Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: The Honeymoon Begins

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't think she was that upset; hence the permission slip jab back at him.  Just imagine how Dallas Amber would have reacted! I think she recognizes he is a good guy even with his "10 monogamous relationships". If anything, her backstory is more eyebrow raising than his. I would have asked over what time frame did these relationships occur? How many in the last 3 years? Because if he's counting all the way back to high school, who cares???

In any case, she obviously likes him - she climbed into the hammock with him at the end, didn't she? 😜

10 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

I think Miles and Karen were in a joking mood and I don't think anybody's feelings were really hurt about the cougar and the permission slip. I don't believe there was any tone deafness except for us who are not there to know what were the connections before these comments. Editing monkeys need some conflict even if there is none.

I don't think they're on the verge of divorce because of his silly comments. I just felt it was insensitive to keep going on about it.  JMO 🤷‍♀️

Oh, & I totally enjoyed her 'permission slip' comeback 😂.

If editing monkeys are at play there it solidifies my belief they're working overtime on Henry. 😈 🐒

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

If you watched the N.Y. Housewives this week, they were in Cancun and went down to this hole on a rope into this magnificent underground cave with beautiful scenery.  Check it out.  Bat cave and all. 😀

Thanks, Silver Bells!  I taped this week's NY housewives, but haven't watched it yet.  (It take me at least a week to get over the previous episode's caterwauling.)  I will definitely check out their underground cave adventures.  (It'll be nice to see them in a "watering hole" that doesn't serve liquor!  Voracious bats should be a nice diversion.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Miles's ten monogamous relationships are not necessarily all serious relationships.  I think he was making the point that even if that relationship wasn't working out that he did not cheat. He didn't use conflict in the relationship as a reason to cheat. And I think this is the emphasis he is making on "10 monogamous relationships". His point was he had 10 relationships and he never cheated on any of the 10 women. I'm sure some of those relationships were long and some were not that long, he just wanted Karen to feel secure that he's not the cheating type.  I think it's fantastic for anyone to leave when they see the relationship is not going anywhere instead of cheat as a way of getting out of the relationship.  "You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when one to run."  Not just cards, especially relationships.

Miles is distinguishing him himself from Woody's history. Woody is his friend and Miles loves him, but Miles wanted to be clear that he did behave differently in the dating phase of their lives. I hope hope hope hope hope that Woody doesn't cheat on his wife.  

Edited by Kira53
  • Love 8

This season is a breath of fresh air so far. I know a little drama and conflict is necessary (and forthcoming) to keep everyone guessing, but I was worn out from last season which was sooooo painful to watch other than JAustin. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

I don't know what the matter is with me. Apparently brushing my teeth with my spouse is a reason to get married. How has our marriage survived all these years without us ever doing that once? Must make sure to inform my kids that this is something to look for in their potential partner. Likes to brush teeth together - y/n? 

Edited by Silver Bells
Changed my mind.
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Miles is just kidding with the cougar crap but hasn't cared to notice Karen isn't amused. Twenty-six is showing - he needs to grow up & realize a joke is not a joke when it's upsetting his wife.

I'm tired of Amani talking about sex. Enjoy this flirty pre-sex dance & when you're ready just do it & stop constantly analyzing the situation.

Bennett the actor has an ease in front of the camera - JamieO's claws came out for a sec when Bennett said he was "getting the hang of this TV thing" & asked Woody (I think it was) an interviewer like question. Back off her gig, dude, or sleep with one eye open for the rest of your life.

Yes, I caught that too.  It’s been years and she still can’t interview.

I think a few of them had sex already and are not sayin.  

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

Miles's ten monogamous relationships are not necessarily all serious relationships.  I think he was making the point that even if that relationship wasn't working out that he did not cheat. He didn't use conflict in the relationship as a reason to cheat. And I think this is the emphasis he is making on "10 monogamous relationships". His point was he had 10 relationships and he never cheated on any of the 10 women. I'm sure some of those relationships were long and some were not that long, he just wanted Karen to feel secure that he's not the cheating type.  I think it's fantastic for anyone to leave when they see the relationship is not going anywhere instead of cheat as a way of getting out of the relationship.  "You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when one to run."  Not just cards, especially relationships.

Miles is distinguishing him himself from Woody's history. Woody is his friend and Miles loves him, but Miles wanted to be clear that he did behave differently in the dating phase of their lives. I hope hope hope hope hope that Woody doesn't cheat on his wife.  

Exactly.  And Karen just hears that as "relationship hopper."   And that's a bad thing.   Is it any wonder why her previous relationship ended up with him having a child with another woman?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, rebel2u said:

I sure hope Henry is not on the spectrum and that TPTB didn't foist him on Christina knowing that about him.  I thought it wasn't great when Derek learned at the alter that Katie was diabetic, being that diabetes is a chronic illness and he might be responsible for her care sometimes. Not everyone's up for that. (Diabetes runs in my family.) Maybe one of the "audition" questions is, "Would you be adverse to a partner with a chronic but treatable disease/condition?" so it wasn't as big a surprise as it might have been. 

I caught a LOT of flak last season when I mentioned the same thing on another forum. People thought I was horrible for saying such a thing. 

• Love 4

Yeah, not blaming or faulting anyone who has an illness for wanting to be a participant in the show and good on them if they're accepted to be on MAFS.  But it's not like your match is messy, or like being paired with somebody who smokes when you don't like smokers.  A serious illness might affect where you live, what activities you do together, how or when you travel.  I don't know; I was thinking that it might be something a partner needs to know upfront but maybe not.  Maybe that would just be part and parcel of the person you're matched with and it's nothing to be revealed until after the ceremony.  Would discussing a chronic illnes/condition violate the spirit of the ADA?  Yeah, my head hurts now from thinking.  Any thoughts?  Bueller...Bueller...Bueller?

Edited by rebel2u
  • Love 5

Of course Miles was joking. But did Karen roll with it and go "Rowrrr!" or so back at Miles, as a playful , sexy "cougar"? No. She chose the "How do you like it, CHILD?" route. 

Karen was kidding on the square, and her retort was a message that "cougar" was not the way to intimacy.  Big money says we won't hear it from Miles again. 😉

I hope Brett is for real. He talks a good game about Olivia. But the "kids or no kids" might be their lurking relationship iceberg.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:
19 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I am impressed with how much of a good sport prissy Christina is being with Henry, but it’s like watching someone babysit a five-year-old. It’s a very weird dynamic. That patience is going to wear out fast when they have to move in together and she’s no longer dragging him around the resort.  

This. I thought she for sure was going to be the problem here, but no, it's him. I give her credit for trying, but it was really unfair of "the experts" to turn her into a de facto life coach. It's okay to match people who are different but compliment each other (like Ashley & Anthony), but expecting one partner to "help so and so to do blah blah blah", just no. That's just code for "you need to fix this glaring personality flaw in your partner." Not fair at all, especially since this person thought they were getting a partner, not a project. And Henry is definitely a project.

The word "project" is perfect.  Christina was valiantly trying to break through Henry's reserve, get him to loosen up and bring out his personality.  Unfortunately, he's not just shy...he's clinically introverted (I just made that up, LOL).  I really watched him closely, and I saw a man who seems to dread almost all human interaction.  He can't maintain eye contact for any length of time.  He's suffering from crippling shyness, but there's more to it than that...unfortunately I'm not a psychiatrist so I can't diagnose.  I can, however, given an opinion, and I think Christina got screwed by the show.  Henry is not going to all of a sudden develop a sense of humor or become more adventurous .  It would be a miracle if he even got a small degree more comfortable with her.  He won't be coming out of his shell.  This is who he is, and Christina is sadly going to figure it out sooner rather than later.    

Someone talked him into this.  Someone put this idea into his head and it wasn't his brother.  Does anybody see Henry even watching MAFS much less taking the initiative to fill out a questionnaire and subject himself to extensive, very personal interviews?  I'm thinking it was his friend, Kristin.  She thought it would be a good idea....that's why she went with him to the interview and bachelor party.   I do think Kristin cares about Henry and was trying to help him...but did she bother to consider the other person in this equation?  Christina legally entered into marriage with this guy with all the hopes and dreams of any bride.  Someone she could build a life with and have a family and grow old together.   If they stay together that long, can you see these two after a year of marriage?  Christina wouldn't sweetly be prodding him (c'mon honey...pleeaassse) to go with her to a party/movie/barbecue with friends.  She wouldn't be cheering him on every time he even moved an inch out of his comfort zone.  She would either be demanding that he get his ass out to the car ASAP or by that time she'd already start going to events alone.  And that's not funny...it's sad.  Henry had no business trying out for this show, and Christina deserved a better match than Henry.  This is the first time we haven't seen a bad guy in a MAFS coupling.  It's usually one person (usually the man) who is a dick and isn't trying to make the marriage work.  But in this case, these are two good people....there's no villain here.

• Love 7

So I’m wondering what is the job of a medical recruiter? We see Henry as painfully shy, closed in and introverted to the point where it doesn’t seem that he can even function. But does t the job of a recruiter require a decent amount of social skills? I though you had to go to recruiting events, speak to strangers etc. Does anyone know what they do? If he was an IT guy, I’d understand. But recruiter? Really?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, ShowFan said:

So I’m wondering what is the job of a medical recruiter? We see Henry as painfully shy, closed in and introverted to the point where it doesn’t seem that he can even function. But does t the job of a recruiter require a decent amount of social skills? I though you had to go to recruiting events, speak to strangers etc. Does anyone know what they do? If he was an IT guy, I’d understand. But recruiter? Really?

I worked in Human Resources for many years and went with recruiters to colleges and job fairs.  If you are recruiting for a lot of jobs in the company, then you will be speaking to tons of people and would need to interact with a lot of people.  But Henry may specialize in just one thing.  With my company, we were always recruiting for engineers, yet none of us recruiters could speak on the subject for any length of time.  So it got to the point we would ask one of the engineers to come with us and when someone acted interested or had a lot of really hard questions specifically about engineering, then they would take over and "talk shop" with the candidate.  I could see Henry being able to do that.  Leave the small talk to the front line recruiters but when someone wants to have an in-depth technical conversation, he would probably shine in that kind of situation.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, rebel2u said:

Yeah, not blaming or faulting anyone who has an illness for wanting to be a participant in the show and good on them if they're accepted to be on MAFS.  But it's not like your match is messy, or like being paired with somebody who smokes when you don't like smokers.  A serious illness might affect where you live, what activities you do together, how or when you travel.  I don't know; I was thinking that it might be something a partner needs to know upfront but maybe not.  Maybe that would just be part and parcel of the person you're matched with and it's nothing to be revealed until after the ceremony.  Would discussing a chronic illnes/condition violate the spirit of the ADA?  Yeah, my head hurts now from thinking.  Any thoughts?  Bueller...Bueller...Bueller?

3 hours ago, JapMo said:

Unfortunately, he's not just shy...he's clinically introverted (I just made that up, LOL).  I really watched him closely, and I saw a man who seems to dread almost all human interaction.  He can't maintain eye contact for any length of time.  He's suffering from crippling shyness, but there's more to it than that...unfortunately I'm not a psychiatrist so I can't diagnose.  I can, however, given an opinion, and I think Christina got screwed by the show.  Henry is not going to all of a sudden develop a sense of humor or become more adventurous . 

3 hours ago, ShowFan said:

So a couple of thoughts here. 

First, the concept of a "diagnosis" came up here when discussing Henry and the speculation that he might be on the autistic spectrum.  I have an issue with throwing out that label, as there can be a tendency for people to use it when they see someone who acts outside what's the social "norm," and while Henry is decidedly introverted and shy (and he admits it), that doesn't mean he has a "diagnosis" of any sort. Sure, many people on the spectrum have jobs, lives, marriages, families, etc and do just fine- but on the flip side, many people without the diagnosis (so-called "normal" people) have tics, quirky behaviors, difficulty with eye contact, extreme shyness when in groups or at first meetings.  I am like that.  When I am at a cocktail party or starting a new job I am very quiet, struggle with small talk and find such encounters physically exhausting.  But in my circle of friends or family, I am comfortable.

As for considering his situation "diagnosis-worthy," and comparing it to a physical ailment? Should it be discussed with prospective contestants? Perhaps broadly.  I think most agree that in a marriage, you know that illness could come with the package. You don't know what the future might bring. But knowing someone has a chronic illness going in is a little different.  These people are all young and in the prime of their lives- a time when most people are generally healthy. Someone like Katie from last season, with a diabetes diagnosis, has a condition that is part of their lives. The partner will need to be aware of what medicines their spouse takes and under what conditions they may need to administer under stressful conditions; they'll know to look for signs or symptoms of trouble.  Diabetes can be managed, however; people live long and productive lives with it.  Other conditions may be different- like a history of cancer (which could recur) or a progressive illness (I doubt someone with something like MS would aspire to be on this show). So each situation would be different, but I would think some potential spouses would shy away from certain diagnoses.

The assumption that Henry won't change can't be made.  People like that (me) can become very comfortable once they "read the room," and get to know others on a daily basis. He may never feel at ease in front of a camera, or making small talk on first meeting someone, but to think that Henry will never relax and show more of himself is probably unfair.  First impressions count, but I can definitely see that they can be very misleading (consider Brandon from last season, or super-awkward Jephte).

As for his ability to talk to others as a recruiter, I can relate here as well.  Put me in a social situation where the stakes are high (I'm at a cocktail party and have to talk to the boss's wife- aggh!)- I struggle and get more nervous. But at my job (I'm a medical provider)- if I have to meet a patient, educate them on a procedure or get a history, I'm fine.  I am in a position where I can impart knowledge and help them; they may be upset or hurting; and I am good at being a caregiver.  No nerves, no anxiety.

My hope is that Henry relaxes and he and Christina have a good time. I don't really see that she is viewing him as a "project," although she definitely has an attitude of "oh, I am so much more worldly here and let me boast about my travels" (which is kind of funny because, well-she's a flight attendant and that's her JOB...)  I do applaud her trying to get Henry out of his shell and pursuing some more adventurous activities.  It could go either way. He either relaxes and they start having fun or she just decides he's too quiet for her. At least they are polite to one another. I blame the editing for presenting only the awkward silences, the weird comments about getting hurt from Henry, and the goofy music to accentuate the narrative that Henry is a helpless, timid nerd.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I caught a LOT of flak last season when I mentioned the same thing on another forum. People thought I was horrible for saying such a thing. 

I get you .. I’ve been there too.  One has to be soooo careful.

9 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

That's a shame.  Diabetes is a serious disease; my boyfriend in my 20s had Type 1.  He died two weeks ago from a heart condition related to it.  He was only 53.

So yeah, it's one thing to fall in love organically and decide you don't care about someone's health issue. It's another thing to participate on a show and get paired with someone who has a medical condition that can be widow(er)-making.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

hope Brett is for real. He talks a good game about Olivia. But the "kids or no kids" might be their lurking relationship iceberg.

Please, nobody get me wrong, but Olivia seems a little “old ladyish” in her thinking about certain things.  Very regimented.  Brett looks like a live wire waiting to bust out.  He doesn’t seem to be himself.  I may be very wrong, but .... I don’t think they were a good match.  Just MO.

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

So a couple of thoughts here. 

First, the concept of a "diagnosis" came up here when discussing Henry and the speculation that he might be on the autistic spectrum.  I have an issue with throwing out that label, as there can be a tendency for people to use it when they see someone who acts outside what's the social "norm," and while Henry is decidedly introverted and shy (and he admits it), that doesn't mean he has a "diagnosis" of any sort. Sure, many people on the spectrum have jobs, lives, marriages, families, etc and do just fine- but on the flip side, many people without the diagnosis (so-called "normal" people) have tics, quirky behaviors, difficulty with eye contact, extreme shyness when in groups or at first meetings.  I am like that.  When I am at a cocktail party or starting a new job I am very quiet, struggle with small talk and find such encounters physically exhausting.  But in my circle of friends or family, I am comfortable.

As for considering his situation "diagnosis-worthy," and comparing it to a physical ailment? Should it be discussed with prospective contestants? Perhaps broadly.  I think most agree that in a marriage, you know that illness could come with the package. You don't know what the future might bring. But knowing someone has a chronic illness going in is a little different.  These people are all young and in the prime of their lives- a time when most people are generally healthy. Someone like Katie from last season, with a diabetes diagnosis, has a condition that is part of their lives. The partner will need to be aware of what medicines their spouse takes and under what conditions they may need to administer under stressful conditions; they'll know to look for signs or symptoms of trouble.  Diabetes can be managed, however; people live long and productive lives with it.  Other conditions may be different- like a history of cancer (which could recur) or a progressive illness (I doubt someone with something like MS would aspire to be on this show). So each situation would be different, but I would think some potential spouses would shy away from certain diagnoses.

The assumption that Henry won't change can't be made.  People like that (me) can become very comfortable once they "read the room," and get to know others on a daily basis. He may never feel at ease in front of a camera, or making small talk on first meeting someone, but to think that Henry will never relax and show more of himself is probably unfair.  First impressions count, but I can definitely see that they can be very misleading (consider Brandon from last season, or super-awkward Jephte).

As for his ability to talk to others as a recruiter, I can relate here as well.  Put me in a social situation where the stakes are high (I'm at a cocktail party and have to talk to the boss's wife- aggh!)- I struggle and get more nervous. But at my job (I'm a medical provider)- if I have to meet a patient, educate them on a procedure or get a history, I'm fine.  I am in a position where I can impart knowledge and help them; they may be upset or hurting; and I am good at being a caregiver.  No nerves, no anxiety.

My hope is that Henry relaxes and he and Christina have a good time. I don't really see that she is viewing him as a "project," although she definitely has an attitude of "oh, I am so much more worldly here and let me boast about my travels" (which is kind of funny because, well-she's a flight attendant and that's her JOB...)  I do applaud her trying to get Henry out of his shell and pursuing some more adventurous activities.  It could go either way. He either relaxes and they start having fun or she just decides he's too quiet for her. At least they are polite to one another. I blame the editing for presenting only the awkward silences, the weird comments about getting hurt from Henry, and the goofy music to accentuate the narrative that Henry is a helpless, timid nerd.

My only thought is .. I like both of them a lot and hope they both come to terms with whatever and have a fun happy life.  They both look like nice people.  I hated the way the editors made him look stupid getting out of that boat and almost falling.  I can’t even get out of that damn thing.  Someone has to pull me out.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I hope Brett is for real. He talks a good game about Olivia. But the "kids or no kids" might be their lurking relationship iceberg.

Olivia will come to realize that Brett's hyperactivate dating before and through the MAFS auditioning and decision process is a red flag for her.

Brett's honesty is a humble brag, not a virtue.

The cameras love that he is the doting huzzy in Cancun but he is already starting the slow walk backward out the door by letting little comments of his f*ckboi ways slip into their convo.

Wanna bet he drops into to their chats the dozens of dates he has notched on his belt in the last 2 years?

Please do not drop your panties Olivia...the results of his STD testing are not accurate if he was rawdogging after the blood test and before the wedding....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Please, nobody get me wrong, but Olivia seems a little “old ladyish” in her thinking about certain things.  Very regimented.  Brett looks like a live wire waiting to bust out.  He doesn’t seem to be himself.  I may be very wrong, but .... I don’t think they were a good match.  Just MO.

But...they both like cats!

According to the experts...that’s all you need to make a good marriage.

Joking aside, I do get hat you mean. In the real world, people are not compatible and there really is no “villain”.

That being said, Brett hitting on women at the Bachelor party was so ridiculous that I almost believe that he was cast as this season’s villain.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Olivia will come to realize that Brett's hyperactivate dating before and through the MAFS auditioning and decision process is a red flag for her.

The cameras love that he is the doting huzzy in Cancun but he is already starting the slow walk backward out the door by letting little comments of his f*ckboi ways slip into their convo.

Wanna bet he drops into to their chats the dozens of dates he has notched on his belt in the last 2 years?

Please do not drop your panties Olivia...the results of his STD testing are not accurate if he was rawdogging after the blood test and before the wedding....

Very good points.

This is what you do when you want someone NOT to fall for you.  Then you get take the high road by talking about how honest you were. 

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

That's a shame.  Diabetes is a serious disease; my boyfriend in my 20s had Type 1.  He died two weeks ago from a heart condition related to it.  He was only 53.

So yeah, it's one thing to fall in love organically and decide you don't care about someone's health issue. It's another thing to participate on a show and get paired with someone who has a medical condition that can be widow(er)-making.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Boo Boo.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

Very good points.

This is what you do when you want someone NOT to fall for you.  Then you get take the high road by talking about how honest you were. 

Yeah .. he’ll magically tell her he desires ten kids .. one after another.

• LOL 3
17 hours ago, Alexander Pope said:

He and Christina put back a lot of mezcal on their first night in Mexico, and agreed it was fun, but they didn't let us see it.  Which makes me think that he is probably dull when he drinks too.

or they just want us to think he is always dull and don't want to show any of the times he is a bit more animated

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

Unfortunately, he's not just shy...he's clinically introverted (I just made that up, LOL).  I really watched him closely, and I saw a man who seems to dread almost all human interaction.  He can't maintain eye contact for any length of time.  He's suffering from crippling shyness, but there's more to it than that...unfortunately I'm not a psychiatrist so I can't diagnose.  I can, however, given an opinion, and I think Christina got screwed by the show.  Henry is not going to all of a sudden develop a sense of humor or become more adventurous . 

This is a first, so maybe the editors are playing with us viewers and making it a first of this kind of thing?  Maybe Christina is in on it?  My imagination is running wild.  It may be a happy ending story.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

I didn't see that at all.  He was extremely honest with her parents about not being involved in organized religion, and he said that was one of the first things he and Olivia had talked about.  

If he wanted to brag about all the women he conquered, why would he have been the one at the get-together to say he and Olivia had decided to keep their sex life private?  He would have been giving everybody the wink-wink if they had done it, just to make sure everyone knew what a stud he was.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ShowFan said:

I'm still a fan of Henry. He has a friend circle and a nice job.   He got involved with this show.  He passed the screening of three experts and he got the girl. 

Just wait.  Henry is going to outshine all of them.  Everybody's underestimating him!   Fingers crossed.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm still a fan of Henry. He has a friend circle and a nice job.   He got involved with this show.  He passed the screening of three experts and he got the girl. 

Just wait.  Henry is going to outshine all of them.  Everybody's underestimating him!   Fingers crossed.

I really hope so.

I think it was very sweet of him to be concerned for Olivia about Brett.  Often, men tend to look the other way and do the "boys will be boys" thing.  

• Love 10

I'm more annoyed for Henry with this 'match'. It's way more uncomfortable for the shy introvert to be matched with the social extrovert. She can deal with everything going on while he's being stretched out of his comfort zone & getting an insulting edit. I give him a ton of credit given his discomfort level for doing what he's doing right now, but I'd like to see them do something he enjoys too for once. There are options for historical sites there to explore, or just hanging on the beach drinking - but the Show manipulates & uses what makes good edited scenes for teevee.  It doesn't always have to be all about Christina & what's good for her & nothing about what's good for Henry. I dislike the thought she's supposed to draw him out because she's not. He is who he is & since they've been 'matched' (again, the Show's fault here entirely), they'll have to compromise for each to be happy. But in the end I think this kind of life Christina wants will be way too uncomfortable for him to maintain; it's just not going to work & they are a terrible, all for the Show, 'match'.

Reg. the kayak I felt badly for him because he said he stepped on some rocks coming out, & Christina responded in an understanding way because he had hurt his foot. Somehow this morphed into the Show portraying him as bumbling & uncoordinated when in fact that could've happened to anyone.

My new mantra this season is: Poor Henry.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I applaud Henry for joining the cast of this dumpster fire clown car going off a cliff show...

He represents the"shy" friends and family members who we love dearly and rely on but seems to have a hard time connecting with a love match.

Questioning his sexuality is what the older generation does to explain his inability to find a gf.🙄

He is the guy who comes to the bar to hang out with the work group and ends up watching the "Bretts" leaving with the girls who have their beer goggles on.

He's the guy who visits your Dad/Mom when they are in the hospital or send flowers with a card if he's never met them.

Once invited they fit in with your family's or friend's home comfortably because in small settings they charm and enchant with their good manners, courteous demeanor and gentle humor.

We all have Henrys and Henriettas in our lives...

• Love 10

I applaud Henry for joining the cast of this dumpster fire clown car going off a cliff show...

He represents the"shy" friends and family members who we love dearly and rely on but seems to have a hard time connecting with a love match.

Questioning his sexuality is what the older generation does to explain his inability to find a gf.🙄

He is the guy who comes to the bar to hang out with the work group and ends up watching the "Bretts" leaving with the girls who have their beer goggles on.

He's the guy who visits your Dad/Mom when they are in the hospital or send flowers with a card if he's never met them.

Once invited they fit in with your family's or friend's home comfortably because in small settings they charm and enchant with their good manners, courteous demeanor and gentle humor.

Wow.  That was just so beautiful and touching.  👏

• Love 5
On 8/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, DrewPaul2010 said:

I keep hoping we find some hidden talent or unique quality about Henry that would make him a much more interesting person. I just looked up his profession I'll be damned he's an IT expert and so am I. I have met IT guys who were introverts and some lacked social skills because they're job doesn't require it. If he is an expert he probably makes decent money that always helps. Has anyone seen him drink? Maybe he gets a bit sloppy and becomes the life of the party...

He drank at the bachelor party - danced briefly with a stripper and then scuttled out the door behind his girlfriends.

23 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Miles is just kidding with the cougar crap but hasn't cared to notice Karen isn't amused. Twenty-six is showing - he needs to grow up & realize a joke is not a joke when it's upsetting his wife.

Or she may have to live with it 😄  Mr. P, at age 47, is 5 years younger than me and still doesn't get it!  Just 2 days ago I said to him bitchily, "Well it's not funny and I'm tired of hearing it!" 😄 

11 hours ago, JapMo said:

Someone talked him into this.  Someone put this idea into his head and it wasn't his brother.  Does anybody see Henry even watching MAFS much less taking the initiative to fill out a questionnaire and subject himself to extensive, very personal interviews?  I'm thinking it was his friend, Kristin.  She thought it would be a good idea....that's why she went with him to the interview and bachelor party.   I do think Kristin cares about Henry and was trying to help him...but did she bother to consider the other person in this equation? 

At the reception I believe she said she thought the other person would be a loser who couldn't get a  date!

3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

I am a shy person and know a lot of shy people. Some are nice sensitive people and others are jerks...just like everyone else.

Henry was not particularly kind when he was talking about his bride being bad at rowing. He actually seemed a little angry and annoyed.

He definitely might be getting a bad edit but I do not have enough info to whether or not he is a nice person as of yet.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, qtpye said:

He definitely might be getting a bad edit but I do not have enough info to whether or not he is a nice person as of yet.

Kinda hoping  Henry is a pissant turd so we can slice and dice him....

Bashing Brett is not much of a challenge....

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, ShowFan said:

But does t the job of a recruiter require a decent amount of social skills?

I think a person can acquire skills and techniques for handling a job that differs from feeling comfortable with social skills in a dating/marriage situation.  Who knows how successful Henry is in his career?  Who knows if he has developed "pat" questions/answers to various "technical" questions/answers particular to that profession.  

I completely agree that Henry is not marriage material for Christina as when one party "over functions" and the other "under functions" a lack of respect builds up in the "over function-er" that eventually erodes the emotional closeness necessary for a marriage to succeed.

As I learned myself, you cannot change another person.  All you can change is your RESPONSE to that other person.  Eventually (can only speak for myself) the "mother/son" dynamic kicks in and is exhausting.  

However, I think the experience of being on the show is beneficial for both Henry and Christina as both seem like decent people and I believe both will learn a lot about themselves from going through this experience.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Bashing Brett is not much of a challenge....

Maybe, but my issue is with Little Miss Perfect Olivia.  Did anyone else think she wasn't telling her true feelings about having children?  I don't think she EVER wants to have kids.  She brought the subject up to Brett and had the same sick look on her face that you had when you were in grade school and thought the test was going to be the next day and you hadn't studied.  To me it was the look of pure dread...she was afraid to hear his response.  Yet everything she said about having kids was negative.  Brett's face lit up when he talked about being a dad.  So she backed down and wouldn't come out and say it.  Instead she kept leaving little openings like 'if you really want them then maybe we could...but not for a loooonnngggg time'. 

I'd love to know what she told the experts about the subject of children.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

However, I think the experience of being on the show is beneficial for both Henry and Christina as both seem like decent people and I believe both will learn a lot about themselves from going through this experience.

Oh gosh...I can't disagree more.  Getting all pumped up to get married and then realizing pretty quickly it isn't going to work and you're going to have to get a divorce...I don't see that as either beneficial or a good learning experience.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, JapMo said:

The word "project" is perfect.  Christina was valiantly trying to break through Henry's reserve, get him to loosen up and bring out his personality.  Unfortunately, he's not just shy...he's clinically introverted (I just made that up, LOL).  I really watched him closely, and I saw a man who seems to dread almost all human interaction.  He can't maintain eye contact for any length of time.  He's suffering from crippling shyness, but there's more to it than that...unfortunately I'm not a psychiatrist so I can't diagnose.  I can, however, given an opinion, and I think Christina got screwed by the show.  Henry is not going to all of a sudden develop a sense of humor or become more adventurous .  It would be a miracle if he even got a small degree more comfortable with her.  He won't be coming out of his shell.  This is who he is, and Christina is sadly going to figure it out sooner rather than later.    

Someone talked him into this.  Someone put this idea into his head and it wasn't his brother.  Does anybody see Henry even watching MAFS much less taking the initiative to fill out a questionnaire and subject himself to extensive, very personal interviews?  I'm thinking it was his friend, Kristin.  She thought it would be a good idea....that's why she went with him to the interview and bachelor party.   I do think Kristin cares about Henry and was trying to help him...but did she bother to consider the other person in this equation?  Christina legally entered into marriage with this guy with all the hopes and dreams of any bride.  Someone she could build a life with and have a family and grow old together.   If they stay together that long, can you see these two after a year of marriage?  Christina wouldn't sweetly be prodding him (c'mon honey...pleeaassse) to go with her to a party/movie/barbecue with friends.  She wouldn't be cheering him on every time he even moved an inch out of his comfort zone.  She would either be demanding that he get his ass out to the car ASAP or by that time she'd already start going to events alone.  And that's not funny...it's sad.  Henry had no business trying out for this show, and Christina deserved a better match than Henry.  This is the first time we haven't seen a bad guy in a MAFS coupling.  It's usually one person (usually the man) who is a dick and isn't trying to make the marriage work.  But in this case, these are two good people....there's no villain here.

I agree with so much of what you said. I do disagree that it’s the first time there is no villain. Trey and Vanessa, Dave and Amber (although some disagree re:Dave, but I liked him), Will and Jasmine, and Iris and Keith. I don’t think these are horrible people, just horribly mismatched.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I'm more annoyed for Henry with this 'match'. It's way more uncomfortable for the shy introvert to be matched with the social extrovert. She can deal with everything going on while he's being stretched out of his comfort zone & getting an insulting edit. I give him a ton of credit given his discomfort level for doing what he's doing right now, but I'd like to see them do something he enjoys too for once. There are options for historical sites there to explore, or just hanging on the beach drinking - but the Show manipulates & uses what makes good edited scenes for teevee.  It doesn't always have to be all about Christina & what's good for her & nothing about what's good for Henry. I dislike the thought she's supposed to draw him out because she's not. He is who he is & since they've been 'matched' (again, the Show's fault here entirely), they'll have to compromise for each to be happy. But in the end I think this kind of life Christina wants will be way too uncomfortable for him to maintain; it's just not going to work & they are a terrible, all for the Show, 'match'.

Reg. the kayak I felt badly for him because he said he stepped on some rocks coming out, & Christina responded in an understanding way because he had hurt his foot. Somehow this morphed into the Show portraying him as bumbling & uncoordinated when in fact that could've happened to anyone.

My new mantra this season is: Poor Henry.

I agree that it’s not her job to “get him out of his comfort zone, but my God, he is one boring person. They are completely mismatched. I do think they edit for maximum effect of whatever storyline they are pushing, but the facts are that this is a guy who has reached the age of 35 and has not traveled, nor learned how to swim, has trouble maintaining eye contact when speaking and thinks jumping on a trampoline smaller than what can be found at the local Chuck E Cheese is “the craziest thing (I’ve) done in my life!” I feel sorry for both of them because both will end up miserable. The problem for me is that with someone else, she could have been successful here. I cannot fathom who they could have paired Henry with successfully. He is too introverted for this show.

Cristina wondered correctly why they were matched. I do too - I mean, there isn’t even a love of mutual cats to fall back on. Only reason had to be the drama....

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JapMo said:

Instead she kept leaving little openings like 'if you really want them then maybe we could...but not for a loooonnngggg time'. 

I'd love to know what she told the experts about the subject of children.

Olivia is a student of the show.

She knows to be cast in MAFS,  to get past the swimsuit competition and into the finalist round she has to say yes to children.

Jamie/Big Red and probably AJ/SexyAF said a yes to children to get on the show but they were matched with partners who have agreed to wait or never spawn.

Olivia showed her poker hand too early in the 8 weeks..

She realized her answer was too definitive a nuh uh as it floated out of her mouth.

Brett went back to the honeymoon suite and reactivated all his dating apps and posted out of town until mid April....

Brett wants to have 4 ugly boys like him and his gross 3 brothers....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 1
59 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I agree that it’s not her job to “get him out of his comfort zone, but my God, he is one boring person. They are completely mismatched. I do think they edit for maximum effect of whatever storyline they are pushing, but the facts are that this is a guy who has reached the age of 35 and has not traveled, nor learned how to swim, has trouble maintaining eye contact when speaking and thinks jumping on a trampoline smaller than what can be found at the local Chuck E Cheese is “the craziest thing (I’ve) done in my life!” I feel sorry for both of them because both will end up miserable. The problem for me is that with someone else, she could have been successful here. I cannot fathom who they could have paired Henry with successfully. He is too introverted for this show.

There are plenty of quiet, introverted, homebody types who could care less about travel & adventures & somehow manage to live full lives. This may be tougher to find because most of that sort are probably not lining up to be MAFS, & also aren't going to make for interesting TV. 

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I could have sworn Olivia said early on she for sure didn’t want to have kids. I think it was in a TH, but I’m not 100% sure. 

Olivia said that she loves her sister's kids but she didn't see herself as a parent...in the TH you saw.

When Brett answered that he wants kids, she changed her response about kids to..."but not for a looonngg time...."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

There are plenty of quiet, introverted, homebody types who could care less about travel & adventures & somehow manage to live full lives. This may be tougher to find because most of that sort are probably not lining up to be MAFS, & also aren't going to make for interesting TV. 

I completely agree, but I still find him odd and unfortunately for both, incompatible with his wife. The producers and/or the experts are assholes for putting them together.

• Love 3