Type keyword(s) to search

Eternals (2021)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

MCU Eternals: Every Superpower of 10 Main Heroes Revealed by Angelina Jolie, Gemma Chan & More
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal    September 17, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-eternals-superpowers-movies-heroes-angelina-jolie-gemma-chan 

Spoiler

Eternals cast members sat down with Total Film to break down every power and ability of their respective characters in the film.

Ikaris
Richard Madden, who plays Ikaris, revealed that his cosmic hero is "very strong," and "has the ability to fly and shoot lasers from his eyes:"

"His powers are pretty cool. He's really very strong, and has the ability to fly and shoot lasers from his eyes. I suppose the main challenge was trying to make something look effortless."
Makkari
Lauren Ridloff, who portrays Makkari, shared that her character's "most obvious power" is superspeed, but she also pointed out that her character's true power is "her smarts:"

"Her most obvious power is speed, but how she manipulates speed as a weapon is just brilliant, so her true power is her smarts."
Druig
Barry Keoghan, who plays Druig, unveiled that his character "uses mind-control to manipulate and control people," admitting that it's kind of cool since "he doesn't do anything with his hands:"

"He uses mind-control to manipulate and control people. He doesn't do anything with his hands. He just stares, which is kind of cool."
Phastos
Brian Tyree Henry, who portrays Phastos, bared that his character "can use his mind and his energy" to assemble anything out of any technology around him:

"They like to call him a techno-path, which basically means he can use his mind and his energy to literally assemble anything out of any technology around him."
Kingo
Kumail Nanjiani, who plays Kingo, disclosed that his cosmic character can "shoot beams from his arms" while also sharing his preparations for the role:

"He can shoot beams from his arms. From his hands, he shoots beams. Obviously, they add laser beams in post. I didn't go that method with it. I took martial arts and dance classes to figure out what his motion would be when he was shooting."
Sprite
Lia McHugh, who portrays Sprite, revealed that her Eternals character "can cast illusions" while teasing that her powers "are utilized in a lot of creative ways" in the film:

"Sprite can cast illusions! Her powers are utilized in a lot of creative ways in Eternals that become very relevant to the story."
Sersi
Gemma Chan, who plays Sersi, told Total Film that her character "can manipulate matter" and "transmute [substances or objects] into other things:"

"Sersi can manipulate matter. So inanimate - I suppose - substances or objects, she can transmute them into other things. Which is pretty useful. That's a good thing."
Thena
Angelina Jolie, who portrays Thena, shared that her character has the "could manifest weapons in my hands" ability in the film:

"I was given the 'could manifest weapons in my hands' [power]. A lot of my training was really fun, to try to figure out how to fight that way."
Ajak
Salma Hayek, who plays Ajak, disclosed that her superpower in the film is "healing," admitting that it's the "sensation of a mother:"

"Another thing that inspired me was that her superpower is healing. That very much is the sensation of a mother.
Gilgamesh
Don Lee, who portrays Gilgamesh, revealed that his character has "superhuman strength" while confirming that he is "considered the strongest" of the cosmic group:

"Gilgamesh is immortal, has superhuman strength, and is considered the strongest of the Eternals. He has a unique one-punch knockout attack like a heavyweight boxer. As a long-time boxer myself, I tried to add a lot of real boxing movements."
Dane Whitman*
On a separate note, Dane Whitman actor Kit Harington didn't reveal any abilities for his character, with the actor teasing the "very cool" interactions that he has with the rest of the Eternals in the film:

"I'd just like a power. It was very cool, my interaction with those characters. It was cool to see - and also very jealous-making."

Edited by tv echo

I love the final trailer.  I love how Salma Hayek pronounces "Thanos."  I love how Ajak clearly seems in awe, even after 7,000 years, of humanity and our capacity for heroism and sacrifice.  I love how Thena says they've loved us since the day they arrived.  It's comforting to think there are benevolent gods on earth looking out for us.  I've always loved that concept.  This trailer totally does it for me.

I'm obsessed with why Angelina Jolie would take an ensemble role where she's not the lead of the movie or even the team.  It seems she could have written her own ticket to join the MCU; why'd she choose Thena, one of 10 equals?

Also, I'm guessing the movie will reverse what Neil Gaiman did with his run, and END with the Eternals getting amnesia, which will explain why they won't show up again until Eternals 2 or Avengers 5.  Just a hunch.  Or maybe some of them WILL show up here and there.  That could be fun.

Either way, this is one of my most anticipated movies of the year and of the MCU to date.  I think it looks awesome.

Edited by Genius
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Genius said:

I'm obsessed with why Angelina Jolie would take an ensemble role where she's not the lead of the movie or even the team.  It seem she could have written her own ticket to join the MCU; why'd she choose Thena, one of 10 equals?

I know it's mercenary, but it may just have been that they wrote her a huge check for a minimum amount of work.  This is not to say that I think she only showed up just to collect the money (*cough*Anthony Hopkins*cough*), but for a lot of actors, a job is a job is a job.  And sometimes, actors take these parts as their end of a deal to get financing for a project the actor really wants to do.

And hell, she's over 45 and gets to be a butt-kicking warrior woman in one of the biggest movies of the year.  That's badass.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Genius said:

I'm obsessed with why Angelina Jolie would take an ensemble role where she's not the lead of the movie or even the team.  It seems she could have written her own ticket to join the MCU; why'd she choose Thena, one of 10 equals?

ETERNALS Star Angelina Jolie Explains Why She Decided To Join The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Basically because she wanted to work with Chloe Zhao and she liked that the movie was going to be diverse and expand the genre. 

I don’t really agree that she could have written her own ticket with the MCU. Marvel doesn’t really cast leads based on name recognition. 

At this point, I'm wondering if Richard Madden will bring his boyfriend to the premiere, or if we'll have to keep up the fiction that we don't constantly see them together.  It would be really cool if Marvel's most intentionally diverse movie would have all its queer actors out in the open.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, starri said:

And hell, she's over 45 and gets to be a butt-kicking warrior woman in one of the biggest movies of the year.  That's badass.

Agreed!  I'm all for it, and glad she took the role.

17 hours ago, starri said:

It would be really cool if Marvel's most intentionally diverse movie would have all its queer actors out in the open.

I would love that.  Come on Richard, doooo ittttt!

17 hours ago, Dani said:

I don’t really agree that she could have written her own ticket with the MCU. Marvel doesn’t really cast leads based on name recognition.

True, but you don't think if Angelina approached Kevin Feige and said she'd like to part of the universe, he wouldn't make that happen somehow?  Or maybe that IS what happened.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, starri said:

At this point, I'm wondering if Richard Madden will bring his boyfriend to the premiere, or if we'll have to keep up the fiction that we don't constantly see them together.  It would be really cool if Marvel's most intentionally diverse movie would have all its queer actors out in the open.

Do you think Brian Tyree Henry will be among them? There was a lot of speculation about his sexuality back when it was first revealed that Phastos was going to be in a relationship with a man, in light of the casting call info. But so far as I'm aware he's never commented on the subject.

Eternals Is "Akin To Stories Of Greek And Roman Gods" - Exclusive Image
September 27, 2021
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/eternals-is-akin-to-stories-of-greek-and-roman-gods-exclusive-image/ 

Speaking with Empire as part of the new Ghostbusters Celebration issue, Zhao spoke about the risk-taking that has been involved in making the upcoming epic. “It’s like sailing,” she says. “You don’t want to take a little journey around the harbour - you want to go out there into uncharted waters to see what you can find.”
Along with bringing a pioneering new look to the MCU - Zhao includes The Revenant and The Tree Of Life amongst her inspirations - Eternals promises to bring plenty of drama. Chan describes the narrative as “akin to stories of Greek and Roman gods, who live very human lives with human traits, rivalries, jealousies and frailties.”

Zhao also isn’t one to shy away from murky principles, even alluding to the idea that Thanos, Marvel supervillain and the poster boy for destruction, was misunderstood. “I loved the idea of continuing to challenge the straight-forward morality we’re used to in the superhero genre,” she says.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Angelina Jolie Rejected One Famous Superhero Role Before Eventually Joining Marvel's Eternals
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal     September 30, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-angelina-jolie-eternals-superhero-famous-rejected 

Jolie previously shared that the main reason behind her involvement with Eternals came from her desire to be part of a "diverse family." In addition, the veteran actress also revealed how the film was pitched to her , with her sharing that Zhao used pieces of candy to designate various human civilizations on a map as they'll be explored in the movie.
Via @CreamOrScream , Eternals star Angelina Jolie, who plays Thena in the upcoming MCU film, sat down with Empire to talk about her Marvel debut.

Jolie first admitted that she doesn't usually "lean towards superhero or sci-fi films," but she changed her mind with Eternals since the actress "felt like something else was happening" in the movie's narrative:

"I don't usually lean towards superhero or sci-fi films. It's not usually what I'm looking to do. It felt like something else was happening in this film, though. It was very character-driven."

Empire also took note of Jolie's comment that she once turned down a famous superhero role before Eternals , but the star declined to say which out of respect for the actress who went to play the character.
Jolie then shared that the Eternals team is a "really equal family," while also admitting that she wanted to be part of that collection of heroic individuals:

"It's not one of us in front and other characters behind. It's this really equal family. And I wanted to be a part of this family."

Edited by tv echo
42 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Angelina Jolie Rejected One Famous Superhero Role Before Eventually Joining Marvel's Eternals
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal     September 30, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-angelina-jolie-eternals-superhero-famous-rejected 

The Incredible Hulk, obviously. She's tall, she's got the muscles, she's good with doing action. Wonder Woman is the obvious guess, though there are no end of statuesque bruisers in comics. Give her the accent and a streak in her hair, she could easily be Rogue instead of Paquin. Paint her blue and she's Mistique. And so on.

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

The Incredible Hulk, obviously. She's tall, she's got the muscles, she's good with doing action. Wonder Woman is the obvious guess, though there are no end of statuesque bruisers in comics. Give her the accent and a streak in her hair, she could easily be Rogue instead of Paquin. Paint her blue and she's Mistique. And so on.

I could really see her as Elektra.

• Love 2
(edited)

Marvel Confirms Eternals Will Split the Plot in Two Different Storylines
By ADAM BARNHARDT - October 2, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/eternals-two-timelines-marvel-studios-confirms/ 

In a new press release that's been circulated by Disney, it's said Eternals takes place "across two time periods" while examing the close-knit group of characters that make up the eponymous team.

"The story takes place across two time periods. One storyline is set in the past when they operated as a formidable team and a close family unit," the press release says.

It then teases the group's primary opponents, adding, "The second storyline is in the present, when the group has fractured and split apart, content to live among humans, hiding in plain sight. The prevailing threat of the Deviants, which once again threatens the existence of mankind, means the Eternals need to put their differences aside and regroup."
According to Marvel producer Nate Moore, the movie's also hoping to explore another corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that has yet to be seen on screen, in the same vein as Black Panther and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

"We want audiences to discover a corner of the Marvel universe they've never seen before," Moore adds. "We want them to discover a mythology that is a challenging sci-fi movie but also has a human heart. And we want them to meet ten heroes who they hopefully can relate to."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

First Hyundai USA partnered with Marvel to do a series of commercials featuring Marvel's Disney+ series (WandaVision, TFATWS, Loki, What If), and now Lexus has partnered with Marvel to do an Eternals commercial..

Lexus and Marvel Studios’ Eternals present | PARKING SPOT
Lexus   Oct 3, 2021

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

INTERVIEW: DIRECTOR CHLOÉ ZHAO ON HOW MARVEL’S ‘ETERNALS’ WILL REDEFINE THE ENTIRE MCU MOVING FORWARD
ERIK DAVIS   OCTOBER 11TH 2021
https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/interview-director-chloe-zhao-on-how-marvels-eternals-will-redefine-the-entire-mcu-moving-forward-754419 

At over two-and-a-half hours, Eternals is one of the longest MCU films, but according to Zhao its length is intentional. “It could be longer!” she told Fandango during an extended conversation about the film. “You know, it’s ten characters, the Celestials and 7,000 years. There’s a lot going on.”
Fandango: In the new featurette we're debuting with tickets going on sale, Kevin Feige says that the impact Eternals is going to have will redefine the Marvel Cinematic Universe entirely. How would you say this movie redefines everything we've seen so far from the MCU? What do you think he means by that?
Chloé Zhao:
Well, let’s see… I think a big part of it is that audiences will be discovering the origin of the MCU through the mythology of the Celestials. I think by the end of the film, we will have a new understanding of planet Earth’s relationship with the cosmos, and also with her own inhabitants. But in that sense, it would have a huge effect on the future of the MCU.
Fandango: Ah, that’s interesting. You know, the movie also promises to explore the world more following the events of Avengers: Endgame. So, what's happening in the world at the start of this film, and why are the Eternals called out of hiding?
Chloé Zhao:
Well, the film is set after the Avengers brought back half of the population in the universe and on the planet. So, the way we look at an event like that is always, for us, it is seen as this huge ecological implication [if] something like that happened to our planet. So, between that ecological implication, and the sudden mysterious return of the Deviants, it's time for the Eternals to get back to work.

Fandango: For those not familiar with the Eternals, how would you best explain how they fit into the MCU?
Chloé Zhao:
We like to call them Earth's original superheroes. So, they were instructed to stand on the sideline once the Deviants were gone to allow humans to develop and progress in the way that we were meant to…and that ultimately led us to someone like Tony [Stark]. So, they've always existed in the shadows…you just never know where they might show up again.
Fandango: In this new featurette, we learn that five of the Eternals are thinkers and five are fighters. How do the thinkers help the fighters, and vice versa?
Chloé Zhao:
I’m so glad you picked up on that because that was one thing I really geeked out about. The idea came about from how human society was structured back then. So, if you think about it, there were fighters, generals, warriors and gladiators, but there were also philosophers, inventors, priests and healers. In a way, the Celestials planned it really well. Half the team will protect the humans from the Deviants and will protect the gate so they have a safe environment to develop. The other half will nudge them so they can advance and become strong enough to protect themselves one day. When that happens, they can go into the shadows all together.

Fandango: What can you say about the Warlord Kro? What makes him a unique villain in the MCU?
Chloé Zhao:
I think the only thing I can say…he’s very unique. I think in a way I would say he is an accident in evolution, and there is great debate around the right for someone like him to exist.
Fandango: Where we are in the MCU right now, there's a lot of multiverse stuff going on, both on TV and on the big screen. Does Eternals help push the multiverse narrative forward or is this film separate from that?
Chloé Zhao:
The film completely stands alone. If you know half the universe disappeared and it came back, that's all you need to know to watch this film. But what happens in this film will have huge implications on the future.

Fandango: Something we always have to ask…should audiences stick around for something special in the credits?
Chloé Zhao:
Yes! Don’t just stay for the first one — also stay for the second one, too. They are equally as important in weight, and both have big surprises for you.

Fandango: Considering the length of this film, is there a lot you left on the cutting room floor? Will we get to see it in a home entertainment release perhaps?
Chloé Zhao:
You get to see some, yes.

Q&A with ETERNALS Director, Chloé Zhao
October 11, 2021
https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scene/q-and-a-with-eternals-director-chloe-zhao 

AMC Theatres: In the trailer, the ramifications of the Infinity Saga and why the Eternals didn’t step in. How much of a focal point is that in the film or is it more just to answer the inevitable question on where the Eternals were during the events of AVENGERS ENDGAME?
Chloé Zhao:
It’s much bigger than just ENDGAME. There are many things that happened throughout history where they did not interfere. The film will address that in a very complex way; just tied very much to the identity and the fate of the Eternals. There’s a legitimate and complicated reason why they didn’t interfere, so you’ll have to watch and find out.
AMC Theatres: As more and more footage comes out, we’re starting to get a better look at the Deviants. Can you explain the threat the Deviants post in this film and how they compare to other MCU villains?
Chloé Zhao:
The Eternals are here on Earth to protect the humans from the Deviants. There are five fighters in ETERNALS and 5 thinkers. The fighters keep the Deviants away and the thinkers nudge humanity, so we can advance. The one day where we become strong enough to protect ourselves, they disappear into the shadows. In order for humans to develop and progress as they way we’re meant to, they have to go away eventually, if you think about. If they keep helping us, there wouldn’t be Tony Stark or the Avengers. In a way, the Deviants play a unique role in all of that. That’s all I can say – the very existence of them are a very complicated, moral dilemma in the film.
AMC Theatres: As with any Marvel movie, there are a lot of rumors and speculation out there about this film. Can you tell us what the wildest rumor you’ve read about ETERNALS?
Chloé Zhao:
The best way I can answer that is often in life, the wildest rumors are the true ones. Often the most crazy ideas are the ones that turn out to be true. If anything, I’ll say at the end of the movie, stay for the post-credit scenes; don’t stay just for one, stay for both. Let’s just put it this way, we want to surprise you until the very end.

"In The Beginning" Featurette | Marvel Studios’ Eternals
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 11, 2021

Return | Marvel Studios’ Eternals

Get Tickets Now | Marvel Studios’ Eternals

Scroll down tweet thread to see all of the new Eternals character posters:

Also, the Eternals now have emojis:

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

New IMAX and Dolby posters for Eternals...

Marvel's Eternals Is A Madly Ambitious, Intimate New Saga (Set Visit Report)
By BRANDON DAVIS - October 12, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvels-eternals-is-a-madly-ambitious-intimate-new-saga-set-visit-report/ 

In visiting the United Kingdom set of Marvel's Eternals back in January of 2020, there was a consistent theme that seemed to echo from every member of the cast and crew. The first was that the film was being made fast. As ComicBook.com visited the set on Day 82 of 82, the production was longer than most for Marvel Studios. This is merely the first sign of just how massive the film is, with producer Nate Moore actually calling it Marvel's "most ambitious" film ever with plenty of examples throughout the day to back up the claim. Looking back at the set visit nearly two years later, Eternals is shaping up to have now taken its additional time (originally slated for a November of 2020 release) delivering something epic in scope and intimate by nature.

Eternals was a globe-trotting production with director Chloé Zhao looking for as many practical elements as possible for her super hero ensemble. This means audiences will see Babylon, the Gupta Empire, the Aztec Empire, London, and Bali (among other places). Eternals will be looking at these destinations across the planet over the course of 7,000 years. According to Moore's estimates, 60% of the film is happening in the present-day of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and 40% of the film being set in various years of the past. This may also include a visit to the Eternals' homeworld of Olympia. 

"In the past, we see the Eternals, who in our version of the mythology, are immortal aliens from a planet called Olympia," Moore explained. The group has been tasked by the Celestials to come to Earth and eliminate creatures known as Deviants. "The Deviants are these parasitic aliens who go from planet to planet, and as they kill the apex predators on a given planet, they sort of take the characteristics of those predators and wipe out intelligent life. Well, the Eternals are heroes, so they've come to earth to eradicate the Deviants and allow humanity to thrive." The mission will see the group of 10 heroes begin to "fracture" as a unit, with these events set after Thanos fighting the Avengers in Endgame calls upon them to reunite. 

Spoiler

"In the present, we meet a couple of Eternals," Moore explained. "Sersi and Sprite, who now live in London, who are shocked when a Deviant arrives after not having seen a Deviant for 5,000 years and they seem to have evolved somehow. So the present is very much a mystery of, 'Why are the Deviants back? Why are they different?' And 'Can we get the band back together,' for lack of a better term, 'in time to stop this new threat?'"

It is Hayek's Ajak who will be introduced as a leader of this bunch. "Ajak is in charge to supervise them, bring them over," Hayek explained. "I'm trying to go around not saying she's the boss. She's the leader." In fact, Hayek's Ajak has a key ability for this film's story: "I'm the only one that can talk to the Celestials." This is going to be an interesting ability for the character, as Hayek also notes, "I decide what I tell, when I tell them," and that seems like it can apply to both her family of Eternals and the Celestials who sent them.
Despite the massive scale of the film's story which sprawls across locations and millennia, it is going to be a story centered around a romance. "Ikaris and Sersi are very much the central characters of the movie," Moore said. "We've made 25-plus movies now at Marvel, but this is the first movie that's really built around a romance as the central relationship. I mean, obviously, you have Tony and Pepper, you have Steven and Peggy, those tend to be kind of the side stories. This, if we can do it right, is an epic romance."

Throwing a possible wrench in that romantic storyline is Kit Harington as the human character of Dane Whitman, a name comic book fans know to be the Black Knight (though, the team insisted on keeping Black Knight details as secret as possible on the set). Harington wrapped on Day 81 of production, so he wasn't around for this final day, "But we very much explored the relationship between Dane Whitman and Sersi," Moore promised. 

Spoiler

Harington's Whitman, in comics, draws his powers from an Ebony Blade which is a weapon enchanted to cut through any object but one which comes with a dangerous side effect. Not entirely unlike the Ring in Lord of the Rings, the Ebony Blade will slowly corrupt its beholder and cause their worst traits to be exploited, which eventually leads Whitman to ditch the Blade in the books. "You won't see the Ebony Blade in this movie," Moore said. "He's not going to be Black Knight necessarily, but that is something that we get to play with down the road."

Of course, the looming question for Marvel fans is where the Eternals character have been throughout the adventures Marvel fans have been watching unfold with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, The Wasp, and pretty much everyone else since 2008. The Avengers had to fight for the entire universe in a battle against Thanos and a team of super powered individuals were seemingly on Earth, hiding in plain sight? "[Avengers: Endgame doesn't] directly affect it, although the Eternals are quite aware of what happened in the Endgame and what happened with Thanos, and you sort of get to hear their opinion about what happened and why maybe they didn't get involved," Moore said. "So it is both in a post-Endgame world, but isn't a direct line, as far as storytelling."

In fact, the Eternals are familiar with the Avengers enough to have opinions of them. "She's really impressed with them. She really is impressed with them," Hayek said of her Ajak character's thoughts on Earth's Mightiest Heroes. "That's a lot of respect, and actually can't believe they pulled it off."

Marvel Teases Kit Harington Becoming Black Knight In The MCU’s Future
BY COOPER HOOD    October 11, 2021
ScreenRant article link

Spoiler

As part of an Eternals set visit in January 2020, Screen Rant participated in a round-table interview with producer Nate Moore. During this conversation, Moore was asked about Black Knight's role in Eternals and his MCU future. The producer confirmed that Whitman "ultimately goes on" to become the Black Knight, but cautioned "he won’t be the Black Knight in our film." Moore also provided some other teases about Dane's role and what the movie does and doesn't set up about him becoming Black Knight. Read his comments below:

"We think he's interesting and a great character and actually Kit Harington, who just wrapped yesterday, was fantastic, but we very much explore the relationship between Dane Whitman and Sersi, which is again something for comic readers ... you won't see the Ebony Blade in this movie. He's not going to be a Black Knight necessarily, but that is something that we get to play with down the road."

Based on this information, fans might need to change their perception of what Dane's role in Eternals will be. It seems he will primarily be involved in the story as Sersi's love interest, making him a supporting character as the film focuses primarily on the Eternals. Harington won't be the fully-fledged superhero version of Black Knight in Eternals as a result, with Disney even confirming that he will not suit up in the Black Knight armor during the film. The good news for Black Knight fans, though, is that Moore seems to imply that Marvel Studios has plans for Harington to return as Dane and take on a larger role.

Angelina Jolie’s Eternals Character [OMITTED WORDS]
BY COOPER HOOD  October 11, 2021
ScreenRant article link

Spoiler

As part of a round-table interview Screen Rant participated in during a visit to the Eternals set in January 2020, producer Nate Moore discussed Thena's role in the movie and revealed a "tragic" part of her story. He confirmed that Thena suffers from memory loss that is similar to dementia in the movie, due to her advanced age as an Eternal. This is an idea pulled straight from the comics known as Mahd Wy'ry, which Moore referenced when discussing Thena's memory loss. Read his full comments below:

"She has a tragic story in our film in that she comes down with something called Mahd Wy’ry. If you guys are fans of comics Mahd Wy’ry is something that can beset an Eternal. It's a version of dementia. Because of the amount of memories they have, they become unstuck in their own mind, so she starts to forget exactly when she is, so through the course of the movie, Gilgamesh becomes her protector. And when we find them in the modern day, they're living off the grid in a cabin in Australia because she's too dangerous to have around humans, so it's a fun arc for Angelina to play."

Even though the Eternals are created by the Celestials as an advanced version of humans, they are still humans in some sense. This means that there they aren't perfect (which is how the Deviants came to be originally) and a phenomenon like Mahd Wy'ry can affect them. In the comics, the memory loss issue is also known as Eternal madness. There is a cure for Mahd Wy'ry, but it involves killing the sufferer and bringing them back to life using a backup. Although it is Thena who has Mahd Wy'ry during Eternals after living for 7,000 years, the comics also saw Sersi rapidly develop the disease after an alternate version of Black Knight forces her to go on multiple attacks across Earth.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Eternals’ First-Day Advance Tickets Beating ‘Shang-Chi’ & ‘Black Widow’; AMC Sees Biggest Day 1 Presales Of Year
By Anthony D'Alessandro    October 13, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/10/eternals-advance-ticket-sales-beating-shang-chi-black-widow-amc-1234855393/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Exhibition need not worry: After October’s vibrant box office, there is indeed more blockbuster business to come in November. Deadline has learned that advance ticket sales for Disney/Marvel’s Eternals, opening on Nov. 5, are already quite huge.

Insiders say advance sales for the movie from Oscar winning filmmaker Chloé Zhao, is estimated to have racked up $2.6M in its first 24 hours; an amount that’s +86% ahead of Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings ($1.4M) and +30% ahead of Black Widow ($2M) over the same period of time.

For No. 1 exhibitor AMC, Eternals reps their largest day one sales so far this year. Eternals tickets went on sale Monday.
Eternals will have its Hollywood world premiere this coming Monday.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

“Run!” Official Clip | Marvel Studios’ Eternals
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 15, 2021

Eternals stars Gemma Chan and Richard Madden open up about the film's ageless love story
By Devan Coggan    October 15, 2021
https://ew.com/movies/eternals-gemma-chan-richard-madden-interview/ 

How did you react when you both were cast in Eternals?
MADDEN:
Over the moon. I mean, we've known each other for over 10 years now, so if you're going to go to work and get up and see someone at 4 a.m. every day, it makes it a lot easier if you like them. Because we've known each other so long, we already have this trust and rapport. We know how to push each other's buttons. We know how to make each other laugh. We wanted to bring out the best in each other, so it makes it just a nice, organic process — rather than meeting someone for the first time and being like, "Hey, you've got to make out now."

Gemma, you've joined the MCU before, as Minn-Erva in 2019's Captain Marvel. What was your reaction when they asked you back for Eternals?
CHAN
: I was not expecting to be asked back so soon. When I spoke to [Marvel Studios president] Kevin Feige and he said, "We would love to have you back," I thought he was just being nice. [Laughs] Like, maybe at some point in the distant future, if at all. But it was a nice surprise. And to be working with this one was a treat. Obviously I wasn't going to turn that down.
What was it about this millennia-spanning epic that first hooked you?
MADDEN:
For me, it was the fascination of when you've got a character that's thousands and thousands of years old, what is it about them that makes them want to keep living? What is it about the world around them that they find joy in?

CHAN: And I was excited about playing this character where I haven't really seen a superhero like her before. She's a free spirit. She's not your typical warrior-fighter kind of superhero. And I was interested in this mix of characters as well, them coming together and [figuring out] what they're like as a slightly dysfunctional family.

Richard, your Game of Thrones brother Kit Harington also stars in Eternals. How was that reunion?
MADDEN:
Just great. I mean, I've been friends with Kit for many, many years, and sadly we don't get to do a lot in the film together. But I get to have one moment with him where we say hello, and it's nice to be on set with someone you know and trust and have known for a long time. On set, it was kind of like hanging out with your friends, and then it's like, "Oh, right, we've got to do acting now? Okay."
For each of you, what was the biggest challenge of playing these immortal, seemingly untouchable heroes?
CHAN:
For me, it was finding moments to bring truth amongst the craziness of a production of this size, with everything that's going on and the challenges of shooting on location. Finding moments where you could be still, or just have a really intimate, small moment—that kind of grounds you through it.

MADDEN: I'd say the same. It's finding these moments of reality amongst laser eyes and fighting monsters and being thrown into rocks and upside down. These characters are superheroes, but they're also souls, and they have really complex feelings and relationships that have spanned a long time. We tried to find the truth and honesty in those moments, while wearing superhero costumes and diving off cliffs and stuff.

What was the superhero training process like?
CHAN
: [To Madden] Oh my gosh, you have to do so much.

MADDEN: Because I'm flying all the time in the movie, I'm on these wires in the studio and in different locations. It's just very hard because you have to pretend like it's effortless, when actually you're in this kind of corset harness, and your legs are up here, and your blood's all rushing to your head, and you have to swan in as if you're really cool — and actually you're screaming on the inside. [It helps] having a friend to say, "Hey, does this look dumb?" And they'll say, "Yeah, you look like Peter Pan."

Eternals: Angelina Jolie Was Originally Going To Be A Cameo
By ADAM BARNHARDT - October 15, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/eternals-angelina-jolie-originally-going-to-be-a-cameo/ 

"When we first talked to her, I think she thought, well, I know she thought we wanted her for a very, very small cameo," Eternals producer Nate Moore said during a press set visit last January. "So she was sort of surprised at the size of the role, and really threw herself into Thena and creating a movement style for Thena and a fighting style for Thena that was unique."
"She's been through it with Salt and with Tomb Raider and Gone in 60 Seconds, all these movies. So and we sort of collaborated with her and our stunt coordinator to create a movement style that did feel different because she has done so much," the producer added. "She could say, 'Well, I've done this before. What if we tried this other thing?' And part of that was developing a weapon system that she could train and become sort of fluent in, because she hadn't done a lot of swordplay and she hadn't done a lot of staff fighting and things like that."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

MCU Producer Confirms Eternals' Weird Superpower That the Avengers Lack
By Lauren Rouse   October 17, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-eternals-avengers-superpower-uni-mind 

Spoiler

Marvel Studios producer Nate Moore explained to Disney how the team's special Uni-Mind power makes them different from other superhero groups in the MCU.

“What makes them different from other groups we’ve had, including the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy, is that they can pool their energy and create something called the Uni-Mind.”
“The Uni-Mind is a concept that was borrowed from Jack Kirby’s run in 1976. It allows the Eternals to amplify the power of any single Eternal. However, they all have to be somewhat connected to do so. So, they can’t be on opposite sides of the world and create a Uni-Mind. They have to be in proximity with each other. It is an amplification device, but it does require the power of all the Eternals together.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Eternals original music composer is Ramin Djawadi, a German score composer who is known for his scores for Iron Man and Game of Thrones. In addition, the movie soundtrack is reported to include the following songs...

Marvel's Eternals to Feature Songs From Pink Floyd, Lizzo, BTS & More
By Matt Roembke    October 17, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/eternals-songs-credits-artists-marvel-movie-bts-lizzo 

10 Songs Featured In Eternals
Time: Pink Floyd

Sugarfoot: Black Joe Lewis and The Honeybears

Stay In The Groove Pt. 1: The Dap-Kings (ft. Rickey Calloway)

Nach Mera Hero: Celina Sharma

Friends: BTS

Lend Me Your Comb: Carl Perkins

Mama Tried: Merle Haggard

Juice: Lizzo

The End of the World : Skeeter Davis

Feels Like The First Time: Foreigner

Who Are the Eternals According to Salma Hayek
BY CHRISTINE DINH   October 11, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/who-are-the-eternals-according-to-salma-hayek 

Ajak is in charge to supervise them, bring them over,” states Hayek. “She’s the leader of this group of people that have a mission, and it is my responsibility to make sure that it’s accomplished and that they behave.”
Being a maternal figure of this dysfunctional family unit allowed Hayek to have a specific perspective. “It’s a human way of seeing all these people; there’s a level of love, of caring, and empathy,” says Hayek. “I have a different relationship with each one of them like you do with your kids.”
Kingo is the most vain of them all, and the attention seeker,” laughs Hayek. “Thena is the mysterious [one] and you never know what’s going to come out of her. She’s the strongest, and in some ways, the more fragile, and that’s the beauty in her out. This is why I watch out for her.”

Ikaris is the perfectionist,” adds Hayek. “He has to do everything perfect. He’s the obsessive compulsive one of the family. And then Gilgamesh is the one with the good heart, the kindest one with the good heart. And I know my Sprite has an attitude, and is sarcastic, and a little bit of a smartass sometimes. Then Druig, oh my god, Druig is the dark one that is always overthinking everything that asks a hundred questions."

"Makkari is the one that has to know everything; has to know all the facts," Hayek continues. "Phastos might have to limit the technology time because if I don’t pull him out of that, he can just stay there until he dies. Sersi is my sweet, lovely girl. Sometimes if you’re lucky and you have many kids, you have that one that is just kind, and loving and polite and sweet.”

As the wise and spiritual leader of the group, Ajak holds a crucial power and task that the other Eternals don’t. “I control the information,” says Hayek. “I decide what to tell them when I tell them because I'm the only one that can talk to the Celestials.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

How Marvel Decided Which Eternals Characters To Gender-Swap
BY BRENNAN KLEIN   October 17, 2021
https://screenrant.com/eternals-movie-marvel-ajak-sprite-gender-swap-why/ 

Most of the characters in Eternals will be recognizable to comic book readers. They include Ikaris and Sersi, the on-again-off-again couple played by Chan and Madden, and Thena, a skilled warrior played by Jolie. However, the characters Ajak and Sprite, who are played by Hayek and McHugh respectively, were originally male in the comics.

During Screen Rant's visit to the set of Eternals along with a group of reporters, producer Nate Moore explained a bit more about Marvel's decision-making process to gender-swap the two characters. He said they were finding a balance between what "narratively made sense" and what unearthed "dynamics that were interesting." Moore also discussed the importance of including a female hero in Ajak. With Sprite, he talked about avoiding a well-known story trope. Check out Moore's full quote below:

It was a bit of what narratively made sense and what would create dynamics that were interesting. Ajak in the comics was the conduit to the Celestials. He's a bit of a surly character in publishing, but we felt like the conduit should be the leader and frankly there aren't a lot of female leaders. Ajak from a design standpoint did feel like was very much steeped in Aztec designs. We wanted somebody who was from that region to sort of pay homage to that, so in talking about it, it just made sense to gender swap her. Salma Hayek was amazing.

Sprite, the boy who never grew up, is something you've seen a lot. The girl who never grew up seems to be a little bit of a fresher idea, so it's just those creative conversations to create a balance that we thought was interesting.
It is important to note that the "gender-swapping" that occurs is only a change from the main timeline of the comics. Since the characters are immortal beings, they're capable of being reborn as a different sex every thousand years or so. In fact, Ajak herself was originally created by the Celestials as a female Eternal before changing to a male being at some point before the comics storyline picked up.

Angelina Jolie Admits Her Marvel Eternals Superhero [OMITTED WORDS]
Klein Felt   October 17, 2021
The Direct article link 

Spoiler

In a recent interview with Disney, Eternals star Angelina Jolie revealed that her Marvel superhero suffers from Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the upcoming film.
“Thena is like a soldier who is affected by the memories of battle and has PTSD or moral injury to live with. Thena just assumes that a fight’s coming at her rather than care and kindness. So she’s quite wired, and a lot of her struggle is just holding on to her mind and her center and her peace. I understand her, and how she feels.”
“Thena is not comfortable in peace time. She doesn’t know how to exist as a civilian or as a lover or as a friend, but she does know war. She knows who she is in combat. But she doesn’t know how to go to a party or socialize. She just doesn’t have those skills.”

Of the other celestial heroes in the film, Jolie's character feels closest to Don Lee's Gilgamesh as the two " have known each other and fought alongside each other," describing their friendship as special because "they are partners, and they fight together:"

"They are like comrades in arms, who have known each other and fought alongside each other. They are partners, and they fight together. There are a lot of strong female characters in film now. But to have a strong woman with a strong man who she can lean on, like in this film, is the kind of partnership and relationship that I’d like to see more of.”

Lexus Reveals Marvel Studios' 'Eternals' Vehicles
Lexus  Oct 18, 2021
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lexus-reveals-marvel-studios-eternals-vehicles-301401990.html 

PLANO, Texas, Oct. 18, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Lexus crafts luxury experiences inspired by people. Now, it's drawing inspiration from super heroes with cosmic super powers, too – as the exclusive automotive partner of Marvel Studios' "Eternals." Lexus and Marvel Studios have collaborated to design 10 character-themed concept vehicles, based on all 10 super heroes from the highly anticipated film. 
Each otherworldly custom-wrapped "Eternals" automobile is inspired by the unique individual armor design, iconography and super power of each Eternal. In addition, a golden glow emanates from the vehicles' grilles and underbodies, reflecting the characters' shared energy signature as seen in the film. The vehicles will be featured in various events and media extensions, including the red carpet premiere.
The lineup of custom-wrapped "Eternals" vehicles includes:

• Ajak x Lexus GX: Ajak, played by Salma Hayek, is a powerful, commanding woman. She is paired with one of the most capable SUVs in the land, the GX.
  • Druig x Lexus GX: Druig, played by Barry Keoghan, is a bit of a rebel in the movie, with super strength and stamina, making the GX a fitting reflection of his character.
  • Gilgamesh x Lexus LX: As the strongest Eternal, Gilgamesh, played by Don Lee, is a kindred spirit to the biggest, most powerful Lexus SUV, the LX.
  • Ikaris x Lexus LS: The LS, Lexus' flagship luxury sedan, is a match with Ikaris, played by Richard Madden, considered the tactical leader of the Eternals.
  • Kingo x Lexus IS: Kingo, played by Kumail Nanjiani, is paired with the bold, powerful Lexus IS, which he drives in Lexus and Marvel Studios' "Parking Spot" video.
  • Makkari x Lexus RC F Track Edition: The fastest Eternal, Makkari, played by Lauren Ridloff, is the perfect match for the quickest car in the Lexus lineup, the RC F Track Edition.
  • Phastos x Lexus LX: The LX is technologically advanced, making it an ideal fit for Phastos, played by Brian Tyree Henry, the technological guru of the team.
  • Sersi x Lexus RC F: One of Lexus' most powerful cars, the RC F, is paired with one of the film's most powerful characters, Sersi, played by Gemma Chan.
  • Sprite x Lexus NX: The NX, a crossover that can do anything, is a perfect complement to the illusion-casting ability of Sprite, played by Lia McHugh.
  • Thena x Lexus LC 500: Thena, played by Angelina Jolie, is a natural fit with the sleek and stylish Lexus LC 500

"After so successfully telling a co-branded story on the original Black Panther film, we're thrilled to be teaming up with Lexus once again. Combined with our custom spot directed by the Russo Brothers and starring Kumail Nanjiani in-character as Kingo, these Eternals-inspired vehicles show that exciting collaborative storytelling can extend even beyond traditional media," said Mindy Hamilton, SVP, Global Partnership Marketing at Marvel Studios.

Thena_Lexus_LC.jpg

Edited by tv echo

I'd love to see pictures of all the cars because that one is really cool, but really? The can make a deal with Lexus, but not a limited time only Ben and Jerry's campaign during Infinity War and Endgame with new flavors based on Marvel characters? Hulk-a-Hulk-Burning Fudge and Stark Raving Hazelnuts sounded really good!

First time posting in the thread.  I wasn't really sure about this movie, but would have seen in anyway because I love the series and even my least favorite Marvel movies have had some great moments.  Now, though, the more clips I see, the more excited I am for it.  I hope it doesn't disappoint.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, tv echo said:

is important to note that the "gender-swapping" that occurs is only a change from the main timeline of the comics. Since the characters are immortal beings, they're capable of being reborn as a different sex every thousand years or so. In fact, Ajak herself was originally created by the Celestials as a female Eternal before changing to a male being at some point before the comics storyline picked up.

I didn't know that. That's interesting, I never knew they were "reborn" every 1000 years.

2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'd love to see pictures of all the cars because that one is really cool, but really? The can make a deal with Lexus, but not a limited time only Ben and Jerry's campaign during Infinity War and Endgame with new flavors based on Marvel characters? Hulk-a-Hulk-Burning Fudge and Stark Raving Hazelnuts sounded really good!

lexus-marvel-eternals.jpg

(source)

(edited)

“Introducing The Eternals” Featurette | Marvel Studios’ Eternals
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 20, 2021

World Premiere | Marvel Studios’ Eternals
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 19, 2021

Marvel Studios' Eternals Red Carpet | Best Moments!
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 19, 2021

ETA: To watch video of the entire red carpet world premiere on Oct. 18 (about 1-1/2 hours long), go to this YouTube link.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Interviews from the Oct. 18 world premiere...

Chloe Zhao & Kevin Feige on Bringing Marvel Studios' Eternals To Life

Gemma Chan's Sersi is Unpredictable! | Marvel Studios' Eternals Red Carpet

Richard Madden on Practicing His Laser Vision | Marvel Studios' Eternals Red Carpet

Kit Harington Knows All About Fandom | Marvel Studios' Eternals Red Carpet

Salma Hayek & Don Lee's Unstoppable Energy | Marvel Studios' Eternals

Angelina Jolie & Kumail Nanjiani On Connecting to Marvel Studios' Eternals

Kumail Nanjiani's Journey From Fan to Super Hero | Eternals Red Carpet Live

Brian Tyree Henry: "Anybody Can be a Hero" | Marvel Studios' Eternals Red Carpet

Lauren Ridloff on Being the Fastest Woman in the MCU | Eternals Red Carpet LIVE

Lia McHugh's Marvel Moment | Eternals Red Carpet

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

“Visionary” Featurette | Marvel Studios’ Eternals
Marvel Entertainment    Oct 21, 2021

Victoria Alonso on the Heart of Marvel Studios' Eternals | Red Carpet Live
Marvel Entertainment    Oct 21, 2021

Marvel's Eternals Director Chloe Zhao Explains Superman and DC Comics References (Exclusive)
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - October 21, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/marvel-eternals-director-chloe-zhao-dc-comics-superman-references-explained-interview/ 

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... Ikaris? Marvel's Eternals director Chloé Zhao exclusively tells ComicBook about name-dropping a DC Comics superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe when Ikaris (Richard Madden) is mistaken for Superman. When immortal aliens Ikaris and Sersi (Gemma Chan) reunite with suburban dad Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry), his young son recognizes the blue-suited superhero: "Dad, that's Superman! With the cape, and you were shooting laser beams out of your eyes!" But there's a difference, Ikaris quips: "I don't wear a cape." 

"I take some responsibility for that. I think we're in the business of telling stories about mythology, and Superman, for example, comes from origin of mythology. In many different cultures, there's a form of Superman," Zhao said in an exclusive interview with ComicBook. "And the people that created Superman and the brilliant filmmakers [who] brought Superman to screen, their movies are basically, in my opinion, doing a modern interpretation of that mythology."

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where Ikaris and other Jack Kirby creations are immortal aliens from the planet Olympia, Madden's "loyal soldier" superhero "is our interpretation of that mythology." 

"It doesn't mean we can't pay tribute and have a good time with these iconic ones that we all love to so much," Zhao said. "I mean, who doesn't love Superman and Batman? Clearly our Eternals like them."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Chloé Zhao Spoke to Marvel About Not Censoring Gay ‘Eternals’ Characters Overseas: ‘Fingers Crossed’
Zack Sharf    Oct 22, 2021 
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/chloe-zhao-eternals-sex-gay-scenes-censored-1234673617/ 

Chloé Zhao is hopeful that countries overseas will not censor her upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe tentpole “Eternals,” which features the MCU’s first openly gay hero in Brian Tyree Henry’s Phastos. In an interview this week with IndieWire’s Eric Kohn (more of that discussion to come closer to the film’s release), the “Nomadland” Oscar winner had the following to say about potential censorship of her film’s gay moments: “I don’t know all the details but I do believe discussions were had and there’s a big desire from Marvel and myself — we talked about this — to not change the cut of the movie. Fingers crossed.”

Spoiler

According to Zhao, introducing the MCU’s first openly gay superhero was already “written into the story” before she signed on as director. “The way Phastos’ story plays out in the film is that he’s someone who only sees humanity as a whole and believes that technology’s going to solve the problem. Obviously, he lost faith in us for some very tough things that we’ve done. And then he had to stop looking at us as a whole and look at one person he falls in love with, and one child, to regain the face of humanity. It’s like us turning on the news and thinking it’s completely hopeless and then going home, looking at our lover and our child and going like, ‘Well actually this is worth fighting for.'”

Spoiler

A gay superhero isn’t the only MCU first in “Eternals.” Following the movie’s world premiere this week, film journalists were buzzing over a brief sex scene between two main characters. Marvel movies have been infamously sexless up to this point, making a sex scene all the more noteworthy. Like the openly gay Phastos, the “Eternals” sex scene was already in the treatment Zhao read before she signed on to direct.

“From that moment to what you see onscreen there was definitely a lot of discussion about how to do it,” Zhao said. “But I think the desire to do something different is a very natural desire for where Marvel Studios is right now. I think it’s like Westerns coming into the revisionist period of the 70s. I think it’s happening to superhero films — or at least we’re on the edge of that. And so these scenes just started to happen naturally.”

Zhao added, “For us to be able to show two people who love each other, not just emotionally and intellectually but also physically, and to have a sex scene that will be seen by a lot of people that shows their love and compassion and gentleness — I think it’s a really beautiful thing.”

Producer Nate Moore on Evolving the MCU | Marvel Studios' Eternals Red Carpet
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 22, 2021

Cape | Marvel Studios’ Eternals
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 22, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Two music themes from the movie were released yesterday...

Ramin Djawadi - Eternals Theme (From "Eternals"/Official Audio)
MarvelMusicVEVO    Oct 22, 2021

Ramin Djawadi - Across the Oceans of Time (From "Eternals"/Official Audio)
MarvelMusicVEVO    Oct 22, 2021

Director Chloé Zhao & Composer Ramin Djawadi Preview Two New Scores from 'Eternals'
BY CHRISTINE DINH     October 22, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/composer-ramin-djawadi-two-tracks-eternals-score 

Earlier today, Marvel Studios' Eternals director Chloé Zhao and composer Ramin Djawadi hosted a Q&A discussion on Twitter Spaces.

During the discussion, Zhao and Djawadi released two original scores for fans to hear ahead of the film's theatrical release on November 5 — "Eternals Theme" and "Across the Oceans of Time," both composed and produced by the Emmy Award-winning composer. You can stream and listen to both tracks: hollywoodrecs.co/marvelmusic
Speaking on "Across the Oceans of Time," Djawadi called it the "complete opposite" of the "Eternals Theme," revealing it as their "love theme" as "It's this very, very emotional piece." The composer also stated the lyrics are "meant to be something very old, something from a long, long, long time ago; it just has a lot of history."

Zhao added, "I want to thank Ramin for gifting me with this track; this is one of the most special moments of my career."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Eternals: Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek on Avengers Crossovers, Joining MCU
Comicbook.com   Oct 26, 2021

Ajak | Marvel 101
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 26, 2021

Eternals in 60 Seconds | Marvel Studios’ Eternals

Fun | Marvel Studios’ Eternals

Kit Harington On Keeping Secrets And Not Spoiling That ‘Eternals’ Post-Credit Scene [Interview]
Gregory Ellwood  October 26, 2021
https://theplaylist.net/kit-harington-eternals-post-credit-scene-interview-20211026/ 

The Playlist: So I have to ask you sort of obvious, everyone knows everything, how Marvel works almost question. What came first, the sit-down mysterious meeting with Kevin Feige to talk about potentially being in the MCU? Or did they just go to you and say, “Hey, we got this role in the Eternals. Do you want to be in it?”
Kit Harington:
I had a general meeting with Kevin maybe a year prior to getting the call about this movie, just about their new phase, and that there’s something for me in it at some point. And they had me in mind and that was an exciting meeting to take. And then I got a call about this movie from Nate [Moore], the producer, and I met with Chloe and they talked me through what this was about and the role that I’d fit into playing within it. And on that information, I said, “Yeah, I’d love to do that. Thank you.”

With no other promises of future projects down the road?
No, not really. Just to sort of, what you see in this movie is what I read or was told about. And I assumed that there could be a future there for me and it looks like it could be an interesting one. So, that’s why I jumped at it really.

Spoiler

When Nate and Chloe came to you, what about their pitch was so intriguing?
In this I represent humanity, right? I’m one of the maybe two characters in the movie that is a human that you get to know and is your insight into humans in this world, rather than the Eternals. And I liked on that part that he was a guy with a bit of a light touch, a nice guy, soft around the edges. Different from what I’ve played for a long time and also contemporary. But he has this secret that gets alluded to towards the end of the film. And then that secret is something that intrigued me going forward.

Would you say that that secret is one reason why he appears so calm and collected when he’s with Sersi and things start going crazy in London?
I don’t know about that. I didn’t think of it in those terms. I felt he was that type of person, but also we have to put into perspective the world he’s in. They’ve seen all the things we’ve seen at this point. They witnessed the blip, they live in a world with Avengers and superheroes. So, when things start going a bit crazy, it’s not like you and I would experience it where we’d probably fall on the floor and sob. It’s a bit more expected.
Dane is smart enough to realize that something is going on with Sersi and Sprite, right? He knows that because of this world he lives in, there’s something about them that doesn’t fit in the regular world?
Yeah. There’s a scene that was for various reasons, couldn’t make it into the movie between Dane and Lia McHugh’s character Sprite, which explains a bit further and gives a bit more context. But essentially yeah, he is aware from conversations with Sprite that something’s not as it seems with Sersi. And he alludes to it himself, he says “I’ve noticed weird things about you.” And that’s part of the sadness at the start of the story is that she won’t open up to him. She won’t actually say, “Yeah, this is the truth of the matter.” So there’s a falsity built at the start of their relationship.

After the premiere last night, a number of people spoiled what happened in the post-credit scenes. Were you bummed that that stuff got online? Were you expecting it?
I honestly didn’t know it had. I’ve lived in a world where spoilers happen for a long time. I realize they can happen. It’s just disappointing that people do it. Let people go to the cinema and experience it when they pay for their ticket and do it that way, rather than spreading it online where they might not realize they’re coming across stuff.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Eternal City | Marvel Studios' Eternals
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 28, 2021

Sprite | Marvel 101
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 28, 2021

Marvel’s Eternals writer reveals nine post-credits scenes that didn’t make the cut: ‘There are some really spicy ones’
Louise Griffin       27 Oct 2021
https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/27/eternals-writer-reveals-nine-post-credits-scenes-that-didnt-make-cut-15498695/ 

Writer Kaz Firpo revealed to Metro.co.uk just how much thought goes into the famous clips that have Marvel fans waiting until the credits have rolled.

‘The post-credits sequences, I can say we wrote about nine versions before we settled on what’s in the movie,’ he explained.

‘There are some really spicy ones that always change. It’s an evolving process, every Marvel movie is constantly growing and there’s a thousand, I think 10,000 people worked on this film all over the world.

‘There’s a lot of different voices that are coming in and adding and changing and growing, so with these particularly, they tell the stories of where we want it to go next. So when you watch the movie, stick around, they’re going to tell you something about where the next direction.

‘The other nine possible versions of this ending – they just told different stories, they chose different characters, they introduced different ideas, and so a big part of it for us was, “Where do we want to go next?”
‘And when we finally figured that out, when the movie was done, that’s when we knew, “Okay, this is the way we’re going, we’re going out into the stars”‘.

Edited by tv echo