Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good....Eh, Screw It

• Start Topic

A twist of fate forces Ian and Mickey to help the Milkoviches; Frank's day takes some unexpected turns while Liam deals with inner turmoil; Debbie confronts Sandy; Lip plans for the future; while Kev runs the bar, V is class parent at school.

Promo:

Original air date: 2/14/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Oh, Liam. First of all, you should know better than to go to Frank for advice about ANYTHING. Secondly, when Carl said to get rid of the gun, I'm pretty sure he didn't mean just dump it in the basement.

Lip's plan to take advantage of the neighborhood gentrification by selling the house was fine in theory, but considering that the house is paid off which means that they're all living there for free, how does he think that selling the house and then having Lip, Ian, Carl, and Debbie all pay rent at separate places makes sense? There's no way that they can sell that house and have enough money for all four of them to BUY places which means whatever money they made from selling the house would just go to rent. Once each of their shares runs out, they're each going to need to bring in more income than they currently do now. And who would Liam go live with?

And if they really want to take advantage of the local gentrification by selling the house, they should wait until the neighborhood gets REALLY gentrified so they can sell for an insanely inflated price. If they sell now, they'll be kicking themselves in a year or two when the price doubles.

But beyond that, isn't the house still in Fiona's name?

While I understand Mickey's conflicted emotions about his piece of shit father, there is NOTHING that says you ever have to be nice to someone who treats you like garbage. I wouldn't have thought any less of Mickey if he had left his dad out there on the sidewalk. After everything his dad has done to him, Mickey doesn't owe him anything.

Lip and Tami's fight was a good one because it was realistic. She was understandably upset that he'd done something that could get him sent to jail. His "I'll figure something out" response was also annoying because it implied that he would handle the situation on his own rather than it being a joint decision. I understand that Lip is used to having to make decisions on his own since his parents were never around, but if they're going to be a family then he needs to get used to life changing decisions like this being a discussion rather than him coming up with a plan and then just doing it. This is supposed to be a partnership, not a dictatorship.

I still don't care about Debbie and Sandy's relationship. The only good thing about it is that Franny likes her so I hated that Debbie tried to use that to guilt trip Sandy.

• Love 4

So this is where we are with Lip, homeless in a few months, family to feed and no job. He has stolen bikes and tools that he has to fence.

I kept thinking that Lip has something else-a genius IQ. That same IQ that could have him training and completing any courses for any jobs in very little time and making a huge salary.

I am also very tired on hearing how poor they are all the time. Between Carl's police salary, Debbie's fix it salary, Ian and Mickey's security business and Tami hairdressing salary I am thinking that they could afford a bit more than what they have.

I have no idea what they are doing with Carl and I have completely no idea why we spent any time with Terry. If they have run out of ideas maybe go to 30 minute shows the rest of the way.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lip's plan to take advantage of the neighborhood gentrification by selling the house was fine in theory, but considering that the house is paid off which means that they're all living there for free, how does he think that selling the house and then having Lip, Ian, Carl, and Debbie all pay rent at separate places makes sense? There's no way that they can sell that house and have enough money for all four of them to BUY places which means whatever money they made from selling the house would just go to rent. Once each of their shares runs out, they're each going to need to bring in more income than they currently do now. And who would Liam go live with?

And if they really want to take advantage of the local gentrification by selling the house, they should wait until the neighborhood gets REALLY gentrified so they can sell for an insanely inflated price. If they sell now, they'll be kicking themselves in a year or two when the price doubles.

But beyond that, isn't the house still in Fiona's name?

Technically, if everyone (including Fiona) agreed to sell the house and split the proceeds evenly among the six Gallagher kids (with Liam's portion put in trust), each of the adult kids would have enough for a down payment on a smaller house or condo. If the 2-bed, 1-bath house Lip and Tami were living in sold for $300,000 (I think that's what they said last episode), the much larger Gallagher house could sell for $500,000 if Lip fixed it up. So if everyone did the smart thing and reinvested their portion right away, they'd all have a chance to start independent lives with their own homes. But of course we've had ten years of these characters being impulsive and self-destructive, so most of them would squander the money and end up worse off than before.

2 hours ago, juno said:

I have no idea what they are doing with Carl

It looked like the home goods store hussy was trying to get pregnant and trap him.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, juno said:

I kept thinking that Lip has something else-a genius IQ. That same IQ that could have him training and completing any courses for any jobs in very little time and making a huge salary.

He used to be an engineering genius who built laser-wielding robots from stolen parts and could keep up (technically) with Amanda’s father, who was some kind of wealthy inventor. He had way, way beyond the theoretical knowledge *and* the hands-on skills to get an IT job. I know the counterpoint is “but he didn’t have his degree”, but in real life he would have made enough connections in college, including his sketchy internship, to get into some startup or even a regular mid sized company at entry level and shoot right to the top. At which point they don’t care about degrees. The show started out at the tail of the Great Recession, but the economy and tech job market boomed since then.

(Speaking from a lot of personal experience here, both myself and other peers from similar, dysfunctional backgrounds with zero, or unrelated, college degrees.)

There are lots of reasons the show went to shit, but making Lip into a dolt so he could stay living in poverty was the last straw for me. 

• Love 8

While I've always enjoyed his portrayal of Mickey, I feel like Noel Fisher has really stepped up his acting game during this final season. Previously, Mickey never struck me as a character that had many thoughts going on in his head that he didn't immediately blurt out or act upon. But there was SO much internal processing happening in Mickey's eyes in this episode as he silently stared at his paralyzed tormentor/father. Reliving and processing his past and present conflicting emotions, identifying possible reactions, weighing options and making tough choices - all happening silently while Mickey's gaze is fixated on the pathetic creature before him.

Mickey 1.JPG

Kudos to him - I'll definitely be checking out his future acting projects after the show wraps at the end of this season.

Edited by giovannif7
  • Love 22

The show for better and worse has become the Ian and Mickey show.   And I applaud it for not shying away because both Cameron Monaghan and Noel Fisher are fantastic actors but the show has pretty much dropped anything resembling long form stories and continuity with all the other siblings.     

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Debbie is really a shitty mother. And I know she didn't have a good role model but I still can't stand her.

Speaking of Debbie's mother, that woman Frank was sleeping with really did look like Monica. I get the impression we're supposed to feel sorry for Frank because of the dementia. After 11 years of his shenanigans I just can't. The dementia test the nurse gave him did kind of scare me though because when she came back to the three words I could only remember 2 of them!

Also, I'm not feeling it with Mickey and Terry. I've never bought into that whole family first crap or honor thy father crap. If you still love someone who has abused you that's a sickness not a strength. Whatever attachment or loyalty Mickey still feels for Terry is actually sad rather than admirable.

A big no on Carl reporting a sex assault. I'm not in favor of calling this situation an assault. It really blurs the line and diminishes actual sexual assault crimes.

Finally, who would buy the Gallagher house after seeing who's living next door? And as pointed out above, isn't it still in Fiona's name?

• Love 4

Wow, so is this show actually going to take some of its plots kind of seriously again and not play everything for stupid jokes? Wonders abound! Mickey's complicated feelings about Terry being so badly injured are actually really interesting, and its the best material they have given him in ages. He hates Terry and cant be bothered to care that he's stuck in that chair, understandably because Terry is a horrible abusive monster who actually makes Frank look like the better father in comparison, but he is still his father, and that can be hard to deal with. Mickey doesn't owe that piece of shit anything, but hopefully him having the chance to kick Terry while he's down and instead taking the highroad can at least give him some sense of...something or another. 

Its not surprising that Frank is getting dementia, its surprising its taken him this long to start seriously drowning/burning his brain cells out. That women really did look a lot like Monica, for a second I thought this was a flashback. 

I wonder if the show will end with them selling their house, all the kids taking their shares, and then moving on with their lives away and actually start breaking their families never ending cycle of self destruction. Especially now that the show is ending and the writers don't have to find increasingly contrived reasons to keep everyone below the poverty line, even if they really should be moving up by now. Of course, I am not sure who would take Liam, right now raising him is kind of a team effort and Liam is pretty independent anyway. Lip and Tammy I guess? 

That girl was totally trying to baby trap Carl, her asking about his benefits package was very suspect. 

• Love 2
On 2/14/2021 at 12:58 PM, juno said:

If they have run out of ideas maybe go to 30 minute shows the rest of the way.

Speaking of the rest of the way, does anyone know exactly how many more eps there are?  Wiki says that this season is 12 but only lists 10, with this one being #6.

22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It looked like the home goods store hussy was trying to get pregnant and trap him.

That was exactly my take.

12 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

While I've always enjoyed his portrayal of Mickey, I feel like Noel Fisher has really stepped up his acting game during this season.

He was good in Capone (Thomas Hardy movie) as Capone's son, as well.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

A big no on Carl reporting a sex assault. I'm not in favor of calling this situation an assault. It really blurs the line and diminishes actual sexual assault crimes.

Clearly the writers have run out of ideas and fell back on the old Gender Role Reversal Trope™.  Carl's never been the brightest bulb, but this wasn't his first time in the saddle (or being the horse, as the case may be), either.  He should have been able to control the situation, and reporting himself just doesn't seem realistic.

So the dementia that's been teased all season has finally come to pass.  It'll be interesting to see what the Gallaghers do with Frank - no way they'll metaphorically leave him sitting on the sidewalk, not that he doesn't deserve it.  Maybe Letty/Monica will take him in.  He's always managed to punch above his weight class (frequently unrealistically so), and she's no exception.

Edited by Lone Wolf
17 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Clearly the writers have run out of ideas and fell back on the old Gender Role Reversal Trope™. 

Which they've been doing since season one, even when it means statutory rape! 

I don't think it blurs the line for Carl to report what happened to him.   Carl had the right to engage in sex according to what his expectations of what the limits were.

Saying he can't set a limit is saying a woman cannot engage in sex with a partner and decide during the act that she wants to stop because she doesn't like what's happening or has second thoughts.  

• Love 3
On 2/15/2021 at 3:47 AM, giovannif7 said:

While I've always enjoyed his portrayal of Mickey, I feel like Noel Fisher has really stepped up his acting game during this final season. Previously, Mickey never struck me as a character that had many thoughts going on in his head that he didn't immediately blurt out or act upon. But there was SO much internal processing happening in Mickey's eyes in this episode as he silently stared at his paralyzed tormentor/father. Reliving and processing his past and present conflicting emotions, identifying possible reactions, weighing options and making tough choices - all happening silently while Mickey's gaze is fixated on the pathetic creature before him.

Mickey 1.JPG

Kudos to him - I'll definitely be checking out his future acting projects after the show wraps at the end of this season.

So glad you said this and posted the screen shot.  I had the SAME thought as you.  I love Noel Fisher and think he is a fantastic actor.  He acts through his eyes....like you can totally feel his every emotion without his saying a word.  Although I don’t agree that he is just stepping it up this season, he has had moments like this before. I fell in love with him during Ians bi-polar storyline.  When he goes and asks Fiona for help and the scenes where they commit him Noel was outstanding.  Even way back when Terry made him F Svetlana in front of Ian he broke my heart, even though the scene was so vulgar.  I was glad to see this scene Sunday because the last couple seasons he has been more comedic and it was nice to see this side of him again.  

If you havent seen The Hatfields and the McCoys mini series you should check it out.  Noel is fantastic in it.  He was also in a short lived series a couple years ago with Noah Wyle where he played a dirty cop.  Even on the Connors he has some terrific emotional scenes with John Goodman (although it was weird at first seeing him and Debs sitting in Roseannes kitchen!)  I am a total fan girl when it comes to Noel!  I hope he gets a regular series once Shameless is over so I can get my fix!  LOL. 

Edited by Cupcake04
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Gosh, Debbie really is the worst. She wants to have a deep conversation while Sandy is struggling to get Terry into the house. Not the right time Debbie! 

The active shooter drill was....something but I cracked up at the brownie pans being shields

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

The active shooter drill was....something but I cracked up at the brownie pans being shields

I don't know if it is just a Chicago-area thing but when my oldest was in public school, his kindergarten class had an active shooter drill.  They did NOT, however have a child as the shooter!  They did have a police officer dressed as a gorilla (??) come into the classroom to scare the kids.  After Newtown, they realized that kids should run (not hide like on this show) but just keep running out the door so they are not sitting ducks.  I agree with this being a better plan than sitting under the desk, but OMG my son was traumatized by all of this of course.

I was told it is an Illinois law/mandate to have the drills, but my kids are in private school now and they have NOT done this.  Maybe parochial schools are exempt.

16 hours ago, Cupcake04 said:

So glad you said this and posted the screen shot.  I had the SAME thought as you.  I love Noel Fisher and think he is a fantastic actor.  He acts through his eyes....like you can totally feel his every emotion without his saying a word.  Although I don’t agree that he is just stepping it up this season, he has had moments like this before. I fell in love with him during Ians bi-polar storyline.  When he goes and asks Fiona for help and the scenes where they commit him Noel was outstanding.  Even way back when Terry made him F Svetlana in front of Ian he broke my heart, even though the scene was so vulgar.  I was glad to see this scene Sunday because the last couple seasons he has been more comedic and it was nice to see this side of him again.  

If you havent seen The Hatfields and the McCoys mini series you should check it out.  Noel is fantastic in it.  He was also in a short lived series a couple years ago with Noah Wyle where he played a dirty cop.  Even on the Connors he has some terrific emotional scenes with John Goodman (although it was weird at first seeing him and Debs sitting in Roseannes kitchen!)  I am a total fan girl when it comes to Noel!  I hope he gets a regular series once Shameless is over so I can get my fix!  LOL. 

I did not pick up initially on Noel being the actor portraying both Mickey and Cottontop until seeing a commercial very recently for Hatfields and McCoys that showed him.   My initial thought was, oh, that was a really well done series and that actor was awesome -- then it occurred to me he looked familiar.   Took me forever to put it together who he was.    He has the potential to have a major career with longevity.

20 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't know if it is just a Chicago-area thing but when my oldest was in public school, his kindergarten class had an active shooter drill.  They did NOT, however have a child as the shooter!  They did have a police officer dressed as a gorilla (??) come into the classroom to scare the kids.  After Newtown, they realized that kids should run (not hide like on this show) but just keep running out the door so they are not sitting ducks.  I agree with this being a better plan than sitting under the desk, but OMG my son was traumatized by all of this of course.

I was told it is an Illinois law/mandate to have the drills, but my kids are in private school now and they have NOT done this.  Maybe parochial schools are exempt.

A gorilla? WTF?! Idiotic, besides perpetrating a myth that gorilla are violent. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, CarpeFelis said:

Guessing “guerrilla” was the intention. 

It was a gorilla suit, like from party city.

I *think* they figured a guy dressed as a gorilla would be less scary than a man in a t-shirt and jeans would be barging into the classroom yelling that he will shoot them??  The school said that the kids needed to go through the drill, but I said that fire drills are done without an actual FIRE!

I am trying to figure out the endgame with this show.  I am not loving any of the storylines right now.  In the beginning seasons, the Gallaghers were bad people, but I still liked them and rooted for them.  I am not rooting for any of them now.  I miss Fiona.

• Love 1
On 2/18/2021 at 2:53 PM, heatherchandler said:

It was a gorilla suit, like from party city.

I *think* they figured a guy dressed as a gorilla would be less scary than a man in a t-shirt and jeans would be barging into the classroom yelling that he will shoot them??

That is so hilariously twisted they should have done it on this show!