Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E15: Better Bedder; Everything Legendary; Walkee Paws; Hopscotch

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Sharks: Mark, Barbara, Kevin, Lori, Daymond

An item to hold bed sheets in place to help making your bed easier, a vegan gourmet burger, a all-in-one legging and socks for dogs to help fight germs and dirt, a game creation tool for kids learning how to code 

The Better Bedder (like a big headband that goes around the circumference of your mattress.   To put sheets on, just tuck them into the headband.  No more pop off fitted sheets, flat sheets work too).   This is one seller story that I liked hearing.   Lori invests, and beat Barbara out for the deal.   Lori will get their manufacturing cost down, and get them on QVC, I bet they sell many millions worth of product a year.    

Everything Legendary-(Vegan plant based burgers)-30% more expensive than other competitors, and sellers claim it's equivalent to Kobi or Wagyu beef in taste and texture.  All of their customer acquisition has been word of mouth.   The sellers want to help people improve their health.  Kevin says it's the best plant based burger he ever tasted.    Mark makes the deal, and he's already thinking about how to increase sales.    He'll be a great partner for the sellers. 

Walkee Paws-(Booties/Leggings combo that supposedly keeps the dog's paws and legs clean on walks or playtime.  They also have rain coats, and cold weather coats).   Great margins. Seller is doing one called gripper sock versions so dogs don't slip when in the house, on hard floors. (My dog didn't like my laminate floor, so I bought the clearance remainders of rug, or sheet vinyl at the hardware store, and that worked fine.   I wouldn't expect to put doggie socks on him, and having them on him an hour later.   How many sets of the leggings/booties does the average dog owner buy either?   You would have to clean them up between walks, or when they get wet and muddy, and they won't dry instantly)   No deal. 

Hopscotch-(An app that teaches kids to code)-Mark actually does this with his kids.   She gets a deal, with Mark Cuban.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Not convinced that better bedder will keep the sheets from pulling off the corners, which is my pet peeves. 

That plant based burger is too expensive.  You can say it's like kobe beef but doesn't mean people will pay that much for it.  

The hopscotch lady I think it's a great product that she doesn't know how to make money off of, which is a shame.  Yes kids can make games to sell but I here are thousands of games out their already to buy, made by professionals.  

I like the walker paws idea.  Hope she makes it on her own. 

• Love 1

I hated the bed band, but then, I can't stand for my sheets to not be completely tucked and hospital cornered. I'm not the target customer. It looked kind of cheaply made, too—a giant elastic band with a huge seam. It was way too expensive for what it was.

No way am I paying $40 for a box of veggie burgers.

The dog booties lady looked like she was dressed for the gym.

• Love 4

Don't get what makes those plant based burgers any different from other plant based burgers. The market is already awash in them. And some people will just be fine going to McDonalds or Burger King for a similar product. Better Bedder, eh. That's not a good solution to me. Dog boots are a pretty neat idea but I fully support her not wanting to give over that much of her company. Not sure how Mark expects to really make money off Hopscotch.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I hated the bed band, but then, I can't stand for my sheets to not be completely tucked and hospital cornered. I'm not the target customer. It looked kind of cheaply made, too—a giant elastic band with a huge seam. It was way too expensive for what it was.

Same here. Hospital corners and no wrinkles! No way that would suit me.

I thought this episode was pretty dull. The walkee paws thing is a stupid name for a dumb-looking product. Nothing was really interesting here to me.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Too bad Damon wanted 25%.  He had the best plan for the bed band.... hotels.   If this can speed up the servicing of rooms, hotels will buy in bulk.   

I thought he had the best idea too, but there is not really anything stopping the bed band people and Lori from taking the idea and going to hotels themselves. Personally, I was not a fan of the band. Making the bed is not that hard, and if I don't have time for it, I just leave it unmade. I liked the women running the business though.

As a vegetarian, I was not interested in the burgers. I hate veggie burgers that are made to taste like meat. I missed that they were $40.....I would never spend that much on a frozen food product. I wouldn't even spend that much in a restaurant.

I don't have dogs, so I didn't get the booties thing. People really do that to their dogs?

I liked the idea behind Hopscotch, I hope Mark can help her figure out how to make money. If any Shark can, I think he is the one who can help her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't have dogs, so I didn't get the booties thing. People really do that to their dogs?

I think of them as a winter thing, particularly in an area that salts the ground....salt can hurt doggy paws.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Same here. Hospital corners and no wrinkles! No way that would suit me.

I thought this episode was pretty dull. The walkee paws thing is a stupid name for a dumb-looking product. Nothing was really interesting here to me.

What are “hospital corners”?

Thoughts:
(1) The bed band looked so cheap and unfinished, I can't believe someone would buy it.  It's an interesting idea, there must be a number of people out there who because of their physical condition have trouble lifting the mattress, but I think it would look like a real lumpy mess unless you smoothed the sheets inside it.

(2) I'm always interested in plant-based meat subs (for my husband, I prefer just real vegetables) but that price was way too high.  I can see a lot of people buying it, though.

(3) Dog paw leggings - I would consider it, my dog getting salt on her paws is a real issue in the winter, but the Amazon reviews said the items were really cheaply made and tore easily.  I did like the woman, I thought she seemed like a good business person, and her dog was cute.  

(4)  Hopscotch - loved the product, and the young woman.  I don't think she is really capitalistic enough for investors, so I'm glad Mark accepted her counteroffer.  I don't have young children (any more), but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other similar products out there.  Hopscotch is already established, though.  

Generally, not a bad episode, although I was ready to FF when the Legendary Fake meat people started tearing up (but contained it, so good for them, I guess)

Edited by mjc570
spelling
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

What are “hospital corners”?

It means making the bed extremely precisely so nothing comes loose and everything is lined up perfectly.  You can google it for photos.  

As a vegetarian, I was not interested in the burgers. I hate veggie burgers that are made to taste like meat.

I'm a carnivore but occasionally I pick up the Trader Joe's masala burger. It's mostly potato with Indian spice flavoring. I just throw it in the microwave and generally eat as is and not like an actual patty in a bun. But I'm also not much of a cook. If you like Indian its reeeaaally good.

4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

It means making the bed extremely precisely so nothing comes loose and everything is lined up perfectly.  You can google it for photos.  

No need. I’m the pull the duvet up and done kind of person.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I also wondered if someone tall would feel the lumpiness and wouldn’t the top sheet come out?  I do think it’s a great idea for someone that is sick, elderly that can’t be moved much, caregivers, hospitals, hotels. 

• Love 1

I just don't see the bed band fixing the problem of the sheets coming off the edge.  It would have to be SUPER tight for that.  And that is what bugs me the most, not having to tuck it in or under.  Getting it to STAY is the problem fir me, especially the fitted first sheet that goes on

• Love 4

I liked the first two deals. The bed thing will have a market, possibly a really good market, and the sharks knew it. They also knew that they could bring a lot to the table right away both by lowing costs and by opening up sales channels.  It's not something I think we need in our house, but for sure I see the value to someone who just wants/needs a way to make the bed without having to deal with lifting up mattresses.

And I liked the veggie burger people and think they got a deal because their product was genuinely good. Again, Mark clearly felt he could add value for them and still make money. I'm sure he'll attack that cost per unit without sacrificing quality, and he'll figure out a way to get the product distributed to the people who will want it.  The sharks, and I don't remember if it was just Mark, had some good ideas about what to do with it.  

(edited)
On 2/26/2021 at 9:08 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not convinced that better bedder will keep the sheets from pulling off the corners, which is my pet peeves. 

They didn't demonstrate how to put it on the bed. It looked as though that would be a real struggle unless you have two or more people to help stretch it. She also didn't say if it is available for more than one size mattress and how often you should expect to have to take it off to wash it. Maybe she should pair up with two weeks ago No-Wash-Sheet-Guy.

Edited by eel21788
  • LOL 2
(edited)
On 2/27/2021 at 11:58 AM, KaveDweller said:

Likewise, she didn't demonstrate how it was any easier to put hers on her dog. If the dog doesn't like booties, I would think there would be resistance no matter what kind they are. As for keeping them on the dog, made she should just be selling the suspenders that can be adjusted in length to hold on any type dog bootie. Making the dog wear booties and suspenders in the house to keep from slipping on the hardwood floor just sounds cruel to me. 

The expression on her face was priceless when Kevin picked up the demo-dog by the strap like a briefcase.

Edited by eel21788
  • LOL 2
On 2/27/2021 at 11:58 AM, KaveDweller said:

I liked the idea behind Hopscotch, I hope Mark can help her figure out how to make money. If any Shark can, I think he is the one who can help her.

She should really consider herself lucky that he did. Her valuation was ridiculous for someone who is barely breaking even after 8 years. He usually balks at that kind of thing and the endless negotiating for a percentage point here and there.

• Love 2
On 2/26/2021 at 11:51 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Don't get what makes those plant based burgers any different from other plant based burgers. The market is already awash in them. And some people will just be fine going to McDonalds or Burger King for a similar product. 

Our staple Vegan-Product-of-the-Week. 4% of the country is vegan? I can only see that number going down. What are all these companies pitching vegan products going to do when the fad is over?

• Love 1
On 2/27/2021 at 11:34 AM, DEL901 said:

Too bad Damon wanted 25%.  He had the best plan for the bed band.... hotels.   If this can speed up the servicing of rooms, hotels will buy in bulk.   

I'd be pretty leery of a hotel that used them. They look as though they would be a bedbug sanctuary. You know they aren't going to change it every time a guest checks out of the room. It won't get cleaned any more often than the mattress.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2021 at 12:02 AM, bilgistic said:

The dog booties lady looked like she was dressed for the gym.

More and more I see people completely inappropriately dressed to make a professional business pitch.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:58 PM, KaveDweller said:

I thought he had the best idea too, but there is not really anything stopping the bed band people and Lori from taking the idea and going to hotels themselves. Personally, I was not a fan of the band. Making the bed is not that hard, and if I don't have time for it, I just leave it unmade. I liked the women running the business though.

I was very interested in seeing the bed thing because I have trouble changing the sheets because the mattress is heavy, etc.  I delegated that job to my hubby.  The Sharks were concerned about how the band would be exposed, but you would have your duvet/comforter/bedspread on top that would hide it.  In the end, I'm not sure that it would be tight enough to hold everything down well, and it is very expensive for what it is, so not for me.

Those veggie burgers were insanely expensive and that one guy WAS SO FREAKING LOUD.  If I was a shark, I would have never given him a deal because I don't think that I could last a day around him.  The price has to come way down, to survive - I don't care how premium they think their burgers are.

Hopscotch - As someone who has worked in software development since olden-times, I would have liked to see the extended pitch of this to really understand better how this works.

• Love 1

I think Mark just liked the burger and wanted a endless supply of them. I mean, does the world really need another veggie burger?!

How are you gonna cram a fitted sheet and top sheet into that band without it looking like a stuffed sausage. I can't stand it when the bottom sheet has wrinkling or bunching underneath me, so I would have to go around and around that thing tucking to make sure it flat and smooth. 

• Love 1
On 2/27/2021 at 1:58 PM, KaveDweller said:

When I had my dogs, I tried to but it takes forever to get them on and off and they were NOT HAPPY wearing them.  Salt on a pavement can dry out the paws much like cracked skin on a human heel.

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Lots of us dunked on Better Bedder, but thanks to the show business has quadrupled.

The Snark Tank effect. Considering the snarks' idea was to sell it to hotels and hospitals, a four-fold increase in sales doesn't indicate that. Also, once it is in the customers' hands, will they approve of it and think it was worth the money? A one-time increase in sales still doesn't mean much.