Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

@Yeah No I took Metformin from dx in 2/2012 until 3/2013. All my numbers since then have been w/out any diabetic medication, strictly diet controlled.

How long did you try the Metformin? I know many people (through a diabetic forum) that had stomach upset at first but it did work itself out after a bit. It took me a couple weeks to get through it, though it wasn't severe. You are wise to be paying attention to your numbers now and working to keep them as close to normal as possible.

Wow, that's an accomplishment!  I wonder if after a while my husband's numbers will go down to normal without the Metformin.  I think that's his ultimate goal.

I only took that one 250 mg. dose, but my reaction was so bad it took me 3 days to feel normal again.  I felt tired and wanted to lay down all the time in addition to my stomach feeling awful.  I tend to be very sensitive to medications, especially those that are known for causing stomach upset.  When I told my doctor she told me she wouldn't blame me for not continuing with it, but I want to see if I can build up a tolerance a little at a time by continuing to cut the pill down.  Start with a tiny dose and see how it goes, then go up from there gradually.  I just chicken out or have one reason or another why a particular day is not a good time to start doing that!  Like today is my husband's birthday and I'm cooking a special dinner for him so today wasn't a good day.  Every day there seems to be another reason....

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1

In the very beginning, I did split my dose of Metformin until it didn't bother my stomach any more then went up to the full dose.  Maybe try that, split the tablet and maybe even quarter it to ease into the dose.

I am not a dr nor do I play one on TV, I just speak from personal experience and the experience of many other diabetics. Do what you/your dr feel comfortable with. In my experience, diet can be just as good a medicine when your readings are not so severe as to require medication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
(edited)

Still struggling with the blurred line between super clean eating, working out and anorexia. I’m sneaky — I fast all day and eat salad at night with maybe a couple snacks (see look! I’m eating!). All under 1,000 calories. Meanwhile, I’m working out at least 90 minutes a day, sometimes 2 hours. Lunch break is a brisk walk break.

The thing is, I feel okay — giddy and energetic even. The disorder is validating itself. That’s the scary part — it is saying to me, “See? You need me! No one else cares about you. Your friends don’t care, but I’m here for you.”

That’s how it always begins. It’s always a time of stress, the unknown, lots of anxiety and it pops in just in time. I don’t burden anyone with my complaints because I honestly believe no one wants to hear about my depressing crap. So, the disorder is there for me for “support”. It makes me feel like we’re “winning”, all while being stealth about it. 

I can talk about it here because it’s the only place available to me. So thanks for that. 

Edit: I know people may not know what to say about this, that’s okay. It’s just some words that needed to come out to the universe. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Edit
  • Hugs 10
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Still struggling with the blurred line between super clean eating, working out and anorexia. I’m sneaky — I fast all day and eat salad at night with maybe a couple snacks (see look! I’m eating!). All under 1,000 calories. Meanwhile, I’m working out at least 90 minutes a day, sometimes 2 hours. Lunch break is a brisk walk break.

The thing is, I feel okay — giddy and energetic even. The disorder is validating itself. That’s the scary part — it is saying to me, “See? You need me! No one else cares about you. Your friends don’t care, but I’m here for you.”

That’s how it always begins. It’s always a time of stress, the unknown, lots of anxiety and it pops in just in time. I don’t burden anyone with my complaints because I honestly believe no one wants to hear about my depressing crap. So, the disorder is there for me for “support”. It makes me feel like we’re “winning”, all while being stealth about it. 

I can talk about it here because it’s the only place available to me. So thanks for that. 

Edit: I know people may not know what to say about this, that’s okay. It’s just some words that needed to come out to the universe. 

I have no idea what to say and if I did say something it would be things you gave heard before and would not he helpful,  but know this even if I have never met you I do care and hope you find a healthy way to be in control. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

@TurtlePower we may not always know what to say, but we are always here to listen. Sometimes just knowing people care about you and what you are going through with no judgement can help. (((Hugs)))

I second that.  We do care, and we are here to listen.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Although we are friends who've never met, I think most everyone who reads your posts cares about you @TurtlePower And most certainly the folks who've responded to these sorts of posts do care. You're one of the posters whose insights and wit I look forward to reading the most. I hate to think of you starving yourself. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Although we are friends who've never met, I think most everyone who reads your posts cares about you @TurtlePower And most certainly the folks who've responded to these sorts of posts do care. You're one of the posters whose insights and wit I look forward to reading the most. I hate to think of you starving yourself. 

Very well put.  I've already said my piece about this and I don't want to be too pushy, so I'm just going to say that despite what you may feel, there are people who care and are here to support and listen to you, @TurtlePower, and we hope you get the help you need before you do irreparable damage to your health.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5,362 steps yesterday. Down, but I'm OK with it.

Got my new scale yesterday. Weighed myself this AM first thing, 124.3#, a little worrisome, losing weight again... I know most here are trying to lose weight, and I have been there and done that too many times. Now I find myself on the opposite end of the spectrum and losing more weight than I should be. Feel like I am beginning the "old lady" wasting away situation...

• Hugs 10
20 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

5,362 steps yesterday. Down, but I'm OK with it.

Got my new scale yesterday. Weighed myself this AM first thing, 124.3#, a little worrisome, losing weight again... I know most here are trying to lose weight, and I have been there and done that too many times. Now I find myself on the opposite end of the spectrum and losing more weight than I should be. Feel like I am beginning the "old lady" wasting away situation...

I worry about my mom that way. Every time I see her, she seems smaller. She says she just doesn’t feel as hungry these days. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 5

7,963 steps yesterday!

Have to admit some of it was pacing, looking out the window for neighbor to come and bring in the kitty kibble. It was snowing most of the day and I really wanted the food inside. He didn't come until almost 5PM. Bad experience with Chewy this time...

@TurtlePower I understand what your mom is saying, my appetite is hit and miss. Sometimes I can't think of anything that sounds appetizing to eat. My appetite came back for a while after the bad food at the care facility, but now it is not so good again. I'm not going to let the scale rule my life, next weigh will be day of Neurologist appt (3/15) because they always ask weight...

• Like 7

5,896 steps yesterday.

As long as I can stay over 5,000 steps, I'm happy. I am taking it slow and easy, hopefully the end of the brace will be this Wednesday and I can be so much more comfortable. And even drive again!!

• Like 7

6,468 steps yesterday. Some nervous pacing I'm sure added to the count.

Of course it had to snow overnight and is still snowing now (7:35AM) but supposed to stop by 9-10ish. Only a bit over 1.5" snow but I worry my ride will freak out on me...  I really don't want to have to postpone the dr appt!!!

ETA: Actually a bit over 2" snow once it got light enought to actually see what was on the ground

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 6

Free at last!! Just got home from dr., brace can be off now. Just use it if doing something very strenuous. Back has healed well, vertebrae will always be a bit "squishy" and smaller than others but should not be a problem. Ribs healed fine. Dr said it really paid off following the "rules" so carefully. 

It feels so good to not have it weighing me down and sleeping should be so much better!! 

• Like 5
  • Applause 8
  • Love 1

Yay, @Gramto6, very good news! 😎

As for me, I'm hovering on the border of losing another pound.  One day up a few ounces, another day down a few, rinse, repeat.  All I know is that it's very frustrating.  I saw my dietician and she is very happy with me and says I shouldn't focus too much on the daily details.  Focus on the big picture.  Yeah, I know, but it's hard to do that.  I try not to weigh myself every day so as not to fall into that trap, but it happens anyway.  She also told me I might have to get used to losing only 2 or so lbs. a month.  Very frustrating.  I expect more for all the work I'm putting into this.

All I know is that clothes are fitting me so much better it's hard to believe it.  I'm shopping my closet now trying stuff on to see what fits now.  I have plastic tubs of clothes out in the garage and have rummaged through a few swapping out the "fat clothes" for the "skinny clothes".  I did this already a few weeks ago and had to do it again because I'm still shrinking.  I'm glad I didn't get rid of any of them!  I kept stuff 2 sizes down.  I'm already down at least one size if not more in some things.

I'm still chickening out on trying a lower dose of the Metformin.  I can't believe how every day I find a reason why that's not a good day to try it.  I thought maybe I should do it the day of the Nor'easter snowstorm but I cooked a special meal and didn't want to risk having my stomach feel lousy for it.  And the news kept scaring us with threats of widespread power outages and I didn't want to risk feeling like crap in the dark, LOL.  As it turned out, the storm was a big nothingburger.  We had maybe 4-5 inches of wet snow at BEST and not much wind at all.  And that's a very good thing.  We had a very mild Winter with zero accumulating snow and now in March we've had two snowstorms.  Spring is only a few days from now and the clocks have already changed.  We're ready for Spring.

• Like 8

7,715 steps yesterday. 

Lots of walking at the hospital from x-ray to dr and then waiting for my ride. Then add on grocery shopping and. then putting groceries away when I got home. (Until yesterday it took me a couple of days to get the groceries all dealt with!)

It is going to take a bit of adjusting to life w/no brace and still a bit of caution, but basically, slowly getting back to "normal".

• Like 9
  • Love 3

5,618 steps yesterday. After the 15th, I took it a bit easy yesterday.

I did go into my step app and reset my weight (down 10+#'s since I set it up) and lowered my stride. Went down 3" for now, I want to see how everything settles out after I get used to no brace and moving freely before I do a final reset. Stride definitely shorter right now don't know if that will be permanent...

• Like 5

6,577 steps yesterday. 

One thing I notice is if I am walking more quickly, my stride is longer, at this point I am still taking it easy, so shorter stride.  Either way, it really doesn't matter that much, the steps/moving around are what is more important not the distance.

• Like 7

I just wanted to check in to say that I finally got up the courage to take a very low dose of Metformin to see how I reacted to it, and aside from a few twinges in the stomach area and a tiny bit of fatigue it's been OK, not great but OK.  I took one eighth of a 500 mg. pill (about 65.5 mg) last night with dinner and another dose in that amount again this morning with breakfast.  I have no nausea just a little stomach discomfort that mostly goes away after a while.  It's definitely tolerable so that's encouraging.  So I'm going to continue at this dose for a while to see if the symptoms improve with time, then see if I can up the dose again a bit when I feel the time is right and so on.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW, no weight loss since last time I reported it, despite "pulling out all the stops".  It's ridiculous.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 3

6,316 steps yesterday.

Over did a bit with chores and low back slightly sore, will take it easier today. Still haven't quite found my stride as to how much to do and when to stop...

• Like 6

I usually average about 5,000 steps a day.  Yesterday I got 6,019 steps and today a whopping 8,948! 

I'm still sticking to my diet and not losing much anymore.  I've only lost 2 pounds in the past 2 months after steadily losing about a pound a week for about 4 months.  This is what makes people give up.  Not me, though, I can't afford to give up.  The alternative is worse than this!  I'm also still taking the super low dose of Metformin 3 times a day.  I'm seeing my diet doctor in early April and will bring up the possibility of her prescribing me the time-release version as I'm reading online that people who are sensitive to regular Metformin can often tolerate the time release version.  The low dose is not bothering my stomach at all now.  It just makes me feel tired for a while, then it passes.  I feel like the symptoms may also get better with time.  I'm hearing online that this happens a lot.  Even if it helps get my blood sugar out of the pre-diabetic range that will be a win.  If it helps with insulin sensitivity even better.  I'm convinced my problem is insulin resistance.  I have all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome, including having great difficulty losing weight after a while.

• Like 7

6,849 steps yesterday.

Weighed myself yesterday, down another pound in 5 days which does not make me too happy. However, shopping in the back of my closet and finding things I haven't worn in a long time that fit now is kind of fun!

@Yeah No great job on the steps! Glad the low dose Metformin is helping. I had forgotten about the time release Metformin as I got used to it with just low doses and going up as I tolerated the regular type.  I don't know about splitting the time release variety though, the coating may have something to do with its time release properties. 

• Like 5

5,754 steps yesterday.

I noticed this morning when I first got up that my step app didn't count some early morning steps...wonder if it is getting ready to fail?? Better start looking for another one... sigh.

• Like 3
On 3/22/2023 at 10:19 AM, Gramto6 said:

@Yeah No great job on the steps! Glad the low dose Metformin is helping. I had forgotten about the time release Metformin as I got used to it with just low doses and going up as I tolerated the regular type.  I don't know about splitting the time release variety though, the coating may have something to do with its time release properties. 

Thanks for that information; I didn't know you can't cut the extended release version.  I think for now I'm better off with cutting down the regular Metformin because I've read that's OK to do.  I'm up to taking 3/4 of a 500 mg. pill per day now with no side effects at all.  That's incredible progress!  I'm cutting the pill into quarters and taking one quarter 3 times a day with meals.  I'll have to discuss with my doctor next week when and if I might switch to the extended release version.

17 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

5,754 steps yesterday.

I noticed this morning when I first got up that my step app didn't count some early morning steps...wonder if it is getting ready to fail?? Better start looking for another one... sigh.

That's interesting.  I've noticed the same thing with my smart watch but in my case I think sometimes the count is delayed and it catches up later.  I've also noticed that with my sleep tracker, which is also on my smart watch.  It won't show a sleep record if it's under an hour.  Then if I fall back to sleep the next time I look at it that first interval shows up.  I'd say keep looking at it to see if it looks like your tracker is catching up belatedly.  

I noticed that today in fact.  It looked like I was stuck for too long at 50 steps below my usual goal for a day, which is 6,000 steps.  Then suddenly after I had already been sitting down for about 20 minutes my watch started buzzing me that I had reached my 6,000 step goal for the day.  I said to it, "So you just realized that after 20 minutes?"  LOL  I often talk to this stupid watch, LOL, especially when it tells me it's time to get up and go for a walk, which is always at the most inopportune time.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

6,053 steps yesterday. 

@Yeah No I don't know if the time release can be split or not, it was just my thought that the coating may be what gives it the time release property and splitting it will expose the regular. 

This is just my opinion and experiences I've heard from many diabetics on the forums I have been on, but once you get over the initial problems w the regular Metformin, it won't be a problem any more. It sounds like you are doing well on the regular gradually increasing the dose. For myself, another that has a lot of problems with meds causing problems, I would stick with the regular, as I did and not try changing at this point. My thought is you never know what is in the "time release" that makes it different and will it be a problem in and of itself? 

Just my thoughts and I am not a dr nor do I play one on TV (LOL!).

Oh, and you were right about the step counter "catching up" mine seems to have and today is just fine... tech stuff bewilders me sometimes!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

6,053 steps yesterday. 

@Yeah No I don't know if the time release can be split or not, it was just my thought that the coating may be what gives it the time release property and splitting it will expose the regular. 

This is just my opinion and experiences I've heard from many diabetics on the forums I have been on, but once you get over the initial problems w the regular Metformin, it won't be a problem any more. It sounds like you are doing well on the regular gradually increasing the dose. For myself, another that has a lot of problems with meds causing problems, I would stick with the regular, as I did and not try changing at this point. My thought is you never know what is in the "time release" that makes it different and will it be a problem in and of itself? 

Just my thoughts and I am not a dr nor do I play one on TV (LOL!).

Oh, and you were right about the step counter "catching up" mine seems to have and today is just fine... tech stuff bewilders me sometimes!

Oh I forgot to say I googled it and you were right that the time release version can't be split because the coating has something to do with the time release properties.  I still have to contact my doctor about which one to prescribe for me.  I'll take her advice on that but I think I should stick with what I know works because like you I know that whatever makes the time release version different might be a problem for someone like me.

I am very happy that my issues with Metformin are resolving themselves.  I can't tell you how happy because I often have a lot of difficulties with sensitivity to medications.  I was so disappointed after my first reaction but I refused to give up.  I'm glad I stuck with it.  I didn't realize until recently that blood sugar plays a role in heart disease and given that that runs in my family (not with me, yet anyway) I don't want to take any chances especially as I get older.  The doctors keep assuming that my blood sugar will go down as I lose weight and eat healthy but so far it's remained remarkably constant.  I am 36 pounds under my highest weight ever right now (which was in 2015) and all my records on MyChart confirm that my blood sugar has not budged!  So much for that theory.  I'm still hoping that further weight loss might help but until then I'm glad there's the Metformin to help me get out of the "yellow zone".  I'm not pre-diabetic by much but any amount is still too much for me.

Don't worry about playing doctor, I appreciate it!  Thanks!

I'm glad your step counter caught up with you.  These "new fangled" devices, right?  LOL.

Speaking of that, I went today to the podiatrist for a custom orthotics fitting and expected it to include measuring and casts being made, etc.  Nope, all it was was a technician using what looked like an iPad to take exactly one photo of each foot.  Then she showed me the 360 degree 3D image of my feet twirling around on the screen.  I was LOL and told her how mind blowing that was for me.  She said, "Oh, I know, the young people aren't as impressed as us older people".  I knew she couldn't be that old so I said, "How old are you?"  She said "Oh, I'm 36" like it was old or something, LOL.  I told her I'm almost twice her age, can she imagine how mind blowing that is for ME?  I really don't think she can.....

• Like 6

5,557 steps yesterday. Still taking it easy for my back's sake. Haven't even tried driving yet...soon I am going to need to get out though so I have to face the worry it might make my back sore...

@Yeah No I had a feeling (vague memory) that you couldn't split the time release Metformin. I'm sure you and your dr can decide what is best for you to do. Hope it works out for you whichever way you go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just for info, people shouldn't split any time release pill.  :)  That's of course unless your doctor says it's OK.  

I take a medicine that is enteric coated and the same rule applies.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, Absolom said:

Just for info, people shouldn't split any time release pill.  :)  That's of course unless your doctor says it's OK.  

I take a medicine that is enteric coated and the same rule applies.

I think it may also extend to any coated pill even if not marketed as time release.  When I wanted to quit taking Prilosec I found out you have to wean off of it slowly or you can have a relapse of symptoms.  So I wanted to cut the pill in half to reduce my dose.  The doctor told me not to because it was a coated pill and removing the coating would make the drug not work properly in my system.  I've also read that the coating may help the drug absorb into one's system and also buffers the drug so as not to irritate the stomach.

• Like 3

It’s important to know if pills can be chewed, crushed, or cut. They are meant to work at a certain point in the digestion process.

When a pill can be cut, it’s also important not to cut too many at a time. Exposure to air can lessen the effect of the medication.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've also read that the coating may help the drug absorb into one's system and also buffers the drug so as not to irritate the stomach.

That's what my enteric coated medication is all about.  It both doesn't work as well if it dissolves in the stomach rather than the intestines plus it then upsets the stomach needlessly.  Coatings are there for different reasons.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I learned about this the hard way. My (now former) gastroenterologist was dismissive when I complained of awful foot and calf cramps after being on a PPI (for gerd) after several weeks. He argued the cramps could not possibly be from the PPI (Pantoprazole; its a rare side effect). When I disagreed, he said, "Okay, stop taking it." No further discussion. Well, I'd also read that going off it cold turkey could make the gerd come back even worse. So I decided to just cut it in half, not realizing that it was a time-release and that would negate the effect entirely. So in essence, I did go off it cold turkey - and ended up in the ER twice a few weeks later because my stomach  pain was so bad. Never had pain like that before and hope never to experience it again. (However the foot and calf cramps stopped.)

Fortunately this harrowing experience led me to a wonderful woman gastroenterologist who worked with me on a taper, and the pain has not returned even though I stopped taking the PPI entirely more than eight months ago. I'm still on famotidine (a stronger version of pepcid) once a day but that's it. Our bodies often know!

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I learned about this the hard way. My (now former) gastroenterologist was dismissive when I complained of awful foot and calf cramps after being on a PPI (for gerd) after several weeks. He argued the cramps could not possibly be from the PPI (Pantoprazole; its a rare side effect). When I disagreed, he said, "Okay, stop taking it." No further discussion. Well, I'd also read that going off it cold turkey could make the gerd come back even worse. So I decided to just cut it in half, not realizing that it was a time-release and that would negate the effect entirely. So in essence, I did go off it cold turkey - and ended up in the ER twice a few weeks later because my stomach  pain was so bad. Never had pain like that before and hope never to experience it again. (However the foot and calf cramps stopped.)

Fortunately this harrowing experience led me to a wonderful woman gastroenterologist who worked with me on a taper, and the pain has not returned even though I stopped taking the PPI entirely more than eight months ago. I'm still on famotidine (a stronger version of pepcid) once a day but that's it. Our bodies often know!

Your story sounds a lot like mine.  I was taking Prilosec for over a year after my gallbladder surgery and was starting to read that it shouldn't be used long term.  So I told my gastro. that I wanted to get off it but he never once mentioned having to wean off slowly.  He didn't seem to understand why I wanted to get off of it either.  I had a feeling I didn't need it anymore and that it was actually starting to cause more negative stomach symptoms than it was helping.  

So anyway I went off of it cold turkey, not realizing I needed to wean off slowly and had a horrible, intense relapse of acid reflux.  It made me think I still needed to be on the Prilosec so I went back on, but I wasn't happy about it and my stomach symptoms improved again but still weren't normal.  Meanwhile another couple of months went by until I read online about tapering off.  Once I did that my stomach went back to normal - better than with the Prilosec.  I realized I was right that I didn't need it anymore and that it was now actually causing me problems.  It was helping me in the beginning, though, so I did need to be on it for a while, just not indefinitely.

I also didn't like the dismissive way the doctor treated me.  He gave me the impression that my liver was in way worse condition than it really was and when I asked him what could be done about it he told me to lose weight.  I told him I was intending to join a weight loss clinic through the hospital because it was very hard for me to lose weight and felt I needed the support.  Now mind you, this is a man with barely a protruding stomach, not a real weight issue, but he said, "Tell me about it, I have the same problem, no matter what I do I can't lose this stomach!"  I looked at him like "Seriously, you're going to equate your non-issue with my serious weight problem?"  I was speechless.  

So anyway I was seething for the next few days and wracked with anxiety over what he told me about my liver.  It just so happened that a few weeks later I saw my primary doctor and told her what he told me.  She pulled up my liver test results and scratched her head.  She told me there was absolutely no cause for alarm and that my liver showed no signs of scarring or any kind of permanent damage whatsoever.  She theorized that maybe he was trying to scare me into losing weight.  

At any rate, he is now also my "former gastroenterologist" and next time I am seeing someone else.

Oh, and BTW I just lost another pound, yay, FINALLY!  That makes 23 lbs. so far.  Maybe the Metformin is helping!

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Your story sounds a lot like mine.  I was taking Prilosec for over a year after my gallbladder surgery and was starting to read that it shouldn't be used long term.  So I told my gastro. that I wanted to get off it but he never once mentioned having to wean off slowly.  He didn't seem to understand why I wanted to get off of it either.  I had a feeling I didn't need it anymore and that it was actually starting to cause more negative stomach symptoms than it was helping.  

So anyway I went off of it cold turkey, not realizing I needed to wean off slowly and had a horrible, intense relapse of acid reflux.  It made me think I still needed to be on the Prilosec so I went back on, but I wasn't happy about it and my stomach symptoms improved again but still weren't normal.  Meanwhile another couple of months went by until I read online about tapering off.  Once I did that my stomach went back to normal - better than with the Prilosec.  I realized I was right that I didn't need it anymore and that it was now actually causing me problems.  It was helping me in the beginning, though, so I did need to be on it for a while, just not indefinitely.

I also didn't like the dismissive way the doctor treated me.  He gave me the impression that my liver was in way worse condition than it really was and when I asked him what could be done about it he told me to lose weight.  I told him I was intending to join a weight loss clinic through the hospital because it was very hard for me to lose weight and felt I needed the support.  Now mind you, this is a man with barely a protruding stomach, not a real weight issue, but he said, "Tell me about it, I have the same problem, no matter what I do I can't lose this stomach!"  I looked at him like "Seriously, you're going to equate your non-issue with my serious weight problem?"  I was speechless.  

So anyway I was seething for the next few days and wracked with anxiety over what he told me about my liver.  It just so happened that a few weeks later I saw my primary doctor and told her what he told me.  She pulled up my liver test results and scratched her head.  She told me there was absolutely no cause for alarm and that my liver showed no signs of scarring or any kind of permanent damage whatsoever.  She theorized that maybe he was trying to scare me into losing weight.  

At any rate, he is now also my "former gastroenterologist" and next time I am seeing someone else.

Oh, and BTW I just lost another pound, yay, FINALLY!  That makes 23 lbs. so far.  Maybe the Metformin is helping!

I have a massive distrust for doctors after being misdiagnosed too many times, things I figured out myself and they were dismissive (like the ruptured disc in my back that required surgery — no one would listen to me). I suffered for months with that and now have permanent nerve damage due to the neglect.

I suspect it was because I didn’t look like someone with a bad back (young, female, athletic). All they needed to do was an MRI. Assholes. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Sad 6

5,538 steps yesterday.

I've been having the same issues with my pcp. He thinks he knows best despite what I know of my own body. This last experience, after my fall when he wanted to change my med for no known reason is an example. Seemed he was just throwing things at the wall to see what would stick. I flat out refused one he wanted to put me on (a diuretic) as I knew by all the times I was up at night, I didn't need one. I really have to get busy and find a new one before my next yearly exam in August!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 5

For me, the answer has been women doctors. Hands down I've had better experiences with them, with the exception of my wonderful male rheumatologist,  and my former eye doctor of over two decades (sadly, he retired in 2021). My dentists are both men also, and they're great. But the rest? Meh. 

The only female doctor who's been dismissive is the nephrologist. The other docs on my team insist that kidney problems are a feature of my auto-immune disease, and have to be monitored carefully - she disagrees. Unfortunately she's the head neurologist at the hospital all my docs are affiliated with. I have a kidney scan next month and hoping for the best. I probably should have had it several months ago but she said to wait.

• Like 3

Yeah, I am going to be looking for a female pcp. Hopefully there is one at the clinic that is much closer than the male pcp I see now. 

I loved the neurologist I saw after my fall and even told her if she ever switched to pcp I would go to her in a heart beat!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 2