Type keyword(s) to search

Eternals (2021)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

Current Release Date (US): November 5, 2021

THE ETERNALS | 2019 Marvel Comic Con Panel (Angelina Jolie, Selma Hayek, Richard Madden, Don Lee)
Films That Rock   Jul 20, 2019

Black Panther 2 Announced and Eternals Cast Revealed at D23 Expo!
Marvel Entertainment  Aug 25, 2019

eternals-concept-art-costumes-cast-large

(pic source)

Marvel's Eternals Final Cut Isn't Finished Despite Yearlong Delay
ABHISHEK SHARMA — April 8, 2021
https://movieweb.com/eternals-not-finished/ 

Announced during the 2019's San Diego Comic-Con, Marvel's Eternals, the twenty-sixth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is closing in on its theatrical release set at November 5, 2021. We should've already watched the film if it hadn't been for the pandemic, which caused numerous changes in the release slate for Marvel Studios, but the additional time the studio and film-makers have had on their hands for post-production is just helping them with creating a well-finished cut of the film. Probably that's the reason, director Chloé Zhao is still working on the final cut as she zeroes in on the finalized release date.
Eternals will be an original story featuring an ensemble cast including Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanijani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh, Don Lee, Gemma Chan, and Barry Keoghan wrapping up the titular team of cosmic superheroes. The film will follow these celestial beings coming out of their exile after thousand years due to a catastrophic set of events caused by the events of Avengers: Endgame. One of the highest-anticipated casting for the film will be of Kit Harrington, who'd been brought on board to play a non-Eternal character, Dane Whitman aka Black Knight.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

This movie does have a somewhat odd cast, and I really don't have any attachment to the characters - Gaiman's Eternals mini is my only real exposure to most of them, and I found it just okay. 

I like Richard Madden and Gemma Chan, I'd like to see if Kit Harrington can actually act with range. Bryan Tyree Henry is great, as is Salma Hayek. It's going to take a while before I can remember who most of them are playing.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I'd like to see if Kit Harrington can actually act with range

Unlikely but, I guess he'll just look pretty and stare sadly at people and wear leather...talk about type casting. 😂

Ah, I'm going to hate him anyway, stupid Black Knight picking wishy washy Crystal over my girl Sersi...yeah still bitter about that love triangle...or was it a quadrangle?

• Love 1
(edited)

Unconfirmed, but read spoilers at your own risk. If there is even a chance that these spoilers might be true, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW, THEN DON'T READ UNDER THE SPOILER TAGS...

Massive Marvel spoiler might’ve just leaked the entire plot for ‘Eternals’
By Chris Smith    March 31, 2021
https://bgr.com/entertainment/marvel-movies-spoilers-eternals-full-plot-leak-5917126/ 

.... Someone has supposedly already seen an early cut of the film and revealed the whole Eternals plot on Reddit. Unlike other leaks though, this leak appears to be legitimate because the person who shared the details has been verified. Keep in mind, there are potentially several major spoilers below so stop reading now if you want the movie to be a surprise.
“This plot summary was sent to us a few days ago and was followed by undeniable evidence of factual information by the leaker,” the Marvel Studios Spoilers subreddit mods wrote. The film the leaker saw was supposedly a “very early test screening” that featured unfinished FX, temporary music tracks, and scenes that might not appear in the final cut. In what follows, we’ll show you the entire plot leak as it was posted on Reddit. The only difference is that we’ve also added the names of the actors playing the Eternals to give you a better sense of the cast. ....

Spoiler

There is a lot of jumping around in time to give context to various plot points – I don’t recall all of the linear order so will just include the info as part of the synopsis

Opening title card explaining the Deviants and Eternals – the Deviants were created by the Celestials to hunt predators that prey on intelligent life on newly evolving worlds, but then they started to hunt the life as well, so Celestials created the Eternals to kill the Deviants.

Opens 5000 years ago in Mesopotamia a man is fishing on some rocks with his son (?) and is attacked by a Deviant from the ocean. The Eternals show up and a short battle commences, after which they line up in a triangular “hero” pose and this rolls into the Marvel logo opening.

Jumps to present day – Sersi [Gemma Chan] and Dane Whitman [Kit Harington] are teachers in the UK and dating. During a class lesson, a large earthquake strikes, and Sersi saves a child from a falling object by turning it to sand. Later while out on a date, a Deviant attacks Sersi, Sprite [Lia McHugh], and Dane; during the battle Ikaris [Richard Madden] shows up and they fight it off after noting that they thought all the Deviants were destroyed and unlike others, the Deviant was able to heal its wounds.

The group decide to visit Ajak [Salma Hayek] as she was the leader of the group. After arriving at the midwest ranch where she is now living, they discover her dead body, A small golden device leaves Ajak’s body and enters Sersi (this is how she communicated with the Celestials) – they then decide to round up the rest of the Eternals to deal with the Deviants.

Thena [Angelina Jolie] and Gilgamesh [Ma Dong-seok] are in Australia (I think) due to an issue with her memory causing her to randomly attack the other Eternals. Gilgamesh is obviously in love with Thena but it is not played as a romantic relationship.

Phastos [Brian Tyree Henry] and his husband live with their child and he decides to help due to the fact that he has fully embraced the human race and wants to protect his family.

Makkari [Lauren Ridloff] has been living in the Eternals ship all this time (I guess, since there is a bunch of food containers and mess strewn about.

Kingo [Kumail Nanjiani] is a Bollywood actor (there is a short dance routine that introduces this) and comes with the group along with his valet (don’t recall the name) who tries to document everything on video.

Druig [Barry Keoghan] is living in some rainforest controlling a small village of people after losing faith in humanity and wanting to control them to stop war, famine, etc. Gilgamesh is killed fighting the Deviants in the forest.

Sersi learns that the Celestials created both races and that the Eternals are basically just very advanced robots. They seed young planets with a Celestial ‘egg’ that takes eons to mature. The evolving intelligent life on these planets feeds the Celestial’s growth, so the Eternals are sent to protect the evolving life forms and kill the Deviants. After the emergence, the Eternals are ‘rebooted’ and sent to another world (this is the cause of Thena’s memory issue, as she knows that the planet is doomed) – this cycle has gone on for millions of years. Earth was seeded and Tiamut is about to emerge (this was the cause of the earthquake earlier). Once awakened, the entire planet and all life will be destroyed.

They debate on what to do and some decide to try and find a way to stop the emergence. Ikaris disagrees, Sprite and Kingo are on his side but Kingo agrees to help.

Phastos designs a device (Uni-Mind) that will allow Druig to channel all the Eternals energies in the hope of controlling Tiamut and putting him back to sleep.

Sersi learns that Ikaris knew about the Celestials actual plans and this is why he left the group hundreds of years ago. He killed Ajak because she had decided to help stop the emergence and save Earth.

The group go to where Tiamut is and attempt to use the device – Ikaris and Sprite attempt to stop them. Sersi then uses the device to amplify her power and turn Tiamut to marble just as his hand and part of his head is emerging from the Indian Ocean.

Ikaris flies off into space (towards the sun – unclear if he just left or flew into the sun and killed himself), then Sersi makes Sprite a real human with what remains of her power.

A few days (?) later Thena, Makkari, and Druig leave in the ship to seek out other Eternals and try and stop the cycle of destruction. Sersi, Kingo, and Phastos stay on Earth but are then pulled into space by Arishem and vanish.

The two end credit stingers: 1) Dane is looking at an old box and pulls out a sword that is wrapped up. Just as he is about to touch it, an off screen voice stops him. 2) On the Eternals’ ship, Pip the Troll appears and introduces Starfox.

The timeline isn’t clear, but we do know most of the events that take place in Eternals should happen after Endgame. ....

Same Reddit plot leak was also reported by Inverse:
ETERNALS LEAK REVEALS MASSIVE SPOILERS ABOUT MARVEL'S NEXT EPIC
ERIC FRANCISCO   MARCH 31, 2021
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/marvel-eternals-reddit-leak-spoilers-post-credits-scenes

As usual, merchandising precedes the release of the Marvel film and can also be spoilery:
ETERNALS Spoilers: 10 Biggest Reveals From The Recent Toy And Promo Art Leaks
Josh Wilding   January 4, 2021
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/eternals/eternals-spoilers-10-biggest-reveals-from-the-recent-toy-and-promo-art-leaks-a181295#gs.zeub2z

First LEGO Marvel Eternals set arrives at LEGO.com – sort of
Chris Wharfe   April 21, 2021
https://www.brickfanatics.com/first-lego-marvel-eternals-set-arrives-at-lego-com-sort-of/

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Chloe Zhao Won The Oscar So Give Us The Eternals Trailer In Celebration, Marvel
COREY CHICHIZOLA     APR. 25. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2566413/chloe-zhao-won-the-oscar-so-give-us-the-eternals-trailer-in-celebration-marvel 

Over the past year countless movie projects were delayed, many up to a full year. This includes some Marvel flicks, notably Chloe Zhao’s Eternals. Zhao was just awarded an Academy Award for Best Director thanks to her acclaimed work in Nomadland, and now fans will no doubt want Marvel to finally reveal the first Eternals trailer in celebration.

Ahead of last year’s countless release shake-ups, Eternals was set to arrive to arrive in November of 2020. But it was pushed back alongside Black Widow, and there’s still been no footage released for the epic cosmic tale. But now that Eternals is officially helmed by an Oscar winner, the call for a trailer will likely be much louder.
Filmmaker Chloe Zhao’s work was introduced to many thanks to Nomadland, which has been available to stream throughout most of Awards Season. The Frances McDormand-led drama featured breathtaking visuals and cinematography, and it’ll be interesting to see how those sensibilities translate to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Both of these interviews were long - I only quoted portions, but you may wish to read the entire interviews...

Kevin Feige on Chloé Zhao’s ‘Spectacular’ Approach to ‘Eternals’ and Who the Film’s ‘Lead’ Character Is (EXCLUSIVE)
By Kate Aurthur   April 28, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/kevin-feige-chloe-zhao-eternals-1234962496/ 

For Variety‘s post-Oscars cover story on Chloé Zhao, Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios, and the impresario behind the Marvel Cinematic Universe, sang the “Eternals” director’s praises two days before the Oscar ceremony. He also made fun of the idea of doing an interview about something that hadn’t yet happened: Zhao’s widely anticipated Oscar wins for best director and picture for “Nomadland.” (It worked out!)

“I’m excited to answer your questions about the future,” Feige said on Friday. “I’d also like to give you a few quotes about when ‘Eternals’ wins best picture, and when ‘Avengers 5’ is the biggest movie of all time — so let’s bank those quotes as well.”
When Chloé approached Marvel to say she’s a fan and wanted to direct a Marvel movie, what was your reaction? And how quickly did you arrive at “Eternals” for her?
Well, my memory of events, which is always colored by our own experiences, of course, is that she first popped up for “Black Widow.” Brad Winderbaum, who is a producer on “Black Widow,” either had an initial meeting with her and then she was going to come back in and do a pitch meeting — but she took herself out of it. She she didn’t have the time, or she wasn’t ready yet, or maybe she was gone off to shoot or prep “Nomadland” — I don’t remember exactly.

These are the kind of filmmakers we want to work with, regardless of the size of the film they’ve done before. Unique voices, with unique things to say. And in her case, which is not always a prerequisite by any means, she was a giant fan, both of the MCU and of the comics fan and of the genre. Which watching her movies you wouldn’t necessarily guess. So it was neat that she let that be known.

And then later, Nate Moore was beginning to put his list together for filmmakers on “Eternals,” and she was been on the list for that reason: because we knew she was in our world. The two of them started working on something that they then brought to me, and it was an absolute spectacular pitch that Chloé put together. A presentation that Chloé put together about a very bold and very ambitious sprawling 7000-year story of humanity and our place in the cosmos.”

Chloé has such a distinct visual style. How will we see that translate into “Eternals”?
You’ll see it very directly. She had shot “Nomadland” before she had come to do “Eternals.” I knew that occasionally she would go by herself in her solar-powered van and drive to South Dakota to make this little movie she was working on. OK! That’s neat; that’s different, but OK.

What she talked about was really fighting for practical locations, for practical elements — yes, in a movie that is full of visual effects and characters with extraordinary powers, but doing as much as possible on far-flung locations. And that starts to reap benefits visually immediately.

We cut a little sample reel together, I remember, to show [Disney higher-ups]. And it was so beautiful, and I had to keep saying, “This is right out of a camera; there’s no VFX work to this at all!” Because it was a beautiful sunset, with perfect waves and mist coming up from the shore on this giant cliffside — really, really impressive stuff.

Then seeing “Nomadland” after we had shot “Eternals,” you go, “Oh! That is not just what she wanted to bring to Marvel, to get out of a virtual greenscreen world, which is often the case in our films. This is a signature style.” Of her, of our DP Ben [Davis], and of Josh [James Richards, “Nomadland’s” cinematographer].

“Eternals” expands the MCU in terms of representation, with its large international cast, its first LGBTQ superhero — I know some of those things are baked into the “Eternals,” but how many of those expansive ideas came from Chloé?
Well, the notion of switching up the genders, sexualities and ethnicities of the characters from the comics, was baked in initially — that was part of what Nate Moore was really advocating for in moving “Eternals” to the top of the list for us to start working on. What exactly the makeup was between when Nate put together his internal discussion document, which is how we always start on all of our projects, and what she came in and did, I don’t recall exactly.

When it came to casting, that also did affect it. There were some characters that we change from male to female, there were some characters that we knew how we were altering them from the books. But then also it came down to casting. So for Sersi, for instance — and if there was a lead in this ensemble, it is Sersi, it is Gemma Chan — we looked at and read all sorts of women for that part. And ended up really believing that Gemma was best for it. And thankfully, she’s proven that to be the case in the final movie.

So, of course, Chloé was a big part of that decision, and of every casting decision. Some of it was some of it was done beforehand, and that continued once she was on board as director.

Chloé Zhao on Making Oscars History and How She Stayed True to Herself Directing Marvel’s ‘Eternals’
By Kate Aurthur   April 28, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/directors/chloe-zhao-oscars-nomadland-marvel-eternals-dracula-1234961719/ 

Just hours after the ceremony ended, Zhao met with Variety for a photo shoot and a Zoom interview about her historic journey to the 93rd annual (semi-socially distanced) Academy Awards.
Kevin Feige said your original plan was that you were actually going to finish “Eternals” and it was even going to come out before you edited “Nomadland.” But because of COVID, you finished “Nomadland” so that was ready first. Is that right?
Yeah, I think so. I mean they were really back-to-back, those two movies.
“Eternals” will have Marvel’s first gay superhero, a deaf character, a huge international cast. Did Marvel say yes to all those things?
It’s just been such an incredible experience working with the team at Marvel. I want to be careful saying “my vision,” even though I do want people to know they did support what I wanted to do. I want people to know that. But I also want to make sure they know that I got the support of this incredibly talented team, some of the most talented artists in the world. And it really is a village to make this film, but they did let me lead. Yes.
During a conversation you had with Barry Jenkins for Variety earlier this year, when you were talking about “Eternals,” you said, “Can I put a spin on it while still being true to the essence of it?” How did you do that?
Jack Kirby and his imagination, his incredible work, is really the foundation of it. On top of that, there is what Marvel Studios has built, this incredible journey they have going on. And then on top of that is me as a fan of the MCU. And then, me as a fan of the genre, but also growing up with sci-fi and manga and fantasy films. And how can we have this big melting pot and cook up something that may just taste a little bit different? It was just an exciting thing; all of us went in wanting to do that. We’ll see.

You’ve said you’re getting a writing credit on it, and I know you’re in post-production now. Are you editing it too?
No. I’m working with two incredible editors, Craig Wood and Dylan Tichenor. And they’ve taught me so much. They were very patient with me, because they know it’s the first time that I’ve collaborated with editors that way. They’ve really helped me find the language to be able to communicate with them in a way that I hadn’t had to do to this extent.

Where are you with “Eternals” right now?
Final stretch. Just like sculpturing, you never want it to end. You just want to keep going until they tell you you can’t keep going anymore.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Includes brief shots from Eternals starting at around the 2:20 mark...

Marvel Studios Celebrates The Movies
Marvel Entertainment May 3, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So the Eternals have been on Earth and from what I know are actually tasked with keeping the Earth safe...

...Marvel better come up with a damn good excuse as to why they were nowhere to be found during 2012 Avengers (Loki+Chitauri would have destroyed more than New York if left unchecked), Age of Ultron (Ultron would have destroyed all life on Earth) and especially Infinity War/Endgame.

I just hope that the explanation isn't a damn cat (sorry Flerkin) again.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Smad said:

So the Eternals have been on Earth and from what I know are actually tasked with keeping the Earth safe...

...Marvel better come up with a damn good excuse as to why they were nowhere to be found during 2012 Avengers (Loki+Chitauri would have destroyed more than New York if left unchecked), Age of Ultron (Ultron would have destroyed all life on Earth) and especially Infinity War/Endgame.

I just hope that the explanation isn't a damn cat (sorry Flerkin) again.

If the movie takes inspiration from Neil Gaiman's Eternals miniseries, then it might involve them having suffered collective amnesia/mindwiping and all having to slowly recall who they are. That's how he accounted for writing a book about a bunch of characters no one had cared about since Jack Kirby left Marvel.

• Love 3
(edited)

Media breakdowns of Eternals footage from above-posted Marvel Phase 4 video...

Eternals First Footage Breakdown: Everything Revealed
THOMAS BACON   My 3, 2021
https://screenrant.com/eternals-marvel-trailer-footage-breakdown-story-characters-reveals/

Eternals Video Breakdown: We Finally Got Our First Glimpse, Here's What We Found
JOSEPH C FURNISH    May 5, 2021
https://movieweb.com/eternals-video-breakdown-character-reveals/

Screenshot from video:
eternals-cast-woods.jpg 
(pic source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Marvel Studios Reportedly Developing Eternals 2
Lauren Rouse     May 08, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-eternals-2-sequel-rumors

In a recent episode of his YouTube show, movie pundit John Campea revealed that Marvel Studios already has plans for an Eternals 2 film. Campea said he reached out to someone "more inside the situation" than he is to find out why more Marvel sequels weren't included in the studio's latest sizzle reel.

This insider responded with:

"It's basically the same reason Avengers 5 and Eternals 2 weren't announced. They were only announcing those films up to 2023 that have verified release dates. There are over 20+ projects on the board."

Campea added to this response, saying "we all know there's going to be an Avengers 5 and there's going to be an Eternals 2."

ETA: The Eternals comments were made at the 2:18 mark in the linked YouTube video.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Salma Hayek on ‘Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard,’ ‘Eternals’ and Her Secret Near-Fatal Battle With COVID
By Marc Malkin    May 19, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/features/salma-hayek-eternals-house-of-gucci-hitmans-wifes-bodyguard-1234975898/ 

Chloé Zhao will never forget one particular night shoot while filming “Eternals,” Marvel’s upcoming movie about a group of immortals living on Earth

Spoiler

whose leader is Ajak,

played by Salma Hayek. It was a cold and drizzly evening on location in an English forest in the fall of 2019, and the Oscar-winning director told the cast, which includes Angelina Jolie and Kumail Nanjiani, that they could return to their trailers while some technical issues were being resolved and it was unclear when the cameras would start rolling again.

But Hayek remained on set, sitting on an apple box while listening to Nils Frahm’s song “Says” on her earphones. “I think she saw that I was overwhelmed, so she asked me to take a moment with her,” Zhao recalls. “She got me to sit by her and rest my head on her lap, and she put her earphones over my ears. It was some kind of calming musical soundscape. We just sat there quietly while the hectic scene went on around us. It was the five minutes I really needed in that moment.

Spoiler

I remember thinking, this is what Ajak would do with her healing power if she sees one of her Eternals in trouble.”

Hayek knows about healing. She spent the better part of the past year recovering from a near fatal case of COVID-19, a fact she chose to keep quiet until now. During an interview over Zoom, she reveals that she battled the virus in the early days of the pandemic.
And talk about being an action star — you’re playing a superhero next in Marvel’s “Eternals.”
It never crossed my mind to be in a Marvel movie. I guess that I thought that boat had sailed, and it was an absolute shock. All of a sudden, I got a call: “They want to talk to you about a new franchise.” And I was like, “What?” And I said OK, but they don’t tell you any information until you’re on the call. It’s kind of hard to be an action hero if you’re Mexican. It’s really hard to be an action hero if you’re a Mexican and a woman. But to be an action hero, being Mexican, a woman, and my age, it felt like they were punking me. And then the worst part is that I was one of the first people they cast. I had to keep my mouth shut for so many months. I couldn’t tell a soul. And I couldn’t wait for the day that I could say it.
The cast and characters of “Eternals” are so diverse. Do you think Hollywood is finally making strides when it comes to being more inclusive?
I think that there are people in power who have wanted this change for a long time. But it takes a lot of elements for it to happen. For example, [Marvel vice president of film production] Victoria Alonso, I cannot love this woman more. She is extraordinary. She was very supportive to all the cast. And when you talk to her, you can see that this was something meaningful to her for a long time. Even [Marvel chief] Kevin Feige was very proud of it. But I was terrified. They tell you you’re going to be in this movie, but they can’t give you a script, and you have to sign the contract. You have to negotiate and sign the contract, and you cannot tell anyone.

So how much did you know about “Eternals” when you signed on?
I knew the name of my character.

Spoiler

But don’t look for it in the comics. When I did look at the comics, I was a man.

Spoiler

When they finally announced you as Ajak, you wrote on Instagram, “It used to be the father of all eternals, but girls, this is OUR time!” “Our” was in all caps.
It was hard to believe, so when it happens to you it’s important that you pass it on and say, “Yes, it’s happening. It’s really, really happening.” My husband is very feminist, and he does a lot of studies on this. I remember a long time ago that he told me that women have a harder time asking for a promotion or for a raise. They really try to justify it. Men normally ask for it prematurely. It has to do with self-esteem and with systematic and constant sexism. It takes women a lot of courage to ask. They’re afraid they’re going to get fired. So if it’s going well for you, if you see the change, it’s good to say that it is happening for us. I know that it’s not happening for every woman, but it gave me courage when I saw it happening for other women, even if it was not happening to me. I’m in a great place now, but I have experienced suffering. I choose not to talk about it because I like to stay positive. When people see me, and not just girls, minorities or even short people — anybody — I want them to think even if things don’t look like they can happen, anything can happen. But I don’t want it to be based on you have to suffer a lot and then eventually it’s going to happen. I want it to be based on why not?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

On 5/24/2021 at 9:37 AM, Anduin said:

Looks pretty good. I've been fooled by trailers before, but still. Looks good. I want to see it.

Anyone recognise the music?

Here comes Marvel taking all my money again.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Looks pretty good. I've been fooled by trailers before, but still. Looks good. I want to see it.

Anyone recognise the music?

Pretty sure it's Brenda Lee, End of the World from the early 1960s. Sounds like it's been edited to sound distorted. 

It looks very visually appealing. I'm still not really feeling any pull towards the characters themselves, maybe because there's so many of them that I keep forgetting who they all are and what they can do. I'm sure I'll watch it eventually, but not sure yet if I'll rush to a theater in November for this. Shang-Chi, yes. This? I'm not sure yet. 

Also not sure how I feel about the joke at the end about Richard Madden (don't know his character's name, Icarus, maybe?) being a potential replacement as leader of the Avengers. I know it's just a joke, but my gut reaction was "no, you most certainly cannot". So I guess Marvel has some work to do to win me over on these characters and where they've been through all these crises. 

Edited by Jenniferbug
  • Love 3
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Pretty sure it's Brenda Lee, End of the World from the early 1960s.

It's Skeeter Davis.

Very much a teaser, they're definitely easing us in. I imagine they'll explain why they backed off when Thanos was doing his thing.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 3
(edited)

So many questions. So Ikaris and Lady Sersi are the OTP?  I already approve...yes I hate Dane Whitman that much and yes I am aware I'm probably not being fair...stupid Crystal 😂, stupid love triangle.

Are they implying that the Eternals are not human/super human? That is weird, when I saw the space ship I expected that to be the First Celestial. Although, maybe that was just creative editing?

Other than that it looks fabulous, I really hope to watch this in the theater when it's released.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4
(edited)

Blue outfit guy looks confusingly like Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier but with lighter hair. If they do ever team up with the Avengers, that is going to be weird.

I didn’t know that they had filmed some of this in the Canary Islands, but one look at their ancient civilization set with the mountains and sand and palm trees in this trailer and it was obvious. Nowhere else on this planet  is quite as ruggedly, volcanically, sub-tropically beautiful. It turns out to have been the island of Fuerteventura, if anyone now feels like they need to visit. One of the best places on Earth for a chilled-out trip (now with added Marvel!).

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 3
(edited)

Marvel.com article breaking down the above released teaser trailer...

The Eternal Ikaris Thinks He Can Lead the Avengers
BY CHRISTINE DINH   May 24, 2021
https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/eternal-ikaris-thinks-he-can-lead-avengers-teaser 

Here are 13 things we see in the two minute teaser!

1. Sprite ponders who will lead the Avengers now that Captain Rogers and Iron Man are gone. Ikaris boldly states, “I can lead them,” which causes the rest of the Eternals to break out in laughter.

2. Gilgamesh clearly is a master cook as he lays out an entire spread for the team to feast on.

3. The Eternals teaser opens ominously to the tune, “The End of the World,” performed by Skeeter Davis.

4. The Eternals arrive on Earth in a massive space craft.

5. Sersi finds Earth and humankind beautiful.

6. Phastos is able to create with his mind.

7. Ajak reveals their mission was to aid humanity, “We have watched and guided. We have helped them progress, and seen them accomplish wonders. Throughout the years, we have never interfered, until now.”

8. Thena is a skilled warrior.

9. Makkari has the gift of super-speed as she’s seen reading through a massive collection of books, as well as save a child from being crushed by a falling structure.

10. The romance between Sersi and Ikaris spans centuries.

11. Kingo is a Bollywood performer.

12. Sprite is a fan of karoke.

13. The Eternals’ powers appear as a gold energy source.

The outstanding ensemble cast includes Richard Madden as the all-powerful Ikaris, Gemma Chan as humankind-loving Sersi, Kumail Nanjiani as cosmic-powered Kingo, Lauren Ridloff as the super-fast Makkari, Brian Tyree Henry as the intelligent inventor Phastos, Salma Hayek as the wise and spiritual leader Ajak, Lia McHugh as the eternally young, old-soul Sprite, Don Lee as the powerful Gilgamesh, Barry Keoghan as aloof loner Druig, and Angelina Jolie as the fierce warrior Thena. Kit Harington plays Dane Whitman.

Marvel Studios’ Eternals will make their Marvel Cinematic Universe debut in theaters this November 5, 2021!

Edited by tv echo

Looks like an...interesting take on the characters, between the trailer and spoilers. I like the costumes. And the cast looks interesting, though it would have been nice for them to hire someone Middle Eastern to play Gilgamesh...but oh well. At least we have Salma Hayek, better than nothing.

I still hope that's an editing trick.

Same.

So Ikaris and Lady Sersi are the OTP?  I already approve...yes I hate Dane Whitman that much and yes I am aware I'm probably not being fair...stupid Crystal 😂, stupid love triangle.

Not a fan of Dane Whitman either, but for some reason her and Ikaris as a couple just seems wrong to me. Then again, I always liked Sersi better as a jet-setting party-girl socialite from the comics...her relationship with Dane and involvement in the triangle just angsted up her character, and not for the better.

Interesting looking trailer.  With that many Eternals it seems likely at least one of them will end up betraying group.  I'm not basing that on the comics (which I haven't read), just the usual movie and comic book rules.

Being very late to the Marvel party and having missed all of the great movies in the theaters, I am looking forward to this one!  I won't miss any more in the theaters, and this trailer has me excited for this one.  I know nothing about the Eternals, but I love me some Robb Stark... I mean, Richard Madden... so I am all in.

• Love 2

This has got a great cast, and I am really curious about how all this is going to go. The Eternals have been a lot of different things over the years and have been on the back burner for awhile in Marvel, so seeing where they fit into the MCU should be interesting. 

I asked a friend about this trailer, and he said that it apparently starred "people that could have stopped Thanos, but didn't." so I think that the post Infinity War state of things will be a part of the story. The "super powerful beings do not want to interfere with the less advanced species" thing is a pretty popular trope, or even just advanced cultures keeping their technology or powers to themselves like Wakanda did for so long, so that is presumably going to be a theme of the movie. I can imagine a bit where they show up to see some of the heroes and they're all "late for the party, huh?" although that will probably be a second movie thing, they will probably stick to setting up the Eternals for now. Especially if they want to build up a ton of mythology like in the Neil Gaiman run. 

• Love 1

I asked a friend about this trailer, and he said that it apparently starred "people that could have stopped Thanos, but didn't."

Well, technically Thor could've too, but the MCU didn't go that route. They could go that route as well for these characters as well.

Especially if they want to build up a ton of mythology like in the Neil Gaiman run. 

The Gaiman run was...ok. I hope they aren't solely using that as inspiration for the characters.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Well, technically Thor could've too, but the MCU didn't go that route. They could go that route as well for these characters as well.

Maybe they'll use Captain Marvel's reply when Rhodey asked where the hell she's been - "there are a lot of other planets with problems, and they don't have you guys."  (I won't go too far off topic, but that was a bullshit answer... ugh.) 

(edited)

This is coming out on my birthday, so I'm excited for it on that front - and it certainly looks great.  I do think they've got some work to do to sell this to the general public though.  People seem to compare Eternals to Guardians in terms of obscurity, but in retrospect I think that film was a much easier sell than many thought.  There's an inherent curiosity about, say, a Tree and a Raccoon as superheroes - this film has... the Kings of the North?  Angelina & Salma doing Dr. Strange stuff?  Other humans of varying levels of fame in non-iconic costumes?

If anything, I think they should at least take a page out of the Guardians promo book, and just give us a full trailer just telling us who everyone is and what their deal is.  Shoot, bring back John C Reilly if possible - "This guy's Ikaris - he can..." (I... don't actually know what any of them can do.)  After that, it would be great to know something about what the story is about - let us know what the Eternals are for, and who they are fighting against.

Edited by Chyromaniac
spelling
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

This is coming out on my birthday, so I'm excited for it on that front - and it certainly looks great.  I do think they've got some work to do to sell this to the general public though.  People seem to compare Eternals to Guardians in terms of obscurity, but in retrospect I think that film was a much easier sell than many thought.  There's an inherent curiosity about, say, a Tree and a Raccoon as superheroes - this film has... the Kings of the North?  Angelina & Salma doing Dr. Strange stuff?  Other humans of varying levels of fame in non-iconic costumes?

If anything, I think they should at least take a page out of the Guardians promo book, and just give us a full trailer just telling us who everyone is and what their deal is.  Shoot, bring back John C Reilly if possible - "This guy's Ikaris - he can..." (I... don't actually know what any of them can do.)  After that, it would be great to know something about what the story is about - let us know what the Eternals are for, and who they are fighting against.

I think that at this point, people should have more faith in Marvel.  Revealing all of that in just a trailer would be too much, IMO.  I like the fact that I know nothing about them and want to go in to the movie totally unspoiled so that I can be surprised.  It's Marvel - even the worst movie they made wasn't so bad that I'd regret seeing it in a theater.  (Thor 2, I'm looking at you...) 

For those who must know all about the Eternals before going to the theater, rumor is that the entire plot/script was leaked on Reddit - enjoy.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think that at this point, people should have more faith in Marvel.  Revealing all of that in just a trailer would be too much, IMO.  I like the fact that I know nothing about them and want to go in to the movie totally unspoiled so that I can be surprised.  It's Marvel - even the worst movie they made wasn't so bad that I'd regret seeing it in a theater.  (Thor 2, I'm looking at you...) 

For those who must know all about the Eternals before going to the theater, rumor is that the entire plot/script was leaked on Reddit - enjoy.

Never! If something doesn't quite look absolutely perfect, it's clearly the worst thing ever. There's no wonky but fun or interesting, no middle ground. Apparently. I'm not perfect myself, I can live with my entertainment being imperfect too.

Maybe I'm just in the mood for some big cosmic weirdness, but I like the trailer and I'm looking forward to the movie.

• Love 4

This is definitely a swing that Feige wouldn't have made in Phase 1 or 2, but now, he's earned the right to take big chances. And if it's too weird for mainstream, they can still use the characters and breadcrumbs they lay down in the other movies.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree. I love that Marvel has reached the point that their trailers can be more about atmosphere and setting the tone than about setting up the story. 

Plus, I understand the comparison to Guardians based on the obscurity of the source material but Marvel is in a different place now and this trailer reflects that. With Guardians they needed to convince their core comic audience to give it a shot. Now they are more focused on expanding outside that core and this trailer reflects that. 

(edited)

Marvel's Eternals Trailer Racked Up 77 Million Views in a Single Day
ANTHONY LUND — May 27, 2021
https://movieweb.com/eternals-trailer-views/

Monday saw the release of the first Eternals trailer, the third film in Phase 4 of the MCU, and it landed with a bang, racking up over 77 million views in just the first 24 hours. While some wondered if the appetite for Marvel would continue after its mammoth Infinity Saga came to an end in in 2019, this seems to prove that they have nothing to worry about just yet.
With the future of cinema very much in doubt for most of the last year, and the question of whether recovery would be possible following the Covid19 pandemic, many hopes have been riding on the upcoming MCU releases for getting things back on track. With so much interest in the trailer for Eternals, which eclipsed the trailers for both Black Widow and Shang Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings, it looks like the future of cinemas could be saved in the real world by the heroes of a fictional one.
According to Deadline, the 77 million views marked the highest number of total views for a Disney or Marvel movie trailer since way back in March 2020, beating the likes of Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (61.7 million) and the live action remake of Aladdin (60.8 million), and both of those movies went on to do mighty fine business at the box office, which is just what is needed right now. However, while it dominated movie trailer numbers, Eternals couldn't come close to the 125 million pulled in by Disney+ Marvel series The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, although it did have the slightly unfair advantage of being shown during the Super Bowl which would add a hefty chunk to those numbers.

Edited by tv echo
On 5/25/2021 at 5:16 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Maybe they'll use Captain Marvel's reply when Rhodey asked where the hell she's been - "there are a lot of other planets with problems, and they don't have you guys."  (I won't go too far off topic, but that was a bullshit answer... ugh.) 

Gaiman's interpretation of the characters started with them all having lost their memories and powers, and just living normal lives among humans. I'm expecting the movie to start from a similar point.

Some, if not all, of them will have an awakening for some reason, and remember their previous lives and their relationships to one another, then get together to fight a traitor in their midst. It's been a long, long time since I read Gaiman's Eternals, but I'm fairly sure this was the basic template.

Okay, so it has some similarities to Captain Marvel in that it would start with a mystery of 'who am I?' but Marvel have no need to shy away from that and I don't think they will. It's a mystery on a larger scale, and one with mythical undertones that they can play with.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

According to Deadline, the 77 million views marked the highest number of total views for a Disney or Marvel movie trailer since way back in March 2020, beating the likes of Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (61.7 million) and the live action remake of Aladdin (60.8 million

How can this be possible? YouTube assures me that everyone hated The Eternals trailer and, that it will totally bomb!😂

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

How can this be possible? YourTube assures me that everyone hated The Eternals trailer and, that it will totally bomb!😂

Is it another "too woke to succeed" MCU movie, that will fail just like Black Panther and Captain Marvel? Those manosphere losers on YouTube still haven't forgiven Brie Larson for making them all look like the morons that they are.

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Is it another "too woke to succeed" MCU movie, that will fail just like Black Panther and Captain Marvel? Those manosphere losers on YouTube still haven't forgiven Brie Larson for making them all look like the morons that they are.

Yep. 😂😊 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 5/26/2021 at 12:28 PM, xaxat said:

That might be because of the government of China. As of a couple of weeks ago, Eternals had not been approved for a release in there. In addition, the government has censored news of Zhao's Oscar win. Maybe Marvel is doing something similar to curry favor.

That's 99.9% likely to be true - look at how much trouble John Cena got into when he talked about Taiwan.  I'm sure all of the studios are very, very careful when it comes to dealing with China.  They're not going to risk losing hundreds of millions of dollars to promote a director.   This isn't a Spielberg movie - there aren't many non-fans who would decide to give this a try just because it's Chloe Zhao and not some random non-Oscar winner.

• Love 1

Out of all the Marvel characters, these one's I know the least.  I couldn't place what characters were in the trailers.  That said, I'm really looking forward to this movie.  It's kind of neat to be introduced to a group I have little familiarity with (except Black Knight).  The trailer itself looked good, I'm happy it mostly focused on the characters interacting since that's what I'm looking for in these MCU movies (honestly, Thor and Loki in Thor 2 kind of saved the movie for me, so glad they added more of that in Thor 3 especially since we're unlikely to see that in upcoming movies).