Type keyword(s) to search

Going Undercover: Spoilers And Speculation

• Start Topic

I wasn't sure if this information was considered spoilers or not - in any event, here's a write-up in The New York Times...

In ‘Superman & Lois,’ the Heroes Face a New Menace: Teenagers
George Gene Gustines    February 22, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/arts/television/superman-and-lois-cw.html

There is a line of dialogue in the opening episode of “Superman & Lois,” premiering Tuesday on the CW, that sums up the latest depiction of this storied super-romance. Lois Lane (portrayed by Elizabeth Tulloch) tells Clark Kent (played by Tyler Hoechlin), the alter ego of the Man of Steel, “No one ever dreams about the problems, but every life has them — even the extraordinary ones.”

“Superman and Lois” opens more than a decade after the marriage of Clark and Lois and finds the couple facing dilemmas impervious to Superman’s powers: the loss of a loved one; layoffs at The Daily Planet; a threat of foreclosure at the Kent family farm in Smallville, where Clark grew up. Lois and Clark are also raising two teenage sons, one of whom has been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, and the demands of being Superman have made Clark somewhat of an absent father. With puberty comes superpowers in at least one of the boys, who until now were unaware of their father’s caped crusading. Will relocating to Smallville help mend the family?
Tulloch and Hoechlin answered questions about this new chapter in the lives of Superman and Lois in a joint phone interview last week. These are edited excerpts from the conversation.
What do you think viewers will find most relatable about the new series?
ELIZABETH TULLOCH The show is really about a family, and it’s a family that is dealing with a lot of the same kinds of issues that people around the world are dealing with right now. The Superman and Lois aspect is secondary. It’s interesting to see these iconic characters struggle. They are at the pinnacle of their careers, but as parents to teenagers, they are faltering a little.

TYLER HOECHLIN It’s not like you show up every week and they have all the answers. That aspect allows you to put yourself in their shoes.
What are your favorite parts of being in this series so far?
HOECHLIN In the pilot, things aren’t going great. There’s a lot of hardship. We’re allowed to sit in those intimate times. We didn’t get that chance in any of the crossovers.

TULLOCH I really love scenes with this iconic duo and couple. Even when they disagree, there’s respect. They don’t agree on whether to tell the boys about his powers. He’s putting his foot down, but she’s letting her views be known.
Are there any past interpretations of the characters that influence you?
HOECHLIN
I’ve not seen a single Superman movie. I’m usually so afraid to say that, but it just feels better to say it. It was not because I didn’t want to, but as a kid, they just weren’t the movies I saw. I recall watching two or three episodes of “Lois and Clark” with my mother. With “Supergirl,” I did not want to see other versions of Superman. If I have an instinct to do something, I didn’t want it to be emulating or shying away from someone else’s version.

TULLOCH The only Lois I’ve seen is Margot Kidder’s, who I absolutely loved. When I booked this role, I also consciously made the decision not to see other versions. I want my Lois to succeed on her own.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Superman & Lois reveals the iconic couple's meet-cute in new clip
By Chancellor Agard February 22, 2021
https://ew.com/tv/superman-lois-premiere-clip-meet-cute/

Superman & Lois very much isn't an origin story for the Man of Steel, seeing as how the series is about Clark Kent (Tyler Hoechlin) and Lois Lane (Elizabeth Tulloch) moving back to Smallville to raise their two teenage sons Jonathan (Jordan Elsass) and Jordan (Alexander Garfin). That being said, though, the CW superhero drama's premiere does open with a montage that revisits key events from the Last Son of Krypton's history — and EW is exclusively debuting a snippet from that sequence that reveals Clark and Lois' meet-cute.

In the clip above, Clark arrives at the Daily Planet for his first day of work and is almost speechless when he meets Lois, who immediately teases the mild-mannered farm boy for wearing a tie. From there, Lois takes her nervous new coworker on a walk-and-talk through the bustling newsroom as Clark, ironically, struggles to keep up with her fast-pace.

"I feel pretty proud of that opening montage where we get to kind of go through Superman's mythology, from baby Kal-El arriving in the pod to young Clark with Martha and Jonathan, and through him meeting Lois," pilot director Lee Toland Krieger (Riverdale) tells EW. "All of that stuff felt good. It felt like it was fitting. It felt like we [got to] have our fun with that mythology and then get into the show."
According to Krieger, Richard Donner's Superman inspired how they approached both this moment and a few others set at the Daily Planet.

"We wanted a Daily Planet that looked more like the Donner Daily Planet," Krieger tells EW. "That kind of All the President's Men sort of giant suite with the fluorescent ceiling that goes on forever is almost impossible to find in Vancouver. We got as close as we could. We actually shot at the Vancouver Daily Sun newspaper, which had never had photography there because they're a working newspaper. Just because of COVID, nobody was there and we got to shoot in there. But looking at the blocking in the Donner movie is, dare I say, like watching some of Billy Wilder's work. His blocking, especially in the Daily Planet with Perry White and Clark and Lois and the oners [long takes] there are just really brilliantly laid out, and kind of not what you would expect in a movie like that."

Krieger also revisited Zack Snyder's Man of Steel when he stepped on to helm the CW drama's first two episodes.

"I admit, I'm a fan of Man of Steel, more than maybe most people," he says. "I think if you go back and watch that movie now, a lot of it holds up really beautifully. I think the third act of that movie maybe falls victim to what a lot of giant tentpole movies fall victim to, which is kind of the 'Okay, now the world is being destroyed and we have to save the whole planet from imminent destruction,' and that's always just a tough place to go and make it still feel intimate. But the intimate moments of that movie I think are really beautiful. We certainly looked at, in particular, the [movie's] suit. The suit, obviously, is a great looking suit, despite people thinking it was somewhat heretical to lose the underpants. I think now it sort of seems like the gold standard. Certainly the cape action, a lot of the practical cape and the [digitally-rendered version of the] cape work was something I don't I fully appreciated until we were in the weeds on it, but is really wonderful and lends itself to some of those more heroic moments."

(DCTV Heroes)

Edited by tv echo

How Superman & Lois brings the Man of Steel mythos down to earth — and into a new era
By Chancellor Agard    February 22, 2021 
https://ew.com/tv/superman-lois-premiere-preview/ 

While there aren't any overt references to the rest of the Arrowverse in the series premiere, you can expect some in the rest of the season. "There's a nod that I don't think anybody has picked up yet in episode 2," Helbing teases. "As the season progresses, you're going to hear a little bit more about it. You know, we have John Diggle [David Ramsey] coming over. So it's certainly not like we're ignoring anything. We're just not playing it the same way as it's been played on the other shows."

Edited by tv echo

Superman and Lois - Episode 1.04 - Haywire - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at February 27, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/02/superman-and-lois-episode-104-haywire.html

"Haywire" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

TRUTH - While sitting in the stands at the high school football game, Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) and Chrissy (guest star Sofia Hasmik) spot fish out of water Morgan Edge (Adam Rayner) conversing with Mayor Dean and Kyle Kushing (Erik Valdez), and the two see right through this insincere move to try to win over the town. Meanwhile, Clark (Tyler Hoechlin) agrees to help Lois out at a town hall meeting, but things get tense when he finds himself pulled in two different directions. Lastly, Jonathan (Jordan Elsass) is having mixed emotions about Jordan's (Alex Garfin) newfound status. Emmanuelle Chriqui, Inde Navarrette, Wolé Parks and Dylan Walsh also star. (#104). The episode was written by Michael Narducci and directed by James Bamford. Original airdate 3/16/2021.

Edited by tv echo

Superman & Lois: John Diggle To Appear “Halfway Through The Season”
Craig Byrne      April 21, 2021
http://www.kryptonsite.com/superman-lois-john-diggle-to-appear-halfway-through-the-season/

Before the new season began it was announced that Arrow’s “John Diggle,” David Ramsey, would be directing several shows across the Arrowverse in addition to making guest appearances on them. Now, thanks to an interview in issue #337 of SFX Magazine (now hitting newsstands), we may have an idea of when he will be showing up, thanks to Executive Producer/Showrunner Todd Helbing himself.

“Diggle comes into our show halfway through the season,” Helbing told interviewer Bryan Cairns. “Where you last saw him, there are many different things that could have happened to him, but we will explain exactly what did.”

It the Arrow series finale, it looked to us like there was a Green Lantern ring that John had found… was that how his story ended, or might Superman & Lois reveal that’s not the case? We’ll see when David Ramsey shows up on Superman & Lois sometime after the show’s return on May 18. (It can also be noted that David Ramsey directed the series’ seventh episode which, by all calculations, should air May 25.)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

https://ew.com/tv/the-flash-tom-cavanagh-exit-interview/ 

You're also slated to direct an episode of Superman & Lois. Have you started shooting that yet?
They asked me to direct their finale. As you know, I directed the 100th episode of Flash and I embraced the pomp and circumstance of these types of episode, and I'm really grateful to be jumping on board Superman & Lois.

And let's talk about that for a second. It's a funny thing to say, like "Wait… Superman!" I love the fact that's a Warner Bros. property that's getting yet another go-around. I love the fact that they're getting to the emotional and familial heart of it. I'm just really looking forward to directing their finale. That doesn't start for a couple weeks when we [head into] prep. I'm just so grateful for the invitation.

Getting a chance to direct a show that visually distinct from The Flash must be exciting.
It's so funny. The way they shot is they went with anamorphic lenses. So, I did this short film called Tom & Grant about the world's worst bank robbers (And you can get that on Vimeo for $1, starring Tom Cavanagh and Grant Gustin! Twenty minutes of your life you can't get back.) But that had such a fun run at a bunch of festivals and I remember people talking about that exact point, "Hey, your cinematic style is you went anamorphic and comedy at the same time. Were you worried about pulling it off?" No, it's possible to look good and be funny.

Superman & Lois isn't a comedy, and I think the richness of the emotion they're trying to bring is mirrored by their cinematic style. I think it looks ridiculously great. I remember the [shot of] the amber waves of grain and the sun setting with the iconic Kent mailbox in front of the Smallville farmhouse, it says so much! If you're a fan of the comic, that shot is pulled out from the best artwork that Superman has offered over the years and they're doing it on camera. It's really wonderful.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Ghosts, The Rookie, Superman & Lois, All Rise, The Resident, Wheel of Time and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 17 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/17/ghosts-spoilers-trevors-missing-pants/ 

Any info on Superman & Lois Season 2, especially why Clark and Lois seem at odds in the promo? Tell me my favorite TV couple are on the same page again fairly quickly. –Marie
When Season 2 opens up, we learn that Lois has been a bit on edge — with everyone — ever since her daughter-from-another/doppelgänger-mother arrived via space pod, and you (and Clark) will find out exactly why by the end of the season opener. (Speaking of Natalie, new seres regular Tayler Buck is really good in the role.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Inside Line: Scoop on #OneChicago, FBI, Lone Star, SEAL Team, The Boys, New Amsterdam, Superman and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 7 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/01/07/chicago-fire-spoilers-winter-olympics-hiatus-scheduling/

Will we get to hear Superman’s new “motto” about “truth, justice and a better tomorrow” on Superman & Lois this season? –Phil
We delivered your Q to showrunner Todd Helbing, and he said, “So far, where we’re at in the scripts, he hasn’t said it yet. But I wouldn’t be shocked if he said that at some point in the show.”

Edited by tv echo

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on La Brea, Chicago Fire, WCTH, Dynasty, Undone, OMITB, Flash, Ordinary Joe and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 19 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/01/19/la-brea-season-2-spoilers-murder-mystery/ 

Since Jonathan Kent has recently been revealed to be bisexual in the comics, can we expect Superman & Lois to delve deeper into Jonathan’s sexuality? –Fatih
You probably shouldn’t expect the show to follow the comic’s lead per se. “We’re certainly not opposed to exploring it,” Superman & Lois showrunner Todd Helbing told TVLine when we delivered your query. “But the way our character was set up, it feels like the comic book story and what we’re doing are two separate stories. I don’t think that we will, but we’re certainly not opposed to it.”

1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

The cover of the upcoming Arrowverse comics that will focus on Superman and Lois.  It's going to be canon and explain, among other things, Evil Superman's origin.  Is it just me or does it look like creepy middle aged Superman flying off with a teenager?  Kind of missed the mark there with the art.

Maybe the answer is in your post.  Maybe that IS Evil Superman.  :)

I have a question, and I'm not sure where to post it.  I don't think it's really a spoiler, but here seems like a good enough place.  Full disclosure: I don't read the comics.  I just saw a headline that said that DC is going to kill off the "old" heroes to focus on the "new" heroes - one of which is Jon Kent.  But in this show, it's Jordan who has the powers and not Jonathan.  Does anyone know why?  Do we think Jon will get them later?

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I have a question, and I'm not sure where to post it.  I don't think it's really a spoiler, but here seems like a good enough place.  Full disclosure: I don't read the comics.  I just saw a headline that said that DC is going to kill off the "old" heroes to focus on the "new" heroes - one of which is Jon Kent.  But in this show, it's Jordan who has the powers and not Jonathan.  Does anyone know why?  Do we think Jon will get them later?

I wouldn’t expect this story to be like the comics. Different universes ‘explains’ everything. 

• Love 1

With the latest episode being called "The inverse method" and Bizarro usually talking backwards, anyone else think there might be a link between his appearance and the cult somehow. Lucy's description of what was happening, seeing her other self etc.

9 hours ago, ukgirl71 said:

Given the tattered cape, I’m going for Bizarro and (somehow he got through/it’s a flashback?) his world’s version of Superboy.

I overlooked the cape at first, so yeah, it definitely looks like Bizarro world Superman and his son Jon or possibly Conner Kent as punk Superboy. Either this is a flashback we see via Bizarro Supes' memories, or somehow our Superman or someone else gets a glimpse into the Bizarro universe.

• Love 1
On 2/17/2022 at 8:38 PM, PAForrest said:

I overlooked the cape at first, so yeah, it definitely looks like Bizarro world Superman and his son Jon or possibly Conner Kent as punk Superboy. Either this is a flashback we see via Bizarro Supes' memories, or somehow our Superman or someone else gets a glimpse into the Bizarro universe.

I guess that's bizarro Krypto, then?

(edited)

S.H.I.E.L.D. Vet Elizabeth Henstridge on Directing Big Superman & Lois Drama: 'We're Going to Break Your Heart'
By Matt Webb Mitovich / March 7 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/03/07/elizabeth-henstridge-superman-and-lois-director-season-2-clark-prisoner/ 

For Elizabeth Henstridge‘s directorial debut, as a cast member of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., she wound up delivering one of TV’s greatest time loop episodes. And while her second time behind the camera, for The CW’s Superman & Lois (airing this Tuesday at 8/7c), didn’t involve such a brain-hurting, circular narrative, it presented challenges of its own, which she details in the TVLine Q&A below.

In the episode “Anti-Hero,” Superman (played by Tyler Hoechlin) — now detained alongside his brother Tal-Rho (Adam Rayner) — urges Lt. Anderson (Ian Bohen) to investigate Ally Allston (Rya Kihlstedt), while Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) receives some very upsetting news. And that’s not the half of it, folks.
TVLINE | The S.H.I.E.L.D. episode you directed of course handed you a doozy of a premise, and you in turn delivered one of TV’s great time loop episodes. What challenges did this episode of Superman & Lois present?
Thank you! It has a lot of fighting in it, and a lot of wire work, a lot of big green screen…. I’ve done green screen, but when I walked into this set I was like, “Oh!” I may have been overconfident.

TVLINE | You’re, like, shooting a fortress and it’s one Styrofoam boulder and the rest is all green screen. 
Exactly! And the flying scenes are just so specific to shoot…. So yeah, basically we have a whole act that’s a fight, and as an actor I didn’t do that much fighting, but I shadowed a lot and I’ve been around it. But it’s very different when you’re in the driver’s seat and 200 people look to you like, “All right, what do we do? That was a challenge in some ways, but I loved every second of it. They have such an incredible team over there — Rob Hayter heads up the stunts and he’s brilliant, and the CGI team is amazing…. I felt very supported.

And then they shoot in a very specific way, using anamorphic lenses [for a cinematic look and aspect ratio] which I’ve never shot with before. They have a real identity which I love, but you do have to get up to speed with that so I don’t ruin my favorite show.

TVLINE | You talk about all the fighting, and on top of that you’ve got Tyler Hoechlin playing two different characters in those scenes. Is he the hardest working man in show business right now, from what you saw?
Oh my gosh. I think so. I think so. There was one moment where I was like “Hang on, break down for me your work week…,” because he has to learn all the fights, from two different sides if Bizarro is there, and he has to learn the [alien] language, which is a whole different beast, and then he has to learn the next script while we’re shooting the current script…. It is incredible, but his work ethic is amazing and he does it all with a big smile on his face. He and Bitsie [Tulloch, who plays Lois] set a brilliant tone with the show, but it’s amazing how hard they all work. It was really, really impressive.

But yes, the Bizarro/Superman aspect of it within a fight scene that has, what, five people in it? With CGI, and wires? It was a lot. It was a puzzle which was very satisfying to deconstruct and then piece together and to see the edit. I’m so proud of how hard everybody worked.
TVLINE | What kind of drama will we get from your episode, both on the family front and on the superhero front?
Oh my gosh, we’re going to break your heart. You need a pack of tissues, and then you also need a pillow to squeeze into and to punch and to hide behind. It’s an episode that has everything that I would want, and I think we really deliver on all fronts. The acting in it is phenomenal and we’ve earned these really big moments of emotion and turning points for a bunch of characters. We also get these big, big sequences that have a lot of elements to them, and we get Bizarro, and we get things that I think people are going to have strong opinions on. [Laughs] And we get to see the genesis of a couple of characters that is going to have a massive impact on where the season goes.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

For those interested, the comic book doesn't really drop anything of significance regarding the main characters - the primary story is about how Lois and Clark were always tied up when they tried to have a nice first anniversary dinner.  As for the black suited Superman, contrary to what the show implied he was not mind controlled.  The Kents were killed in a car accident when he was a kid, so he got tossed into a crappy foster family.  The foster dad was an abusive prick and Clark accidentally heat visioned him.  Then he escaped government custody and spent 20 years being a much more proactive Superman (i.e. stopping wars, etc.) and doesn't appear to have had a civilian identity.  The regular citizens approved (which does match what we saw in the show) but because the usual crap still happened he got fed up with humanity and was all in with what Tal-Rho was saying when he finally showed up.

Inside Line: Scoop on For All Mankind, The Boys, Animal Kingdom, Ghosts, Stranger Things, HIMYF, FBI and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 24 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/sonya-walger-for-all-mankind-season-3-molly-fired-leaving/ 

Any last tease for the Superman & Lois season finale? –C.C.
Alex Garfin, who plays Jordan, shared this bit: Dylan Walsh as Sam Lane “gives an incredible speech. He’s the old pro on set, having been in the business a while, seeing him orate a speech like that was incredible I hope people enjoy that.” Bonus fun fact: Arrowverse vet Tom Cavanagh, who directed Superman & Lois Season 1’s “Last Sons of Krypton” (in which Jordan was possessed by Zeta), is set to helm the Season 3 premiere. “I’m super excited to play with the fancy technical tools they have over there,” he effused to me. “With the anamorphic lenses, my God, you’re making a wide-screen movie all the time over there.”

Superman and Lois S02 Finale: Is John Diggle Recruiting for Justice U?
Posted on June 23, 2022
https://bleedingcool.com/tv/superman-and-lois-s02-finale-is-john-diggle-recruiting-for-justice-u/ 

Well, that didn't take long. With The CW's Tyler Hoechlin & Elizabeth Tulloch-starring Superman & Lois racing towards next week's second season finale, we have the official set of preview images for S02E20 "Waiting for Superman" that help provide more clues to what's expected to be an even more important season-ender than usual. ....

SML215b_0280r.jpg

SML215a_0410r.jpg

SML215b_0084r.jpg

SML215a_0068r.jpg

SML215b_0106r.jpg

(There are more pics in the article than what's posted above.)

I’m at Dragon*Con and somebody shared s3 casting news. I know this is the spoiler thread, but I’ll still put it under a spoiler cut… 

Spoiler

The villain for season 3 will be played by Chad Coleman, of The Wire and The Expanse. He just announced it straight out at a panel for The Expanse.

Then I was at an Arrow panel with Colton Haynes and David Ramsey. Both absolutely delightful, loved working on Berlanti shows, cracked each other up on the set all the time. David said he hopes he gets to do more on the “S&L” earth. Colton would love to work with Hoechlin again, but isn’t sure how Roy Harper would fit on S&L. In pure speculation, David knows Melissa would love to be involved, but isn’t sure if/how Berlanti would make it happen. 

In regards to the above... David was teasing that he knew who the big bad for next S&L season is, and they might be at this very con. “You’ll see next season and look back at your program and say, ‘Oh yeah, they were there.’”

Spoiler

Colton and some in the audience were trying to find out, and David said, “I’m not saying who she is.” Colton:”You said ‘she’!” David: Oops!” Then a woman who had come up to the mic to ask a question said, “He already told us yesterday. It’s Chad Coleman.” David was bummed that the secret was spilled and he didn’t get to tell the news. Colton: “You said ‘She’!” David: “I was trying to throw you off!” He’s very excited, though; he loves Chad.

😂

Edited by ahisma

So, with the news of the show being renewed for a fourth season and cast members being cut from their series regular status, I thought that meant the ones being dropped would be dropped to recurring.

However, Dylan Walsh's wife posted on Instagram last night that he was being cut from season 4 completely, so it seems like cast members may be dropped completely from season 4 to save money. It also sounds like the cast knows if they're returning for season 4 or not, so we'll hear about it sooner rather than later.

So, if that's truly the case, if Dylan's cut from season 4 (poor Sam Lane), that could mean more cast departure in the coming weeks. My best guess is that they drop Sofia/Chrissy, potentially Erik/Kyle, and I could see them giving the Irons a send-off in early season 4 if they're really itching to save money.

I’m disappointed for Dylan Walsh, and definitely intrigued as to what direction the story will go in to cut Sam Lane out completely.  He’s more integral to the show than Chrissy or Kyle, so they will likely go to recurring status at least.  I would be happy for the Irons to go recurring or go completely, given their lack of real impact this season (so far).

• Like 1
On 6/13/2023 at 12:24 PM, ukgirl71 said:

I’m disappointed for Dylan Walsh, and definitely intrigued as to what direction the story will go in to cut Sam Lane out completely.  He’s more integral to the show than Chrissy or Kyle, so they will likely go to recurring status at least.  I would be happy for the Irons to go recurring or go completely, given their lack of real impact this season (so far).

My unspoiled prediction: in surviving whatever threats Luthor puts forth in the finale, the Kents realize they have to return to Metropolis to report on his activities at the Daily Planet and try to put him away for good. So they say goodbye to the Cushings/Cortezes/Langs and Christine. Sam too. Once they are back in Metropolis, we get some combination of STAR Labs and Inspector Henderson or a new Metropolis Police liaison to take over the functions of Sam Lane/the DOD: providing support/intel/exposition for Superman/Lois. Yes, I will miss Sam as Lois's father. But we didn't get any check-ins from Lucy this season despite Lois's cancer or any fallout from Lucy contributing to a near-apocalypse last season, so it's not without precedent that a family member might fall off the map.