Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

6,862 steps yesterday. Lots of sitting around at the dr's office and driving back and forth took up a lot of walking time.

Turns out I have a serious cataract in my left eye and need surgery asap. I am very afraid of anything being done around my eyes so am very nervous about the whole thing...

I had both of mine done and it was as they say No Big Deal.  There are relaxing drugs and there is no pain.  Your eye is so dilated and numb that you won't know what is happening.  I think I might have heard the doctor say "okay" or "good", but, then they were done.  It is very fast.  You will be amazed on how great your vision will be, even if you need glasses.  I got special lenses but he couldn't guarantee glasses-free because of the shape of my eyeballs, but I have been wearing glasses since second grade and that was never my goal.  I have progressives with no correction up top and gradual to readers.  Things are so much better.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I had eye surgery a few years ago (not cataract). I’m a baby when it comes to putting drops in my own eyes, or having someone else do it . I can administer them to someone else with the greatest of ease. 😂🤣 For me the worst related to the surgery was those darn drops! 

Ginger90.  Are you like Rachel on friends?  Monica had to hold her down and put the drops in.  🤣😪

• LOL 5
3 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Ginger90.  Are you like Rachel on friends?  Monica had to hold her down and put the drops in.  🤣😪

Pretty close! One of my daughters will never let me forget how I carried on. 😂🤣

• LOL 7

6,834 steps yesterday. Shopping helped the count but put me down for most of the rest of the day.

I remembered I had a new jar of CBD cream put away for my arthritis and used some on my knee yesterday and today and it is actually helping so far.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

6,834 steps yesterday. Shopping helped the count but put me down for most of the rest of the day.

I remembered I had a new jar of CBD cream put away for my arthritis and used some on my knee yesterday and today and it is actually helping so far.

Mr. X uses that on his non-replaced knee, and says it does help.  

I'm curious Gram, does your step counter tell you the equivalent in miles?  

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Mr. X uses that on his non-replaced knee, and says it does help.  

I'm curious Gram, does your step counter tell you the equivalent in miles?  

Good to know I've hit on something that will help my knee. It does seem to be helping.

Yes,  it does post the mile equivalent too. Yesterday was about 1.65 mile (I got up once in the night to use the bathroom for 15 steps worth while phone was charging).

• Love 5
On 2/16/2022 at 3:39 PM, xwordfanatik said:

With temps in the 50's, I'm walking outdoors again.  I so look forward to Spring every year.  Only one more month!

Me too! I’m outside all year round, but am enjoying the seasons on Long Island. I even welcome all the rain we get and the humidity. My skin is much happier. 

It’ll be nice not having blistering summers of 120 degrees where the sun is trying to kill me. When people say “but it was a dry heat”, I remind them most people living in AZ aren’t training for marathons in it and lows of 85-90 are no fun. Imagine training before dawn and it’s already almost 90 degrees. When the sun comes up, it jumps over 100 quick. On days I couldn’t get out early, I had to run with an umbrella. 

It may get humid out here, but but it’s the sun that sucks the life out of me—and my running route is in 600 acres of forest. I can’t wait for spring, then summer, then fall and winter. I love them all. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

I hope you perk up!  Are you rested when you wake up?

Yes, I do sleep well thank goodness. 

It has just been so stressful waiting for my surgery appointment. They called today and my left eye will be done Apr 5 and unbeknownst to me my dr scheduled my right eye for Apr 19.  I didn't even know that was going to be done now...he had said right eye was no rush...

• Love 7
On 2/12/2022 at 8:48 AM, Gramto6 said:

6,862 steps yesterday. Lots of sitting around at the dr's office and driving back and forth took up a lot of walking time.

Turns out I have a serious cataract in my left eye and need surgery asap. I am very afraid of anything being done around my eyes so am very nervous about the whole thing...

Cataract surgery is a breeze.   Life changing.  No pain, one day recovery.    I had a fast growing cataract four years ago, then the other eye.   Came home from first surgery, looked around my living room and said "OMG who picked out this paint color".    It is the easiest surgery with the biggest impact.   You will be fine, and have a whole new view of the worl.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, notnowimbusy said:

Cataract surgery is a breeze.   Life changing.  No pain, one day recovery.    I had a fast growing cataract four years ago, then the other eye.   Came home from first surgery, looked around my living room and said "OMG who picked out this paint color".    It is the easiest surgery with the biggest impact.   You will be fine, and have a whole new view of the worl.

Thanks for the input! I am such a baby about anything around my eyes. I know I have to definitely have the left eye done right away, but may want to wait a month or so for the right one. Will decide after left is done...

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Thanks for the input! I am such a baby about anything around my eyes. I know I have to definitely have the left eye done right away, but may want to wait a month or so for the right one. Will decide after left is done...

I believe they like to do both within a month so your vision will be better in both eyes.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I believe they like to do both within a month so your vision will be better in both eyes.

Well it would have been nice if the dr had said that up front. He said no rush with the right eye at the exam... it is just a logistical mess as I live alone and have no one to drive me so have to stay overnight at a motel that will shuttle me to surgery and back. I have 6 feral tiger cats (my "yard tigers") that depend on me for food a couple times a day so I worry about them.

5,798 steps yesterday. This bitter cold is really settling in my knee. I don't want to push it so just taking it easy. It was -3° when I got up yesterday and got all the way to 15° for a high, today it was 10° when I got up and the high may get to 22° LOL a heat wave!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Well it would have been nice if the dr had said that up front. He said no rush with the right eye at the exam... it is just a logistical mess as I live alone and have no one to drive me so have to stay overnight at a motel that will shuttle me to surgery and back. I have 6 feral tiger cats (my "yard tigers") that depend on me for food a couple times a day so I worry about them.

5,798 steps yesterday. This bitter cold is really settling in my knee. I don't want to push it so just taking it easy. It was -3° when I got up yesterday and got all the way to 15° for a high, today it was 10° when I got up and the high may get to 22° LOL a heat wave!

Yes that should be the technician who told you upfront at your assessment.  While my mother hasn't had surgery on hers they did tell her provided the first eye heals well, the second would be done within a month, they actually schedule them both at the assessment.  I'm in my mid 50's and would really like to get surgery because I hate wearing my glasses.  But every time I suggest it to my eye doctor she says it's too soon.  

Yes the cold has been really been bothering me this year.  I had a bout with bone spurs on one of my feet.  So to compensate I limped on the other foot which in turn cause that hip to hurt and its been giving me fits ever since.  It doesn't help that I have to stand and walk for a living.  It's been unusually cold here in Texas.  Yesterday and today ice and temps in the 20's.  Just Monday I wore shorts to work it was in the 80's.  Go figure.  

Gram I hope it warms up so your knee is not so bad.  

• Love 7

One thing people notice is that everything looks bluer after cataract surgery and everything will look yellower with the pre-surgery eye.  Also, if you wear glasses and they put a lens in your eye to correct your vision to 20/20, you cannot just pop out one lens and wear your glasses in between surgeries because a lens in or on the eye has a different focal length than glasses at a distance in front of your eye. So what you see with one eye is bigger than what you see with the other eye and your brain cannot merge the two images (unless you don't need glasses now).

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 6

My dr said I will still need my glasses after the surgery. It is just that the rx may change a bit. Right now I see fine, I guess my right eye is compensating well for the left eye. 

I am afraid to do much research on this surgery...cutting into my eye scares the crap out of me!!

• Love 6

Geesh, I seem to be going down hill quickly. 4,181 steps yesterday. Slept several hours in the evening. Got up around 8AM, fed the yard tigers and then went back to bed for a couple more hours. I don't understand why I am so sleepy...

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Geesh, I seem to be going down hill quickly. 4,181 steps yesterday. Slept several hours in the evening. Got up around 8AM, fed the yard tigers and then went back to bed for a couple more hours. I don't understand why I am so sleepy...

Between your knee and your eyes, you have a great deal going on in your life.  JMO, but your body may be sending you the message that sleep and rest are the best antidotes for now.  I hope this is all behind you soon, we are all on Team Gramto6.

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Between your knee and your eyes, you have a great deal going on in your life.  JMO, but your body may be sending you the message that sleep and rest are the best antidotes for now.  I hope this is all behind you soon, we are all on Team Gramto6.

Thanks! Yeah you are probably right between the pain and stress my bg #'s are running rampant too. It is all exhausting...

• Love 5

Have you tried walking with hiking or Nordic poles? They lessen the strain on knees, give arms a bit of a workout, and lessen the chance of slipping on icy surfaces. Without them I often find myself "protecting" my knee by walking differently, with my muscles tensed, on slippery or questionable surfaces. 

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Have you tried walking with hiking or Nordic poles? They lessen the strain on knees, give arms a bit of a workout, and lessen the chance of slipping on icy surfaces. Without them I often find myself "protecting" my knee by walking differently, with my muscles tensed, on slippery or questionable surfaces. 

I do 99% of my walking inside the house except when I go out to run errands/grocery shop. I have balance issues and I would never walk outside especially ice and snow!

Now I am wondering if the growing cataract was the cause of the balance issues...

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Only managed 3,881 steps yesterday.

Don't feel down about that, you are probably 3600 steps ahead of me and there's nothing wrong with my knee.

• Love 8

5,487 steps yesterday. I took it really easy and yet was surprised at the count for the day. Knee is feeling OK so far...

Need to make a quick run to the pharmacy hoping it doesn't irritate  my knee...

• Love 8