Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, SiobhanJW said:

Lana just posted a photo of herself dressed as the Evil Queen with Kerry Washington who I'm assuming was dressed as Olivia Pope. Doesn't ABC usually do a video for the upfronts? Could this be a sign it's renewed? That is unless it's for something else, but she did tag ABC Network & Onces Instagram. 

Interesting. Yeah, if the Evil Queen and Olivia Pope are posing together, it's probably for the ABC upfront video. Well I guess we know which character A&E want to keep focusing on in the reboot...

• Love 2

I think it also just has to do with actor availability. Colin and Lana were both in an upfront video a few years ago that featured random talent from different ABC shows. But it does indicate that they're using Once in promotional material. Whether Lana gets cut is another story, but they will have it as option. 

On 4/11/2017 at 3:36 PM, KingOfHearts said:

The writers tend to forget they're writing a show about Disney princesses. They didn't even need to sell the authenticity of Snowing in S1, because they were freaking Snow White and Prince Charming. That's what viewers wanted to see. Trying to be "dark" and "nuanced" alienates the show's core demographic.

Yea, I tend to disagree here. S1 was not in the least about "romance," It had Snow and Charming in flashback and as ill fated lovers in present time, but they have always been supporting characters...(and unless the writers want to really explore what it would be like to be Snow and Charming in a world where there is not black and white..they are really too..."ooey-gooey" to take for long periods of time.) S1 was dark and the thing was, the darkness was that Storybrooke in our world was more morally ambivalent as there were no "heroes" or outright "villains" (yes Regina and Gold were the bad guys and Emma was the heroine but all of them had their good points and faults, even Emma) and was very different then their cartoony CGI world were people were outright good or bad. The mistake they made was as soon as the Curse broke, SB and the EF were essentially the same...bad CGI, magic and a dull scale of heroes and villains. I thought the show was best when it was more darker and a little more nuanced then it has been since S1.

And we can debate the reasons all we want but the show just plain kinda sucks right now for ALL demos.  People who want nuanced don't get it, people who want romance and goofy princesses who are all good don't get it, people who want camp don't get it, people who want adventure don't get it, people who want to tune into this odd show about eccentric bigger then life people living in a small town dont get it..the show is missing ALL those marks while it tries to desperatly to be all those things. Pick something and stick with it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Yea, I tend to disagree here. S1 was not in the least about "romance," It had Snow and Charming in flashback and as ill fated lovers in present time, but they have always been supporting characters...(and unless the writers want to really explore what it would be like to be Snow and Charming in a world where there is not black and white..they are really too..."ooey-gooey" to take for long periods of time.) S1 was dark and the thing was, the darkness was that Storybrooke in our world was more morally ambivalent as there were no "heroes" or outright "villains" (yes Regina and Gold were the bad guys and Emma was the heroine but all of them had their good points and faults, even Emma) and was very different then their cartoony CGI world were people were outright good or bad. The mistake they made was as soon as the Curse broke, SB and the EF were essentially the same...bad CGI, magic and a dull scale of heroes and villains. I thought the show was best when it was more darker and a little more nuanced then it has been since S1.

And we can debate the reasons all we want but the show just plain kinda sucks right now for ALL demos.  People who want nuanced don't get it, people who want romance and goofy princesses who are all good don't get it, people who want camp don't get it, people who want adventure don't get it, people who want to tune into this odd show about eccentric bigger then life people living in a small town dont get it..the show is missing ALL those marks while it tries to desperatly to be all those things. Pick something and stick with it.

S1 was first and foremost a character drama, S2 onwards became more plot oriented (a variation of a story arc involving certain characters and locations, finding certain plot points, flashbacks, etc.).

1 hour ago, Free said:

S1 was first and foremost a character drama, S2 onwards became more plot oriented (a variation of a story arc involving certain characters and locations, finding certain plot points, flashbacks, etc.).

Replying in Writing thread.

• Love 1

Well Designated Survivor went below a 1 the way people expected it to in the fall, before it showed more resiliency than predicted this spring. TGIT the only ABC dramas that haven't.

Although DS won its time slot with a 0.9 so what do you do? I mean, it's a 0.9, but that still beat out a new episode of a Criminal Minds spin off. Wow. Network TV has become a mess. Every time I see these numbers, I go back to a podcast I listened to with Lea Thompson. She talked about Caroline in the City and the show getting cancelled because of bad ratings. It was pulling a 14.0 rating. Now DS is considered a sure bet for renewal with a 0.9.

1 hour ago, sharky said:

Although DS won its time slot with a 0.9 so what do you do? I mean, it's a 0.9, but that still beat out a new episode of a Criminal Minds spin off. Wow. Network TV has become a mess. Every time I see these numbers, I go back to a podcast I listened to with Lea Thompson. She talked about Caroline in the City and the show getting cancelled because of bad ratings. It was pulling a 14.0 rating. Now DS is considered a sure bet for renewal with a 0.9.

It's dvr numbers are excellent.  People just dont watch tv live anymore.  I think it's because people just dont have time to sit down on Thursdays at 8:00 for 30 minutes.  They still watch the show that airs Thurs at 8:00, but they're watching it Sun morning in 22ish minutes.  

Which is why dvr numbers, off-network and international sales, syndication, in-show advertising deals, and other revenue streams matter most.   None of those fall in Once's favor.  To contrast, they all fall in Agents of Shield's favor.

• Love 1

MSN is the default home page for Internet Explorer so they've got a big audience. And the story itself comes from Entertainment Weekly -- they likely have a cooperation agreement with them to provide content. Plus, the writer is a TV veteran over there. So I would put alot of faith in it even if he did call us "Onesies".

• Love 1

Hearing all these sites, such as TV by the numbers and EW saying Once will be renewed makes me think maybe the pilots ABC has are not doing well in testing and getting off the ground. Can't cancel a show if you have nothing to replace it with...

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Hearing all these sites, such as TV by the numbers and EW saying Once will be renewed makes me think maybe the pilots ABC has are not doing well in testing and getting off the ground. Can't cancel a show if you have nothing to replace it with...

ABC is a mess, if they think they can't do better than a disastrous lineup that sank as low as a 0.3/0.4.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:51 AM, maryle said:

The dialogue,the blandness of the Jasmine actress.

On 4/10/2017 at 8:31 PM, Tiger said:

I was stoked for Aladdin, Jasmin & Jafar to finally show up, but aside from Karen David actively working her ass off on screen to try to make it work, the whole thing was an epic failure.

Karen David lit up Galavant, especially the first season (they locked her away from the action far too long in the second) so she's far from bland.  Put the blame, as always, on TSTW.

On 4/11/2017 at 4:30 PM, Curio said:

How can you film 22 episodes where only one episode's A-plot focuses on the main couple of the show at the moment?

That's Regina and ... whoever she has a relationship with this week, isn't it?

On 4/11/2017 at 9:32 PM, KingOfHearts said:

Just give me Ariel showing her dinglehoppers to Jasmine, darn it. You can keep the Wicked Witch/Robin Hood rape.

From what I can see, looks like she's got damn fine dinglehoppers!!!!

23 hours ago, Free said:

ABC is a mess, if they think they can't do better than a disastrous lineup that sank as low as a 0.3/0.4.

Well, this season may or may not have 1 new drama whose season at least barely got the major network average rating with Designated Survivor; I'm leaning towards not with 6 eps left to go.

Last year had 0.

2014-2015 had Murder, still relatively successful.

2013-2014 had Shield and Resurrection, with Resurrection crashing hard and ending after 21 eps and Shield below average in subsequent seasons.

2012-2013 had 0.

So they don't have much reason to hope. I assume their #1 priority is the latest Shondaland legal drama, though The Catch is doing poorly and Still Star Crossed is getting a summer slot following in the footsteps of luminaries like Mistresses. 

15 hours ago, jhlipton said:

David lit up Galavant, especially the first season (they locked her away from the action far too long in the second) so she's far from bland.  Put the blame, as always, on TSTW.

Sorry to have offended you but I stand by my opinion.

I didn't saw Galavan and don't know the actress except for this role and I am not impress!

Neither by the Gideon actor or Lana this year.  I am in my right to say it!

at least there somewhere a guide of opinion that I must follow! Maybe I missed it?

Like always louange Colin and it is allowed to sometime hate on Lana?

Anyway,  Jen and Colin have many times surpassed the terrible writing for cs and their characters.

In fact, I am now certain it is because of them that cs has worked and still do despite the horrible and soapy writing this year.

P.S Am sorry but I don't want my favorite forum becoming a echo chamber like I do believe it is a risk to become if the tendace go on. 

Edited by maryle
4 hours ago, maryle said:

Sorry to have offended you but I stand by my opinion.  I am in my right to say it!

I'm far from offended and you have every right to your opinion.  We all have our favorites and no one opinion is more or less right than any other.
I do think that judging any actor or actress from their work on a show as poorly written as this on is not entirely fair.

Edited by jhlipton
"far" is NOT "fart"!
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, maryle said:

Maybe I will watch Galavan and appreciate her there.

You should if you can (availability is extremely limited).  It's a fun, silly show with an awesome cast.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, jjjmoss said:

Well, this season may or may not have 1 new drama whose season at least barely got the major network average rating with Designated Survivor; I'm leaning towards not with 6 eps left to go.

Last year had 0.

2014-2015 had Murder, still relatively successful.

2013-2014 had Shield and Resurrection, with Resurrection crashing hard and ending after 21 eps and Shield below average in subsequent seasons.

2012-2013 had 0.

So they don't have much reason to hope. I assume their #1 priority is the latest Shondaland legal drama, though The Catch is doing poorly and Still Star Crossed is getting a summer slot following in the footsteps of luminaries like Mistresses. 

DS is mostly likely a renewal especially given ABC's situation even if it keeps falling given their situation.  Other than that is their problem.

7 hours ago, Stuffy said:

Is that to me?  Because a weather interruption, does affect ratings.

It was probably about the Galavant tangent.

Weather could be a factor but yesterday was also Easter. I'm not expecting much from the ratings. 

• Love 1

I mean, DS will return, sure, but its second half of S1 being below network average ratings doesn't bode well and isn't a real win for their drama development.

Whatever Inside Disneynature: Wild Lives is was only one-tenth away from Once last night.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, jjjmoss said:

Whatever Inside Disneynature: Wild Lives is was only one-tenth away from Once last night.

Its BTS footage from several of the movies the Disney nature documentary arm has put out over the last few years.

These ratings are why I've always wondered why they haven't formally launched a "Wonderful World of Disney" type program for Sunday with a mix of new and old content that doesn't rely on a single showrunner that can't put out 20+ episodes of a drama per year without failing.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

These ratings are why I've always wondered why they haven't formally launched a "Wonderful World of Disney" type program for Sunday with a mix of new and old content that doesn't rely on a single showrunner that can't put out 20+ episodes of a drama per year without failing.

World of Disney was a staple of my childhood.  There really aren't any network shows that are truly aimed for kids anymore.  There used to be a number of shows on at 7 that really were designed for kids.

• Love 3

Once stayed steady with last week. I guess that is a positive for an Easter airing, but it still basically ties a series low. With little competition due to reruns on most other networks, Once maintaining its rating from last week isn't all that impressive.

• Love 1

They've only officially renewed their Shonda shows and most of the networks are holding back as well (aside from CBS). This is pretty typical for ABC -- aside from last year, Once's renewal has always been announced in May.

2 minutes ago, sharky said:

They've only officially renewed their Shonda shows and most of the networks are holding back as well (aside from CBS). This is pretty typical for ABC -- aside from last year, Once's renewal has always been announced in May.

Why is there so much talk this year specifically then? Just because the ratings suck more than usual? I feel like the speculation is pretty rampant compared to previous seasons

4 minutes ago, HariboPeach said:

Why is there so much talk this year specifically then? Just because the ratings suck more than usual? I feel like the speculation is pretty rampant compared to previous seasons

I think its because ratings are so much worse than usual and things like game shows and Disney specials are getting close enough in ratings that a complete rebuild seems more viable/cheaper than in prior seasons.  Plus contacts are up and whether its a negotiating tactic or not, the executives are talking about reboots and A&E pitching for S7 publically.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sharky said:

First off, aside from Lee's last upfront in 2015, ABC has been doing early renewala dating back to McPherson's regime.

Second, everything is on hold right as ABC and 20th are engaged in a protracted multi-show negotiation involving ModFam, Speechless, Boat, LMS, and a pilot ABC wants to pick up.  I think what's going to happen is that ModFam will get the two-year pick-up that 20th wants and will give up future syndication revenues on Boat and Speechless to co-producer ABC Studios.  

Comedy expansion is still the plan with one to two additional hours being added to the schedule. 

IMHO, Once's only shot at renewal is if the negotiations with 20th go south AND the drama pilots come in badly.

4 hours ago, CCTC said:

World of Disney was a staple of my childhood.  There really aren't any network shows that are truly aimed for kids anymore.  There used to be a number of shows on at 7 that really were designed for kids.

Little Big Shots and Masterchef Junior are pretty kid-central.

4 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Oooooh, I loved WWoD as a kid!  The magic paintbrush taking us to a Wonderful location!  So awesome!  I'd love to see a show like that again.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Tiger said:

First off, aside from Lee's last upfront in 2015, ABC has been doing early renewala dating back to McPherson's regime.

Not for Once. They've always announced its renewal in May, just before the Upfronts, except for last year. This was even during S1 when everyone knew it'd be renewed.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

At this point, Agents of Shield is looking stronger. Bumped up to a 0.8 last night, which for an ABC 10 o'clock show these days is a weak win and sorta meriting a renewal. Especially with a 0.9 lead-in.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, jjjmoss said:

At this point, Agents of Shield is looking stronger. Bumped up to a 0.8 last night, which for an ABC 10 o'clock show these days is a weak win and sorta meriting a renewal. Especially with a 0.9 lead-in.

And its contiuing to have week-to-week improvement in 18-34 and its bread and butter men's demos, and continuing to dominate its timeslot in all three.

Hmmmm! I don't know if the fact that ABC will have special for Once before the final episode (final battle) is a indication it could be the serie final!

Don't know if having a special can help the rating.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, maryle said:

Hmmmm! I don't know if the fact that ABC will have special for Once before the final episode (final battle) is a indication it could be the serie final!

Don't know if having a special can help the rating.

Well since the main narrative arc is ending, it makes sense whether or not the show is cancelled. 

• Love 1

They also didn't have a preview show before the spring premiere so maybe they're doing it now instead to rehash the season before the finale. I wonder if they're expecting an increase in viewers who need to get caught up after skipping episodes until the musical episode. 

I wonder if they're expecting an increase in viewers who need to get caught up after skipping episodes until the musical episode. 

If anyone needs to get caught up, I doubt they're even aware of the musical episode. It hasn't been promoted much at all outside of the fandom that's still watching.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

If anyone needs to get caught up, I doubt they're even aware of the musical episode. It hasn't been promoted much at all outside of the fandom that's still watching.

Actually, a few previews were posted this week for the musical episode and Emma's dress in particular even though the episode is three episodes away. It seems they're going to be putting a bit more of a promotional push behind the Captain Swan wedding.

9 minutes ago, sharky said:

Actually, a few previews were posted this week for the musical episode and Emma's dress in particular even though the episode is three episodes away. It seems they're going to be putting a bit more of a promotional push behind the Captain Swan wedding.

It would have flown better in S4, where it would have complimented Frozen well. (Even if it were in 4B.) It's a gimmick that should have struck while the iron was hot, or at least beginning to fade, which would have been during that time. Now, it's like closing the gate after the cows have all ran out.

• Love 2

Well, I am one who loves all the cs attention has and I am sure the rating will increase for the cs wedding. 

That funny, episode episode 19-20 are totally in the shadow presently. I think the real final will be the wedding and the final battle will still a little in the shadow of it.

The rating for the wedding and final could be back in the 1.0 but not indicate the rating for the spin off about the new guy and little girl.