Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Good Mother

• Start Topic

The scene between Michael and Maria should have been longer. I can understand why Liz got a lot of her wrath since she and Liz have been a lot closer for a lot longer, but still, Michael IS the alien of the two of them, lol. Liz was technically keeping the secrets of others (although I can see Maria really flipping out if she ever learns how long Kyle has known). There should have been more of a back and forth between Michael and Maria; the scene ended too abruptly. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

The scene between Michael and Maria should have been longer. I can understand why Liz got a lot of her wrath since she and Liz have been a lot closer for a lot longer, but still, Michael IS the alien of the two of them, lol. Liz was technically keeping the secrets of others (although I can see Maria really flipping out if she ever learns how long Kyle has known). There should have been more of a back and forth between Michael and Maria; the scene ended too abruptly. 

It´s possible the scene was longer, they have to cut a lot of scenes, the episodes are not that long, so they have to edit stuff out, that´s the reason why they went with Maria completely freaking out and screaming, because they have to show vs tell, telling takes longer and they just don´t have the time to do so. 

• Love 1

There probably was more because the scene felt really choppy and abrupt, but as much as I like Cameron and Liz being friends, Maria confronting Michael over being an alien is not what I would have chosen to cut in the episode, lol. One of those bonding scenes could have been at least 30 seconds shorter if it gave 30 more seconds for Maria to actually fully react to the man she's been dating and has known most of her life being an alien, and for Michael to speak to what she's saying.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The other woman playing, probably, Max/Isobel's mom was on America's Next Top Model. She was the woman early on in the series that cried over a haircut and quit the show.

Thank you! I knew she was from Top Model! I didn't know she was now an actor. And apparently married to the Arrow guy lol.

I also agree with everyone that Isobel and Cameron look very similar and, now, Michael's mom and the other woman alien look similar to each other as well. It's hard to tell if this stuff is done on purpose or not since the showrunner seems to just like hiring her friends lol.

1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

And apparently married to the Arrow guy lol.

THAT is why she looks so familiar to me! She's Stephen's wife! I don't watch Top Model or have the slightest clue who has ever been on the show, so nothing was hitting home as to why I knew I'd seen her before. Kayla was more immediately familiar from The OC and also watching the first couple seasons of TVD; I think I've only seen Cassandra from Stephen and other Arrow cast members' photos. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

Thank you! I knew she was from Top Model! I didn't know she was now an actor. And apparently married to the Arrow guy lol.

I also agree with everyone that Isobel and Cameron look very similar and, now, Michael's mom and the other woman alien look similar to each other as well. It's hard to tell if this stuff is done on purpose or not since the showrunner seems to just like hiring her friends lol.

I don´t watch any other CW shows, but it seems like this show´s casting people only hire actors the network already knows? Is that the M.O. for all CW shows, they cast the same people over and over again?

• Love 1

Do we *knpw* that the other blonde is Max/Isobel's mother.  And how do we know Max/Isobel are twins?  Because Canon?  It's not like anyone every ran a DNA test on them.

A good episode, but as been pointed out, the sense of urgency is missing.  I wonder if we will ever find out what Michael had to say to Maria the whole "be upset but I have to tell you something" but.

Can Max come back to life after being Mostly Dead?  Please?  

Unspoiledd Spec:  If Isobel is technically Maria's great aunt or something, there can be a lot of comedy gold to mine there.  Especially given how snarky they are to each other.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Bloga said:

I don´t watch any other CW shows, but it seems like this show´s casting people only hire actors the network already knows? Is that the M.O. for all CW shows, they cast the same people over and over again?

Pretty much, honestly. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stephen Amell himself popped up at some point, because he and Carina are close. Carina also clearly feels comfortable hiring actors she worked with on The Originals, as well as older TVD alums (Paul Wesley has also directed at least one episode). And she's not alone in that, to be fair - all show runners re-use actors they like. But the CW is particularly prone to using a lot of the same actors from show to show.

Do we *knpw* that the other blonde is Max/Isobel's mother.  And how do we know Max/Isobel are twins?  Because Canon?  It's not like anyone every ran a DNA test on them.

No, we don't know. I do think the show was fairly clear she's at least one of their mothers, due to her instinctive reaction to anyone getting near the pods and Tripp's comment about mothers protecting their children. But unlike in the books, Max and Isobel did not share a pod (Max and Isobel also looked very much alike in the books; Max has never looked in either show like he was described in the books), so we don't know for sure they are biological siblings. I think it's possible to likely, given how they apparently refused to be separated as children and given that their connection appears to be more powerful than Isobel and Michael's (ex: Max's zombie ass noticed Isobel was dying in this episode and Michael's perfectly alive ass had no clue, lol) but the show has never confirmed thus far they are biologically related. 

Edited by Cristofle
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Ok, so it pays to be friends with CM, but isn´t pretty much every industry like that? it´s all about who you know, people hire their friends, that kind of thing is universal. I am not familiar with any of the actors on Roswell, but it has to be trippy for people who follow all the shows to keep seeing the same actors over and over, specially if it´s a bunch of them on the same show.

What if that Tripp guy is an Evans? It would be wild, let me tell you. At first I thought he could be a DeLuca, then I thought maybe he´s a Cameron, either way, he´s going to be related to someone, that´s my guess

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Dizzychickstar said:

Glad y’all said it first. I actually couldn’t tell Isobel and Cam apart during the first episodes or so in season one.

Anyhoo, I think the notion that Maria may have alien ancestry is interesting. It might figure into why her mother is having memory issues in that perhaps alien gifts aren’t as compatible in a mostly human body, particularly when that gift isn’t tempered with the flower, for instance. I like the idea that another poster mentioned about alienness being referred to as psychic ability, something humans can easily dismiss, as a way to hide in plain sight. 

When I saw that end scene, I also thought that the man at the cabin (and his descendants) could have been gifted with extrasensory powers as a reward for helping the aliens. Perhaps Mimi receives a tune up or communing with the aliens from time to time because of this. 

I agree that it was time Maria found out. I kind of wish Michael had been able to say what he’d been planning on saying anyhow. I wonder just how much he would have revealed. I loved the angsty slap, push, and pull away of the moment. Great choices in acting, I thought. Maria is hurt, angry, shocked, and upset and a major source of what could have been a comfort for her, a shaken Michael struggling to hold on to her here, is also an accomplice to the crime. The impact of the camera’s cutting away was effective, but I wanted to see more of that scene. 

I felt the same way about that scene - I wanted to see Michael tell her who and what he is... it's not fair we didn't get to see her reaction.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bloga said:

What if that Tripp guy is an Evans? It would be wild, let me tell you. At first I thought he could be a DeLuca, then I thought maybe he´s a Cameron, either way, he´s going to be related to someone, that´s my guess

That would be something, lol... 

It really is good to see Jason Behr onscreen again... whatever he did with his agent that got him blackballed (complained) seems so petty and mean to destroy his whole career over that... I feel robbed I never got to see him in stuff after the fact.

Give him and Shiri a show please.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, phoenics said:

It really is good to see Jason Behr onscreen again... whatever he did with his agent that got him blackballed (complained) seems so petty and mean to destroy his whole career over that... I feel robbed I never got to see him in stuff after the fact.

Showbusiness sounds so fickle, I don´t know much about Jason Behr, but this whole blackballing actors thing seems pretty common, did you mean he complained about something and that got him blacklisted or that he complained about being blacklisted?

You know what would be something?  What if Tripp is really a nickname for Truman?

He somehow got involved with Michael´s mom, then she got caught and he never recovered from that. I mean, she´s the only alien listed with a name, Nora Truman, and the black farmer´s name is Bronson, I have so many theories lol

• Love 1
5 hours ago, phoenics said:

Right?! Jason is actually really talented; I first encountered him on a show called Sherman Oaks where he was playing this upper class white kid who thought he was black, and he was HILARIOUS. Going from that to Max - he has incredible range. (I maintain that in the OG show, Jason as Nasedo was more terrifying than the actor who played his base form). And as we saw with Shiri, he is capable of generating incredible sexual chemistry, lol. It's such a bummer that he got blackballed; I wish so much I could see him in more stuff. I am hyper-attached to Max Evans as a character across the Roswell universe mostly because I became so attached to Jason's portrayal of him. 

That IS a good idea; to make Tripp an Evans. I didn't even think of that, lol. We have yet to meet Max and Isobel's adopted father; there was only that one moment where Max asked his mother how things were going with her and his dad, and she said everything was fine but was obviously lying (in the same episode, Isobel asked Max to call their mother when she thought she was dying, but said nothing about their father, which I thought was interesting). Max was close with both his parents in the book, but was obviously much closer to his mother in the OG show, and Carina is clearly more influenced by the show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Right?! Jason is actually really talented; I first encountered him on a show called Sherman Oaks where he was playing this upper class white kid who thought he was black, and he was HILARIOUS. Going from that to Max - he has incredible range. (I maintain that in the OG show, Jason as Nasedo was more terrifying than the actor who played his base form). And as we saw with Shiri, he is capable of generating incredible sexual chemistry, lol. It's such a bummer that he got blackballed; I wish so much I could see him in more stuff. I am hyper-attached to Max Evans as a character across the Roswell universe mostly because I became so attached to Jason's portrayal of him. 

That IS a good idea; to make Tripp an Evans. I didn't even think of that, lol. We have yet to meet Max and Isobel's adopted father; there was only that one moment where Max asked his mother how things were going with her and his dad, and she said everything was fine but was obviously lying (in the same episode, Isobel asked Max to call their mother when she thought she was dying, but said nothing about their father, which I thought was interesting). Max was close with both his parents in the book, but was obviously much closer to his mother in the OG show, and Carina is clearly more influenced by the show.

You would think now that Kevin Spacey has been outed that blackball stuff would cease to exist since rumor has it Jason's problems started after he did that movie with him.

(edited)

I remember reading years ago that the entire cast were persona non grata with The WB and did not get a great reputation on account of the idiot/awful stuff they all got up to on set, causing chaos and meaning loads of retakes wasting time and money. This was from more than one source although take with the usual handful of salt. Because he had been on the still in use WB/CW "track" before then with roles in DC etc before getting a lead. Of course KH got a role in Greys but it took the others a while to have any significant roles after the show. That could also be because they were coming off a middling show on a "teen" network and there's so many actors in competition for good (or any) roles. 

Showrunners often cast people they've already worked with or know personally in roles partly because they like working with them, to give them a leg up and (hopefully) because they know they can be relied on to put in a decent performance. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh, the tales of the OG Roswell cast are infamous, lol. I'm so relieved this cast seems to get along - Nathan is frequently on Jeanine's IG and they seem to hang out a lot offset. Vlamis and Tyler also seem tight. 

Edited by Cristofle
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

I remember reading years ago that the entire cast were persona non grata with The WB and did not get a great reputation on account of the idiot/awful stuff they all got up to on set, causing chaos and meaning loads of retakes wasting time and money. This was from more than one source although take with the usual handful of salt. Because he had been on the still in use WB/CW "track" before then with roles in DC etc before getting a lead. Of course KH got a role in Greys but it took the others a while to have any significant roles after the show. That could also be because they were coming off a middling show on a "teen" network and there's so many actors in competition for good (or any) roles. 

Showrunners often cast people they've already worked with or know personally in roles partly because they like working with them, to give them a leg up and (hopefully) because they know they can be relied on to put in a decent performance. 

Unless you´re an academy award winner or A-list, actors are replaceable, that´s the reality, I think nowadays wit social media and everybody walking around with a camera in their hand, actors are of two minds: they either put it all out there, or they are extremely guarded. At the end of the day, a tv show is a business, and if the talent is problematic, TPTB will make sure it´s known, unless the talent is so profitable that they will do anything in their power to accommodate them.

2 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Of all the cast, Nathan seems to be the enigma.  Makes me curious.

With everything that is going on in the real world, this damn show is becoming one of highlights of the week.  I hope it doesn't fall back to re-runs any time soon.

I think they have 9 episodes in the can, as in completely finished. Carina said on twitter the VFX and sound people were working on the remaining 4 from their homes, so they will make sure they are finished by the time they need to air...she also said the show might have to go on a hiatus, non-Corona virus related, but because the networks are probably scrambling and shuffling things around to make sure they don´t run out of content. But she took those tweets down, so maybe she spoke too soon and the network told her to shush it. 

I think Nathan is one of those rare actors that doesn´t really like attention, I mean, they do exist lol

On 4/2/2020 at 4:46 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

A good episode, but as been pointed out, the sense of urgency is missing.  I wonder if we will ever find out what Michael had to say to Maria the whole "be upset but I have to tell you something" but.

Can Max come back to life after being Mostly Dead?  Please?  

Unspoiledd Spec:  If Isobel is technically Maria's great aunt or something, there can be a lot of comedy gold to mine there.  Especially given how snarky they are to each other.

Ugh, I think they are really going to go there and have Maria be related to Michael, hence, they can´t be together. What´s with tv shows and incestuous attraction? I really don´t get it, there is nothing cool about it.

I think the other blonde alien is Max and Isobel´s mom, she has to be the woman who lived on the reservation, so she escaped. If she was the one who had a child with the black farmer, I guess she would have tried to take the child with her, although that might have been dangerous...so it´s still possible she could be the one Maria´s related to, but I´m pretty sure it´s going to be Michael´s Maria´s uncle or great uncle or something, depending on when Mimi was born...someone told me they thought Mimi was half alien, was born in 1948 and put in a pod for a couple of decades...that could be plausible.

(edited)

I like the idea of Maria being part alien via her great grandmother.  It would be a nice way to tie in her mother's seeming mix of psychic ability and alien focused dementia in a way that is not just lazy local psychic woo-woo without mythology.  And really, this show has enough on its hand establishing the Alien mythology without adding one for suped humans. 

That said, I will be LIVID if Maria and Michael are related and that is the reason the can't be together.   I liked Michael and Alex at first (though I agree that Tyler Blackburn is wooden in the sex scenes, that is just him... he has good chemistry up until he kisses someone).  But what Michael said last week about the way Alex has jerked him around is right.  They are toxic.  It's all angst and hurting each other. And as many times as Alex has crushed Michael (and himself), they have just become sad to me. Not that Michael is perfect, by any stretch.  I just feel like Michael allowed himself to be more vulnerable and Alex kept bailing.  I don't know that I want to see Alex rewarded with Michael even if he grows.   Let Alex find someone else to love.

The only thing worse than that toxic mess presented as OTP, would be it being an OTP possibly by default.  Not Michael choosing Alex because Alex is the one he truly loves, but choosing Alex after Maria is made impossible for him. Even worse, it would likely come with stupid tortured angst for Michael and Maria. Blech. 

Side note:  Even if Michael's mother was Maria's great-grandmother (couldn't be grandmother unless Mimi was suddenly supposed to be almost 70) that would make Michael her half-great uncle... It's not good, but its about as closely related as cousin, once removed.  

Edited by RachelKM
9 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

I like the idea of Maria being part alien via her great grandmother.  It would be a nice way to tie in her mother's seeming mix of psychic ability and alien focused dementia in a way that is not just lazy local psychic woo-woo without mythology.  And really, this show has enough on its hand establishing the Alien mythology without adding one for suped humans. 

That said, I will be LIVID if Maria and Michael are related and that is the reason the can't be together.   I liked Michael and Alex at first (though I agree that Tyler Blackwood is wooden in the sex scenes, that is just him... he has good chemistry up until he kisses someone).  But what Michael said last week about the way Alex has jerked him around is right.  They are toxic.  It's all angst and hurting each other. And as many times as Alex has crushed Michael (and himself), they have just become sad to me. Not that Michael is perfect, by any stretch.  I just feel like Michael allowed himself to be more vulnerable and Alex kept bailing.  I don't know that I want to see Alex rewarded with Michael even if he grows.   Let Alex find someone else to love.

The only thing worse than that toxic mess presented as OTP, would be it being an OTP possibly by default.  Not Michael choosing Alex because Alex is the one he truly loves, but choosing Alex after Maria is made impossible for him. Even worse, it would likely come with stupid tortured angst for Michael and Maria. Blech. 

Side note:  Even if Michael's mother was Maria's great-grandmother (couldn't be grandmother unless Mimi was suddenly supposed to be almost 70) that would make Michael her half-great uncle... It's not good, but its about as closely related as cousin, once removed.  

Somebody had a really interesting theory about Mimi being put in a pod as a baby, then staying in a pod for a couple of decades, I think that would be the only way she´s half alien, if not that then Mimi could be only like 1/4 alien, it would be mathematically impossible for her to be Michael´s half sister, unless she was in stasis inside a pod for a long time, not as long as Michael, Max, and Isobel, but 20 years or so. Mimi grew up in Roswell, she knew Jesse Manes and Jim Valenti growing up, so they are all about the same age, she and Jesse Manes are in their late 40s now. I´m afraid they are going to go for the whole Maria and Michael are related, so yucky, they are out of the question. The damage is done already, sort of speak, as they´ve been sleeping together. That´s a really unfair thing to do to Maria, what the hell, showrunner lady.

This Tripp character is really intriguing, my prediction is he´ll be terribly conflicted about the whole alien situation and what happens to them will leave him scarred for life. He has deep ties to Roswell, so he´s going to be a DeLuca, an Evans, or maybe a Long, related to Wyatt, maybe? Shudder. 

Was Michael´s mom named after President Truman? Nora Truman, she had to be.

5 hours ago, Featherhat said:

I remember reading years ago that the entire cast were persona non grata with The WB and did not get a great reputation on account of the idiot/awful stuff they all got up to on set, causing chaos and meaning loads of retakes wasting time and money.

4 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Oh, the tales of the OG Roswell cast are infamous, lol. 

Wow, I didn't know, or maybe just don't remember, any of this. What kind of shit did they do?! I guess this is all pretty off-topic. I need to go see if there's a thread for the original Roswell lol.

I don't know the creators and showrunners the way some of y'all seem to... But if we've all kinda agreed that it seems like Maria is some part alien... Which I gathered from some of the crumbs  TPTB left out... Y'all are really saying they still put Maria and Michael together knowing full well shes his family? 

8 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I don't know the creators and showrunners the way some of y'all seem to... But if we've all kinda agreed that it seems like Maria is some part alien... Which I gathered from some of the crumbs  TPTB left out... Y'all are really saying they still put Maria and Michael together knowing full well shes his family? 

I believe so, it´s one of those writer-favorite plot twists, I have seen it happen on so many shows I lost count. I came across this plot twist ideas list online, just look at the first idea on the list:

Plot Twist Generator: 10 Plot Twist Ideas + Examples

Two Characters are Secretly Related.

The Hero is Secretly the Villain.

A Fake-Ally is Secretly the Villain.

Multiple Personality Disorder.

It Was All Just a Dream or an Illusion.

Character was Actually Dead All Along.

Character Never Actually Died.

Fake or Virtual Reality World.

Need I say more? From Game of Thrones, to Shadowhunters, True Blood, and so many more shows use incest to various degrees to either advance the plot or to justify why two characters can´t be together. It´s really disturbing, incest is not a thing that should be taken lightly.

• Useful 1

I assume that the African American person in this episode is Maria's grandpa, and I assumed that one of the ET women is her grandma. 
However, it would be much more interesting if Maria and the pod squad also reach that conclusion, but then it turns out Maria was adopted and is 100% Earthling. I think that reveal could let the writers explore cultural and ancestral effect, assumptions, identities, and prejudices through a unique lens.

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I assume that the African American person in this episode is Maria's grandpa, and I assumed that one of the ET women is her grandma. 
However, it would be much more interesting if Maria and the pod squad also reach that conclusion, but then it turns out Maria was adopted and is 100% Earthling. I think that reveal could let the writers explore cultural and ancestral effect, assumptions, identities, and prejudices through a unique lens.

That´s interesting, but then Maria´s intuitiveness couldn´t really be explained...she felt something when Isobel was at the women´s circle and was telling Maria it was hard for her to set herself free, so if she´s adopted, how come she´s inherited her mom´s psychic abilities?

I´m also of the opinion Maria´s related to the aliens, but the ages don´t add up, Maria´s mom is way too young to have been born in 1948, so unless some sci-fi shenanigans took place and she was in a pod for many years, Mimi can´t be half alien, she could, however, be the granddaughter of one of the alien women, if we only pay attention to her age, she´s not even 50 years old, Maria mentioned that once. 

One thing that makes me doubt a little bit about the alient connection is the fact Maria wears the necklace with that flower in it, and her mom always tells her it´s for protection. That was the flower that produced the yellow powder that weakened the aliens.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bloga said:

One thing that makes me doubt a little bit about the alient connection is the fact Maria wears the necklace with that flower in it, and her mom always tells her it´s for protection. That was the flower that produced the yellow powder that weakened the aliens.

Doesn't the powder only suppress their powers?  I don't recall any other effects experienced by Max or Michael when they were in the bunker.  If it just suppresses powers, it could have been given to Mimi by her mother (who received it from her own mother) to help control her abilities and the meaning got muddled with each generation.

• Useful 2
10 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

Doesn't the powder only suppress their powers?  I don't recall any other effects experienced by Max or Michael when they were in the bunker.  If it just suppresses powers, it could have been given to Mimi by her mother (who received it from her own mother) to help control her abilities and the meaning got muddled with each generation.

But Maria has worn the necklace while using her "gift" so if she was alien or part alien, wouldn't the necklace keep her from doing that?

When I watched the episode, I didn't jump to the conclusion that Bronson had any romantic connection with either Nora or Louise.  I saw him as someone who may have forged a friendship with them and helped and protected them.  Which means he would obviously be important for the aliens and come to be a trusted ally to them.  I still do think he's Maria's great-grandfather or grandfather (depending on how the timeline fits) and that Maria is more connected to the aliens than any of them realize because of him.  But that's me giving this show more credit than it deserves and it wouldn't surprise me if Carina wanted some weird incest-y trope because her writing and taste is garbage.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, ellieart said:

But Maria has worn the necklace while using her "gift" so if she was alien or part alien, wouldn't the necklace keep her from doing that?

Have we ever seen the powder take effect without coming in direct contact?  Maybe enclosed as a pendant it is less effective.  Or maybe it was supposed to be a "break in case of emergency."  I don't know.  I'm just typing out all of my thoughts without filter. 

1 hour ago, Bloga said:
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That´s interesting, but then Maria´s intuitiveness couldn´t really be explained...she felt something when Isobel was at the women´s circle and was telling Maria it was hard for her to set herself free, so if she´s adopted, how come she´s inherited her mom´s psychic abilities?

That’s what I mean about it being more interesting. It could turn out, for example, that Maria had an aunt who had the Scottish “second sight” and that Maria’s “powers” are not what make her or do not make her alien. That could be a way for the show to sort of talk about stereotypes. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

That’s what I mean about it being more interesting. It could turn out, for example, that Maria had an aunt who had the Scottish “second sight” and that Maria’s “powers” are not what make her or do not make her alien. That could be a way for the show to sort of talk about stereotypes. 

As I indicated in my earlier post, I'm ver leery of adding in a separate mythology beyond the alien mythology.  That is a lot of world building and a lot to juggle.  Plus, I'm not sure how it counters stereotypes to have Maria inherit her gift from a human folklore, even if it's white ethnicity folklore. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RachelKM said:

I think the powder also made Michael pass out, if I remember correctly, when he came to he realized his powers were not working. 

Mimi always says the necklace is to protect Maria from all evil. She also told Alex in season one that when people touch things not of this world, I am paraphrasing, those things leave a negative trace or something like that. So she could sense Alex had come in contact with an alien artifact. That´s the thing that makes me doubt a bit about her and Maria being part alien, her notion of anything alien related being inherently evil. But it wouldn´t be the first time some confusing dialogue is introduced so that the audience doesn´t figure it out right away, what´s the fun in that, right?

Let's also remember that when Nora came out the ship... The hoodie Alien who went all firestarter... Could be even tho they crashed together they weren't all that close a bit of a " all skinfolk ain't kinfolk" situation and if there are less than amiable alien folks out there it's probably good to let ur part alien descendants have some protection... Even if you have to hide it as warding off "evil" when it really is some kind of last measure against violent aliens 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Let's also remember that when Nora came out the ship... The hoodie Alien who went all firestarter... Could be even tho they crashed together they weren't all that close a bit of a " all skinfolk ain't kinfolk" situation and if there are less than amiable alien folks out there it's probably good to let ur part alien descendants have some protection... Even if you have to hide it as warding off "evil" when it really is some kind of last measure against violent aliens 

So when Maria was possessed by Noah, was she wearing the necklace? Wouldn´t Noah notice she was part alien? I was all convinced she would be alien, but I keep remembering details from last season that have me doubt it a bit.

1 hour ago, Bloga said:

So when Maria was possessed by Noah, was she wearing the necklace? Wouldn´t Noah notice she was part alien? I was all convinced she would be alien, but I keep remembering details from last season that have me doubt it a bit.

Could be that's a plothole.. Or they'll have a decent explanation.... 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bloga said:

So when Maria was possessed by Noah, was she wearing the necklace?

I just actually grabbed my iPad and checked - she was not. He roofied her at the party and she was not wearing her necklace, presumably because it didn't go with her dress, heh. 

Hard to say if Noah immediately knew when he possessed someone if they were in any part alien. Even if he knew, I doubt he would have said anything about it. He WAS using Ranchero Night to get his victims, largely because of opportunity but maybe he was staying close to the Wild Pony (which incidentally, has been around for AWHILE because Tripp mentioned it) for other reasons. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, peace355 said:

While my first thought was that possibly Bronson is ancestor of Maria, I then thought of the new potential alien Kyle met last episode, maybe she's the distant relative.

I think that woman/possible alien Kyle met is going to be an antagonist...I think she´ll try to get close to Kyle to get information on the aliens and try something...I think she was the woman in the blond wig whom Alex saw right before his dad had a seizure...so definitely someone is trying to keep Manes at bay, but not necessarily because they want to help the Pod squad

(edited)
On 4/2/2020 at 10:48 PM, Bloga said:

Showbusiness sounds so fickle, I don´t know much about Jason Behr, but this whole blackballing actors thing seems pretty common, did you mean he complained about something and that got him blacklisted or that he complained about being blacklisted?

He got blacklisted for firing his manager (who sued for breach of contract).  I forget all the details, but the manager was well connected and that led to the blackballing of him.  It's a real shame - we lost 20 years of JB goodness because of that.  

Edited by phoenics
On 4/3/2020 at 10:14 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Noah was clearly at odds with Max, et al - he considered himself of another class.  I definitely think there were different factions of aliens... 

This is the part of the show I'm really interested in - the alien mythology parts.  It's just too bad Carina messed up my fave two couples (Max/Liz and M/M).

I just realized that's another reason this show doesn't feel quite right or like Roswell... I don't dislike Rosa - but she upsets the balance.  I still don't feel like Maria/Liz are besties - the show claimed it was Rosa/Maria who were the besties - but I don't think they will show us that either.

But Maria/Liz was the girlmance that kept OG Roswell afloat when stuff felt like it was gonna be a hot mess - but on this show, we don't get NEARLY enough Maria/Liz.  Honestly in S2 and S3 of OG Roswell when everything was falling apart narratively, the one thing the show got right was Maria and Liz.

That's another reason this show feels so off.  Liz seems like besties with the aliens in a way she never was in the books and on the show, but she's SO disconnected from her human friends.  It's just off.  Rosa being back makes it even MORE off.

In the promo pics for the show, Liz and Rosa are front and center too, which makes it seem like this imbalance is gonna go on for a long time.  Maria is still pushed too far in the back.

• Love 2

Am I wrong or did Noah say someone sabotaged the ship and that's why it crashed?  I think the flamethrower guy was one of the Bad Guys.

I wonder if we will get the whole "Michael and Isobel were engaged" plot line from the original show.  

I agree that Rosa upsets the balance.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Am I wrong or did Noah say someone sabotaged the ship and that's why it crashed?  I think the flamethrower guy was one of the Bad Guys.

Wasn't this in the books too?

(edited)
7 hours ago, phoenics said:

I just realized that's another reason this show doesn't feel quite right or like Roswell... I don't dislike Rosa - but she upsets the balance.  I still don't feel like Maria/Liz are besties - the show claimed it was Rosa/Maria who were the besties - but I don't think they will show us that either.

I'm hopeful this can be resolved.  We're really just into the start of Rosa on the show.  It is difficult that she's a late entry. But who knows?

I agree, though, that it was a mistake to make it Maria and Rosa that were close.  First, it makes very little sense considering Maria is apparently Liz's age and they were in same grade.  Why would Maria be closer with her classmate's older sister than her actual classmate with whom she was also friends?

Secondly, now that they are nearly 10 years apart in age and experience, Maria and Rosa are unlikely to make an easy reunion of it.  So it's hard to see how a strong female core will come from that relationship. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, phoenics said:

Noah was clearly at odds with Max, et al - he considered himself of another class.  I definitely think there were different factions of aliens... 

This is the part of the show I'm really interested in - the alien mythology parts.  It's just too bad Carina messed up my fave two couples (Max/Liz and M/M).

But Maria/Liz was the girlmance that kept OG Roswell afloat when stuff felt like it was gonna be a hot mess - but on this show, we don't get NEARLY enough Maria/Liz.  Honestly in S2 and S3 of OG Roswell when everything was falling apart narratively, the one thing the show got right was Maria and Liz.

That's another reason this show feels so off.  Liz seems like besties with the aliens in a way she never was in the books and on the show, but she's SO disconnected from her human friends.  It's just off.  Rosa being back makes it even MORE off.

In the promo pics for the show, Liz and Rosa are front and center too, which makes it seem like this imbalance is gonna go on for a long time.  Maria is still pushed too far in the back.

The friendship doesn't feel authentic...also, would it be that hard to imply Maria and Liz were in touch all those years Liz was gone? Instead of having Liz cut everyone off for 10 years, some dialogue could have alluded to the fact that they kept in touch. By having them be estranged for all intents and purposes, reconnecting would be hard anyways, but the writers have done very little to feel the connection is there.

Michael's mom seems to have a bigger part than Max's and Isobel's, will that change or is that part of the whole let's make Michael and Alex the leads narrative? I wonder who the alien firestarter will turn out to be.

• Love 2

Liz and Maria were everything when OG Roswell was on the air! They are the standard to which I judge female friendships in media. The only reservation I ever had about their friendship is how third wheel-ish it made Alex sometimes.

Yeah, Liz is friendly, but not a friend to her human pals. I think she could leave leave town and not miss them. That's why I felt zero satisfaction when Maria called her out. Because to me their friendship is about as deep as a puddle, which made Liz's betrayal equally as shallow.

I agree Rosa being around changes the historical chemistry between the characters, but I think her presence adds some much needed warmth to Liz's character.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, steelyis said:

Liz and Maria were everything when OG Roswell was on the air! They are the standard to which I judge female friendships in media. The only reservation I ever had about their friendship is how third wheel-ish it made Alex sometimes.

Yeah, Liz is friendly, but not a friend to her human pals. I think she could leave leave town and not miss them. That's why I felt zero satisfaction when Maria called her out. Because to me their friendship is about as deep as a puddle, which made Liz's betrayal equally as shallow.

I agree Rosa being around changes the historical chemistry between the characters, but I think her presence adds some much needed warmth to Liz's character.

I mean, that´s exactly what Liz did, she left town and cut off  contact with everybody, her alleged two best friends...did she even see her dad during those years whe was away? That´s a big mistake, it would have been really easy for the writers to  have Maria say, I don´t know, thank God for facebook that´s how we´ve kept in touch, or I wish Liz called more often, or maybe have Maria mention she visited Liz in Denver. I mean, Isobel knew about Liz´s fiancé just by looking online, but Maria didn´t know and  had to be told by Liz after she was back in town.

Edited by Bloga
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Wasn't this in the books too?

Yes, it's one thing the show does have in common with the books plot-wise. Both this show and the books say that the ship was crashed by a stowaway (although in the books, the ship is full of scientists and in this case, they appear to be refugees of whatever war their home planet is waging).

It's disappointing that Liz and Maria's friendship feels so shallow in this version. The actresses are doing a fine job with each other, but the writing is just not there. In flashbacks and discussions of their high school years, it kind of seems like Maria was closer to Rosa. Liz appears to be genuinely attached to her father, her sister, and Max, and literally everyone else of the main cast she's mostly cool with, but could pretty much take or leave at any time. 

• Love 3