Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E08: Showstopper/Final Judgment Part #1

• Start Topic

And of course there's a cliffhanger. Between the two I'd go with Alanis, I thought she did a lot better on her song (and now I'm gonna go listen to the original version of "Uninvited", 'cause I love that song). 

I do always love this part of the show when they start whittling down the contestants, 'cause every time someone comes down and announces they're going through and the people still waiting are applauding them, I just keep imagining a few secretly sarcastically thinking, "...yeah. Yeah, that's just great for you 😕." 

I was nodding and tapping my foot when Jason was singing Imagine Dragons' "Believer". He brought his own style to that song, it really worked for him. 

Shame Murphy didn't go through, I thought he had a little more to offer than a few of the others who did. Cool of Luke to get it so that Alex kid could live his dream of singing at the Grand Old Opry. Credit to the people who didn't go through tonight-I don't blame them for being sad to see their journeys end, of course, but they handled their losses with a lot of grace and maturity. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 13

Oh my godddddd MURPHY 😭

19 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And of course there's a cliffhanger. Between the two I'd go with Alanis, I thought she did a lot better on her song (and now I'm gonna go listen to the original version of "Uninvited", 'cause I love that song). 

I do always love this part of the show when they start whittling down the contestants, 'cause every time someone comes down and announces they're going through and the people still waiting are applauding them, I just keep imagining a few secretly sarcastically thinking, "...yeah. Yeah, that's just great for you 😕." 

I was nodding and tapping my foot when Jason was singing Imagine Dragons' "Believer". He brought his own style to that song, it really worked for him. 

Shame Murphy didn't go through, I thought he had a little more to offer than a few of the others who did. Cool of Luke to get it so that Alex kid could live his dream of singing at the Grand Old Opry. Credit to the people who didn't go through tonight-I don't blame them for being sad to see their journeys end, of course, but they handled their losses with a lot of grace and maturity. 

Agreed.  "Uninvited" and "Believer" were two of the best performances.  I also liked Cassandra's performance (Running with Wolves?) and Beane's (What's Goin' On).  

19 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Shame Murphy didn't go through, I thought he had a little more to offer than a few of the others who did. 

Like Graham?  I mean come on, Murphy is so different and original!  Maybe not in the 60s, but for 2021, yes 😁

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Am I the only one that thought Murphy did really good on his original?  Do you think the judges were didn’t like his personality or something?   

It's a piss off.  What was that huge segment about his sight?  Like they can't let him play on the big stage because he won't look at anyone?  Who gives a f*ck!!  Aghhhh!  I'm so annoyed!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11

Just watching now.

The judges were right about Alex---for "American Idol."

But thanks to Luke, when Alex sings at the Grand Ole Opry, both will find Alex embraced for the true throwback he is! Audiences there will flock to hear once again that authentic Country-Western sound! 

• Love 7

So, apparently Katy finds Chayce attractive (which he is, but... ) enough to send through,  regardless of her critique of his actual performance. 

I love Beane! What's goin' on, Mr. Beane?!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4

The Top 24 (so far):

Boys

Beane-Mr. Beane laid it down on WGO..

Chayce Beckham-Raspy McRasperson finds a kindred spirit in Chris Stapleton. Not as good as his Genre Challenge song.

Caleb Lowery-Raspy McRasperson Jr. has a voice somewhere between Stapleton & Luke Combs. Can he sing something other than an original song remains to be seen.

Graham DeFranco-The husky pilot flies his way into the Top 24.

Jason Warrior-The Voice & the Four asshole gets an undeserved spot after throwing 18 kitchen sinks at the judges in a 3 minute performance.

Wyatt Pike-his contorted faces are a curse upon S19. In my mind he took Murphy's spot, so I hate him just that much more.

Girls

Alyssa Wray-Ginormous voice, devolves into a JHud copycat performance every time we hear her sing.

Andrea Valles-If there was any doubt that the Showstopper round didn't really matter it was hammered home after she butchered the Weekend and still was given an enthusiastic yes.

Cassandra Coleman-Lassoed her nerves enough to earn a spot in the Top 12 Girls.

Hannah Everhart-really? I'm going to be very sad for Lizzy O'Very or Emisunshine, or Ash Ruder when they all inevitably get no's tomorrow night and Hannah's there smirking her way into the Top 24

-I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that tonight's cliffhanger will be resolved by Casey Bishop and Alanis Sophia both hearing yes (which will get us to the halfway point (6 Guys & 6 Girls).

-We saw a whopping 4 no's (Alex, Amanda, Adam, & Murphy) the entire night. We also learned that 64 individuals actually made it to the Showstopper round. So my guess is there's going to be about 25 people we just don't see get a yes or a no. They'll just vanish into the AI void..

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, Maya said:

Ok I love Beane. What a cutie!

Yes!  He's been my favorite since I first saw him.  I think he really hit it out of the park tonight.  

I feel bad for Murphy.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 7

Caleb Kennedy is 16 but sings like he's 40 so maybe that's why they were meh about his original song. They forgot. I thought it was good. Love his voice.

Hannah needs her own show where she just walks around commenting on life. I understand why she grates for AI with some people but she's funny. Maybe I grate. Lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

They kept Hannah and cut Murphy? Fuckers. Yes, she grates. Also was very unprofessional during the duets. But I have to say, prescription sunglasses are a thing and why aren't you wearing them Murphy? And I'm sure they'll put Alanis through but I would would drop her for missing so many notes at the beginning. Those notes were not in her register.

I missed why Luke and Katy were live but Lionel phoned in.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

It's been clear from the beginning  that powerhouse Alanis will make Top 10.

I would have thought, but they didn't show her at all during Hollywood Week. Maybe she just didn't have good performances and they didn't want her to look bad lol.

I think Alanis and the other one (Casey?) will both get through. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think so too. 

The cuts still have to be even so the top 24 is 12 women and 12 men, correct?   If so, then cutting Hannah would have had no effect on Murphy's status.  

I think his unique personality and style aren't right for the show, while I think he's amazing. Squashing him into a "theme-of-the-week" box might be entertaining to the audience, but I don't know if he would flourish there.  Twitter went nuts last night after his boot, but I imagine he'll have more fans than he can handle after this.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

They kept Hannah and cut Murphy? Fuckers. Yes, she grates. Also was very unprofessional during the duets. But I have to say, prescription sunglasses are a thing and why aren't you wearing them Murphy? And I'm sure they'll put Alanis through but I would would drop her for missing so many notes at the beginning. Those notes were not in her register.

I missed why Luke and Katy were live but Lionel phoned in.

I find the concentration on where Murphy is looking to be funny.  When Stevie Wonder sings, is anyone concerned about who he's looking at? 

I think Lionel was potentially exposed to COVID and he's 70+ so he's high risk.  There seems to be some news on Google about this.  He's 71.

2 hours ago, sas616 said:

I cannot believe they cut Murphy.  That original song was amazing.    The only thing I can figure is that he's too mature for this show.

My mother wonders if the show thinks he's not controllable or moldable enough.

People on Twitter really like him and were hoping we could vote him in in a Wild Card process.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

I didn’t mind that they cut Murphy or the 17 year old kid who sings old country songs. I can’t imagine either one of them going outside their box without it being extremely awkward. 

• Love 4

Scotty McCreery went way outside his box quite a few times in season 10, and took the whole thing.  It can be done, and he was 16 when he auditioned and 17 when he won. 

Caleb Kennedy to me, is the one that should have gotten a pass by.  He did an "original" song that sounds SO much like a very popular song released several years ago by a well know artist.  I can't remember who and the title, but I knew exactly where his song was going because it was unbelievably similar.  I'm going to have to re-watch his performance.  

ETA: at the 45 second mark of Caleb's song, it sounds almost exactly to me like "I Drive Your Truck", a monster hit by Lee Brice in 2012.  Even if Caleb was just a kid back then, he's heard the song.  I can't believe Luke Bryan missed that.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

When Stevie Wonder sings, is anyone concerned about who he's looking at? 

Doesn't SW always wear shades while performing? But yeah, the 'look at the audience' issue is dumb- there have been a number of blind singers both on old and recent Idol(remember Shay from 2019?) and I don't remember this coming up then. I liked Murphy's audition, but he hasn't wowed me since then. 

This show was disappointing after last week's promise. The only performance that really stood out was Alanis- that is a tough song, and she did it really well.

Beane sang fine, but I found his pairing such a heavy song with his white-ringed eyes, lounge lizard tight suit, finger-guns, swiveling hips, high-stepping performance style kind of unsettling. 

• Love 10

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Beane sang fine, but I found his pairing such a heavy song with his white-ringed eyes, lounge lizard tight suit, finger-guns, swiveling hips, high-stepping performance style kind of unsettling. 

I agree.  I also felt like he didn't understand the song.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Doesn't SW always wear shades while performing? But yeah, the 'look at the audience' issue is dumb- there have been a number of blind singers both on old and recent Idol(remember Shay from 2019?) and I don't remember this coming up then. I liked Murphy's audition, but he hasn't wowed me since then. 

This show was disappointing after last week's promise. The only performance that really stood out was Alanis- that is a tough song, and she did it really well.

I think Scott MacIntyre was the first blind contestant to make the top 12 back in 2009.  He ended up in eighth place. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I would have thought, but they didn't show her at all during Hollywood Week. Maybe she just didn't have good performances and they didn't want her to look bad lol.

I didn't correct my post, but I meant the other girl as the "powerhouse" and a shoo-in from the git-go, not Alanis! In any case, the "cliffhanger" will probably  prove to be bogus, and both will move on! (I don't know any Spoilers.)

Interesting that this episode started with Alyssa from the final duet, and didn't show Grace at all. Between those two, and it's only by a slim margin, I prefer Grace's tone, control, and range. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Maya said:

I didn’t mind that they cut Murphy or the 17 year old kid who sings old country songs. I can’t imagine either one of them going outside their box without it being extremely awkward. 

I think that probably is the case.  They each have their nitch.  Since Alex was encouraged to do something other than country and he did not take the advice, it didn't help his case.  In the end, he probably knew a different style would not work for him.   And the same with Murphy. 

• Love 7

I think the judges -- or more accurately the producers--didn't want Murphy in the top 25 because his story is too similar to Just Sam who won last season.  I actually agree that he'll do better outside the confines of this show, but he was so much more authentic than most of these contestants, it a bummer that he didn't make the cut.  IMO he was a lot better than Alessandro who was their darling just a few seasons ago.  They want someone they can shape and mold and he isn't it.  

The ones that came across the least genuine (again IMO) were Hannah and Beane and they both made it and will both be amenable to whatever the producers want them to do.    I don't buy Hannah's small town yokel act for a second.  I was impressed for a minute when Katy seemed to have her number and was telling her she needed to put in the work as opposed to relying on schtick, but then they put her through which just validates what she's been doing.  She wasn't very likable in her initial audition and she was downright rude to her duet partner.  She has a good voice, but I won't be voting for her unless she transforms her personality.  Beane gave a great technical performance but I'm with those who were uncomfortable with the way he chose to perform "What's Going On."  Either he didn't understand the context or he didn't care.  It was as jarring as watching pre-pubescent girls try to sing "Chandelier."  It sounds pretty, but strips away the meaning and depth of the lyrics.  

Edited by leocadia
Just one chandelier
  • Love 7
59 minutes ago, leocadia said:

I don't buy Hannah's small town yokel act for a second.  

Exactly, neither do I, and when Katy Perry really lays it on thick and does these little "plays" with her I just want to vomit.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, leighdear said:

I think his (Murphy's) unique personality and style aren't right for the show, while I think he's amazing. Squashing him into a "theme-of-the-week" box might be entertaining to the audience, but I don't know if he would flourish there.  Twitter went nuts last night after his boot, but I imagine he'll have more fans than he can handle after this.  

This is my hope for him. When Luke said, "We don't want to clip your wings," I thought that was an unexpectedly honest comment about what being on AI would ultimately do to him. I also thought the discussion of his sight and the lights was foreshadowing that he wasn't going through.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm surprised more people are not talking about Cassandra. I thought she was amazing. Such a natural singer and a great song choice. Even with the nerves, it was such a compelling performance. I listened to the original and she made the song better by the different musical choices she made. 

Her duet partner on the other hand was a whole lot of meh. He's not a strong singer and I didn't like his performance. He's at most a mediocre busker level. 

• Love 2
On 3/29/2021 at 1:55 PM, Koalagirl said:

I think Scott MacIntyre was the first blind contestant to make the top 12 back in 2009.  He ended up in eighth place. 

My Scotty anecdote: During his season, as I recall there was kind of a running joke about high-fiving him.

Fast-forward to the rope-line after their Syracuse show. Here comes Scotty, and I go, "High five!" He does, and says, "I've  been waiting for that!" 😎 🙌

• Love 5