Type keyword(s) to search

Mare of Easttown Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

OK this may be a stretch and my memory of the scene is pretty sketchy but when Zabel and Mare found the shooting location was there not a conversation about the trajectory of the bullet being unusual??  Could that mean a child fired the gun??  

When Mare found the body, she said the murdur durdur happened at close range. So anybody could have pulled the trigger.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jrzy said:

I read that too,  and I just rewatched episodes 5 and 6.  I am convinced that John is the actual killer and father of the baby. 

if you rewatch the scene where his dad tells him about finding billy with blood on him the night of Frank's bachelor party - before he knows it's about Billy -- when he just learns that his father knows something hinky about that night, the actor makes the skin on his face jump back, like this weird physical reaction that seems to originate behind his ears. I feel like that was the giveaway, because at that point his father could have been about to confront him with the truth that Billy told him rather than the thing his father saw out of context and didn't understand. So then he sort of seems relieved when he learns the dad doesn't know anything and he can still spin the story so it looks bad for Billy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

if you rewatch the scene where his dad tells him about finding billy with blood on him the night of Frank's bachelor party - before he knows it's about Billy -- when he just learns that his father knows something hinky about that night, the actor makes the skin on his face jump back, like this weird physical reaction that seems to originate behind his ears. I feel like that was the giveaway, because at that point his father could have been about to confront him with the truth that Billy told him rather than the thing his father saw out of context and didn't understand. So then he sort of seems relieved when he learns the dad doesn't know anything and he can still spin the story so it looks bad for Billy.

I  thought exactly the same thing,  he knew at that moment he could pin the whole thing on his brother.  I almost wish I hadn't read that VF article, because it would have been great to be surprised.  Maybe we are all off-base but it sure doesn't feel like it!     

(edited)

We haven't discussed much the implications of the gun in the finale trailer belonging to Glenn Carroll (Betty's widower). Some far better freeze-framers than I have taken convincing shots showing that's who it belongs to. I'm trying to puzzle out how that could work without feeling like the finale has way too many info dumps.

1. It's super doubtful Glenn Carroll would be the shooter himself.

2. Ergo, someone stole his gun, used it on Erin, then presumably returned it.

3. The stealing part would have had to happen during the time the security camera was inoperational or when it was operational but then Mare erased the footage.

4. But perhaps it was operational again by the time the gun was returned, so they could access footage of that.

5. OR Mare has to do another mea culpa and admit to deleting the files but maybe there's a way to retrieve them if they've been backed up somewhere. 

6. Regardless, I feel they should have established by now Glenn had been a cop in the first place. They've had a few opportunities to do that and never did (at least I don't think so - I rewatched some scenes last night to be sure).

7. This is still a LOT to do in the finale in addition to other stuff we know is going to happen. And who would have snuck into the Carrolls anyway, a Ross? 

8. Maybe the gun in the finale preview is not even relevant and my wheel spinning was for naught!

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • Love 2
On 5/25/2021 at 9:40 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Chief Carter is looking at a naked selfie of 2 women??? 

😱😱😱

D9A5737B-F75D-47F2-A81B-2895A116CFB4.jpeg

60F68E0E-8BA1-47A0-B4C9-E7E449F55DFE.jpeg

5C2D4878-2601-4B5D-B085-1D3DA052A3B4.jpeg

@SnazzyDaisy

Thanks for these pix! I'm a novice at Photoshop and can't seem to get as good adjustments as you have here.

If you have time ore inclination, I'd love to know what settings you used!

(edited)
7 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

We haven't discussed much the implications of the gun in the finale trailer belonging to Glenn Carroll (Betty's widower). Some far better freeze-framers than I have taken convincing shots showing that's who it belongs to. I'm trying to puzzle out how that could work without feeling like the finale has way too many info dumps.

1. It's super doubtful Glenn Carroll would be the shooter himself.

2. Ergo, someone stole his gun, used it on Erin, then presumably returned it.

3. The stealing part would have had to happen during the time the security camera was inoperational or when it was operational but then Mare erased the footage.

4. But perhaps it was operational again by the time the gun was returned, so they could access footage of that.

5. OR Mare has to do another mea culpa and admit to deleting the files but maybe there's a way to retrieve them if they've been backed up somewhere. 

6. Regardless, I feel they should have established by now Glenn had been a cop in the first place. They've had a few opportunities to do that and never did (at least I don't think so - I rewatched some scenes last night to be sure).

7. This is still a LOT to do in the finale in addition to other stuff we know is going to happen. And who would have snuck into the Carrolls anyway, a Ross? 

8. Maybe the gun in the finale preview is not even relevant and my wheel spinning was for naught!

I don't think that your wheel-spinning was for naught. The existence of this gun is making me crazy. I wasn't able to adequately screen shot it either but I have seen others' shots and that leads me to believe that it is a valid, important clue.

We know that an old cop gun was the weapon used in Erin's murder. It is possible that Mare's father's gun exists but we have nothing to indicate that is true. Instead, we suddenly have Glenn's old gun and, at this point, must consider that it is the likely murder weapon. I agree that they could have established Glenn that was a cop prior to Episode 7 but whatever...here we are.

Assuming that Glenn's gun is the murder weapon, then someone would first need to know that it existed. Who would know that and why?

Then, the decision is made to steal Glenn's gun and return it once the deed is done.  It could imply that Erin's murder was planned rather than a crime of opportunity or an accident.

There is no shortage of guns among the residents. It seems incredibly stupid to steal and return a gun - particularly a rare and easily distinguishable gun - and risk being captured on the security footage. 

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 2
(edited)

I have a different take on Glenn Carroll's gun.  I think it is the same as the murder weapon but may not be it ... Mare's dad was a cop and he had one (where is it now?)  Just as they never before established that Mr. Carroll was a cop and they haven't established that Old Man Ross (Gordon Clapp) was or was not a cop... I think the preview weapon is a red herring except to show what a real old detective revolver looked like so you can contrast all the automatic pistols being shown used by others.  I think there's a few of these old revolvers floating around. 

Edited by Arthur Jury
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Arthur Jury said:

I have a different take on Glenn Carroll's gun.  I think it is the same as the murder weapon but may not be it ... Mare's dad was a cop and he had one (where is it now?)  Just as they never before established that Mr. Carroll was a cop and they haven't established that Old Man Ross (Gordon Clapp) was or was not a cop... I think the preview weapon is a red herring except to show what a real old detective revolver looked like so you can contrast all the automatic pistols being shown used by others.  I think there's a few of these old revolvers floating around. 

Interesting and entirely possible! It makes much more narrative sense for Mare's dad's revolver to appear. Or that Old Man Ross was a cop and had one, too. 

The important point is that Erin's killer had to have access to one of the old detective revolvers. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Jextella said:

@SnazzyDaisy

Thanks for these pix! I'm a novice at Photoshop and can't seem to get as good adjustments as you have here.

If you have time ore inclination, I'd love to know what settings you used!

Finally, someone who is interested in studying the pix, like me! 😘

I didn’t use Photoshop. I just enlarged the screenshot, adjusted the brightness and the sharpness of it at different %, using my iPhone (refer to pic 1 and 3).

For pic 2, I used another screenshot, enlarged it, increased its brightness and sharpness by 100%, then I used an enhance filter from an app. Unfortunately this filter made the photo grainy.

Who do you see in that pix?

My 1st glance, I see 2 women, selfie on bed, am thinking Siobhan and Erin. Then I remember Siobhan’s remarks re Kevin’s last video, that he was with someone at the beach, he already broken up with Carrie, he could be with Erin. So it could be Erin with Kevin in the selfie. I want the pix to be John and Erin but I don’t see bearded man in it. Richard isn’t the killer but could it be him in the pix?

Do you wanna try to zoom/edit/adjust/enhance my original screenshot and see how it goes?

F82FA659-48BB-4FBF-8E8A-4DBA770DC3E9.jpeg

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Finally, someone who is interested in studying the pix, like me! 😘

I didn’t use Photoshop. I just enlarged the screenshot, adjusted the brightness and the sharpness of it at different %, using my iPhone (refer to pic 1 and 3).

For pic 2, I used another screenshot, enlarged it, increased its brightness and sharpness by 100%, then I used an enhance filter from an app. Unfortunately this filter made the photo grainy.

Who do you see in that pix?

My 1st glance, I see 2 women, selfie on bed, am thinking Siobhan and Erin. Then I remember Siobhan’s remarks re Kevin’s last video, that he was with someone at the beach, he already broken up with Carrie, he could be with Erin. So it could be Erin with Kevin in the selfie. I want the pix to be John and Erin but I don’t see bearded man in it. Richard isn’t the killer but could it be him in the pix?

Do you wanna try to zoom/edit/adjust/enhance my original screenshot and see how it goes?

F82FA659-48BB-4FBF-8E8A-4DBA770DC3E9.jpeg

@SazzyDaisy, there is a ton of activity on red*dit :)

I took a screen grab and modified in Photoshop following what you did on your phone (impressive).  As shared, I'm a novice and I'm sure professionals could do better. Attached is what I came up with.

I don't think I could do any better with your photo.

When I worked on mine, what I saw changed with each adjustment I made so nothing I come up with will be helpful :(

photo-12-red.jpg

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Jextella said:

When I worked on mine, what I saw changed with each adjustment I made so nothing I come up with will be helpful :(

Nonsense...that's clearly a taller dude (or maybe a yeti / Bigfoot) with his arms wrapped around a shorter girl / woman on the left side (she has her head on his chest). I'll admit, the Ewoks or aliens on the other side are harder to sort out. 😉

Joking aside, that one side does look like something useful to me now. Thanks for the effort!

*edited to add: is the white blob on the other side someone holding a baby (bundled in a blanket)?

Edited by tljgator
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

After rewatching some episodes and reading lots of Reddit threads, I realize that I have NO idea what will happen tonight. Instead, I’m just going to post some thoughts and speculation.

1. I don’t think that Billy is either the killer or the father of DJ. It doesn’t make sense to assign the full weight of these horrible deeds to a character that we know so little about. Billy is weak-willed, easily influenced and has a drinking problem but, beyond that, he appears to be a minor character that is caught up in something terrible. It seems much too easy to make him the “bad guy” with no prior indication of this type of behavior. 
  2. While I previously thought that John was the killer/father, I am becoming  less convinced. We know that he cheated on Lori with Sandra. Isn’t it a big leap to assume that he would then rape his underage niece and kill her? Is he a monster?
  3. Dylan doesn’t have a lot of redeemable qualities. He has a gun and he threatens others with it. He has no alibi for the night that Erin was murdered. He is also aware of the manner of Erin’s death which, as far as we know, hasn’t been made public. He burned Erin’s journals for unknown reasons. There is speculation that he burned the journals because there was proof that he is involved in selling drugs or a prostitution ring. However, as of right now, we know very little about Dylan.
  4. Deacon Mark has a troubling past. One can certainly question his judgement in driving a distressed Erin to the woods and dropping her off in the middle of the night. A killer? I don’t think so.
  5. Frank: he isn’t involved.
  6. It is possible that Ryan is involved in her murder. He seems to be hiding something. If he is involved, it would certainly explain the odd behavior of Billy and John. There has to be a reason why.
  7. I feel the same way about the speculation that Lori is the killer. Lori or Ryan are killers only if they are protecting secrets and/or another family member.
  8. The kidnapping of Katie and Missy and the connection to Erin’s murder: no idea.
  9. The necklace: I’m probably 100% wrong here but I’m thinking that there is an innocent explanation for that gift.
  10. The murder weapon: We know it’s a revolver that a cop would have used years ago. So far, we’ve only seen Glenn’s gun. Who could have used it and returned it? Is there another gun of this type that we aren’t aware of yet?

Sorry for the long post. I believe that this show is primarily a character study focused on family and parenthood. The murder mystery is secondary.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

The finale preview shows Lori opening her front door ... to a woman who is definitely not Mare (i.e. a misdirect.)

Also, I feel like Mare looks unusually ‘fancy’ when she’s going to (?) arrest the final suspect. More spring-like styling, showing more of her neck and chest. That is meaningless I’m sure except that perhaps some time has passed and it’s no longer winter. But it almost seems like it could even be a police parade rather than something as grave as a murder arrest where she needs tons of backup. No idea what I’m saying here really.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

The finale preview shows Lori opening her front door ... to a woman who is definitely not Mare (i.e. a misdirect.)

I think that the person at the door is Dylan wearing an orange hoodie. As to why he is there...no idea.

• Love 1
On 5/29/2021 at 2:32 PM, Jextella said:

@SazzyDaisy, there is a ton of activity on red*dit :)

I took a screen grab and modified in Photoshop following what you did on your phone (impressive).  As shared, I'm a novice and I'm sure professionals could do better. Attached is what I came up with.

I don't think I could do any better with your photo.

photo-12-red.jpg

Hey, that pix of yours is so much better than my 2nd pix. Great job! 👍

I have read some comments in Reddit and Quora from those who study the pix. Most of them “see” John, Erin and a baby in the pix. Can’t wait to find out the truth, it’s just a matter of hours! 😘

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Hey, that pix of yours is so much better than my 2nd pix. Great job! 👍

I have read some comments in Reddit and Quora from those who study the pix. Most of them “see” John, Erin and a baby in the pix. Can’t wait to find out the truth, it’s just a matter of hours! 😘

I haven't used either platform actively in the past but have enjoyed Reddit for this show. I still like to come here for other things, though. 

I set up a poll in Reddit - "Final Predictions Google Poll". It hasn't received a lot of traction, but it has some. I'll turn if off right before the show starts tonight. I'd link to it but I *think* there is a rule here that we can't link to other boards.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, FemmyV said:

All this talk about Kevin and the gun and the attic: Kevin hung himself, no? Wouldn't a gun have been redundant? 

Kevin stole it and sold it for drug money is the prevailing theory...

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Jextella said:

I haven't used either platform actively in the past but have enjoyed Reddit for this show. I still like to come here for other things, though. 

I set up a poll in Reddit - "Final Predictions Google Poll". It hasn't received a lot of traction, but it has some. I'll turn if off right before the show starts tonight. I'd link to it but I *think* there is a rule here that we can't link to other boards.

I have never registered with these platforms, too messy for my liking, some articles re this show took me there.

If today we find out that Siobhan has nothing to do with the murder mystery and/or Erin, I’d be so 🤬🤬🤬 because why spend so much time on her love lives.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:27 AM, Dessert said:

I hope Ryan isn’t the killer. If he is, I get to say “We’re gonna need a bigger boat”. Evil Knievel couldn’t jump a shark that gigantic. Ryan is still really young. What on earth would a boy his age be doing running around in the middle of the night, much less meeting a prostitute in a park? If he was with his father, why on earth would John take his fairly young son with him to meet his teenage cousin/aspiring prostitute/statutory rape victim/possible baby momma/possible blackmailer in some park in the middle of the night ...with a gun? Why would his mother not even notice he’s gone? I could buy Zabel rising from the dead before I could buy that. 

We’re gonna need a bigger boat. 😤

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, grawlix said:

I think you could say we're gonna need a  freakin' cruise ship.

Poor Kate hit another iceberg ...or iceberg-sized shark. No lifeboats this time. 

More about the gun.. Mr. Caroll told Mare he noticed his gun was missing, and it seemed like he meant it was gone for at least a few days, but then Ryan when confessing, claimed he stole and returned the gun the same night?

Was Mr Caroll out in his shed at 2am? And noticed it was missing only for a few hours?

• Useful 1