Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

5,889 steps yesterday. Lots of sitting and waiting at the dr's.

I ordered a couple ace bandages from Amazon. They came yesterday and actually make my knee feel a bit better w/out pills or patches.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Dr appointment went well. No torn meniscus, arthritis is the dx. Have to admit that made me happy... He gave me a steroid shot in the knee and it is already feeling better. Hope it lasts a while. He said I could get the shot every 3 months if needed.  Will see how that goes. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Dr appointment went well. No torn meniscus, arthritis is the dx. Have to admit that made me happy... He gave me a steroid shot in the knee and it is already feeling better. Hope it lasts a while. He said I could get the shot every 3 months if needed.  Will see how that goes. 

I’m so glad you got an answer. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4,902 steps yesterday. Lots of driving and then sitting at dr's.

On the upside, hardly any pain at all and I slept better last night than I have since the fall. Still going to take it a bit easy to make sure the steroid shot is truly working.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

6,151 steps yesterday. Still being careful. But I do see an improvement.

Today I definitely will go out to run a few errands, but think I will put a Lidocaine patch on just to be safe.

Now that you know it's arthritis and not a torn meniscus, you can direct your energies to easing that affliction without worrying about the possibility of making matters worse by walking with a torn meniscus. 💜

• Like 5
  • Love 2

So. I need a hip replacement. Right hip is bone on bone and everyone’s like “but you’re so young.” Well, that’s what hiking 10-18 miles a day carrying 50lb of supplies and rescue gear does to a person.

I can’t run and am even struggling on my indoor cycle. There’s sharks and jellyfish in the ocean, otherwise I’d be swimming. I’ve been working out on crutches, which is actually pretty great (total triceps workout too). There’s NO WAY I’m gonna allow myself to lose my fitness. And because I’m not burning as many calories, I’ve had to scale back my intake even further (Hashimoto’s, PCOS makes it even harder for me).

Down to 1,000 calories a day, mostly fish, veg and fruit and lots of water. Gotta do what I gotta do or I’ll gain weight. I will not let that happen. 

• Hugs 7
40 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

So. I need a hip replacement. Right hip is bone on bone and everyone’s like “but you’re so young.” Well, that’s what hiking 10-18 miles a day carrying 50lb of supplies and rescue gear does to a person.

I can’t run and am even struggling on my indoor cycle. There’s sharks and jellyfish in the ocean, otherwise I’d be swimming. I’ve been working out on crutches, which is actually pretty great (total triceps workout too). There’s NO WAY I’m gonna allow myself to lose my fitness. And because I’m not burning as many calories, I’ve had to scale back my intake even further (Hashimoto’s, PCOS makes it even harder for me).

Down to 1,000 calories a day, mostly fish, veg and fruit and lots of water. Gotta do what I gotta do or I’ll gain weight. I will not let that happen. 

I put off my hip replacement way too long. They get you up either same or next day.  And there is physical therapy involved. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I put off my hip replacement way too long. They get you up either same or next day.  And there is physical therapy involved. 

Everyone I talked to who’s has one said there somewhat easy to recover from. I’m feeling positive about it, unless insurance gives me a problem. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Everyone I talked to who’s has one said there somewhat easy to recover from. I’m feeling positive about it, unless insurance gives me a problem. 

Hope all goes well for you @TurtlePower, sending good thoughts your way.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

You'll need to identify your limits and it may be you have to walk and rest then walk and rest or add a different kind of exercise.

I have been for a long while now. That is why I barely get to 5,000 steps most days instead of the 10,000+ I used to do.  I'm still on easy until I'm sure the steroid shot has fully clicked in. It is better each day dr said could be 72 hours before it is fully on board... that would be this afternoon hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

Is this just a routine appt?  Are you feeling ok?  

Apparently 7 years ago I had an echo and there was a murmer found. No one bothered to tell me until last month when my pcp mentioned it. (Same pcp that ordered the original test.) I feel fine, just one more thing to worry about...

Another low day...3,242 steps yesterday. Driving to hospital, waiting for appointment, 45 mins for appointment, driving home, not much time left for walking... knee is better, some days a little more painful than others but on the whole, better.

• Hugs 5
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Apparently 7 years ago I had an echo and there was a murmer found. No one bothered to tell me until last month when my pcp mentioned it. (Same pcp that ordered the original test.) I feel fine, just one more thing to worry about...

Wow. Though I know a guy who had a minor accident and when getting the results of his Xray the doctor asked - how's the cancer doing? Apparently 3 yrs earlier he had some routine tests but his pcp never bothered to contact him with the results and he assumed no news is good news. He feels fine too, but has more worries.

Edited by deirdra
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 1
21 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Another low day...3,242 steps yesterday. Driving to hospital, waiting for appointment, 45 mins for appointment, driving home, not much time left for walking... knee is better, some days a little more painful than others but on the whole, better.

Gram, this article should make you feel better.  Here's a quote from it referring to a study involving 72 year old women:

They concluded that for these older women, it only took about 4,000 steps each day to boost longevity and improve health. Those who averaged 4,400 steps per day were 40% less likely to pass away in the months and years following the study than those who took just 2,700.

The article talks about how realistic it is for seniors to be able to get in high step counts every day.  I get around 3,000-7,000 steps per day depending on what I'm doing.  Some days I have to go to the doctor or spend time doing stuff at home not racking up high step counts.  I find that if I get too much exercise it has an adverse affect on me in the form of increased aches and pains, fatigue, hunger, etc.  If I walk 7,000 steps a day for a few days in a row I pay for it and have to have a day or more of "down time" to recuperate.  I think the sweet spot is different for everyone depending on their issues, but the article tries to debunk the myth of 10,000 steps being a "one size fits all" goal for everyone at every age.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The article talks about how realistic it is for seniors to be able to get in high step counts every day.  I get around 3,000-7,000 steps per day depending on what I'm doing.  Some days I have to go to the doctor or spend time doing stuff at home not racking up high step counts.  I find that if I get too much exercise it has an adverse affect on me in the form of increased aches and pains, fatigue, hunger, etc.  If I walk 7,000 steps a day for a few days in a row I pay for it and have to have a day or more of "down time" to recuperate.  I think the sweet spot is different for everyone depending on their issues, but the article tries to debunk the myth of 10,000 steps being a "one size fits all" goal for everyone at every age.

Thank you very much for the reminder.   I needed someone else to say the bolded part.  I have trouble remembering "to give in" when my body says that's enough for now.

• Like 9
On 8/26/2022 at 10:03 AM, Yeah No said:

Gram, this article should make you feel better.  Here's a quote from it referring to a study involving 72 year old women:

I read that between 5,000-6,000 is an acceptable amount for most people.   

On my work days I usually get between 12K-20K depending on if I have to work more than 8 hours.

Today, we took out the blow up kayak, that I bought her for Christmas last year.  We were only out for about an hour but it was a real workout.  I didn't have my fit bit on because it's not water proof.  So I don't know what type of workout I got.  But I feel pretty tired right now.  

• Like 3

4,171 steps yesterday. I really thought my knee would be better by now but still having some pain...

Really overslept today! Got up really early then went back to bed and slept late. There were many very aggravated kitties that their breakfasts were late! :) 

• Love 5

In the sad facts of life column, osteoarthritis can't be cured or really improved.  We only get treatments and methods to deal with the pain or try to prevent pain.  I was talked into a steroid injection once and I'll never do it again.  It is only a possible temporary solution and it didn't really help me.  There are some over the counter anti-inflammatory creams you can try.  Heat and/or ice help me quite a bit.  I use a menthol-eucalyptus pain relief cream that works for me.  I still have to limit activity, but I'm not in constant pain.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoarthritis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20351930

https://www.arthritis.org/diseases/osteoarthritis

I wish you luck finding your optimum approach and I wish we had a functional magic wand to make it go away!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Yeah, the steroid shot worked for about a week. The pain is almost as bad as it was before already. What sort of puzzled me was the dr gave me the shot on the outside of my knee, but the pain is on the inside of my knee...why?

The thing that seems to work best at this point is Salonpas patches with Lidocaine. They are cooling.  The Pain Relieving Salonpas patches are heating so I alternate one type one day, the other the next.

I got some Tiger Balm and the time I used it , it did seem to help for a while.

Thanks for the links @Absolom!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Thanks for the links @Absolom!

Long term for any form of arthritis, I would use a rheumatologist.  This is one of their areas of expertise if you find one convenient to you.  I think the cortisone shot helped me maybe four days.  It wasn't worth it.  My rheumatologist doesn't recommend them except in selected circumstances and so far that hasn't included me.  :)  Your welcome and again good luck!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

What sort of puzzled me was the dr gave me the shot on the outside of my knee, but the pain is on the inside of my knee...why?

Did they use a fluoroscope monitor? That would show where to guide it to the correct location.

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Did they use a fluoroscope monitor? That would show where to guide it to the correct location.

No, he just stuck me in the knee after wiping it with a couple alcohol wipes. My chart definitely stated pain was on the inside of the knee, not the outside. I kind of feel like some kind of guinea pig...

I had very good results with steroid shots at this clinic when I had bad arthritis in one thumb and a trigger finger on the other hand.  Last time I had shots for those was in 2012. Sadly that dr only does hands... 

• Sad 3
5 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

3,380 steps yesterday. Going down hill daily...  :(

Gram I can't remember if you said the issue was arthritis.  I know my mom was getting Viscosupplementation treatment, they inject the joint with hyaluronic acid.  She said it might not get rid of all the pain, but it often lasts longer than the cortisone shot.  She has also had them in her lower back.  Can't remember how often she gets them but I think its every 3-4 months, so medicare will pay for it.  Plus she was told to ice the area for about 15 minutes several times a day, to help prevent as much pain.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
17 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Gram I can't remember if you said the issue was arthritis.  I know my mom was getting Viscosupplementation treatment, they inject the joint with hyaluronic acid.  She said it might not get rid of all the pain, but it often lasts longer than the cortisone shot.  She has also had them in her lower back.  Can't remember how often she gets them but I think its every 3-4 months, so medicare will pay for it.  Plus she was told to ice the area for about 15 minutes several times a day, to help prevent as much pain.

Yes, arthritis. Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

• Like 3

Yesterday (9/2) was 4,008 steps considering I was not feeling well, I'll take that # but will not push it today until I'm sure all is OK with my system... 

9/3 I am feeling much better today and I have my appetite back which I will take advantage of as I don't usually have much of one!

• Love 4