Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E14: Snuggling with the Enemy

• Start Topic

The final four cook for club goers who have taken over Hell's Kitchen. Dinner service gives each of the chefs a chance to run the pass, but Gordon is out to sabotage them.

Airdate: 04/08/2021

Did they really do a wideshot of the bathroom for Cody and Mary Lou's ... activities, like this was freaking MTV's The Challenge?

I'm sure they edited it to appear that way, but it sure looked like Christina was just sending sabotaged dishes up every time. I'm like, "why would you trust anything she sends you?!"

When Adam Corolla makes comments about Declan's sweating, you know it's a problem.

• LOL 3

I was a bit shocked that Gordon eliminated Cody first.  He does seem like he has some maturing to do but so does Mary Lou and he looks a lot more acceptable.  I can't decide if I think the final two will be Cory and Mary Lou or Cory and Declan.  I do think Cory will win even though there's been so little focus on her that I don't feel I know much about her.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm particularly slow, but I did not perceive Kori as Latina until this episode when she threw in that they should vote for her by using the [Spanish for yellow]. Usually, they have the chefs beat their chests about their heritage on these shows. (see: Declan's Irish/Viking pride talking heads or the endless "putting me on a plate" talk about this ethnic recipe or that).

Even with that, I wasn't sure until I googled and saw that on her IG she describes herself as "Proud Latina Chef & Mom."

Am I oblivious? Did she cook much in the way of Mexican/Latino cuisine and I just didn't notice? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Maybe I'm particularly slow, but I did not perceive Kori as Latina until this episode when she threw in that they should vote for her by using the [Spanish for yellow]. Usually, they have the chefs beat their chests about their heritage on these shows. (see: Declan's Irish/Viking pride talking heads or the endless "putting me on a plate" talk about this ethnic recipe or that).

Even with that, I wasn't sure until I googled and saw that on her IG she describes herself as "Proud Latina Chef & Mom."

Am I oblivious? Did she cook much in the way of Mexican/Latino cuisine and I just didn't notice? 

They definitely emphasized it more in the beginning—but then leaned away after that. (I can't cite specific examples, but I know it was there.) She hasn't gotten that much air time, and when she pointed out that she hadn't been up for elimination, I realized that's why. She hasn't brought the drama. And she doesn't wear a purple wig. And she doesn't sweat profusely. I'll be shocked if she doesn't win. She's...presentable.

• Love 7

The suspension of disbelief in this show is wonky a bit. The beginning in Gordon's office "Come up with a comfort food dish and make 40 servings" Cut to vote ballots describing these dishes. 

Also at the end, all the tension of "who'll make it to the finals?" Gee, there were 3 TVs right there... 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, hurrrz said:

The suspension of disbelief in this show is wonky a bit. The beginning in Gordon's office "Come up with a comfort food dish and make 40 servings" Cut to vote ballots describing these dishes. 

Also at the end, all the tension of "who'll make it to the finals?" Gee, there were 3 TVs right there... 

Good point about the ballots, I didn't catch that.  But I did notice the 3 screens before Gordon made his decision.

I always wonder about these getting them out of bed and rushing them to do a challenge scenarios.  Do they get to go to the bathroom first?  I'd need some coffee before I could rush around and cook for 40 people. 

• Love 3

I got really tired of all of the references (self-references and others) to Kori as "mama."  I wouldn't be surprised if that means she doesn't win as I think Gordon is looking for a head chef for his restaurant, not a "mama" for the employees.

And, I agree with Cody-she did leave that station a mess and he had to just pick-up without knowning what the situaton was with the meats.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Kori described herself as a Latina a few times. She is a sneaky snake for sure.

2 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

Good point about the ballots, I didn't catch that.  But I did notice the 3 screens before Gordon made his decision.

I always wonder about these getting them out of bed and rushing them to do a challenge scenarios.  Do they get to go to the bathroom first?  I'd need some coffee before I could rush around and cook for 40 people. 

They don’t get coffee while being filmed on the show. 

• Love 1

Declan pining after the girl who was a 10 while he is a 2 is hilarious. Can you imagine him getting a girlfriend that attractive? Big Dork. 

and he sweats in the food! Yuck. You’d think he’d wear a headband or a hat. 

It was sweet that they bought Mary a vita mix. Mary hugging that blender was adorable. 

Kori will win. Big D no way Jose Ramsey will pick him. Mary is too inexperienced. That leaves snake in the grass Kori. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, hurrrz said:

At the beginning, Gordon told them they'd have to serve the dishes in exactly one hour. One hour is PLENTY of time to have a production assistant enter the dishes in Publisher or whatever and have the laser printer churn out a few dozen copies.

1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

They don’t get coffee while being filmed on the show. 

Cody was drinking something bright yellow. I think someone cracked a joke about beer, but I assumed it was Mountain Dew, which contains a lot of caffeine.

1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

It was sweet that they bought Mary a vita mix. Mary hugging that blender was adorable. 

They bought Declan something too. It was very nice of them to think of their two compatriots. And the Loser Task wasn't even that terrible.

18 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I'm sure they edited it to appear that way, but it sure looked like Christina was just sending sabotaged dishes up every time. I'm like, "why would you trust anything she sends you?!"

My guess is Jason was running the other kitchen where the bulk of the dishes were prepared (no way a kitchen of four people being filmed is going to churn out enough food for that size dining room). Gordon wants someone he can trust to objectively mess up dishes in a way that's hard but not impossible to spot. That leaves Christina.

• Love 7

A few observations:

Showing the 3 screens after naming Declan as the first finalist ruined the surprise of another elimination. It was obvious there would be 3 finalists.

GR, who always tells everyone about his extremely high standards, needs to address Declans grotesque sweating over everything. There is no reason he can’t wear a headband or bandana on that massive noggin of his. When guests are commenting on it, it has gone too far.

In the first few episodes, I thought Mary Lou was this seasons resident clown character, there for comic relief. Over the course of the season, she has shown herself to be one of the best chefs in the cast. I think she will make the final 2, along with Declan. 

Cody had the easiest sabotages at the pass that I can ever remember seeing, especially the pappardelle in lieu of fettuccine, I could see that on my screen when they were bringing it up to him. 

My prediction for winner : Declan

HK has been on for 19 seasons. IIRC, every season, they do the "Final four (or so) take turns running the pass." Every year, the sous-chefs routinely sabotage some dishes. How can you as a contestant not be suspicious of every sous-chef dish that gets sent up? Heck, even if you never saw the show before, it seems like if you are second or later to run the pass, you would have to have seen the previous contestant either catch and yell at the sous chef or get yelled at by Gordon for not doing well enough and get a clue of what is going on.

• Love 8
On 4/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

My guess is Jason was running the other kitchen where the bulk of the dishes were prepared (no way a kitchen of four people being filmed is going to churn out enough food for that size dining room). Gordon wants someone he can trust to objectively mess up dishes in a way that's hard but not impossible to spot. That leaves Christina.

They showed Jay on some station or another during service, although it wasn't clear what he was working on.  Otherwise, the VO guy credited some of the sabotages to Gordon ("Chef Ramsey has substituted beets for carrots in the halibut garnish...").  If so I wonder who actually prepped them, since GR spent the whole time observing.  Heh - maybe we can say he was on the grilling station...

Otherwise, the pass test is always my favorite episode of the season, and this one was pretty good.  However, nothing will ever top original Blue Sous Scott, and his sarcastic fake excuses when he got caught.  Overall, all the contestants did a decent job - although I think the most impressive catch was Kori's for spotting the fish switch.  Finally, I thought it was a really classy move by Kori and Cody to bring back stuff for the others - I don't recall many, if any, past contestants doing similar.

• Love 4

I idon't think Cody was too quiet on the pass, why is it necessary to scream all the time.  Hated Kori the most when he told her 'I need 3 minutes' and she's like 'I don't have 3 minutes'.  What is he supposed to do, bring up something raw?  I hate the chaos.  This isn't surgery, no one is going to die if their food needs 2 more minutes.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, jabRI said:

I idon't think Cody was too quiet on the pass, why is it necessary to scream all the time.

Agree, especially since Cody always asked "heard?" and got confirmation from the chefs. When the other chefs were deciding on who to put up, he pointed this out and they all agreed that this is what happened, but someone (Declan I think) said that they heard but he thinks that Cody was not loud enough as a leader should be.

• Love 2

I think what may have done Cody in was his "romance" with Mary Lou.  I'm sure Gordon knew about it.  It made him look immature and had overtones of fraternizing with the help/co-workers - not something an executive chef should be doing. 

I thought he did well at the pass.

• Love 2
On 4/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, mlp said:

I think what may have done Cody in was his "romance" with Mary Lou.

But I remember in Jay's season he had an even more overt flirt going with the eventual winner.  Unless Gordon is maturing and frowning on this type of thing now?

• Love 2
On 4/10/2021 at 3:46 AM, Such A Flirt said:

Getting rid of Cody was total BS. There is no way Gordon is even considering Declan. Or someone in a purple wig.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:53 AM, mlp said:

I was a bit shocked that Gordon eliminated Cody first.  He does seem like he has some maturing to do but so does Mary Lou and he looks a lot more acceptable.  I can't decide if I think the final two will be Cory and Mary Lou or Cory and Declan.  I do think Cory will win even though there's been so little focus on her that I don't feel I know much about her.

Mary Lou's wigs are an easy change, and the Blue team Mentor has blue hair, so it seems Ramsey doesn't worry about hair color. But Declan isn't suddenly going to stop dripping sweat all over the food any time soon. He should have gone on hygiene alone. 

• Love 2