Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: The Honeymoon Begins

• Start Topic

I hope you are right about Henry. I actually felt sorry for Christina this episode because she seemed like she was really trying and having fun with Henry was like squeezing water from a stone.

I agree that Christina is trying and I give her a lot of credit for that. Having said that, I wonder if she asked Henry what he finds fun. I sense that his idea of fun might be lying by the pool and people watching. I enjoy that as well. At a resort like that, I'd like to do some activities but especially after the whirlwind of marrying a stranger, I'd probably like some downtime too.

Again, what is with him not being allowed to brush his teeth without her?

I think that a lot of people, before they get married, have a picture in their minds of what it will. They'll have dinner together every night and discuss their days. They'll go to bed at the same time and lights out at the same time. They'll brush their teeth side-by-side, fulfilling the purpose of the dual sinks in the master bedroom. I don't think this runs any deeper than that. When you get to real life you realize that a lot of that stuff falls away.

Miles confesses to being depressed...

I hope that isn't used for manufactured drama. Plenty of people, myself included, have clinical depression. As long as you manage it, it doesn't have to be a problem. I think Karen has a right to know but other than that, it doesn't have to be an issue. Also I noticed that in her TH last night, she said she wanted to be with someone who told her how he was feeling and I giggled because she was so upset to discover the night before her wedding that her intended had social media full of videos about his feelings.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Just a few thoughts. . .

I kind of liked that they were showing the couples having real conversations to get to know each other. It is really obvious to see the couples who are really into each other.

I really like Miles and I hope he is truly the man he appears to be and I hope that Karen lets herself trust him. I think he is genuine. And, while some people didn't like her question asking him if his mother signed a permission slip to go on the honeymoon, I thought it was great and it showed that she was capable of teasing him a little. When he kept calling her a cougar (which I don't think 4 years older qualifies), I loved that she threw back at him that he was younger. By the way, he seems much more mature than she does and seem to have himself figured out, which is great.

It is just plain awkward watching Christina and Henry. They sat so far apart from each  other when the couples were together. I am not a fan of Christina, but I also noticed that when she said she couldn't figure out why they matched her with hi,, it looked like she was going to say more, but didn't. And she sure hasn't figured it out yet, because there was no reason. Henry is just sad, but I did notice he may have a temper when he was complaining that she was rowing the kayak all wrong. I think Christina may have just decided to do whatever she can to make the best of this disaster and have a good time. Unfortunately he seems to be allergic to fun. But, the saddest art for me is when they do his TH and he seems to think everything is great.

I am not getting Amani and Woody. They are both smitten and that is great. He seems to be fine with waiting for sex, especially since she seems to invite him to shower with her several times a day. That's what I don't get. To me, showering together is much more intimate than having sex. But, I guess at their age they aren't fighting gravity when they stand up! Her voice is still annoying to me, but I think they will be fine. He is somehow starting to appear to be the "father figure" to me, giving advice to Miles snd some of his other statements.. 

Amelia and Bennett are also fine. The pretend drama at her having to relocate was dumb. He will go wherever she is.

Olivia is very nice, but I do sense some rigidity in some areas. Again, what is with him not being allowed to brush his teeth without her? And, no, Olivia, peeing in the shower is not what most girls do. I am one who sees no problem with Brett dating until he was selected. Even if you have a good job interview, you don't stop looking until you get the offer.

I fell asleep before it was over (and I thought the show was boring). Did anything look good in th previews?

I still think Karen is 40, not 30.  I mean, fuck, 4 years is nothing.  Makes more sense to me if she's older to be focusing on his youth.

I also don't get her 10 serious relationship is something to be concerned about.  Serious doesn't mean any of them resulted in an engagement.  It just means you finally have a guy that treats a relationship as meaningful and isn't playing around like your last boyfriend.

On Olivia, def. some rigidity.  I don't think she's nearly as adventurous and unsure about children as she says she is.  I don't feel like she's authentic.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I found the conversations refreshing this episode. Many of them were mature (Amani & Woody’s sex talk) and sensible getting to know you conversations - really, good first date conversations.

I definitely like this season so far, especially since not every conversation is "How do you think things are going?" I feel like the past couple of seasons didn't really give us much in the way of getting to know all that much beyond the surface about the participants - the focus was on drama and yelling. 

OMG Bennett admitting that he has a crush! So adorable!

Edited by Mercolleen
next scene started
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Ms.C. said:

I’m personally curious to see how much weight Henry gains by end of season.  He eats compulsively to avoid talking or engaging.   This must be a therapy season.  

That's exactly what i thought about Karen. She's constantly eating.....to avoid interaction? Maybe she and Henry should have been matched. They could happily not talked to each other.

That being said, I can't believe Henry is friends with the mean girls. I bet they just keep him around for when they need a ride, a favor, a maintenance project at home.

I have no upper arm strength so I was very impressed with Olivia in the rings challenge.

• Love 10

I think I lost my post somewhere, so I’ll repeat.  I think Olivia is rigid about things in marriage.  She seems to have a chart on what her marriage should be.  Meet Mr. Right, get married, have sex twice a week, say Mondays and Saturdays, eat together every night, brush teeth at 10 pm together, probably not have kids.  LaLa land, my dear.  There is no schedule.  You go with the flow .. everyday is different.  She’s very nice, but not for Brett.  I think Brett would prefer the type of woman who is more open to things.  We will see.  I might be wrong.  Just my opinion.

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

On Olivia, def. some rigidity.  I don't think she's nearly as adventurous and unsure about children as she says she is.  I don't feel like she's authentic.

I'm still having a hard believing she was a competitive cheerleader.  Would this have been in college?

I just don't get  enthusiasm from her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, OnTime said:

I'm still having a hard believing she was a competitive cheerleader.  Would this have been in college?

I just don't get  enthusiasm from her.

Right?!  I know she comes off as very sweet, but there's something about her that makes me think she's Debbie Downer who is pretending to be this fun loving adventurous, not sure about children girl because she's typically a clingy, whiny person and it's driven men away.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Does anyone think Henry might be autistic?  His lack of eye contact and social graces makes me think so.  I just binged Dating on the spectrum (on Netflix) yesterday and think he might be high functioning.   I expected to dislike Christina far more than I do.  I think she’s been incredibly patient.

Brett is also much more likable than I thought he would be but my guess is that Bachelor party Brett will rear his ugly head soon.

Honestly, the only one I don’t like is Karen.  She should have just refused to get married and saved themselves both a lot of grief.

• Love 5

I watched about 2/3rds of this episode. I like dramatic episodes but this was nice to see all the couples getting along for the most part.

Bennett & Amelia

I still worry that Amelia is taking too much for granted that she can marry someone and then move from one place to another to pursue her career. Is she willing to support her spouse if he moves around with her? I don't know who or how she gets funded. Is she 100k in the whole with student loans? They can't think about kids for at least a while...adopting maybe something to consider.

Woody & Amani

Its surprising how many people in this season seem to have or had serious mental health issues. So far this couple is doing really well clicking in just about every way.  I'm sure they'll have issues but there is a lot of hope...

Brett & Olivia

I guess Brett had some wild eradicate behavior in some of the previous episodes that I didn't watch so everyone thinks he's just waiting to do something terrible. Hey maybe he just sewed some last moment oats and now is settling down. I heard something like 40% of people admit to peeing in the shower which probably means closer to 60% do it. I did it once many years ago but never since. It is a bit of a repulsive habit...I certainly wouldn't have mentioned it to the public. Funny for a couple that won't share about whether they had sex.

Henry & Christina

I give Christina more credit than I did originally, she is being a trooper trying to turn a jumble of nerves and insecurities into something 'fun'. She could easily have thrown in the towel like some other participants who were less than thrilled with their pick. That said I suspect she'll move on. I keep hoping we'll discover something about Henry that is really cool or some talent or skill he has...but not yet.

Miles & Karen

Miles may have been exaggerating a bit about how many serious relationships he had. I seriously doubt he was close to marrying 10 other people. Karen has to guard against expecting failure or projecting past hurts into the current relationship. You can doom a relationship by self fulfilling prophesy. 

Looks like next episode the participants shake off some of the honeymoon dust and start to find out just who the hell they married...

• Love 9

I also give Christina credit.  She was a lot more kind, gentle and willing than I would've expected her to be.  To the point where I genuinely feel sorry for her that she was paired with him.

• Love 15

I think Brett puts up an act around other guys. He likes to give them the impression that he is big man on campus, that he's had a lot of women, etc. It's all an act for the bros. Maybe it was a defense mechanism that he developed growing up and dealing with his overbearing brothers.

Then when Brett is around women, his real self comes out. He's insecure around women since most women have rejected him. How else would he have accumulated so many first dates. He knows he's not a hot stud. He just puts up that front around his dude-bros.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

If I was Christina/Henry, I would have been so embarrassed in that group date where everyone was talking about their their attraction so far. It was painful watching them try to explain their "slow start." It would have been less embarrassing saying, "Y'know what? We ain't feeling it, so who knows? What about you, Karen?"

Of course, Karen was too busy eating to notice or contribute to the conversation.

Miles thinks being "her stranger" is a step up. 🙄

Imagine how he'll feel when she refers to him as her husband! (Don't hold your breath. She won't.)

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

🙄

Imagine how he'll feel when she refers to him as her husband! (Don't hold your breath. She won't.)

Karen was online on the second night of their romantic honeymoon applying to get added on Miles' insurance as his spouse.

Surprised Miles spilled the tea on what was important to Mrs. Williams.....better cheaper health insurance...Isn't love grand?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

I also give Christina credit.  She was a lot more kind, gentle and willing than I would've expected her to be.  To the point where I genuinely feel sorry for her that she was paired with him.

Maybe Christina is a Florence Nightingale type that feels compassion for Henry that turns into love? Just a thought.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Boo Boo said:

I still think Karen is 40, not 30.  I mean, fuck, 4 years is nothing.  Makes more sense to me if she's older to be focusing on his youth.

I think it is because he is in his "twenties".  She is stuck on that.

If he was 30 and she was 34 she wouldn't be harping on the age difference. She is probably thinking, he can finally get a rental car and has to be off his parent's health insurance.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

There's an old saying that goes, "There are two types of people in the world - those that pee in the shower and LIARS".

Well then, call me a liar - I have never done it! It honestly never even occurred to me that people do that until well past marriage when talking to my husband one time. I might put shoes in my suitcase on top of my clothes and sit on my bed fully clothed, but apparently I have found the limit on what grosses me out! 😛

I freaking love Woody and Amani. They might be my favorite MAFS couple of all time. I loved the outing in the boat - it looked like so much fun. The ease of conversation between the four of them was nice. "Bop! Bop!" made me laugh, and it was the first time it seemed Karen removed the stick up her butt. I swear, she is in a race with Henry for most boring. Do you think either of them will speak in anything other than monotone the entire series????

I seriously feel sorry for Cristine. Imagine having to quarantine with him. She did not get married to have a project "fixing" this guy. Shame on his friends for browbeating him into doing this (that is the only explanation I can find for how he ended up here), and shame on the  experts for picking him.

So far so good with Olivia and Brett, but this is not going to last. And I don't know why they are being so coy about the sex. I can't decide if it's because they have since he's obviously not picky and a total hound dog, or because they haven't and they don't want to discuss it. I'm with totally with Bennett - I want to know! Speaking of......

I cannot believe Bennett went swimming in his underwear! What a doofus! But again, nice seeing people having fun. And that is how you react to your spouse ACCIDENTALLY losing their wedding ring, Iris!

I thought Bennett and Amelia looked completely greasy in their first breakfast scene, but I kind of liked Amelia's tied off top and bohemian skirt when they were playing chess. Not my style at all, but a good look for her. Her non-response when Bennett asked if she would settle somewhere after residency was a little concerning.

And for real, that Xcaret resort looks amazing. My husband and I went on an excursion to the Xcaret nature preserve and water park 17 years ago for our 5th anniversary when we were in Cancun. It was cool, but I don't think that resort was there. I totally want to go back and stay there!

• Love 9
1 minute ago, OnTime said:

If he was 30 and she was 34 she wouldn't be harping on the age difference. She is probably thinking, he can finally get a rental car and has to be off his parent's health insurance.

Yeah, I'm sure they aren't going to have someone lying about their age?  But he's a mature 26 year old.  I don't get the hangup unless she did lie about her age and she's late 30s.  

I think Karen just has one terrible picker.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I freaking love Woody and Amani. They might be my favorite MAFS couple of all time. I loved the outing in the boat - it looked like so much fun. The ease of conversation between the four of them was nice. "Bop! Bop!" made me laugh, and it was the first time it seemed Karen removed the stick up her butt. I swear, she is in a race with Henry for most boring. Do you think either of them will speak in anything other than monotone the entire series????

YES! I think Woody and Amani could have a wonderful life together.  I loved how fun that scene was and Amani's comments on the cougar stuff.  She's awesome.  And it was nice the way she drew Karen out.  Hopefully there is more to Karen than what we've seen.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, princelina said:

I think all of the couples who have stayed together have had sex on the honeymoon

It can also backfire spectacularly, as it did in season 2 when violent douchebag Ryan later slut-shamed Jessica and basically called her a whore for having sex on the wedding night.  They were both instantly attracted to one another and couldn't keep their hands off each other at the reception. I think he said something along the lines that if he'd met her at the club and then slept with her that first night, he never would have called her again. But she was fully invested in the marriage at the start and didn't see anything wrong with consummating the marriage straight away. He was the worst douche they've ever had on this show.

Anyway, back to this week's episode.

I absolutely love Bennett and Amelia. I think he's really handsome, and they are obviously both smitten with one another. The scene where he admitted his crush was adorable. The fact that she isn't fazed by his nightgown shows how much they are on the same page.

Amani and Woody are having some great, sensible conversations that are delving below the surface. Woody comes across as a little annoying, but maybe it's on-camera nerves which make him act the goat. I'm sure there's much more to him than we've seen. He also has a great physique, so I can imagine Amani is feeling very lucky that such a hot man was selected for her.

Karen and Miles were pretty low-key this week. I don't see it as a red flag that he's had a series of relationships. He seems sensible and grounded. I loved Karen in those sunglasses. They are a good-looking couple who will have gorgeous babies.

Olivia is, as others have said, pretty rigid. I live by myself, and I know that the longer I'm alone, the less likely I feel I want to accommodate someone else living with me. I have my quirks, likes and dislikes and I would find it difficult to relax (in The Beforetimes) when I had people staying for a few days if things were not done or left exactly how I like them. So I get it, I really do, but if Olivia's been single for three-and-a-half years, I think she's going to need to work on letting things go. But Brett is currently on his best behaviour and, having seen his brothers and his behaviour at the bachelor party, I think he is going to hit the immoveable object that is Olivia's unwillingness to be flexible and it's not going to be pretty.

I bet Christina is furious that she's been paired with such a wet blanket. I can't say I like her particularly, but I do feel sorry for her. They're in an absolutely gorgeous resort with lots of activities and he's scared of everything, even a tiny trampoline. He's so afraid of doing anything that might provoke any kind of reaction from Christina, so instead does nothing. Ugh. He's nice looking but has zero substance, from what we've seen so far. Maybe he'll find a backbone at some point but I doubt it.

Edited by essexjan
typo
  • Love 14
17 minutes ago, OnTime said:

15 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

Yeah, I'm sure they aren't going to have someone lying about their age?  But he's a mature 26 year old.  I don't get the hangup unless she did lie about her age and she's late 30s.  

I think Karen just has one terrible picker.

I think she is just not that attracted to him even though he seems like a great guy. There will be plenty of takers in NOLA if she drops him. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, OnTime said:

The best part of the show was Amelia doing that somersault into the pool!

Her swimsuit looked loose...thinking it would come floating to the surface after she splashed in deep.

The balcony is a good 8+ feet above the water surface (think the lower platform not the higher diving platform ) so it is scary jumping in for the first time but the river is deep so after the first time you do stupid stunts off the edge...like losing your ring...

Amani rocked her swimset. She looked confident, comfortable and terrific.

Appreciate seeing natural, healthy, strong women's bodies not jacked up.

Betcha Bennett had to resist the urge to go swimming ala natural....it is so tempting to jump off his balcony in his birthday suit wearing a big grin on his face...

Liked it that they did morning swims to take advantage of a river suite....that is why they were wet at breakky.

Woody expressed it was disrespectful of Bennie to be in his underwear in front of Amani...but since it was quirky, lovable Bennett it was aight.

Benmelia needed the memo to bring more than one swimsuit...one drying and one to put on....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, essexjan said:

I bet Christina is furious that she's been paired with such a wet blanket. I can't say I like her particularly, but I do feel sorry for her. They're in an absolutely gorgeous resort with lots of activities and he's scared of everything, even a tiny trampoline. He's so afraid of doing anything that might provoke any kind of reaction from Christina, so instead does nothing. Ugh. He's nice looking but has zero substance, from what we've seen so far. Maybe he'll find a backbone at some point but I doubt it.

I agree with everything you said. ^^^And this part - ugh, I don't think I'm particularly adventurous but Henry makes me look like Evil Knievel. What a drip. Can you imagine if he had gone on that speedboat? He would have peed his pants.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Boo Boo said:

YES! I think Woody and Amani could have a wonderful life together.

I sooooooo want to believe this, but I'm still getting Chicago Nate vibes from Woody!!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, OnTime said:

I sooooooo want to believe this, but I'm still getting Chicago Nate vibes from Woody!!

Amani needs to ask Woodrow to pop his car's trunk and look for stiletto heels, discarded bra, empty Costco sized boxes of condoms, empty bottles of mouthwash, lube...not it is not the same as hand sanitizer...good try, though.....

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I watched about 2/3rds of this episode. I like dramatic episodes but this was nice to see all the couples getting along for the most part.

Bennett & Amelia

I still worry that Amelia is taking too much for granted that she can marry someone and then move from one place to another to pursue her career. Is she willing to support her spouse if he moves around with her? I don't know who or how she gets funded. Is she 100k in the whole with student loans? They can't think about kids for at least a while...adopting maybe something to consider.

Woody & Amani

Its surprising how many people in this season seem to have or had serious mental health issues. So far this couple is doing really well clicking in just about every way.  I'm sure they'll have issues but there is a lot of hope...

Brett & Olivia

I guess Brett had some wild eradicate behavior in some of the previous episodes that I didn't watch so everyone thinks he's just waiting to do something terrible. Hey maybe he just sewed some last moment oats and now is settling down. I heard something like 40% of people admit to peeing in the shower which probably means closer to 60% do it. I did it once many years ago but never since. It is a bit of a repulsive habit...I certainly wouldn't have mentioned it to the public. Funny for a couple that won't share about whether they had sex.

Henry & Christina

I give Christina more credit than I did originally, she is being a trooper trying to turn a jumble of nerves and insecurities into something 'fun'. She could easily have thrown in the towel like some other participants who were less than thrilled with their pick. That said I suspect she'll move on. I keep hoping we'll discover something about Henry that is really cool or some talent or skill he has...but not yet.

Miles & Karen

Miles may have been exaggerating a bit about how many serious relationships he had. I seriously doubt he was close to marrying 10 other people. Karen has to guard against expecting failure or projecting past hurts into the current relationship. You can doom a relationship by self fulfilling prophesy. 

Looks like next episode the participants shake off some of the honeymoon dust and start to find out just who the hell they married...

I'm really enjoying this season and the couples.  I think all of them are well matched.

Who couldn't love Bennett and Amelia?  They have such interesting, kind conversations.  A nice respect for each others things we find odd.  A bird nest in her hair.  A nightgown on him.

Actually I loved Bennett in his underwear.  What the heck everything was covered and I'm sure he has his reasons..doesn't like to shop or they are comfy just like he is.

Henry and Christina might be ok.  He's slowing her roll.  Didn't she have many lovers but things always went wrong with the 'type' she chose.

Henry is slow and easy but he grows on you.  I love her smile when Henry does just about anything and I like how Henry is trying to get with the process.  We'll see but somewhere I once read 'still waters run deep'!

Woody and Armani.  They have a spark.  They both seem committed to being married and both aren't rushing the physical but enjoying each other. 

Karen and Miles both want to be married and happy but maybe not with each other.  He needs to never again mention her age.  Somebody up thread said maybe she's older...humm.  It's a sore spot for sure.  She's beautiful and he's appearing very caring so we'll see.    I did like his response to her question 'is he ready to be a husband'.  He's a young man with a big responsibility in his job but somebody that hired him thinks he's just right.  I hope he'll be just right for her. 

• Love 6

Henry reached maximum wet blanket level when a small set of stairs was hard for him to handle. 
Sometimes Bennett and Amelia strike me as asexual. I’m sure that’s not the case but they have more of a friend vibe to me. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, essexjan said:

I think Henry is above average in the looks dept so its odd he seems so sheltered and awkward. Could he be a virgin? This is a cautionary tale for parents find something your kids are good at and make them excel at it. Tennis, chess, swimming, golfing, playing piano whatever it is. Being good at something gives you confidence in other things...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

So, it that how it is now.  Get married to someone for health insurance?  My niece is 63 yrs old and still looking for a man.  Her reason?  She wants to retire and have someone support her, preferably someone who has a good pension also.  Not for love, but for money.  Very romantic.  No takers so far.

• LOL 5
18 hours ago, Archer27 said:

Thank you. They are now retelling a story that I have heard several times...(sorry to complain)

By my leaving, I meant to go to my bedroom and watch it on the tv in there, but I won't. 

I would definitely be in the bedroom watching.  Your company can do without you for a little while or be nice and watch what you want to watch.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I still worry that Amelia is taking too much for granted that she can marry someone and then move from one place to another to pursue her career. Is she willing to support her spouse if he moves around with her?

I thought that she had mentioned early on (in the matchmaking episodes) that she wanted (not a direct quote here, just concept) someone who would be into being a stay-at-home dad/husband while she worked, so given that and the fact that he lives in a shed with no bathroom and seems pretty freewheeling (not a pun on the nightgown), I'd be surprised if Bennett has a problem with moving around with her. I think that's the most manufactured drama they could come up with for possibly the best-suited couple I've ever seen on this show. 

Also, I couldn't help  but notice the possible editing/timing quirk on first night with B & A ... she was wearing those turquoise checkered onesies when they went to bed, but then the rainbow striped turtleneck sweater when they woke up, and wore that same top to go go bed that night. 

I am with the small group of us here that has a little TV crush on Bennett myself. I'm more than twice his age, but when I watch the show and vaguely recollect my younger days, he's totally the guy I'd have been crushing on and looks like most of the guys I was into in the '70s/'80s (and even quite a bit like the pix I have seen of Mr. Snappy in the '70s when he had longer crazy hair). 

YeahNo, I am also Ashkenazi (100%, Ancestry.com didn't give me even a hint of Cossacks having their way with my ancestors despite all my mom's friends calling me "the shiksa") and NYC-born and raised ... maybe we hung out together back in the day and didn't even know it?

I really like B/A, Woody and Amani and Miles and Karen (especially if she'd loosen up a bit and realize what an amazing guy she was paired with). I don't see the other two couples lasting. 

I'd been wondering what the timing was on the filming of this and yes, it will be REALLY interesting to see how they handle the hunkering (hope they all have air-conditioning). But I'm really glad the sh*t didn't hit the fan until after their honeymoons. 

Finally, I have to keep reminding myself on the timelines here ... it feels to me like they've been together forever since we've been watching for so many weeks, so it brought me up short when they reminded us that they have all only known each other for 3 days. So I'm willing to give them a break on not sleeping together yet (especially since their parents will be watching). 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I think Henry is above average in the looks dept so its odd he seems so sheltered and awkward. Could he be a virgin? This is a cautionary tale for parents find something your kids are good at and make them excel at it. Tennis, chess, swimming, golfing, playing piano whatever it is. Being good at something gives you confidence in other things...

He might be on the spectrum.  You know, the show has to touch every person to be fair.  I can see that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I feel for Henry.  I don't think it's strange that he's never left the country before.  I didn't get my first passport until I was 23; I know many people who have never left the US, there are so many interesting and beautiful places in the US to visit, it's not unusual to me. 

But he's 35 years old and apparently hasn't gone to many (or maybe any) of the interesting and beautiful places in the U.S.  He just doesn't seem like he wants to travel.  So the knock on him (if there is one in this regard) shouldn't be that he hasn't traveled internationally, but that he hasn't traveled at all

"That may be as crazy as I've ever done" as a reaction to jumping on a ground-level extremely padded mini-trampoline?  This is not a good match for someone like Christina. 

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

One thing I did like was to see the two black couples enjoying the water!  Take that to the ignorant people who many years ago believed that black people couldn't learn to swim.

Plus having a white guy be the one who was unsure of his swimming abilities!  Okay...it's Henry.  But it's something. 

These days, it's more that black people don't learn to swim, not that they can't.  Because, as usual, they have fewer opportunities to learn.  It's actually one of my favorite charities--free swimming lessons for poor kids.  It benefits the kids pretty much exclusively.

In other news, the calluses on Brett's hands were really something.  I wonder how he got them.  The ones at the base of his fingers I get, but on his palm, too? 

I liked Olivia's performance on the rings. 

• Love 4

Who couldn't love Bennett and Amelia?

Me. I just don't. I even tried because everyone else seems to. I'm agnostic on Bennett but Amelia just bugs me. And I want to scrub them both down, brush them off, and smooth out the wrinkles. They are always a mess - even on their wedding day.

• Love 6

I watched the episode today. Some thoughts:

I love Amelia and Bennett. They have a natural ease with one another...similar to Amani and Woody. I think these two couples will make it. 

Karen and Miles seem to get along well, but I wonder how they will do once they are home. They seem to be so different from one another. 

Brett...ugh. I try to like him, but he is super annoying to me. Olivia is adorable. I do not have much hope for them. 

Christina and Henry seem have zero chemistry. He is a nervous Nellie, which is such a turn off.  

• Love 3

Christina is one of my least favorites, ever.  Keeps harping on herself as such a seasoned, world traveler, and how she "has" to show Henry this, or that, for his first time.  Like, give the dude a break.  Why doesn't Henry show Christina what he likes to do?  Hang by the pool, grab a book and a cold drink, relax for an afternoon.  She acts holier-than-thou, better than him, and how "excited" she is to show him all these worldly things, like he's a 5 year-old.

She reminds me of this guy I had one date with when I was 24.  He asked me when was the last time I was in Paris.  Not if I've ever been, but the last time.  Ummmkay.  When I said I hadn't been, he stopped, and stared, and said.....''Wait.....you're 24, and you've never been to Paris???"  Yeah, last time I saw him.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7

Okay I'll say this in Henry's defense. For such a sheltered guy he took the big chance with MAFS and as painfully awkward as he is, he's going through with it. In a way I think Christina feels sorry for him so I'm glad she's not kicking him in the shorts while he's trying. 

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Christina said that she wonders what made them pair her with Henry. I think it’s fair to say that most viewers are wondering about that too.

Karen seems to be trying to find a reason to dump Miles.

I am curious about how Olivia and Brett responded on the questionnaire with regards to having children. Clearly, they are not on the same page. I have a feeling Brett is going to use that as his “out”.

Children may be used as his "out", but if he's being honest about his desire to have kids (and she's being honest about not wanting kids) why consider it an "out" at all? They should NOT be together with conflicting approaches to a major life change. Both should accept that they aren't compatible and move on. And the pressure should then switch to the show/experts/casting directors who matched them...or, as you mentioned, the questionnaire that each completed to determine if one or both were lying.

Edited by LaLaLaLa
Clarification
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, LaLaLaLa said:

Children may be used as his "out", but if he's being honest about his desire to have kids (and she's being honest about not wanting kids) why consider it an "out" at all? They should NOT be together with conflicting approaches to a major life change. Both should accept that they aren't compatible and move on. And the pressure should then switch to the show/experts/casting directors who matched them...or, as you mentioned, the questionnaire that each completed to determine if one or both were lying.

Yeah, there's enough drama w/o purposefully pairing people that have the major pass/fail of children, religion, animals.  

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Archer27 said:

Christina and Henry seem have zero chemistry.

Another of my favorite Amani moments: her expression in the TH when trying to describe Henry and Cristina.

It's probably too much to ask from this show, but it would be so refreshing if when they do the "Do you want to continue?" episode halfway through, if she just said, "No, I do not". We are not a good match. This is going nowhere."

But still, I would like to reiterate what a better season this is compared to last season. By now, we had the Meka and Michael liar storyline going and Brandon passive aggressively ignoring Taylor all day.  So far, the only drama here is that Henry is a dud......

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, VAMom said:

Does anyone think Henry might be autistic?  His lack of eye contact and social graces makes me think so.  I just binged Dating on the spectrum (on Netflix) yesterday and think he might be high functioning.   I expected to dislike Christina far more than I do.  I think she’s been incredibly patient.

Brett is also much more likable than I thought he would be but my guess is that Bachelor party Brett will rear his ugly head soon.

Honestly, the only one I don’t like is Karen.  She should have just refused to get married and saved themselves both a lot of grief.

Wow. Your comment made me actually have to get up and go find my password...lol. I have thought from the ceremony episodes that he is on the spectrum. The more I watch him, the more I'm convinced. Especially last night, it's his mannerisms.. like when he constantly looks to the side when speaking or being spoken to.

Christina is not what I expected her to be at all, I agree again!

Karen should have sat this experiment out and watched it from home with the rest of us. But who knows.. by episode 6 he may have her swinging from the chandelier.. DOUBT IT! Lol.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

I would definitely be in the bedroom watching.  Your company can do without you for a little while or be nice and watch what you want to watch.

Why are people having friends over in the first place?  Nobody's coming into my house but the people who live there.  If everybody did that...

4 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

Miles may have been exaggerating a bit about how many serious relationships he had. I seriously doubt he was close to marrying 10 other people. 

He said he was in 10 "monogamous relationships."  I don't even know what that means because I've always equated relationships with being monogamous, all without being even close to marrying someone.  But I'm old.

3 hours ago, essexjan said:

Woody comes across as a little annoying, but maybe it's on-camera nerves which make him act the goat. I'm sure there's much more to him than we've seen.

I've seen enough.  And I'd let him refer to me as "wifey" exactly once.  And I don't like the way his beard moves when he talks and they're shooting him from the side.  And don't get me started on that little shrug dance.

4 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I agree that Christina is trying and I give her a lot of credit for that. Having said that, I wonder if she asked Henry what he finds fun. I sense that his idea of fun might be lying by the pool and people watching. I enjoy that as well. At a resort like that, I'd like to do some activities but especially after the whirlwind of marrying a stranger, I'd probably like some downtime too.

Well, he could always just tell her what he finds fun, without her having to ask him.  But he doesn't even speak when asked questions, so I doubt he's going to just offer up words.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 4

I’m shocked by how much I’m enjoying Amani and Woody, who is thus far dropping the player persona. I hope he stays just as genuine with her. They are my favorite couple so far and have the best communication!

I still love Miles. He’s just the right amount of goofy and teasing. He should realize that someone as overanalytical and faultfinding as Karen is not going to laugh at his cougar jokes, although I recognize he’s probably just trying to make her more comfortable about the age gap. Again, four years is nothing and it’s ridiculous that it even has to be discussed. She’ll always be stuck on the fact that he’s in his 20s and she’s looking for an escape route. Now it’s the relationship thing. Next week they are setting it up  to make it look like she interprets his disclosure of his depression diagnosis as another overemotional flaw - so help me if she actually does that, especially with the stigma around Black men and mental health. Notice her subtle pretension when she implied she was more selective or serious than him for only having two exes. Your last boyfriend not only impregnated someone else, but kept it secret for at least nine months before you found out! Sit back down.

I am impressed with how much of a good sport prissy Christina is being with Henry, but it’s like watching someone babysit a five-year-old. It’s a very weird dynamic. That patience is going to wear out fast when they have to move in together and she’s no longer dragging him around the resort.  

My crush on Bennett was officially solidified when they asked him if he had a crush on Amelia and he looked around to see if she was within earshot despite them being married. He’s such a pure soul and just a delightful person. I hope that they will be added to couples cam next season. The moving drama is obviously manufactured to add a false sense of suspense, which becomes particularly clear when you realize it’s mostly edited pauses and silences in conversation edited as fake reaction shots. 

• Love 13

All I can say about Henry is "there's no there there." Out of all the men in that hotel conference room applying to be on the show the experts pick this bland cardboard cutout to get married at first sight. The experts must really have it in for Christina. What is she supposed to do with what she's been given? She's pretty "special" so maybe they wanted to match her with the most dull, unimaginative, insipid man they could find for her and make her work for everything. The scenes with these two are painful to watch. Henry/Luke was friendzoned at the altar when she couldn't remember his name during the interview.

Miles should cut out all the jokes about Karen being a cougar. It obviously irritates her. She's already selfconcious about the age difference and keeps bringing it up.

Brett and Olivia - I'm waiting for the inevitable shoe to drop which we know is coming.

Bennett and Amelia - love these two so far.

Amani and Woody - good match so far. They seem very comfortable with each other.

• Love 5

This will be an unpopular opinion BUT I don't understand the love for Olivia.

She's plain, seems unenthusiastic and boring (even Karen showed more life than Olivia this episode), and, as a few others have mentioned, comes across as rigid.

I was amazed that she was somewhat athletic (capable at rings but wasn't really interested in the rest of the course) although I find it hard to believe she was a cheerleader (maybe pom-poms in elementary school?).

In fact, to this point, Brett is far more interesting, engaging, and accommodating...and definitely more athletic and puts more effort into presenting himself. I know a lot of people are waiting for "the real Brett" to show up but I side with Brett at this point.

If he truly is determined to have kids, he should end this "marriage" ASAP...although I'm sure he'll finish the season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, LaLaLaLa said:

Henry: "I think our personalities complement each other."

Uhh...Henry, you don't have a personality. 

Somewhere in the back of my murky mind, I sort of recall a conversation that Dr. Pep had with him, (in his home), where he actually dropped a few bits of droll, dry humor.  I remember thinking...."mmmm...maybe there IS a genuine quirky side of Henry."  And perhaps he was able to share that with Dr. P. once he was comfortable with her.  Hopefully, that glimpse of him will surface with Christina.  (He DOES seem to have some true friends in his life, so there's probably a side to him that he's been too camera-shy to honestly project in this experiment.  (One can dream, I guess!) ☺️

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, LaLaLaLa said:

This will be an unpopular opinion BUT I don't understand the love for Olivia.

She's plain, seems unenthusiastic and boring (even Karen showed more life than Olivia this episode), and, as a few others have mentioned, comes across as rigid.

I was amazed that she was somewhat athletic (capable at rings but wasn't really interested in the rest of the course) although I find it hard to believe she was a cheerleader (maybe pom-poms in elementary school?).

In fact, to this point, Brett is far more interesting, engaging, and accommodating...and definitely more athletic and puts more effort into presenting himself. I know a lot of people are waiting for "the real Brett" to show up but I side with Brett at this point.

If he truly is determined to have kids, he should end this "marriage" ASAP...although I'm sure he'll finish the season.

It’s interesting to see another viewpoint. Yeah, I can see Olivia being those things to some.

I guess some people believe she had good motives for being on the show and Brett might just be into getting his 15 minutes if fame.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, TzuShih said:

Somewhere in the back of my murky mind, I sort of recall a conversation that Dr. Pep had with him, (in his home), where he actually dropped a few bits of droll, dry humor.  I remember thinking...."mmmm...maybe there IS a genuine quirky side of Henry."  And perhaps he was able to share that with Dr. P. once he was comfortable with her.  Hopefully, that glimpse of him will surface with Christina.  (He DOES seem to have some true friends in his life, so there's probably a side to him that he's been too camera-shy to honestly project in this experiment.  (One can dream, I guess!) ☺️

Henry was never the life of the party but he was more animated before he met Christina. He also did not seem to be particularly shy of the camera. It was kind of like how Brandon came off as low key charming before he met Taylor last season.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Brett‘s villainous reputation came from his Boorish behavior at the bachelor party, bragging sexploit talk with his brothers and his high opinion of his own attractiveness.

Brett also hit on Henry's friend, invading her personal space in a really douchey way and then asked the waitress to "hit him up" using the oh-so-cute "phone to ear" gesture and a wink and tongue-click.  He certainly is at least trying to get into the marriage deal, even though he looked like another Zach at the beginning of the season.

I saw a meme the other day that said something like "who are the funniest people? Introverts, once you get to know them." As an introvert, I can relate to Henry's awkwardness and poor eye contact... in the beginning. But he's committed to this "experiment," so he needs to work a little harder to fake it till he makes it. And all of the hesitancy... worrying about broken bones and needing a hospital, referring to the mud river as "dangerous"... all just make him look like a wimpy pansy which is just not a good look. I know others have criticized Christina's constant mentions of him "never doing anything before," experiencing his first time out of the country, etc... but I can see that she wants to expose him to more experiences. She could be a little more gracious about it. But then again, I think the editing lends itself to that whole narrative.  Everyone struggles getting out of a kayak, but they only show Henry falling out, and he adds some comment about how scared/endangered he is.

I can see Karen's hesitancy with Miles but she can't make the "mommy" jokes and constantly fret about the age difference and then be upset about his "cougar" jokes. Goes both ways.  The preview shows her being rattled that he shared his experiences with depression. Does she really expect someone without struggles, feelings, etc? I wonder about his ten "serious relationships;" as someone pointed out, he must be including middle-school sweethearts and his high school crushes on that list. Her track record isn't much better. Being with someone who is otherwise committed and has a child with another woman shows a big lack of awareness on her part,IMO.

Bennett and Amelia are cute and I think they are delving into their childhoods now because they feel a kinship with one another. Maybe his oddball personality might wear thin after a while, but to his credit he has shown some depth and can be serious.  "Quirky" can turn to "downright annoying" if the person never turns off their quirkiness.  I think he has a good balance; he's shown that he cares deeply for family and has shared some of his life-shaping experiences. He also seems funny.

Not sure yet about Woody and Amani; obviously the physical attraction is there so his comments aren't too far-fetched. And kudos to them for discussing sex openly and realizing they are going to take a little time for it to evolve. I don't see any major red flags with them... yet.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Brett also hit on Henry's friend, invading her personal space in a really douchey way and then asked the waitress to "hit him up" using the oh-so-cute "phone to ear" gesture and a wink and tongue-click.  He certainly is at least trying to get into the marriage deal, even though he looked like another Zach at the beginning of the season.

I saw a meme the other day that said something like "who are the funniest people? Introverts, once you get to know them." As an introvert, I can relate to Henry's awkwardness and poor eye contact... in the beginning. But he's committed to this "experiment," so he needs to work a little harder to fake it till he makes it. And all of the hesitancy... worrying about broken bones and needing a hospital, referring to the mud river as "dangerous"... all just make him look like a wimpy pansy which is just not a good look. I know others have criticized Christina's constant mentions of him "never doing anything before," experiencing his first time out of the country, etc... but I can see that she wants to expose him to more experiences. She could be a little more gracious about it. But then again, I think the editing lends itself to that whole narrative.  Everyone struggles getting out of a kayak, but they only show Henry falling out, and he adds some comment about how scared/endangered he is.

I can see Karen's hesitancy with Miles but she can't make the "mommy" jokes and constantly fret about the age difference and then be upset about his "cougar" jokes. Goes both ways.  The preview shows her being rattled that he shared his experiences with depression. Does she really expect someone without struggles, feelings, etc? I wonder about his ten "serious relationships;" as someone pointed out, he must be including middle-school sweethearts and his high school crushes on that list. Her track record isn't much better. Being with someone who is otherwise committed and has a child with another woman shows a big lack of awareness on her part,IMO.

Bennett and Amelia are cute and I think they are delving into their childhoods now because they feel a kinship with one another. Maybe his oddball personality might wear thin after a while, but to his credit he has shown some depth and can be serious.  "Quirky" can turn to "downright annoying" if the person never turns off their quirkiness.  I think he has a good balance; he's shown that he cares deeply for family and has shared some of his life-shaping experiences. He also seems funny.

Not sure yet about Woody and Amani; obviously the physical attraction is there so his comments aren't too far-fetched. And kudos to them for discussing sex openly and realizing they are going to take a little time for it to evolve. I don't see any major red flags with them... yet.

So right on Brett.  He's not pretending around guys, he was not only dating after going through the MAF interviews, but he was hitting on women DURING THE BACHELOR PARTY.  

On Karen, I thought the same thing -- you wanna focus and comment on his youth, be prepared to get it back to you.  This is another reason why her age perplexes me:  If you are 30, just 4 years shy of your stranger/husband, why is it that upsetting?  She's clearly not a cougar.  Or is she?  Is the "there's deception here" preview really about Christina?  Is that their clever edits and maybe Karen isn't being forthright?  I just have a hard time believing she's only 30.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

Residents get paid, although it's not a huge amount. Certainly enough to live on after being a medical student making zero.  Many residents time having children for the 3rd or 4th year of residency; they are nearing the end and usually can extend their final year by the six weeks or so they take off for maternity leave.

• Love 2