Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Thanks!

OK I click on the oval with 3 dots and it says Share. I click on the individual dot still get Share, click randomly in the gray oval and still get Share, no drop down menu What am I doing wrong??

It has to be in your own individual post @Gramto6

5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

3,949 steps yesterday.

I am not pushing for any specific number, still taking it easy and just doing the things I have to do.

I think once I am healed I am going to look int treadmills, that way I can walk safely in one place. I'd like one with the scenic views, but I know that is going to be very expensive. I have an elliptical, but that for some reason makes my knees hurt (great place to hang my jacket though LOL!). The treadmill is way down the road at this point ...

Gram, when I was looking at stationary bikes I saw treadmills specially made so you can attach a tablet and work from an app.  If you have a tablet you can find apps for free online.  I also saw special attachments that can be put on a treadmill or bike that doesn't come with a mount for a tablet.  Some will also work with a laptop.  There are dozens of options on Amazon in every price range, some very reasonable.  The only reason I got the Echelon is because it came at a price I couldn't refuse from Costco.  Something almost as good as the Peloton but only $499 with a $300 rebate.  There was no way I was going to pass that one up.  I paid for a year of membership but it can also be used without a membership, and I just read that Echelon is going to add YouTube capability in a future update.

Also it's worth looking into finding a used treadmill from one of those local sites or even at the Goodwill or other second hand store.  They are often for sale at reasonable prices.  I've sold two treadmills in my life that way, and one I bought that way.

Of course if all else fails there's my 1990s solution which was to put my stationary bike and treadmill in the basement in front of a TV.  Unfortunately I don't have a basement anymore so right now the bike is in my foyer.  Not ideal, but it's important to me!

So far I've ridden 20 minutes today.  5 miles and 95 calories.  I could have done more but I don't want to do too much too soon.

• Like 5

Thanks @Yeah No!  The treadmill is an idea that just popped into my head after reading your post about "biking in NYC". I'm not doing anything until I am cleared by the dr. I see my pcp on the 18th for the Medicare required visit, I'll see what he thinks. I have until Jan 31 when I see the neurologist (?) to be totally cleared and the brace off. I will clear it with her too before I start seriously start looking.

My house is one story and very flat, I will have a walker handy if I feel unsteady so I really probably don't "need" a treadmill, it is just there in the back of my mind.

• Like 6

6500 steps on Sunday. I thought I had posted it... not pushing just doing a bunch of little things that needed doing.

6,090 steps yesterday. Again just doing little things, not pushing at all (lots of trips back and forth to get grabber....)

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, altopower said:

Good for you, @Gramto6!  That's way more steps than you were doing a few months ago. The grabber is a wonderful tool but it's so often not where you need it, which adds to the steps. How are you feeling?

Thanks @altopower! Feeling better each day I am home. Yeah a lot of those steps are going to get the grabber. I have a friend with back problems that went out and got several of them for rooms he needed them in. I'm content with one and getting in the few steps extra to get it.

First couple of days home, I'd leave it where I had used it last and never could find it when I needed it again, so now I leave it in the living room and return it there after each use.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Thanks @altopower! Feeling better each day I am home. Yeah a lot of those steps are going to get the grabber. I have a friend with back problems that went out and got several of them for rooms he needed them in. I'm content with one and getting in the few steps extra to get it.

I have four! I have a reacher in my bedroom to help me get dressed, one in the living room, another in the kitchen, and one next to the washing machine. Rolling my chair on the carpet isn't my favorite thing to do, so having a bunch helps me a lot, though I did start with just one. That drove me nuts. I also came home from rehab with a leg lifter and a sock aid and a few other fun tools. Who knew there were so many specialized things?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

You should see my collection of jar openers.  I think I'm up to 8.  Each works the best on one type of jar.

Please share. More than once I have bought a jar of salsa or spaghetti sauce that I couldn't get open. And I refuse to walk over the the neighbor's to ask them for help.

• Like 2

My favorite for those would be this style:

image.png.6c3ad79bd9ee54174d314682066744cb.png

It attaches underneath a cabinet so it's very stable. I hold the jar with both hands and it's very little stress on my joints

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2

6,757 steps yesterday. Probably close to half are getting the grabber and taking it back to it's place. Not pushing just doing what needs to be done. And surprisingly I am not in any pain for it or overly tired.

• Like 8
15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

6,757 steps yesterday. Probably close to half are getting the grabber and taking it back to it's place. Not pushing just doing what needs to be done. And surprisingly I am not in any pain for it or overly tired.

Wow, Gram, I am VERY happy to hear this!  As for me I'm up and down from day to day.  Yesterday I got in 6,822 steps, but today I was back down to only 4,888, although I also spent 15 minutes on my exercise bike, burning 50 calories.  I am also happy to report that I've recently lost another 2 lbs. for a total of 17 so far.  I had plateaued for a while around the holidays and then saw this sudden drop just two days ago.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Wow, Gram, I am VERY happy to hear this!  As for me I'm up and down from day to day.  Yesterday I got in 6,822 steps, but today I was back down to only 4,888, although I also spent 15 minutes on my exercise bike, burning 50 calories.  I am also happy to report that I've recently lost another 2 lbs. for a total of 17 so far.  I had plateaued for a while around the holidays and then saw this sudden drop just two days ago.

Congrats on the weight loss! 

Lawdy, it's so hard to maintain control over diet and exercise over the holidays.  My doctor was attempting to make me more serious about losing some weight, but was surprised at how strong my arms are. I told her it's due to having to pull my fat hieny and thick thighs up into an 18 wheeler 20 times a day.  Do that for a couple of months and she'd be weirdly strong in her upper torso, too.  😞😢😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 5

4,741 steps yesterday. Just doing what needs to be done, not pushing at all. Those days I was in the 6,000 step range  just proved to me I will get back there at some point and not to stress now.

• Like 11

6,060 steps yesterday. Again not trying to get the count just doing things... mostly going back and forth for the grabber it seems...LOL.

I don't look at counter during the day so as not to pressure myself for more steps.  So the next morning I am often surprised by what I have done.

• Like 13

Way to go, Gram!  I'm very happy to report that I've lost a total of 18.5 lbs. so far.  I don't know how I suddenly lost 1.5 more lbs. but I'm sure the exercise bike has something to do with it.  Today I "rode" through Singapore, which was very exciting.  I also like the Central Park ride which is trippy because I used to ride there years ago.  This bike is phenomenal.  If anyone is interested in it, here it is on the Costco site:

https://www.costco.com/echelon-ex-4s%2b-connect-bike-with-1-year-premier-membership-included.product.100846841.html

I had actually been "stalking" this bike online for two years but was finally ready to make the plunge due to a phenomenal deal and instant rebate, plus being able to try it out at the store beforehand, which was key for me as a shortie, because so many bikes are not made to be comfortable for people my height (5'1.5").

Don't listen to the negative reviews.  Many of them are from people that are commenting on the poor assembly they got from the delivery people or non-issues based on their own inability to assemble the bike properly or figure out how to get the screen up and running, which is really not that difficult. 

We picked it up at the store and put it together ourselves.  He was in charge of the hardware and I handled the software part of it.  I know, we are a cliché, LOL.

Also, we finally got a seat that's bigger and more comfortable for our older butts on Amazon, LOL.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Way to go, Gram!  I'm very happy to report that I've lost a total of 18.5 lbs. so far.  I don't know how I suddenly lost 1.5 more lbs. but I'm sure the exercise bike has something to do with it.  Today I "rode" through Singapore, which was very exciting.  I also like the Central Park ride which is trippy because I used to ride there years ago.  This bike is phenomenal.  If anyone is interested in it, here it is on the Costco site:

https://www.costco.com/echelon-ex-4s%2b-connect-bike-with-1-year-premier-membership-included.product.100846841.html

I had actually been "stalking" this bike online for two years but was finally ready to make the plunge due to a phenomenal deal and instant rebate, plus being able to try it out at the store beforehand, which was key for me as a shortie, because so many bikes are not made to be comfortable for people my height (5'1.5").

Don't listen to the negative reviews.  Many of them are from people that are commenting on the poor assembly they got from the delivery people or non-issues based on their own inability to assemble the bike properly or figure out how to get the screen up and running, which is really not that difficult. 

We picked it up at the store and put it together ourselves.  He was in charge of the hardware and I handled the software part of it.  I know, we are a cliché, LOL.

Also, we finally got a seat that's bigger and more comfortable for our older butts on Amazon, LOL.

I checked it out but it didn’t give a price. How much is it? I love my indoor cycle but it gets boring (even though I’m committed to doing it) would appreciate some fabulous views whilst riding — the upgrade would be nice! 

One of my dreams in life is to have a house large enough for an amazing home gym: treadmill, elliptical, cycle, recumbent, weights (about the size they have at a Holiday Inn Express). No more fighting traffic or waiting for machines. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I checked it out but it didn’t give a price. How much is it? I love my indoor cycle but it gets boring (even though I’m committed to doing it) would appreciate some fabulous views whilst riding — the upgrade would be nice! 

$499, thru 1/19. Then it appears to go up to $799.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

One of my dreams in life is to have a house large enough for an amazing home gym: treadmill, elliptical, cycle, recumbent, weights (about the size they have at a Holiday Inn Express). No more fighting traffic or waiting for machines. 

Currently the bike is in the foyer of my small house, so I wish that too.  I was considering getting a cheap folding bike online but I realized that this was a better deal and a much superior bike for the $$.

It's an incredible deal, especially because you get a year of free membership, which costs over $30 a month, although I'm reading that you can use the bike without a membership and also that Echelon is going to add YouTube capability in an upcoming software update.  It also has apps like Netflix and others that you can use from the tablet through your wifi connection as long as you have a membership to them.  I haven't tried that yet.  

Considering that the cheapest most basic Peloton, which doesn't even include some of what this bike offers (like cardio and strength training) is $1,445, I don't think it can be beat for the quality of the ride and all it comes with.  The only drawback from my perspective is that the screen is 15.6 inches vs. something like 22 inches for the Peloton.  But that is only a nitpick at this point because it's big enough.

There is a similar Echelon model on Amazon for $499 although it only comes with a month free membership and it doesn't have a screen among other things.  You'd have to use your own tablet and work from the app.

• Useful 2

5,987 steps yesterday.

I am getting better than I ever wanted using the grabber. I can pick up a single piece of kitty kibble, the other day 1/2 a salted peanut and last night a single grain of rice ...sheesh a skill I never strove to excel in!! LOL! The only good is I get a lot of extra steps in fetching it and putting it back where it belongs...

Nice work @Yeah No! The biking seems to be just what you needed. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I have an old treadmill that my daughter didn't want to take with her and I have been using it to strengthen my knees after an injury. With Chronic Fatigue I can only do a short time and need to do it when I have the energy as well. Mentally I can't last very long so I use youtube videos to help keep my mind going.  I found a channel where a man holds a camera and just walks places, he talks very little and allows the video to just be the experience of the walk.  I have walked through Paris and Edinburgh and along hiking trails and through mountains.  My slow walking on the treadmill is very close to his slow walking in the videos.

Maybe there is something similar with people riding on bikes?

• Like 5

7,098 steps yesterday!  Woohoo! 

No exercise bike but that's OK.  It figures that the Winter I buy an exercise bike is mild so I'm able to go out more to walk.  But it will get plenty of use anyway.

I just can't get over how much better I feel this year than last.  Last year I was suffering from inexplicable fibromyalgia-like pains that went away almost overnight after I started taking B vitamins.  I had stopped taking vitamins for a while because my gut was acid-y and they bothered it.  My gastro. had said it was OK to continue taking Prilosec  after my gallbladder operation and I thought I needed it because when I would try going off it I would have symptoms again.  But then I read that quitting it "cold turkey" can make you have a relapse of acid symptoms and that you need to wean off of it slowly.  So I did that and realized that my gut was fine and I didn't need to keep taking it.  I had been taking it for about a year following my gallbladder removal and I'm sure I needed it for a while, but not that long.  So to make a long story short I started taking all my supplements again, including vitamin D and it's been like a new lease on life and proof that everything about the human body including state of mind is all interrelated.  It's also a lesson to me that after a "certain age" everything we do can have a big effect on us, for better or worse, and that supplements and exercise can make a big difference.

@Gramto6, you are an amazing inspiration.  You were down for the count but you didn't let that deter you.  You got right back up again and back "in the saddle" again.  Good for you and thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 7

Thanks @Yeah No! So glad you. are feeling better! I am surprised that I am too, despite what I have been through. I think being around so many different people, despite the reason, snapped me out of a lingering depression as a result of being so isolated during the heat of the Pandemic.

7,089 steps yesterday. A little tidying up in preparation for OT interview today and another laundry. (Still catching up on that.) Tomorrow I see my pcp for wellness check after being hospitalized, Medicare required. I am hoping I have gained back some weight. 

ETA: I went into hospital weighing 138#, came home from rehab weighing 121#. I'm 5'4" and that is just too skinny for me (and my. drs).

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 3
  • Love 6

Wowsa! 7,642 steps yesterday!!!

I really  am getting stronger each day. Today will be busy too with pcp appointment. Kind of reinforces my decision to forego all the offerings of the Home Health folks. I really don't need any of the services they offer...

Yeah, the only thing the OT person did that was helpful was assemble my walker. Wouldn't replace bulb as afraid of liability if she broke something.

She wanted to ask me a questioner that would. take 2 hours to complete. It was to qualify for physical therapy, a social worker, speech therapist, therapy, etc, etc... none of which I need, and I told them so. At rehab they said these people would give me contacts for people that can install the grab bars. Nope, I have to find someone myself. Hopefully my neighbor the welder can recommend someone. They were gone in about 1/2 hour since I declined all the "services" I didn't have to fill out the form.

At least I got the walker assembled... though I really don't need it, it is just comforting to know I have it.

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Wowsa! 7,642 steps yesterday!!!

I really  am getting stronger each day. Today will be busy too with pcp appointment. Kind of reinforces my decision to forego all the offerings of the Home Health folks. I really don't need any of the services they offer...

Yeah, the only thing the OT person did that was helpful was assemble my walker. Wouldn't replace bulb as afraid of liability if she broke something.

She wanted to ask me a questioner that would. take 2 hours to complete. It was to qualify for physical therapy, a social worker, speech therapist, therapy, etc, etc... none of which I need, and I told them so. At rehab they said these people would give me contacts for people that can install the grab bars. Nope, I have to find someone myself. Hopefully my neighbor the welder can recommend someone. They were gone in about 1/2 hour since I declined all the "services" I didn't have to fill out the form.

At least I got the walker assembled... though I really don't need it, it is just comforting to know I have it.

Glad to know you are doing so well!  And knees?  No more pain?  Is a "Yay" appropriate here?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

Glad to know you are doing so well!  And knees?  No more pain?  Is a "Yay" appropriate here?

Knees seem better, no real explanation why. Maybe the "enforced" rest and PT at rehab finally got them going in the right direction??

• Like 8
On 1/16/2023 at 9:57 AM, Gramto6 said:

5,987 steps yesterday.

I am getting better than I ever wanted using the grabber. I can pick up a single piece of kitty kibble, the other day 1/2 a salted peanut and last night a single grain of rice ...sheesh a skill I never strove to excel in!! LOL! The only good is I get a lot of extra steps in fetching it and putting it back where it belongs...

Nice work @Yeah No! The biking seems to be just what you needed. Keep up the good work.

Ok, I'm impressed!  😁  I want to get a grabber thingie for stuff on high shelves, I never thought about rice.  Maybe I could use mine to grab doggie treats off the floor.  😉

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

I want to get a grabber thingie for stuff on high shelves, I never thought about rice.  Maybe I could use mine to grab doggie treats off the floor.  😉

You definitely need one to get stuff off of high shelves. I keep one in the kitchen and the closet for that reason. I also use one to pick up things like pills that fall on the floor, cat treats and kibble, cat toys, clothes from the bottom of the washing machine that I can't quite reach. My bedroom one I use to get dressed as well. I'm a pro!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
On 1/17/2023 at 9:44 AM, Gramto6 said:

Thanks @Yeah No! So glad you. are feeling better! I am surprised that I am too, despite what I have been through. I think being around so many different people, despite the reason, snapped me out of a lingering depression as a result of being so isolated during the heat of the Pandemic.

7,089 steps yesterday. A little tidying up in preparation for OT interview today and another laundry. (Still catching up on that.) Tomorrow I see my pcp for wellness check after being hospitalized, Medicare required. I am hoping I have gained back some weight. 

ETA: I went into hospital weighing 138#, came home from rehab weighing 121#. I'm 5'4" and that is just too skinny for me (and my. drs).

Thanks, @Gramto6!  Yeah I relate to that pandemic isolation.  I'm trying my best to get out more, see friends, do things.  The Winter is hard for me because I get Seasonal Affective Disorder.  This year it hasn't been so bad, and I think the exercise and the healthy lifestyle I've been living has a lot to do with that.  Plus the vitamin D I'm taking, and the fact that I'm not as isolated as I was for the previous 2 years.  It's amazing how everything is interrelated, isn't it?

As far as your knee goes, I've found that whatever hurts usually goes away if I stay off my feet for a couple of days.  It's hard to do because I'm usually so active every day but sometimes it's necessary.  

Today I only did 4,520 steps but yesterday I did 8,546.  No exercise bike, but it's going to rain tomorrow so I'm staying home and will do it then.

• Like 6

6,766 steps yesterday.

Didn't expect this high a number with all the sitting driving to and dr and sitting at dr's office.  Guess the small grocery shopping I did on way home helped even as small as it was.

• Like 7

5,814 steps yesterday.

Was kind of tired so really took it pretty easy. I guess the trip to dr and shopping yesterday wore me out. I went to bed 2 hours earlier than I have been lately, and that is already 2 hours earlier than before the fall.

At least the good news was I gained back 5#, considering I lost around 17# in the 19 days in hospital and rehab that was good.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 10

Just back from the retina doctor. My vision suddenly changed in the right eye last Thursday, with lots of floaters, blurry smears, flashes of light on the outside, and now it's just like looking through a dirty windshield. Surprise! I have a retina tear with fluid leaking out and almost a detachment. Eeeeek!  He lasered it for about 5 minutes and told me to keep my head up for the next two weeks. Not quite sure how I'm going to feed or clean up after the cats without looking down, but I'll figure something out.

• Hugs 11

It is a challenge to be sure. I still have 2+ weeks on back protocol including not bending, twisting, reaching, or lifting more than 10 pounds (think weight of a gallon of milk). Have been doing it for a couple of weeks already.

I had a neighbor lift my dry and canned cat food on to chairs by the doors where I feed them. They are ferals so not really into special treatment. I have pizza tins on both porches and just scoop and toss the food onto them. I fill their water dishes w/out bending (most of the water ends up in the bowls) LOL.

I do laundry by lifting the clothes into washer and dryer with my grabber tool.

After I had my double mastectomy, I slept in the recliner, upright for about a week so that is doable if you can't lie down in bed. (Now with the back injury I can sleep in my bed...thank goodness).

I have gradually gotten all my foods on the kitchen counter along with paper plates and plastic bowls all with in straight across reaching. So far it is working although rather awkward. 

I keep telling myself this is not forever, this too shall pass.

I don't know if any of this will help you, but maybe you will get some ideas from it. 

Take care, hope you heal quickly!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, altopower said:

Just back from the retina doctor. My vision suddenly changed in the right eye last Thursday, with lots of floaters, blurry smears, flashes of light on the outside, and now it's just like looking through a dirty windshield. Surprise! I have a retina tear with fluid leaking out and almost a detachment. Eeeeek!  He lasered it for about 5 minutes and told me to keep my head up for the next two weeks. Not quite sure how I'm going to feed or clean up after the cats without looking down, but I'll figure something out.

Bend at the knees, pick up the cat bowls by feel and put them on the counter. Open the cat food. Pour it in by feel. Bend at the knees, lay the bowls on the floor.

(This really sucks. I'm not trying to make light of it. You can do this, though.)

• Like 5

6,195 steps yesterday.

Today the grab bars will be installed, shower heads switched, and hall light replaced. Yay! Getting close to back to "normal" here!

Now I am counting the days until the brace can be off forever!! Jan 31st is appointment with the dr that will decide that.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 12
13 hours ago, General Days said:

Bend at the knees, pick up the cat bowls by feel and put them on the counter. Open the cat food. Pour it in by feel. Bend at the knees, lay the bowls on the floor.

Sounds good. Except I'm in a wheelchair. I fill the water bowl from a water bottle and did okay with the dry cat food; the girls don't like the canned stuff which is okay by me. Litterbox is harder but my neighbor is coming over to help with that. Just did laundry the day before the retina visit so I'm okay for a bit on that. I'll get my health aide to do it for me when she comes on Tuesday. At least the headache is gone. I'm very grateful for my snazzy new lift chair which makes for comfy sleeping when I can't use the bed. 

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and support!

• Like 10

6,105 steps yesterday.

Lots of following the handyman around, just to see how things were going...   He did a great job and spent a long time here. I was kind of afraid of what the bill would be and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be $88.00!!

• Like 9
On 1/20/2023 at 4:56 PM, Gramto6 said:

I had a neighbor lift my dry and canned cat food on to chairs by the doors where I feed them. They are ferals so not really into special treatment. I have pizza tins on both porches and just scoop and toss the food onto them. I fill their water dishes w/out bending (most of the water ends up in the bowls) LOL.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:10 AM, altopower said:

Sounds good. Except I'm in a wheelchair. I fill the water bowl from a water bottle and did okay with the dry cat food; the girls don't like the canned stuff which is okay by me.

Not sure if something like this could help with pouring from above.  A funnel, but with a hose attached. Usually found in auto parts, farm stores or hardware stores. I have seen lots of different sizes and shapes.  I thought the one with the handle looked "handy"

funnel.thumb.jpg.025b1fb486887cf7d048a702f0bfa4a4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
On 1/8/2023 at 10:18 AM, Absolom said:

As an intermediate step there are Walk Away the Pounds videos free on Youtube.  If you have a Roku, Fire, etc, for your TV, you can watch them and walk.  I like them because I do it by the minutes.  

I love walk away the pounds. Great when it’s super cold and icy outside. It’s more of a workout than you think!

• Like 2

5,351 steps Sunday.

I may be doing a bit too much as I am exhausted by about 10PM and that is so early for the "old" me. And then I am getting up just after 7AM which is so early for the "old" me... I guess this is the new me???

4,951 steps Monday. Was feeling tired so took it easy.

Looked at some of those Walk Away the Pounds videos on You Tube. May give them a try after dr releases me from brace and back protocols. Next Tuesday I hope!

• Like 10
On 1/23/2023 at 8:02 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I love walk away the pounds. Great when it’s super cold and icy outside. It’s more of a workout than you think!

I just tried this and it was great! Thank you and thanks @Absolomwho posted about it initially!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1