Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Ha! Never in a gazillion years do I believe Emily chose that to be her "bridesmaid" dress. It was horrific.

Rory, however, looked amazing IMO.

Probably not but I always thought Emily's outfit for renewal was ugly. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

ETA: The brown dress Rory wore to Honor's wedding was horrible!

That brown dress gets my vote for worst dress.

The matching jogging suits worn to the soccer game were also horrible.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I agree. The thing is, in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, the costumes are absolutely stunningly beautiful. So ASP knows a good look. I loved the dress Lorelai wore to Rory's HS graduation. Makes me wonder if the ill-fitting choices are on purpose.

ETA: The brown dress Rory wore to Honor's wedding was horrible!

I did really like the blue dress that Rory wore to Logan's parents house.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I did really like the blue dress that Rory wore to Logan's parents house.

I just don't like that story in general, even though I thought Rory looked great. In fact anything Huntzburger for all the work they did with the, turned into a great ball of crap. Hell, we never saw Honour and her "awesome fiance" again after that. Hell, it seemed they were going to do it that Rory and Honour were going to turn into friends and then turned it into "gap year" crap with Rory.

• Love 2

Let's not forget about fashion in the 2000s. Just watching celebrity red carpets from back then, you can see that fashion has changed a lot. I personally was in my teens back then (a bit younger than Rory) so I can relate to that type of clothing. I agree that seeing it now, it does all seem unattractive, but I'm pretty sure that Lorelai's pants were the height of "normal people" fashion back then. Even the dresses and everything; I would be lying if I said that I didn't have clothes resembling those worn on the show, or thought some of those outfits were great. Looking now, I find most of it unflattering, pretty much like when I look at photos of me then.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, marineg said:

Let's not forget about fashion in the 2000s. Just watching celebrity red carpets from back then, you can see that fashion has changed a lot. I personally was in my teens back then (a bit younger than Rory) so I can relate to that type of clothing. I agree that seeing it now, it does all seem unattractive, but I'm pretty sure that Lorelai's pants were the height of "normal people" fashion back then. Even the dresses and everything; I would be lying if I said that I didn't have clothes resembling those worn on the show, or thought some of those outfits were great. Looking now, I find most of it unflattering, pretty much like when I look at photos of me then.

Oh I agree. I remember when tights were a fashion in the 90s and then went away because girls and woman were tired of boys/men looking at their asses all the time. Now, you see that on anyone from 12-33. Yes, they are comfortable and warm even on cold days, but many times I keep thinking, especially teenage girls when they reach their mid to late 20s are going to go: "why did I feel I needed everyone to know if I was wearing underware or thongs back then?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Are you talking about leggings as pants? I never understood that trend. Some people still do it, although now more people wear yoga pants. Still tight but I believe (don't own a pari myself) that the fabric is much thicker.

Remember when people wore low-rise jeans with a visible thong? Or jeans over a dress/tunic and tank tops over a shirt? Chunky belts and jewelry? Capris? Tracksuits? Multi-tiered miniskirts? Cropped Cardigans? Stuffed jeans in high boots? SO MANY LAYERS BACK THEN!

34 minutes ago, marineg said:

Are you talking about leggings as pants? I never understood that trend. Some people still do it, although now more people wear yoga pants. Still tight but I believe (don't own a pari myself) that the fabric is much thicker.

Remember when people wore low-rise jeans with a visible thong? Or jeans over a dress/tunic and tank tops over a shirt? Chunky belts and jewelry? Capris? Tracksuits? Multi-tiered miniskirts? Cropped Cardigans? Stuffed jeans in high boots? SO MANY LAYERS BACK THEN!

Yeah, never understood of people were cold or just wanted it to be that no one focused on their bodies. Yes, yoga/track pants are more stylish and thicker than the old leggings, but yes, as they say: "You don't leave much to the imagination."

The vow renewal dress was awful, but I think my vote for worst dress would go to, ironically, "The Perfect Dress."  That was just horrible.

4 minutes ago, deaja said:

The vow renewal dress was awful, but I think my vote for worst dress would go to, ironically, "The Perfect Dress."  That was just horrible.

I like the skirt, but the top part is just awful.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, deaja said:

Ha ha ha, right? Sometimes I wonder if the show just wants Lorelai to look stupid while thinking she looks amazing.

Although, I have seen the kinds of things ASP wears, so ........ things are becoming a lot more clear now. Hmmmm.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Are y'all talking about the wedding dress?

Yes. The dress was a harbinger of how the wedding stuff would go.

(edited)

Yes. I just looked up a picture now to refresh my memoty. The top is a bit much with all the flowers. I thought the skirt was a nice full skirt with tulle, but looking at it now, I don't much like how it goes from fitted to wide with those "inverted Vs" of tulle (if that makes sense)... And it had no train, not even a slight length in the back.

I had never had a good look at the dress before finding this picture. I just think it's overall wrong. The top is over the top, the skirt is not underwhelming, the veil is not long enough

image.png

I think the worst thing, is that if didn't suit her. Lauren Graham is/was beautiful, with a great body. Not much fat there... and yet, that top with the satin belt created a roll of fat on her stomach. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by marineg
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

This probably sounds weird and it is. I actually thought the wedding dress looked better on the mannequin. It looked nice in the store but somehow once it ended up on Lorelai it looked horrible.

Absolutely agree. Like @marineg pointed out, it created a muffin top look on her, when we all know LG does not have one. Like, at all. LOL

• Love 1
(edited)

Wardrobe department not coming through for her here. The same dress could have had a better fit. Or hey, ever heard of Spanx? Even skinny celebrities wear them to avoid the muffin top where it does not exist!

Edited by marineg
  • Love 3

I thought the wedding dress looked just gorgeous in the dress shop. It looked bad on Lor. It didn’t look good on her, didn’t fit her and wasn’t her style at all. I think that was our clue that this wedding was not going to happen.

• Love 3

Here's another thing that bugs me. When Rory and Lane went on a double date with Dean and his loser friend, Lane is trying everything she knows to get the guy to show any interest in anything. Movies? Books? Music? She asks if he likes the Foo Fighters and she talks about the acoustic version of Everlong. She shivers and says she can't even talk about it. Now, I know why she can't talk about it. I'm a grown woman with many sexual experiences and I can't even talk about it. How the hell is a virgin gonna even understand that song let alone be so moved by it that she can't even talk about it?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Here's another thing that bugs me. When Rory and Lane went on a double date with Dean and his loser friend, Lane is trying everything she knows to get the guy to show any interest in anything. Movies? Books? Music? She asks if he likes the Foo Fighters and she talks about the acoustic version of Everlong. She shivers and says she can't even talk about it. Now, I know why she can't talk about it. I'm a grown woman with many sexual experiences and I can't even talk about it. How the hell is a virgin gonna even understand that song let alone be so moved by it that she can't even talk about it?

Looking back, Lane just had issues and it didn't help believing she had to hide her passions from her mother who was a bitch to pretty much everyone. A father who was constantly working (or not wanting to be around his angry wife). So, in the long run, I get where Lane was coming from, but at the same time, the hell? She was in her mid teens by then and a virgin, how did it ever make sense?

• Love 1

Yesterday I was watching the episode from Season 2 where Richard visits Lorelai to get out of Emily's way (he was recently retired).  He shows up at the house, and Lorelai asked something about his trip and if he found the house okay, and he said the directions worked fine, etc. 

Okay, but they had been to the house for Rory's birthday party so it wasn't like they had never been there.  Very strange.  He also said at the end when they were arguing that he had never been invited to her house before, etc, which again isn't exactly the case.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, alexa said:

Yesterday I was watching the episode from Season 2 where Richard visits Lorelai to get out of Emily's way (he was recently retired).  He shows up at the house, and Lorelai asked something about his trip and if he found the house okay, and he said the directions worked fine, etc. 

Okay, but they had been to the house for Rory's birthday party so it wasn't like they had never been there.  Very strange.  He also said at the end when they were arguing that he had never been invited to her house before, etc, which again isn't exactly the case.  

Sometimes they have a driver, so maybe they used the driver for the b-day party.  Not the same getting some place as a passenger as a driver.  And maybe he meant Lorelai had never invited him because the bday invite came directly from Rory.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I hated Richard in that episode. From hassling Lorelai about eating grapefruit to berating her in front of her employees and guests to vetoing Rory's car, he was insufferable.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Sometimes they have a driver, so maybe they used the driver for the b-day party.  Not the same getting some place as a passenger as a driver.  And maybe he meant Lorelai had never invited him because the bday invite came directly from Rory.

I thought of all that, but at the same time it was very awkwardly handled and came across as he had never been there.  I am pretty sure he didn't have a driver that night as I think I remember them getting in the car, but either way, I understand what you mean.  

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I hared Richard in that episode. From hassling Lorelai about eating grapefruit to berating her in front of her employees and guests to vetoing Rory's car, he was insufferable.

It really was awful.  He was so annoying about everything, and the car thing was completely over the top.  I hated how he turned what Lorelai was saying at the end to making him the victim as well.  That was uncalled for after all he did all day long. 

• Love 5

I think Richard saying he hadn't been there before is lazy writing. My understanding is shows are supposed to have historians who can tell writers when something like that comes up - nope, that doesn't work. He has been to the house before. If GG had historians, they were bad at their job. Most likely, ASP just didn't care.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I am pretty sure he didn't have a driver that night as I think I remember them getting in the car, but either way, I understand what you mean.  

They didn't. Emily comes to get into the car after seeing Rory's bedroom and muses that Lorelai is right, Emily doesn't know her at all, and then tells Richard it's time they should be leaving when he sits there and looks at her instead of driving. It's just lazy writing, LOL. No explaining it away.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I hated Richard in that episode. From hassling Lorelai about eating grapefruit to berating her in front of her employees and guests to vetoing Rory's car, he was insufferable.

2 hours ago, alexa said:

I thought of all that, but at the same time it was very awkwardly handled and came across as he had never been there.  I am pretty sure he didn't have a driver that night as I think I remember them getting in the car, but either way, I understand what you mean.  

It really was awful.  He was so annoying about everything, and the car thing was completely over the top.  I hated how he turned what Lorelai was saying at the end to making him the victim as well.  That was uncalled for after all he did all day long. 

So do I. From beginning to end. He's jerk the entire time then when Lorelai calls him on it he turns it around so we're suppose to feel sorry for Richard. Lorelai and Emily weren't pissed at him spending all day with them (even though Lorelai did have to be threatened not that I blame either one there) but that Richard was criticizing them non-stop all day long. He wouldn't stop, he wouldn't shut up and he wouldn't listen to his wife or daughter's valid points. Nope, it was all about him, his opinions and him always being right. That's why Emily was so desperate to get away with him and force Lorelai to take him for the day and why Lorelai finally called him on it. In fact because he was recently retired both Emily and Lorelai were keeping that in mind and had been holding back because of that. Until they both finally had enough although in Emily's case she shoved him on Lorelai.  Poor Emily when she calls Lorelai she's actually hiding from Richard and when Lorelai asks take him where she response with 'the zoo,  the mall, Rhode Island. But instead of apologizing or realizing he went a little overboard he turns it around making himself the victim. Had Emily or Lorelai done the same thing to him you know he would have been pissed and not put up with that. He was unreasonable to everyone. Including a neighbor he apparently was going to send a note that he needed a new roof. 

I do love Lorelai not wanting to know what their eating in the beginning and then finally asking and regretting it. Yep, that's exactly how it goes. Don't know what your eating but it tastes great. It always ends up being something really disgusting. I also love Emily asking Richard what he wants for dinner and him saying anything was fine. She decides on lamb chops and he makes a noise she asks if he doesn't want lamb chops. He says its fine but then says a roast would be nice. I've had that same conversation with my dad and brother so many times.  

• Love 5

Ok, I have yet another Sookie nitpick. I was watching yesterday when Lane was getting married and Sookie had baked naughty cookies for the bachelorette party. Presumably they were penis shaped and everyone was going "OMG, those are huge!" and Sookie was upset. She moaned about putting too much yeast. You don't put fucking yeast in sugar cookies.

• LOL 3

Okay, so about the penis cookies... We have all had cookies that ended up melting or expanding, but every time, the cookie ends up a misshapen heap of dough. For the naughty cookies to be overly naughty, they would have to "grow" in certain areas, but not in others. If they did expand, they would expand everywhere, and they they would be big penis cookies, but they would still have a normal shape/anatomy, and therefore, why wouldn't they be in the bags? Even misshapen, why wouldn't they be in the bag? They wanted penis cookies for their princess bags, what did they think was gonna happen?

Edited by marineg
Who knew I had so many thoughts about penis cookies?
  • Love 1

I'm watching I'd Rather Be In Philadelphia and Logan is telling Rory about this internet deal he has going and he tells her he is using his trust fund to make the purchase. Rory asks why he didn't go to his father and get him to invest. Logan says he did but his father turned him down. Then later when the whole thing blows up in his face he laments that he not only lost the trust fund money but also millions of his father's money. WTF?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm watching I'd Rather Be In Philadelphia and Logan is telling Rory about this internet deal he has going and he tells her he is using his trust fund to make the purchase. Rory asks why he didn't go to his father and get him to invest. Logan says he did but his father turned him down. Then later when the whole thing blows up in his face he laments that he not only lost the trust fund money but also millions of his father's money. WTF?

Right, how did he all of a sudden lose his father's money? He didn't want to invest and I DOUBT he changed his mind. Then the aftermath, Mitchum just acknowledges the deal went bad and doesn't even talk about HIS money. The Huntzburger family was more screwed up than the Gilmores or Haydens ever were. 

• Love 2

I don't know if being cooped up is making me extra salty or what but I was watching Just Like Riding A Bike today and wondered. Wouldn't it be more dangerous for pregnant Sookie to be home with chicken pox infected kids than for Jackson? I know she said she had it before but you can get it again. I did.

17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know if being cooped up is making me extra salty or what but I was watching Just Like Riding A Bike today and wondered. Wouldn't it be more dangerous for pregnant Sookie to be home with chicken pox infected kids than for Jackson? I know she said she had it before but you can get it again. I did.

With pregnant women, yes it can be, but sadly if you are an adult and getting it can be even more dangerous. Then again, Sookie told to be on bed rest had to have Jackson driver her in a golf cart to the Inn because she couldn't trust Luke "to cook". Even going: "slow down, baby doesn't like this!" My mother watching when the episode first aired: "I hope you go into labor you selfish bitch!"

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My solution to this problem is just to never watch season 7.

Here's another one. Remember how they were always making a big deal about Lorelai's BLUE eyes and someone even asks her at one point if she's wearing contacts and she says it's all her? I was just watching the pilot and Lorelai and Rory have a fight about Rory going to Chilton. It's the next morning and Lorelai is bitching to Sookie about it and she says "I put my contacts in backwards"

16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Here's another one. Remember how they were always making a big deal about Lorelai's BLUE eyes and someone even asks her at one point if she's wearing contacts and she says it's all her? I was just watching the pilot and Lorelai and Rory have a fight about Rory going to Chilton. It's the next morning and Lorelai is bitching to Sookie about it and she says "I put my contacts in backwards"

Or how about he many times she wears glasses and no one bats and eye. It be one thing if she was use them for reading or something. Yet there are episodes where she is just wearing them in one scene and then we go to apparently just a little while later and she isn't wearing them. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, readster said:

Or how about he many times she wears glasses and no one bats and eye. It be one thing if she was use them for reading or something. Yet there are episodes where she is just wearing them in one scene and then we go to apparently just a little while later and she isn't wearing them. 

Yep, I don't think I ever saw her use them for reading but I remember her walking down the sidewalk wearing them. Just why?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, readster said:

I always just thought she was wearing them as a fashion accessory since around that time it had become popular by celebrities to wear them as accessories. I could easily see Lorelai doing that. 

20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Well, to be fair, when Rachel asks Lorelai if she wears contacts it's obviously in the context of if she wears colored contacts, to which Lorelai truthfully answers no. Rachel wasn't just asking if Lorelai wears contacts in general, because why would she care about that? LOL.

• Love 5

When I used to wear contacts, they were clear, but they did make my blue eyes POP. Luke has returned Lorelai’s glasses that she left at his place because he thought she might need them, so I’m guessing they were prescription.

We're dealing with trying to help our college-aged son find a summer job during this lovely time of coronavirus-tanked job market, and something occurred to me a few minutes ago that I never thought of before --

Why, after the Independence Inn burned and had to close, were Lorelai, Sookie, Michel, and any other long-term employees tossed out on their ear with no kind of severance package? That doesn't seem like something Mia would do. I would think she would have had something set up to provide them with some sort of lump sum to tide them over for a time while they found new jobs in the event the Inn had to close due to a disaster. 

I guess theoretically they should have all been making enough there to not be living paycheck-to-paycheck and have a nice savings anyway (ignoring the show's odd approach to Lorelai's finances) but still. It just doesn't seem like Mia to leave them all high and dry like that.

Any thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

We're dealing with trying to help our college-aged son find a summer job during this lovely time of coronavirus-tanked job market, and something occurred to me a few minutes ago that I never thought of before --

Why, after the Independence Inn burned and had to close, were Lorelai, Sookie, Michel, and any other long-term employees tossed out on their ear with no kind of severance package? That doesn't seem like something Mia would do. I would think she would have had something set up to provide them with some sort of lump sum to tide them over for a time while they found new jobs in the event the Inn had to close due to a disaster. 

I guess theoretically they should have all been making enough there to not be living paycheck-to-paycheck and have a nice savings anyway (ignoring the show's odd approach to Lorelai's finances) but still. It just doesn't seem like Mia to leave them all high and dry like that.

Any thoughts?

Lorelai mentioned that there would be some severance at the end of season three when she told Sookie and Jackson the inn was closing down. Whether that included the entire staff I don't know. When Lorelai was laying off employees in that one episode it was never mentioned just that they'd hire them back. I do think Mia would give them all severance packages. She didn't seem like the type to leave her employees high and dry.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Lorelai mentioned that there would be some severance at the end of season three when she told Sookie and Jackson the inn was closing down. 

You're right, she did!

LORELAI: You should always celebrate new challenges, and that's what this is.

SOOKIE: A new challenge.

LORELAI: Yes. There'll be some severance pay, then nothing.

SOOKIE: Nothing!

LORELAI: Nothing but exciting new challenges. Cheers!

So we're back to the show just acting like they were flat-ass broke all of a sudden for no reason, ha! At least we're back on familiar ground.

Thanks!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I mean, not being an US citizen, I don't know what severance packages entails, but they weren't broke. I'm guessing this severance pay would be less than normal 100% salary.

For Sookie: Jackson has his own business, but it doesn't seem like he makes that much profits since he was all worried when he had to fix his truck, and when Sookie got pregnant the first time ("Oh, boy!). And Sookie isn't Gordon Ramsay with restaurants at her name and TV shows. She was a simple chef at an inn in a small town in Connecticut. She may have been great (if we believe the show) but she still was just a chef at an inn in a small town in Connecticut. So her salary must nor have been amazing either. And they had a kid, which is a big hole in the budget. And Jackson lost a big account when the inn closed.

For Lorelai: again, Lorelai is in the same situation. She was just the manager of a small town inn. And she was a single mother who worked since she was 18 being a maid and climbing the ranks of said inn. She didn't have 10-15 years as a manager to put aside a large sum of money. And we add to that the fact that she was a mom who had to feed, clothe, and raise a child on her own, and supposedly pay a mortgage on her house, that she got only a few years before the show started.

All this to say that even with severance package, they were all making less money than they used to. Add to that the fact that Lorelai had to pay for Yale at the last second (expensive!) and they wanted to open their own inn, they needed to save some money, not spend it. I guess Sookie and Jackson did have a sum saved up for the inn because the only reason they (temporarily) couldn't buy the Dragonfly was that Lorelai had to pay for Yale and couldn't do both.

• Love 1