Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: #Palmtreefreform

dubbel zout
  • Start Topic

I loved this episode.

When Arpi fell down and was howling? That was great. I already liked Arpi, but now I might have to start liking Holly Hunter.

Orly lecturing her dad about exclusion? Awesome.

The Tik Toks were great.

The "were we really trying to help him?" moment was also great. I'm glad they turned that around. 

• Love 6

I wonder why the season was cut short, I assume it must be for Covid-related reasons. 9 episodes seems like an odd length for a season, generally a show either has a mini-season of 6 episodes or 13 (pre-being picked up for a full season). 

• Love 6

Preacher Lawson, a finalist (comedian) on America's Got Talent, was one of the people in the conference room. I forget if he had a line or not.  Way to go, Preacher!

I liked the story that involved all of the Olivias. I'm going to research how popular that name is, and how it has trended over the years. (Ranked #1 for girls in 2019. In 2005, 16 years ago, it was ranked #5.)

Mikaela looked cute with her hair up. I love her fashion and style.

Did you notice how the cake and all of the balloons were gray instead of pink or blue?

Edited by MoreCoffeePlease
  • Love 3

I think this show is really finding its groove, its becoming more balanced in its wackiness and telling actual stories with wacky but well formed characters. Arpi howling in the board room was so ridiculous it became hilarious, you could see some of that 30 Rock energy really coming out. I also like them working Orly into the workplace more. 

Not to nerd nitpick, but why would someone dressed like Talia and someone dressed like Aquaman hooking up be taboo? Do they think that Aquaman is a Marvel character? If that was the joke, come on writers, that a three second Google on your phones! Or ask an intern, they'll know. 

"Is that a Netflix show about sexy teen suicide?" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

I was just thinking that the show had really started hitting its stride and now it's over.

How could Arpi object to being used after setting Jayden up for the "Throwing of the first ball". Although I'd rather have the groin-cone than another session of Jayden's urchin shtick.

As an alpha bureaucrat, Arpi should be envious of Neil's Machiavellianism. I would like to have seen Orly's reaction to that.

So, is Jayden's ex?fiance going to be back? I feel sorry for the kid.

• Love 5

Arpi was definitely a winner this episode, from pulling that palm tree binder from her bottomless back pack, to insisting on hugging Jayden because it was in the meeting agenda, to employing the homeless with donated axes to hack down the palm trees.

And I got a laugh out of Ed Begley Jr. as the bizarre 4 a.m. talk show host.

This is a really weird number of episodes...was this a mid-season replacement for something?  I wonder if they are thinking of cancelling it.  The first few episodes were shaky, but it's really gotten good toward the end.

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

why would someone dressed like Talia and someone dressed like Aquaman hooking up be taboo?

I think they were going for hero/villain liaison.  Or I guess you could say they were dating behind Batman's back.

• Love 7

This was a good one. I hate thinking how long it will be before we get a season 2 if it gets renewed. If it does get renewed hopefully it will have more episodes in the second season.

I wonder if that's true what Arpi said about why LA has palm trees and why they don't belong there. Interesting.

• Love 6

I still don't like the Holly Hunter character but if the mayor purposefully brought her in to force the committee to compromise, then good for him.

A few nitpiks:

They are palm fronds, not palm branches

The dangerous part of a palm tree that may be falling are

coconuts which can be deadly

LA businesses already contribute to upkeep and maintenance-it's called taxes

LA certainly takes advantage of the images of palm trees as much as anyone else

Not sure if this will be renewed-I really won't miss it if it's not renewed.  I think it had a lot of potential, but seemed to not have a clear footing.  In this episode, they had the mayor show his business smarts which makes more sense to me.  I wish they had this mayor from the becoming instead of the bumbling idiot mayor they started with.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I liked the story that involved all of the Olivias. I'm going to research how popular that name is, and how it has trended over the years. (Ranked #1 for girls in 2019. In 2005, 16 years ago, it was ranked #5.)

Two years ago in the school building where I work, all 6 of the 2nd grade classrooms had an Olivia.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Two years ago in the school building where I work, all 6 of the 2nd grade classrooms had an Olivia.

Lol. A few years ago, with my daughters, it was Lauren, Rachel, and Emily. Meanwhile, in my son’s class, most of them had the same names as my uncles. 

Not including Jayden, of course!

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 1

9 episodes seems like an odd length for a season, generally a show either has a mini-season of 6 episodes or 13 (pre-being picked up for a full season). 

Once in a blue moon a network will order nine then hold out for the back 13. They did that with Glee, for example. I think the strength of the cast might have something to do with it.

I was surprised to see Jennifer Elise Cox in the closing credits. I had to re-watch just to find her. She was sitting at the table during the meeting but barely had one line and was barely shown on screen. Such a tiny part for such a well-known actress. I wonder what happened.

• Love 3