Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

3,453 steps yesterday.

Sadly had a fairly bad nose bleed late in the afternoon. I was just sitting quietly in the recliner and bleed started. Took close to 45 minutes to get it stopped. Feeling exhausted today...

• Hugs 8

Discovered last night that I am developing pressure sores on my butt. Not good, but not a surprise since I sit most of the time in my wheelchair or lift chair. Reading up on best ways to handle this so it doesn't get worse.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 11
22 hours ago, altopower said:

Discovered last night that I am developing pressure sores on my butt. Not good, but not a surprise since I sit most of the time in my wheelchair or lift chair. Reading up on best ways to handle this so it doesn't get worse.

I think I’d have the sores evaluated. There are different treatments for (4) different stages. Also, once diagnosed, insurance may cover a seat cushion that would be very helpful.

Rolling up a bath towel is the simplest way to relieve pressure, placing it under a leg, and alternating, so the butt isn’t touching anything. 

Repositioning every 2 hours is the norm for someone in bed. For a person in a wheelchair, it’s every 15 minutes.

Good luck, hoping for quick healing for you.

• Useful 7

Thanks, @ginger90. Great advice! I did some research and have already had a telehealth visit with my primary care doctor. My spots are Stage 1 but we dont' want them to get beyond that. I'm sitting on a nice gel/cell wheelchair cushion on my primary regular chair.

But yikes, repositioning every 15 min in a wheelchair? Did not know that and need to rethink how I manage that thing. 

Also actively upping my protein and hydration levels, which will help. Mostly I had just forgotten that this was something I needed to watch out for. The wheelchair is still pretty new to me. Thanks for the support and practical advice.

• Hugs 12
36 minutes ago, altopower said:

Thanks, @ginger90. Great advice! I did some research and have already had a telehealth visit with my primary care doctor. My spots are Stage 1 but we dont' want them to get beyond that. I'm sitting on a nice gel/cell wheelchair cushion on my primary regular chair.

But yikes, repositioning every 15 min in a wheelchair? Did not know that and need to rethink how I manage that thing. 

Also actively upping my protein and hydration levels, which will help. Mostly I had just forgotten that this was something I needed to watch out for. The wheelchair is still pretty new to me. Thanks for the support and practical advice.

So glad you got an appointment! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5,462 steps yesterday. Unfortunately I got very sick just before dinner and threw up several times. But no bloody nose! Another day! :)

Unfortunately my furnace broke down last evening. I had water running in a couple of taps, but I guess not enough because about an hour later, it hit 0° outside and my pipes froze...sheesh. Just checked current outside temp, -2°.

At least, knock on wood, I have power!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Hugs 6
33 minutes ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

You were having quite the evening @gramto6!  And none of it good!  How are you feeling today?  Guess I won’t complain about my 35 degree morning here!  

I'm exhausted, and cold!  I don't want to call my neighbor too early to see if he can replace the filters. I hope that is the only problem with the furnace.  I'm not even going to try to find someone to fix the pipes until I have heat again.

• Hugs 5

Since you have power what about a little portable heater at least for the room you are mostly in?  

I grew up and lived my first 30 years in Southern CA.  The last 32 in Oregon and while I like the changing seasons here all the winter prep I am still adjusting to especially since being divorced past 10 years.  

• Like 2

7,762 steps yesterday. I guess being bone cold ups the steps!

My neighbor brought me over 2 more space heaters, hopefully I'll get warmer soon. I called a Heater repair man and my Pump repair man, waiting for their return calls. This is their busy time of year so don't know how long it will take...

• Hugs 1
  • Love 4

6,046 steps yesterday. I was kind of a mess yesterday, but feeling better today. I already at 8:30AM today have 1,294 steps under my belt.

No replies from repair people yet. Probably not on a Sunday, but hope for Monday! Can't wait for the house to be warm in all the rooms again!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Hugs 5

4,692 steps yesterday. Guess I didn't move around as much yesterday.

The heating guy is coming between 11AM and 1PM today!! My neighbor apparently prodded him to get back to me. He's a good neighbor! Once my heat is up and running, I'll deal with the water issue.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 5

As of 12:15 PM today I have heat again!!! 🙂 Was expensive, but what else could I do?? The Heating guy said the water pipes run alongside heating ducts.  I do have trickles of water in 4 faucets. May wait a day or two to see if the heat clears the pipes. I have plenty of water on hand, just have to heat it on the stove for bathing. If it isn't flowing by Wednesday I will recall the pump guy.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I can’t imagine being without heat in that cold!  I was without power for 5 hours this am and had my two year old grandson with me.   We snuggled under blankets and did lots of reading and puzzles.  But sure was happy when power was restored.   It was high 30s here!

glad you have heat and can be warm and cozy :).  Hope pipes thaw.   Thank you for the reminder to dribble water in faucets…20s overnight here!  

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

I can’t imagine being without heat in that cold!  I was without power for 5 hours this am and had my two year old grandson with me.   We snuggled under blankets and did lots of reading and puzzles.  But sure was happy when power was restored.   It was high 30s here!

glad you have heat and can be warm and cozy :).  Hope pipes thaw.   Thank you for the reminder to dribble water in faucets…20s overnight here!  

The only saving grace is that I had power! It was a balmy 20° when I got up this morning and today's high was 33° [heat wave ;) ].  I am exhausted from the stress of the whole situation, but now that I have heat again, I am beginning to relax. I.m going to give the heat a day or so to thaw the pipes. No water is an easily doable thing, what with all the bottled water. No heat in these temps not so much.

• Like 5

@Gramto6 - I love your resilient spirit! It's worse when the power goes off. Here in Texas we usually have more problems in the summer when we lose AC and it's 102 outside, but I've had cold winters in Maine and Boston so know what those are like without power. Hang in there and take care of yourself and those kitties!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

6,818 steps yesterday. So nice to be warm again!

Water still just trickling out of faucets, I'll see what happens today and tomorrow call my pump guy again for a fix if needs be. I have plenty of bottled water to get me by so not so worried about that.

It seems this cold snap is passing. This morning when I got up it was a nice 22°, today's forecast is 33°/14°. "They" say this is going to be a very cold Winter, coldest in a long time. sigh...

• Like 3
  • Love 2

6,533 steps yesterday.

The pump repair man is due here any minute! Hoping for as quick a fix as possible. Still just trickles of water out of faucets but it is getting more steady so hope that is a good sign.

Not sure if I will go out today, I can have my Thanksgiving Friday or even Saturday...

ETA: I must have done something pretty bad to get the Universe this mad at me. The pump guy has come and gone and for a brief 1/2 hour I had water, then I heard a noise under the kitchen sink and found a leaking hose!! Water spraying everywhere! so off goes that sink... called my plumber hopefully they can get out today but I have no true hopes they can/will.  Almost made it back to normal...almost. :(

Not going anywhere until Friday at least, I think I am jinxed and not going to risk it!!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 2
On 10/14/2022 at 2:50 PM, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, I know in my heart of hearts that is true, but I keep hoping...

I'm making a batch of drunken raisins (golden raisins soaked in gin) that are supposed to help with arthritis pain... I'll try anything once or twice.... :)

At least you are still moving — that’s so important. It’s normal to feel what you’re feeling. 

I’m going through a similar thing with my hip surgery and arthritis, currently I’ve been indoor cycling every day and moving towards speed walking. I may never be able to run a marathon distance ever again — maybe not even a half-marathon — but it’s something I’ve had to come to terms with (and mourn). I’m older. Slower. Injured, permanently. Not as fit as 15 years ago. But life is short and I just wanna be able to enjoy what I’ve got left and if that means being slower and doing less, okay. There might be sad “poor me” days in between, but moving every day keeps me going, even if it’s not where I once was. I still cry about it though, especially when old race pictures pop up (damn you Facebook memories). 

Hugs. Keep going, within your limitations. 

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1

6,280 steps yesterday. Thanks @TurtlePower!

Hoping to hear from the plumber sooner than later.

Well, my brain is mush! No wonder considering all the stress lately. I somehow thought today was Thanksgiving! Passing by my wall calendar yesterday, I saw it is next week!! Sheesh, at least one stressor melted away with that...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

6,280 steps yesterday. Thanks @TurtlePower!

Hoping to hear from the plumber sooner than later.

Well, my brain is mush! No wonder considering all the stress lately. I somehow thought today was Thanksgiving! Passing by my wall calendar yesterday, I saw it is next week!! Sheesh, at least one stressor melted away with that...

Gram, glad to hear your step count is up and your bloody noses are down!  Keep the faith, LOL!  

My weight loss has been excruciatingly slow even with 1,200 calories a day that I figure out diligently in my food diary and exercise (I got 6,500 steps today!), but that's the story of my life.  I have lost 12 pounds altogether now - another two since the end of October, which has averaged out to about 1 lb. per week or so.  My husband has hit a plateau but he lost 40 lbs. since July and is very close to a normal weight so he's not doing so bad.

• Applause 7
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Gram, glad to hear your step count is up and your bloody noses are down!  Keep the faith, LOL!  

My weight loss has been excruciatingly slow even with 1,200 calories a day that I figure out diligently in my food diary and exercise (I got 6,500 steps today!), but that's the story of my life.  I have lost 12 pounds altogether now - another two since the end of October, which has averaged out to about 1 lb. per week or so.  My husband has hit a plateau but he lost 40 lbs. since July and is very close to a normal weight so he's not doing so bad.

This can be frustrating. I’m going through a similar thing trying to maintain my weight, given I had surgery and wasn’t working as hard as usual. I’m doing strength training harder than anything right now in hopes it jacks up my metabolism (and honestly it gets my heart rate going harder than cardio does sometimes). I can’t run, just started walking unassisted and rely on my indoor cycle. 

Keep going and adjust when necessary. Weight loss/fitness is a lifelong journey and it’s not always easy, especially when you feel you’ve stalled. I feel that, too. 

• Hugs 6

5,214 steps yesterday.

Yesterday's high was 25°, when I went to bed last night it was -3°. I left 2 faucets running not a trickle but more like a pencil or larger. Woke this morning to frozen pipes again.   😕 Temp outside right now 8:30AM is -10°. Today's forecast is 24°/4° or 24°/-3° depending on which site I look at. Got call in early to pump guy as I know he will be busy today.

I was actually starting to feel fairly normal again, but now I feel beaten down again. Haven't heard from plumber, but since I'm frozen, not much they can do at this point. I was going to go shopping today, but need to wait until water is back on. This is going to be a hard Winter (and it isn't even Winter yet!)...

• Hugs 8

6,037 steps yesterday. If I do work up the courage to go out today may do better with the steps...

18° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 29°/-4°. Right now it is slowly going up,  was -11° when I got up just after 8AM  now -10°. Tomorrow's daytime is still below freezing but starting Monday daytime temps are over freezing and by Tuesday in the 40's. Can't wait. This was the kind of weather I had when I first moved here, took a while to adjust but then it was warmer, not so many -0° temps. I guess the worm has turned and the extreme cold is back.

Where the repair people stand: Pump guy this afternoon, or Sunday. The plumber Monday, if I have water.  I just want this all to be over...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 5

4,209 steps yesterday. I am beginning to think stress is affecting my steps. I am so tense and exhausted all the time. I want my normal life back!

No pump guy yesterday, if he is no show today, I'll have to cancel plumber for Monday.

-3° outside right now at 9:20AM. Forecast for today is 32°/-3° a warm of of sorts...

ETA: As of 12:30 PM I have water again! It is supposed to be -3° tonight so I will keep the heat up and faucets full on open and pray. Pump guy put an oil based heater in the pump house...hope that works better.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Hugs 8

5,282 steps yesterday. I definitely am going shopping today so that should help count.

Made it through a below 0° night and still have water!! Yay! 3 faucets running full on over night and the new heater seemed to do the trick. 

Plumber this afternoon, and all should be back to "normal".

• Love 8

I was standing up last week making my sweet potato casserole to take to Friendsgiving, when my ankle gave out and I fell backwards into my wheelchair. The good news: I didn't land on the floor and nothing is broken. Bad news: I have a lump on my back that's probably a pulled muscle from where my back hit the arm of the chair. Oops. When I wake up, I can hardly move. Sitting now with a heating pad on my back and it feels oh so good. 

• Hugs 11

6,022 steps yesterday. Didn't do all the shopping I wanted to, check book said whoa girl too many expenses from freezing.... Looks like chicken wings and baby red potatoes for Thanksgiving. $$ from investments coming Friday so Saturday will be Turkey and pie!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Another meager day, 3,763 steps yesterday.  I guess my get up and go got up and went somewhere else.... hoping for better soon.

You're doing your best. Some days that will be more steps than other days. Hang in there and give yourself credit for what you're able to accomplish.

• Love 8

I feel like there are always things conspiring to lower my step count.  Now thanks to all my walking I suddenly have a painful bunion on my left big toe that sometimes acts up and even causes some nerve pain.  I'm not loving the thought of having surgery to "fix" it either.  I'm also looking at possible surgery for fibroids and bad arthritis in my left thumb so I don't need another one to add to the pile right now.

@Gramto6, I think you are doing great.  I'm 64 and these days I consider 5,000 steps in a day a major accomplishment.  Yesterday I did about 6,500.  Today only 4,800.  And I used to be very athletic and did long range bicycle riding for years.  Since my post menopausal weight gain about 8 years ago I haven't been up to bike riding.  I'm not THAT heavy but somehow my old bike is not easy for me to manage anymore and  I would need to buy one that is more "senior friendly".   I'm also hoping to get back down to a weight that feels more comfortable on a bike.  So for now, I'm doing my best like you are!

By the way, my doctors are all thrilled when they hear how much walking I do.  They tell me I'm doing better than I think, and so are you!

• Like 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I feel like there are always things conspiring to lower my step count.  Now thanks to all my walking I suddenly have a painful bunion on my left big toe that sometimes acts up and even causes some nerve pain.  I'm not loving the thought of having surgery to "fix" it either.  I'm also looking at possible surgery for fibroids and bad arthritis in my left thumb so I don't need another one to add to the pile right now.

@Gramto6, I think you are doing great.  I'm 64 and these days I consider 5,000 steps in a day a major accomplishment.  Yesterday I did about 6,500.  Today only 4,800.  And I used to be very athletic and did long range bicycle riding for years.  Since my post menopausal weight gain about 8 years ago I haven't been up to bike riding.  I'm not THAT heavy but somehow my old bike is not easy for me to manage anymore and  I would need to buy one that is more "senior friendly".   I'm also hoping to get back down to a weight that feels more comfortable on a bike.  So for now, I'm doing my best like you are!

By the way, my doctors are all thrilled when they hear how much walking I do.  They tell me I'm doing better than I think, and so are you!

Awwww I empathise. I’m struggling mentally with steps because I used to do so much more. If that’s not bad enough, Facebook keeps reminding me to register for the Green Bay Marathon in May and I’m not allowed to even run until April. Another year freaking lost to circumstances (2020/2021 it was covid, 2022 it was my hip and 2023 it’ll still be my hip). Thanks again social media for reminding me I’m washed up and broken (I swear social media’s goal is to make us hate ourselves). 

I’m trying to come to grips with that fact I’m no longer a competitive athlete. It’s hard because that was my persona for so long — the athletic runner. I feel like people will judge me for what I’ve become, even though we all know people age and with that, they lose their former athletic abilities. Adding on to that an eating disorder and fear of weight gain and it creates a monster inside me. 

I keep reminding myself to be grateful I’m even on the indoor cycle and to not worry what others think — I have no room in my life for mean people but deep down, I let them get to me. Emotionally I’m vulnerable and even weak.

Sorry for the ramble. It had to come out. 

• Hugs 9
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Thanks again social media for reminding me I’m washed up and broken (I swear social media’s goal is to make us hate ourselves). 

I think you're amazing! Forget social media and trust us. Things stop working the way they did when we were younger for most of us, and having to adjust to a new self-image is hard. Do what you can with the limits you have. 

2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I feel like people will judge me for what I’ve become, even though we all know people age and with that, they lose their former athletic abilities. Adding on to that an eating disorder and fear of weight gain and it creates a monster inside me. 

I keep reminding myself to be grateful I’m even on the indoor cycle and to not worry what others think — I have no room in my life for mean people but deep down, I let them get to me. Emotionally I’m vulnerable and even weak.

Some people probably will judge you even if they say nothing. And it's hard to let go of having that cut deep. But people who really know you see YOU and not the things you can't do anymore. I don't think you're weak at all, just very vulnerable. I'm proud of you for being able to articulate the frustration, fear, and pain. Do one nice thing for yourself today and give yourself credit for doing it. I'm here to support you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

I hear you @TurtlePower, I was a nationally competitive gymnast in college, ran 1/2 marathons and more 10Ks than I can count. In later years hiking and backpacking and lots of long walks.

I turned 73 last June and the years have not been kind to me. I have accepted I will never do as much as I once did, though I have days when I get frustrated with my step count...

Le sigh, don't know where my energy went... 3,159 steps yesterday.

• Hugs 5
4 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I hear you @TurtlePower, I was a nationally competitive gymnast in college, ran 1/2 marathons and more 10Ks than I can count. In later years hiking and backpacking and lots of long walks.

I turned 73 last June and the years have not been kind to me. I have accepted I will never do as much as I once did, though I have days when I get frustrated with my step count...

Le sigh, don't know where my energy went... 3,159 steps yesterday.

I know.  I'm very close in age and I say this kindly.  It's called normal.  My similar age friends and neighbors and I have all had to accept new and increasing limitations.  One fell and broke her back thinking she could climb and jump like she used to do.  Another cracked her back because she thought she could still help move furniture.  I'm recovering from surgery after a fall.  It isn't fun, but it's our new lives.  Trying to age gracefully isn't a skill that we've been taught, but one I'm finding I need to cultivate.  

• Hugs 7
  • Love 1

I may be an optimist, but try to find the positive in looking forward.  Things like not worrying about performance and goals.  Giving up perfectionism in housekeeping.  My neighbor frets about fruit from the trees "going to waste" and her carpet not getting vacuumed on schedule.  That's what created the situation for her breaking her back.  I say let the fruit fall and turn into compost rather than stressing over it.  The carpet doesn't need vacuuming as often since all the kids are grown and out of the house.  Plus the stress only ages us faster. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1