Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: The Way it Came

• Start Topic

I’m struggling to follow this season. Can anyone who has gotten this far explain why there was a flashback to Dani’s wedding, but then later we see Dani break up with her fiancé and call off the wedding right before he gets killed? Did the wedding actually happen or no?  (Maybe it was a rehearsal dinner? I also have a bad habit of tuning out of weddings, funerals, other ceremonial scenes/speeches. Except for the wake in Two Storms, of course, but that was an entirely different situation.)

9 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I’m struggling to follow this season. Can anyone who has gotten this far explain why there was a flashback to Dani’s wedding, but then later we see Dani break up with her fiancé and call off the wedding right before he gets killed? Did the wedding actually happen or no?  (Maybe it was a rehearsal dinner? I also have a bad habit of tuning out of weddings, funerals, other ceremonial scenes/speeches. Except for the wake in Two Storms, of course, but that was an entirely different situation.)

I believe it was a bridal dinner, wedding shower thing. I believe her would be mother-in-law was trying to give her a wedding dress at the same function. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm sorry to say that I laughed when Dani's fiance got hit by the truck, and then again when she was trying to rush his poor mom away when her taxi showed up. It all just feels so clunky. The worst is probably the narration. I keep forgetting that this is a story Carla Gugino is telling until her voiceover is randomly inserted into a scene that doesn't need it. 

This has been really disappointing so far, but I've seen good reviews for the show from people I generally agree with so maybe it gets better. And I've enjoyed just about all of Mike Flanagan's previous work so I really want to like this, but it's hard going as others have already noted in previous episode topics.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I'm sorry to say that I laughed when Dani's fiance got hit by the truck, and then again when she was trying to rush his poor mom away when her taxi showed up. It all just feels so clunky. The worst is probably the narration. I keep forgetting that this is a story Carla Gugino is telling until her voiceover is randomly inserted into a scene that doesn't need it. 

This has been really disappointing so far, but I've seen good reviews for the show from people I generally agree with so maybe it gets better. And I've enjoyed just about all of Mike Flanagan's previous work so I really want to like this, but it's hard going as others have already noted in previous episode topics.

Agreed. I never want to be the first person to post negative stuff (because I can be a picky crank and I never want to scare anyone off a new show with my crankiness), but now that we’re in the safety of the episode 4 topic ... it seems like ... yeah, a lot of this isn’t working. The cast isn’t gelling for me, the accents aren’t working (why is Dani so BRASSY American), Carla Gugino’s wig wasn’t working for me, creepy kids only hold my attention for so long, dollhouses don’t scare me, and the editing / directing seems so unpolished compared to HHH. In episode one when the cook is driving Dani to the manor, they do this weird editing for the conversation in the car, and the sight lines seem so wrong. I barely know what sight lines are, and I still noticed. It couldn’t have felt less like the actors were actually in the same car.

I loved HHH and I feel bad, because this feels like it was rushed or something, or has True Detective S2 curse, and I’m sure a lot of people won’t make it through the first episode. 

Thanks to all who clarified that the wedding didn’t actually happen. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I never want to be the first person to post negative stuff (because I can be a picky crank and I never want to scare anyone off a new show with my crankiness)

Yeah, I feel like a jerk but I just had such high hopes for the show. Given the positive reviews, I've been wondering if I'm missing something or am being too nitpicky.

18 minutes ago, kieyra said:

The cast isn’t gelling for me, the accents aren’t working (why is Dani so BRASSY American)

Oh my gosh, yes! Especially on the second point because I don't know what Pedretti is going for but I hate it.

• Love 3

I agree with y'all. I came here for a spooky time and instead getting depressed mourners and an asshole child. I had high expectations I suppose but this episode for HH was where we got tall top hat ghost and I've only been creeped out so far by the things they showed in the trailers. 

It's the haunting of Bly Manor and I've really yet to see any haunting happening. If the show picks up, which I am still having slight hope for, I do not see myself rewatching these first four episodes at all. 

• Love 6

I believe it was an engagement party. While there haven't been as many ghosts so far as in HHH, the ones that are there seem to be more tied to the story. I have hope that more of them will be explained than in HHH which left me wanting to know more.

Dani's accent is getting to me but other than that I'm really enjoying this. 

• Love 2

It was definitely an engagement party. But yeah, it sure seemed like a wedding initially. 

I also got the sense that Dani’s fiancé’s apparition isn’t supposed to be an actual ghost..: more of a metaphorical ghost. Or, just a symbol of the emotional guilt she’s still carrying around for his death. 

But then again this is a show about a haunted house, so I could be totally wrong: 

• Love 10

Dani's speaking manner has been so familiar and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't place it. I finally realized she sounds just like Jennifer Garner to me.

This was more of a sad episode than anything. Miles continues to be the creepiest one. It certainly seemed like he wasn't himself (Quint?) at the table demanding a drink. 

But then he and Flora were seemingly scared children, bravely protecting Dani from the ghost strolling through the downstairs. *That* was creepy. 

There is some low level tension around never knowing which "Miles" might show next or what he might say. If he is possessed, it seems like he's not always aware of what he's said or done...so disturbing.

This show is so different than HHH, but has a similar focus on grief, guilt and family. I do like the family of Bly Manor and thank goodness there are other adults in that creepy situation. Is Hannah the only one besides Dani who lives there?

Random thoughts, I continue to love Hannah's impeccable dressing while doing things around the house.

Also, was there some weirdness with the woman who was helping Dani into her gown in the flashback? Just an odd vibe. Was she flirting?

I like Jamie and Dani a lot, but that whole scene was cringe. Could the timing have been worse? Lol. Makeout sesh after the grief bonfire and Dani saying she sees her fiance around? Awkward.

After reading The Dollhouse Murders as a kid, dollhouses have always been creepy to me and this show just reinforces that. 

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 7

I'll most likely finish this season, but I'm not really enjoying it. So far it seems like a drama series with a haunted house in the background. With HHH, you could tell that was a ghost story, I feel like with this one you can't. The previous episode had zero ghosts until the end when Dani saw her dead fiancée. I was genuinely spooked watching HHH and only watched during the day. So far Bly Manor is 🤷‍♀️

If Dani can't look in a mirror, how is she doing her hair and make-up?

12 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Also, was there some weirdness with the woman who was helping Dani into her gown in the flashback? Just an odd vibe. Was she flirting?

I think that was supposed to show us that Dani is attracted to women. During the rehearsal dinner/engagement party she looked uncomfortable when Edmund was talking about their love story, like she knew she could never love him the way he loved her. It also seemed like she had told him that when they were fighting in the car, though I fully admit I started tuning out at this point in the episode and only perked up when he got hit by the car. She mentioned something about pushing down her feelings.

Edited by MaggieG
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

But then he and Flora were seemingly scared children, bravely protecting Dani from the ghost strolling through the downstairs. *That* was creepy. 

The ghost slowly walking behind Dani in the background was very eerie, it reminded me of the background ghosts that were always in the background of Hill House. 

Miles freaking out about wanting a drink makes me wonder if Peter is the one possessing or influencing him, I am pretty convinced that Peter is dead already and is haunting the house. Well, one of the people haunting the house anyway. 

Dani's backstory was sad, you can kind of picture how it happened, she and her childhood best friend started dating maybe because everyone just expected them to, and then they got engaged because, again, they were supposed to and while her fiancé was totally happy and had no idea there was a problem, Dani didn't love him the way that he loved her. 

This episode wasn't really scary (except for the background ghost) mostly just very melancholy. Really, thats how the last few episodes have been. Less scary and more sad. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Dani's speaking manner has been so familiar and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't place it. I finally realized she sounds just like Jennifer Garner to me. 

This show is so different than HHH, but has a similar focus on grief, guilt and family. I do like the family of Bly Manor and thank goodness there are other adults in that creepy situation. Is Hannah the only one besides Dani who lives there?

Yes—Jennifer Garner!! I was also trying to figure out who she sounded like and you nailed it! 

Yep Hannah and Dani are the only 2 adults who currently reside at the house. 

• Love 5

All Through the Night was a great song choice, its a very underrated 80s song, and its romantic but kind of...weird? It fits really well. Like in retrospect, introducing Peter with Tainted Love is also quite appropriate. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

All Through the Night was a great song choice, its a very underrated 80s song, and its romantic but kind of...weird?

Reminds me of when they dropped "Kyrie" in that one dance scene in GLOW season 2. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

All Through the Night was a great song choice, its a very underrated 80s song, and its romantic but kind of...weird? It fits really well. Like in retrospect, introducing Peter with Tainted Love is also quite appropriate. 

I knew the song from it's use on Cold Case. Later on Riverdale and a movie called Table 19 used covers. Nice that the song is getting some due. The dreamy quality of the song was perfect for the scene. 

• Love 1

Yeah, if those children are regularly left alone at night while the staff has bonfires and drinking parties on the lawn no wonder they're messed up..

I find the ghosts surprisingly lacksadaisical thus far. One just stands there and the other wanders the stairs in the night and yet another hovers behind the window. 

I was wondering why Dani was given a wedding dress at what appeared to be her wedding, it only dawned on me halfway through the episode.

That 17th century gravestone was surprisingly clear. It didn't appear to have weathered over time at all.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:52 PM, Aliferously said:

I find the ghosts surprisingly lacksadaisical thus far. One just stands there and the other wanders the stairs in the night and yet another hovers behind the window. 

Totally agree. I don't mind this story, but the ghosts in this ghost story are kind of missing. I really wish the show would show us what Flora is actually looking at behind Dani when they are speaking.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:58 AM, MaggieG said:

think that was supposed to show us that Dani is attracted to women. During the rehearsal dinner/engagement party she looked uncomfortable when Edmund was talking about their love story, like she knew she could never love him the way he loved her. It also seemed like she had told him that when they were fighting in the car, though I fully admit I started tuning out at this point in the episode and only perked up when he got hit by the car. She mentioned something about pushing down her feelings.

Yes, I think this is it exactly. And keeping in mind it's the mid-eighties when being gay was not as accepted as now it's completely plausible that she tried to deny it and do what was expected and conventional.

And maybe it's just me, but I feel like I need closed captioning on - I cannot understand a word Mrs. Grose says at all. Between the accent and her way of speaking so softly, it unintelligible to me......

• Love 2