Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Psych

Without her lasagna business to keep her preoccupied, Katie feels like her life is once again off course. As she searches to find her life purpose, she redirects her energy toward Greg and the kids becoming overbearing and controlling. Meanwhile, after sabotaging Greg’s efforts to preserve a historical landmark and putting the future of the Westport Historical Guild in jeopardy, Katie recommends Greg run for city council. And elsewhere, Franklin challenges an older boy to a duel in an effort to win back Anna-Kat’s affections.

Air date: 2020.04.11

Okay, I can’t explain it. I just don’t like this show but I keep watching it. Don’t really like any of the characters.  Maybe liked old Anna Kat more than the new one but not by a huge difference. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I can’t explain it. I just don’t like this show but I keep watching it. Don’t really like any of the characters.  Maybe liked old Anna Kat more than the new one but not by a huge difference. 

I feel that way sometimes. It's one of those shows I watch cuz it's mildly amusing and there's nothing else on at the time, I guess.

• Love 1

Wow. It's like they just did not film or air the last 2 episodes of the previous season, and just decided to pretend they did, and go forward with the material they wrote for season 5 anyway.

We should have seen the process of Katie becoming tired of the lasagna business and selling it. We should have seen Taylor change her mind and get into college because of Greg's position at the local college. We should have seen Anna Kat and Franklin officially become an item. How can they skip all that? Doris becoming a cougar? We should have seen the events that led up to that.  As it is, all these things are just coming out of the blue, and why? Why didn't they shoot those episodes?

Anyway, Mariah's cat park initiative was hilarious 😄 Time really is up! And also Katie's narc joke with principal Ablin. Overall it was a strong episode, I just wish they didn't skip all these important developments.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Harvey said:

Wow. It's like they just did not film or air the last 2 episodes of the previous season, and just decided to pretend they did, and go forward with the material they wrote for season 5 anyway.

We should have seen the process of Katie becoming tired of the lasagna business and selling it. We should have seen Taylor change her mind and get into college because of Greg's position at the local college. We should have seen Anna Kat and Franklin officially become an item. How can they skip all that? Doris becoming a cougar? We should have seen the events that led up to that.  As it is, all these things are just coming out of the blue, and why? Why didn't they shoot those episodes?

Anyway, Mariah's cat park initiative was hilarious 😄 Time really is up! And also Katie's narc joke with principal Ablin. Overall it was a strong episode, I just wish they didn't skip all these important developments.

I agree, it feels like they had most of these episodes filmed. Then just "refilmed" with the new Anna-Kat and filled in a few missing blanks. I mean, do Greg and Katie know that Taylor lied about not getting in. Now, she is and is actually "trying". Oliver finally gets a smack down that he isn't anyone special, but he does have a knack for thinking things up and going from there. I also like how the show "tries" to act like COVID isn't in this universe, but then makes it so you know the actors are staying away from each other. 

• Love 2

She lied about getting into Carnegie Mellon, which is in Pittsburgh. This episode indicated she got in and is attending whatever school Greg teaches at in Connecticut. We missed any episodic reveal that she'd even applied there, let alone get in, as far as I recall.

• Love 3

I found new Anna Kat to be less distracting this week, which probably means I'm just getting used to her.  I think it actually helps that the kid who plays Franklin has apparently entered his awkward/growth spurt phase, so he looks different, too.

Agreed that there was a lot of exposition casually thrown out in a few lines (Taylor college, lasagna business, Doris).

I laughed a few times, which is pretty much all I require at this point.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

I found new Anna Kat to be less distracting this week, which probably means I'm just getting used to her.  I think it actually helps that the kid who plays Franklin has apparently entered his awkward/growth spurt phase, so he looks different, too.

Agreed that there was a lot of exposition casually thrown out in a few lines (Taylor college, lasagna business, Doris).

I laughed a few times, which is pretty much all I require at this point.

I would rather than they'd just send the Anna Kat character off to a boarding school offscreen and sent Franklin with her. He was cute as a kid, but his awkwardness isn't translating well to teenager. It's bizarre to have a new actress in the role and there's no chemistry between her and the actor who plays Franklin.

I've only half paid attention, but I find the idea of Katie selling her lasagna business a bit far-fetched. It was her making lasagna in her kitchen, right? What's to sell, the recipe?

• Love 7

I'm guessing the two "missing" episodes couldn't be used or flash-backed to because it would mean reshooting everything ($$$) or glaringly introducing a new Anna-Kat midseason. And the Season 5 story arcs were already laid out. Yeah, I noticed that actors interacting in the same scene often aren't really in the same shot. Give credit to the director for being able to maintain social distancing.

Edited by Bobbin
Fixed typo
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I find the idea of Katie selling her lasagna business a bit far-fetched. It was her making lasagna in her kitchen, right? What's to sell, the recipe?

Yes, the recipe (minus the eyeballs) and her client list.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bobbin said:

I'm guessing the two "missing" episodes couldn't be used or flash-backed to because it would mean reshooting everything ($$$) or glaringly introducing a new Anna-Kat midseason. And the Season 5 story arcs were already laid out. Yeah, I noticed that actors interacting in the same scene often aren't really in the same shot. Give credit to the director for being able to maintain social distancing.

Right I agree with that and you notice too. They aren't "by each other" but they make it look like that or use a video chat on a computer or phone to fill in the rest. 

I also like how the show "tries" to act like COVID isn't in this universe, but then makes it so you know the actors are staying away from each other. 

I haven't really noticed that except for the scene with Katie on Zoom with Doris. They're standing near each other in other scenes though. There's no mention of COVID in any school scenes so yeah, it doesn't exist in this world I guess.

I've only half paid attention, but I find the idea of Katie selling her lasagna business a bit far-fetched. It was her making lasagna in her kitchen, right? What's to sell, the recipe?

Hard to believe anyone's going to pay for the right to sell Katie's lasagna. Especially in this town.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, bybrandy said:

On the other side?  More Cooper!!  

The writing for Cooper has felt more realistic of how inept he is on simple things like chores, and how privledge he has been as people from The Ottos to even his teachers are pointing out: "Cooper, seriously, how do you dress yourself?" But it's done in a way where you get it, he didn't have to worry about cleaning up the house, raking leaves, buying stuff on his own. He had someone always doing it for him or his parents were so: "we have money, people can do all our crap instead and we can just go places." It's exaggerated, but not over top. Unlike say the "mean housewives" who you just want to go: "how did you guys even make it to being adults?"

• Love 4
On 11/5/2020 at 3:45 AM, Harvey said:

Thank you - I've been wondering why I've felt so lost.  I actually forgot where things stood when we left off last season but if the show had picked up at that point this season it would have jogged my memory.  Now I'm just not getting the connections between then and now.  Last I remembered, Katie had a business in party planning.  What happened to that?  Did I forget something about that ending last season?  It didn't make sense to me that in this episode she suddenly was acting all bored like she had no party planning OR lasagna business.  She actually planned Ablin's wedding using those skills in last week's episode, so I thought she was still doing that.  It's no wonder my head was spinning in this episode and I was like, "Wait - what??" 

There's no reason they couldn't have filmed the "missing" episodes tying all those ends together this season with the new Anna Kat actress, either.  Are they going out of their way to confuse the audience?

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Last I remembered, Katie had a business in party planning.  What happened to that?

She worked for someone else (played by Kelly Ripa) doing that; she quits that job (in true Katie fashion, of course) in season 4. According to the wikipedia list of episodes, she starts doing the lasagna thing a couple episodes after that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

She worked for someone else (played by Kelly Ripa) doing that; she quits that job (in true Katie fashion, of course) in season 4. According to the wikipedia list of episodes, she starts doing the lasagna thing a couple episodes after that.

Thanks, I remember that now!  I knew I had forgotten something.  I just can't keep up with her "projects".

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Thanks, I remember that now!  I knew I had forgotten something.  I just can't keep up with her "projects".

I had to google it to make sure I remembered correctly.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Well, and when she was going on how she is 40 and has no business, and nothing else to do, especially with Taylor now in college and Oliver is pretty independant. You just want to go: "Then why sell your new business?" It was successful, people were jealous, hell even Oliver got in on it. Then apparently over the summer she just went: "Oh well, don't need it anymore." Then complains and goes on a rant about how she needs to "control things". To the point even Greg wants to smack her upside the head. The show can have Katie work and still be the "American Housewife". It's like they have to force her to be at home for some reason. While Cooper pointed out he wished his parents would have been like this, but he also points out, it's a bit too much even for Katie. 

• Love 6
On 11/5/2020 at 1:00 PM, ljenkins782 said:

It was her making lasagna in her kitchen, right? What's to sell, the recipe?

The loyal customer base that will follow the brand name. Any business that's profitable is saleable as a turnkey operation.

I was also confused by some of the changes. I thought Taylor decided to take a year off to save money, but I wasn't really sure about that. Sometimes when shows do "previously on..." flashbacks, I think it's too much, but now I'm kind of wishing they'd done it!

I get that Cooper is clueless about everyday things, but "mopping" with a mop that lacks a sponge or any kind of anything strikes me as beyond lacking in common sense. You could see it wasn't working, and you'd think he'd notice if it was scratching the floors. And Oliver just watching him do it without comment is also too much. I would kind of like to see him puzzle a few things out, and try to do stuff for more than just the attention, or have Oliver get involved a little more in showing him how to do stuff. Every character on this show is kind of one dimensional, but I think I'd like it better if they tried developing a little more complexity.

Who on the planet finds Lonnie amusing? I don't get it. At first I thought they were just using him as a character type-- those "jackass" prankster folks exist. But who would suggest Greg as his ghostwriter, anyway? It's not showing any development, it's just repetitive at this point.

I guess I'm another one who watches the show but isn't sure why. It has moments-- I like how Tripp is sometimes insightful about people even though he's completely dim in almost every other way, and how sincere he is about everything, including his friendship with Anna-Kat. But if he show disappeared, I don't think I'd remember it existed, either.

Give it a smidge less ridiculousness (Ablin, the library fine) and a smidge more than 1 dimension for each character, and it would help a lot. I don't need it to be SUPER complex and deep. Just a tiny bit more than what it is.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I get that Cooper is clueless about everyday things, but "mopping" with a mop that lacks a sponge or any kind of anything strikes me as beyond lacking in common sense. You could see it wasn't working, and you'd think he'd notice if it was scratching the floors. And Oliver just watching him do it without comment is also too much. I would kind of like to see him puzzle a few things out, and try to do stuff for more than just the attention, or have Oliver get involved a little more in showing him how to do stuff. Every character on this show is kind of one dimensional, but I think I'd like it better if they tried developing a little more complexity.

Who on the planet finds Lonnie amusing? I don't get it. At first I thought they were just using him as a character type-- those "jackass" prankster folks exist. But who would suggest Greg as his ghostwriter, anyway? It's not showing any development, it's just repetitive at this point.

With Cooper, it goes too far when he just doesn't grasp... things. I mean, he does check his phone and talks about YouTube and yet, he doesn't search "how to mop" on YouTube?

The problem with Lonnie is simple. People like this exist, they basically fall up to success by doing stupid things, that people find funny. How Jackass got so popular back in the day (yet I never got it). The show is trying to be: "See, we are showing how these guys are in real life, isn't it funny?" No, it comes off as a big "huh?"

LOL. If you make everything logical in a sitcom, you erase all the plot devices.

My guess is that Taylor can afford to go to the local college for her first year since she lives at home, commutes with Greg, and probably gets a break on tuition because Greg is an employee. No need to mention C-MU, which she can transfer to whenever as she's already been accepted.

The kids all support each other 100% and would never say anything that might embarrass the other. That's why Taylor may never tell Trip her name is "Otto" and not "Auto." And Oliver would never point out to Cooper that he isn't doing even simple menial chores right.

It was refreshing to see Greg finally unload on Katie. Fortunately their marriage is strong. And Katie has a thick skin. 

I enjoyed the robo-vacs. I had shoulder surgery last week, and I could use an army of them myself right now. 😄

Edited by Bobbin
Added thought.