Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E22: Lawrence Wilkerson, Chris Evans, Paul Begala, Meghan Daum

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

S18.E22: Retired U.S. Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson; actor Chris Evans; author Paul Begala; author Meghan Daum

DAMMIT! I stopped watching this show MONTHS ago, but Chris and Paul? I’mmagonnawatchforthem.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Uh Paul, I don't think they are peaceful protestors after they try to set fire to the federal courthouse for sixty straight days.  Or how about last night when they set fire to the police station and blocked the exit so that the people inside the building could not get out.  If that is what peaceful protestor means now, I would hate to see what someone would have to do to be considered a rioter.

• Love 2

Chris Evans was a delight. I like how he said he has no issue staying home alone. I'm not alone so that probably makes it easier, but staying home (other than work) has been absolutely not a problem for me.

I'm glad Bill avoided the fat-shaming this week, but he still got his regular digs in about cannabis and cancel culture.

His final New Rule with the Trump "eulogy"? Not funny, just tired. Makes me wish Bill had taken a longer break. 

• Love 2

I notice Bill is having a lot of the same guests who frequent "The Fifth Column" Podcast (with Matt Welch, etc.) Meghan Dahm this week. last week it was Thomas Chatterton Williams and Bari Weiss - and that was one of the best, and thankfully very long, discussion Bill has had on his show.  He's had that sort of guest a lot in the past (Matt Welch, Bari Weiss - are frequent guets), but moreso lately, it seems. I listen to Fifth Column all the time to get away from the group-think the media engages in. I hope Bill continues in this direction.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 1

He's had that sort of guest a lot in the past (Matt Welch, Bari Weiss - are frequent guets), but moreso lately, it seems. I listen to Fifth Column all the time to get away from the group-think the media engages in. I hope Bill continues in this direction.

I feel the exact opposite.  Bill keeps having these guests with exactly the same positions on this and almost never has guests who can smartly or actively challenge his pre-ordained assumptions. 

Bari Weiss and Thomas Chatterton Williams last week and then Meghan Daum this week?  I mean sure, if the goal is a completely one-sided presentation then those are the guests to have.  But Bill studiously avoids having guests who might pointedly challenge his sweeping generalizations about so-called “cancel culture” or take on his loose and sloppy “facts.” (There was a really smart challenge and response to Daum, for instance, by Emily Witt in the New Yorker.  You think Bill will ever have somebody like Emily Witt on the show?  Dream on.)

Bill’s engaged for years in a cancel culture on his show  of  virtually never having certain types of guests— younger activists, trans activists, people with other perspectives on body shaming, certain types of feminism, etc, etc, etc— these only exist as strawmen on Bill’s show.  We hear about them from Bill, but we almost never actually hear from them, because Bill doesn’t want these perspectives to actually be heard, just his generalizations and stereotypes. The rare times Bill has had, say, younger activists— like the Parkland kids— on his show, he’s noticeably uncomfortable and has this weird anger.  

Mr. “Cancel Culture Is Bad” does not like to be seriously challenged and if you might then he’ll cancel you.  He’s one of the world’s biggest hypocrites.

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Dammit. I fell asleep! 

Now I have to see if I can watch it based on what I’ve read here. Because I love Paul Begala, and he has pushed back against Bill before when Bill needed to be shut down.

I didn’t like how Paul dismissed the possibility that Bill Clinton was seen on pedophile island.  He smirked or rolled his eyes.. well the woman who saw him there has been through enough and I hope people take her accusations seriously.  

• Love 6

Bill wanted to know what the Democrats would do about the Clintons.

Well you don't figure they would do a lot of retail campaigning, especially with the pandemic but Bill is looking frail and his reputation is in the shitter.  So is Hilary's rep.

But I saw a headline that Hilary would address the convention the same night Warren would.  Well they're not having a convention or at least Biden isn't going to Milwaukee.  So some kind of speech on Zoom or put up on Youtube?

In any event, only Bill seems preoccupied with the Clintons.  Didn't Hilary appear on his show?  Pretty ungrateful of him.

42 minutes ago, scrb said:

Bill wanted to know what the Democrats would do about the Clintons.

Well you don't figure they would do a lot of retail campaigning, especially with the pandemic but Bill is looking frail and his reputation is in the shitter.  So is Hilary's rep.

But I saw a headline that Hilary would address the convention the same night Warren would.  Well they're not having a convention or at least Biden isn't going to Milwaukee.  So some kind of speech on Zoom or put up on Youtube?

In any event, only Bill seems preoccupied with the Clintons.  Didn't Hilary appear on his show?  Pretty ungrateful of him.

Hillary never appeared on his show...Bill was pissed. Interestingly enough Elizabeth Warren was on his show a number of times but not during the primaries. Her last visit to his show he mockingly called her Pocohantas and her disdain for that comment was quite palapable. She never came back after that. Obama guested Bill for an interview at the White House during his second term.

2 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

I feel the exact opposite.  Bill keeps having these guests with exactly the same positions on this and almost never has guests who can smartly or actively challenge his pre-ordained assumptions. 

Bari Weiss and Thomas Chatterton Williams last week and then Meghan Daum this week?  I mean sure, if the goal is a completely one-sided presentation then those are the guests to have.  But Bill studiously avoids having guests who might pointedly challenge his sweeping generalizations about so-called “cancel culture” or take on his loose and sloppy “facts.” (There was a really smart challenge and response to Daum, for instance, by Emily Witt in the New Yorker.  You think Bill will ever have somebody like Emily Witt on the show?  Dream on.)

Bill’s engaged for years in a cancel culture on his show  of  virtually never having certain types of guests— younger activists, trans activists, people with other perspectives on body shaming, certain types of feminism, etc, etc, etc— these only exist as strawmen on Bill’s show.  We hear about them from Bill, but we almost never actually hear from them, because Bill doesn’t want these perspectives to actually be heard, just his generalizations and stereotypes. The rare times Bill has had, say, younger activists— like the Parkland kids— on his show, he’s noticeably uncomfortable and has this weird anger.  

Mr. “Cancel Culture Is Bad” does not like to be seriously challenged and if you might then he’ll cancel you.  He’s one of the world’s biggest hypocrites.

I don't watch anymore but when I read the weeekly reviews here ther does seem to be more of a turn to the right from Bill. He does seem to be parrroting a lot of Libertarian infused talking points and having guests on that swing that way. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Uh Paul, I don't think they are peaceful protestors after they try to set fire to the federal courthouse for sixty straight days.  Or how about last night when they set fire to the police station and blocked the exit so that the people inside the building could not get out.  If that is what peaceful protestor means now, I would hate to see what someone would have to do to be considered a rioter.

Firecrackers aren't exactly known to start fires.

2 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

Correct! Bill will gladly have on a medical quack who's views on the coronavirus matches his, but God forbid he brings on someone like Dr. Anthony Fauci who would easily smack down his ignorant opinions about the virus.

I've said this many times before about Bill. Instead of him trying to impose his will on others, perhaps he should get off his lazy ass and do it himself, like run for office. It's really annoying for him to give "marching orders" to others when he can't be bothered to do it himself.

• Love 12

I didn’t like how Paul dismissed the possibility that Bill Clinton was seen on pedophile island. 

That was really disappointing, and somewhat troubling. He basically dismissed it as 'sex island', but that's not what it was. If Clinton had been going to an island of adult hookers and having lots of sex, that could be dismissed as a marriage issue between him and his wife, and no big deal. But 'pedophile island' is TOTALLY different. That would make him not just a horndog, but a seriously immoral person and a felon. Really disappointing that Begala apparently doesn't see the difference in the two situations.

• Love 4

I find the show much more enjoyable if I fast forward through Bill's solo routines. I enjoyed the guests, although Colonel Wilkerson really alarmed me. Bill seemed tired and listless, and for such a rich guy, his indoor home scenes are dark and depressing. Bill Maher really needs a studio audience who likes him for his schtick to work. I like Paul Begala and love(!) Chris Evans, but Meghan Daum was not impressive until she told Bill that we really don't need to bring up the Clintons right now as an issue when so much else is going on. I agree.  

• Love 1
21 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I didn’t like how Paul dismissed the possibility that Bill Clinton was seen on pedophile island.  He smirked or rolled his eyes.. well the woman who saw him there has been through enough and I hope people take her accusations seriously.  

Exactly. Paul's rolling of the eyes and dismissal was disappointing.  Perhaps someone should remind Paul that Bill Clinton has a history a sexual improprieties including abusing his position of power with the much younger Monica Lewinsky back in the 90s.  So I can certainly entertain the idea that Bill Clinton could be involved in the Jeffrey Epstein scandal.  Heck Ghislaine Maxwell was a guest at his daughter's wedding. And someone should also tell Paul Begala that there are now multiple witnesses that have seen Bill Clinton on Jeffrey Epstein's private Island. 

I was actually pleasantly surprised that Bill Maher brought up the topic of Bill Clinton/Jeffrey Epstein even for a brief moment on Friday's show.  The national media should be all over Epstein story given the sheer number of victims involved and all the high profile men that have been linked to the accusations by those women.  You have high ranking members from both parties linked to the scandal, a prince as well as other foreign leaders.  It's astonishing that there isn't any type of ongoing serious investigation or even discussion of this scandal by the news media.  You can't tell me that a 24 hour news cable show can't find the time to cover this scandal.  It goes to show that money and those in positions of power still have way too much dangerous influence over the supposedly independent media. We now know that ABC was threatened by the Royal Palace a few years ago for a potential news story that they planned on running about Prince Andrew being linked to Epstein. Of course ABC caved in and killed the story citing that it did not meet their journalistic standards.  A lot of the names of the men involved have been leaked already and I wonder how many media outlets these days have been threatened to not discuss it.  

I hope Bill Maher continues to cover the scandal because those women deserve justice. 

Edited by Thomas Crown
  • Love 7