Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three: Speculation for The Mandalorian

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, magdalene said:

At what point does she get into slander territory?

I'm thinking maybe that's why she deleted the tweet. Making broad accusations about someone, especially during this time, can be super detrimental, even if they're baseless. She's blocked pretty much every Pedro fan I've seen. If you won't drink her kool-aid, she doesn't want to hear from you.

Getting back to the show, Cara said the New Republic will pay twice as much for Gideon if they bring him in alive. Dr. Pershing was also wanted. Hopefully the reward money is enough for Din to buy a new ship! And hopefully it has better sleeping quarters than The Razorcrest did.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Getting back to the show, Cara said the New Republic will pay twice as much for Gideon if they bring him in alive. Dr. Pershing was also wanted. Hopefully the reward money is enough for Din to buy a new ship! And hopefully it has better sleeping quarters than The Razorcrest did.

Great point!  He definitely needs a new ship...  I hope he builds a new one to look just like the Razorcrest.  Razorcrest II.  

I originally was thinking he'd end up with Boba's somehow, but I guess Boba gets to keep his for his show.  Does Bo Katan even have a ship, or does she just use whatever she's stolen from someone the day before?

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Great point!  He definitely needs a new ship...  I hope he builds a new one to look just like the Razorcrest.  Razorcrest II.  

I originally was thinking he'd end up with Boba's somehow, but I guess Boba gets to keep his for his show.  Does Bo Katan even have a ship, or does she just use whatever she's stolen from someone the day before?

She has a ship, it's the one that Slave 1 lands next to, with the wings pointing upwards. I believe those are Mandalorian fighter ships.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm hearing that Season 3 has been removed from Disney's release schedule for 2021, so it looks like it'll be premiering in 2022. It's not really a surprise to me, since they haven't even started filming yet. The filming of Pedro's movie was delayed because of Covid, so Mando wasn't able to start filming in December like Jon originally said it would. On GMA, Jon said Season 3 will be released "soon" after The Book of Boba Fett, so hopefully that means early 2022.

19 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

I'm hearing that Season 3 has been removed from Disney's release schedule for 2021, so it looks like it'll be premiering in 2022. It's not really a surprise to me, since they haven't even started filming yet. The filming of Pedro's movie was delayed because of Covid, so Mando wasn't able to start filming in December like Jon originally said it would. On GMA, Jon said Season 3 will be released "soon" after The Book of Boba Fett, so hopefully that means early 2022.

It was never on the 2021 schedule. The announcement was the the next chapter was coming December 2021 and Jon confirmed on GMA that she was talking about The Book of Boba Fett. I’m not getting my hopes up for early 2022 because Disney may stick one of the other new shows in between. There’s too many shows being released to guess what is going to happen. They have to make room for 12 Marvel shows and 11 Star Wars shows. I’m not expecting there to be much overlap. 

50 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

I watched that whole GMA segment and I thought Favreau said that Mando 3 was in pre-production now and would start filming "pretty soon" after the Boba show finished filming.  I have kind of resigned myself to not expect Mando 3 before late in 2022, that way I will be pleasantly surprised if it is an earlier release date.

1 hour ago, Dani said:

It was never on the 2021 schedule.

Some people on reddit made it sound like there was a previous schedule created by Disney that had "season 3" in December, but the updated scheduled released yesterday didn't list it. Maybe I misunderstood.

48 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I watched that whole GMA segment and I thought Favreau said that Mando 3 was in pre-production now and would start filming "pretty soon" after the Boba show finished filming.  I have kind of resigned myself to not expect Mando 3 before late in 2022, that way I will be pleasantly surprised if it is an earlier release date.

Jon kinda minced his words a few times in that interview, so a lot of people think he meant it will start filming after BoBF finishes filming, not after it premieres. If it's already been in pre-production for a while, waiting more than a year to start filming seems weird. But who knows. They have so many other shows planned, they can't work on them all at once. But Jon also said they were waiting for Pedro to finish filming his movie, and would start right after when he became available, so I don't think he would have said that, unless the plans changed drastically.

Sorry, I tried to bring some clarity to the release date  but I guess it's all up in the air still!

Right now, The Mandalorian is their cash cow, and they know that.  I don't think they will wait nearly 2 years for Season 3, so my guess is early 2022.  These other shows will probably be successful as well, but there's sure to be a stinker among them.  Disney knows they need to give the people what they want, with only enough down time to make it suspenseful, not so much to cause a riot. 😉  

• Love 6

So maybe I misunderstood the whole point and purpose of the Disney Investor Day...  I thought they were announcing what is upcoming in the next year, 2021.  Did they just make announcements about anything, and it could be happening at any time in the future?  So we actually just don't know?  That's... misleading.  Unless it was actually said somewhere and wasn't reported, then that's misleading.  I guess I come to that conclusion because they announced known projects - WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, etc.  These we've known about, so I thought they were announcing definite release dates, plus the other projects that we didn't know about yet.  Are all of these other things still that far off??  Ugh.

29 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

So maybe I misunderstood the whole point and purpose of the Disney Investor Day...  I thought they were announcing what is upcoming in the next year, 2021.  Did they just make announcements about anything, and it could be happening at any time in the future?  So we actually just don't know?  That's... misleading.  Unless it was actually said somewhere and wasn't reported, then that's misleading.  I guess I come to that conclusion because they announced known projects - WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, etc.  These we've known about, so I thought they were announcing definite release dates, plus the other projects that we didn't know about yet.  Are all of these other things still that far off??  Ugh.

They were announcing both the release dates of projects already in the can and projects that have been given the greenlight to proceed but have not yet been filmed. So the information presented reflected not just next year's programming but also what is planned into the future beyond that. So yes, some of the projects announced are further off and are unlikely to air in 2021, especially given potential covid-related delays, which have of course unavoidably pushed back a great many productions already.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

But Jon also said they were waiting for Pedro to finish filming his movie, and would start right after when he became available, so I don't think he would have said that, unless the plans changed drastically.

Unless every scene with Din is going to be helmetless, Pedro being available on set is irrelevant. Likely that Favreau is lowering expectations.

53 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

So maybe I misunderstood the whole point and purpose of the Disney Investor Day...  I thought they were announcing what is upcoming in the next year, 2021

It wasn't just for 2021, it's not Upfronts. Investor Day was like Marvel releasing their Phase 3 lineup back in the day. They gave 3 years worth of movies.

With Disney+ they don't seem to overload, WandaVision waited for The Mandalorian to end. We also have Loki and Falcon and Winter Solider coming up in 2021.

I think they gave The Mandalorian S3 slot (Fall 2021) to Boba Fett and Mandalorian S3 will get puhed to Spring/Summer 2022.

Now, why they can't release Marvel and Star Wars at the same time I have no idea. Maybe it's just because they are so new and, don't have too many shows?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Now, why they can't release Marvel and Star Wars at the same time I have no idea. Maybe it's just because they are so new and, don't have too many shows?

I think that they are going to have to overlap.  Once all of these shows get off the ground, and assuming that they all get multiple seasons because they are successful, they are going to have to release about one per month.  That means whatever else is still airing.  Episodes 1-4 can overlap with episodes 5-8, or whatever.  To not do that would be ridiculous, IMO.  They'll have too much content to continue to delay.

• Love 1
On 12/21/2020 at 5:51 PM, Sakura12 said:

Everyone else including Disney is saying Pedro is in S3. 

For what it's worth, Pedro Pascal's IMDB page lists him Mandalorian S3.1, S3.2, S3.3 -- so I think they've started filming Season 3 already. I'm sure in another month or so we'll see S3.4, maybe even S3.5 listed in his credits.

IMDb is fan updated so I wouldn't go by it this early. However, I don't doubt he'll be back, they just setup the S3 storyline for Din. Which, seems to center on The Dark Saber and Bo-Katan. I'm guessing we'll get more world building, maybe a conflict between The Watch and Night Owls? 

12 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Some people on reddit made it sound like there was a previous schedule created by Disney that had "season 3" in December, but the updated scheduled released yesterday didn't list it. Maybe I misunderstood.

No, most news sites misunderstood the announcement and assumed the “next chapter” was season 3. 

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Based on what they announced it was projects through 2023 but that doesn’t mean they won’t add more. Disney+ really doesn’t do definite dates until shows become close to airing. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That’s exactly why. They are trying to avoid churn by keeping a steady release schedule of the big shows now that they finally have high profile content releasing. 2021 will primarily be about Marvel for Disney+. 

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think that they are going to have to overlap.  Once all of these shows get off the ground, and assuming that they all get multiple seasons because they are successful, they are going to have to release about one per month.  That means whatever else is still airing.  Episodes 1-4 can overlap with episodes 5-8, or whatever.  To not do that would be ridiculous, IMO.  They'll have too much content to continue to delay.

A lot of the high profile series are not going to have multiple seasons. 

42 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Boba and Ahsoka are limited series, so only one season. 

Neither of those have been announced as limited series. Boba was rumored to be but hasn’t been confirmed. It is highly unlikely that Ahsoka will be limited since it The Mandalorian and the New Republic series are supposed to build to one conclusion. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Andor and a few of the Marvel shows are supposed to limited series. 

9 minutes ago, kimaken said:

For what it's worth, Pedro Pascal's IMDB page lists him Mandalorian S3.1, S3.2, S3.3 -- so I think they've started filming Season 3 already. I'm sure in another month or so we'll see S3.4, maybe even S3.5 listed in his credits.

IMDB is fan updated. They’re not filming yet.  Pedro has been filming his movie with Nicholas Cage in Europe. 

18 minutes ago, Dani said:

IMDB is fan updated. They’re not filming yet.  Pedro has been filming his movie with Nicholas Cage in Europe.

Oh Okay--just seemed random to list any of S3 as yet, and the first time I checked his IMDB page, only the first 2 eps were listed. I guess fans are supposing episodes are already filming when they probably haven't even started.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

She has a ship, it's the one that Slave 1 lands next to, with the wings pointing upwards. I believe those are Mandalorian fighter ships.

I’d love it if Mando’s next ship was a Mandalorian Gauntlet. It’s one of my favorites.  Hopefully we’ll see some flying next season.  
image.thumb.png.36918a56162a5602c014e1b9a1ab3b78.png

Right after seeing the S2 finale, I had read the episode thread here, where it seemed like the majority of posters were quite confident that Grogu would return in S3 as a principal character and that this was just a season ending cliffhanger to ship him off.

Since reading that thread, I’ve listened to and read reactions from some podcasts, YouTube channels and websites over the past week or so, and to me, it seems like many see the S2 finale as complete closure to Grogu’s storyline, are fine if we don’t see him at all in S3, and/ or think if he does appear, it would be in just an episode or two when Din crosses paths with him. There seem to be a lot of people who view Grogu’s delivery to Luke as ultimate closure and are just excited to delve into the lore of the fight for the Mandalorian throne.

One podcaster that I listened to thought that the showrunners maybe now felt free to tell the story that they really always wanted to tell, having gotten unshackled from the cuteness of Grogu, which seems like a bad take to me, given that the showrunners conceived of the character of Grogu themselves (he wasn’t foisted on them), and drew inspiration for the show itself from that Lone Wolf and Cub samurai story.  I hope it’s not the case that they are ready to ditch Grogu.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Right after seeing the S2 finale, I had read the episode thread here, where it seemed like the majority of posters were quite confident that Grogu would return in S3 as a principal character and that this was just a season ending cliffhanger to ship him off.

Since reading that thread, I’ve listened to and read reactions from some podcasts, YouTube channels and websites over the past week or so, and to me, it seems like many see the S2 finale as complete closure to Grogu’s storyline, are fine if we don’t see him at all in S3, and/ or think if he does appear, it would be in just an episode or two when Din crosses paths with him. There seem to be a lot of people who view Grogu’s delivery to Luke as ultimate closure and are just excited to delve into the lore of the fight for the Mandalorian throne.

One podcaster that I listened to thought that the showrunners maybe now felt free to tell the story that they really always wanted to tell, having gotten unshackled from the cuteness of Grogu, which seems like a bad take to me, given that the showrunners conceived of the character of Grogu themselves (he wasn’t foisted on them), and drew inspiration for the show itself from that Lone Wolf and Cub samurai story.  I hope it’s not the case that they are ready to ditch Grogu.

There are many Star Wars fans who absolutely believe the the most recent trilogy is going to be decanonized. Diehard fans are where you will find the most unrealistic theories.  To me the idea that Grogu will be gone for good is absurd because he is still a major part of Din’s motivation. He literally broke his most sacred oath for that kid. It’s completely unrealistic to think the last episode severed that bond or was closure on that relationship. Besides that Filoni clearly has a big role in the direction and he is not someone to shelve a character.

Edited by Guest

I know zip about Star Wars canon/fandom.

But many, like me, were intrigued by the show BECAUSE OF Grogu. And considering it is one of the BEST sellers this year, I have serious doubts that Disney would just let him fade away, rabid fandom notwithstanding.

But we'll see.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

There is definitely a section of the fandom that never wanted single dad Din and his little green baby son as the show to begin with. They wanted the cold blooded and ruthless bounty hunter show they thought they were watching before Mando and the audience first lay eyes on Baby Yoda at the end of the first episode.  So yes there are fans who probably were going, "Hurrah! Finally we are rid of that annoying baby who hogs all the attention!" at the end of this last episode.  I guess it's up to Disney to decide who makes them more money -  fan boys who live in their parents basement and pirate the show - or people like me:  I subscribe to Disney+ mainly for Baby Yoda and have dropped quite a bit of my disposable income this year on Baby Yoda merch.  

Also,  Disney+ is a family channel for family audiences and little Grogu is a very family friendly character.

Lastly I choose to put a bit of faith in Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau who are both smart men and who have said that the premise of Mandalorian is Lone Wolf and Cub and that some of the inspiration for the Din/Grogu relationship comes from the movie Paper Moon -  that's a movie about a ruthless con man who takes in his young daughter after the child's mother dies.  The two travel together and have many adventures until the con man decides to do the "right thing" and leaves the girl with her aunt.   But guess what -  that is not the end of the movie, the girl decides to rejoin the con man because she misses him and their life together.

So I am hoping Grogu being with Luke is a temporary bump on the road this show is on.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I guess it's up to Disney to decide who makes them more money -  fan boys who live in their parents basement and pirate the show - or people like me:  I subscribe to Disney+ mainly for Baby Yoda and have dropped quite a bit of my disposable income this year on Baby Yoda merch.  

Seriously? Disney makes far more money from die hard fans than from fans of one show. Those fan boys are the people who see the movies repeatedly, who buy collectibles, who pass it on to their children, who travel to theme parks to immerse themselves in Star Wars, who spend a couple hundred dollars to build their own lightsaber and, yes, who paid for Disney+ since day 1 to watch the whole Star Wars Saga. They are the ones who will keep Disney+ for the 11 different series airing. Fortunately, most of the fanboys also love Grogu.

People who want the show to focus exclusively on Din and Grogu are likely to be disappointed and people who want Grogu gone are likely to be disappointed. Lucas Films is going to try and appeal to both groups. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

Seriously? Disney makes far more money from die hard fans than from fans of one show. Those fan boys are the people who see the movies repeatedly, who buy collectibles, who pass it on to their children, who travel to theme parks to immerse themselves in Star Wars, who spend a couple hundred dollars to build their own lightsaber and, yes, who paid for Disney+ since day 1 to watch the whole Star Wars Saga. They are the ones who will keep Disney+ for the 11 different series airing. Fortunately, most of the fanboys also love Grogu.

People who want the show to focus exclusively on Din and Grogu are likely to be disappointed and people who want Grogu gone are likely to be disappointed. Lucas Films is going to try and appeal to both groups. 

https://www.comicsbeat.com/baby-yoda-toys-new-hope-star-wars/

Star Wars merch sales were declining for years before Baby Yoda.  This is just one example of an article on the subject.  You can google plenty more.

And right now, things sadly being what they are,  Mandalorian has been a rare bright spot for Disney.  Where I live there are no Disney cruises and no theme parks open. And no movie theaters open for any Disney movie to screen.  We have been in lock down here in my state since March and we will continue to be in lock-down until most of our populace is vaccinated.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, magdalene said:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/baby-yoda-toys-new-hope-star-wars/

Star Wars merch sales were declining for years before Baby Yoda.  This is just one example of an article on the subject.  You can google plenty more.

And right now, things sadly being what they are,  Mandalorian has been a rare bright spot for Disney.  Where I live there are no Disney cruises and no theme parks open. And no movie theaters open for any Disney movie to screen.  We have been in lock down here in my state since March and we will continue to be in lock-down until most of our populace is vaccinated.

I’m not sure what your point is? I didn’t say Baby Yoda wasn’t very good for Disney. A large part of the reason it has been good is because he appeals to the fan base you dismissed “fan boys who live in their parents basement and pirate the show”. Star Wars has existed for 43 years because of that fan base. If Star Wars fans didn’t spend money it never would have reached the point where The Mandalorian was even made. Disney will always try to appeal and grow that group first and foremost. 

The comment that I referenced in my post upthread about how a podcast was ruminating on whether The Mandalorian was free to tell the stories that it really wanted to tell, now that Grogu had been shipped off to boarding school, came from a discussion on “The Watch,” where three critics at different levels of fandom (fanatic, medium and light) were contemplating the notion. So I don’t even think it’s a debate between diehard fans wanting nostalgic lore and casual fans who want a found family story because all 3 of those podcast people were seriously entertaining the notion that S3 could be a departure to a different kind of storytelling.  And it’s interesting to consider while waiting another year+ for new episodes.

I do think the Armorer said something interesting in S1 when she noted that Grogu needed to be reunited with his own kind, and Din skeptically asked if he was supposed to seek out “enemy sorcerers” and return the kid to them.  She tells him that it is for him to determine [who Grogu’s own kind is].

Din really runs (all the way through S2) with the idea that Grogu’s own kind is the Jedi, but it’s interesting that whether you are Mandalorian or Jedi, it is a creed (as they say over and over), not a race.  So are the Jedi really Grogu’s kind?  Did Grogu accept the creed of the Jedi by calling out to Luke?  If yes, then one might think that there could be some closure, but on the other hand, the Armorer also bound Din and Grogu together as a clan of two.  Maybe Din is Grogu’s kind in the same way the Mandalorians became Din’s kind?  I never know with shows how deeply to analyze language choice like that, but fingers crossed that there is more to “kind.” 

11 hours ago, Dani said:

He literally broke his most sacred oath for that kid. 

This is also an interesting avenue to explore in S3 in the context of the Mandalorian politics that are bubbling up.  Din’s assassinated covert was extra fanatical about no faces because they were hunted and persecuted by the Empire (or its remnants) to the extent that they couldn’t go above ground more than one at a time.  But now he’s among others that take their helmets off all the time (which I know some speculated helped him remove his helmet for Grogu).  So I would like to see S3 have Din explore what it means to be Mandalorian.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

The comment that I referenced in my post upthread about how a podcast was ruminating on whether The Mandalorian was free to tell the stories that it really wanted to tell, now that Grogu had been shipped off to boarding school, came from a discussion on “The Watch,” where three critics at different levels of fandom (fanatic, medium and light) were contemplating the notion. So I don’t even think it’s a debate between diehard fans wanting nostalgic lore and casual fans who want a found family story because all 3 of those podcast people were seriously entertaining the notion that S3 could be a departure to a different kind of storytelling.  And it’s interesting to consider while waiting another year+ for new episodes.

Part of it is that many people make money off of their videos and podcasts and then need to find new things to talk about. They will seriously entertain just about any notion to fill a hiatus. It has very little to do with what is actually likely to happen. You will find virtually every theory discussed ad nuaseum somewhere online. 

58 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I do think the Armorer said something interesting in S1 when she noted that Grogu needed to be reunited with his own kind, and Din skeptically asked if he was supposed to seek out “enemy sorcerers” and return the kid to them.  She tells him that it is for him to determine [who Grogu’s own kind is].

Din really runs (all the way through S2) with the idea that Grogu’s own kind is the Jedi, but it’s interesting that whether you are Mandalorian or Jedi, it is a creed (as they say over and over), not a race.  So are the Jedi really Grogu’s kind?  Did Grogu accept the creed of the Jedi by calling out to Luke?  If yes, then one might think that there could be some closure, but on the other hand, the Armorer also bound Din and Grogu together as a clan of two.  Maybe Din is Grogu’s kind in the same way the Mandalorians became Din’s kind?  I never know with shows how deeply to analyze language choice like that, but fingers crossed that there is more to “kind.” 

This is also an interesting avenue to explore in S3 in the context of the Mandalorian politics that are bubbling up.  Din’s assassinated covert was extra fanatical about no faces because they were hunted and persecuted by the Empire (or its remnants) to the extent that they couldn’t go above ground more than one at a time.  But now he’s among others that take their helmets off all the time (which I know some speculated helped him remove his helmet for Grogu).  So I would like to see S3 have Din explore what it means to be Mandalorian.

Realistically, what you mention is the mostly likely direction the story is going. At it’s heart Star Wars has always been a found family story and that is unlikely to change anytime soon. 

This show is trying to appeal to everyone, new fans from this show, casual fans, fans of the animated series (with Bo Katan and Ahsoka Tano), fans of the originals (with Luke Skywalker and Boba Fett) and the hardcore fans. That is how they are going to get the most out of this show and any others.

One group of the fandom isn't going to make them money, all of them together will. And they have 2 hardcore fans running the show. 

11 hours ago, Dani said:

’m not sure what your point is? I didn’t say Baby Yoda wasn’t very good for Disney. A large part of the reason it has been good is because he appeals to the fan base you dismissed “fan boys who live in their parents basement and pirate the show”. Star Wars has existed for 43 years because of that fan base. If Star Wars fans didn’t spend money it never would have reached the point where The Mandalorian was even made. Disney will always try to appeal and grow that group first and foremost. 

My point is that Disney is first and foremost a business and I doubt they will want to get rid of a character who is making so much money for them.  No matter what the Baby Yoda haters section of the fandom wants. Or how loyal they have been for 43 years.  And I am calling them fan boys because they are usually male and long time Star Wars fans in my online experience.   I am not quite clear on what they want - other than no Baby Yoda on their show.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

11 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

So I would like to see S3 have Din explore what it means to be Mandalorian.

Yes. I would love to see both of these aspects explored - the political aspects of Mandalore and Din's role in the creed, along with the Child and what it means for him to be with his "kind." And I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Not that anyone here is - I think - saying that. But I guess it wouldn't be a fandom if people weren't taking all or nothing approaches to their preferences. 🙂

When I see that some people seem to feel that the Child became important to the show only because it was cute and because people fell in love with it, I'm always reminded of the last scene of the first episode where we see the tough, battle-hardened Mandalorian reaching out a finger, and the mysterious bounty reaching out toward him in return right before the screen goes dark. That, to me, is sufficient evidence that exploring the relationship between Mando and the Child was the plan from the get-go. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Dani said:

I agree that they are going to try to appeal to both groups, but hopefully they will do it well enough that neither of us will be disappointed.

12 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

It's interesting that both the Armorer and Ahsoka said that it is Grogu's choice - maybe he'll be the bridge between Mandalorians and Jedis because he's both.  He'll train with Luke and return to Din to travel the galaxy.  

A friend of mine pointed out recently - where is Grogu in the third trilogy?  Well, where is Mando?  Neither are there, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but Mandalorians weren't even mentioned.  So it's perfectly possible that Grogu and Mando are just out there doing what they do during those movies, so they can all still be "canon" or whatever it is that the die hard fans fight over.

32 minutes ago, bethy said:

Yes. I would love to see both of these aspects explored - the political aspects of Mandalore and Din's role in the creed, along with the Child and what it means for him to be with his "kind." And I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Not that anyone here is - I think - saying that. But I guess it wouldn't be a fandom if people weren't taking all or nothing approaches to their preferences. 🙂

When I see that some people seem to feel that the Child became important to the show only because it was cute and because people fell in love with it, I'm always reminded of the last scene of the first episode where we see the tough, battle-hardened Mandalorian reaching out a finger, and the mysterious bounty reaching out toward him in return right before the screen goes dark. That, to me, is sufficient evidence that exploring the relationship between Mando and the Child was the plan from the get-go. 

I think some people might be hoping that they are mutually exclusive, but I'm hoping that those people will be the ones who are wrong. 😉  I agree with everything you've said here.

New speculation for Season 3:  Somehow, they work in Poe Dameron.  Because why wouldn't besties Pedro and Oscar want to work together? 🤣  (Please note the sarcasm.  I don't know the timeline very well, but would Poe even be born yet?  Oh wait!  I know!  Din rescues baby Poe next, so Grogu has a friend. 😉 )

• Love 2

That's what great about having these shows now. The animated shows explained why Ahsoka wasn't around for the original trilogy. So if the show runs long enough they can explain where Mando and Grogu were. 

• Love 1

It’s also possible that this show doesn’t have to address that far into the future at all, and that the question could be left for a future property (animated show, comic, feature film) to cover.  Maybe that would be too unsatisfying for this to be left open-ended, though.

Just going back to the point about Din’s creed and what part of the creed he has forsaken for the kid, Din actually didn’t seemingly overtly transgress any article of his faith until the last scene of the S2 finale.  Like, I could argue that everything he did up to the point of removing his helmet at Grogu’s request was consistent with his faith.

Protecting foundlings was established in the first episodes as a key principal of Din’s covert (i.e., setting aside Beskar for foundlings).  The Armorer is like the tribal leader, and she commanded Din that it is an article of practice of the faith that Din treat Grogu as his own son for now.  So removing the helmet in “The Believer”, although obviously terrifying and uncomfortable for Din, was not really at odds with the calling of his faith to protect his child.  It was his duty and his quest to see the foundling to safety.  Din did what he had to do, as Mayfeld said.  But I wonder if Din will have trouble putting the helmet back on, though, after that final scene, where he took it off in front of others for no reason other than love.  Where does that leave him?

55 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree that they are going to try to appeal to both groups, but hopefully they will do it well enough that neither of us will be disappointed.

It's interesting that both the Armorer and Ahsoka said that it is Grogu's choice - maybe he'll be the bridge between Mandalorians and Jedis because he's both.  He'll train with Luke and return to Din to travel the galaxy.  

A friend of mine pointed out recently - where is Grogu in the third trilogy?  Well, where is Mando?  Neither are there, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but Mandalorians weren't even mentioned.  So it's perfectly possible that Grogu and Mando are just out there doing what they do during those movies, so they can all still be "canon" or whatever it is that the die hard fans fight over.

I think some people might be hoping that they are mutually exclusive, but I'm hoping that those people will be the ones who are wrong. 😉  I agree with everything you've said here.

New speculation for Season 3:  Somehow, they work in Poe Dameron.  Because why wouldn't besties Pedro and Oscar want to work together? 🤣  (Please note the sarcasm.  I don't know the timeline very well, but would Poe even be born yet?  Oh wait!  I know!  Din rescues baby Poe next, so Grogu has a friend. 😉 )

I read somewhere recently, cannot remember where though, that the Dark Saber used to belong to a Jedi who was also a Mandalorian. Made me wonder about the direction the show was heading with Din’s “son” Grogu.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

It’s weird to me people look to Grogu’s absence in the third trilogy as a sign of anything. He basically the same age as Anakin Skywalker and as been alive throughout everything Star Wars. Also the last movie establishes there are many people fighting the First Order beyond the characters the movies focused on. There is a Mandalorian ship and a ship that looks to be the same model as the Razor Crest visible in the movie. It also includes the ship from Rebels making it clear previous established characters are still active in that world. Din would be in his 50’s or 60’s by that point.

28 minutes ago, Nolefan said:

I read somewhere recently, cannot remember where though, that the Dark Saber used to belong to a Jedi who was also a Mandalorian. Made me wonder about the direction the show was heading with Din’s “son” Grogu.

That’s true. It was established in the animated shows. 

48 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

But I wonder if Din will have trouble putting the helmet back on, though, after that final scene, where he took it off in front of others for no reason other than love.  Where does that leave him?

I know most are assuming Season 3 will start with Din and Bo Karan focused on Mandalore but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the direction they go in first. The idea that Din takes his oath so seriously and decides to never put the helmet back on his a interesting route that they have laid the groundwork for. Plus the retired gunfighter trope is right up the shows alley. 

18 hours ago, Dani said:

Good! That means they're doing something right! 😁

1 hour ago, Nolefan said:

I read somewhere recently, cannot remember where though, that the Dark Saber used to belong to a Jedi who was also a Mandalorian.

Legend tells that it was created over a thousand years ago by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order.

-Wookieepedia

1 hour ago, paigow said:

Legend tells that it was created over a thousand years ago by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order.

-Wookieepedia

So Grogu could  become the first Jedi to become a Mandalorian.  There is already fan created Mandalorian armor for him out there on the web. Personally I think the child gnawing on that Mando necklace around his neck at the end of season 1 could be a clue-by-four.

• Love 5
On 12/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I hear you... I guess there is uncertainty.  But people love to speculate and spread rumors about everything, so who knows. 

I, for one, will be livid if our days of Mando and The Kid as we know them are over.  I am NOT a diehard Star Wars fan; I am a Pedro and his puppet fan.  They sucked me in and I know there are millions like me.  They'll lose too much if they totally reverse course now.  The little teaser for Boba's show didn't even make me want to watch it; Favreau needs to move on if this is his best idea.

I’m pretty sure the backlash will rival the GoT finale. But unlike HBO, there is little else keeping me tied to being a Disney+ subscriber. They will lose tons of subscribers and will deserve it. I will personally root for their failure. 

Also, what would be the point of the Armorer making Mando’s sigil a Clan of Two? I thought that had significance. 

Edited by laprin
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, laprin said:

Also, what would be the point of the Armorer making Mando’s sigil a Clan of Two? I thought that had significance. 

I think a lot of it has to have significance, definitely.  The Clan of Two, two people saying it's Grogu's choice, the Mandalorian pendant... Favreau and Filoni seem like very smart, detail oriented showrunners and Star Wars fans.  I don't think they'll leave loose ends.  (Now, we may not get things tied up immediately because they have to create suspense and what not, but IMO it'll happen.) 

Here's maybe some new speculation - something happens to Luke (obviously we know he lives, but he has to leave for whatever reason) and Grogu still needs a guardian; he can't stay at Jedi Camp by himself.  So R2D2 returns him to Din. 🙂 

23 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Here's maybe some new speculation - something happens to Luke (obviously we know he lives, but he has to leave for whatever reason) and Grogu still needs a guardian; he can't stay at Jedi Camp by himself.  So R2D2 returns him to Din. 🙂 

I hope something like this doesn’t happen. It’s just kicking the can down the road. When Grogu comes back I want it to be for good not where he should return for more training. Grogu’s already trained for as long as most Jedi knights. A few months refresher with Luke and he should be good to go. He might end up actually showing Luke how to rebuild the Jedi order. 

6 hours ago, Dani said:

I hope something like this doesn’t happen. It’s just kicking the can down the road. When Grogu comes back I want it to be for good not where he should return for more training. Grogu’s already trained for as long as most Jedi knights. A few months refresher with Luke and he should be good to go. He might end up actually showing Luke how to rebuild the Jedi order. 

I definitely think Din and Grogu will be reunited by the end of Season 3, but I think they will find each other themselves. Although we left things with Moff Gideon in custody, I think there are some bigger things going on that the audience has not fully seen yet, which means Grogu (and Din) are still in great danger. And Luke’s statement to Din that he (Luke) would protect Grogu with his life — well seemed a little ominous to me. I don’t think Luke will fulfill this promise. I think in the next Season, it will be Din, not Luke,  who protects Grogu (and in the process Grogu protectis Din), further cementing their “Clan of Two.” Somethings that have stuck with me (from Season 1?) were Din’s offer to Kuill to be a crew member on the Razor Crest and Kruill’s explanation to Din about how with patience and guidance he trained IG-11. While these scenes were important to those parts of the show, I think they will also have future implications.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Dani said:

Maybe it's Luke who tells R2D2 to return Grogu because Luke has to go and Grogu's training is over.  Both could happen...  I just want to see R2D2 again. 😉 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Nolefan said:

Although we left things with Moff Gideon in custody, I think there are some bigger things going on that the audience has not fully seen yet, which means Grogu (and Din) are still in great danger.

That's one reason why I'm OK with Grogu being a recurring character instead of constantly on the show. S1 and S2 were all about getting Grogu safe, protecting him. Yes, the filler stuff didn't revolve (strictly)  around saving Grogu but, it was part of it. 

I'm really not interested in more seasons of someone trying to kidnap Grogu and Din+company having to rescue/protect him. This has already gotten old (for me). 

I'd rather Grogu show up occasionally or Din go visit Grogu but, have other stories too. Maybe Din gets in trouble and Grogu shows up to save him and then goes back to the Academy?

Baby Grogu fit S1-2 because he's a mcguffin. Padawan Grogu will already be too powerful for this show and, like most Jedi make everyone else irrelevant. Especially when the show is such a simple story (that's not an insult, it's what makes it great).

So I'm in the camp of expecting Grogu back in S3 but, hoping it's limited. I don't want him fully powered Jedi because that makes Din irrelevant, IMO.  I also wouldn't expect a time jump or rapid aging syndrome.

I am a Star Wars fan, I will watch S3 without Grogu, I'll watch it with Grogu, I would have watched it if it was about Boba Fett. I plan on watching Ahsoka, High Republic, Rangers, Andor and, the Bad Batch . Only announced show I have no interest in is Droids...although if there's an episode of Chopper and R2 comparing body counts I will watch (pretty sure Chopper wins that one...he's vicious)😂

I'm also on Disney+ for all the Marvel content that is slowly rolling out, Loki and Falcon/Winter Soldier look awesome, not so sure about Wanda Vision but, I'll give it a try. 

• Love 2