out -- how did he get them ? Are they artificial ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And now that Brian is involved in the time loop as well -- is he going to keep diving to the debris with Shelby ? What happens if he misses the reset time ?

That might be the least of their issues, since it seems like reality is breaking.

Why would the aliens have this kind of technology on what seems more and more like a colonization ship ?

Seems like the perfect piece of tech for a colony ship. Say they find a planet they like, but there's just one little problem with it. They just switch over to a timeline where that problem doesn't exist anymore on the planet. 

I'm even more curious how Shelby discovered what the debris does -- because that seems like a pretty deep dive for your average kid, especially if you don't know what you are looking for.

He could have seen it crash into the sea and decide to investigate. It didn't seem all that far to me, I could conceive of kids living that close to the ocean diving that deep regularly.

Garcia's eyes kind of freaked me out -- how did he get them ? Are they artificial ?

Seems like he got messed up by a Debris and then got put back together somehow.

• Love 5

So I'm the only one who thought I was watching the Stargate SG1 episode "Window of Opportunity" combined with SG1's 1969 episode?
Alrighty then.

And am I the only one who wonders whether Shelby really had a twin, or if he's manufacturing her out of a desire to maybe have been born a different gender?
Or maybe he did have a twin, but, as can happen IRL, she died early in the womb?

7 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

Seems like he got messed up by a Debris and then got put back together somehow.

And Garcia is not happy about it. 
I'm now guessing that he is somehow in part behind the resets in hopes of getting his OG life back.

Anyhoo, like it or not, the shippers ship has sailed. 
Although I expect in the end, only a hint of that desire will linger.

• Useful 1
26 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Let's say a hose pops loose venting all the "oxygen" into space and you have 5 minutes to fix it before you all die. You hop into the machine and now you have 24 hours and 5 minutes to tighten the clamp on the hose.

Since you don't lose the knowledge that you learn from that day, a scientist can run an infinite number of the same experiment while changing one variable each time without wasting much time and never using any materials.

It is amazing that in every universe, Shelby's parents are "dicks" going to Europe and leaving their 10 year old son with minimal supervision.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I thought they did an excellent casting job with Shelby. His blasé attitude combined with exasperation and 'here we go. Again" was perfect. Especially as the episode went on and he was just over everything.

• Love 10

I can't believe it. I finally made it through a whole episode! Good job, show. I might actually watch the next one. 

One of my pet peeves is breakups/divorces on TV that make zero sense, and I see them constantly. "I can't live with your forgiveness." Seriously? So she'd stay with him if he blamed her constantly instead of offering unconditional love and support? I just don't believe too many divorces are caused by an excess of forgiveness. 

Even though I enjoyed this episode, I literally rolled my eyes over the "scientific" explanation of why other timelines were appearing in mirrors. Something about gaps in the mirror molecules? Oh, and constant cries of "The universe is going to break down!" like that's a thing. 

Never mind. I watched the whole thing, so yay. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mertensia said:

I thought they did an excellent casting job with Shelby. His blasé attitude combined with exasperation and 'here we go. Again" was perfect. Especially as the episode went on and he was just over everything.

And he swims. Did he dive too?

22 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

literally rolled my eyes over the "scientific" explanation of why other timelines were appearing in mirrors. Something about gaps in the mirror molecules? Oh, and constant cries of "The universe is going to break down!" like that's a thing. 

Heh. Yeah. Well, theoretically(?) if we could travel FTL, time would go backwards for us, and the show dialogue claims that glass has special properties that allow only some light to pass through (maybe slows down light), so...
um, yeah, ...
can someone help me here?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

literally rolled my eyes over the "scientific" explanation of why other timelines were appearing in mirrors. Something about gaps in the mirror molecules? Oh, and constant cries of "The universe is going to break down!" like that's a thing. 

Heh. Yeah. Well, theoretically(?) if we could travel FTL, time would go backwards for us, and the show dialogue claims that glass has special properties that allow only some light to pass through (maybe slows down light), so...
um, yeah, ...
can someone help me here?

Oh my God!, is that how you are going to treat them when they finally attempt to give a scientific explanation about how this alien tech works?  I can now see why they never tried to explain anything that occurred on the show before to "you people", always poking holes and demanding logic. You will definitely change your tune when the universe ends with a flash of Red, Orange that is twice as long, and a little bit Yellow at the end as your image in the mirror "all of a sudden" waves goodbye to you. Then you will wish you hadn't been folding your laundry while watching the show!

3 hours ago, Melina22 said:

One of my pet peeves is breakups/divorces on TV that make zero sense, and I see them constantly. "I can't live with your forgiveness." Seriously? So she'd stay with him if he blamed her constantly instead of offering unconditional love and support? I just don't believe too many divorces are caused by an excess of forgiveness. 

I can understand why she might not be able to forgive herself for the accident, but I don't understand how her life is going to get any better than it is now, if she gets divorced. Together they have trouble maintaining around-the-clock caregiving for the child. Their expenses for their lifestyle must be extremely high. Both parents love each other and the child. Who would get custody, I am sure she wouldn't go through with the divorce if she found out that her husband got custody. If there was any couple on TV who should stay together for the sake of the children, I think it is this one.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Oh my God!, is that how you are going to treat them when they finally attempt to give a scientific explanation about how this alien tech works?  I can now see why they never tried to explain anything that occurred on the show before to "you people", always poking holes and demanding logic. You will definitely change your tune when the universe ends with a flash of Red, Orange that is twice as long, and a little bit Yellow at the end as your image in the mirror "all of a sudden" waves goodbye to you. Then you will wish you hadn't been folding your laundry while watching the show!

😄 Going to assume your 'folding the laundry' was a shout-out to the Alexa commercial with the guy ironing his shirt, who keeps making the movie replay the elvish knight's death scene. 😄

I actually thought Maddox's wife's reason for wanting a divorce was understandable. She can't stand to be around someone forgiving her when she hasn't (apparently) come anywhere near forgiving herself.

I get that Garcia's eye situation (no irises) is the result of some kind of debris encounter, but if the debris can change his eyes so tidily, why didn't it fix his face so that he doesn't have giant Frankenstein-style scars?

Agree this episode was pretty engaging; can they sustain the interest through part 2?

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

🤣😄😆😂

--and this is why we don't deserve plausible science-y explanations.
I totally ignored the significance of the colors indicating which end of the spectrum was involved in the phenomenon. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Finally, an episode I watched all the way through without multi-tasking during, even with no laundry to fold. I liked this one and could actually follow it, odd as that may seem, unlike all previous episodes that had me thinking WTH was THAT. It only took eight hours wasted to find an interesting episode. Thanks show writers.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

This was definitely the best episode yet, the show seemed like it was actually having fun. It still had a bit of that moody atmosphere to start with, but it was much more surreal and weird then gloomy, and even got some dark laughs in, especially the montage of Brian's many partners set to Gimmie Shelter while Shelby was increasingly over it. The show felt alive in a way that it has struggled with being, the characters all seemed a lot more expressive and engaged in what was happening. The writing even felt better, much tighter and more creative. The premise itself was really cool, and while the science was nonsense, it was fun nonsense, and I can get behind that. I especially thought the room full of mirrors with Shelby's sister being glimpsed out of the side of the eye was an especially memorable imagine. 

The actor playing Shelby was really good, especially his increasingly eye roll filled "ugh, again" reactions to everything. So he is basically unstuck in the multiverse living multiple possibilities while also being stuck in this one day, so what does that debris actually do? Does it normally allow people to explore all kinds of possible ways their life could have gone, but now its on the fritz and is messing with the fabric of reality. Has anyone tried turning it off and on again? 

Hopefully part two can keep the momentum going and the show can really start living up to its potential. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I think the reason why Julia can't forgive herself for driving the car that day is because she either was drunk or possibly high off opiates (not an uncommon problem for many women who either work or stay home to care for the house, etc.) Craig's incessant "I forgive you, I really forgive you" can't get through to her subconscious because she has not forgiven herself for that day. Maybe she and Craig had been having an argument about her drinking or pill popping and she grabbed Dario, got in the car and took off, only to have an accident, that the end result was their son having a lifelong TBI (traumatic brain injury). That's my feel of how this possibly all went down. I think if it had been something where another driver had caused the accident that might be an easier bridge to get over VS Julia being to potential sole cause for this accident. We shall see where this takes us exactly that's where I think the crux of the matter lies.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I can understand why she might not be able to forgive herself for the accident, but I don't understand how her life is going to get any better than it is now, if she gets divorced. Together they have trouble maintaining around-the-clock caregiving for the child. Their expenses for their lifestyle must be extremely high. Both parents love each other and the child. Who would get custody, I am sure she wouldn't go through with the divorce if she found out that her husband got custody. If there was any couple on TV who should stay together for the sake of the children, I think it is this one.

Maybe she feels (since she stated that she is the one at fault for the accident) that her life isn't supposed to get better and that she deserves worse for causing what has happened to their son. Guilt will eat you up alive if you allow it to. I don't think its a question of love because I truly believe she loves Craig and that she loves Dario. I just think she can't allow someone to forgive her before she is ready to forgive herself. Truth be told that day may never come for her. I also think that there is more to the accident than just her getting in the car and driving off with their child. I think she was either under the influence of drugs/alcohol and that impaired her judgement and she drove anyway instead of calling for a cab/Uber/Lyft, etc., to pick her and her son up. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, MyArchangel said:

Craig's incessant "I forgive you, I really forgive you"

Hrmmm...
Reading this now makes me wonder if Craig somehow believes that he, himself is responsible. 
Since this scene is presented in the Groundhog Day episode, maybe Craig knows about altered timelines and knows that there is a timeline in which the accident does not occur and perhaps Craig's "work" had something to do with this version of things.

Or maybe Craig is just hopeful that reality can be tweaked to make his son whole again and just doesn't want his wife to dwell on this reality. He wants her to share is state of denial that their son can be fixed.

I coincidentally happened to catch this episode of The Outer Limits today that deals with time travel/alternate universes:

"Decompression"

6/30/2000,  Season 6 / Episode 13

A senator's underdog presidential campaign gets a jolt when his plane is struck by lightning and he is warned by a time traveler that in order to save himself and the world he must allow himself to be sucked out of the plane.

See also: https://theouterlimits.fandom.com/wiki/Decompression

BTW, 55 years ago my blue ribbon science fair project was about the possibility of time travel. It was really just a re-presentation of an article from a Time Life series of the time. Anyway, this episode was very much in my wheelhouse. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Even the title of the episode was the best yet, IMO:  "Do You Know Icarus?" (from the Greek myth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus#The_legend) posited as a bit of a sardonic question.

Daedalus fashioned two pairs of wings out of wax and feathers for himself and his son. Daedalus tried his wings first, but before trying to escape the island, he warned his son not to fly too close to the sun, nor too close to the sea, but to follow his path of flight. Overcome by the giddiness that flying lent him, Icarus soared into the sky, but in the process, he came too close to the sun, which due to the heat melted the wax. Icarus kept flapping his wings but soon realized that he had no feathers left and that he was only flapping his featherless arms, and so Icarus fell into the sea and drowned. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, mertensia said:

Yes, he was fantastic. I'm glad it's a two-parter so we can see more of him.

Other than the Maddox Family Drama Interlude, this was my favorite episode yet, by far. And I thought the last episode was also pretty good, so definitely seems to be improving. I'm even considering not deleting it from my DVR for now so I can watch it again, that's how much I enjoyed it.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, redpencil said:
On 4/27/2021 at 6:12 AM, mertensia said:

Yes, he was fantastic. I'm glad it's a two-parter so we can see more of him.

IMDb has the episode cast info now. 
Shelby was played by the young-but-very-experienced (even including Fringe) actor Keenan Tracey (imdb.com/name/nm3485889/bio) son of one of my favorite H!ITG! Canadian sci-fi actors, Ian Tracey. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I get that Garcia's eye situation (no irises) is the result of some kind of debris encounter, but if the debris can change his eyes so tidily, why didn't it fix his face so that he doesn't have giant Frankenstein-style scars?

I assume that debris damaged his eyes/face and then the government “fixed” him, probably with some other half-understood piece of debris. So his eyes work but the scars remain.

Was Bryan injured in the same incident that injured Garcia? Garcia mentioned the mysterious injections Bryan takes. What are they for? And is his chin scar from the same incident?

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I hated the movie Groundhog Day.  The movie was so annoyingly repetitive, and I can only take Bill Murray in small doses.

Whereas I love Groundhog Day and pretty much any movie, tv episode, whatever that uses that trope. Same thing with changing realities/alternate universes. So combined with Shelby being awesome, and the main characters actually growing on me a lot lately, I felt like this was made for me personally to enjoy, haha.

One little thing that I really appreciated was almost hitting that deer at the beginning. When it happened, I was struck by how oddly specific it was to show that, as its only purpose at the time seemed to be for George to comment on Bryan's driving. But then the first time things reset, the deer was just standing on the side of the road that time. Was a cool way to show things had changed for them too without going straight for a non-Finola partner.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, redpencil said:

Whereas I love Groundhog Day and pretty much any movie, tv episode, whatever that uses that trope. Same thing with changing realities/alternate universes. So combined with Shelby being awesome, and the main characters actually growing on me a lot lately, I felt like this was made for me personally to enjoy, haha.

You and me both!

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

You and me both!

I'm sure there are a lot of us. That's why it's such a common trope! It makes me want to go back and rewatch a couple of my previous favorite Groundhog Day-esque tv episodes (one of my personal favorites being from Dark Matter). This one will definitely be added to that list, though it's more than the traditional repeat-the-day scenario like some others.

ETA: I just hope the conclusion does this episode justice!

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, redpencil said:

It makes me want to go back and rewatch a couple of my previous favorite Groundhog Day-esque tv episodes (one of my personal favorites being from Dark Matter).

Dark Matter aired when I was going through my own Dark Crap, so I never got into it, despite a lot of buzz and my having access to it. 
Which episode is the Groundhog Day-esque one? I'd like to at least check it out.

And, BTW, the 2 Stargate SG1 Groundhog Day-esque episodes I mentioned above ("Window of Opportunity" and "1969") are available via Hulu, Netflix, etc., as is the 2-part Moebius.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Dark Matter aired when I was going through my own Dark Crap, so I never got into it, despite a lot of buzz and my having access to it. 
Which episode is the Groundhog Day-esque one? I'd like to at least check it out.

Season 3, episode 4, "All the Time in the World."

• Useful 2

Ok, I got a little confused by what happened in what reality. So help me out here.   The alien shop broke apart 3 years ago? The debris started falling 6 months before the events of episode 1,  correct?  George died six months ago, correct?  

Didn’t tonight’s episode state that Brian and Garcia worked with George to identify debris before George died and that’s when both of them were affected? Garcia was affected and somehow partially fixed? That’s also why Brian has to take the shots? 

The timeline is what is confusing me because it sounds like George, Garcia and Brian worked together for quite a while- yet the debris has only been falling slightly longer than George has been dead. So was this the original reality or a revised one? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 3
14 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

The timeline is what is confusing me because it sounds like George, Garcia and Brian worked together for quite a while- yet the debris has only been falling slightly longer than George has been dead. So was this the original reality or a revised one? 

Bryan and Garcia had worked together, and Garcia knew George, but I don't think Bryan had ever worked with George (I think in the episode where they found him, he didn't know Bryan?). I don't think anything we know from before meeting Shelby was altered in any way.

• Useful 4
11 minutes ago, redpencil said:

Bryan and Garcia had worked together, and Garcia knew George, but I don't think Bryan had ever worked with George (I think in the episode where they found him, he didn't know Bryan?). I don't think anything we know from before meeting Shelby was altered in any way.

The discussion between Garcia and Bryan about Brian’s shots occurred before the first scene where Brian and Finola went to Shelby’s.  The discussion implied they were injured together. The discussion between Garcia and George occurred after ( at least chronological order of scenes) Brian and Finola went to Shelby’s.   That discussion implies Garcia was injured working with George, That’s why I couldn’t decide how much of it all was true or altered reality. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

The discussion between Garcia and Bryan about Brian’s shots occurred before the first scene where Brian and Finola went to Shelby’s.  The discussion implied they were injured together. The discussion between Garcia and George occurred after ( at least chronological order of scenes) Brian and Finola went to Shelby’s.   That discussion implies Garcia was injured working with George, That’s why I couldn’t decide how much of it all was true or altered reality. 

I'll have to pay more attention to that discussion between George and Garcia when I rewatch. Maybe it just had something to do with George's research? Since we know that has somehow been a key to things even when people thought he was dead.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, redpencil said:
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I'll have to pay more attention to that discussion between George and Garcia when I rewatch. Maybe it just had something to do with George's research? Since we know that has somehow been a key to things even when people thought he was dead.

There is also the possibility that this is not the only piece of debris that has altered the timeline, even if this series will never again address that possibility. 
This discussion reminds me of how, after Stargate SG1 managed to "fix" their altered timeline, there was now a fish in Jack's pond that had not previously been there: https://forum.gateworld.net/stargate-sg-1/9789-fish-in-the-pond-spoilers-for-s8-s-moebius-and-threads

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/26/2021 at 11:00 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Given that the ship got blowed up real good (and this is a tv show) it's possible that it is doing this because it is broken. It might be a component of the warp drive or some time manipulation system (to keep cargo/passengers in temporal stasis and/or speed up discreet regions of the ship to enable the fast-forwarding of an experiment or computer calculation) that is now completely off-kilter, out of whack, and  prone to hiccups - not to mention being subject to undisciplined human minds who haven't read the instructions inputting orders that go beyond its original intent.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Given that the ship got blowed up real good (and this is a tv show) it's possible that it is doing this because it is broken. It might be a component of the warp drive or some time manipulation system (to keep cargo/passengers in temporal stasis and/or speed up discreet regions of the ship to enable the fast-forwarding of an experiment or computer calculation) that is now completely off-kilter, out of whack, and  prone to hiccups - not to mention being subject to undisciplined human minds who haven't read the instructions inputting orders that go beyond its original intent.

I'm still curious to find out why so much debris has been found on Earth but no signs of alien bodies have been found in the wreckage/debris.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm still curious to find out why so much debris has been found on Earth but no signs of alien bodies have been found in the wreckage/debris.

Ooo. Pods of extra-terrestrial embryos under that rock, over there!

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

One possibility is they were all in solid-state, digitized; computer files of beings to be printed out in the flesh when the colony was set up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

Forgive me, as I am a Boomer, but what are the devices Bryan and Finola wear in their ears?

Bluetooth communication ear pieces (or whatever similar technology is used in the show's universe).

Those poor actors! Running across the rocks over and over, leaping into the water over and over (or the stunt people), swimming underwater fully dressed, over and over. I'll bet they were thrilled when this particular shoot was over! I hope it was summer at least. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Those poor actors! Running across the rocks over and over, leaping into the water over and over (or the stunt people), swimming underwater fully dressed, over and over. I'll bet they were thrilled when this particular shoot was over! I hope it was summer at least. 

They probably used the same footage over and over. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, alvajon said:

They probably used the same footage over and over. 

Or at least this was one time when all those bleepin’ extra takes actually wound up on screen.  
But as someone longing for the Great Lakes to be warm enough for swimming, I was not thinking:

10 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Those poor actors! Running across the rocks over and over, leaping into the water over and over (or the stunt people), swimming underwater fully dressed, over and over. I'll bet they were thrilled when this particular shoot was over! I hope it was summer at least

🏊‍♀️🏊🏻🏊‍♂️

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1

I guess I'm thinking this because I live beside the Atlantic ocean which is like ice water even in summer, unless you're in PEI. I suppose the Pacific is a lot warmer. Well, I hope it is. 

2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I guess I'm thinking this because I live beside the Atlantic ocean which is like ice water even in summer, unless you're in PEI. I suppose the Pacific is a lot warmer. Well, I hope it is. 50°s F

Actually, the Pacific northwest is colder than, say, the Jersey Shore Atlantic (50°s F year round Pacific NW vs. 70°s F in the summer in Jersey).
But they weren't in very long that we saw.
Now that you mention it, @Melina22, I'm going to fanwank that Shelby and Kathleen were wearing wetsuits during their initial exploratory dive. 

I've re-watched both episodes now and observed some great acting bits and interesting differences between the various realities.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But they weren't in very long that we saw.

The scenes gave me anxiety because they only reached the debris when they were basically at the end of their breath, so if the switch didn't happen they'd drown. They didn't have enough breath in them to swim all the way back up. This bothered me every time. It's so silly of course, because ACTING. 

10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Actually, the Pacific northwest is colder than, say, the Jersey Shore Atlantic (50°s F year round Pacific NW vs. 70°s F in the summer in Jersey).

I live many hours drive north of Jersey. I probably don't want to know the water temperature. I'm surprised the Pacific Northwest is so cold. I guess I can stop feeling jealous about that one thing. 

I'm one of the many who is finally getting into this show. My favourite part was when Bryan held up the sign saying "We can see you." Second favourite was Finola saying "He's dead" and her partner's gasp of shock. "But I just talked to him yesterday!" 

Nitpicks:

1. Why take the time to write out "I don't know"? I think there's a gesture for that. 

2. Finola wrote "Synchronize watches" which I've always assumed means make sure everyone's watch says exactly the same time. Then everyone fiddled with their watches without looking at or communicating with anyone else. How exactly did that work? Also, I really need to use that phrase in my real life if I can think of a reason. How cool would it be to say that? 😁

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I'm one of the many who is finally getting into this show. My favourite part was when Bryan held up the sign saying "We can see you." Second favourite was Finola saying "He's dead" and her partner's gasp of shock. "But I just talked to him yesterday!" 

2. Finola wrote "Synchronize watches" which I've always assumed means make sure everyone's watch says exactly the same time. Then everyone fiddled with their watches without looking at or communicating with anyone else. How exactly did that work? Also, I really need to use that phrase in my real life if I can think of a reason. How cool would it be to say that? 😁

That Swedish guy was great. I wouldn't be opposed to him showing up occasionally, since we know Bryan has actually worked with him before.

I was initially confused by the watch thing, but I think what they did was set timers/stopwatches for 2 minutes, and they started the countdown at the same time. But then I was slightly annoyed because they all spent time standing around before they ran for the water. But that's a nitpick.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 2
On 5/5/2021 at 6:41 AM, Melina22 said:

I guess I'm thinking this because I live beside the Atlantic ocean which is like ice water even in summer, unless you're in PEI. I suppose the Pacific is a lot warmer. Well, I hope it is. 

The Pacific here in CA barely reaches 65 degrees during the summer months when it hits 110+ in the Santa Clarita Valley where I live. I grew up in NJ, specifically in Ortley Beach, then Toms River, Forked River and Cape May. In July the Atlantic gets to about 70-73 degrees which is lovely. In fact in September after Labor Day ocean temps get routinely to 75 degrees. Also spent some time in FL and the Gulf of Mexico gets like bathtub water with temps in the high 80’s to low 90’s. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm jealous of your 75 degree water in NJ! We're too far north for that. 

I'm amazed that the ocean could be so cold in CA! Watching people surf in the Pacific in CA over the years (on TV) I guess I just assumed the water was really warm. The things I learn watching Debris! 

1 minute ago, Melina22 said:

I'm jealous of your 75 degree water in NJ! We're too far north for that. 

I'm amazed that the ocean could be so cold in CA! Watching people surf in the Pacific in CA over the years (on TV) I guess I just assumed the water was really warm. The things I learn watching Debris! 

The Pacific can reach the 70s in southern California: https://www.currentresults.com/Oceans/Temperature/pacific-ocean-temperature-california-summer.php which is where those surfer videos are typically shot.
But the scene of this episode was Washington State. 
It's over 1100 miles and over 18 hours of driving time from Oceanside California to Oceanside Washington (where the episode took place; I imagine it was shot in British Columbia).
Heh, this reminds me of when my ex-late-mother-in-law flew from the east coast to her sister's in San Diego and then took a Greyhound bus to our house in California on the Oregon border, which is over 11 hours by car, and over 13 hours by bus. They wisely flew back. My ex-late-father-in-law also insisted that we didn't get 114 degree Fahrenheit in the summer and snow in the winter at our 3K ft elevation. People who live on the east coast where the states are smaller seem to have trouble with the concept of a state that spans several climates.

image.png.26a406655f16719424918d55175ced80.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 2