Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: The Rock

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Suggestion for the guy who doesn't like the sound of his tarp blowing in the wind.  COVER IT with something like everyone else has done.  The one guy has built a full-on house, a chair, etc., etc.  I expect him to put on a guest wing next week.

I predict tarp-guy will tap soon; the snow is coming and he has very little protection.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 11

Stop calling it danger rock, Roland!!!!!!!! 

I know they all mean it in a respectful way, but if I am ever killed and eaten by a predator, I hope the predator does not thank me and tell me how beautiful I am while it is killing me.  : D

Did the guy with the meat briefs hanging in the tree leave? I can't remember which one he was. I really need a cheat sheet with the name and a few identifiers.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, TVbitch said:

Stop calling it danger rock, Roland!!!!!!!! 

I know they all mean it in a respectful way, but if I am ever killed and eaten by a predator, I hope the predator does not thank me and tell me how beautiful I am while it is killing me.  : D

Did the guy with the meat briefs hanging in the tree leave? I can't remember which one he was. I really need a cheat sheet with the name and a few identifiers.  

No I think that was Amos, he lost & found his ax last night.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Worrisome that more of the Aloners are not storing more food.

Way to go Joe! What a catch off a hook and line! Now finish your shelter.

Amos' shelter looks substantial. You got your wake up call.

Joel's song not as catchy as Lucas' 2 Note Song but it conveyed his emotions.

Callie's fireplace is fierce, now go hunt and trap and get ahead of your food needs.

Roland has us sitting on the edge of our couch...next week needs to come quickly.

Kielyn, protect your lungs.

• Love 10

Oh I loved that montage of the contemplative campers during that plaintive "mandolin" song....  That was really quite unexpected and quite nice!

Is anyone else concerned that Roland is going full Tom Hanks and treating his camera as his Wilson?  He keeps saying "we" and "us" and "let's go over here" like he's got a companion with him.  Maybe he thinks he's narrating his segments to us, the audience, and bringing us with him?  I have to say I like candid in-the-wilderness Roland much better than I like uncomfortable and grumpy talking head Roland in the post show.

I'm impressed with the shelters--except for blue tarp guy.  There's always gotta be that one house in the neighborhood that brings all the property values down for the rest.

I still can't tell them apart, except for Roland and Amos.  When they're wearing their hats, I can't tell the women apart--they both have kind of cute upturned noses.  Who is the guy who carved the memory stick?  Is he the same one that built the mandolin?  If he starts getting mopey holding that memory stick and composing sad songs, he's going to tap.  We've seen this.  We know.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Joel, the South African born mandolin maker, songster and carver of what he called his "emoji stick" or memory stick.

His 1 year old son is named Titan, Joel was the victim of the fly in his inner ear, fell off his ladder, has a productive his gill net and to stay busy and his mind off of missing Titan made the dice and chair. The musk ox skull staring into his shelter is named Jaco.

Roland has gotten out of his funk, gotten over hauling his video equipment and so now he talks to the camera and the future audience.

Roland still has resting bitch face on the Zoom call but he is animated when Colby calls on him.

I am actually happy for the after show, for the first time, because I saw Roland alive and well.

Otherwise, I would be scared that the show is foreshadowing that Roland will fall into the water and drown or get eaten by a bear. Not that I have any great love for Roland but I would not like to see anyone get hurt that way.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Otherwise, I would be scared that the show is foreshadowing that Roland will fall into the water and drown or get eaten by a bear. Not that I have any great love for Roland but I would not like to see anyone get hurt that way.

Not only would getting eaten by a bear be horrible, but they would probably cancel the show also.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Suggestion for the guy who doesn't like the sound of his tarp blowing in the wind.  COVER IT with something like everyone else has done.  The one guy has built a full-on house, a chair, etc., etc.  I expect him to put on a guest wing next week.

I predict tarp-guy will tap soon; the snow is coming and he has very little protection.

Yeah, his shelter is flimsy. I was impressed by the stone fireplace one of the women built. So glad Amos found his axe!

Joel gets an “A” for effort for making the mandolin, but he is no Marty Stuart! 😏

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yeah, his shelter is flimsy. I was impressed by the stone fireplace one of the women built. So glad Amos found his axe!

Joel gets an “A” for effort for making the mandolin, but he is no Marty Stuart! 😏

The advantage Joel has is that he is enjoying himself.  But I don't see him making the final three.  

I wouldn't call that a mandolin either, looks more like a three stringed ukulele to me.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Is anyone else concerned that Roland is going full Tom Hanks and treating his camera as his Wilson?  He keeps saying "we" and "us" and "let's go over here" like he's got a companion with him.  Maybe he thinks he's narrating his segments to us, the audience, and bringing us with him?

Of course he's talking to us, taking us with him, that's the whole point of the show.  That's why they have to film everything. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Isn't he the one building some kind of log home?  He'd better get crackin' on that soon.

7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Roland still has resting bitch face on the Zoom call but he is animated when Colby calls on him.

OMG, I came here JUST to say THAT, except I was going to say "resting prick face" for the male version, LOL.  😊

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

The advantage Joel has is that he is enjoying himself.  But I don't see him making the final three.  

I wouldn't call that a mandolin either, looks more like a three stringed ukulele to me.

I was going by what he called it! 🙄

When I watch this show, I am in reality show heaven.  There are no producers and cameramen telling the "actors" what scenes to shoot  like other reality shows ( you! Naked and Afraid)  and honest reactions from the participants.  I was so happy fo the guy who caught that huge trout. Being able to smoke fish and procure game will help get to that 100 days. 

• Love 4
On 7/10/2020 at 8:50 AM, AZChristian said:

The one guy has built a full-on house, a chair, etc., etc. 

They kept showing the outside of his house with his chimney that looked like a piece of rusted out something??  Did they show on a previous episode that he found something that he used as a chimney??

I loved his rabbit slippers, so cozy!

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Blackie said:

They kept showing the outside of his house with his chimney that looked like a piece of rusted out something??  Did they show on a previous episode that he found something that he used as a chimney??

I loved his rabbit slippers, so cozy!

Me too!  Dry out those boots and socks!     I love this show and both women are bringing it!!’

• Love 2
On 7/10/2020 at 3:43 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Is anyone else concerned that Roland is going full Tom Hanks and treating his camera as his Wilson? 

Yes. My thoughts exactly. Although I sense that having an electronic Wilson is very comforting to the Aloners, especially knowing someone would possibly be watching the footage at some point. It's good for their mental health to have someone to talk out loud to. 

On 7/10/2020 at 9:50 AM, AZChristian said:

Same. No shelter, little food, weak body. 

Being the last one to comment on every episode is making me feel very Alone! Maybe I'll just whittle a guitar out of a tree stump to cheer myself up. Or eat chips. Whichever is easier. 

• Love 2
On 8/1/2020 at 6:09 PM, Melina22 said:

Yes. My thoughts exactly. Although I sense that having an electronic Wilson is very comforting to the Aloners, especially knowing someone would possibly be watching the footage at some point. It's good for their mental health to have someone to talk out loud to. 

Same. No shelter, little food, weak body. 

Being the last one to comment on every episode is making me feel very Alone! Maybe I'll just whittle a guitar out of a tree stump to cheer myself up. Or eat chips. Whichever is easier. 

IF he knew to take the 12x12 as 1/4 clear material, and 3/4 reflective material, he could set up 100 sq ft of it as a Kochanski supershelter, and with hot rocks inside of it and a Siberian fire lay "aiming' its one way projeccted heat at the clear, vertical side of the lean-to, he'd be fine until he got the 2 inches of snow that is all you need to build an igloo in one day. If you've already got the pile of branches that you need, you can finish the igloo in half a day.  The Supershelter is capable of raising the temps inside of the tarp shelter by 70F degrees compared to the outside temp. the igloo can raise the temps by 50F degrees just with your body head, if it's a small igloo.   Even if it's -30F outside, all  you need is hot rocks under the raised wooden bed, debris, and your clothing to sleep ok, even without a sleeping bag

The rock house was a stupid waste of time and calorie. All the boulders do is suck the heat out of your shelter. The guy is dumb as a rock, hunting with just one arrow, not going back for more arrows, take 40 minutes, tops. Instead, he lets the animal suffer for FIVE hours. Then he's too dumb to move camp to the kill,  and too dumb to have an ice-caches, for the meat, just 10m from his shelter, so he could hear any animal attempting to get his food, come out and arrow them. Baited treblehooks and baited junglewhips will guard your cache, too.

Edited by batesj
  • Love 1
On 9/12/2020 at 1:10 AM, Melina22 said:

Where did you learn all this stuff? Have you applied for the show? 

I've applied for every season so far. I've read books and mags and done a lot of experimentation. It just takes a certain type of mind set to gather such info and add some tweeks here and there.