Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E10: Slice of Sauce; Love is a Project; Luna Magic; Bubbly Blaster

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

A husband and wife from Los Angeles, California, "slice up" a new way to eat your favorite flavor-packed condiment with their twist on traditional sauces. A mother-and-daughter team from San Francisco, California, asks the Sharks to help spread global love with their artisan-made designs. Sisters from Los Angeles, California, pitch the Sharks their vibrant beauty and lifestyle brand that celebrates their love for their multicultural heritage.

Slice of Sauce-Expensive, but convenient.     Alex Rodriguez will be a great partner for them (ne beat out Mark, and Mr. Wonderful).   However, if the condiment sheets are chewy, then I'm out. 

Love is a Project-I loved the mother and daughter, especially the mother, but I think the Sharks were right not to give them a deal.    THey'll do fine on their own.

Luna Magic-Beauty and lifestyle company.   Barbara will be a great partner for them, because she's a great organizer, and the sisters need organization.

Bubbly Blaster-Turns any champagne bottle neat, and controls the flow, and you can shoot champagne.   Kevin as usual, is a bad influence on the others.   Mark and Alex R. together do the deal. (And Mark and Alex shoot champagne at each other). 

Daniel Lubetsky is the guest Shark next week.   I like him.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

The slices of sauce just look and sound so gross!  All I can think of is the texture being like a fruit roll up....chewy ketchup?? NO thank you.  I get squicked out when there are dried remnants of ketchup or mustard around the cap. Blurgh🤮

The bracelets and the makeup seem like such over crowded spaces.  I can think of 5-7 “bracelets with a mission” companies. And multiple that by 100 for the makeup business!  

The champagne shooter was fun, I guess?  But I like drinking champagne, so it always looks like such a waste of good bubbly when teams spray dozens of bottles all over the place in celebration.  Plus, I feel really bad for the person who has to clean it all up later. 

• Love 13

I personally don't think I want a condiment layer the same thickness as my meat slices. But it's a pretty cool idea as far as convenience and shelf stability. Liked the mother and daughter but this is why I don't buy retail most of the time. $2-$3 to produce and sold at $15-$30? Hell no. And the women they are supposed to be supporting only get the $2, not a percentage of the markup. Not surprised they didn't get a deal, but will probably get a boost in sales from their appearance.

Had to laugh at the last guy just tossing off, yeah I know some guys at Space X. And his partner who looks like he's on steroids with his MBA.

• Love 2

Like the bubbly blaster even if it's expensive.  For big parties and celebrations I can see it being popular. 

Condiment slices I agree sounds gross plus they are overpriced but it does provide some convenience.  You can't spread it or use it on fries very easily though.  They seemed to be mixing up their markets and plan too. At one point they said they see it as more upscale and then they also wanted it in stadiums.  It's way too expensive for stadium use.  If they could combine it into a cheese slices, then you'd have something I think.  

Love bracelets, didn't like them and agreed with the sharks seems more of a charity than business.  There seems to be dozens of such bracelets on the market that are probably cheaper and the Love message is so bland and generic.  Not enough to get me to buy an overpriced bracelet

I know nothing about make up but those two may be on to something.  I agreed with me wonderful though seems like a way too small company that somehow got into Walmart and from what I've heard of walmart and how they operate they are going to be chewed up and spit out by them.   Sounds like they gave walmart a cheap deal for the exposure thinking they'd raise their prices later once they are known but walmart won't go for that.  They'll keep pushing for the cheapest price possible and crush their margins if that's their main seller.  They'd probably be better off without them

• Love 3

Ketchup slices sound and looked disgusting. 🤮 Just want I want on my burger, a layer of hard chewy ketchup!  If a hard piece falls off the top of the bottle that is gross enough, but a whole slice of it? Yuck!! I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve never found ketchup all that difficult to use. 🙄 A bottle has a longer shelf life, is cheaper, and can be used for more burgers. I really don’t see what purpose this has at all. It seemed like a “solution” to a problem that doesn’t exist.

I cannot get at all interested in companies that are just one more random product in a space with hundreds of others. Yet another eyeshadow line. *yawn* Another jewelry-with-a-mission product. *snore* At least the champagne product was something different!

• Love 3

I thought a lot of their answers were idiotic. They're a premium product on purpose - but they think they're going to get stadium deals? No, the places that want to do bulk at events want whatever's cheapest. That's before even getting to the part where the point of condiments on burgers/hot dogs/sandwiches are not limited only to taste but also texture. If it's not a sauce anymore it's lost half its purpose.

• Love 6
On 1/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, Cotypubby said:

Ketchup slices sound and looked disgusting. 🤮 Just want I want on my burger, a layer of hard chewy ketchup!  If a hard piece falls off the top of the bottle that is gross enough, but a whole slice of it? Yuck!! I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve never found ketchup all that difficult to use. 🙄 A bottle has a longer shelf life, is cheaper, and can be used for more burgers. I really don’t see what purpose this has at all. It seemed like a “solution” to a problem that doesn’t exist.

My thoughts exactly. Have we really gotten so lazy that we can't spread a layer of ketchup on a bun? Then you still need liquid ketchup for the fries, so what is the point in having both available? It was a non-solution to a non-problem.

• Love 8
On 1/15/2021 at 7:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Luna Magic-Beauty and lifestyle company.   Barbara will be a great partner for them, because she's a great organizer, and the sisters need organization.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understood the deal: They got a $250,000 loan that they will have to pay back regardless as to whether or not the business succeeds, and they gave Barbara 30% of the equity. Doesn't that mean that their income, whether or not it is profit, goes to Barbara to repay the line of credit plus she gets an additional 30% of whatever is left after the loan payment? That sounds to me as though Barbara gets income from them without ever really putting any capital into the business. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Going after a niche market in an already overcrowded space is probably not going to generate much in the way of real income for them, anyway.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2021 at 7:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Bubbly Blaster-Turns any champagne bottle neat, and controls the flow, and you can shoot champagne.   Kevin as usual, is a bad influence on the others.   Mark and Alex R. together do the deal. (And Mark and Alex shoot champagne at each other). 

This is really the first Snark Tank worthy product we have seen in a long time. It was truly unique, and they had a reasonable valuation for it. I don't drink champagne, so I won't be a customer. However, for once, I think the original premise of the show got fulfilled with this deal.

• Love 5
On 1/16/2021 at 7:19 PM, theatremouse said:

I thought a lot of their answers were idiotic. They're a premium product on purpose - but they think they're going to get stadium deals? No, the places that want to do bulk at events want whatever's cheapest. That's before even getting to the part where the point of condiments on burgers/hot dogs/sandwiches are not limited only to taste but also texture. If it's not a sauce anymore it's lost half its purpose.

It was all idiotic. She came up with $1.8 million in projected sales for this year when she has yet to even sell a single slice. It's not going to fly off the shelves the way she believes it will, probably (among other reasons) because she won't be able to get it on the shelves to begin with.

The thing about traditional condiments is that I can control how much of what I put on my sandwich, burger, etc.  The sauce slice people are determining the amounts/types of each condiment and I don't think they will be able to combine them to the point of mass appeal.  Also, I agree with others about the texture issues.

How many bracelets have we seen over the years on the show?  I cringed when the daughter said the bracelets and message would remind us to love others.  Really?  We won't love others unless we read it on our bracelets?  Way too much debt on the company.

I don't understand why champagne is sprayed around as a form of celebration.  When I celebrate with champagne I like to...drink it... I know!  

• Love 6

I remember seeing the military women's jewelry (veteran women designed not very interesting jewelry years ago) marked down at Target like a year after they had been on the show. The jewelry market is absolutely flooded at all price points.

I have seen so many different kinds of bracelets-for-a-cause advertised on Instagram alone, and for way less than what the Love bracelet women were charging. I get the reason for their cost, but they aren't unique or solving a problem.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The only advantage of the sliced ketchup is if you're eating in the car, don't have to worry about it dripping all over. Less messy. 

But generally I agree is useless and pointless. 

You can't seriously be thinking about eating a burger with fries, can you?

But wait . . . Shark Tank has already solved that problem for you!  A couple years ago, there was a deal for a condiment holder that affixed to your dashboard in order to hold your dippin' sauces.  So, both problems with your condiments are now solved, courtesy of Shark Tank deals!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 1/18/2021 at 12:58 PM, eel21788 said:

My thoughts exactly. Have we really gotten so lazy that we can't spread a layer of ketchup on a bun? Then you still need liquid ketchup for the fries, so what is the point in having both available? It was a non-solution to a non-problem.

It made more sense for sauces other than ketchup, things people wouldn't have in their houses. Maybe pesto or something like that? But people wouldn't be eating things like that away from their kitchens, so it is really just silly.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It made more sense for sauces other than ketchup, things people wouldn't have in their houses. Maybe pesto or something like that? But people wouldn't be eating things like that away from their kitchens, so it is really just silly.

Agreed. The entrepreneurs claimed that it was good for situations when you don’t have refrigeration (like camping) but aren’t you putting the “slice” on something that would need to be refrigerated anyway? It’s one of those ideas that should have been dismissed after the entrepreneurs thought about it for more than 5 minutes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, marny said:

The entrepreneurs claimed that it was good for situations when you don’t have refrigeration (like camping) but aren’t you putting the “slice” on something that would need to be refrigerated anyway

Also, ketchup doesn't have to be refrigerated. So I didn't get why they thought that was a problem that needed to be solved either.

• Love 3
On 1/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, basiltherat said:

But wait . . . Shark Tank has already solved that problem for you!  A couple years ago, there was a deal for a condiment holder that affixed to your dashboard in order to hold your dippin' sauces.  So, both problems with your condiments are now solved, courtesy of Shark Tank deals!

So, I still need two sources of ketchup for both the burger and the fries, and I still have clean-up to do from the ketchup for the fries? That doesn't solve anything.

• Love 1
On 1/21/2021 at 10:22 PM, theatremouse said:

Most of the ketchup I've encountered says refrigerate after opening, so I don't have an issue with the mention of refrigeration for the sauce. However I agree that anything you'd be likely to put the sauce ON likely was refrigerated.

Back when going to restaurants was a things, you’d often see bottles of ketchup sitting out on the tables from morning til night.