Type keyword(s) to search

Daily Planet Dispatches: News and Media

• Start Topic

Triple-extra hoping for a shockingly awesome sophomore season now. If a good season can in any way help the show survive somewhere, I’m all for it. And even if the quality has no bearing on the final outcome, I’ll at least have two good seasons of the show to look back on. 😊

1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

I believe Roswell is owned by CBS and with Riverdales Netflix popularity I dont think they can move them to HBO Max. It'd have to finish out a run on netflix.

I was looking at distribution for Roswell which said WB but you're right. The CBS shows can easily move to Paramount which would be fine and it would be interesting to see Riverdale finish up on Netflix. They did a great job with Lucifer so it's possible. 

The hard part would be the Arrowverse shows since Flash and LOT are still linked to Netflix while the rest are linked to HBO Max. 

• Love 1
On 1/6/2022 at 12:13 PM, Primal Slayer said:

WB/CBS looking to break up. Sell off TheCW. Future for all their shows up in the air should they do so.

The news is not that dire. No where is it said the network will break up or their shows will have to go elsewhere. I'm not getting why so many are jumping to that conclusion as well as everything will get shuttled off to HBO Max when nothing like that has been said. In fact the exact opposite has been said if you read the deadline article. So many are dancing on CW's grave when it's nowhere near death.

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 1

Superman & Lois is a 2021 EMA Green Seal recipient...

Environmental Media Association (EMA) Green Seal 2021
https://www.green4ema.org/ema-green-seal-production

The EMA Green Seal is a recognition program honoring progress in sustainable production for movies, television shows (animated and live action) filmed commercials and print advertising.
The Program rating is determined on a scale of 200 points. A minimum threshold of 75 points must be obtained in order to receive EMA Green Seal recognition. We have also introduced the EMA Gold Seal for projects that score 125 points and more. All projects that reach this threshold receive our EMA Gold Seal label. The rating is based on a self-assessment by the production company on how well it complies with the Program criteria developed by EMA and the sustainability departments of major studio Board members.

Edited by tv echo
On 1/7/2022 at 3:59 AM, Proteus said:

The news is not that dire. No where is it said the network will break up or their shows will have to go elsewhere. I'm not getting why so many are jumping to that conclusion as well as everything will get shuttled off to HBO Max when nothing like that has been said. In fact the exact opposite has been said if you read the deadline article. So many are dancing on CW's grave when it's nowhere near death.

A knee-jerk reaction on the internet based off of an incomplete understanding of the situation?  I guess there really is a first time for everything.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 1/7/2022 at 2:59 AM, Proteus said:

If you are selling something and saying it has no profit, someone coming in and keeping everything the same isnt likely to happen. Right now CW doesnt have to pay any major fees to WB/CBS for their shows. if this deal comes through and if they sell off their portions then you go right back to renting shows and spending even more money. They'd likely revamp the network to whatever they best see fit.

On 1/7/2022 at 2:59 AM, Proteus said:

On the surface you're right since nothing but the sale has been announced.

However:

2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

If you are selling something and saying it has no profit, someone coming in and keeping everything the same isnt likely to happen. Right now CW doesnt have to pay any major fees to WB/CBS for their shows. if this deal comes through and if they sell off their portions then you go right back to renting shows and spending even more money. They'd likely revamp the network to whatever they best see fit.

I agree with @Primal Slayer that there will be changes to the network and that's where the spec and wishlist comes from. Maybe we'll get lucky and all those changes will be positive and benefit everyone involved but it's not likely. My big fear is that the sale will result in a slew of reality shows, which are cheap to make, and most of the current content will get cancelled before they have a chance to properly end. 

3 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

But CBS & WB are not saying "we are selling something that has no profit." I feel like the no profit line is what everyone on the internet is grasping on. That's not news or anything new. It's been said for years that the broadcast station isn't where CW makes their success. It's their digital sites & international sales. And if you read the deadline piece, both companies according to them, if this even happens, are to keep a minority stake in the network & still remain suppliers.

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

On the surface you're right since nothing but the sale has been announced.

However:

I agree with @Primal Slayer that there will be changes to the network and that's where the spec and wishlist comes from. Maybe we'll get lucky and all those changes will be positive and benefit everyone involved but it's not likely. My big fear is that the sale will result in a slew of reality shows, which are cheap to make, and most of the current content will get cancelled before they have a chance to properly end. 

I see that's the conclusion everyone online is jumping too. I just think it's a big leap. I feel like all this doom & gloom has gotten out of control. Any changes to the CW could take years to happen. Not everything canceled in one swell swoop & everything replaced with reality shows.

Edited by Proteus
19 hours ago, Proteus said:

But CBS & WB are not saying "we are selling something that has no profit." I feel like the no profit line is what everyone on the internet is grasping on. That's not news or anything new. It's been said for years that the broadcast station isn't where CW makes their success. It's their digital sites & international sales. And if you read the deadline piece, both companies according to them, if this even happens, are to keep a minority stake in the network & still remain suppliers.

I see that's the conclusion everyone online is jumping too. I just think it's a big leap. I feel like all this doom & gloom has gotten out of control. Any changes to the CW could take years to happen. Not everything canceled in one swell swoop & everything replaced with reality shows.

Everyone has reported that they have not made a profit on TheCW since it launched and with both CBS/WB having their own streaming services, they arent making the same type of money they made in past by selling the streaming rights. But Variety said it best

The CW is not profitable for ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia (which is set to be acquired by Discovery, Inc. from AT&T this year), but a new majority owner like Nexstar could change that by shifting the CW programming target away from the 18-34 demographic. Focusing on an older demo or taking the CW’s content in a more homey-heartland direction as the way to boost ratings and viewership, and thus ad sales.

But Nexstar may also find the CW’s linear programming to be of even more value depending on how the potential buyer chose to handle the The CW’s streaming options: the CW App and website

https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/cw-sale-nexstar-streaming-walker-riverdale-shows-1235148174/

7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Everyone has reported that they have not made a profit on TheCW since it launched and with both CBS/WB having their own streaming services, they arent making the same type of money they made in past by selling the streaming rights. But Variety said it best

https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/cw-sale-nexstar-streaming-walker-riverdale-shows-1235148174/

I think Deadline said it best:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2022/01/the-cw-sale-warnermedia-viacomcbs-nexstar-1234905157/amp/

The network is not as doomed as the mass hysteria on the Internet is saying.

Edited by Proteus

PALEYFEST LA 2022
https://www.paleycenter.org/events/paleyfest-2022/

April 3 • 2:00 pm
Superman & Lois
Featuring a Special Preview Screening Selected for this Event by the Producers followed by a conversation and Q&A with:

Tyler Hoechlin
Elizabeth ‘Bitsie’ Tulloch
Jordan Elsass
Alex Garfin
Todd Helbing

Plus additional guests to be announced.

Events & Participants are Subject to Change. Talent Appear Schedule Permitting.

\

Edited by tv echo

Superman & Lois got 2 Critics Choice Super Awards nominations....

Nominations Announced for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards
February 22, 2022 
http://criticschoice.com/2022/02/nominations-announced-for-the-2nd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards/ 

(Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2022) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the nominees for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action. Winners will be revealed on Thursday, March 17.
TELEVISION NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2ND ANNUAL CRITICS CHOICE SUPER AWARDS
BEST SUPERHERO SERIES*
Doom Patrol
Hawkeye
Loki
Lucifer
Superman & Lois
WandaVision

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPERHERO SERIES*
Paul Bettany – WandaVision
Tom Ellis – Lucifer
Brendan Fraser – Doom Patrol
Tom Hiddleston – Loki
Tyler Hoechlin – Superman & Lois
Anthony Mackie – The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
* Superhero categories also include Comic Book and Video Game Inspired Series

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Female TV Trailblazers: 25+ Characters Who Made a Big Impact on the Small Screen, From Lucy to Buffy and Beyond
By Team TVLine / March 8 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/best-female-tv-characters-iconic-women-photos/i-love-lucy-ricardo/ 

LOIS LANE, MULTIPLE SUPERMAN SERIES
Whether played by Noel Neill (on Adventures of Superman), Teri Hatcher (Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman), Erica Durance (Smallville) or Elizabeth Tulloch (Superman & Lois) — or voiced by any number of actresses over the years — Lois Lane has been as much defined by her commitment to truth, justice and the American way of journalism as by her Boyfriend of Steel. She set a standard of “no damsel in distress” self-reliance that the likes of Iris West and Felicity Smoak would aspire to meet.

THR considers Superman & Lois a "lock" to be renewed for Season 3...

Broadcast TV Scorecard 2022: What’s New, Renewed and Canceled (So Far)
BY LESLEY GOLDBERG   MARCH 4, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/broadcast-tv-2022-new-renewed-canceled-1235104494/ 

Superman & Lois (WB): a lock to return for season three

ETA: The CW has an upfront presentation scheduled for May 19. I would expect the network to make renewal announcements that day, unless The CW chooses to make selected renewal announcements before then.

Edited by tv echo

There will be a Superman & Lois cast panel at this year's WonderCon...

WonderCon, April 1-3, 2022 (Anaheim, CA)
https://comic-con.org/wca/programming-schedule 

Superman & Lois Special Video Presentation and Q&A
... Saturday, April 2, 2022
... 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM

... See a special video presentation followed by a Q&A with the executive producer and series stars (participants to be determined) of Superman and Lois at their WonderCon debut. The cast includes Tyler Hoechlin, Elizabeth Tulloch, Jordan Elsass, Alex Garfin, Erik Valdez, Inde Navarrette, Wolé Parks, Tayler Buck, Sofia Hamsik, with Dylan Walsh and Emmanuelle Chriqui. Greg Berlanti and Todd Helbing developed the series and serve as executive producers along with Sarah Schechter, Geoff Johns, and David Madden. From Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, Superman and Lois airs Tuesdays at 8/7 on The CW or stream for free on The CW app. Catch up on the first season on HBO Max.

There will also be a TV Guide fan favorites panel comprised of WB TV showrunners at this year's WonderCon, but the participating showrunners have not yet been identified:

TV Guide Magazine’s 2022 Fan Favorites: Warner Bros. Television Showrunners Edition
... Sunday, April 3, 2022
... 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM

The publication that loves TV and the studio that loves to make TV team up to bring together an epic group of showrunners from some of your favorite series. From Warner Bros. Television Group, panelists will swap behind-the-scenes stories, dish about everything that goes into putting these shows on the air, and tease what’s to come. TV Guide Magazine senior writer Damian Holbrook moderates.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Video of Superman & Lois panel at WonderCon in Anaheim, CA, on Saturday (April 2)...

Superman & Lois TV show Wondercon 2022 panel
Daniel Alvarez    Apr 3, 2022

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Also, the Superman & Lois cast was at PaleyFest L.A. on Sunday (April 3)...

Todd Helbing on where Superman & Lois fits in the Arrowverse | PaleyFest 2022
KSite TV   Apr 3, 2022

Tyler Hoechlin & Elizabeth Tulloch | Superman & Lois at PaleyFest 2022
KSite TV   Apr 3, 2022

Alex Garfin (with bonus Tayler Buck!) | Superman & Lois at PaleyFest 2022
KSite TV   Apr 3, 2022

Superman & Lois at Paley Fest 2022
INLOVE Magazine   Apr 3, 2022

Edited by tv echo

You can watch video of the entire Superman & Lois panel at PaleyFest L.A. 2022 by going to the following link...

Video – “Superman & Lois” Panel at PaleyFest 2022
April 6, 2022
https://www.supermanhomepage.com/video-superman-lois-panel-at-paleyfest-2022/

The “Superman & Lois” presentation took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday April 3 at 2.00pm, and featured a special preview screening selected for the event by the producers of the series, followed by a conversation and Q&A with the stars.
Thanks to the JustClois Instagram account, we have the 45 minute Q&A panel video.

PaleyFest2022-SandL2.jpg 

Edited by tv echo

Stargirl & S.T.R.I.P.E. Confront Pat's Past in Arrowverse Crossover

DC Comics is offering The Earth-Prime 6 issue Comic Book series, an Arrowverse Crossover Event featuring "canon" TV versions of your favorite CW Superheroes "Batwoman, Superman & Lois, Legends of Tomorrow, Stargirl, and The Flash. Each superhero is highlighted in their own issue before coming together in an epic conclusion in Issue 6.

0222DC038.jpg
Earth-Prime #1 is "Batwoman" on April 5th.
Ever since the tech that created many of Batman's rogues hit the streets, Ryan Wilder has been running herself ragged trying to contain the new villains popping up around Gotham City. But when Clayface's mud binds itself to a local high schooler, Batwoman will need help from an unexpected source to contain this muddy foe! Also, follow how Luke Fox balances his life as a superhero and a boyfriend!
Earth-Prime-1-Batwoman-Main_61eb7ed0e9e6

0222DC040.jpg
Earth-Prime #2 is "Superman & Lois" on April 19th. 
A story spotlighting Clark Kent and Lois Lane's first anniversary. Plus, the true origins of the evil Superman from John Henry Irons' world are finally revealed!
0222DC039_2.jpeg

FQ-Q2ZIVcAACKur-1.jpg
Earth-Prime #3 is "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" on May 3rd. 
Ray Palmer assembling the retired Legends for one last go-round after he learns Mick Rory's Necrian children have been kidnapped by a group of mysterious Necrian assassins. Some "former teammates" might also be making an appearance.
0322DC047.jpg
Earth-Prime #4 is "Stargirl" on May 17th.
the Dugan-Whitmore family vacation in full swing, but something sinister lurks in the woods, stalking Pat Dugan. Can Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E. face down the threat from Pat's past and preserve their summer trip, or will it come to a tragic end?
Earth-Prime-Stargirl-4-3.jpg

Earth-Prime #5 is "The Flash" on June 7th.
When Barry Allen and Iris West go out of town for a much-needed vacation in 2049, Bart and Nora are left to stay out of trouble in Central City. With their parents gone, Bart begs Nora to let him go on patrol and really be a hero, but Nora refuses, saying it's too dangerous without Barry there. But when one of Bart's classmates at Central City University starts causing trouble, how can Impulse not leap into action?
2100574_xl.jpg

Earth-Prime #6 "Hero's Twilight" on June 21st. 
Arrowverse CW Superhero Crossover. A force arises that wants to free humanity from their dependency on "Superheroes".

(edited)

CW Fall Schedule Has Winchesters, Stargirl, All-Walker Thursdays; Flash, Superman & Lois Held for Midseason
By Ryan Schwartz / May 19 2022,
https://tvline.com/2022/05/19/the-cw-fall-schedule-2022/ 

♦ Veterans The Flash, Nancy Drew, Riverdale (returning for its farewell run) and Superman & Lois are being held for midseason, along with new DC entry Gotham Knights. In their place will be a plethora of international acquisitions, including the previously announced action series Professionals (starring Smallville‘s Tom Welling and Doom Patrol‘s Brendan Fraser) and Canadian legal drama Family Law (starring Legends of Tomorrow‘s Victor Garber and Firefly‘s Jewel Staite).

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Superman & Lois showrunner explains show's place in the Arrowverse, addresses future crossovers
By Sydney Bucksbaum June 30, 2022
https://ew.com/tv/superman-and-lois-not-in-arrowverse/ 

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Where did the decision come from to spell out Superman & Lois' place in the Arrowverse in this finale?
TODD HELBING:
It goes back to season 1. In the original [pilot] there were a lot of references to Crisis and there was a Flash mention, and when we were shooting the original intent was to be part of the Arrowverse. But you know, then the pandemic hit and things changed and we couldn't do a crossover with Batwoman, and all of these references to Crisis through the pilot rewriting phase got stripped out just to make everything a little bit more clear for a broader audience. Then at some point in season 1 I had a conversation with DC, and we clearly wanted to put our own stamp on the show and our take on the Superman mythology. The original intent was to be part of the Arrowverse, but the further along we got and now, unfortunately, with the other shows being off the air, it just felt like the best decision was to have our Superman & Lois not be on the same Earth as the Arrowverse.
Why wait until the season 2 finale to finally answer that question?
Ultimately, these decisions are not up to me. [Laughs] I'm the showrunner but I have a lot of bosses, and in my discussion with DC they just felt like it would be best to wait until the end of season 2 before I could reveal that. I would love to tell you a specific answer about why DC wanted that, but they have their own structure over there in what they are trying to accomplish and we're just one piece of that, so I am glad to do whatever they request.

Does this mean that Superman & Lois' versions of Clark and Lois [Elizabeth Tulloch] are officially different from who we saw in all the Arrowverse crossovers and appearances in the past?
Yeah, exactly. Everybody that you see, while some people may have similar backstories and some may be different, they're different characters.

Does this mean no more crossovers in the future?
No, not necessarily. I mean, Supergirl was on CBS and came over to Flash, and vice versa. We're doing a comic book show, so it doesn't necessarily mean that this will never happen. I think the odds of it looking exactly the way that it has in the past are slim. But if there's an opportunity, and if there's a desire, I'm sure there are versions that we can do.
Taking all that into account, when David Ramsey shows up at the end of the finale as John Diggle to talk with John Henry [Wolé Parks], that means this is a new version of Diggle? 
Exactly. He's a doppelgänger. He worked with Oliver Queen, he worked with other heroes that as of now are unnamed, but yeah, he's just a doppelgänger of John Diggle that everybody saw in the Arrowverse.
Going back to Diggle's conversation with Johny Henry, he name-dropped Bruno Manheim and Intergang. Is that going to be the big bad for season 3?
Yeah, at least one of them. We haven't gotten into too many discussions about season 3 yet, but what we love to do is introduce one or two or three different villains and have them sort of pass the baton or come together, and what you think is originally a Lois story becomes a Superman story and vice versa. We just like to have multiple characters on our show have multiple villains.
What are you most excited to explore next season?
For all of us, the most exciting part about this show is the family dynamic. We have three families — the Kents, the Irons, the Cushings — and they're all different versions of families, and they have different challenges and different victories. The family stuff, the relationships, that's the stuff that we all get most excited about. It's funny because sometimes, depending on who the villain is, the mythology starts to take over towards the end. We really try to offset that as much as we can. With Ally, when you talk about combining two worlds and the population on both, it gets a little sci-fi and comic book. [Laughs] I think next year, I would guess that we lean a little less into mythology and more into the personal drama.

Edited by tv echo

Oh PLEASE.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Removing this show from the Arrowverse because of the pandemic and not able to do crossovers? A show can reference other characters and events without having those actors appear if it’s not possible to get them. Hebling is so very disingenuous here.

(edited)
On 7/1/2022 at 9:03 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh PLEASE.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Removing this show from the Arrowverse because of the pandemic and not able to do crossovers? A show can reference other characters and events without having those actors appear if it’s not possible to get them. Hebling is so very disingenuous here.

My impression is that they said something different. They said they assumed they were an active member of the Arrowverse earth at the beginning of the show and that, although it was difficult to arrange crossovers, etc,, because of Covid restrictions,  they laid in the groundwork with easter eggs. Eventually they decided they were okay without the others and DC decided to let the arrowverse die naturally.

Edited by Affogato
(edited)

Elizabeth Tulloch will be part of this panel at SDCC...

Alex Garfin and Jordan Elsass discuss how their characters differ from the comics
FAN EXPO HQ    Jul 19, 2022

...  At Fan Expo Vancouver 2022, Alex Garfin and Jordan Elsass discuss how their characters differ from the comics and what that means for the show moving forward.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Superman & Lois’ Bitsie Tulloch Spills Kent & Lane Family Secrets of Season 2 | Comic Con 2022
IGN   Jul 22, 2022

Elizabeth Tulloch on SUPERMAN & Lois, the family drama, S3 & more @ San Diego Comic Con | TV Insider
TV Insider   Jul 23, 2022

Edited by tv echo

Jordan Elsass Interview
Pop Star Extraordinaire Maya    Aug 4, 2022

Alex Garfin & Jordan Elsass were fans of DC before getting cast!
FAN EXPO HQ   Aug 3, 2022

Alex Garfin getting the audition
FAN EXPO HQ    Jul 31, 2022