Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: FitFighter; Liftid; Foam Party Hats; Honeywine

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

A unique fitness system; a high-tech headband designed to provide the brain with a boost of energy; festive party hats; a wine made from honey.

Hmm... Seems like the order of this episode should be 1) fitness system, 2) brain energy headband, 3) wine, because they're going to need some wine after a brain energy headband pitch, 4) festive party hats, which will seem a lot more appealing after some wine.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The fitness system looks like a winner-Fitfighter looks very good, and won't take up that much room at home.    I'm glad Daniel Lubetzky closed a deal with the seller.

I hated the Liftid headband.     The list of people who shouldn't use it was pretty long, and I didn't like the man pitching it.   I just wanted him to be quiet, and leave the stage.    I wonder if someone has filed the first lawsuit about injury yet?   

Foam Party Hats looks like so much fun.   With 600 hats in the inventory there's something for every one to choose from, and the margins are amazing.      Daniel Lubetzky would have been a great partner, but two sharks are better than one.   Mark and Lori joining up just to mess with Daniel was funny. and since they wanted a lower percentage, it was a better deal.

Bee D'Vine, honey wine (isn't that the same as Mead?).    $39.95 a bottle?   And they'll have to get that price a lot lower, so people are willing to take a chance and try it.   I love that Robert, Mark, Lori, and Daniel went in together on it.  Now get the price under $15.    

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Foam Party Hats looks like so much fun.   With 600 hats in the inventory there's something for every one to choose from, and the margins are amazing.      Daniel Lubetzky would have been a great partner, but two sharks are better than one.   Mark and Lori joining up just to mess with Daniel was funny. and since they wanted a lower percentage, it was a better deal.

The Mark and Lori bit was funny, but are they really so rich that can toss away $100K (or more, I wasn't paying that much attention) just to mess with someone? Obviously, yes, but that's depressing.

Does anyone even have parties anymore to wear these hats to?

The Liftid device looks pretty rife for a class action lawsuit. Neurostimulation isn’t new but I guess the selling point is the price. There are positive reviews on Amazon but no one is really specific on how if affects them. Just kind of a general “I think it makes me more focused” kind of statements

• Love 2

The Liftid people reminded me of the two cult leaders in “The Vow.” They seemed like such bullshit artists. I hate that Shark Tank gives a platform to charlatans like this, but at least no one was taken in by them. 

The fitness hose looked pretty cool but unless I missed it she never even said what they sell for?

I would love to try the bee wine, it sounded like something I would really enjoy but $39+ per bottle!? No freaking way! Mark was 100% correct on that, he must get the price point around $15 if he actually wants to build a customer base. If that wine was sold for $15 I would go out tomorrow and buy a bottle no hesitation. 

• Love 7

I couldn’t beleive that the sharks were encouraging Manuel NOT to quit his job- isn’t that usually the big reason folks don’t get deals? I love Daniel, because he is one of the few guest sharks who doesn’t repeat his product over and over and over ( i wanted to clobber the go pro guy and a few others ). I wish they were all humble and nice like Daniel and not so focused on their own product . I loved the hats !!

• Love 2

There actually is some legitimate research behind cortical stimulation devices but not enough to justify using it for much.  And they played the game of 'well we are not making medical claims but it might work for all these things'.  And there are other devices just like it too not the only one. I actually dont think there is a huge risk with it, standard stuff you have to say for a device.  But the guy was annoying and wouldn't shut up.  I always think about how they edit these presentations down quite a bit so what we see is not even as bad as he must have been 

The foam hats seem like a fun idea but they really need mass production and some standardization.  I was never clear, they make all those by hand individually?  The mark up is huge and materials cheap biggest advantage there. 

Agree with everyone honey wine may be good but not for $40 a bottle. 

The Fitfighter was clearly the best idea and that woman was pumped!

• Love 3

I loved the foam hat folks, and was glad they got a deal. I liked the product, but I think $45/hat may be too expensive for a fun item, unless you plan on using it more than once, like a birthday

hat.  I thought the hats they made for the sharks were pretty clever, except that jewelry box for Lori. 

The fitness hose was somewhat interesting, but aren't there a million fitness items out there? I'm doing a fitness class remotely, and rebelled against buying on the equipment (sets of band, sets of hand weight, exercise ball, pilates ball, halo ring, gliders, etc etc).  I'm not sure it can break through the noise, but I wish the woman well.  

I agree about the honey wine - I'd love to try it, but not at that price.  That guy seemed very nice, but really, had a very poor business sense.  Unfortunately, I live in PA, so can't order it by mail.

Edited by mjc570
clarity
  • Love 1

I looked up the Fit Fighter online. It was $65 plus shipping for the 15 pounder. It's basically an old firehose filled with steel shot. I thought it would be nice to have a softer grip weight, but at that price I will just have to suck it up with my dumbbells. 

The hat lady has some real design talent.

The brain zapper. I like how they stressed that you have to be doing some highly focused activity like studying or reading for it to give results. Um, maybe the really focused activity itself is what is providing the benefit! 

• Love 5

Mmm, mead. Love me some mead. But just like regular wine different brands can taste very differently. If your local liquor store carries any it's usually this stuff.

No idea if the fire hose workout equipment is worth it. The entrepreneur was pretty impressive on her own though. If it takes off I see a made-for-tv movie of her life in the future. The headband was just 21st Century snake oil. Party hat people, and their hats, were hilarious. Loved that they got a deal. The looks on the sharks' faces were priceless when he pulled out the coronavirus hat.

• Love 5

I'll be the exception here yet again and say that I thought the hats were stupid. Non-recyclable, single-use wasteful garbage. Maybe they can partner with Scrub Daddy and make the hats from the same sponge material so you can cut up the hat after you "use" it for three hours. I'm not a party person, if you hadn't guessed.

The firehose woman had an incredible body, but if she couldn't pull off a jumpsuit, no one can. It was too short and she was wearing Frankenstein shoes with it, which didn't help.

Edited by bilgistic
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 11/14/2020 at 10:06 PM, bilgistic said:

I'll be the exception here yet again and say that I thought the hats were stupid. Non-recyclable, single-use wasteful garbage. Maybe they can partner with Scrub Daddy and make the hats from the same sponge material so you can cut up the hat after you "use" it for three hours. I'm not a party person, if you hadn't guessed.

I'll join you - I thought the people were very nice but I was beyond surprised that they got not one but two offers!  Foam party hats?  Really?  As they would say "there's  nothing proprietary, not really a business, .... " and on and on.  The only place I could see these would be a party rental site or if they were sports branded (maybe that's what Mark was thinking?) then to the same folks that wear those big cheese hats.   Good luck to them.  

• Love 4
On 11/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, bilgistic said:

On 11/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

I'll join you - I thought the people were very nice but I was beyond surprised that they got not one but two offers!  Foam party hats?  Really?  As they would say "there's  nothing proprietary, not really a business, .... " and on and on.  The only place I could see these would be a party rental site or if they were sports branded (maybe that's what Mark was thinking?) then to the same folks that wear those big cheese hats.   Good luck to them.  

I'm with you two, too. I thought of it as an incredible waste of money that would quickly become clutter or go into the Goodwill donation box. How many of those would thrift store shoppers need? 

• Love 1
On 11/13/2020 at 9:01 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hated the Liftid headband.     The list of people who shouldn't use it was pretty long, and I didn't like the man pitching it.   I just wanted him to be quiet, and leave the stage.   

IIRC, when the sharks asked something about why they are doing this, which is usually when people launch into a story about the product's significance in their lives or why they believe in it, the guy only said something about being good at sales and nothing about the product itself.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:27 PM, mjc570 said:

I agree about the honey wine - I'd love to try it, but not at that price.  That guy seemed very nice, but really, had a very poor business sense

Understatement of the year.