Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

I’m glad that this version followed the Israeli version pretty closely. The biggest differences are

Amos is now Daniel

Noa’s last name is now Hamilton instead of Hollander

Vanessa is now a real estate agent and she has a roommate instead of living with her family 

Noa’s manager is younger and now named Lewis. They seemed to have toned down his being a racist asshole that has antagonist banter with Amos/Daniel. Amos usually called him Gucci. 

The spelling of Amos/Daniel’s mom is different, but it sounds similar. 

The names of the rest of his family was changed to sound more Cuban  

Noa is now Australian, although her accent was subtle

I wish they would have hired Jason Lewis to play Noa’s ex since he is known to American audiences and he was also in the original. 

I was happy they decided to go with the subtitles because it’s more likely that his family would switch back and forth between speaking Spanish and English in real life. 

I’m enjoying this version so far and I hope it gains an audience. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I’m a fan of the actors who play the dad and mom. 
It has the potential to be saccharine comfort-food TV in The Time Of Corona. We shall see.  
At least they didn’t try to rely on exchanges of bodily fluids between hotties for ratings. 

• Love 10

That’s one thing that is great about this show (if they continue to follow the original) is that it’s just as much about their families and neighbors as it is about the romance of the main couple. It has humor and it has heart, but it also addresses other big issues. 

• Love 5

I watched this for Nathalie Kelley because I loved her on The Vampire Diaries (yes, I know she's not the world's greatest actress--but she has an irrepressible charm that I adore), and will pretty much watch her in anything, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I really enjoyed this. It was lighthearted and like comfort food. I liked how the family was showcased as much as the couple, and all of the characters felt real.

I look forward to next week.

And, yes, Kelley's Noa was adorable.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, driver18 said:

I watched this for Nathalie Kelley because I loved her on The Vampire Diaries (yes, I know she's not the world's greatest actress--but she has an irrepressible charm that I adore), and will pretty much watch her in anything, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I really enjoyed this. It was lighthearted and like comfort food. I liked how the family was showcased as much as the couple, and all of the characters felt real.

I look forward to next week.

And, yes, Kelley's Noa was adorable.

Yes, and everything felt natural between the families and even the Hollywood angle. Hopefully, they can keep that dynamic going. I enjoyed the pilot. 

• Love 3

I mentioned this in the anticipation thread, but I’ll also mention it here that the original Israeli version is streaming both seasons on Amazon Prime. It’s fun to compare it to the new version. The original is really good source material and they truly won’t need to change much for the American version. 

• Love 1

I liked it. It is some much needed entertaining piffle. 

The premise is kind of cliched, and I don't expect that to change in future episoes, but I can certainly live with that. 

In all honesty the only thing that bugged me was the scene where they were rappeling down the side of the building.

I get the purpose of the scene, but I am sorry, there is NO WAY IN HELL Noa is going to be rapelling in that dress, let alone those heels. Who they hell are they trying to kid? 

And oh yeah, I am firmly Team Vanessa. By which I mean, I really want her to walk away from all this, because she can do much better than a chump like Daniel. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

So I just got around to watching it and it definitely is comforting quarantine fun. 

It me several tries to get through the proposal scene from cringing second hand embarrassment. I felt sorry for Vanessa even though she should have realised from the complete "oh f no!" vibes Daniel was giving off with every fibre of his being. And it was pretty cliché that she was all "I'm 28, on a diet and it's time to get married and have babies!" That said apart from the soup throwing her parting shot was fun "google me!". Convincing herself that they're still on track because she surprised him and he's Cuban so he would want to be more alpha than accept a girlfriend's proposal, oh no honey.  

I liked Noa even though she came across as a little flaky, NK is certainly charming.  

Daniel is more of a blank slate at the moment compared to both girls but I'll wait and see until he's more fleshed out. 

I liked both their friends and family and I do expect it will be one of those shows where the family/friends interactions balance things out and keep me watching when the love story becomes incredibly frustrating. I also liked they were speaking in a mixture of Spanish and English, that seemed to add a touch of authenticity.

• Love 2

I just saw what I guess was a repeat of the pilot...and I really enjoyed it!

I love the close family dynamic of Daniel's family. It felt "real". The parents weren't some sort of caricature. And, dumb, but I like that they actually spoke Spanish at points at home! The subtitles are enough to know what is being said.

Daniel and Noa had a real sweet, yet fun, edgy charm to them! I have never seen the original Israeli series, but I may have to check it out to see differences/similarities, etc.

Lewis seemed like an uptight snobby prig, but maybe he will chill out? Liked Noa's girlfriends.

Actually, the only character I did not care much for is Vanessa, Daniel's ex-fiancé. Too shrill. Just too...much. But why do I get the feeling that she and Daniel's brother may start something?!

Anyway, I see this airs on Mondays. I will have to check out episode 2.  🙂

Sadly, I see the ratings for the pilot were not stellar. And after being burned by ABC with Whiskey Cavalier, I'm hesitant to get too attached. But damn it, this was charming!

• Love 4

I decided to give this show a try, even if the advertisements didnt really grab me, and I am really glad that I did. The characters are fun, especially Daniels family, who have a real familiar warmth to them that really pulled me in. Right now, thats the dynamic that is really hooking me. 

• Love 3

Vanessa should have known by them dating for 4 years and him not seeming enthused about more or less anything. But when she did catch on and asked him to say yes and they could talk about it later, I kind of thought he was a dick not to even try to do anything to soften the humiliation for her. Surely he realized by then that she knew he wasn't really saying yes. He could have said something, even something like "I don't deserve you" would have been better than a flat "No."

But I also hate public proposals, I don't get why people like them, so I was also kind of with him on his general vibe of wanting to disappear.

I liked Vanessa's google me parting speech, though. Way to reclaim yourself!

I also saw the brother being interested in her.

I like the sister but I'm not sure if I can stomach the premise of the show, so I'm kind of on the fence here. I agree though that right now, a show like this might be good for getting out of my own head, which is a bit too full of gloom and pessimism and tragedy most days.

• Love 1

This was a very good show. Much better than I expected. Just happened to catch the Saturday showing when nothing else was on. I will keep watching.

Nathalie Kelley and Melissa Barrera (of "Vida") are the two most beautiful women on television right now. Why is her character Australian? Doesn't make sense. She should be Latina, since NK is Peruvian. 

Daniel seems way out of his league with both Noa and Vanessa. Not even close.

The manager guy is really a weasel. 

On 4/15/2020 at 6:39 PM, HerkyJerky said:

I LOVE this show!  Does Nathalie Kelley remind anybody else of Vanessa Lachey?

Yes, there is a resemblence in the face, especially. Vanessa is quite the beauty...she is half-Fillipino and half-Italian. Interesting mix. Just a shame that she married that putz.

Edited by BigDfromLA
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

Why is her character Australian? Doesn't make sense. She should be Latina, since NK is Peruvian.

According to IMDB she moved to Australia when she was 2 years old, so based on that it makes sense to make her character Australian. I'm assuming that her natural speaking voice is Australian, so it would be one less thing to worry about if she doesn't have to do an accent.

9 hours ago, paulvdb said:

According to IMDB she moved to Australia when she was 2 years old, so based on that it makes sense to make her character Australian. I'm assuming that her natural speaking voice is Australian, so it would be one less thing to worry about if she doesn't have to do an accent.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware that she was raised in Australia. Makes sense now!

• Love 1
On 4/20/2020 at 3:05 PM, BigDfromLA said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware that she was raised in Australia. Makes sense now!

Same here! All this time I didn't know she was Australian!

I really like the show so far. I was so glad to see Vanessa recover so well from that humiliating proposal, then disappointed to see that it looks like the show is going to have her be the stereotypical crazy stalker ex. So we'll get to see her chase Daniel while he falls head over heels for a new woman. 

Edited by TVForever

My only nitpick here is Daniel and Noa's meet-cute in the bathroom; because I kept wondering why no one was mentioning why Noa was in the men's room. If it was supposed to be a unisex bathroom, they should have made that clear.

I've watched the first two episodes, and I like everyone, even Vanessa - who I hope they don't make too pathetic.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

My only nitpick here is Daniel and Noa's meet-cute in the bathroom; because I kept wondering why no one was mentioning why Noa was in the men's room. If it was supposed to be a unisex bathroom, they should have made that clear.

I've watched the first two episodes, and I like everyone, even Vanessa - who I hope they don't make too pathetic.

I finally - out of curiosity - started watching the original version. And in the original version of the bathroom scene, Amos (who is Daniel in this version!) tells Noa she is in the men's room.

Why that line wasn't put in this time, I don't know.

• Useful 2
On 4/14/2020 at 6:46 PM, reggiejax said:

And oh yeah, I am firmly Team Vanessa. By which I mean, I really want her to walk away from all this, because she can do much better than a chump like Daniel. 

She definitely should. If after 4 years he's still unsure, and you've talked about future and all that, it is time to walk away.

I really liked this pilot. I liked that it is set in Miami and not New York, LA, Chicago or Seattle like virtually every other TV show out there. I love the family. It's a fun show. 

• Love 3
On 4/22/2020 at 1:36 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I finally - out of curiosity - started watching the original version. And in the original version of the bathroom scene, Amos (who is Daniel in this version!) tells Noa she is in the men's room.

Why that line wasn't put in this time, I don't know.

I actually was thinking Noa is transgender because I just started the first episode and noticed the restroom scene also, but could not find any supporting evidence online hehe