Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Jenna Von Oy / Jill Zarin

Jenna von Oy leaves her modest home and quiet life in Nashville and swaps places with Jill Zarin, who has a lavish summer home—complete with a staff—in the Hamptons, where she frequently hosts big parties.

It's five minutes in, and somewhere out there where old internet sites languish, the long comatose Ihatejillzarin.com has just coughed and fluttered its eyelids.

Yes, yes, I understand that the whole "dog before daughter, then Bobby" schtick is part of her outrageous television personality.  But I can't even imagine having the sheer arrogance necessary to utter the sentiment that I was born to make a mess and other people were born to clean up my mess.  Blessed/lucky/privileged?  Absolutely.  Preordained?  Mmmm, no.

[sidenote:  I went to a music festival once, with thousands of women, and one of the opening remarks was "Remember that if you drop a piece of trash on the ground, it means another woman will have to pick that trash up."  That one sentence was a life-changer for me.]

Oh well, back to the show.  My favorite moment was Jill picking up the photo of the von Oy family and recognizing Six from Blossom.

"I'd like to thank The Academy. . ."

• Love 8

Somebody get Jenna Von Oy a commercial now!  She has personality to spare and it would only take a few days away from her kid(s).  Her house could use a little sprucing up.  What a sweetheart she is. Their baby's verbal skills were impressive. 

But I can't even imagine having the sheer arrogance necessary to utter the sentiment that I was born to make a mess and other people were born to clean up my mess.  Blessed/lucky/privileged?  Absolutely.  Preordained?  Mmmm, no.

That was disgusting.  Still, I think Jill tried.  She ran around with the dogs, but maybe just because she likes dogs. She tried with the fish.  But she insulted their house right in front of their faces.  Last year I lived on what she spent on that one shopping trip. Jill, you don't know they HAVE the money for help to come to them.

I always find it hilarious that the house rules book looks like a 200 page book but is only a 2-3 page essay written by a producer's assistant to set up the parameters of where the stress will be. 

Still no recap from last week?

• Love 1

Back in the day, I was a charter member of the IHJZ blog.  Jill really hasn't changed but I do have to admit that I like her new do and hair color. I grew up about 10 miles from her and I do not have that accent that Jill seems so proud about.

Both husbands were great and Bobby is such a sweet man that it makes me wonder what he is doing with Jill.

• Love 1

Somebody get Jenna Von Oy a commercial now!  She has personality to spare...

Agree!  She was lovely.  When she got worn out at the cocktail party and had to flop on the bed for a breather, I could relate.  There might have been a little producer manipulation later--pool noodles?--but anyone who can keep a purple velvet couch in a house with four dogs is okay by me.

• Love 1

There might have been a little producer manipulation later--pool noodles?--but anyone who can keep a purple velvet couch in a house with four dogs is okay by me.

5 dogs, wasn't it?

This was a pretty drama-free episode. The table meeting seemed more glances than words.

I don't watch any of the Real Housewives series, but know of Jill's name just because. Because of what, I don't know actually.

Knew of Jenna from Blossom. I wonder if she and Mayim are friends?  Jenna's husband reminds me of Tracey Golds. Bigger, not typically "hot", but very nice. Who says if you're a cute girl, you have to have a model-like husband?

I'm sure it was producer manipulation, but the baby proofing was overkill.  Pool noodles and bubble wrap?  Besides the infant, most of the grandkids looked school age. Past the point of bumping their head on a table. 

Next week I have no idea who either participant is. 

As much as I hate Jill Zarin, she did have a point about allowing time for a couple to be adults together. It really does help. I'm not sure what Jenna's situation is financially, but my guess is that nannies and housekeepers and shopping trips are not something that they can afford, so why tell her that's what they need? The party in the driveway was ridiculous. Some of the guests looked like they were rented.The baby proofing was just stupid, but I did lie the kids bedroom with toys they play with only when they are there. My grandparents did that and we loved go over there to play. My parents also did it with my kids. It makes going to grandma's even more special. 

I thought the whole episode was a bit off because Jill is the parent to grown children (if you count her steps) and grandkids, while Jenna is a young mother. Not exactly at the same point in their lives. I could understand where each was coming from and not surprised they couldn't see each other's POV. Love Bobby, that man is a saint. Jill is such a brat with her fabulous lifestyle

Jenna was my favorite on Blossom.  She is still adorable.  I am not a mom but found it kind of funny that she was so wanting to baby proof everything but she holds her child on her hip when she cooks.  Know lots of mom's who do that but if your mom senses are so over protecting that one just seems like a no no.

Jill and new husband:   Their meal at the 5 star restaurant looked delicious.   I would absolutely let her come her & spoil me LOL.  Could care less what the neighbors thought of the big bus in our yard.

Bobby seemed to really enjoy the time with his grandkids.  Glad that they ended up spending more time with the family. 

At the end the update did say Jenna did hire a housekeeper and they have once a week date night.  So they must have some money.

Jill's hair looks great! But that's about all that's great about her. Her snobbery has reached levels of insanity and I was over her within the first ten minutes. "Some people were meant to make messes, and some people were meant to clean them up". Um, so the two are mutually exclusive? Because I was raised to believe that you clean up your own shit! Also "the people who work for us live somewhere". Wow, you elitist bitch. 

And how must poor Ally feel when Ginger the dog comes first all the time? I don't think that's even playful. I think Jill truly loves that dog more than her "overrated" child. 

Jenna, on the other, hand seemed like a fairly normal wife and mother. She seemed kind and involved and like she picked a good mate. I was glad to see they realized that they need to make some times for themselves sans Grey. It's so easy to let your kids take over your marriage when you first start having them. While they don't need to relegated to a full-time nanny, making time for the relationship that IS the foundation of the family is important. It's nice to see that Jenna and her husband could learn from the other couple. I doubt the Zarins did the same. The grandkid room was a great idea, but I have no doubt they'll still be showering the kids with presents instead of attention. 

• Love 4

I don't watch Housewives of NY, but why is Ally still living there? Not that there's anything wrong with living with parents, I'm with my dad right now since he's sick, but has she always been living there? I noticed some form of the Jenna's new rules was to spend more time with Ally, or something close to that. They pointed out a lot that the dog comes before her. But she's 22. She should have her own life and was surprised she was around as much as she was. Again, nothing wrong with hanging out at home (stating my disclaimers!), but if my mom treated me like Jill treats her, with the dog coming first, parties all the time, no time to spend together, I'd probably want to start forming my own life and not be around all that day after day. I don't know, maybe she doesn't live there, was just there for the show?

• Love 1
(edited)

You never know on this show.  If you read the comments on the previous show there are 2 or 3 minor kids that we know of, who were never mentioned.  And Jill's house is just their fucking summer house.  So who knows what her real situation is, but she does seem a little unprepared for life.  These days though, I know lots of people who have 20 somethings still with them, usually because of the economy, and mine left and came back to finish college. I don't get how Bobby is such a sweet man.  On the other hand, Jenna's was sweet but she could do so much better. It looks like he wouldn't even agree to a haircut. I would also care about the stupid bus outside my house.

Edited by QuelleC

I doubt that Ally lives there. I had the feeling that she appeared on the show just to be a part of Jill's "family".

I posted about this show in RHNY forum. I can't believe Jill would agree to show herself in such a negative light. I guess she just can't help herself.

I don't watch this show often, but of the episodes I've seen this had to be one of the most drama free.  Both husbands were pretty on board and awesome.  I also have to echo that Jenna seems like a sweetheart.

• Love 1

This time I didn't think it was odd that  Jill knew who Jenna was. When they showed the previews for this episode, I said to my dh 'That's Jenna, she played "Six" on "Blossom"

It still comes on the 'TV land channel

This time I didn't think it was odd that  Jill knew who Jenna was. When they showed the previews for this episode, I said to my dh 'That's Jenna, she played "Six" on "Blossom"

It still comes on the 'TV land channel

For some reason, it tickles me to picture JZ snuggled up on the couch with the dog and a bowl of popcorn, watching Blossom.

But okay, it could happen!

• Love 1

Jill certainly elevates herself above others.  Just how is she so deserving of this lifestyle?  Was she born rich or did she marry rich?

She was raised on Long Island - her parents weren't "super-rich" but they were comfortably upper-middle-class. She was to Allie's father (I don't know what happened with that husband) before she met and married Bobby. He owns a fabric store in Manhattan but I think he made his serious money in real estate. He treats Jill like a queen so she's used to spending money anywhere and any way she wants.

I wish they'd filmed inside Jill's home in NY instead of the rented Hamptons house.  In my opinion, that would show how she really lives day to day.  I saw the Housewives of New York episode where Aly goes off to college, so I think they had her there as someone for Jenna to play off of.  I don't think she lives out at the Hamptons, but I may be wrong :)

Jill seriously thought, after she heard she was going to Nashville, that she was going to swap with Faith Hill?

First, I can't imagine Faith Hill ever being on this show and second, does Jill really think she's on the same level as FH? Jill is ridiculous.

She was so insulting at the meeting at the end saying that Jenna's house was a "cute starter home".

I would rather live Jenna's life than Jill's fake, superficial pathetic life.

• Love 6

She was raised on Long Island - her parents weren't "super-rich" but they were comfortably upper-middle-class. She was to Allie's father (I don't know what happened with that husband) before she met and married Bobby. He owns a fabric store in Manhattan but I think he made his serious money in real estate. He treats Jill like a queen so she's used to spending money anywhere and any way she wants.

OK Thanks.  She acts so entitled I thought she was born a princess.

• Love 3
(edited)

Jill met Bobby when she was selling men's suits in a big department store. It was weird to see them on CWS after having seen all of her Real Housewives episodes. (I don't watch any more...really!) There, she seemed wealthy from Bobby's (inherited) fabric business, and they had a nice house in the Hamptons, and Jill was an interesting mix of "down home Jewish yenta" and "snobby nouveau riche NY matron".  I couldn't get over that house they have now--then read above that i's a rental, which makes sense. But she exploited the CWS moment as if all that wealth was really her own. I guess that's smart, under the circumstances.

I was also surprised how dismissive she was of Alli and of Bobby's family. (Yes, then as now, she doted on Ginger. But a cooked-to-order lamb chop, chopped and hand fed to her every morning? Yikes. At least we didn't get to see how Jill likes the dog licking the inside of Jill's nose. So gross.)  I was glad that the swap seemed to benefit both, although I cringed when Jill told the other couple, "I thought I was going to be swapped with a big star--Faith Hill!! Then I went to your little, dumpy fixer-upper and I thought 'this must be a starter home for a young couple."  I knew she was a pretentious biatch, but that was more than I'd even expect.

And what was with the glass stairs? If you wear a dress, doesn't everyone in the room down below look up your dress, just like you were back on the tackiest boardwalk? Why would someone want that? (And I agree with Jenna that glass stairs are an accident waiting to happen.)

At the risk of sounding like Jill, one thing that keeps surprising me about these CWS is how badly decorated so many homes are. They're neat and functional, but just not attractive. Even Jill's rental was completely sterile and forgettable to me (her real Hampton's house--not on the water--was two story and country-charming). And Jenna's looked like she got their stuff from Goodwill circa 1970--and not in a good way. Really surprised how few homes I really covet (although vacationing for a week in Jill's rented "home-like-a-luxury-hotel" would, I admit, be fun.  And...bringing in David Berke? I'm sure she told all the guests they were going to meet Faith Hill, instead of "whatshername" from ...whatever. Luckily, I don't think Jenna figured it out. Plus, she was much too nice for that group--I liked her family party on the beach so much better. It really made Jill and Bobby and all their "let's throw money around" pretenses seem so incredibly forced, joyless and shallow.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2