Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05 Get Right With God

• Start Topic

Clarice is drugged and confined to a hospital bed by a serial killer in the medical profession, causing her to experience intense hallucinations.

This was more like Hannibal. Lacking Fuller's flair, of course.

I just figured Marilyn was just amoral or greedy. She was kind of a psycho, too.

• Love 1

I guess I’ll have to start counting anachronisms in this show!  Terry Schiavo (1998) last week and the “crack baby” tonight.  Tragic as the Coma-Guy’s story might have been, no crack baby was an adult, or even a big teenager, in 1993. Because crack didn’t exist until the very early 1980s and wasn’t in any kind of common use until 1984-85.

They cut it close on the Branch Davidians in Waco (April 19, 1993) but if the show is set in the fall of that year, it works.

• Love 5

I found this episode the worst of the season.  I was bored.  We all knew that Clarice would be rescued so there was no worry.  She kept having all these dreams that I didn't care about.  I was mostly disappointed that she did exactly what they had told her not to do and went off on her own.  Everyone else had to drop everything and spend their time searching for her when she put herself in danger.  Will she ever learn? 

• Love 14

I'm hoping for no more Clarice on drugs so we don't have to see any more moths, sheep and daddy's blowed-up skull. Honestly, I fell asleep more than once during the hour. 'This' Clarice just doesn't have to gravitas to warrant all this heavy-handed psychodrama.

The only interesting thing was seeing Krendler's 'amicable' divorce playing out-I'm a bit curious about what's going on there.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

The only interesting thing was seeing Krendler's 'amicable' divorce playing out-I'm a bit curious about what's going on there.

Same. 

I also like Shaan and Ardelia interacting a bit. And I liked Clarice's memories of her dad. 

• Love 2

Maybe we'll figure out that Clarice has unresolved issues over the Buffalo Bill case if the show hits us a little harder on the head with the flashbacks.

16 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I guess I’ll have to start counting anachronisms in this show!

I went the other way, and I'll have to give the show credit.  At the end, when Agent Kumar (what's his current name?) is taking photos of the nurse, he's using a film camera and winds the spool.  Forgetting that it's 1993, I said "The FBI still uses a film camera?"

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 3

I liked some of Clarice's memories and visions of her father and the banter between her team had a lot of fun moments of levity, which this show really needs, but this was my least favorite episode. It didn't tell us anything we don't already know about Clarice and there was no real tension because we already know that Clarice will be fine. We know she has issues with her dad dying and her background in rural Appalachia, we know she is traumatized from the Buffalo Bill incident, this is just an artsy way to tell us what we already know. 

I really hope that Clarice will finally learn her lesson and stop going off on her own, people just keep telling her not to do it and now she does it again right away. Even when she is just going to do follow ups with a witness or lead who isn't supposedly a threat, she needs to at the very least let her team know where she is going as long as she is on FBI business. I hope that this finally helps that lesson sink in, but if she didn't learn a lesson after Buffalo Bill...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

As soon as I saw the episode description, I decided to skip it.  I don't care about Clarice's dreams (we already know about family issues, Buffalo Bill PTSD, there have been a lot of flashbacks etc).  At this point, I'm not sure there even is any series story line, it seems pretty episodic to me.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mjc570 said:

'm not sure there even is any series story line, it seems pretty episodic to me.

Oh there’s a story line.  It’s dragging out at a snails pace.   I would prefer we got a case of the week while they slow walk this medical trial crime all season.  Because I don’t care about it at all.  Plus I never watched SOTL or Hannibal so the flashbacks don’t do a thing for me. 

• Love 1

I’m quickly tiring of this show. SOTL is my favorite movie, and I really enjoyed the NBC Hannibal so this show is right up my alley, but damn it is getting boring and stale. This episode was just bad. There is no drama when the title character of a show is in danger in the fifth episode. Are we really supposed to be worried that something would actually happen to her? 

Also, the constant flashes to close-ups of moths and horses eyes and sheep are just comical now. The showrunners are like, “There were moths in SOTL so we’re going to hit you over the head with moth imagery because it’s so clever! See, it’s a callback to the film! Do you get it!? We need more moths!”

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I’m quickly tiring of this show. SOTL is my favorite movie, and I really enjoyed the NBC Hannibal so this show is right up my alley, but damn it is getting boring and stale.

Totally agree, and it's really a shame that the showrunners of Hannibal couldn't get clearance to use the character of Clarice because they would have made something spectacular.

• Love 1

So . . . President Biden spoke at, what, 7:30?  8pm?  CBS told us that all shows would be pushed back accordingly.  Comcast channel guide said that "Clarice" would begin at 10:20 pm (until 11:20 pm).  So I set my DVR accordingly.  As a result of the push back, or of a very short presidential speech, or just of a total screw-up, my DVR recorded only the last 37 minutes of the show (most of that time being commercials.)  And guess what?  The show made sense to me:  Clarice drugged and in danger of being killed and/or sent to the incinerator, Clarice outwits the psychopath, Clarice stumbles and falls and is in danger again, FBI team goes to "hospital" where Clarice is being held and is outwitted by said psychopath, Clarice ultimately is rescued by FBI.  So what did I miss:  😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lostinthehouse said:

So what did I miss: 

All the FBI guys and lady standing in a circle asking if you have seen Clairce lately.

There was also a weird scene with the FBI chief and his future Ex-wife in a restaurant.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I am really giving this show a hard try, given how much I love the source material, the movies and adore the Hannibal tv show, but I don't see this going the distance in it's current state. All those versions had that special ingredient, the dynamic between Hannibal and Clarice/Will. This show is really lacking that. It's trying desperately to compensate with Buffalo Bill imaginary and Catherine Martin, but it's coming of as just drab.

Frankly, CBS showed how nearsighted they were when they denied NBC the rights to use Clarice, because I have no doubt that we would have had Hannibal in this show now, teased maybe just as a guest appearance, but it would have worked.

This way, they can only make vague references and nothing else.

• Love 1
On 3/11/2021 at 11:11 PM, The Wild Sow said:

I guess I’ll have to start counting anachronisms in this show!  Terry Schiavo (1998) last week and the “crack baby” tonight.  Tragic as the Coma-Guy’s story might have been, no crack baby was an adult, or even a big teenager, in 1993. Because crack didn’t exist until the very early 1980s and wasn’t in any kind of common use until 1984-85.

They cut it close on the Branch Davidians in Waco (April 19, 1993) but if the show is set in the fall of that year, it works.

Very true. Crack babies are people in my age group and under. Even though it was fine that the clean up guy was listening to "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now. )" The track was three years old by '93. He had to be listening to a tape. Gangsta and political rap were popular on top 40 radio around this time.  Clarice's hallucinations didn't scare nor move me. I'm already tired of her dead daddy, Bill and those moths. Like tell us something we don't know.

Edited by Simba122504
Added something.
  • Love 2