Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity Encounters

• Start Topic

I know how you feel, Miss Dee. I always read this thread with caution and that's why I rarely follow my favorites on FB or Twitter-I'm afraid they'll say something that really bothers me. I know they're human and not perfect and all of that, but I hate being confronted with it!

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

I have a new celebrity sighting to add, and it occurred just this morning!

Today I was doing some shopping at Ralphs -- a Southern California grocery store that is part of the Kroger family, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Ralphs.  This is a Ralphs that is about 1-2 blocks up the street from the Screen Actors Guild, E! Entertainment, NBC Universal and assorted other companies of that type.  Sometimes, when celebrities are in the neighborhood doing business, they may take a break to run a quick errand.  From what I have read, the late Joan Rivers used to walk up the block to her bank during breaks from shooting Fashion Police at E!

So I was standing at the in-store Starbucks, waiting for my breakfast sandwich, and I noticed a familiar face entering the store and heading towards the back, towards the general meat and cheese area.

Wearing a white sweatshirt and jeans; hair pulled back in a ponytail to expose neck tattoos; no make-up; and no entourage in tow, the tall celebrity in question was.... Queen Latifah!

No one seemed to recognize Latifah -- this store is almost always pretty slow on weekday mornings, so there were not a lot of customers to begin with.  But the cashier who rang her up at the checkstand didn't seem to recognize her either.

I said to the Starbucks employee who handed me my sandwich, "That's Queen Latifah."  I was met with a blank stare.

Three days ago I was out running errands at the Beverly Connection shopping center (it's across the street from the Beverly Center mall).  I was walking, and I turned onto Third Street to head to my next destination.  As I turned, I passed a slight blonde woman with a ponytail and delicate features.  She was instantly familiar (or her nose and mouth were!), but she was wearing a baseball cap and large sunglasses -- so half of her face was covered and it was throwing me off.  I was trying to determine where I had seen that nose and mouth before.  I think I finally established that it was Kristen Bell.  I'm about 80% sure that's who it was. 

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

I have a new celebrity sighting to add, and it occurred just this morning!

Today I was doing some shopping at Ralphs -- a Southern California grocery store that is part of the Kroger family, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Ralphs.  This is a Ralphs that is about 1-2 blocks up the street from the Screen Actors Guild, E! Entertainment, NBC Universal and assorted other companies of that type.  Sometimes, when celebrities are in the neighborhood doing business, they may take a break to run a quick errand.  From what I have read, the late Joan Rivers used to walk up the block to her bank during breaks from shooting Fashion Police at E!

So I was standing at the in-store Starbucks, waiting for my breakfast sandwich, and I noticed a familiar face entering the store and heading towards the back, towards the general meat and cheese area.

Wearing a white sweatshirt and jeans; hair pulled back in a ponytail to expose neck tattoos; no make-up; and no entourage in tow, the tall celebrity in question was.... Queen Latifah!

No one seemed to recognize Latifah -- this store is almost always pretty slow on weekday mornings, so there were not a lot of customers to begin with.  But the cashier who rang her up at the checkstand didn't seem to recognize her either.

I said to the Starbucks employee who handed me my sandwich, "That's Queen Latifah."  I was met with a blank stare.

What is the world coming to?

• Love 1

I've sat next to a few celebrities on airplanes over the years...

Bill Cosby sat in the seat in front of me once. He was bit taller than I expected (even though I knew he was tall) and actually wearing a Cosby sweater.

I observed no unusual behaviors.

To bring this back to celebrity crushes -- I once chatted briefly with Rob Lowe in an airport lounge (about the NFL draft, which we were watching on the same TV).  That man is FINE.

I just squealed like I was back in high school. Good for you, emmastone. I'm really enjoying his second memoir, the book of essays (Why does a 40-something year old man need two autobiographies? Who knows?)

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, weird - both those recent quotes (re. celebs on airplanes and Rob Lowe in an airport lounge) attributed to emmastone were from me.

Anyway, I also used to see Rob Lowe at a Mexican restaurant during his West Wing tenure; it was where I held my staff meetings at the time, and he would often be there with a small circle of what seemed to be advisers.  We were obviously both occupied, so I never approached him then; he's so damn hot, I was happy to run into him in the airport lounge setting where I could speak with him.  I mean, I'll discuss the NFL draft with anybody it's such a highlight of my year ... with Rob Lowe?  Hell yeah.

Edited by Bastet

Okay, weird - both those recent quotes (re. celebs on airplanes and Rob Lowe in an airport lounge) attributed to emmastone were from me.

So you're the source of my fangirl squee, Bastet. Didn't mean to rob you of your props.

(edited)

No props necessary for being in the right place at the right time, it was just surreal to see things I'd posted long ago pop up anew, but attributed to someone else.  I read the first one and thought, "Wait, didn't I say that?  Because that happened to me, and I must have posted about it."  (It sounds like the posts reappeared, with new attribution, but I didn't see that, just the posts quoting them, so it was quite confusing.)

But I'm pleased to have contributed to a squee moment.  I don't know much about Lowe, so my appreciation of him is completely shallow, but I don't feel guilty because he's really one of the finest men I've ever seen.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Some years ago (I'm guessing while he was filming World's Greatest Dad), I saw Robin Williams at the Seattle aquarium. He was with a young blonde woman who I thought at the time must be his daughter, but now that I know what his daughter actually looks like, it definitely wasn't her. I was standing at the tide pool exhibit, when I hear his unmistakable voice to my left. I look over and an aquarium employee is giddily smiling at me, pointing at Robin like "can you believe who it is?". Robin spent a few seconds at the exhibit and touched one of the starfish. He said something to me and I said something back, but I can't remember at all what it was about, but it was just an exchange of like 2 words. Then they walked off to look at some jellyfish.

Small, but it was the most interaction I've ever had with a celebrity! 

• Love 2

My encounters are even smaller: I was once in an elevator with David Hasselhoff (very tall), and when I worked in a bookstore I waited on Gene Hackman, Chuck Connors, Robert Guillaume and one of the guys from the bar on early Cheers episodes. He seemed thrilled that I had recognized him. The author Jonathan Kellerman was perturbed that I didn't automatically know who he was.

• Love 2

Mark Harmon is married to Mindy? Didn't know that. Two great stories.

Sorry for the horribly late response. I only recently found this thread.

Yep, Mark Harmon's married to "Mindy" (Pam Dawber). They've been married for almost 30 years now (since March, 1987) & have 2 grown sons, Sean & Ty, ages 27 & 23. Sean's played a younger version of his father's NCIS character in 5 different episodes of the show, so far (2 eps in S6 & S9, 1 ep in S7).

I feel like this thread was made for me. I've been meeting celebrities since I was a few weeks old, partly because my parents knew a lot of entertainers through their respective jobs, partly from my involvement in TV and radio, partly through random encounters.

A few examples:

I've been told that Buddy Rich baby-sat me for about an hour during a party back when I was just a few months old.

Last week I met Stephen Kupka from Tower of Power while I was at work. My current job has absolutely nothing to do with any aspect of entertainment, he just happened to be randomly hanging with some of my customers. Nice guy.

Stan Ridgway and his manager once sicced some nightclub bouncers on me during his show's intermission because Stan thought I was making a bootleg recording. I let the bouncers search me (surprise, no recording going on), then told all and sundry to go fuck themselves and left the club.

The TV station that I used to work at did some production work for Merl Haggard. I met him briefly at our studio.

I spoke with Henry Rollins for a few minutes after one of his spoken word performances. Nice guy, talked a mile a minute. Was a bit shorter in person than I thought he'd be.

• Love 3

I haven't met any celebrities myself, but both of my parents have a long time ago. I'll list who they met later.

Here's who I've corresponded with via email though:

The guy who did the music for Seinfeld along with other shows

Someone who was on the Dean Cain era of Ripley's Believe It Or Not

The mother of one of the actors on Home Improvement

One of the actors who played Frederick Crane on Frasier

A couple of radio DJ's

I also made a funny article about some obscure band on a parody website a few years ago, and the drummer of that said band actually responded to the comments himself.

• Love 2

From long ago

mom use to work in a facility for the mentally challenged.  Tom Cruise and Dustin Huffman were going to be a filming a movie together.  They needed someone to show the actors around.  Everyone wanted to show Tom Cruise around.  Many brought their daughters to work that day.  My mom was given the job to show Dustin around.  

That week every-time a limo drove by dads joke was “bets that’s  Dustin.  He fell in love with you “ 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, tribeca said:

From long ago

mom use to work in a facility for the mentally challenged.  Tom Cruise and Dustin Huffman were going to be a filming a movie together.  They needed someone to show the actors around.  Everyone wanted to show Tom Cruise around.  Many brought their daughters to work that day.  My mom was given the job to show Dustin around.  

That week every-time a limo drove by dads joke was “bets that’s  Dustin.  He fell in love with you “ 

I know exactly what movie. Rain Man.

• Love 2

It probably wasn't really him, but a guy claiming to be Andrew McCarthy was in a chat I was in once, and he was extremely bitter and claiming that Molly Ringwald was high as a kite on coke when they did Pretty in Pink. I mean, again, it probably wasn't him, but a kernel of me wants to believe it was, because Andrew does have a drinking problem and I can see a drunk has-been basically being bitter in a chat room. Also, again, Andrew McCarthy. Who would have bothered pretending to be Andrew McCarthy in 2001?

My other favorite internet "celebrity" encounter was with a guy who claimed he was Abercrombie and Fitch model Lane Carlson. LOL. That was pretty clearly fake, but it was an enjoyable chat.

My favorite "verified" celebrity internet encounter is when Ed Skrein liked a tweet I made after Deadpool came out. I just squeed like a little girl.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It probably wasn't really him, but a guy claiming to be Andrew McCarthy was in a chat I was in once, and he was extremely bitter and claiming that Molly Ringwald was high as a kite on coke when they did Pretty in Pink. I mean, again, it probably wasn't him, but a kernel of me wants to believe it was, because Andrew does have a drinking problem and I can see a drunk has-been basically being bitter in a chat room. Also, again, Andrew McCarthy. Who would have bothered pretending to be Andrew McCarthy in 2001?

Oh, I hope it was him because that story is too good for it not to be. I, too, love the idea of a drunk has-been trolling the internet. I mean, they are people and people use the internet and it would be so awesome. If it is, and even if his story was true, I don't care because Molly Ringwald killed it in Pretty in Pink. I love that movie. 

• Love 3

I did some digging around and Andrew McCarthy says he's been clean since 1992, but honestly, Belinda Carlisle also claimed that she was sober since 1985 in her Behind the Music episode from the late 90's and that was a lie.

It's so odd and weird that I kind of want to believe it- that Andrew had a slip-up circa 2001 and sat down to that internet chatroom thing to spill the beans with random strangers about his time as a celebrity. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1