Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: The Honeymoon Begins

• Start Topic

On 8/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, Ilovepie said:

I agree with so much of what you said. I do disagree that it’s the first time there is no villain. Trey and Vanessa, Dave and Amber (although some disagree re:Dave, but I liked him), Will and Jasmine, and Iris and Keith. I don’t think these are horrible people, just horribly mismatched.

I agree with this, except to say that in the case of Iris and Keith the producers/experts were the villains for casting The Virgin.    

On 8/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, DocTerv said:

Producer: Are there particular traits you are looking for in a wife?

Henry: Silence. More silence. Uncomfortable twitch. No. 

And they came to the conclusion he'd be great TV? 

He did say he was looking for a petite lady, so they gave him one who is the same size as him.  Maybe they thought that would make good tv? 😄 

18 hours ago, TheMediumBopper said:

Oh, I totally agree that Henry is ill-suited to the show. In a perverse way, that's sort of what I'm enjoying about him. Apart from that, though, I do see glimpses of a self-deprecating humor here and there... kind of like a low-key (VERY low-key) version of his dad's humor. I also keep thinking about mismatched women from past seasons whom he might have fared better with than Christina. Maybe Amber? (Not the Willem Dafoe/Dallas blonde Amber, but the short little one who was paired with that basketball-playing asshole.) Or maybe Kate? Both of these women are less egotistical than Christina and are easily pleased. And Henry is a veritable prince among men compared to what either of them ended up with.

Amber would have tried to climb him like a tree and given him a heart attack.  Would that be good tv? 😄 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 8/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, Boo Boo said:

Ah, why did I think she lived in NO for four years? I thought that's what she told the brothers -- she didn't date much, she just moved there 4 years ago.

That's what I thought too. I thought she said she'd been in NOLA for four years and hadn't dated much during that time.

3 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

That's what I thought too. I thought she said she'd been in NOLA for four years and hadn't dated much during that time.

That was correct. Humble did a rewatch and confirmed that it was 4 years!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I'm laughing b/c I remember thinking "What? You've been there almost a 1/2 decade."

50 minutes ago, princelina said:

I agree with this, except to say that in the case of Iris and Keith the producers/experts were the villains for casting The Virgin.    

100% accurate! Horrible for both of them - For Keith to be put in that damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, and for Iris to be matched with a man that has a value pack sized box of condoms in his drawer........

• Love 2

First comment from Henry when he saw the statuesque Christina was "Oh, she's tall."  We won't see anything from him for her because he has nothing for her. He's just not interested, therefore he will not be interesting for her either.

And at this point I can't imagine Christina being very attracted to Henry. Besides their obvious differences, when someone has clicked the 'off' button toward you that can't possibly be a turn on - he's shut down, so it's over for both of them before it even began.

Same for Olivia & Brett. I never saw any interest for her from him. She was open at first, but he's been aloof & snarky, which may be his usual but it's a turn off as well. She doesn't want kids so that's his out right there. I think she's going to try harder than he will but I don't think she's interested in him either anymore, which is why she's becoming off putting.

I really don't get all this Henry love.  

He seems like a prick to me.  I mean...i get it...perhaps it's just anxiety.  But who the hell signs up for a reality show with such a crippling problem?  And this reality show?

Perhaps it's not anxiety.  Maybe he's on the spectrum...maybe he's not intetested in who was picked for him...maybe ge's just really selfish and thinks others should do ALL the emotional lifting in relationships.  Idk.  

But whatever the reason is, he's acting like a complete prick. I mean not even bothering to acknowledge another person's existence is pretty messed up.

So why are we all talking about what a nice guy he must be despite his actions?

I think it's time fir her to just move on.  No explanation necessary.  LORD knows he won't object...or even notice if she was just gone in the morning.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ezzy4 said:

But who the hell signs up for a reality show with such a crippling problem?  And this reality show?

Perhaps it's not anxiety.  Maybe he's on the spectrum...maybe he's not intetested in who was picked for him...maybe ge's just really selfish and thinks others should do ALL the emotional lifting in relationships.  Idk.  

Good points.  

I don't know why Henry is on this show.  It's not like this is the first season and no one knows what this show is all about.  This show has been on for 11 seasons.  I can't see why anybody would go on any reality TV show these days.  Producers will twist you into a pretzel to tell the story they want to tell.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

And at this point I can't imagine Christina being very attracted to Henry.

I think it was an almost immediate "no" from her too - from the TH at the end of the wedding night where she couldn't even remember his name, to "his friends are nice" in response to something she likes about him, to "he's a lot different than guys I usually date", to "I'm trying to figure out why the experts paired us together".

Stick a fork in this one, it's done.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I think it was an almost immediate "no" from her too - from the TH at the end of the wedding night where she couldn't even remember his name, to "his friends are nice" in response to something she likes about him, to "he's a lot different than guys I usually date", to "I'm trying to figure out why the experts paired us together".

Stick a fork in this one, it's done.

I think neither were impressed or happy. Christina has got her issues but I give her credit for sincerely trying with a block of wood that is her husband. I am pretty sure that Henry is not trying at all and is just looking for the nearest exit door.

For me, if you sign up from this show, you at least need to make some sort of effort even if you are totally not attracted to the person they have you marry.

1 hour ago, ezzy4 said:

I really don't get all this Henry love.  

He seems like a prick to me.  I mean...i get it...perhaps it's just anxiety.  But who the hell signs up for a reality show with such a crippling problem?  And this reality show?

But whatever the reason is, he's acting like a complete prick. I mean not even bothering to acknowledge another person's existence is pretty messed up.

So why are we all talking about what a nice guy he must be despite his actions?

I think it's time fir her to just move on.  No explanation necessary.  LORD knows he won't object...or even notice if she was just gone in the morning.

People always seem to have a lot of sympathy for non charismatic boring men. I remember overhearing some nurses talking about a 40 year old single doctor who was heating up old McDonald's hamburgers to eat and how they need to "take care of him". He was extremely dull and that just brought out their maternal protective instincts. Usually women are expected to be socially savvy and are usually judged more harshly for not having social graces. I say this as a shy women who is probably quite lacking in the charisma department.

• Love 4
On 8/16/2020 at 11:44 PM, Yeah No said:
On 8/14/2020 at 5:44 PM, rebel2u said:

Henry, I think, is a recruiter for a health care organization.  Brett is the IT guy.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I sure hope Henry is not on the spectrum and that TPTB didn't foist him on Christina knowing that about him.  

Every season this comes up with one of the men on the show.  I have speculated on this with other men but I don't personally think Henry is on any spectrum.  My fancy grad. degree in Psychology and I don't think he's anything more than an introvert with pronounced social anxiety around women.  His job requires social skills plus he seems to have some pretty interesting friends so it looks to me like he suffers less anxiety with other people than with women.

Yes, which is what I said further down in my post.  And my fancy grad degree is in Community Counseling.

Edited by rebel2u
On 8/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, Kira53 said:

I'm pretty sure he said they were monogamous. But that people on the forum interpreted that as serious and started saying Miles said he had serious relationships. I'm open to looking at the clips because I think they will use this clip again. It doesn't matter to me if he said serious.  He is still trying to make a point.I'm sure he also wants to point out that while Woody is his buddy, Miles didn't treat relationships the way Woody has in the past.

I rewatched. During the initial conversation he said monogamous. When they talked about it later, Karen said she'd been in 2 serious relationships. Miles again said he'd been in 10 relationships.

On 8/17/2020 at 7:09 PM, Empress1 said:

Which doesn't necessarily mean serious and/or long. It just means he was only dating one woman at a time. A few of those monogamous relationships could have been in high school and college.

Yep. In one of the earlier episodes Miles said that he was single for two years before MAFS. So those relationships happened by age 24. He also said that he has wanted to be a husband since middle school. Maybe every school year between freshman year of high school and grad school there was a different monogamous relationship. 

Edited by RaeSpellman
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Which doesn't necessarily mean serious and/or long. It just means he was only dating one woman at a time. A few of those monogamous relationships could have been in high school and college.

That was my point.  No shade on 10 monogamous relationships.  If you are wise, you learn from relationships.  Karen has two relationships.  The guy in her last relationship had a baby with someone else, right?  Has she had enough relationships?