Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E09: Hawaii Showcase and Final Judgment (1)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

The Top 40 contestants go to Hawaii to soak up the sun and sing to impress the judges in a concert on the beach before awaiting their Final Judgement for a spot in the coveted Top 20.

(Note: Final Judgment Part 2 will not air Monday March 30; in its place we will get a Celebrity Family Feud featuring Kelly Clarkson.)

Ah, a cliffhanger. 

But yes, appropriate song choice to end with for the night. 

Just Sam was fantastic. Damn. Loved her whole look, too. Her grandma seems like such a lovely woman and I'm so glad Sam's got her in her life. 

• Love 12

Jonny is good, glad he made it.  Surprised the redheaded girl who had the baby didn't go through.  That was not a good song to showcase her voice, but I thought they'd put her through anyway.  She has a lovely voice.

• Love 7

I have vacationed in the Ko Olina area so was looking forward to this episode.  Because my sleep patterns have gone to hell, I fell asleep and only awakened when I heard what seemed to be an angel signing "Times They Are A-Changing."  For a moment I was disoriented and thought Dylan had died.

Wow.  That young man was incredible.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

I'm happy about a lot of these decisions, BUT ----

That performance of "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Khan?  One of my all time favourite songs?  That was sooooo bad.

1 hour ago, SnarkAttack said:

Jonny is good, glad he made it.  Surprised the redheaded girl who had the baby didn't go through.  That was not a good song to showcase her voice, but I thought they'd put her through anyway.  She has a lovely voice.

I'm sorry, she seems like a nice person, but I hated her song choice :(. 

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm happy about a lot of these decisions, BUT ----

That performance of "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Khan?  One of my all time favourite songs?  That was sooooo bad.

I'm sorry, she seems like a nice person, but I hated her song choice :(. 

I wonder if they didn’t put her through because of all the emotions she must be going through.    I wish she would have applied a year from now.  Good luck to her.  Wish her well.

• Love 3

Amber was just adequate if this was karaoke and I'm glad they didn't put her through. But they also should have dropped the British guy whose performance was not good instead of giving him another chance.

Sam really knocked it out of the park, now if she could only get rid of that incredibly distracting neck tat.

• Love 5
On 3/28/2020 at 12:34 PM, MarkHB said:

(Note: Final Judgment Part 2 will not air Monday March 30; in its place we will get a Celebrity Family Feud featuring Kelly Clarkson.)

A talk show. Wayfair commercials. Now this. Why suddenly is Kelly so extra popular?

• Love 2

I was happy with everyone they put through except the girl from Louisiana. I have no recollection of her from previous episodes and her performance in Hawaii was not good at all. That was a head scratcher. 

• Love 3

I don't get Faith, she seems cruise ship to me; also that satin outfit was atrocious on her.

Louis wasn't comfortable in the sunny, noisy outdoor venue he did his performance in. His wishy washy blondness and light voice kind of disappeared in that setting. Jonny is a stronger singer (and picked a better song), but getting a night time spot, dressing more grungy and singing a more passionate song made him stand out, imo.

Dewayne performing so close to the beginning of the show didn't do him any favors, I keep forgetting about him, and he was actually very good on Old Town Road.

Sam was amazing, and if it wasn't for those tattoos, I'd be speculating that she's a ringer. I would swear she's had professional voice training. Not sure how she's going to keep up that standard during the gap (before they're able to return to live filming). 

• Love 5

I loved Just Sam. She looked beautiful, I loved her hair and the tattoo doesn't bother me. I can't remember the names of any of the others, most of them I kept doing something else while they were on. I did like the Old Town Road fellow. LOL that the one guy is so important that he's a cliffhanger. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

LOL that anyone who's been paying attention even thinks there's any doubt he's getting into the Top 5 20.

I know, right? That would be the best cliffhanger ever if next episode he gets sent home and he goes crazy and attacks the judges.

• LOL 2

I was scratching my head over Nick Merico making it in right off the bat. I thought his performance was weak. I guess because he has the right look, they are overlooking his average singing skills. I almost liked him better when he was kind of cocky, before Lionel  put him in his place. Maybe Lionel didn't do him any favors, shaking his confidence like that.

• Love 5

A couple of my favorites made it, and some people I didn't care for didn't, so I'm mostly okay with the choices so far.

BUT why they kept the woman from Louisiana with all the affectations and not particularly pleasant voice and sent Amber home will forever be a mystery to me.  Totally wrong decision both times.

And I don't get putting Johnny in the Top 20; his performance was nothing special.

I will say, however, that Sunday was the first time I say much in Francisco's performance, so he can stay for the time being.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:03 PM, Annber03 said:

Just Sam was fantastic. Damn. Loved her whole look, too.

I wasn't sold on her after the last round, but damn did she deliver.  That was completely unexpected and absolute wonderful.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:27 PM, susannot said:

I have vacationed in the Ko Olina area so was looking forward to this episode.  Because my sleep patterns have gone to hell, I fell asleep and only awakened when I heard what seemed to be an angel signing "Times They Are A-Changing."  For a moment I was disoriented and thought Dylan had died.

Wow.  That young man was incredible.

I can't remember who that was, but yes, it was fantastic.  Was that Dillon?

• Love 1

My favorite was the kid who sang Old Town Road. I think it was an unexpected choice and his performance was great. Ditto Just Sam. She looked really pretty too.

I've been a fan of the British kid but that was bad. It was so predictable for him to do Ed Sheeran - it just sounded like mediocre karaoke. Still, I like him and there was no way they were sending him home.

I felt like for the most part they sent home the correct people and advance the right ones. Only wrong one so far to me is the girl in the satin crop top and skirt. I think she's awful.

Apologies for not knowing anyone's name yet. I just can't get invested, especially since who knows if there will ever be a live round?

• Love 2

Jonny has the best tone out of the whole lot, I just wish he sang with more confidence sometimes. He sounds tentative at times and he should not be because he's a fantastic voice. 

Just Sam sounds professional. So does Amber, a mystery why they let her go. She's so talented. Dillon has a cool voice too, but I'm with Katy on that performance. 

The rest are karaoke singers. 

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 8:18 AM, waving feather said:

Dillon has a cool voice too, but I'm with Katy on that performance. 

What, the performance of The Times They Are A Changing?  That was fantastic, the best of the entire night.

• Love 2