Type keyword(s) to search

Eternals (2021)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Dani said:

Probably but would she want any of them. The Eternals are shown to have a modern sensibility and viewed each other has equals. That’s certainly not the way she would be viewed by others for much of history. 

True. Sprite may have had other options, but she was in love with Ikaris, and looked at that way she may well have tracked Sersi down after however many years because she hoped that Ikaris would come looking for his girlfriend one day. Kingo was the only one who wasn't surprised when she takes off after him in preparation for the Celestial's awakening, because he basically said 'duh' when Sersi asked why Sprite ran off.

I checked out of curiosity, and Lia McHugh is somewhere around seventeen to Richard Madden's thirty-five. In real life, even modern sensibilities have lots of issues with large age differences, so we have immortal Sprite who presents as a young woman despite how many places she's been and how much she's seen and done. Even if she wanted those other options, guys who were close to her physical age, eventually it would become noticeable that they were getting older and she wasn't. Maybe not every five years, but Kingo could have been exaggerating.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I checked out of curiosity, and Lia McHugh is somewhere around seventeen to Richard Madden's thirty-five. In real life, even modern sensibilities have lots of issues with large age differences, so we have immortal Sprite who presents as a young woman despite how many places she's been and how much she's seen and done. Even if she wanted those other options, guys who were close to her physical age, eventually it would become noticeable that they were getting older and she wasn't. Maybe not every five years, but Kingo could have been exaggerating.

At 17, Ikaris would appear to be much to old for her but she would be old enough to have relationships and stay in one place for around a decade before it became obvious she wasn’t aging. But she was in a much worse position than that since Lia was only 14 when she filmed the movie so her not aging would become apparent a lot faster. 5 years is probably pretty accurate for the longest she could go without someone getting suspicious. 

Would it have been an absolute necessity for Sprite to remain undercover though? We've seen human sorcerers and possessors of artifacts who were unaging for hundreds of years. She could have presented herself as such, or just not explained her immortality. Heck, according to Kingo they'd been acquainted with Thor, and Asgardians live for thousands of years.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Dani said:

But she was in a much worse position than that since Lia was only 14 when she filmed the movie so her not aging would become apparent a lot faster. 5 years is probably pretty accurate for the longest she could go without someone getting suspicious. 

I saw that she was actually that age too. So I figured that even though kids in movies generally look older than real kids she was probably supposed to look like someone who was 12. Which means if you want to have personal relationships/friendships with people you are probably stuck with other kids (which would suck for someone with that much life experience). And even then as they quickly get older they are probably going to notice that you aren't. At least Lingo said that in movies he was basically his great grandfather his grandfather his father and himself, which would at least work in his movies.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

so we have immortal Sprite who presents as a young woman despite how many places she's been and how much she's seen and done.

It seems as if these characters who are eternally trapped in children's bodies are also incapable of maturing emotionally.  Sprite, in 5000 years,  could have matured into a wise, serene person.  Behaving and dressing as an older person would not have been difficult.
All of the Eternals probably would have become somewhat jaded toward human affairs and not act so impulsively emotional. 
But, it's a superhero comic book movie, so ....

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

It seems as if these characters who are eternally trapped in children's bodies are also incapable of maturing emotionally.  Sprite, in 5000 years,  could have matured into a wise, serene person.  Behaving and dressing as an older person would not have been difficult.

"Druig sucks."

"Yes, sir, he does."

You're not wrong in calling Sprite immature, but at best it's joke in bad taste and at worst it's a punishment for something she couldn't have done to be the only one of the Eternals trapped forever in the body of an adolescent. Kingo abandoned her IMO at least partly because he couldn't tend to his career ambitions/launch his movie career when he had to pack up and move every few years to hide the fact that she wasn't becoming an adult, and so she wandered around alone until she re-located Sersi, who had established some semblance of a life for herself away from asshole Ikaris. Hampered by what amounts to a child's body, Sprite couldn't even have the companionship she wanted unless it was with someone so far behind her in life experience that it'd be ridiculous. Pleasant? No. But understandable.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Eternals 2: The Search For Kingo's Dingo.

The sad thing is that I'd go to a theater to see that. Poor Kumail. You think his shirtless scenes are extras on the DVD?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I'm glad they acknowledged that it was far from the worst movie in the whole series.  I agree with two of their choices for worse movies and would add two more. Although, I've always maintained that even the worst of their movies weren't that bad and had some good moments.

Somebody several pages back mentioned the chemistry between Makkari and Druig.  I saw that in the first viewing, but when I watched it again, I actually felt it.  I don't find the actor who plays Druig that attractive, but damn if there wasn't something sexy about him when he was with her.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm glad they acknowledged that it was far from the worst movie in the whole series.  I agree with two of their choices for worse movies and would add two more. Although, I've always maintained that even the worst of their movies weren't that bad and had some good moments.

I like that they praised Marvel for trying something new. And I hardly remember Thor 2 or Hulk having only seen each once years ago. But yea this movie was way more enjoyable for me than Iron Man 2. Not more than Iron Man 3 though since I actually like that one. Maybe better than Age of Ultron and Dr Strange, but I don't think as good as Civil War. Everything else I am pretty sure I liked more. But at least with Eternals I kind of want to watch it again, in one sitting without my kids to see if it changes my opinion. I have no interest in watching Iron Man 2 again or finding and watching Hulk.

• Love 1

Promo for the Making of special...

Official Trailer | Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of Eternals | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Feb 16, 2022

Edited by tv echo

Eternals got 1 Crirics Choice Super Awards nomination...

‘Spider-Man,’ ‘Shang-Chi’ Lead Critics Choice Super Awards Film Nominations
BY AARON COUCH   FEBRUARY 22, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/critics-choice-super-awards-2022-nominations-nominees-list-1235097398/ 

Find the complete list of nominees below. Winners will be announced March 17.
BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE
Black Widow
Eternals
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The Suicide Squad
Zack Snyder’s Justice League

(edited)

Marvel’s ‘Eternals,’ ‘Hawkeye’ Earn Recognition for Disability Representation (Exclusive)
BY REBECCA SUN    APRIL 14, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/eternals-hawkeye-ruderman-seal-1235130091/ 

Chloe Zhao’s Eternals and Disney+ series Hawkeye have each earned the Seal of Authentic Representation from the Ruderman Family Foundation, which advocates for the full inclusion of people with disabilities in society. The Seal recognizes movies and television shows that feature actors with disabilities in roles with at least five lines of dialogue.

Both Eternals‘ Makkari (Lauren Ridloff) and Hawkeye‘s Echo (Alaqua Cox) are superpowered individuals who also have disabilities.

“Makkari is full of heart and wisdom. She is strong, charismatic, mysterious and mischievous. We are very lucky to have found Lauren Ridloff, who is our real-life Makkari!” Zhao said in a statement. “She has brought this character to life with love and conviction and has taught us so much in the process.”

Ridloff and Cox are both deaf, and the latter additionally is an amputee who uses a prosthetic leg.

“Not only was [Ridloff] overly qualified to join an already high-level cast, she elevated the ensemble with her unique spirit, talents and charisma. It’s been a privilege getting to know her through the process and seeing what a real-life hero she has become to so many,” said Sarah Finn, who drives casting for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. ....
“We are gratified to witness this latest group of studio productions implement the crucial values of inclusion and authentic representation in their casting decisions,” Ruderman Family Foundation president Jay Ruderman said in a statement. “These practices are increasingly becoming the norm in Hollywood, with the authentic casting of Lauren Ridloff in Eternals and Alaqua Cox in Hawkeye marking a particularly high-profile and momentous milestone for Marvel and the entire entertainment industry. Each time a casting director or other executive makes such a decision, it facilitates the industry’s broader journey towards fulfilling its full potential as a beacon of all forms of diversity and social justice.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2022 at 11:08 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

All of the Eternals probably would have become somewhat jaded toward human affairs and not act so impulsively emotional. 
But, it's a superhero comic book movie, so ....

Wasn't Sprite's super power casting visual illusions? I could have sworn a couple of times it was her, not a detached illusion as I was calling her robot Loki at one point

I finally watched it and really loved it. Will watch again. It was beautifully shot, the fight scenes felt different, and the characters were interesting. I would have liked more time with them, esp. Ajak and Sprite, but overall, it was done well.

Regarding Sprite and the immortal trapped in a child's body, Interview with a Vampire did that better but again, there were fewer characters. Maybe it will improve on second viewing.

Did Ikaris commit suicide? Is that even possible? Won't he just be downloaded into another eternal body with his memories wiped?

• Love 1

“IKEA- fall collection, ASS”- Phastos

I loved that line!

I really liked the connections between history, mythology along with the Existential questions. Phastos being broken hearted after Hiroshima, but eventually finding love with a husband and son, he gave up on humanity but found purpose in a human life.

I liked this movie a lot. It did have a lot of world building to do, that might’ve been better served with a series. 

• Love 3

Lauren Ridloff and Alaqua Cox on Deaf Representation in the MCU
By Zach Johnson  JULY 13, 2022
https://d23.com/lauren-ridloff-and-alaqua-cox-on-deaf-representation-in-the-mcu/ 

In the past year, two Deaf characters have debuted in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), furthering The Walt Disney Company’s and Marvel Studios’ commitment to inclusive storytelling. First came Makkari, the speedster played by Lauren Ridloff in Eternals, then came Maya Lopez, the gang leader played by Alaqua Cox, in Hawkeye. Disney is “Celebrating the Accessible” this Disability Pride Month by honoring the diversity and intersectionality of the disability and neurodivergent communities via increased representation, celebration, education, and accessibility. In excerpts from recent issues of Disney twenty-three (offered exclusively to D23 Gold Members as a benefit of their membership), the two stars open up about what that means to them.
Lauren admits she “didn’t think too much about the fact” that [she] was going to be the first Deaf Super Hero in the MCU until Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige introduced the cast during San Diego Comic-Con in 2019. “When I walked onstage, I noticed a group of people going positively crazy, hands waving in the air,” she recalls. “That’s the deaf way of applauding, so when I realized there was a group of Deaf fans in the audience, the profundity of it hit me right there and made it hard to stay standing up.

“Being cast as a powerful entity who happens to be deaf is groundbreaking,” Lauren continues. “It shouldn’t be like that in this day and age, but it’s finally happening—and on such an enormous platform. Finally, the world sees how I exist as a deaf individual. My strengths are different than most and have a place here in this universe. One just has to learn how to perceive nonconformity as an opportunity for untapped power.”

Marvel Studios hired consultants and interpreters to ensure that both actresses felt supported while filming their respective projects. In addition, several actors and filmmakers learned how to sign basic expressions in American Sign Language (ASL). ....
As for Lauren, she says Angelina Jolie, who plays the warrior Thena, “was the first to disclose that she had some familiarity with ASL” and used it to introduce her children. Lauren’s husband, Douglas Ridloff, helped her other co-stars—Gemma Chan, Salma Hayek, Brian Tyree Henry, Barry Keoghan, Don Lee, Richard Madden, Lia McHugh, and Kumail Nanjiani—learn the language. “The cast was very open and receptive to opportunities to sign their dialogue, so we had Douglas work as an ASL consultant,” she says. “He taught them how to sign as if they’d been signing for thousands of years.”

Alaqua and Lauren are both proud of the strides Marvel Studios has made for Deaf representation, and they are excited to see its stories become even more accessible. “There is now a lot of discussion about creating new [ASL] signs for the MCU—name signs for characters,” Lauren says. “Sign language now possesses space within that incredible fantasy world of superhuman skills and abilities. The community is responding to that, so new signs are coming out as a result. We’re now part of the Super Hero vernacular.”

• Love 2

FWIW, the mods on the Marvel Studios Spoilers reddit page posted the following Eternals 2 info yesterday...

Tales From The Mod Queue: Eternals 2, Quake, The Marvels, and Many More!
Posted by u/MSSmods Vision     July 17, 2022
Reddit page link

Spoiler

Eternals 2

- Eternals 2 is on track

- There were many production issues on Eternals that made it a harder task than the average Marvel movie

- A lot of folks inside Marvel Studios don’t want to go through that again

- Expect Chloé Zhao to either be heavily restricted or, more likely, not return at all for the sequel

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

FWIW, the mods on the Marvel Studios Spoilers reddit page posted the following Eternals 2 info yesterday...

Tales From The Mod Queue: Eternals 2, Quake, The Marvels, and Many More!
Posted by u/MSSmods Vision     July 17, 2022
Reddit page link

Reveal spoiler

Eternals 2

- Eternals 2 is on track

- There were many production issues on Eternals that made it a harder task than the average Marvel movie

- A lot of folks inside Marvel Studios don’t want to go through that again

- Expect Chloé Zhao to either be heavily restricted or, more likely, not return at all for the sequel

Gee, you think maybe if they hadn't tried to introduce 10 brand new characters in one 2 hour and 40 minute movie it would have been easier? I'm sure there were other issues, but that had to be the biggest one.  I liked

The Eternals better than most people, but it tried to do too much in one movie.  I'm glad they are doing a second one, but if they try to go from the grandeur of the first one to the typical Marvel look and feel of the others, it's going to look odd, so hopefully they don't change it too much.
  • Love 2

During a recent The Today Show appearance, Patton Oswalt apparently spoiled that Eternals is getting a sequel and that Chloe Zhao will be directing it...

Here's video of his entire appearance on The Today Show (beginning at around the 3:25 mark, he talks about Eternals 2 and Harry Styles' Starfox):

Patton Oswalt, James Morosini Reveal True Story Of ‘I Love My Dad’
TODAY    Aug 2, 2022

Director Chloé Zhao Discusses the Philosophy Behind 'Eternals'
BY CHRISTINE DINH   August 30, 2022
https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/chloe-zhao-philosophy-behind-eternals-movie-special-book 

Titan Comics, in partnership with Marvel, is releasing a deluxe hardcover, Marvel's Eternals: The Official Movie Special Book, arriving everywhere books are sold, September 6. Pre-order from your preferred retailer!
What made you want to be a part of this project?
Chloé Zhao:
I’ve always been a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I’ve seen all the films. And I just fell deeply in love with the characters. When I read about this story, I was drawn to how colorful and truly diverse these characters are. And the questions that are asked in this film are the most humanistic questions — questions that I ask as a human being, a mortal. So, it is going to be a very entertaining and beautiful film. But it’s also a very thoughtful and a very humanistic one. That’s what really excites me.

We’re tapping into a lot of philosophical questions about who we are. We’re exploring that by traveling through time and following a really, really deeply beautiful, epic love story. And, at the same time, asking questions about who we are as human beings on this planet. And I think that’s everything we love about a great piece of humanistic storytelling like Marvel has always done.
What would you say sets Marvel Studios’ Eternals apart from other Marvel films?
Chloé Zhao:
First of all, we go back into history, at the beginning of time for this planet [Earth]. We explore a lot of mythology we haven’t seen yet. And at the core of this film is an epic love story.

eternals_cover.jpg

What was it like working with Kit Harington (Dane Whitman)?
Gemma Chan:
Kit Harington’s lovely. He’s great. And Dane and Sersi have a special bond, because he’s really the first human that she’s fallen in love with. And you can really understand why their relationship works. Dane is very assured, actually. There’s a kind of quiet confidence about him that Sersi finds attractive. And, yeah, they have fun together as well. You can see why they’d be together, and why Sersi cares about him. It was really fun to play those scenes with Kit.
But what about Ikaris?
Gemma Chan:
Well, there is a love triangle of sorts. Sersi and Ikaris have a long history. I mean, they’ve been on and off for about 5,000 years! So, yeah, it’s pretty long-term. I mean, what can I equate it to? I suppose Ikaris is that ex that you just can’t shake. Is he good for you? Is he not good for you? I mean, she still has this attraction to him. And he to her. But they’ve hurt each other in the past. For 5,000 years, they’ve been through everything together. And there’s real love there, and a lot of history. But at the beginning of the film, Sersi has moved on. She’s found someone else that she loves. And, of course, that’s when Ikaris comes flying back into her life.
How did you bond with your fellow Marvel Studio’s Eternals actors?
Richard Madden:
In terms of bonding with some of my cast members, luckily, I’m very close with Gemma Chan [Sersi]. We’ve been friends for 10, 12 years. That’s not quite the thousands of years that we need for these characters! But we’ve known each other for years before the film started, so that really helps in terms of building up a trust and a rapport with someone.

Speaking of Gemma Chan, what can you say about the relationship between Sersi and your character?
Richard Madden:
I suppose one of the things I really enjoyed was being able to build this relationship with Ikaris and Sersi over the ages. I think it’s a fascinating study of what keeps a couple together for thousands of years. Why do they not get bored each other? And what love means when you really care about someone for that length of time.
We understand there’s something of a love triangle…
Kit Harington:
Yeah, Dane and Sersi are part of a love triangle, which includes Ikaris. Yeah, poor old Dane, he’s up against quite the competition with Ikaris. I mean, not only is he [played by] Richard Madden, but it’s a guy who shoots lasers out of his eyes and flies. Dane is a museum scientist. So, I felt Dane had to have a quiet confidence about himself that meant he could stand toe-to-toe with a giant such as that, and not be afraid. I think Dane’s one of those guys who’s from a certain schooling background where they’ve taught him not to be afraid of anyone. And what Sersi loves about him is this self-assuredness. He can stand opposite Ikaris who’s just destroyed a monster and say, “Hi, I’m Dane!” and hopefully not come off too badly, but we’ll see. Sersi’s stuck between two men, who represent entirely different things. I’m pretty happy about what I represent in the film, but hopefully it’ll be an interesting story line for the audience to watch.

I recently rewatched this movie and really enjoyed it. I love Kingo’s character, Phastos using his inventions/devices to take on Ikaris in the final fight is neat, and Makkari is the coolest.

Fun fact: I caught a few of the name signs Makkari uses for different characters. In ASL, a lot of times people will be given name signs specific to them, otherwise you need to spell out someone’s name each time you sign it. It might be something tied to the first letter of their name, or maybe a physical/personality trait of theirs.

I can’t remember all the name signs Makkari used, but I know Ikaris was the same sign for “boss,” and Thanos was something like “giant chin,” which made me giggle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

New Disney+ Data Reveals Marvel’s Surprising Most-Streamed Movie of 2022
By Klein Felt    January 26, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-disney-plus-movie-streamed-most-2022 

According to new data published by Nielsen, Marvel Studios' Eternals was the only MCU film to make the analytics company's 'Top 15 Streaming Movies of 2022' list. It came in just slightly above Frozen II and slightly below Coco, with Encanto dominating the competition in the top slot.
Now, this data is collected as the most-streamed films of the year in US households, using 'Minutes Viewed (Billions)' as a metric. So that could play into why Eternals made the cut and other MCU films did not. 

Two things to factor into this viewing time total are Eternals' near record-breaking runtime (2 hours 37 minutes), and the fact that the film landed on Disney+ on January 12, meaning it had almost a full year of data to use.
But it couldn't have just been those two factors that played into the film's streaming success.  

It was reported back in January 2022 that Eternals broke the MCU's Disney+ viewing record, being streamed by 2 million households in just five days. So perhaps, this movie had become such an object of fascination that those that had already seen it and those who hadn't just had to take it in at home. 
The film came out right as the Delta variant of COVID-19 became a concern, with many opting to not visit the cinema out of an abundance of caution. 

4th-top_streaming_movies_in_2022-2-Laure

Edited by tv echo

Interesting.  I feel like there was a lot of talk at the time about Eternals being the first MCU “flop” since it only made around $400 million on a $200 million budget (2x budget is traditionally considered the bare minimum for a film to break even).  Given the streaming numbers, it certainly seems like more people were interested in seeing it, once they didn’t have to risk Covid to do so.  Who knows what that could have meant for the box office total.  Personally, I really liked Eternals, and I hope this info boosts the chances for a follow up.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Like 2