Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Name That Toon

• Start Topic

Jason's reminded me of the blind rat with the walking cane from Shrek (?). Kat did colour her vacuum before presentation, didn't she? It was creative, but is wasn't my favourite. Wasn't there some vacuum cleaner character on the Teletubbies? Shame about the crack in Nao's.

Elliot's was really snazzy. Brad's was suggestive an impactful. I liked them both.

Mike was able to get a good face and upper body, but everything from the waist down was a bit of a letdown.

Chris tried to be smartest person in the room and completely missed the brief. He was very lucky. The quality of his construction saved him but I hate when the judges have to make decisions like that. iirc there was a similar situation last year during the flower challenge where they had one boring but well executed piece vs. something really creative with flawed execution (might even have been from the dude who guest judged during the first episode of series 2).

Anyway, should I be worried that I am almost halfway through the show mere hours after the episodes were released? 😅

• Love 6

This was absolute bull shit. Chris did not fulfill the requirements of the challenge, TO CREATE A CARTOON CHARACTER. I don't care if you think you're too good to make something with googly eyes. A fucking cup full of pencils is not a cartoon character. He should have been eliminated for not doing what was asked for this challenge.

• Applause 1
  • Love 21

I thought this was a fun challenge! A cartoon character covers a wide range of possibilities (they don't all have to have googly eyes, CHRIS) so I was excited to see what they created.

Jason's post apocalyptic rat walking a cockroach made me laugh. When the judges said they didn't get it, I felt like they were saying that just so they had an excuse not to eliminate Chris whose colored pencils clearly should have been cause for kicking his pretentious ass off.

Nao's yellow cartoon character was cute and I loved the concept of her cup filling up with other people's generosity and the flower blooming. I felt bad when the face cracked.

Mike's cartoon character was fine from the shoulder up. There was a lot of detail in the face and I liked the "I love you" in ASL. But from the shoulder down, there was not a whole lot going on. Like in the first challenge, I think his color choices also let him down.

Brad's creature was SO cute but also creepy. I loved the yellow eyes peeking out from under the purple, and the orange fingers were great.

Elliott's black and white striped telescope character was fun and he had some nice details, but not my favorite.

Cat's vacuum cleaner had so much personality and motion!

Chris can blow his stupid explanation out his ass. "I like to challenge conventions." Translation: I didn't want to do this challenge so I just made whatever the fuck I wanted.

My favorite thing about Andi's piece was the giant thought bubble floating over her little blue and purple character's head. It was perfectly cartoony.

I loved Jason's attitude. He seemed so open to learning even though he clearly already knows a lot about glassblowing. It is a travesty that he was eliminated instead of Chris. I'm LIVID that they judges kept a contestant who thought he was too good to actually fulfill the most basic criteria of the challenge.

• Applause 1
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Michichick said:

That elimination was pure bullshit. The brief was to make a cartoon character. Chris didn’t do that and should have been eliminated. I don’t care how well-constructed his pencils were. He didn’t accomplish the challenge. And he sounded so pretentious.

AGREE! Oh thank goodness, I came over here strictly to say this! They treated Chris with kid gloves, he should have been gone. Jason was my early favorite and he did not deserve his elimination. Grrrrrrrr!

• Applause 1
  • Love 15

I don't mind a brief stretch but a complete brief ignore makes me mad.  Yeah, maybe Jason wasn't as a accomplished as others but I loved his personality and at least he respected the competition.   When a contestant clearly doesn't want to do a challenge, eliminate him.  

He did his pretty piece and got to show it off but buh bye.

Only positive about the ep is that Cat won.

• Love 12

Do it like on Forged in Fire. If you miss the requirements by an 1/8 of an inch you are automatically eliminated even if it is the best blade there. Ignoring the entire challenge and being kept makes the show lose all credibility. It is quite obvious that they want to keep the more accomplished people no matter what. 

• Love 16
19 hours ago, Michichick said:

That elimination was pure bullshit. The brief was to make a cartoon character. Chris didn’t do that and should have been eliminated. I don’t care how well-constructed his pencils were. He didn’t accomplish the challenge. And he sounded so pretentious.

Absolutely agree! I was furious that Jason was eliminated when Chris openly scoffed the entire concept of the round and didn't even TRY to fulfill the requirements. Can't stand him.

• Applause 1
  • Love 7

This episode made me stop watching and go to bed.  I was mad that Jason got sent home.  I don't think he was the most technically proficient of the lot, but I liked his personality.  The creepy imp was my favorite.  It was just so creepy and the eyes were fabulous.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
On 1/22/2021 at 8:28 PM, Michichick said:

22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This was absolute bull shit. Chris did not fulfill the requirements of the challenge, TO CREATE A CARTOON CHARACTER. I don't care if you think you're too good to make something with googly eyes. A fucking cup full of pencils is not a cartoon character. He should have been eliminated for not doing what was asked for this challenge.

17 hours ago, Michichick said:

I’m still mad about Jason being eliminated instead of Chris, even after a good night’s sleep. If Chris ends up going much further, I’ll be furious. 

15 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

AGREE! Oh thank goodness, I came over here strictly to say this! They treated Chris with kid gloves, he should have been gone. Jason was my early favorite and he did not deserve his elimination. Grrrrrrrr!

8 hours ago, Starry-Eyed said:

Absolutely agree! I was furious that Jason was eliminated when Chris openly scoffed the entire concept of the round and didn't even TRY to fulfill the requirements. Can't stand him.

I absolutely agree with all of you, Chris should have been eliminated. It's total crap that he can completely ignore the challenge requirement & someone else who didn't ignore it gets eliminated. Makes me think Chris is the chosen one &that pisses me off.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I teach English.  When a student doesn't meet the basic requirements for an essay, no matter how skillfully written the prose is, the essay will fail.  Simple.  It was also not just that he didn't follow the most basic parameter.  He also had such disdain for the entire comic genre which ticked me off.  

Let me also add how much I loved Cat's vacuum cleaner.  

• Love 8

Chris referring himself in the third person is so Chris Taylor. He failed the challenge and they give him a pass because apparently he has made a name for himself and there are connections going on that keep him around. Total bias. 
I hope he doesn’t win the season. I can never root for the cocky one unless they are exceptionally impressive and have a reason to be. 
I loved Kat’s and Elliott’s the best. The Jen-erosity piece was cute but did have a crack in it. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

The only reason I think that they kept Chris is that he is clearly the villain of this show. Kept for dramatic purposes. I much prefer my reality shows to have people focused on the competitions that are also decent human beings. I do not think he will go all the way but he will stick around past the halfway point, unfortunately. I have just seen this too many times on other competitive reality shows.

• Love 5

Glass pencils. For a cartoon challenge. And that obnoxious asshat didn’t get booted?!? Does he have photos of the judges with farm animals? I don’t freaking get why Chris is still there. 

I loved the first season, but this one? I’m hate watching.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/6/2021 at 9:24 PM, Chanele said:

Can anyone tell me what was the name of Elliots telescope toon in this episode?

I think it was something like “Mr. Notetaker.” Like someone who always watching what everyone else is doing. 

I just started this show and I’m ready for Chris to be gone.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This show needs to watch some of the absolutely wonderful UK artisan competition programs (Bake off, Sewing Bee, Pottery Throw Down) and realize that these shows DO NOT need a villain. It is so much more pleasant to just enjoy the diversity of people and their amazing talent. It is still plenty exciting because we all find our favorites and some underdogs to root for.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Three years late to the party, but I just discovered this show last week - and I think I'm done with it already. I gave up on season 1 partway through, after learning that Deborah won (because I just couldn't with her) and now after watching this molten hot pile of bullshit, I don't think I'll waste any more time on this show. Sending Jason home even though he attempted to meet the challenge requirements, and keeping Chris who openly defied the challenge because he didn't want to do it? No. Just no. This show isn't worth my time or the spike in my blood pressure it's apparently going to trigger.

Too bad, because there are a couple of people here like Kat and Nao whom I've really enjoyed. I want to watch cool, talented people make cool, amazing things - I don't want to watch egotistical snobs thumbs their noses at challenges they decide are beneath them and get rewarded for it! If I want to watch glassblowers make cool things, I bet there are countless Youtube videos that are all bullshit free.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments here, though! 🙂

• Like 2