Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

I just wanted to reprint this here from the small talk thread:

Also, this always happens - right after I posted in the "Thrive Without Janelle" thread about being on an almost 3 week weight plateau, I suddenly found myself down most of a pound this morning, which is now the lightest I've been since 2020.  I still have 6 pounds to go to reach the "low" weight I was in 2019 after my gallbladder removal.  That will be another milestone for me, but it will still be 30 pounds above my weight just before menopause.  I don't know if I'll ever see that weight again, but I'm not changing my lifestyle and eating habits any time soon so we'll see.  It's not easy being on a 1,200 calorie per day diet for this length of time, but I'm determined.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I just wanted to reprint this here from the small talk thread:

Also, this always happens - right after I posted in the "Thrive Without Janelle" thread about being on an almost 3 week weight plateau, I suddenly found myself down most of a pound this morning, which is now the lightest I've been since 2020.  I still have 6 pounds to go to reach the "low" weight I was in 2019 after my gallbladder removal.  That will be another milestone for me, but it will still be 30 pounds above my weight just before menopause.  I don't know if I'll ever see that weight again, but I'm not changing my lifestyle and eating habits any time soon so we'll see.  It's not easy being on a 1,200 calorie per day diet for this length of time, but I'm determined.

that's great!  I wonder if it is possible for us post menopausal ladies to actually be the same as we were back in the day.  I can make myself look similar in clothes, but, underneath it all is not the body of the young woman I was.  I am still slim, although not nearly as slim as even 20 years ago although I eat right and exercise, etc.  The years take a toll. I think Catherine Deneuve once said "you can have the face or the body, not both".  She smoked, caused even more wrinkles, so chose the face, was plump, but face had fewer wrinkles.  

• Like 4

Interesting @lookeyloo, I don't know how old you are, I am 73 a few months away from 74 and I can say for certain, I will never be body-wise, ability-wise what I was in my youth. That is just a fact of nature. I have had serious health issues and worked hard to overcome each as they came along.  Right now dealing with a back brace after a fall in which I fractured a vertebrae and broke 3 ribs, but I am dealing and healing and though moving even slower, am still moving and doing what I can.

That has become my mantra as I have aged, "I will do what I can and be happy with each day I can do it and survive to do it another day." Some days are just harder than others...

• Hugs 4
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

that's great!  I wonder if it is possible for us post menopausal ladies to actually be the same as we were back in the day.  I can make myself look similar in clothes, but, underneath it all is not the body of the young woman I was.  I am still slim, although not nearly as slim as even 20 years ago although I eat right and exercise, etc.  The years take a toll. I think Catherine Deneuve once said "you can have the face or the body, not both".  She smoked, caused even more wrinkles, so chose the face, was plump, but face had fewer wrinkles.  

I’m fighting it hard and want both, even if it means procedures (as it is now I do collagen, red light therapy, yellow light therapy, retinoids, micro-needling and prescription creams). For me the super-slim part is possible — if I starve. The energy I get from it is worth it. It’s just food — meh. That’s what I tell myself anyways. I gain weight easily so I need to do this forever. Right now I’m a 30 waist (8) and prefer to be at a 26-28 (4/6). 

Can’t say I’d recommend that, though. It works for me, mostly. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Additional
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2

@Gramto6 and @TurtlePower interesting observations.  Gram, I am 79.  I too have had some health and family challenges.  It does tend to age a person!!  I try and do the best for myself, by aiming to eat well, minimal processed foods, etc.  and moving around.  I am not a couch potato nor am I a "gym rat"!  TurtlePower, well, yes, I understand.  I had my eyelids lifted when I was 60.  They were bad enough insurance paid.  They did help me look younger.  I try to walk upright and stay fit.  I used to be fat.  Back in the day.  Then a sudden illness caused me to drop weight and that was the inspiration to stay at the lower weight.  I used to be very strict with myself.  I am less strict now, eat whatever I want, but, not a lot and not all the time.  I don't live a life of denial.  Right now I am working my way through a gift of a box of See's chocolates, but I am happy with one or two a day.  When the weight goes up I feel uncomfortable.  For me I am working on the happy medium of eating well and not feeling uncomfortable.  I am 5"2" and wear a size 6.  My BMI is in the middle of the normal range.  I used to wear a 4 routinely, but, age.  In my early years I was a 14, so here I am.  At this point in my life I really want to live longer, healthy.  I realize there is more past than future.   It is great that we can all pick our paths to a healthy and rewarding kind of life.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I think Catherine Deneuve once said "you can have the face or the body, not both".

You choose the face or the ass. Consider when Courtney Cox was at her thinnest. In order to get her ass the "right" size, her neck and face had to look positively skeletal.   (I think about this a lot now that now I see episodes of Family Ties on in the middle of the night.  She was probably a size 2-4 then, but looked so much healthier than during Friends.)

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1

And I will add that a lot (not all) of women keep themselves thin for the opinion of other women. A lot (not all) men want a woman who looks like a woman and not an early teenage boy.  Mr lookeyloo always admires besides me (😄😄) women who have curves.  He tells me it is an evolutionary thing in that those women are better "breeders". And yes not exactly politically correct and YMMV and not everyone feels the same etc. 

• Like 7
16 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I think a lot of it is self-perception and some of this is just a factor of genetics.  I'm pleasantly curvy and have a weight issue but thanks to a combination of genetics, knowing how to dress and present myself and having a young face people think I'm younger and thinner than I am.  I don't care what's under the clothes, they can't see that, LOL.  And my husband is blind to all that so I don't care about my body not looking like it did when I was younger.  Within reason, of course.  Having people see me in a bathing suit would be traumatic for me.  I don't think that's going to change much with weight loss at this age.

There are features of my body I wish I could change but that's not that easy with the particular hand I've been dealt.  I have a stomach and it's amazing how I've lost over 20 lbs. now but the stomach seems to refuse to lose any weight.  Everyone gains and loses differently at different ages.  As I age everything becomes more difficult.  I'm doing the best I can.  Of course I envy women my age who can be thin without killing themselves the way I have to.  Often people think they're doing a lot and that their appearance is because they work hard at it, but when it comes to some aspects of it they're just lucky.  Walk a mile in my shoes.  

I don't have the money to throw at plastic surgery plus I'm a wuss about it and sensitive to everything so I tend to avoid that stuff.  Fortunately as I lose weight my face doesn't get that gaunt look.  My face looks a little thinner but not in that way.  I'm lucky about certain things but try not to be obsessive about the things that are challenges.  I try to work with those things and do what I call "smoke and mirrors" to minimize my problem areas. 

Plus going by the number on the scale is never a good idea, especially for me.  My whole life I've looked thinner than the weight on the scale, sometimes 20 lbs. thinner!  If I went by that I'd drive myself nuts and feel like a failure.  I try not to fall into the trap of "body dysmorphia".  Actually my husband has it now if you can believe that.  I have to keep telling him he looks thin now and that he's reached his goal weight.  I keep telling him a 34 waist for him is absolutely normal and to stop thinking he needs to lose more.  He thinks the little ring of flab around his middle is fat but I told him it's just flesh that he needs to tone to get rid of now.  I think I'm getting through to him.  Unfortunately the "weight tables" showing normal weight ranges are not geared toward older people.  If he went down to 175 lbs. he'd look emaciated and unhealthy.  Everyone's ideal weight is different depending on their frame size, age and other factors.  I would be happy with "a few extra pounds" if I felt I looked right at that weight.  I think I looked fantastic at 150 lbs. and wore a size 8 but if you consulted weight tables that would be considered overweight for my height.   I think if I went down to 130 I'd look unhealthy at this age.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

@Gramto6 and @TurtlePower interesting observations.  Gram, I am 79.  I too have had some health and family challenges.  It does tend to age a person!!  I try and do the best for myself, by aiming to eat well, minimal processed foods, etc.  and moving around.  I am not a couch potato nor am I a "gym rat"!  TurtlePower, well, yes, I understand.  I had my eyelids lifted when I was 60.  They were bad enough insurance paid.  They did help me look younger.  I try to walk upright and stay fit.  I used to be fat.  Back in the day.  Then a sudden illness caused me to drop weight and that was the inspiration to stay at the lower weight.  I used to be very strict with myself.  I am less strict now, eat whatever I want, but, not a lot and not all the time.  I don't live a life of denial.  Right now I am working my way through a gift of a box of See's chocolates, but I am happy with one or two a day.  When the weight goes up I feel uncomfortable.  For me I am working on the happy medium of eating well and not feeling uncomfortable.  I am 5"2" and wear a size 6.  My BMI is in the middle of the normal range.  I used to wear a 4 routinely, but, age.  In my early years I was a 14, so here I am.  At this point in my life I really want to live longer, healthy.  I realize there is more past than future.   It is great that we can all pick our paths to a healthy and rewarding kind of life.

Different people require different methods for sure. What works for one may not be suitable for another, that’s the difficult part — getting one’s equation right. I swore to be less strict, but it didn’t work well for me. I’m one of those people who must stick to “safe” foods to feel good. 

Regarding BMI, it’s one thing that triggered my anorexia when a chart said I was “overweight”. I was a lifter, a size 8, ate pretty strictly and by the charts on the heavier side. But those damn charts don’t take body composition into consideration, they just look at a number. After freaking out about the number, I starved my muscle away. Before that, I could carry a 5 gallon water jug in each hand (42lbs each) and after, not so much  

BMI as a means of gauging someone’s overall physical health needs to go away. It’s the thorn in the side of anyone who has a very muscular build — example:  I remember a police officer body builder who kept getting in trouble for his high BMI — was the person evaluating him blind? He was a gym rat, solid muscle!  It’s so stupid and not every health care professional is smart enough to look past the number and evaluate the persons body composition. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Agree with all. We all have to decide for ourselves. I only mentioned BMI because I just came from the dr.  I don't use a scale or a tape measure. I use my clothes and now I feel.  No spring chicken here so different from the "young-uns". I want to be healthy - whatever that means for ME!  

• Like 7

5,772 steps yesterday. A little more than the day before, but still not pushing.

I have to think about what I am going to do once cleared for regular activity and the brace is gone. I think I will be doing the same,  just what I can do w/out pushing it for a long while. It will be nice to ease back into driving and be able to go when and where I want once again.

• Like 8

5,716 steps yesterday.

I seem to have settled in the 5,000 step range, that is OK, it has been pretty consistent and I know I can work back to the 7,000 range and higher eventually, everything in it's time.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Do you mean physically uncomfortable?  If so, what do you feel?

Tight? Lumpy?  Even in loose clothes don't like feeling a roll of fat under my boobs kind of thing.  Physically.  Not emotionally.  My main goal is to walk "upright" and feel healthy.  I am not on a diet as such. I don't put anything off limits but I know what is good for me and what I like and concentrate on that.  And if I really want something I just have it. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Tight? Lumpy?  Even in loose clothes don't like feeling a roll of fat under my boobs kind of thing.

When I was 64, I got a layer of fat on my torso.  It started with a little crease above where my waist nips in, which I think might be kind of like back fat, which I've never had.  It's not only annoying; it caused me to miss a timely Shingles diagnosis because the Shingles was in the crease, but having seen plenty of shows about 600-pounders, I knew that fat folds can cause no end of issues so I figured it was just that.

Then I noticed that when I would lie on my side in bed, I could feel my belly lying on the mattress, and then I noticed that when I was sitting in the recliner, I could feel my belly just kind of sitting there.  It didn't hurt or anything, but was always there and I couldn't ignore it.  Like the layer of fat under your boobs.

I assumed it was my new meno-body and that I'd been luckier than most in that it didn't happen until so late.  But did that just make me more (and unreasonably) sensitive to it because I'd had such a long run without it?  But it was also during Covid, during which I happily lay fallow.  Whatever it was, I hated the feeling of that layer of fat bunching up or even just sitting there. 

I was able to get rid of it, and the crease now serves as an early warning device.  But this whole experience has made me wonder about whether other people feel the same discomfort I did, and if so, do they just endure it?  You obviously feel it, but you said you used to be fat, so back then did you just tough it out?  Or were you younger and didn't notice?  (I remember sleeping on the floor of a motel room when I was in my early 20s; I clearly had different standards of comfort than I do now.)

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
48 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

When I was 64, I got a layer of fat on my torso.  It started with a little crease above where my waist nips in, which I think might be kind of like back fat, which I've never had.  It's not only annoying; it caused me to miss a timely Shingles diagnosis because the Shingles was in the crease, but having seen plenty of shows about 600-pounders, I knew that fat folds can cause no end of issues so I figured it was just that.

Then I noticed that when I would lie on my side in bed, I could feel my belly lying on the mattress, and then I noticed that when I was sitting in the recliner, I could feel my belly just kind of sitting there.  It didn't hurt or anything, but was always there and I couldn't ignore it.  Like the layer of fat under your boobs.

I assumed it was my new meno-body and that I'd been luckier than most in that it didn't happen until so late.  But did that just make me more (and unreasonably) sensitive to it because I'd had such a long run without it?  But it was also during Covid, during which I happily lay fallow.  Whatever it was, I hated the feeling of that layer of fat bunching up or even just sitting there. 

I was able to get rid of it, and the crease now serves as an early warning device.  But this whole experience has made me wonder about whether other people feel the same discomfort I did, and if so, do they just endure it?  You obviously feel it, but you said you used to be fat, so back then did you just tough it out?  Or were you younger and didn't notice?  (I remember sleeping on the floor of a motel room when I was in my early 20s; I clearly had different standards of comfort than I do now.)

What good questions!!!!  When I was fat I was much younger and things were firm so to speak.  I was a definite pear shape with a belly. Maybe about 30 lbs. overweight at the most.  I got much thinner almost overnight because as a teenager I had a reaction to the drug compazine and between that and no eating a couple of days, the change was noticeable which became motivating.  I've never had even the hint of an eating disorder.  But I watched Jack Lalanne and measured my food (nothing off limits) and tried to count calories which was the thing in the early 60s.  Then got married and had children and young body bounced back.  Stayed okay all these years until breast cancer and anti estrogen medication (I know this is controversial and maybe not needed according to today's science, but back then trusted the oncologist and did it) that caused the ring of fat and general decline of skin etc.  I did go to the gym when I retired at age 60 and was faithful til Sweet Son got sick and the pandemic.  I do walk about 3.5 miles most days in the subdivision and it is hilly.  I am trying to motivate myself to do upper body from youtube which is fine, no issues of the choices and I have the weights, space and time.  Just me doing it.  Skin is now crepey, no help for that.  The new Gold Bond doesn't work.  Not into cosmetic procedures.  Just going to own my 79 years and still try to walk upright and be healthy.  When I say just going to own it, it takes effort, because in my head I am young with good skin!!  But, put on my clothes and go forth and try to enjoy life.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Good luck to you!  

I'm sorry the Gold Bond doesn't work for you.  For me it's great.  I also use a rose scented spa treatment and it's great, too.  It costs a lot more than Gold Bond though.  Gold Bond needs to be applied twice a day every day to keep up the look.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Good luck to you!  

I'm sorry the Gold Bond doesn't work for you.  For me it's great.  I also use a rose scented spa treatment and it's great, too.  It costs a lot more than Gold Bond though.  Gold Bond needs to be applied twice a day every day to keep up the look.

Glad it works for you.  I think for me it would be a cosmetic thing because nothing is going to replace the collagen under the skin without ingesting it and I understand it might contribute to a recurrence.  But, I'm not complaining.  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

tayed okay all these years until breast cancer and anti estrogen medication (I know this is controversial and maybe not needed according to today's science, but back then trusted the oncologist and did it)

Could you say more about this please? I was not aware there was any controversy regarding anti-estrogen medication. I was on an estrogen blocker daily for about 8 months after my surgery for breast cancer in 2021. I stopped it last April when I was diagnosed with vasculitis. My oncologist now says I can take it 3x/week and have the same benefit as daily use. The medication has no relationship to the vasculitis, it's just that when dealing with the onset and a bunch of new meds, I just felt the estrogen blocker and hot flashes were too much to handle. 

For what it's worth, I'm not too concerned about weight gain - I've gained more from long-term prednisone use than I did from the estro blocker. I'm trying to work some of it off now that I'm down to a lower prednisone dose. (I may never be able to go off prednisone completely but I'm fortunate to be on a much lower dose than many others with my illness.)

In keeping with our "accountabllity" topic, I've gotten up to the 30 minute Walk from Home video that also involves a bit of jumping and jogging in place, so kudos to the folks who mentioned these vids and yay me, I guess.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Could you say more about this please? I was not aware there was any controversy regarding anti-estrogen medication. I was on an estrogen blocker daily for about 8 months after my surgery for breast cancer in 2021. I stopped it last April when I was diagnosed with vasculitis. My oncologist now says I can take it 3x/week and have the same benefit as daily use. The medication has no relationship to the vasculitis, it's just that when dealing with the onset and a bunch of new meds, I just felt the estrogen blocker and hot flashes were too much to handle. 

For what it's worth, I'm not too concerned about weight gain - I've gained more from long-term prednisone use than I did from the estro blocker. I'm trying to work some of it off now that I'm down to a lower prednisone dose. (I may never be able to go off prednisone completely but I'm fortunate to be on a much lower dose than many others with my illness.)

In keeping with our "accountabllity" topic, I've gotten up to the 30 minute Walk from Home video that also involves a bit of jumping and jogging in place, so kudos to the folks who mentioned these vids and yay me, I guess.

When I was diagnosed the prevailing wisdom for my grade of tumor was 10 years. More current research says maybe not necessary - similar recurrence/survival rates with shorter or no treatment with this. Probably Google can help you for more accurate info.  I did minimal exercise today because was gone most of day. But as a famous fictional heroine once said "tomorrow is another day"

• Like 3

5,456 steps yesterday. So close to yesterday!

Had to order a new grabber tool yesterday, the one I have had since my double mastectomy (2013) started acting wonky a couple of days ago, I guess from all the use lately. Thought I'd better have a back-up ready if the old one fails me. Still have just about a month left in the brace so will be needing one.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Glad it works for you.  I think for me it would be a cosmetic thing because nothing is going to replace the collagen under the skin without ingesting it and I understand it might contribute to a recurrence.  But, I'm not complaining.  

Are you saying ingesting collagen might contribute to a recurrence of breast cancer, or did I misunderstand your post?

I don't take collagen, but it's really getting the big push right now in health & beauty articles.

17 minutes ago, General Days said:

Are you saying ingesting collagen might contribute to a recurrence of breast cancer, or did I misunderstand your post?

I don't take collagen, but it's really getting the big push right now in health & beauty articles.

I'm not a doctor so wouldn't want to say. There is some information through googling. I don't take it. There is no one size fits all. 

45 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I'm not a doctor so wouldn't want to say. There is some information through googling. I don't take it. There is no one size fits all. 

Of course, and understood, but in your "I understand it might contribute to a recurrence," you used the word "recurrence" in reference to breast cancer (as opposed to a recurrence of something else that I missed in your post)?

11 minutes ago, General Days said:

Of course, and understood, but in your "I understand it might contribute to a recurrence," you used the word "recurrence" in reference to breast cancer (as opposed to a recurrence of something else that I missed in your post)?

Yes I have read some Information that ingesting collagen as a supplement "could" contribute to a recurrence of breast cancer.  I don't want to take any chances for myself. Others can read the info and make a different choice. All okay.  I'm sure you can research this and make a good decision for yourself. 

• Useful 1
On 2/22/2023 at 12:18 PM, lookeyloo said:

Then got married and had children and young body bounced back.

I wonder if that's also part of my reaction to a layer of fat first acquired in my 60s.  I never had kids, so I'd never had to deal with the effects on the body.  I'm thinking that if you've had kids, you've experienced the expansion of the torso but it was joyful.  And if someone's weight gain comes/stays after pregnancy, they haven't had to make that first uncomfortable leap into having a fat layer and/or folds literally weighing you down for no purpose.

I thought menopause was the reason for mine, and I'm glad I didn't just accept it.  And I'm hopeful that I won't let it happen again because it was miserable.  Sitting around with that belly was bad enough, but when I'd ride my bike it would be lapping over--that's the thanks I get for being on my bike??

I appreciate your helpful responses.  "So how did it feel when you first got fat?" isn't a question that you can just sling around anywhere, even if you mean absolutely no offense.  😀

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 2

6,794 steps yesterday.

Lots of pacing waiting for neighbor to come over to close kitchen window. It was stuck partly open and it was -2° outside! I just didn't have the strength to close it.

I was surprised I got that high though because I was exhausted after things were fixed and spent more time than usual sitting.

• Like 7

6,574 steps yesterday.  Not pushing, somedays are just easier to get more steps in than others.

I will be so happy if I can get out of this back brace next month at 3/15 dr appt.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 8

6,454 steps yesterday.

Thank goodness my neighbor agreed to take me grocery shopping at the end of the week...that will add to the steps then...  I guess from my track record, I grocery shop 2X a  month. Will sure be glad when I can drive myself!

(Now I have to worry if my car will even start when I can drive again! It has been sitting in the garage since 12/15/22 the last time I drove.)

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

6,454 steps yesterday.

Thank goodness my neighbor agreed to take me grocery shopping at the end of the week...that will add to the steps then...  I guess from my track record, I grocery shop 2X a  month. Will sure be glad when I can drive myself!

(Now I have to worry if my car will even start when I can drive again! It has been sitting in the garage since 12/15/22 the last time I drove.)

Maybe open the garage door (if you are able or have auto garage door opener) and see if you can crank the car up.  If it doesn't start, maybe get neighbor to open hood and place a strong lightbulb on battery. Hope it works out for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've admittedly been avoiding this thread because I've been frustrated over my lack of weight loss in the past month despite remaining faithful to my diet and exercise routine.  I finally shed another pound after a 4 week plateau.  I was only able to do it by engaging in intermittent fasting.  It's insane how eating 1200 reduced carb. calories a day and over 6,000 steps is suddenly not enough.

I also realized that I was undercounting my steps because I didn't wear my smart watch at home.  I can get another couple of thousand steps in the house and on days I don't go out I can get up to 5,000 steps just doing housework and cooking. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:58 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wonder if that's also part of my reaction to a layer of fat first acquired in my 60s.  I never had kids, so I'd never had to deal with the effects on the body.  I'm thinking that if you've had kids, you've experienced the expansion of the torso but it was joyful.  And if someone's weight gain comes/stays after pregnancy, they haven't had to make that first uncomfortable leap into having a fat layer and/or folds literally weighing you down for no purpose.

I thought menopause was the reason for mine, and I'm glad I didn't just accept it.  And I'm hopeful that I won't let it happen again because it was miserable.  Sitting around with that belly was bad enough, but when I'd ride my bike it would be lapping over--that's the thanks I get for being on my bike??

I appreciate your helpful responses.  "So how did it feel when you first got fat?" isn't a question that you can just sling around anywhere, even if you mean absolutely no offense.  😀

I started developing an "overhanging" tummy with a crease after menopause at around age 55 or so.  I never had kids either so I know how you feel about this.  I wasn't even that heavy or even considered "obese" when it started so it shocked me, but from all I've read it's a result of changing hormones after menopause.  Now no matter how much weight I lose it never really goes away, just shrinks.  I'd probably have to be very thin for it to go away completely.  We'll see, I'll let you know if that ever happens.  I do hate it, though, and it feels uncomfortable.  I seem to be one of those people that gains mostly in the tummy area which sucks, but I've read it's not uncommon for women post menopause to gain this way and have trouble losing it.  Even after just recently losing 22 pounds my waist size has only gone down probably no more than a couple of inches at best, which is ridiculous, but that's the "new normal" at this age.

BTW I don't know if this was mentioned, but Gold Bond makes a "friction defense" stick that looks like a deodorant that works well for this issue and I use it daily to prevent chafing and other issues, especially in the warm weather.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've admittedly been avoiding this thread because I've been frustrated over my lack of weight loss in the past month despite remaining faithful to my diet and exercise routine.  I finally shed another pound after a 4 week plateau.  I was only able to do it by engaging in intermittent fasting.  It's insane how eating 1200 reduced carb. calories a day and over 6,000 steps is suddenly not enough.

I also realized that I was undercounting my steps because I didn't wear my smart watch at home.  I can get another couple of thousand steps in the house and on days I don't go out I can get up to 5,000 steps just doing housework and cooking. 

I started developing an "overhanging" tummy with a crease after menopause at around age 55 or so.  I never had kids either so I know how you feel about this.  I wasn't even that heavy or even considered "obese" when it started so it shocked me, but from all I've read it's a result of changing hormones after menopause.  Now no matter how much weight I lose it never really goes away, just shrinks.  I'd probably have to be very thin for it to go away completely.  We'll see, I'll let you know if that ever happens.  I do hate it, though, and it feels uncomfortable.  I seem to be one of those people that gains mostly in the tummy area which sucks, but I've read it's not uncommon for women post menopause to gain this way and have trouble losing it.  Even after just recently losing 22 pounds my waist size has only gone down probably no more than a couple of inches at best, which is ridiculous, but that's the "new normal" at this age.

BTW I don't know if this was mentioned, but Gold Bond makes a "friction defense" stick that looks like a deodorant that works well for this issue and I use it daily to prevent chafing and other issues, especially in the warm weather.

Intermittent fasting is the best thing ever, for people okay with feeling hungry and who won’t binge when they do eat. Sometimes hunger just turns to sour stomach and then you don’t want anything at all (forgot my lunch today and forgot breakfast, so I’m experiencing the sour stomach thing right now).

I have a big salad and a yogurt waiting for me at home. 😃 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Grocery shopping really added to step count! Unfortunately it was not very good for my bank account! Wow, the prices!!

These days grocery shopping accounts for a lot of my step count because I go to several markets a week to get everything so as not to pay the insane prices.  It's a challenge to eat healthy with these prices.  I spend more time shopping at Aldi and Walmart than ever.

21 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Intermittent fasting is the best thing ever, for people okay with feeling hungry and who won’t binge when they do eat. Sometimes hunger just turns to sour stomach and then you don’t want anything at all (forgot my lunch today and forgot breakfast, so I’m experiencing the sour stomach thing right now).

I have a big salad and a yogurt waiting for me at home. 😃 

On my diet I'd put a piece of protein in the salad like chicken or shrimp and add a dessert like a fat free pudding cup or sugar free cookie, maybe two.  After not eating all day I wouldn't gorge but add a couple of things, it wouldn't hurt.  I  used to joke around about what I called my "salad and cake diet".  On days I ate mostly salad I treated myself to a piece of cake and still lost weight for the week.   I don't do that so much anymore but sometimes it just works out that way.

I got into a pair of Levi's today I haven't worn in 3 years.  It felt very good to be that size again!  It's also good because the size gives me a reality check.  I can hardly believe it because I still look in the mirror and think I look the same as before.  I should have taken a "before" photo but I didn't.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Intermittent fasting really helped me get my blood sugar closer to normal in the beginning (along with a Low Carb/High Fat/Keto diet). I was diagnosed diabetic in 2012 and have had very low (4% A1c's now mid 5% which is still good). I kept a strict log of everything I ate and how it affected my bg. (Lots of bg testing involved.) But now I know what I can and shouldn't eat to stay in the 5% range. Keto doesn't work for everyone but it did for me! IF is basically what I do these days...

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

bg.

Did you check your sugar every time you ate something?  I just got my A1c back and as usual it's higher than it should be.  The way I work I just don't really have time to check my bg.  Did you wait one hour after eating?

• Like 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Did you check your sugar every time you ate something?  I just got my A1c back and as usual it's higher than it should be.  The way I work I just don't really have time to check my bg.  Did you wait one hour after eating?

When first diagnosed I checked my bg at 1 hour and 2 hours after eating. I recorded/weighed/measured everything I ate. After about 9 months when I got my A1c down from 9.5% to into the 4% range I knew pretty much what and how much of it would raise my bg. It was a lot of work, but the alternative of diabetic problems, kept me at it. Now I can just look at a serving of food I typically eat, and know how much I can eat or if I should eat it at all.  I still check my fasting # and random 2 hour tests just to be sure all is well... If I try something new, I do the full before and 1 hr/2hr tests to be sure it is safe.

It has been 11 years now since diagnosis and my A1c has never  been above 5.7% at its highest. My pcp considers me cured, but I know if I stray it will be right back with all its ugly ramifications.

This may all seem extreme, but my late DH went blind and had a leg amputated due to diabetic complications and I sure don't want to go there!

ETA: In the beginning along with the 1 & 2 hour after eating I also checked before I ate the food. Sorry, I missed adding that.

5,814 steps yesterday. As usual I took it kind of easy after the grocery shopping day.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

When first diagnosed I checked my bg at 1 hour and 2 hours after eating. I recorded/weighed/measured everything I ate. After about 9 months when I got my A1c down from 9.5% to into the 4% range I knew pretty much what and how much of it would raise my bg. It was a lot of work, but the alternative of diabetic problems, kept me at it. Now I can just look at a serving of food I typically eat, and know how much I can eat or if I should eat it at all.  I still check my fasting # and random 2 hour tests just to be sure all is well... If I try something new, I do the full before and 1 hr/2hr tests to be sure it is safe.

It has been 11 years now since diagnosis and my A1c has never  been above 5.7% at its highest. My pcp considers me cured, but I know if I stray it will be right back with all its ugly ramifications.

This may all seem extreme, but my late DH went blind and had a leg amputated due to diabetic complications and I sure don't want to go there!

ETA: In the beginning along with the 1 & 2 hour after eating I also checked before I ate the food. Sorry, I missed adding that.

5,814 steps yesterday. As usual I took it kind of easy after the grocery shopping day.

Are you still on diabetes medication or are these numbers without it?  I apologize if you mentioned this earlier and I didn't remember it.

I know I've mentioned my husband, who last year found out he is a type 2 diabetic (his A1C was 10).  After he lost 40 lbs. he went off the metformin for a week to see how his BG would look and he was never above 110.  That's a major accomplishment considering his BG was probably more than twice that before.  He went back on the metformin, of course, which brought his number under 100, but it was nice to know he's only considered pre-diabetic without it and not by a whole lot.  He had a lot of motivation because of his age (today he turns 67) and his occupation, which is as a driver.  We recently had a Covid scare when his boss's wife tested positive.  Fortunately nobody got Covid but it's a scary reminder of reality, which it seems like a lot of people are ignoring these days.  Older people are left to fend for themselves while everyone else goes on like it's 2019....

As for me, on my last testing I tested right on the border between normal and pre-diabetic at 5.7 and BG of 106, which was taken after about 15 lbs. of weight loss and making significant alterations to my diet, but it was no different than before.  I'm hoping that after more weight loss the numbers go down, but my sugar levels seem to stay the same no matter.  I might have to go down a significant amount to see any real improvement.  I'm still trying!

As I might have mentioned before, the doctor tried me on Metformin but even at 250 mg. I got very sick to my stomach so I never took it again.  I keep threatening to try an even lower dose to see if I can tolerate it and try to see if I build any tolerance to it over time.  I asked the doctor if she could put me on anything else but she told me even the alternatives can upset stomach so she didn't.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

@Yeah No I took Metformin from dx in 2/2012 until 3/2013. All my numbers since then have been w/out any diabetic medication, strictly diet controlled.

How long did you try the Metformin? I know many people (through a diabetic forum) that had stomach upset at first but it did work itself out after a bit. It took me a couple weeks to get through it, though it wasn't severe. You are wise to be paying attention to your numbers now and working to keep them as close to normal as possible.

---------------

6,500 steps yesterday.

Wow! Not very often is it a round number like that! Trying to do a bit of Spring cleaning here and there without pushing too much, guess the steps added up more than I thought.

• Like 7