Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Good Mother

• Start Topic

Air date March 30, 2020

Determined to regain control of her life in the aftermath of Noah’s death, Isobel makes a risky choice despite its potential consequences. Meanwhile, Alex and Michael work together to unravel the mystery surrounding the night Nora’s spaceship crashed in 1947. Elsewhere, Liz makes a surprising confession when Cameron shows up looking for answers about Max.

So we just met Maria's grandpa.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Katesgr811 said:

I have to say that this episode was amazing! Loved every minute of it! Though Jason behr seemed to have a strange accent, but I could have been hearing it incorrectly. So great.

I was amazed how Jason Behr hadn't aged a day. Maybe he really is an alien? 🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Double treat tonight - not only Jason Behr, but the wonderful Gaius Charles in the 1947 world! I can see why Fire Guy created an instantly hostile environment, heh, but to me, Michael's mother looked frightened of him when he put his hand on her shoulder. Also, I guess the show is implying that Max and Isobel are truly siblings (it was known in the books because they shared a pod, and in the show by their mother's message, but to date there hasn't been much to back it up other than they have an unusually strong connection to each other, stronger than either has with Michael).

NGL, I am so relieved that Isobel's home abortion worked. It was nice to see Max in a non-zombified manner in her mind, lol. Also nice to see Cam back and bonding with Liz.

I am SO glad Maria knows the truth now. She has a right to be angry, but I hope she gets more folded into the mix in the future.

I felt bad for Rosa when she was saying she didn't deserve Max healing her. And Liz is guessing she's bipolar, and it would make sense that she would then feel the need to self-medicate. 

• Love 8

Good episode.. Count me among those happy Maria found out the truth.. She deserves to be angry. But I hopeots not her major mode for the forseeable future... I am interested tho... If the other alien is indeed Max and Isobel's mom.. If she ended up shacked up with that black guy and had kids.. Might that be Mariana ancestors... Might tie in why her and her mom seem to have residual powers... Plus her mom always seems to be in all white just like the folks who landed... Would mean Maria max and Isabel are related 

• Love 5

We keep talking about a lack of urgency, a lack of a coherent, clear threat from the government, and that also plays into why I can't so easily justify Maria not being told. In general, the Pod Squad's identity should probably be contained like a virus - the fewer people who know, the better. And up to the roofie incident and Rosa coming back, I still don't know if I feel Liz should have told Maria, at least not without consulting Max, Michael, and/or Isobel. Of course, that is made complicated by the fact that in the two previous Roswell stories, Liz told Maria within a day. However, when you combine Rosa, Noah drugging Maria, and the distinct possibility that Mimi's instability comes from a genuine alien encounter, she has a right to be royally pissed at this point, especially because I'm not sure why they didn't tell her given said lack of urgency. Who was Liz protecting her from, by not telling her?

I am wondering who Trip (Jason Behr) really is and who he's connected to, given that Alex made a point of saying his full name is currently unknown. But speaking of his voice, I had the exact opposite reaction from above - his voice threw me straight back to 1999 as soon as I heard it, lol, and it's weird to reference "Max" in an episode that includes Jason and not be thinking about Jason's character. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

So many guest stars that I recognize! I never saw the original Roswell but know of Jason Behr. I know Gaius Charles, so it looks like he could very well be Maria's grandfather (because I wouldn't be surprised if they also want to connect Maria and her mother to the other aliens). Which means Maria could either be related to Michael, or Max/Isobel. I would bet Max/Isobel, just with how Maria connected a bit with Isobel in the last episode. 

I'm glad Isobel's abortion ended up working. I was really worried about her, there. Plus, it led to a nice conversation with Liz at the end. And we also got confirmation that Max is still kind of alive, even a little bit. This episode had me enjoying Max. I do think Lily Cowles and Nathan Dean work well together.

Cameron returns and her and Liz get to hang out together and chat about Max. That didn't bother me too much. I am glad for Cameron knowing the truth, because she's a good ally. 

So, Maria finally learns the truth and is rightfully pissed off. Good, she should be.

As for who Trip is related to...I mean, he could be related to anyone. But we also have a Manes and a Valenti in the past, so probably not related to Alex or Kyle. 

I do feel bad for Rosa. She is a very interesting character, and she makes for a good addition to the cast. 

• Love 6

So much to unfold. First of all, before s#@t hit the fan, when Maria found out her mom had been found, she prevented Michael from going to the hospital with her, she said she didn´t want her mom to meet Michael...isn´t that weird? Mimi owned the Wild Pony before Maria took over, Michael has lived in Roswell since he was a teen, they don´t know each other? they must have crossed paths at some point, Mimi knew of Isobel... that was a bit weird, but whatever.

Why was Jenna back in Roswell? I thought the story would be she came back once she heard Max went M.I.A., but she didn´t know. I like her and it was nice to see her bond with Liz, but again, did she say why she was back?

So there was a male alien who controlled Michael´s mom and provoked a lot of the hostility the aliens suffered, I mean, he fried sheriff Valenti, who I assume would have been Kyle´s great grandfather, maybe that alien is Michael´s dad, I think he´ll be a featured character in future episodes, now I remember the showrunner saying Nathan did a lot of the work for a character who hadn´t been cast, as in standing in the shadows, and placing his hand on someone´s shoulder, so i guess the male alien in white we see is Nathan, that´s funny. The actress who plays Michael´s mom really conveys a lot of emotion, she´s good, the one who plays Max and Isobel´s mom, I don´t know, maybe it´s the fact they have her screaming as her power, but it felt gimmicky to me, she´s not as strong, although it´s still too soon to know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cristofle said:

We keep talking about a lack of urgency, a lack of a coherent, clear threat from the government, and that also plays into why I can't so easily justify Maria not being told. In general, the Pod Squad's identity should probably be contained like a virus - the fewer people who know, the better. And up to the roofie incident and Rosa coming back, I still don't know if I feel Liz should have told Maria, at least not without consulting Max, Michael, and/or Isobel. Of course, that is made complicated by the fact that in the two previous Roswell stories, Liz told Maria within a day. However, when you combine Rosa, Noah drugging Maria, and the distinct possibility that Mimi's instability comes from a genuine alien encounter, she has a right to be royally pissed at this point, especially because I'm not sure why they didn't tell her given said lack of urgency. Who was Liz protecting her from, by not telling her?

I am wondering who Trip (Jason Behr) really is and who he's connected to, given that Alex made a point of saying his full name is currently unknown. But speaking of his voice, I had the exact opposite reaction from above - his voice threw me straight back to 1999 as soon as I heard it, lol, and it's weird to reference "Max" in an episode that includes Jason and not be thinking about Jason's character. 

Too many people know, but they wouldn´t have any allies had they kept their identity a secret. So it´s a very tricky situation, Maria should have been told when Noah possessed her body, it could have ended badly for her, also, considering her mom´s mental state, she could have very well thought she was going crazy once she started seeing weird stuff happening, like , what happened to Michael´s hand, she knew it had been healed, and now, in season 2, it´s like she never saw it...that was a continuity error that irks me, because there is no mention of it.

I´m also intrigued about who that Tripp character really is, who he is related to, and his role in the story. Because I´m bored, staying home, I went looking and found a quote about Jason Behr´s character, something about his character having deep roots in Roswell, so we´ll see.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

If the other alien is indeed Max and Isobel's mom...with that black guy and had kids.. ... Would mean Maria max and Isabel are related 

Or could Michael and Maria be half siblings? That could be what leads Michael back to Alex, which is a plot arc I'm not crazy about but which would fit with the show runner's claims that Michael and Alex are OTP.

I know! The voice and the face were the same! It so made me wish they had at least cast him as Max again. He could easily play 10 years younger (again!).
Is there any way Trip/JB could be Max and Isobel's father?
I mean, we've seen people hop in and out of these pods like they're sleeping bags (not placentas).

35 minutes ago, Bloga said:

when Maria found out her mom had been found, she prevented Michael from going to the hospital with her, she said she didn´t want her mom to meet Michael...isn´t that weird? Mimi owned the Wild Pony before Maria took over, Michael has lived in Roswell since he was a teen, they don´t know each other? they must have crossed paths at some point, Mimi knew of Isobel... that was a bit weird, but whatever.

Now that you mention it, my guess is that Maria was just being coy as in it's too soon to bring the boyfriend home to meet the parents, not that he really didn't already know her. Although, with Maria's mom's memory issues, there's a little more reality there, even if Maria was kidding with Michael.

3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or could Michael and Maria be half siblings? That could be what leads Michael back to Alex, which is a plot arc I'm not crazy about but which would fit with the show runner's claims that Michael and Alex are OTP.

I know! The voice and the face were the same! It so made me wish they had at least cast him as Max again. He could easily play 10 years younger (again!).
Is there any way Trip/JB could be Max and Isobel's father?
I mean, we've seen people hop in and out of these pods like they're sleeping bags (not placentas).

Now that you mention it, my guess is that Maria was just being coy as in it's too soon to bring the boyfriend home to meet the parents, not that he really didn't already know her. Although, with Maria's mom's memory issues, there's a little more reality there, even if Maria was kidding with Michael.

God I hope Michael and Maria are not that closely related, I mean, I for the life of me will never understand the need to have incest-y attraction be a part of a character´s arc, Shadowhunters anyone?

You´re right, Mimi´s memory or lack thereof is probably the reason why Maria didn´t want him to come along. But now that Maria is in the know, I wonder how they are going to portray Maria´s understandable feelings of betrayal.

• Love 6

I don't think Trip is a Manes, because we saw the Manes character from 1947 and Vintage Valenti spoke to him in the very beginning. But I'm at a loss to think of who else he might be of the human families. 

Also, his comment to his superior about being sorry he didn't bring bodies back does not entirely jive with who we saw in the flashbacks - he didn't want his men to shoot the other mother, he yelled at them not to right before one of them shot her in the chest (by the way, I see that one can apparently channel the Black Canary - interesting that some of them have the ability to do a sonic scream).

Isobel's comment about Max having ongoing nightmares that he was chained to a floor somewhere was interesting - it's presumably a memory of his life before being put in the pod. 

2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Good episode.. Count me among those happy Maria found out the truth.. She deserves to be angry. But I hopeots not her major mode for the forseeable future... I am interested tho... If the other alien is indeed Max and Isobel's mom.. If she ended up shacked up with that black guy and had kids.. Might that be Mariana ancestors... Might tie in why her and her mom seem to have residual powers... Plus her mom always seems to be in all white just like the folks who landed... Would mean Maria max and Isabel are related 

Depends - it might be that the black guy from the cabin was with either Max/Isabel's mom or that he was with Michael's mom - which could mean that Maria is like Michael's niece... or Max/Isabel's niece.

I think Maria's mom might be half-alien.  Question is, is she Michael's sister or Max/Isabel's sister? I think the reason why that house has the underground bunker is partially because a black man during those times would need the ability to go underground in times of racial riots... so he could have built that bunker when he moved in and then it came in handy when protecting the two alien women.  Then it passed to Sheriff Valenti, who held Rosa there and possibly another alien... Liz's mom?

I really do hope Maria turns out to be related to the podsquad.  I hope she's Max/Isabel's relative because that ties her to them all forever.  But I can see the storyline coming from that a mile away - Michael/Maria being like Max/Tess (except Maria is not evil), with Alex being like Liz (which he is NOT).  The ONLY interesting part is Maria potentially being alien.

I really detest how CaM is stealing elements of Max/Liz and handing it over to Michael/Alex.  If Michael/Alex are so great - why did Alex have to be stripped of every character trait that made Alex Alex in the books and on the OG show in order to push them as a couple?  He's unrecognizable. Maria and Michael both feel like their OG and book counterparts. 

Alex?  Kyle?  Not even close.  The show suffers for it too.

And Michael Vlamis might push M/A hard in interviews - but onscreen his chemistry with Maria is just explosive and it dwarfs M/A for me, because M/A always look stilted in their scenes and especially in their love scenes.  So maybe Vlamis needs to work on that then - though I did laugh at his "tortured lust" to "sup, bro" quip at Alex.  That was funny.  But Alex just doesn't have the right kind of energy to play off of Michael at all so it just doesn't really work for me.  

I LOVED seeing JASON BEHR!!!!  Of course all he did was remind me of the magic of OG Max and Liz, but I didn't care, it was SO good seeing him.  He's such an intense actor.  Love him.  MOAR!!!

Isabel's storyline... whew.  Intense.  She still gets on my nerves with her snarkiness - she just looks so damn smug all the time, but I guess that's Isabel.  So the Max she's talking to really is Max then and not a figment of her imagination - because he's the one who tells Rosa about Isobel? Or did he just sense it from the pod and the Max with Isobel was just a construct of her mind?

Love seeing Nathan Parsons getting screentime... but I really need him to be back for real.  CaM keeps saying the show isn't about him - I beg to differ.  It's about Liz AND Max and the show doesn't work without both of them.

The show is clearly getting much better - but let's stop pretending it is based on the books.  It's based on the OG show.  Period, lol.  Just minus the urgency.

The world building went up a notch this episode - the show is better when it focuses on world building the alien stuff, since it refuses to give us any urgency.  I wonder if the Jason Behr character (Tripp?) is alive today?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The only things Carina has pulled from the book are Rosa's existence, Liz being an Ortecho, and Alex's last name of Manes and background as a military brat with a bunch of brothers. Other than that, Carina is clearly much more influenced by the show: the aliens having their own unique powers, the concept of Max as a savior figure, Michael being often angry and self-destructive...

Interesting idea, that Maria could be related to Max and Isobel. We don't know yet what happens to the other alien. Her wound looks close to fatal, but that doesn't mean it is - we just know she was never captured as far as Alex can tell. Maria having alien blood would explain why Isobel had such a bad reaction to trying read her mind, and perhaps Maria's necklace with the pollen is not entirely meant to ward off aliens, but rather to keep Maria's own powers in check. 

I wish Jason were in more episodes - between him and Gaius, and Kayla's strong performance as Nora, 1947 is suddenly my favorite thing the show currently has going on. 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, phoenics said:

JASON BEHR!!!! ...
MOAR!!!

🤣

Love seeing Nathan Parsons getting screentime... but I really need him to be back for real. 

IDK, now that we know that he was real Max communicating with Isabel through their twin bond and not just in her imagination due to the poison, I wouldn't mind that continuing for 1 or 2 more episodes -- at least long enough to have a couple of lines of ghost twin humor.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

.  Is it possible Tripp is a DeLuca? His real name is redacted, but it will eventually be discovered, we know nothing about Maria´s dad, I guess he was white, DeLuca is Italian, so it´s possible Mimi was born a Bronson, and she married that Tripp guy´s son. I am doing the math and it´s been over 70 years since the crash, so Mimi could be Bronson´s granddaughter. Mimi went to school with Manes, so it´s safe to assume they are all in their early 50s, give or take

Edited by Bloga

The only things Carina has pulled from the book are Rosa's existence, Liz being an Ortecho, and Alex's last name of Manes and background as a military brat with a bunch of brothers. Other than that, Carina is clearly much more influenced by the show: the aliens having their own unique powers, the concept of Max as a savior figure, Michael being often angry and self-destructive...

Interesting idea, that Maria could be related to Max and Isobel. We don't know yet what happens to the other alien. Her wound looks close to fatal, but that doesn't mean it is - we just know she was never captured as far as Alex can tell. Maria having alien blood would explain why Isobel had such a bad reaction to trying read her mind, and perhaps Maria's necklace with the pollen is not entirely meant to ward off aliens, but rather to keep Maria's own powers in check. 

I wish Jason were in more episodes - between him and Gaius, and Kayla's strong performance as Nora, 1947 is suddenly my favorite thing the show currently has going on. 

I liked the author take on Liz in regards to her ethnicity, she was Latina, it was just one detail about her, her whole identity didn´t revolve about that fact, I wish it was not necessary to have her be the daughter of undocumented people, I wish it was possible for Liz to be just one of the hundreds of thousands of Americans of Hispanic descent, if not millions, who have been part of the American Southwest population for centuries. Having said that, I understand and respect why they have decided to change her character so that it helps people see the realities so many immigrant families face day after day under the current admin. 

Same goes for Isobel´s story, I wish it wasn´t necessary to talk about reproductive rights, but it is, I just know for a lot of people it will make no difference because they won´t see the parallels between a fictional alien character and actual women. Of course, Isobel´s plight is more sympathetic because she was the victim of abuse, but I understand that, unfortunately, for many people that´s the only way they could support  a woman´s choice of terminating a pregnancy. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, phoenics said:

I really detest how CaM is stealing elements of Max/Liz and handing it over to Michael/Alex.  If Michael/Alex are so great - why did Alex have to be stripped of every character trait that made Alex Alex in the books and on the OG show in order to push them as a couple?  He's unrecognizable. Maria and Michael both feel like their OG and book counterparts. 

I think if TPTB let Carina have Michael and Alex be the leads, she would have them front and center, even more so than now, who cares about the Latina woman. I´ve been reading some interviews, and it seems like Michael and Alex´s story is all she talks about, or maybe it´s what gives them more press, who knows. I wonder if she reads fan forums, who am I kidding, of course she does.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bloga said:

I think if TPTB let Carina have Michael and Alex be the leads, she would have them front and center, even more so than now, who cares about the Latina woman. I´ve been reading some interviews, and it seems like Michael and Alex´s story is all she talks about, or maybe it´s what gives them more press, who knows. I wonder if she reads fan forums, who am I kidding, of course she does.

I agree with you about her.  She'd totally let them take over the show (to its detriment).

I still say Michael/Maria leave Michael/Alex in the dust, for reasons I already mentioned - the most glaring being how wooden a character Alex is now - a shadow of his OG or book self.

I actually found myself wishing he'd been paired with Kyle - at least they banter with one another... I don't know what the antagonistic stuff Alex/Michael do to each other is supposed to be... love?  It's like Carina tried to reinterpret Michael/Maria banter into something for Michael/Alex and added a dose of Max/Liz "cosmic" connection by telling us they were cosmic (never showing us)... but it just pales in comparison to Michael/Maria and Max/Liz for me.  There is a reason those two couple pairings have been so enduring.

But Kyle/Alex?  That would have worked and Alex would have kept part of his personality.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Bloga said:

.  Is it possible Tripp is a DeLuca? His real name is redacted, but it will eventually be discovered, we know nothing about Maria´s dad, I guess he was white, DeLuca is Italian, so it´s possible Mimi was born a Bronson, and she married that Tripp guy´s son. I am doing the math and it´s been over 70 years since the crash, so Mimi could be Bronson´s granddaughter. Mimi went to school with Manes, so it´s safe to assume they are all in their early 50s, give or take

I don't know if Tripp is a DeLuca.  But when I look at the alien mother of Michael and then I look at Mimi DeLuca, I see the same facial structure and mouth... even the eyes are similar, though not in color.

That's why I leaped to the conclusion that Mimi was Michael's mom's daughter with the guy at the cabin... but that's kinda Game of Thrones, so maybe it's the other alien and the guy at the cabin.

To me the only characters Cadly seems invested in are Liz and Michael. I dont think she cares enough about Alex to put him at the forefront. Only if it involves Michael. His purpose this season has been looking into stuff on Michael's mother. 

• Love 1

So finally Maria knows the truth! Thank God, I am so ready for her to be in the know and join the rest of the cast, too often she felt like she was on her own show doing her own thing while the rest of the cast was dealing with alien shit. I dont blame her for being mad, even though I also get why Liz and company didnt tell her. Its not really the kind of thing you want a lot of people to know, even if Maria is certainly trustworthy. 

The 40s flashbacks are sure becoming interesting, especially with Gaius Charles now showing up! I didnt think that this could mean that Maria could be related to Pod Posse, but its a really interesting idea. I really hope he isnt somehow related to Michael though. Even a few generations out...its weird. Also interesting that it looks like the aliens did in fact fire the first shot, or at least that one guy who set the sheriff on fire did. Then the cops were super quick to shoot back, and this all escalated to government sponsored alien torture. Smooth move, fire alien. Not that things might not have gone down the same way, and its super creepy how quickly the soldiers seemed to try and justify the horrible things they did to the aliens based on this one guys one action, but barbecuing the first person you see probably isnt the best way to initiate a first contact situation.

I kind of cracked up at how bad of a liar Alex is, his speech to his dad about how he know totally sees that the aliens were monsters and you were right all along dad sounded so rehearsed and scripted, you imagine Alex writing this all out the night before and practicing the whole speech in a mirror. 

Rosa continues to be an interesting character, its really sad that apparently she had bipolar disorder and was never treated, so she self medicated. I dont really know what lies in store for her. I mean, she has been dead for years, what can she do next? Get a new identity and move to a new place? Hope no one ever finds out who she is? 

Nice moment between Liz and Isobel, with ghost max tagging in as well. Also, I know this show loves to deal with topical issues, and I get why they its an important and good issue and why it was pulled into Isobels story, but her going on a random monologue about the lack of abortion clinics and women's shelters in Roswell felt almost hilariously random. Like they just wanted to get that in there and stuck it in somewhere. 

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, phoenics said:

I don't know if Tripp is a DeLuca.  But when I look at the alien mother of Michael and then I look at Mimi DeLuca, I see the same facial structure and mouth... even the eyes are similar, though not in color.

That's why I leaped to the conclusion that Mimi was Michael's mom's daughter with the guy at the cabin... but that's kinda Game of Thrones, so maybe it's the other alien and the guy at the cabin.

I also thought Mimi could be Michael´s mom´s daughter with Bronson, but that would make Mimi over 70 years old,so it doesn´t add up, Mimi grew up with Jesse Manes, so she is in her early 50s at most. She could, however, be Michael´s mom´s granddaughter

Edited by Bloga
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Rosa continues to be an interesting character, its really sad that apparently she had bipolar disorder and was never treated, so she self medicated. I dont really know what lies in store for her. I mean, she has been dead for years, what can she do next? Get a new identity and move to a new place? Hope no one ever finds out who she is? 

Nice moment between Liz and Isobel, with ghost max tagging in as well. Also, I know this show loves to deal with topical issues, and I get why they its an important and good issue and why it was pulled into Isobels story, but her going on a random monologue about the lack of abortion clinics and women's shelters in Roswell felt almost hilariously random. Like they just wanted to get that in there and stuck it in somewhere. 

I think we´ll definitely see them tackle the issue of mental health and the lack of options people face.

Like you said, this show doesn´t shy away from tackling important current issues, I just wish they were smarter about it, they lack the finesse and subtletly to really get those on the fence to reconsider their positions. Last episode´s interchange between Kyle and that new character about healthcare was so clunky, it made me cringe.

• Love 4

I agree with you about her.  She'd totally let them take over the show (to its detriment).

I still say Michael/Maria leave Michael/Alex in the dust, for reasons I already mentioned - the most glaring being how wooden a character Alex is now - a shadow of his OG or book self.

I actually found myself wishing he'd been paired with Kyle - at least they banter with one another... I don't know what the antagonistic stuff Alex/Michael do to each other is supposed to be... love?  It's like Carina tried to reinterpret Michael/Maria banter into something for Michael/Alex and added a dose of Max/Liz "cosmic" connection by telling us they were cosmic (never showing us)... but it just pales in comparison to Michael/Maria and Max/Liz for me.  There is a reason those two couple pairings have been so enduring.

But Kyle/Alex?  That would have worked and Alex would have kept part of his personality.

You´re so right, I see a lot of chemistry between Kyle and Alex...whether that´s just the actors having more natural chemistry or the way the characters behave, I could see them work, saving Alex´s childhood trauma, he´s quite stable, so is Kyle, so they could have a very healthy relationship 

• Love 5

It definitely is true that teenage Rosa would not have had great healthcare options as the daughter of undocumented immigrants. Bipolar disorder is absolutely treatable, but it's tricky and it requires finding the right balance in medications. 

Re: Rosa getting any kind of identity now, I wonder if any of the aliens have the ability that they did in the books and the show, to change the molecular structure of objects. If so, forging papers would be a breeze, lol. 

31 minutes ago, Bloga said:

I think we´ll definitely see them tackle the issue of mental health and the lack of options people face.

Like you said, this show doesn´t shy away from tackling important current issues, I just wish they were smarter about it, they lack the finesse and subtletly to really get those on the fence to reconsider their positions. Last episode´s interchange between Kyle and that new character about healthcare was so clunky, it made me cringe.

I was in an ER in Georgia talking to my little brother about some medical stuff and I guess our NY/ West Indian accents were evident and this 50ish white guy walks up to us to complain about " Us coastals and our Obamercare (how he pronounced it) " so as clunky ad it may have been some folks really do just blurt it out like that

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 3/31/2020 at 6:52 PM, Bloga said:

You´re so right, I see a lot of chemistry between Kyle and Alex...whether that´s just the actors having more natural chemistry or the way the characters behave, I could see them work, saving Alex´s childhood trauma, he´s quite stable, so is Kyle, so they could have a very healthy relationship 

I really am kind of surprised this show doesn't seem to want to go this way because a former jock bully falling for the effeminate kid he used to bully would be the juicer storyline and a classic slashfiction trope. I'm guessing Michael T. and Tyler are just really good friends in real life?

I was really thinking that Zombie Max and Normal Max weren't the same and Zombie Max was some kind of trick being played on Rosa by Evil Noah's Spirit, but I guess not. Damn, that would have been cool. I guess Max looks normal to Isabella because they have a stronger connection? Either way I'm glad the show went with the abortion. You would have NEVER seen that on 1999 WB.

It was nice seeing Jason Behr again. I used to have this as my computer background when I was 14. LOL.

image.png.dc5247a5a7b011e9d2035e3e2e18e9ef.png

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we just met Maria's great-grandpa. Hi, Maria's great-grandpa!

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Urgh I cant even believe we are talking about Michael/Maria being related. In this very  episode they were just joking to each other with sex puns, we know they also already hooked up plenty. I really dont want that incest stuff here. its the kind of thing a show would do though if they really want to kill a ship, kill one of them or make them related.  

I would love it, if Roy Bronson is Maria's grandfather/ancestor. Just dont know where that he got with either of the two alien women is coming from. He rescued them, and what will happen after that?, will likely be revealed in the next episodes. Hope Maria's family and Michael's family are just connected through history of encounters but not related. Same with Max/Isobel's family, for all we know, the two alien women are sisters/cousins. 

Anyway, Maria had every right to lash out at Liz and Michael, the break of trust is deep. She was affected through Rosa, Mimi, Noah, all the while they were withholding crucial information that affected Maria's life on so many levels. 

I guess Max looks normal to Isabella because they have a stronger connection? 

Did this episode just confirm they are alien twins? Isobel said that. 

I'm guessing Michael T. and Tyler are just really good friends in real life?

Dont know about them but Michael Vlamis [Michael] and Tyler [Alex] look like really good friends from their instagram activity. Which surprises me that their onscreem chemistry seem to be so lacking . But then again they wouldnt be the first actors to be close IRL  and that not translating to screen. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CabotCove said:

would love it, if Roy Bronson is Maria's grandfather/ancestor. Just dont know where that he got with either of the two alien women is coming from. He rescued them, and what will happen after that?, will likely be revealed in the next episodes.

I agree and it feels like the series is pointed that way.. Just based on the limited interactions of Maria/Isobel... If I had to guess Gains Charles' character helps both women... Obviously a black dude with two blondes in 1947 is gonna be cautious so he helps them get better.. Maybe even start to assimilate in some ways. ( wasn't he in the picture with Mike's mom on the microfiche)  falls in love with the one who he helps nurse back to health... Little nightingale scenario... She falls pregnant... While  helping out mike's mom is recognized and snatched... The couple thanks to anti-miscegenation laws go even deeper underground... And whatever kid/kids they have are maria's grandparent... Already wary thanks to being mixed race in the 50's-60's and being half alien keeps to self eventually has kid (Mimic) but doesn't give away too much of history so wraps up all possible alien like issues as psychic/spiritual stuff.. Mimic carries it on and passes it to Maria

• Love 1

Geesh now that I think about it... A Mixed-Race/Mixed-species kid growing up and becoming a YA right when were going to the moon... Knowing their half -siblings( possibly cousins.. If mike's mom and Max& Izzy's moms are sisters) are out there maybe being tested on by the same govt that makes you sit on the back of the bus... Hell that would be an interesting show to watch... 

4 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I agree and it feels like the series is pointed that way.. Just based on the limited interactions of Maria/Isobel... If I had to guess Gains Charles' character helps both women... Obviously a black dude with two blondes in 1947 is gonna be cautious so he helps them get better.. Maybe even start to assimilate in some ways. ( wasn't he in the picture with Mike's mom on the microfiche)  falls in love with the one who he helps nurse back to health... Little nightingale scenario... She falls pregnant... While  helping out mike's mom is recognized and snatched... The couple thanks to anti-miscegenation laws go even deeper underground... And whatever kid/kids they have are maria's grandparent... Already wary thanks to being mixed race in the 50's-60's and being half alien keeps to self eventually has kid (Mimic) but doesn't give away too much of history so wraps up all possible alien like issues as psychic/spiritual stuff.. Mimic carries it on and passes it to Maria

From that newspaper picture it seems they weren´t careful enough at a time when an interracial relationship was illegal in most states. Being together, whether it was romantic or not, would have brought a lot of unwanted attention, so no wonder Michael´s mom got caught. 

The one thing I remember about Mimi is that she's young. Maria said - I think during the trip to Texas - that "she was going to lose all her memories by the time she was 50" meaning she was in her late 40s as of last season. Not sure what that means in terms of potential connections to Gaius Charles and/or the aliens, but if one of them is related to Mimi and Maria, I'd bet it's not Nora since she was locked up in 1948 until she died. 

I'm sad about Nora's whole fate, incidentally. She crashed on this planet, she seemingly was frightened and intimidated by at least some of the other aliens, she promptly gets shot and threatened by soldiers, her friend gets shot, she finds her way to Gaius Charles, and within a year she gets separated from her son who is in some sort of pod, and put in a facility and experimented on where she remains for the next 70 years until she ultimately dies in an explosion. She doesn't seem to mean anybody any harm and her whole story is just sad.

• Love 7

Am I the only one who noticed that both Alien women look a hell of a lot like Cameron? So much so I actually thought it was her for a second and was like woah. I think the whole spiel about Roswell feeling like home was a hint and Cameron was actually seeking out Max and her ancestors. I think Cameron might actually be the new Tess. Of course it could just be the casting director has a type but Cameron has always seemed to be hiding something.

Also when Michael asked what kind of monster Tripp was I was like the kind that fought in WW2. Not to excuse anything but WW2 vets had plenty of reasons to be fucked up. He could have been interned by the Japanese or been part of the march to Berlin (which was just brutally awful some of the "soldiers" Germany sent out were actually Hitler Youth and weren't even 12 years old). Its entirely possible Michael's mother isn't the first mother Tripp had taken aim at. It's still something of a taboo showing WW2 vets as anything but noble stoic warriors it would be interesting if the show portrayed Tripp as someone who was broken and struggling after the war. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

Am I the only one who noticed that both Alien women look a hell of a lot like Cameron? So much so I actually thought it was her for a second and was like woah. I think the whole spiel about Roswell feeling like home was a hint and Cameron was actually seeking out Max and her ancestors. I think Cameron might actually be the new Tess. Of course it could just be the casting director has a type but Cameron has always seemed to be hiding something.

Also when Michael asked what kind of monster Tripp was I was like the kind that fought in WW2. Not to excuse anything but WW2 vets had plenty of reasons to be fucked up. He could have been interned by the Japanese or been part of the march to Berlin (which was just brutally awful some of the "soldiers" Germany sent out were actually Hitler Youth and weren't even 12 years old). Its entirely possible Michael's mother isn't the first mother Tripp had taken aim at. It's still something of a taboo showing WW2 vets as anything but noble stoic warriors it would be interesting if the show portrayed Tripp as someone who was broken and struggling after the war. 

Why is Jenna back? I wondered why she was back, since she didn´t know Max  was "missing". I know the idea in season 1 was for Jenna to become an antagonist, but they liked the character so they made her an ally. I don´t think she´s going to turn on the Pod Squad and co. but there ´s more to Cameron than what they are letting us see at the moment. I don´t know if it´s coincidence that all these alien women are blonde sort of Nordic types, so maybe that´s why Jenna looks like she could be an alien. There are brown aliens too, so, I don´t know.

There was no regard for soldiers´ mental state back in the 40s, there´s barely any regard nowadays, so Tripp might not be this evil monster, maybe he´s truly traumatized by what he saw during the war and we´ll get to see that aspect develop in future episodes. He recognized the aliens as dying mothers trying to protect their children, and he didn´t want to shoot them.

Edited by Bloga
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, phoenics said:

I really wish they would have done this instead. They have much more chem than Alex/Michael imo and yea their personalities would just work better together imo.

17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I get why they its an important and good issue and why it was pulled into Isobels story, but her going on a random monologue about the lack of abortion clinics and women's shelters in Roswell felt almost hilariously random. Like they just wanted to get that in there and stuck it in somewhere. 

Yea, it was so bad. I loled. The show is just really bad at doing this yet they are super determined to do it. It's part of the charm for me honestly.

Seeing Jason Behr (who I actually didn't realize was Jason Behr at first, which I have no idea why since he looks exactly the same!) and Gaius Charles made me so happy. I hope we see more of both of them and just the whole '40s crew. I'm very intrigued.

I really hope Michael and Maria aren't related. Please don't go there, show! Honestly, I don't even really care if they get together/are endgame or not, I just don't want them to be related lol.

Was the alien woman that isn't Michael's mom someone? She looked familiar. I feel like she was on America's Next Top Model or something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Emily Thrace said:

I agree that Cameron looks a lot like Isobel and basically all the other blonde women on this show. My out there theory is that Cameron will get killed at some point because she's mistaken for Isobel. 

But maybe Trip is related to Cameron. That's another thought that I had. 

Also, I forgot to say how much I loathe the Sheriff, Kyle's mother I believe. Man, is she absolutely irritating. She comes off way too strong when talking to people. I understand that she's doing her job, but whenever she's talked to someone, she sounds so angry.

• Love 2

I feel like Sheriff Valenti hasn't been used properly. She is neither an open antagonist nor an ally to the Pod Squad, so she's just sort of...there. Jesse Manes has filled the spot of Valenti in the books of an antagonist, and there isn't yet a show equivalent of what Valenti became (an ally and sort of father figure to Max in particular). Carina needs to decide what role she wants the sheriff to play, because as it stands, it's not a useful one on either side of the spectrum.

Although I did laugh at her horrified look at Isobel's box of sex toys. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I thought the sheriff was Kyle's aunt.. Hell we may need a chart to properly explain all family/ platonic/ sexual relationships on this show and how they criss-cross

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Was the alien woman that isn't Michael's mom someone? She looked familiar. I feel like she was on America's Next Top Model or something.

She used to be on Vampire Diaries. She got attacked by Damon in the pilot episode I think and Stefan couldn't properly compel her to keep quiet because he wasn't strong enough.

She got her start acting on The Bold & The Beautiful I think.  I forgot who she played there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

I thought the sheriff was Kyle's aunt.. Hell we may need a chart to properly explain all family/ platonic/ sexual relationships on this show and how they criss-cross

I had to look it up, but the Sheriff is actually Kyle's mother. I vaguely remember a scene where Kyle had to go confront her about his father last season. But otherwise, she's still fairly forgettable because I thought for a while this week that she was some new character we'd never seen before. 

4 hours ago, Cristofle said:

The one thing I remember about Mimi is that she's young. Maria said - I think during the trip to Texas - that "she was going to lose all her memories by the time she was 50" meaning she was in her late 40s as of last season. Not sure what that means in terms of potential connections to Gaius Charles and/or the aliens, but if one of them is related to Mimi and Maria, I'd bet it's not Nora since she was locked up in 1948 until she died. 

This is a fair point...but she can't be THAT young since Maria is still in her late 20s.

That's why I'm guessing that it's Nora's friend who is related to Maria, not Nora. That way, it connects Maria to Max/Isobel, making it clear as to why Isobel had a difficult time getting into Maria's head, and still eliminates the incest factor (although, this show WOULD go there because it's had the worst lessons about consent and creepy relationships) and, since they cast one of Carina's close friends (she's close with Stephen Amell, who is married to Cassandra Jean Amell, who plays the other alien...whose name I just found out is Louise? According to the Internet?), she's obviously playing a bigger role than just getting shot and healing at Gaius Charles' character's home. 

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The other woman playing, probably, Max/Isobel's mom was on America's Next Top Model. She was the woman early on in the series that cried over a haircut and quit the show.

Michael's mom played Vicky on The Vampire Diaries, Kayla Ewell. 

• Love 1

If Mimi is 49 and Maria is 28, then she would've been 21 when she had Maria, which is young but not extremely young. Maria has to be more Liz's age than Rosa's, since she was studying for a calculus test the night Rosa died and Rosa had already graduated. Still, that would make it more likely that if Mimi is part alien, it is Nora's friend and maybe Max and Isobel's mother instead of Nora who had a romantic relationship with Gaius' character.

And we still don't know who went off to the Native American reservation and healed people, the one who said "He has arrived, so I may leave" around the time the Pod Squad...er, hatched. 

I do like that the show is indicating, both with Michael seemingly knowing what his mother had looked like younger and with Max's childhood nightmares this episode, that the Pod Squad were born outside of the pods and had some sort of lives, and were put in the pods as children possibly for transport instead of gestating inside of them. Because it's unique to this show, so I can honestly say I'm not sure where they're going with it. 

• Love 4

Max's childhood nightmares this episode,

Oh.. I kinda took that to mean max on some level was connecting to the Aliens in prison or somewhere else 

5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Seeing Jason Behr (who I actually didn't realize was Jason Behr at first, which I have no idea why since he looks exactly the same!)

Because of the hat, it even took me a half a moment, and my screen name dates to Nasedo. 😉

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That way, it connects Maria to Max/Isobel, making it clear as to why Isobel had a difficult time getting into Maria's head,

I thought the reason Isobel couldn't get into Maria's head was because of the necklace Maria was given by her mother with the flower in it that produces the yellow pollen that takes away alien powers temporarily?

2 hours ago, Cristofle said:

If Mimi is 49 and Maria is 28, then she would've been 21 when she had Maria, which is young but not extremely young. Maria has to be more Liz's age than Rosa's, since she was studying for a calculus test the night Rosa died and Rosa had already graduated. Still, that would make it more likely that if Mimi is part alien, it is Nora's friend and maybe Max and Isobel's mother instead of Nora who had a romantic relationship with Gaius' character.

And we still don't know who went off to the Native American reservation and healed people, the one who said "He has arrived, so I may leave" around the time the Pod Squad...er, hatched. 

I do like that the show is indicating, both with Michael seemingly knowing what his mother had looked like younger and with Max's childhood nightmares this episode, that the Pod Squad were born outside of the pods and had some sort of lives, and were put in the pods as children possibly for transport instead of gestating inside of them. Because it's unique to this show, so I can honestly say I'm not sure where they're going with it. 

Is Nora Michael's mom?

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, phoenics said:

thought the reason Isobel couldn't get into Maria's head was because of the necklace Maria was given by her mother with the flower in it that produces the yellow pollen that takes away alien powers temporarily?

If that's the case I think it ties in to what I was saying upthread.. That.. If Gaius Charles' character and the other alien( presumably Max/Izzy mom) had a kid.. It would have had to be extra careful.. For it was doubly exposed.. Alien and mixed race.. So maybe to avoid awkwardness or just an abundance of caution.. Alien type things got discussed as spiritualness.. Kinda the way the slaves of brasil diaguised fight training as dance and it became capoeira... So alien know how gets passed down from max/izzy half sibling... To mimi... To Maria.. At least that's my headcanon until the show lays it out... 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, phoenics said:

I thought the reason Isobel couldn't get into Maria's head was because of the necklace Maria was given by her mother with the flower in it that produces the yellow pollen that takes away alien powers temporarily?

Is Nora Michael's mom?

Yes, Nora is Michael's mom; she's one of the only ones who had a name on file in Alex's records because she was captured a year after the crash.

It's possible Max was connecting to the aliens; I hadn't thought of that. I wonder why he was the only one if so though, because Michael genuinely appeared to have no awareness of them until he got right outside the building. Of course, the show is kind of inconsistent on that front. Michael was able to feel when something was wrong with Isobel the night Rosa died, but had no idea when she had Kyle inject her with the serum; Max was the only one who felt that.

• Love 1

Glad y’all said it first. I actually couldn’t tell Isobel and Cam apart during the first episodes or so in season one.

Anyhoo, I think the notion that Maria may have alien ancestry is interesting. It might figure into why her mother is having memory issues in that perhaps alien gifts aren’t as compatible in a mostly human body, particularly when that gift isn’t tempered with the flower, for instance. I like the idea that another poster mentioned about alienness being referred to as psychic ability, something humans can easily dismiss, as a way to hide in plain sight. 

When I saw that end scene, I also thought that the man at the cabin (and his descendants) could have been gifted with extrasensory powers as a reward for helping the aliens. Perhaps Mimi receives a tune up or communing with the aliens from time to time because of this. 

I agree that it was time Maria found out. I kind of wish Michael had been able to say what he’d been planning on saying anyhow. I wonder just how much he would have revealed. I loved the angsty slap, push, and pull away of the moment. Great choices in acting, I thought. Maria is hurt, angry, shocked, and upset and a major source of what could have been a comfort for her, a shaken Michael struggling to hold on to her here, is also an accomplice to the crime. The impact of the camera’s cutting away was effective, but I wanted to see more of that scene. 

• Love 6