Type keyword(s) to search

Mare of Easttown Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Creative writing... maybe he wrote a chick-lit 😂

496260B6-B2E3-4F86-91B2-06AF4C3CD133.jpeg

This points to literature, not genre. Murder aeco dqry to broken relationships and corruption. Not unlike this show. 

Rejected Titles:

• Mare Of Deadwood
  • Mare Of West Philadelphia / Bel Air
  • Mare Of Minneapolis - She will make it after all

ETA: Another reason Minneapolis was ruled out:

Actually United States does have milk in a bag. It's not a national thing but it's quite common in the upper Midwest, states like Minnesota Iowa and Wisconsin. You can find it at a chain called Kwik Trip (Kwik Star in Iowa).

Edited by paigow
(edited)

I think Erin committed suicide and I think Mare knows that the first girl who disappeared (name?) was killed by a relative of hers and so she is deliberately not solving the case. I think that is why they brought in the second detective. He will solve that first case and force Mare into reveling the truth.

removed content

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm going to spec in for Lori: she had access to John's gun, that Kenny used to shoot Dylan. 

If John slept with Erin, she could have done it from either jealousy, or fear of what Kenny would do if he found out.

If it turns out the bullets match, I guess we'll know.

• Useful 1

I was wrong about the who dumped the bike. They did remind us Freddie existed, showing him hobbling through the crowd at the town fair or whatever that was. And in another callback to the premiere we have another reason to wonder what Betty's backyard security cam is going to capture (If Mare doesn't delete it first) I guess she is just assuming that the kid who was on the deleted footage was the person she spotted in the alleyway in the premiere when she was driving home from the bar? Come on, Mare! 

Personally I think we have a 2 perp situation. If Katie's abductor followed the same M.O. and shot her then dumped the body somewhere else (not really trying to hide the body) then she would have been found. And I don't know that we can necessarily assume that the young woman seen in the episode 4 preview is Katie, though the editing suggested that.

11 hours ago, FemmyV said:

I'm going to spec in for Lori: she had access to John's gun, that Kenny used to shoot Dylan. 

If John slept with Erin, she could have done it from either jealousy, or fear of what Kenny would do if he found out.

If it turns out the bullets match, I guess we'll know.

Is there only one pistol in Easttown except for the cops?

Why would Kenny not have his own gun? 

(edited)

Just saw the E04 promo, why would Dylan want to smother DJ? If he isn’t the biological father, he won’t be responsible for him anymore. He can go & enjoy his life with that lovely Brianna!

DAB456EF-0A84-485E-9D62-00D35395E52E.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
Replaced the photo
  • LOL 4
(edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 7:55 PM, LoveLeigh said:

I think Erin committed suicide and I think Mare knows that the first girl who disappeared (name?) was killed by a relative of hers and so she is deliberately not solving the case. I think that is why they brought in the second detective. He will solve that first case and force Mare into reveling the truth.

Some funny comments above so my other speculation is that this show is a comedy? 

The show is not a comedy. This site makes an "ignore user" option available. Kinda handy sometimes.

Edited by Jextella

Feverish dream thought - the police chief is in on some elaborate corruption/drug scheme, brought Zabel in to keep an eye on Mare, and framed her. 

Yeah, it's the chief. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Just saw the E04 promo,..

Who waits one year to make a ransom demand? The reward is more than $5k. Dawn is desperate, but she should know something is wrong

• Love 1
8 hours ago, paigow said:

Who waits one year to make a ransom demand? The reward is more than $5k. Dawn is desperate, but she should know something is wrong

Someone who knows Dawn’s financial (only asking for $5K). Someone who wants to deflect the attention/heat from Erin’s murder investigation.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Someone who knows Dawn’s financial (only asking for $5K). Someone who wants to deflect the attention/heat from Erin’s murder investigation.

If the kidnapper spent $100 / wk [rent, food, utilities, moving around] keeping Katie alive for a year... the genius is below break-even....

• LOL 2

Stray thought - We have seen the exact same shot 3 times, in 3 episodes.  It is the 'bowling alley' shot from the complaining older lady's backyard all the way past the shed, to the back porch of the house behind hers.  We have seen the hoodie guy, the security camera shot, and the graffiti shot.  The angle is the same and the direction is the same.  It seems odd to me that this particular shot has been emphasized 3 times, and in the first 3 episodes.  Ideas?

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

Stray thought - We have seen the exact same shot 3 times, in 3 episodes.  It is the 'bowling alley' shot from the complaining older lady's backyard all the way past the shed, to the back porch of the house behind hers.  We have seen the hoodie guy, the security camera shot, and the graffiti shot.  The angle is the same and the direction is the same.  It seems odd to me that this particular shot has been emphasized 3 times, and in the first 3 episodes.  Ideas?

Because that call from the older lady is one of the first things that happens in the show, I do think it has significance that will come to bear later in the story. Mare doesn't give it much weight, so maybe the audience misses it too. But I agree with you, there's gotta be a reason it keeps cropping up. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

I feel the same. If we had actually met the granddaughter referenced in the first episode (the one who'd complained about the peeping tom originally) I would be of the mind that she will be yet a new girl to go missing - and that perhaps her case and katie's are connected but Erin's is an outlier. But not having actually seen her it's harder to go there, yet. (I will also disclose that some of the early reviews for the show made it seem like there were even more than 2 victims potentially.)

I think Kevin is the father of Erin's baby and that is why Frank was buying baby necessities for Erin. I think Carrie (Sosie Bacon) knew it and she killed Erin... probably blaming her for Kevin's death. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

There are lots of great ideas shared in this thread.

I am wondering about the wound on Erin's eyebrow and the loss of her fingertip. I believe a detective said the eyebrow wound was due to a gunshot when they found the body. The coronor said she thought the loss of the fingertip was due to a gunshot.

It seems that whoever handled the gun didn't really know what they were doing - like a kid or something. Someone for whom guns are new.

There are so many possibilities but another one might be Mare's daughter.  If her brother was involved with Erin, she might hold Erin responsible. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Speculation: Guy Pearce can’t just be some romantic interest for Mare - he must play an important in the mystery. I think it will have to do with his son. When Mare asked him if things were better with his son, he brushed it off in a way that seemed suspicious to me. I think his son lives in the area and that’s why he took this particular job.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 5/5/2021 at 12:47 PM, BingeyKohan said:

I feel the same. If we had actually met the granddaughter referenced in the first episode (the one who'd complained about the peeping tom originally) I would be of the mind that she will be yet a new girl to go missing - and that perhaps her case and katie's are connected but Erin's is an outlier. But not having actually seen her it's harder to go there, yet. (I will also disclose that some of the early reviews for the show made it seem like there were even more than 2 victims potentially.)

It is too late for a new kidnapping plot line. There are a bunch of loose threads already. 

On 5/6/2021 at 12:44 AM, LoveLeigh said:

I think Kevin is the father of Erin's baby and that is why Frank was buying baby necessities for Erin. I think Carrie (Sosie Bacon) knew it and she killed Erin... probably blaming her for Kevin's death. 

I think we got the answer this week. Frank’s DNA test came back negative. If his son were the father, Frank’s test would have shown that a close relative was the father. Unless Kevin was adopted, that rules him out.

• Love 4
(edited)

Based on previews, I'm wondering if the wonderful father of Dylan might not be involved. Mare is shown clobbering someone who is clean shaven with shorter hair, but it didn't look like the priest.  

Also, there is a picture on the hutch behind Zabel's mother, in her dining room, of baby Zabel (one presumes) that looks very similar to baby DJ.  Red hair and similar eyes. Hmmmm. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

I understand that episode 5 has a shocking moment.  I’m guessing Zabel gets killed, but it’s just a guess.

I've read that, about a moment that made reviewers gasp. I think it might be the interrogation of the suspect who smokes those cigarettes as seen in the preview (though the preview was for the rest of the season not necessarily the next episode so I could be wrong)

It looks like Mare hurts her hand at some point but still has work to do afterward, so it's not in the 'final battle' so to speak.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

I understand that episode 5 has a shocking moment.  I’m guessing Zabel gets killed, but it’s just a guess.

You know .. it's really horrible but after Episode 2, I had the feeling that Mare knew exactly where Katie is.

Now that it's taken this turn, my first reaction was to go, "okay, no, I guess not."

But what if Mare, herself, is part of the ring? And Erin somehow got mixed up in it, without Mare knowing.

That would blow the whole thing up.

sidenote: I wonder what cigarette brand Mare smoked before she switched to vaping?

Edited by FemmyV
  • LOL 1
(edited)

is it possible that Erin didn't actually know she'd been given a 'Side Door' profile under the name Jasmine? Her friend seemed supportive with Erin when they were together but for all we know she could be a meaner mean girl than Brianna and had been in on the catfishing. (Erin could have taken pics in a pink wig without intending them to go on side door.) 

Or maybe the locket just marks the date she joined Side Door and it's a sweet and affirmative company like Mary Kay where Erin/Jasmine was just working her way up to a pink cadillac!

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Based on previews, I'm wondering if the wonderful father of Dylan might not be involved. Mare is shown clobbering someone who is clean shaven with shorter hair, but it didn't look like the priest.  

Also, there is a picture on the hutch behind Zabel's mother, in her dining room, of baby Zabel (one presumes) that looks very similar to baby DJ.  Red hair and similar eyes. Hmmmm. 

It seems odd that they'd show us a scene of Zabel's mother at all if he didn't have more of a storyline coming. I do like the idea that he is involved somehow. 

On a rewatch of Ep1 I noticed a few things that connected to the Ep5 preview that might be spoilery:

Spoiler

In the preview, Mare is shown smacking some guy in what looks like an attic. The guy has dark hair and no facial hair. In Ep1, Erin says she sent a text to Dylan saying she missed sneaking into his parent's attic with him.

In the preview, Mare is shown racing into a house as if she is running after someone or trying to save someone. That house is the house of the older couple with the security camera.

16 minutes ago, Jextella said:

It seems odd that they'd show us a scene of Zabel's mother at all if he didn't have more of a storyline coming. I do like the idea that he is involved somehow. 

On a rewatch of Ep1 I noticed a few things that connected to the Ep5 preview that might be spoilery:

Reveal spoiler

In the preview, Mare is shown smacking some guy in what looks like an attic. The guy has dark hair and no facial hair. In Ep1, Erin says she sent a text to Dylan saying she missed sneaking into his parent's attic with him.

In the preview, Mare is shown racing into a house as if she is running after someone or trying to save someone. That house is the house of the older couple with the security camera.

I'm glad someone else is (almost) as obsessive as me - I could go on and on in this vein, to the level of having read on IMDB which cast members get stunt doubles in which episodes. what is wrong with me

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

I'm glad someone else is (almost) as obsessive as me - I could go on and on in this vein, to the level of having read on IMDB which cast members get stunt doubles in which episodes. what is wrong with me

In IMDB, did you noticed that Lori’s daughter - Moira Grace Ross has her own stunt double? Hmmm, I wonder why... 

🤔🤨

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

In IMDB, did you noticed that Lori’s daughter - Moira Grace Ross has her own stunt double? Hmmm, I wonder why... 

🤔🤨

eek! if I did I blocked that out, though I do remember a reviewer making an offhand comment about feeling relief that a subplot that seems to be about child abuse turns out to be adultery. Not sure if those two pieces of evidence can be tied together. I'm not sure what's going to happen with that family in general - though in the rest-of-the-season preview they did seem to indicate something is brewing. I'm also not sure there's enough time left to develop their story but we shall see.

(edited)

IMDB did me wrong in the first two episodes, though, because it only listed Jack Hinchley (Dylan) for 2 episodes at the time, so I thought he was dead, and it lists Cailee Spaeny (Erin) for all 7 episodes and she's dead.  😄  I'm confused. 

Also, about being obsessive (me too) and thinking that cute li'l Zabel is in the thick of things, didn't Mare ask him to get a warrant so they could search Erin's room for the journals? Zabel heard where they were supposed to be. He could have gone and gotten them before getting the warrant.  

I hope I'm wrong, cause I like Zabel, but, usually if I like a character that means they're bad.  😲

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

I hope I'm wrong, cause I like Zabel, but, usually if I like a character that means they're bad.  😲

I am similarly cursed, and I like Zabel a little too much, so...

Am hoping that we do get properly spoiled if Zabel is bad/getting killed off.  The beauty of lowered expectations.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

didn't Mare ask him to get a warrant so they could search Erin's room for the journals?

Mare asked Colin to get a warrant for access to SideDoor’s usernames who messaged Jasmine (Erin’s) account.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Like a SNL character that had no "gay-dar"... "perp-dar"

• LOL 2

I think Dylan got Jess and Erin involved in the prostitution somehow.  In the coming weeks preview, he's following Jess in a car, telling her to get in and that it was the three of them; Jess runs away.   Other clips show her handing a note to the police chief and being pulled out from under a bed.

What this all means, I have no idea.   Erin became pregnant and maybe Dylan knew he wasn't the dad but agreed to say so to hide the prostitution involvement?  I'm overthinking.

• Love 2

As of the end of Episode 4:

1. I think Erin's father should probably be the prime suspect in her murder.  A lot of characters are being caught up in half-truths and non-disclosure but no one has seemingly lied like he did.

• Erin's dad told Mare "All fucking night", when asked if he was home the night of Erin's murder.  Yet, at the end of episode one, they show him returning to his house in the morning.  Where had he been?  We already know he owns a gun & may be a bad shot from not being able to kill Dylan. Was he upset with Erin for having the baby?  Was he upset for having to take care of them both?  He immediately tried to place blame on Dylan as the only one who would want to hurt to her.  Of course, there's always a chance the writers could explain his being outside as something else but they sure made it look like he had been out.
  • The show has provided many winding roads and suspects to keep viewers guessing - including casting Guy Pearce as just some schmuck love interest.  I'm beginning  believe they cast a typically leading-actor in a supporting role as an intentional attempt at deflection to keep the audience guessing. 
  • Jess (Erin's supposed best friend) is some piece of work & could also be a part of another side story implicating her in a catfishing scheme.  She never told Mare (as far as what we've been shown) that Erin was lured to Sharp's Creek by Brianna & company.  Why didn't she disclose that?  One of the other interrogated teens told Mare to look in to the catfishing stuff.  Did she?
  • I'm not sure what to make of Deacon Mark yet.  He said he had a 2 minute cell phone conversation with Erin the night of the murder but never disclosed that information to detectives until confronted. Why not?  Mare said it was odd he  didn't contact them with that information & never pressed him for an answer.  He apparently also found her bike &  discarded it in a river.  Where did he get the bike?  Why did he dispose of it? Why did he avoid the detectives when they came over to question him a second time?  Is he protecting another youth who approached him for help?  Perhaps the real father of Erin's baby?

2.  I think the kidnappings will end up being unrelated to Erin's murder.  Mare & Zabel will solve those kidnappings much the way he solved the other cold case.   He said he solved the missing 10 year old's case by rechecking statements & trying to find holes in timelines.  The vehicle used in the kidnapping was a worker truck with ladders on top.  The kidnapper used the attic of an old tavern to hide his 2 victims.  White male with black hair.  Was that his property or is he some blue-collar worker?

7 hours ago, IgotThis said:

The show has provided many winding roads and suspects to keep viewers guessing - including casting Guy Pearce as just some schmuck love interest.  I'm beginning  believe they cast a typically leading-actor in a supporting role as an intentional attempt at deflection to keep the audience guessing. 

A few others have mentioned that Guy Pearce was a last minute recast for that role after the lesser known actor had a scheduling conflict or something, so I don't think we can look too much into his casting as an indicator of anything.

12 hours ago, raven said:

I think Dylan got Jess and Erin involved in the prostitution somehow.  In the coming weeks preview, he's following Jess in a car, telling her to get in and that it was the three of them; Jess runs away.   Other clips show her handing a note to the police chief and being pulled out from under a bed.

Oh, interesting spec. I kind of think Dylan actually isn't quite as horrible as many others see him but at the same time I could see this being true. Who was the other person in the car with Dylan in that scene from the promo? I couldn't tell.

55 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

A few others have mentioned that Guy Pearce was a last minute recast for that role after the lesser known actor had a scheduling conflict or something, so I don't think we can look too much into his casting as an indicator of anything.

Oh, interesting spec. I kind of think Dylan actually isn't quite as horrible as many others see him but at the same time I could see this being true. Who was the other person in the car with Dylan in that scene from the promo? I couldn't tell.

I believe it was Dylan's friend Sean.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

You know who we know owns a work van:  Brianna’s dad Tony Delrasso. In episode 2 when he confronts Mare he has a work van with ladders up top, a leather jacket and hoodie similiar to the prowler outfit and his hairdo has a similar neckline to what we saw on the kidnapper in ep. 4.  He owns a restaurant and some kind of construction related business (his name on the van), perhaps he owns the tavern too or works(ed) on it? Not sure the motive but maybe Brianna is so awful because of what her creepy dad has done to her? Also left his name off the imdb for the actor for some reason

(edited)
On 5/10/2021 at 3:01 PM, BingeyKohan said:

It's a problem for me...that's for sure :(  It's actually one reason I don't read many books. I usually have to read straight through at the expense of work and other things.

Edited by Jextella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 6:40 PM, Jextella said:

There are lots of great ideas shared in this thread.

I am wondering about the wound on Erin's eyebrow and the loss of her fingertip. I believe a detective said the eyebrow wound was due to a gunshot when they found the body. The coronor said she thought the loss of the fingertip was due to a gunshot.

It seems that whoever handled the gun didn't really know what they were doing - like a kid or something. Someone for whom guns are new.

There are so many possibilities but another one might be Mare's daughter.  If her brother was involved with Erin, she might hold Erin responsible. 

Just obsessing for a bit....

I saw a theory elsewhere that the kids killed Erin. I think that sounds so plausible based on recent events, preview and IMDB. According to IMDB Briana and family are back for a few more episodes. 

I think one of the young kids killed Erin - likely accidentally because the shot wasn't a clear hit. I think it is telling that Erin was naked without signs of rape and her body was positioned in a place that she'd be relatively easy to find.  Shoddy shooting, shoddy coverup, and remorse.

Briana may have been the culprit and Dylan and gang threatened Jess into keeping it a secret. I think it's Briana's dad who Mare is beating in the previews.

• Useful 2