Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, marineg said:

I mean, not being an US citizen, I don't know what severance packages entails, but they weren't broke. I'm guessing this severance pay would be less than normal 100% salary.

It's generally 100% of your salary for 2 weeks, a month, or if you work somewhere really great that has money in this situation, maybe 6 months.

• Love 2

Severance packages vary widely depending on the business you are working for. It's not something that is regulated. It might be nothing up to many weeks. However, there are state unemployment benefits. Those are not what you were making, but it helps. I got laid off in my 20s, and was eligible for 6 months of unemployment.

That said, if you try to figure out finances on this show, it will make you crazy because money issues are consistently  inconsistent. The finances are whatever the plot du jour calls for.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's generally 100% of your salary for 2 weeks, a month, or if you work somewhere really great that has money in this situation, maybe 6 months.

An added thought is the Independence Inn was privately owned and Mia didn't have to be fair. I can see her giving 6 months salary to Lorelai and Sookie, since she knew they would be opening their own inn. Two weeks to a couple of months seems reasonable for other employees.
Lorelai could reasonably have earned $75k a year as a manager of a large inn. If Sookie and Jackson took home modest amounts of $50k each, they shouldn't have been hurting. I think Jackson was just feeling the impact of affording a family. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

An added thought is the Independence Inn was privately owned and Mia didn't have to be fair. I can see her giving 6 months salary to Lorelai and Sookie, since she knew they would be opening their own inn. Two weeks to a couple of months seems reasonable for other employees.
Lorelai could reasonably have earned $75k a year as a manager of a large inn. If Sookie and Jackson took home modest amounts of $50k each, they shouldn't have been hurting. I think Jackson was just feeling the impact of affording a family. 

No company has to be fair, and they probably aren't, in that regard.  If Coke was to suddenly have to shutter its doors, I'm sure the CEO and other high up executives would get 6 months severance, or however much they could afford, and the paeons working in the bottling plants would get nada.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

No company has to be fair, and they probably aren't, in that regard.  If Coke was to suddenly have to shutter its doors, I'm sure the CEO and other high up executives would get 6 months severance, or however much they could afford, and the paeons working in the bottling plants would get nada.

No, they don't. Which yeah the CEO and executives will grab whatever they can get and everyone else will get what's left if anything. Unless your lucky enough to work for a company that will actually give you something. My mom got lucky, my dad didn't. It sucks. From what we see of Mia she doesn't seem the type to throw her employees out with nothing. They'd probably all get something. Whether its the same amount. Probably not, its probably based on  their positions. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

From what we see of Mia she doesn't seem the type to throw her employees out with nothing. They'd probably all get something. Whether its the same amount. Probably not, its probably based on  their positions. 

I don't know.  I tend to think she would give all full-time employees the same amount of time.  Of course that would be different dollar amounts.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Katy M said:

Hoo, boy, I've lived outside of the US for so long I'd forgotten how easy it is to pay nothing. It's German law that if a business shuts down like the Independence did, every permanent employee would get at least half a month's salary for each year of service.

Lorelai started at the Independence when Rory was 1, so that would be 16 years of service. Eight months of her current salary as severance is not bad.

• Love 2
On 5/12/2020 at 8:29 AM, junienmomo said:

Hoo, boy, I've lived outside of the US for so long I'd forgotten how easy it is to pay nothing. It's German law that if a business shuts down like the Independence did, every permanent employee would get at least half a month's salary for each year of service.

Lorelai started at the Independence when Rory was 1, so that would be 16 years of service. Eight months of her current salary as severance is not bad.

Even in the US, there are companies that have to pay in anyhow for unemployment, especially here in Illinois where you pay for everything. Yet, there are private practices and companies that try to keep people from getting unemployment benefits just because. Even though they pay like everyone else. My wife worked for a dental practice and lost her job there because they wanted to hire the secretaries son and had to get rid of someone. They then were trying to tell the state that my wife was always late and left when she wanted too. When she couldn't drive and either I, my father or my father-in-law dropped and picked her up EVERY TIME with always 15 minutes early before and after her shift. They ended up getting into a lot of trouble doing that. 

Which made no sense since this was a dental office that was making a TON of money and the two dentists that ran the practice would only work two days a week and then hand it off to their partner for the other days. They alternated constantly and would go up with their families to their hunting cabins or lake spots depending on the time of the year. Then they would go on about: "These lazy employees are draining our budgets." Yeah. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, readster said:

et, there are private practices and companies that try to keep people from getting unemployment benefits just because. Even though they pay like everyone else.

The companies rates do go up when there are claims made.  But, yes, your example just sounds like a bunch of ridiculousness.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2016 at 9:18 PM, Petunia13 said:

The issue can also cause curve sideways slightly like a oblong C or upside down J too. I only just learned this since my coworker told me about this (her affliction) and 20 things about herself today.

On 3/13/2016 at 11:01 PM, Aloeonatable said:

Didn't Alexis mention once, in a magazine interview, that she had scoliosis? I recall at one time reading that info. What I know about scoliosis is that one's spine is curved, but I always thought it meant an "s" shape, not a hunched back. 

As someone that has scoliosis I can say she definitely has it too. Whether it's an S curve or a C curve it causes the shoulder blades on whichever side the spine is curving into, to poke out. On the opposite side and in the front, often times the rib cage will poke out (this is usually less noticeable unless you are in a bathing suit). If you watch closely you will notice that Rory's shoulders only look hunched on the right side. Scoliosis effing sucks btw. 

• Love 1

I'm watching How Many Kropog's  to Cape Cod now. Emily is shrieking at some hapless maid because she put lily's on the table. Emily objects because lily's are fragrant. She demands the maid take the lily's to the living room and bring in the peonies. God, the writers are such dimwits.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm watching How Many Kropog's  to Cape Cod now. Emily is shrieking at some hapless maid because she put lily's on the table. Emily objects because lily's are fragrant. She demands the maid take the lily's to the living room and bring in the peonies. God, the writers are such dimwits.

I know nothing about flowers. Is the problem with this that peonies are more fragrant than lilies?  Or just that normal people don't shriek like that over any kind of flower?

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I know nothing about flowers. Is the problem with this that peonies are more fragrant than lilies?  Or just that normal people don't shriek like that over any kind of flower?

Just as, they smell almost like roses only stronger.

(edited)

I'm not one to defend ASP and her choices, but lilies are extremely fragrant if you don't take out the stamen. Usually when you buy a bouquet of lilies, the florist will remove the stamen of the ones that are open, and you have to remove the others as they open. Lilies are very fragrant. In my family, lilies and peonies are amongst out top 5 flowers so we always have them at home when they are in season, and lilies can take over the whole house with their smell. Peonies do smell, but it is much softer and pleasant than lilies.

I wouldn't leave a bouquet of lilies on the table when eating dinner, but peonies you can. They are often used at weddings.

Edited by marineg
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, marineg said:

I'm not one to defend ASP and her choices, but lilies are extremely fragrant if you don't take out the stamen. Usually when you buy a bouquet of lilies, the florist will remove the stamen of the ones that are open, and you have to remove the others as they open. Lilies are very fragrant. In my family, lilies and peonies are amongst out top 5 flowers so we always have them at home when they are in season, and lilies can take over the whole house with their smell. Peonies do smell, but it is much softer and pleasant than lilies.

I wouldn't leave a bouquet of lilies on the table when eating dinner, but peonies you can. They are often used at weddings.

Fair enough but it would have made more sense to replace the lilys with tulips or calla lilys or dahlias or any of a hundred other non fragrant flowers.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Fair enough but it would have made more sense to replace the lilys with tulips or calla lilys or dahlias or any of a hundred other non fragrant flowers.

If only good sense was a theme of the show...

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I’m watching Lane’s wedding and her grandmother storms away and jumps in a cab after the Buddhist ceremony - do they ever explain why?  Was she angry that Lane married someone who wasn’t Korean?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I’m watching Lane’s wedding and her grandmother storms away and jumps in a cab after the Buddhist ceremony - do they ever explain why?  Was she angry that Lane married someone who wasn’t Korean?

I think she just wanted go home and get out of that weird ass town. What I don't get was that the lady was about a million years old and her flight over was probably well over twelve hours. Wouldn't she be exhausted?

• Love 2
(edited)

Mrs. Kim and her mother had an argument in the middle of the ceremony, but it was all in Korean. I found someone who was translating part of it and evidently grandma was complaining about everything - why is the Buddha inside the house, this place is dusty and stuffy, why didn't you pick me up at the airport - Mrs. Kim says she told her not to. I think the gist was Grandma Kim was a royal PITA.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think she just wanted go home and get out of that weird ass town. What I don't get was that the lady was about a million years old and her flight over was probably well over twelve hours. Wouldn't she be exhausted?

Right?? Plus she had just flown over at the last minute and only stayed for, what, a couple hours?  I’m nowhere near her age and I’m exhausted at the thought of it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Mrs. Kim and her mother had an argument in the middle of the ceremony, but it was all in Korean. I found someone who was translating part of it and evidently grandma was complaining about everything - why is the Buddha inside the house, this place is dusty and stuffy, why didn't you pick me up at the airport - Mrs. Kim says she told her not to. I think the gist was Grandma Kim was a royal PITA.

Like mother, like daughter, yet Lane broke the cycle. 

• Love 3

I’ve been rewatching and just finished season 3.  When Dean is talking to Rory about the wedding plans, he says his nephew will be the ring bearer.  Does he have older siblings?  I thought Clara (who was an annoying little brat), was his only sib.

Most of Dean’s backstory and family makes no sense to me anyway.  They moved from Chicago to Star’s Hollow for why?  His dad installs home sound systems and his mom does medical records from home.  Never any mention of family or roots in SH or CT, for that matter.  I just never understood how any of that relocation made sense.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

’ve been rewatching and just finished season 3.  When Dean is talking to Rory about the wedding plans, he says his nephew will be the ring bearer.  Does he have older siblings?  I thought Clara (who was an annoying little brat), was his only sib.

He mentioned sisters plural when he was talking to Rory and Lorelai about the Prince from Sleeping Beauty in the episode where he went to their house for movie night.  I always assumed they were older and thus didn't make the move from Chicago.

1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Most of Dean’s backstory and family makes no sense to me anyway.  They moved from Chicago to Star’s Hollow for why?  His dad installs home sound systems and his mom does medical records from home.  Never any mention of family or roots in SH or CT, for that matter.  I just never understood how any of that relocation made sense.  

Dean was getting into gang activity in Chicago.  His parents decided the most sensible thing was to move to the smallest tow they could find.  But, yeah, I'm not really sure how many sound systems people would need installed in SH.  He probably actually worked in Hartford.  So, I can handle that.  The company he worked for wanted to start a branch in Hartford with someone they already trusted and picked Dean's dad.  For whatever reason, family wanted change of scenery and they moved.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ah, but she only had sons. Who knows what she would have been like with a daughter?

Plus, she had more than one kid, hence the cycle was really broken.

• Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, yeah, I'm not really sure how many sound systems people would need installed in SH.  He probably actually worked in Hartford. 

Yes , but don't forget the job change at some point. When Luke and Dean were in the video games place, Luke said something about Dean's father working for the county.  Maintenance or something?

Another little lack of continuity, a specialty with ASP.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Yes , but don't forget the job change at some point. When Luke and Dean were in the video games place, Luke said something about Dean's father working for the county.  Maintenance or something?

Another little lack of continuity, a specialty with ASP.

I thought he said something about land surveying.

Dean falling into gang activity is so LOL.  He was such a brown nosing namby pamby, I can’t buy what they were trying to sell with that “bad boy” back story (which I honestly don’t remember).  There’s also plenty of places they could have moved to within IL, let alone WI, IN, or MI to get away from Chicago without going to CT.  It’s weird.  More believable would have been relocating from NYC or Philly. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

The point being, ASP couldn't keep things straight enough to even give him jobs that were related to each other.

It was the same with Kirk's hundreds of jobs or his family background. It got to the point not only was it a reoccuring joke, but it also got to the point, WHY would anyone want to HIRE Kirk for these jobs. He basically wanted to be Taylor, but then went about doing things that were much, much worst than Taylor. AS-P also said the character was based on someone in the town she grew up in. Who worked several places, but not all together or the fact it was several months apart. Kirk was at a new job EVERY SINGLE WEEK. Including jobs he would have had to be in the running for in process of getting licensed or certified for. He even pointed out being the mail carrier in season 4 and also being a real estate agent (which was plain impossible) on how hard the tests were. Sean Gunn is 4 years older than me (I'm 42), when the show first started it made sense of some guy in his late 20/early 30 still trying to get himself together. Especially when the depicted him as the town idiot who was not only a mama's boy, but apparently sheltered as a kid. 

However, even with the revival, married and in his early 40s. He STILL was not set in any job and still trying to be be like Taylor. Then talking about how Lulu wanted kids now, when she was pushing 40 and he was IN his 40s. Saying they basically got married after the show ended even if AS-P and her husband wanted to act like season 7 never happened. Especially Lulu who was an established grade school teacher. IT made them both come off as backwards to the world. 

• Love 2

LUKE: Where the hell did you get that much money?

KIRK: I’ve been working for eleven years, Luke. I’ve had fifteen thousand jobs.

Somehow the way he delivered that line just made it sound like even Kirk realized how ridiculous it was.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

LUKE: Where the hell did you get that much money?

KIRK: I’ve been working for eleven years, Luke. I’ve had fifteen thousand jobs.

Somehow the way he delivered that line just made it sound like even Kirk realized how ridiculous it was.

Not only that, but when he was talking about living with his mom still. She seem to go from Kirk living rent free to: "Either pay for this shit or go sleep in the gazebo up town." Which of course he did a handful of times. So, was Kirk buying the basics with his money and living rent free? Or was he getting away with what he could unless his mother DEMANDED he paid for things. Plus, for a woman who apparently wanted Kirk to live on his own, she sure had an odd way of trying to kick him out. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, readster said:

Plus, she had more than one kid, hence the cycle was really broken.

Mrs. Kim had at least one more brother. The young hot guy who was in town for one of the festivals after Lane and Zach broke up who Zach saw hanging out with Lane was jealous. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Mrs. Kim had at least one more brother. The young hot guy who was in town for one of the festivals after Lane and Zach broke up who Zach saw hanging out with Lane was jealous. 

What did Zach call him? 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

The Korean Brad Pitt.

And then he clarified to make sure Lane wasn't into her uncle or anything kinky like that. LMAOOOOOOO.

I love Zach. (I know, unpopular opinion. But I do.)

• Love 5

I watched the Spring Break episiode the other day and the time spent driving doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I know they just said they were going to Florida and did not give a specific location, but it would have taken a long time to get from CT to FL, right? Even "shaving 3 hours off the mapquest time" would still have them driving for almost a full day, right? Just for fun I looked at New Haven to Daytona Beach and it is almost 17 hours. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, they tell Madeline and Louise that they arrived at 2am, so if you subtract 17 hours that means they would have left at 9am, or 12pm if you believe Paris when she says she shaved 3 hours off. So it does make sense they would leave early and arrive that night/next morning.

• Love 2

This has been bothering me...

In Nag Hammadi, Lorelai is trying to get the window fixed because she "broke it while trying to close it last night."

However, last night (at the end of A Family Matter) we see her going up to get warm, no indication that the window is open.

Why was she opening the window in the middle of winter? When did she do this? Was it all just a plot device to show Lorelai's money issues and get Luke over there to talk about Jess? Do I watch this show too much that this bugs me?

• LOL 2

The only thing I can think of is that she went downstairs and opened the window to smell the snow like she did in season 1, forgot to close it when she went back to bed, realized her mistake fairly quickly, and broke the window in her haste trying to close it. This scenario doesn't explain Lane on the couch* but that's what I've got.

*By which I mean Lane's arrival or Lorelai not noticing her until morning.

• Love 2

She could have saved some more money if she had put storm windows in during the winter and otherwise weatherized her house and thus not be able to always open the window in the middle of winter.  It's also just environmentally selfish not to do so.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2020 at 3:07 PM, peacheslatour said:

Here's another thing that bugs me. When Rory and Lane went on a double date with Dean and his loser friend, Lane is trying everything she knows to get the guy to show any interest in anything. Movies? Books? Music? She asks if he likes the Foo Fighters and she talks about the acoustic version of Everlong. She shivers and says she can't even talk about it. Now, I know why she can't talk about it. I'm a grown woman with many sexual experiences and I can't even talk about it. How the hell is a virgin gonna even understand that song let alone be so moved by it that she can't even talk about it?

I know this is from a few months ago, but I don't get it... why can't she talk about it?