Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

I watched the Pilot today. Concerning the 5 with a lot of zeroes behind it, Lorelai originally says that in Rory's acceptance letter they will require the first semester tuition. Then when she's on the phone to the school, she talks about the admission/entrance fee. Then when she goes to her parents, she says the money is for the entrance fee plus the tuition for the first semester. So tuition per semester is less than $5K, but by how much we don't know. And in the end, it doesn't matter, because this show is terrible with money issues.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I watched the Pilot today. Concerning the 5 with a lot of zeroes behind it, Lorelai originally says that in Rory's acceptance letter they will require the first semester tuition. Then when she's on the phone to the school, she talks about the admission/entrance fee. Then when she goes to her parents, she says the money is for the entrance fee plus the tuition for the first semester. So tuition per semester is less than $5K, but by how much we don't know. And in the end, it doesn't matter, because this show is terrible with money issues.

Nicely thought out, thanks. 
That conceivably means that, excepting the admission fee, Lorelai could have provided the semester costs if she'd sacrificed a bit. Still no excuse for her not saving more, but I can see that she panicked and it became easy for her parents to keep paying. That explains a lot about her lifestyle. She hated FND, but apparently she liked her lifestyle more. Only when the windfall came did she seriously think about paying it back.

I can't remember. Was Rory at Chilton for 3 years or two? Three might make sense if tuition was $5k a semester. That would be $30k for three years plus the admission fee, or about half the $75k investment money.

22 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

can't remember. Was Rory at Chilton for 3 years or two? Three might make sense if tuition was $5k a semester. That would be $30k for three years plus the admission fee, or about half the $75k investment money.

She was there 3 years, minus whatever she missed out of the first.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

She was there 3 years, minus whatever she missed out of the first.

And there we have it, ladies and gentlemen. Chessiegal has laid out a logical path for half of the $75k to be just the right amount to pay the elder gilmores back. Nicely done.

• Love 3

I decided to watch Rory's season 6 birthday episode. When she and Emily are planning the party Emily reminisces about her own 21st birthday party and how special it was. Here's the thing: the reason that the 21st birthday is a milestone in the US is because it's the legal drinking age. When Emily turned 21 the legal drinking age was 18 so there's no reason for it to have been special on its own. Yet the way Emily was going on about her own 21st birthday party it's clear that we're meant to see it as her own milestone rather than a particularly great party.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

It's all about interpretation. I interpreted Lorelai mentioning the enrollment fee plus tuition as her saying that Rory can't start unless Chilton has both rather than asking the Gilmores for both but it can be interpreted the other way. Her earlier conversation with the Chilton person is pretty clear that the enrollment fee itself is where the "lot of zeroes behind that five" comment comes from. This is why it would have been nice for the show to make clear what the actual cost of Chilton was supposed to be because the student body would have to be gigantic for that school to survive on the students paying only $5000 per semester. And Rory's graduation episode showed her class to be pretty small. It looked to be half the size of mine and my school charges a lot more than $5000 a semester. Lorelai's snark about the food at her funeral being the the final FND notwithstanding, I think we're supposed to assume that the tuition was high enough that she wouldn't be able to pay it back for several years.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

It's all about interpretation. I interpreted Lorelai mentioning the enrollment fee plus tuition as her saying that Rory can't start unless Chilton has both rather than asking the Gilmores for both but it can be interpreted the other way. Her earlier conversation with the Chilton person is pretty clear that the enrollment fee itself is where the "lot of zeroes behind that five" comment comes from. This is why it would have been nice for the show to make clear what the actual cost of Chilton was supposed to be because the student body would have to be gigantic for that school to survive on the students paying only $5000 per semester. And Rory's graduation episode showed her class to be pretty small. It looked to be half the size of mine and my school charges a lot more than $5000 a semester. Lorelai's snark about the food at her funeral being the the final FND notwithstanding, I think we're supposed to assume that the tuition was high enough that she wouldn't be able to pay it back for several years.

Right and if you add in that, most likely it cost somewhere close to probably $60K in that three years if you want to throw in everything. Meaning, Lorelai could have AT LEAST kept close to $10K instead of just giving all the money to Emily. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, readster said:

Lorelai could have AT LEAST kept close to $10K instead of just giving all the money to Emily. 

True. Of course this then reopens the can of worms that was Lorelai intending to use the money for Yale (which google tells me was around $30,000 per term) and then for the Dragonfly (which may have been bought cheap due to being rundown but cost a bunch to renovate) when Rory gets tuition from the Gilmores. I really wish the Ps had been specific about these costs.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I was just watching season 2's Like Mother, Like Daughter. The whole thing with the guidance counser made no sense or rather how it was handled. I may have complained about this before or some else may have. I get that they would want Rory to try to be socially engaged but telling her to talk to random people wouldn't really work.  I know in the show she does and then it's a whole dramatic thing with Paris.  As someone who was socially awkward in middle school, I really did have meeting with the school social worker.  While I did have friends, I too would not engage peers much during lunch.  And never did anyone tell me to just go talk to a random group of people lol.  They generally organized events to help me (and other's) learn social skills or be apart of something.  It would have made more sense for the counsler to respond to what Rory said or was doing.  Like encouraging her to join a book club or the school paper (which she may have already). As these are the types of people she has things in common with. But instead of being encouraging and support of to Rory she just tells her off and talks about getting into colleges.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, blueray said:

I was just watching season 2's Like Mother, Like Daughter. The whole thing with the guidance counser made no sense or rather how it was handled. I may have complained about this before or some else may have. I get that they would want Rory to try to be socially engaged but telling her to talk to random people wouldn't really work.  I know in the show she does and then it's a whole dramatic thing with Paris.  As someone who was socially awkward in middle school, I really did have meeting with the school social worker.  While I did have friends, I too would not engage peers much during lunch.  And never did anyone tell me to just go talk to a random group of people lol.  They generally organized events to help me (and other's) learn social skills or be apart of something.  It would have made more sense for the counsler to respond to what Rory said or was doing.  Like encouraging her to join a book club or the school paper (which she may have already). As these are the types of people she has things in common with. But instead of being encouraging and support of to Rory she just tells her off and talks about getting into colleges.

And then the darkest timeline was introduced: The Horrid Francie. *shudder*

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And then the darkest timeline was introduced: The Horrid Francie. *shudder*

Season 2: I'll give you the most hated storyline of the whole show!

Season 6: Oh, just wait.

Revival: Hold my beer.

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

Okay, has anyone other than my obsessive self noticed how utterly filthy the inside of the door to Luke’s Diner is? Every time someone leaves all I can see are the gazillion greasy dark fingerprints along the doorframe above and below the door knob. 

And Luke is my favorite character. Seriously? No one...not Luke, Jess, Rachel, Lorelai, Cesar, Nicole, Lane....hell, even Emily ate there...noticed???? 

(Yes, I know they’re fictional. Also actors. But not a single member of the crew staring at  that set a thousand times thought to break out the 409 and a scrub sponge?)

Shudder. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

How does Lorelai not remember how Trix treats her mother? In the Third Lorelai she's surprised by her mother freaking out over Gram's visit I know it mentions the last time Lorelai saw her was twelve. But there's no way Lorelai wouldn't remember the one person who could make her mother freak out and treat her the way Emily often treats her. There's also no way she wouldn't know Trix's maiden name was Gilmore. There's no way Trix wouldn't have mentioned it in one of the many remarks to and about Emily not being a real Gilmore.   

• Love 4
On 7/28/2020 at 9:04 AM, geauxaway said:

Most of Dean’s backstory and family makes no sense to me anyway.  They moved from Chicago to Star’s Hollow for why?  His dad installs home sound systems and his mom does medical records from home.  Never any mention of family or roots in SH or CT, for that matter.  I just never understood how any of that relocation made sense.  

Same here. They changed the character in general. Initially he was the hot new boy from Chicago who liked the same music as Rory and got her references. Then they dumbed him down so that Jess could be that character instead, except swapping in New York for Chicago. Given the direction they took Dean in, it would have been better to have him be a native of Stars Hollow. He could have been the sweet, unsophisticated town Golden Boy to Rory's Golden Girl, and then Jess could have come in and be the cool new kid from the Big City, who shares Rory's more advanced taste in films, books, and music. You'd barely need to change anything in terms of story lines—just some dialogue in season 1.

• Love 12

I’m grinding my slow, slow way through the completely unhinged disaster that is Season Six...and they still haven’t CLEANED THE DOOR AT LUKE’S.

It’s filthy. I swear, every time someone exits all I can see is a thousand filthy black fingerprints. 

Yes, I have issues. But seriously? It looks like the men’s restroom of a truck stop off the New Jersey Turnpike in 1963...and it’s supposed to be a restaurant? People eat there? My rule has always been if it’s that filthy where you can see it, imagine what it looks like where you can’t.

Shudder.

• LOL 4
On 1/2/2021 at 12:05 AM, Hera said:

Same here. They changed the character in general. Initially he was the hot new boy from Chicago who liked the same music as Rory and got her references. Then they dumbed him down so that Jess could be that character instead, except swapping in New York for Chicago. Given the direction they took Dean in, it would have been better to have him be a native of Stars Hollow. He could have been the sweet, unsophisticated town Golden Boy to Rory's Golden Girl, and then Jess could have come in and be the cool new kid from the Big City, who shares Rory's more advanced taste in films, books, and music. You'd barely need to change anything in terms of story lines—just some dialogue in season 1.

I agree and yet they took it down to not only stupid, but also got it to the point where you wonder why Rory would be involved with either and vice versa.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2021 at 3:35 PM, readster said:

I agree and yet they took it down to not only stupid, but also got it to the point where you wonder why Rory would be involved with either and vice versa.

The whole Dean-Rory-Jess thing bothered me from day one. If Rory really cared about Dean, how Jess behaved (both directly to Dean and completely disrespecting Dean and Rory's relationship) would have bothered her to the point that she would not have gotten together with Jess. I'd she didn't like Dean to the point that Jess acting like an ass would bother her, she wouldn't have drug out the relationship as long as she did. 

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

The whole Dean-Rory-Jess thing bothered me from day one. If Rory really cared about Dean, how Jess behaved (both directly to Dean and completely disrespecting Dean and Rory's relationship) would have bothered her to the point that she would not have gotten together with Jess. I'd she didn't like Dean to the point that Jess acting like an ass would bother her, she wouldn't have drug out the relationship as long as she did. 

That's what bothered me too. If she really cared about Dean she would haved hated Jess for how he treated her boyfriend and that he kept hitting on her. Jess even admits to her after the bidding on the basket that he did it to tick of Dean and to get her alone. If she really cared about Dean that should have ticked her off. But it doesn't. She doesn't really care. Except of course when Dean doesn't want her to go with Jess or when Dean talks to Lorelai about Jess. If she feels so strongly about that. But she doesn't. The episode where Dean is calling all the time its obvious he's insecure about their relationship. But Rory doesn't really do anything to reassure him. She doesn't call him, she doesn't want to hang out with him, but she will not break up with him (and yes Dean should have broken up with her in that episode if not sooner). She gets jealous over Shane, Lorelai reminds her she has a boyfriend. Until that moment Rory doesn't even think of Dean despite her being upset over Jess with Shane. She doesn't even think she's doing anything wrong by kissing Jess. Lorelai's right when she tells her she needs to pick. Rory does her list and decides to stay with Dean. Okay, fine but then continues to be jealous of Jess dating Shane. Even when Dean finally breaks up with her Rory has the nerve to ask why despite her crappy behavior during the dancethon right up to the moment when Dean finally has enough. That's a crappy way to treat her boyfriend. She clearly wasn't interested him anymore and should have broken up with him. But she didn't and won't. Rory doesn't think she did anything wrong and the worse part is Rory didn't learn anything from it. She continues to have no problem treating boyfriends like crap while she chases after someone else.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

That's what bothered me too. If she really cared about Dean she would haved hated Jess for how he treated her boyfriend and that he kept hitting on her. Jess even admits to her after the bidding on the basket that he did it to tick of Dean and to get her alone. If she really cared about Dean that should have ticked her off. But it doesn't. She doesn't really care. Except of course when Dean doesn't want her to go with Jess or when Dean talks to Lorelai about Jess. If she feels so strongly about that. But she doesn't. The episode where Dean is calling all the time its obvious he's insecure about their relationship. But Rory doesn't really do anything to reassure him. She doesn't call him, she doesn't want to hang out with him, but she will not break up with him (and yes Dean should have broken up with her in that episode if not sooner). She gets jealous over Shane, Lorelai reminds her she has a boyfriend. Until that moment Rory doesn't even think of Dean despite her being upset over Jess with Shane. She doesn't even think she's doing anything wrong by kissing Jess. Lorelai's right when she tells her she needs to pick. Rory does her list and decides to stay with Dean. Okay, fine but then continues to be jealous of Jess dating Shane. Even when Dean finally breaks up with her Rory has the nerve to ask why despite her crappy behavior during the dancethon right up to the moment when Dean finally has enough. That's a crappy way to treat her boyfriend. She clearly wasn't interested him anymore and should have broken up with him. But she didn't and won't. Rory doesn't think she did anything wrong and the worse part is Rory didn't learn anything from it. She continues to have no problem treating boyfriends like crap while she chases after someone else.

Exactly and that was even hammered more with the revival too. I mean she constantly was trying to be with Logan, yet can't break up with her "bed buddy", which I will call him. Yet, constantly let's on that Jess is the right guy now for her, but oh no. Logan reminds her when she was 20 and having fun and then complains about money and travel when she is wasting it on Logan. It just paints Rory that she self destructs her own relationships. Similar to how Lorelai would just go with Christopher WHENEVER he was in town or when he asked her to jump, she keep asking "how high". Then go on how it has ruined your happy life? Oh shut up!

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, readster said:

Exactly and that was even hammered more with the revival too. I mean she constantly was trying to be with Logan, yet can't break up with her "bed buddy", which I will call him. Yet, constantly let's on that Jess is the right guy now for her, but oh no. Logan reminds her when she was 20 and having fun and then complains about money and travel when she is wasting it on Logan. It just paints Rory that she self destructs her own relationships. Similar to how Lorelai would just go with Christopher WHENEVER he was in town or when he asked her to jump, she keep asking "how high". Then go on how it has ruined your happy life? Oh shut up!

I hated that she always did that. Just once I wanted her to say "leave me alone you trifling creep."

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 1/4/2021 at 10:34 PM, heatherchandler said:

I’m still confused about what “no one can explain” re: this song!

Is it because it makes you want to bang Dave Grohl?  I mean, I do, but that’s all the time.  

I don’t know what other posters meant (maybe just that it makes them horny?) but I think Lane was just amazed by it. I don’t think it was overtly sexual for her, just that she was in awe. 

I’m on a season 4 rewatch and Lane lists Fleetwood Mac as an embarrassing secret pleasure. I guess we are supposed to see Lane as only being into punk rock but FM is such an iconic band that it surprises me. Also hate Zach more and more with each rewatch. What a terrible replacement for sweet Dave. Bryan would have been a better choice. 

In the episode where the band is supposed to play at CDBG’s do we ever find out why Rory didn’t go? Lane shows up at Yale afterward but I would think that performance is one Rory would have wanted to attend. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, racked said:

I’m on a season 4 rewatch and Lane lists Fleetwood Mac as an embarrassing secret pleasure. I guess we are supposed to see Lane as only being into punk rock but FM is such an iconic band that it surprises me.

ASP's musical biases are always a mystery to me. Not only did she crap on Fleetwood Mac in this scene, she also took digs at other really iconic bands that can't in any way be considered cheesy or a guilty pleasure (such as Journey).

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

ASP's musical biases are always a mystery to me.

Amen. We know she likes The Shins, Belle and Sebastian, The Jam, David Bowie, and U2 since Lane and Lorelai liked them but hates Fleetwood Mac??? Every person I know who likes these same artists LOVES FM. And musicians across the board have listed Rumors as an influence since it was released. I’d say she’s one of those people who automatically reject anything popular (see Rory’s comment about a book being good despite Oprah enjoying it) but the U2 love makes me hesitant. Maybe they were before she took this position? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

ASP's musical biases are always a mystery to me. Not only did she crap on Fleetwood Mac in this scene, she also took digs at other really iconic bands that can't in any way be considered cheesy or a guilty pleasure (such as Journey).

Fleetwood Mac is AMAZING and yes, there is not a single successful musician who wouldn't agree with that statement. Don't even get me started on people who criticize popular music. Also, there is a real problem with people not liking certain music on the principle that "teenage girls like it so it can't be good or cool." It was the case with The Beatles, and you can't argue they are not good or cool. It's been the case with many bands/artists/books/films/TV shows since then and I hate it. In the words of Harry Styles, “How can you say young girls don't get it? They're our future. Our future doctors, lawyers, mothers, presidents, they kind of keep the world going.”

Anyway that's another problem, and my feminist hill to die on. Point is Fleetwood Mac Rocks!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, marineg said:

Fleetwood Mac is AMAZING and yes, there is not a single successful musician who wouldn't agree with that statement.

Right? I mean, I was born in '74 and I grew up knowing Stevie Nicks was one of the pioneer women of rock 'n roll. That went without question.

• Love 3

The Bracebridge Dinner is one of my favorite episodes but I always find it odd that people as stuffy as Richard and Emily would be hanging out in the common area in their robes at night.

• Love 5

Why did Lorelei and Rory not meet Luke when they first moved to Stars Hollow? I can't recall the episode but she speaks as though Rory was 12 when they met Luke. Also Luke carried the horoscope from Lorelei in his wallet for 9 years, why did they not meet until then. Did Lorelei and Rory just never leave the inn?  Even if Luke didn't start the diner until Rory was 12, they still would have seen him around town.  Trying to figure out how the timeline works is like being blindfolded in the hay bale maze. LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 5/23/2021 at 10:07 AM, Rosagail said:

Why did Lorelei and Rory not meet Luke when they first moved to Stars Hollow?…Did Lorelei and Rory just never leave the inn?

The best I can fanwank it is that Lorelai wouldn't have had the budget to eat out for the first decade or so after she ran away from her parents' house (and Fran was generous about providing her and Rory food at the Inn for free), and was focused on getting as many hours as she could working at the Inn and saving money. As a result, she didn't go into Stars Hollow much, and she didn't have time to get involved with the town and the people who lived there (aside from the ones who worked at the Inn) until they moved.

It doesn't completely make sense, since Miss Patty seems to remember Rory as a little girl, and it seems odd that that would be the case if Lorelai had been too busy to get to know the town very well, but I suppose it's not unrealistic that she would have met different people at different times, with Luke being a bit later than the others. Luke wouldn't have been involved in stuff having to do with kids or Rory's school, and Lorelai might not have bothered going to town meetings until she had moved out of the Inn. I could imagine her getting up to go to a house viewing, stopping at Luke's and them having their first exchange at that point.

I admit, it's not a totally satisfying explanation, and it's doing a lot of the writers' work for them, but it's the best I could come up with.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Hera said:

doesn't completely make sense, since Miss Patty seems to remember Rory as a little girl, and it seems odd that that would be the case if Lorelai had been too busy to get to know the town very well,

Rory took ballet with Miss Patty, so that would be how she knew her.  We could possibly wonder how Lorelai could afford ballet lessons.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Hera said:

It doesn't completely make sense, since Miss Patty seems to remember Rory as a little girl,

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Rory took ballet with Miss Patty, so that would be how she knew her. 

The impression I got was that Rory took ballet lessons after she and Lorelai moved into the Crap Shack, since Morey agrees with Lane and Rory that she stunk at ballet (LOL). So I have no problem fanwanking that Lorelai got to know Miss Patty via her closest neighbor Babette, and signed Rory up for lessons sometime after that.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

We could possibly wonder how Lorelai could afford ballet lessons.

Eh, television fairy tale finances. It's how I get past a lot on this show without losing my mind LOL. I do think Lorelai and young Rory would have eaten most of their meals for free at the Inn (or Sookie fed them, ha ha) until after they moved to the Crap Shack and started exploring the town more.

• Love 2

I could imagine that Miss Patty gave them a break on the price as well, especially if Lorelai was willing to help out with costumes or whatever.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I’m watching the episode where Lorelai and Christopher return home after getting married.  At the end, he suggests installing a TV in the bedroom, an idea she is initially resistant to.  When she was first with Luke, didn’t she suggest a TV in the bedroom so she could fall asleep to nighttime talk shows?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

I’m watching the episode where Lorelai and Christopher return home after getting married.  At the end, he suggests installing a TV in the bedroom, an idea she is initially resistant to.  When she was first with Luke, didn’t she suggest a TV in the bedroom so she could fall asleep to nighttime talk shows?

She only wants to watch TV in bed with Luke.  She obviously doesn't want to do it alone, or she already would have a TV in her room.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

When she was first with Luke, didn’t she suggest a TV in the bedroom so she could fall asleep to nighttime talk shows?

Sort of. She wanted a TV so she would have a reason to be in bed with him even when he had to go to sleep early to get up for early morning deliveries, IIRC.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Sort of. She wanted a TV so she would have a reason to be in bed with him even when he had to go to sleep early to get up for early morning deliveries, IIRC.

You know its surprising that Lorelai didn't already have a TV in her room given how much she loves watch TV and movies.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

You know its surprising that Lorelai didn't already have a TV in her room given how much she loves watch TV and movies.

Right?? That was why it was such a head-scratcher to me.  She’s so into pop culture you’d think she’d have a set upstairs to watch late at night.

• Love 4

Kind of random but my husband and I were watching a youtube channel (Rick Beato), my husband is into music, half of the channel goes over my head lol. But this video Rick was explaining how he had to learn the "hardest" pop song for a gig. And how him and his band got together an hour before the show to hear the song for the first time. 

This made me think of Lane and how her band just learned Jackson song right before going on. This actually apparently isn't a goof after all. As real life people do this for a gig. And they to probably figured they can play anything. In the show's case they could, however it was way cheesier then they like. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/2/2021 at 4:19 AM, blueray said:

Kind of random but my husband and I were watching a youtube channel (Rick Beato), my husband is into music, half of the channel goes over my head lol. But this video Rick was explaining how he had to learn the "hardest" pop song for a gig. And how him and his band got together an hour before the show to hear the song for the first time. 

This made me think of Lane and how her band just learned Jackson song right before going on. This actually apparently isn't a goof after all. As real life people do this for a gig. And they to probably figured they can play anything. In the show's case they could, however it was way cheesier then they like. 

My husband can't read music but he can play piano, violin, basically any string or keyboard instrument by ear. If he hears a song a couple times, he can play it. The theme from The Greatest American Hero is something we've all probably heard hundreds of times. I don't see any problem with those guys being able to play it. Besides, it's just not that difficult a song.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4

Someone mentioned Max in the Lorelai thread, which got me thinking that it's objectively insane how fast Max and Lorelai's relationship went. The met and got engaged (and then called it off) all in under a year, and some of that time was spent broken up. I realize the engagement was in order to get around the school's disapproval of a teacher/parent relationship, but they seriously couldn't think of anything else? Like trying again more discreetly the following year once Rory wasn't one of Max's students anymore?

There's tons of drama that could have been mined from having them date longer: hiding Max from Rory's classmates when they come to Stars Hollow for school-related reasons (especially since Paris is lax about calling ahead); Lorelai being in a relationship with Max while still having chemistry with Luke and dealing with Christopher's bullshit; Emily and Richard finding out and blackmailing Lorelai into bringing Max to Friday night dinners in exchange for not ratting Max and Lorelai out to their friends, the Charlestons. I find it hard to believe that none of this ever occurred to the writers, so I wonder if there was a logistical issue that stopped them from pursuing this, like that they weren't able to get Scott Cohen on as a series regular.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Hera said:

Someone mentioned Max in the Lorelai thread, which got me thinking that it's objectively insane how fast Max and Lorelai's relationship went. The met and got engaged (and then called it off) all in under a year, and some of that time was spent broken up. I realize the engagement was in order to get around the school's disapproval of a teacher/parent relationship, but they seriously couldn't think of anything else? Like trying again more discreetly the following year once Rory wasn't one of Max's students anymore?

There's tons of drama that could have been mined from having them date longer: hiding Max from Rory's classmates when they come to Stars Hollow for school-related reasons (especially since Paris is lax about calling ahead); Lorelai being in a relationship with Max while still having chemistry with Luke and dealing with Christopher's bullshit; Emily and Richard finding out and blackmailing Lorelai into bringing Max to Friday night dinners in exchange for not ratting Max and Lorelai out to their friends, the Charlestons. I find it hard to believe that none of this ever occurred to the writers, so I wonder if there was a logistical issue that stopped them from pursuing this, like that they weren't able to get Scott Cohen on as a series regular.

All of this would have been interesting but I think the Ps got bored and that was that. Season 1, in my opinion, was all about setting Max up to be the short term adult love interest for Lorelai and I wish they’d followed through rather than a quickie break up over the summer.

I’ve said before that I thought Max was the better choice for a “perfect on paper but not in reality” husband for Lorelai to quickly marry and divorce instead of Christopher right before the series end. It would have been early enough for her to learn from the experience and make her cautious (rather than commitment phobic) in her subsequent relationships. Rory also wanted to have him as a stepfather and there wasn’t any of the negligence baggage that came with Christopher. They could have done something with Lorelai feeling guilty about not being able to love this amazing guy. It could have caused a small rift between Lorelai and Rory with Rory not understanding how Lorelai couldn’t love him (and that could have been a set up for her own season 2 story with Dean and Jess).

But the Ps got bored, didn’t sign the Max actor, and decided to play around with the shiny new toy that was Christopher (who they then also failed to sign) and we got what we got.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

All of this would have been interesting but I think the Ps got bored and that was that. Season 1, in my opinion, was all about setting Max up to be the short term adult love interest for Lorelai and I wish they’d followed through rather than a quickie break up over the summer.

I’ve said before that I thought Max was the better choice for a “perfect on paper but not in reality” husband for Lorelai to quickly marry and divorce instead of Christopher right before the series end. It would have been early enough for her to learn from the experience and make her cautious (rather than commitment phobic) in her subsequent relationships. Rory also wanted to have him as a stepfather and there wasn’t any of the negligence baggage that came with Christopher. They could have done something with Lorelai feeling guilty about not being able to love this amazing guy. It could have caused a small rift between Lorelai and Rory with Rory not understanding how Lorelai couldn’t love him (and that could have been a set up for her own season 2 story with Dean and Jess).

But the Ps got bored, didn’t sign the Max actor, and decided to play around with the shiny new toy that was Christopher (who they then also failed to sign) and we got what we got.

I wouldn't have minded that or Lorelai dating Max and breaking up at the end of season one. With Rory at Chilton and having worked her way up to manager at the Inn she had the time to focus on dating or to be in a relationship. Anything would have been better then we got. I still can't figure out how long they actually dated. They talked about dating, then dated, then broke up until almost the end of the season when they started talking on the phone and then dating. Getting engaged made no sense. 

• Love 5

The Max/Lorelai engagement was so rushed. It was clear that they didn't know each other well. Not to mention Lorelai admitted that she hadn't thought about how Max would fit in her life/Rory's life.
My fav line from Max: "you need to think about someone other than yourself for a few minutes a day."

hee hee hee

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I know Lorelai's hair is a point of contention around here but does anyone have a season where her hair looked good to you? I think her hair looked best in season 4. The night she and Digger had dinner at R&E's with his parents, she looked fantastic.

• Love 2