Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Awakening / S01.E10: Austin, We Have a Problem

• Start Topic

On 3/10/2020 at 8:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

Speaking of dental states, Lindsay Fonseca in no way looks like she’s been living in a tent under a freeway for 3 years.

Wait...the physical consequences of three years living on the streets AREN'T limited to a few strategic dirt smudges????

I feel like Hollywood has been lying to me for years.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, eyesopen said:

I was irritated by the parents that seem to be making more children just to have a girl.  Children are very expensive and child bearing hard and risky on a woman’s body so to keep getting pregnant to have a girl isn’t…a good reason to have many children.  But hey, it’s your (fictional) woman’s body, your income, your (fictional character’s) decision to bring many children into the world.  Further on this story, if I struck out twice already having a girl I wouldn't have tried for a 3rd time.

There was no indication they were *trying* to get pregnant, or that it was a deliberate pregnancy.  People get pregnant without intending to all the time.  I read it more as since they already had the three holy terrors, now that they were pregnant again, they wanted a girl.  The boys looked old enough *at least 7 or 8 to 10 years old) that it wasn't a case of a baby a year, or anything close.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, eyesopen said:

I cried during the astronaut story.  Best emotional story out of the all the emergency situations

I agree. In my search to figure out why that story was more emotionally effective than most on these series, I noticed that the episodes have various directors, and that this one’s director, Bradley Bueckner, had more Emmy and other award nominations than most (imdb.com/name/nm1267896/?ref_=tt_ov_dr#director) and that they were awards as part of a group —so a director who consistently gets good results out of those he directs? 
Or @eyesopen and I just happened to be moved by the same scenario?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Ailianna said:

There was no indication they were *trying* to get pregnant, or that it was a deliberate pregnancy.  People get pregnant without intending to all the time.  I read it more as since they already had the three holy terrors, now that they were pregnant again, they wanted a girl.  The boys looked old enough *at least 7 or 8 to 10 years old) that it wasn't a case of a baby a year, or anything close.  

Underlined sentence - That is a plausible explanation.  I can be less irritated by them then.

I heard a story back in the day that Maria Shriver had several children so that she could have a girl.  It happens the other way too.  Having several children to get a boy.  Thanks Ailanna.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, eyesopen said:

Underlined sentence - That is a plausible explanation.  I can be less irritated by them then.

I heard a story back in the day that Maria Shriver had several children so that she could have a girl.  It happens the other way too.  Having several children to get a boy.  Thanks Ailanna.

Maria has 4 kids. The oldest two are girls. 

• Love 2
On 3/10/2020 at 2:23 PM, icemiser69 said:

If the writers had devoted less time to TK and more time to the neglected characters I think that would have improved the show immensely.

I agree with this and I would also add that it would an improvement to develop Michelle's character without the dopey missing sister plotline. She has no chemistry with any other characters due to this story and that is pretty important in establishing characters during a show's first season.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, juno said:

it would an improvement to develop Michelle's character without the dopey missing sister plotline. She has no chemistry with any other characters due to this story

IMO, Michelle has no chemistry with any other characters due to the crummy acting of the person portraying Michelle. Liv Tyler is dreck and dead weight on this show.

• Love 4
On 3/10/2020 at 4:42 PM, Raja said:

Are the ratings that bad? As it stands shows with lots of wacky rescue stunts being able to split a TV season between crews nominally in LA and Austin if that is where both are actually filmed seems to be a good business model by providing cheaper fresh product

They film the bulk of the show in LA. They only film exterior and drone shots in Austin and a handful of shots of the firetruck crossing the South Congress Bridge. That's something they can send a second unit to do. The cast isn't in Austin.

• Useful 1
On 3/12/2020 at 12:28 PM, eyesopen said:

Further on this story, if I struck out twice already having a girl I wouldn't have tried for a 3rd time.

When I read a poster noting the actor name Barry Corbin, I had a jolt of recognition.  Northern Exposure.  He was very good in that show when I watched it.  (Yes, I'm not...young)  Glad he had work after that show.

I once worked with a guy  who had 4 daughters. I think he finally just gave up trying.

I guess I'm not the only one here old enough to remember Maurice Minnifield. Anyone else remember that he was a retired astronaut?

• Love 4

I'm finally caught up and wonder if anyone else started singing Space Oddity when they introduced Tom the astronaut?

It was an awful scene for Grace but I kept wondering if someone would need to claim the bodies or if they were in a decaying orbit (costing millions in equipment).  

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, torqy said:

Anyone else remember that he was a retired astronaut?

Yep! One of the more outrageous episodes was when they had him lend out his old spacesuit to a local to wear around town. I loved Northern Exposure, despite its folly.

• Love 4
On 3/16/2020 at 10:58 PM, torqy said:

I once worked with a guy  who had 4 daughters. I think he finally just gave up trying.

I guess I'm not the only one here old enough to remember Maurice Minnifield. Anyone else remember that he was a retired astronaut?

When Maurice popped up in my awareness because of this episode, I wiki'ed Northern Exposure and it noted that Maurice was a "multi-millionaire businessman, retired fighter pilot and celebrated former astronaut". 

That's a pretty amazing career life.  I'm trying to guess what came first, the pilot career or the astronaut career.  I guess the astronaut?  He must have gotten some lucrative speaking engagements out of it, which he bankrolled into millions of dollars.  Nice.  Not quite made up for Maurice the character being a real d- at times.  (An entertaining one if you only have to see him on tv)

Edited by eyesopen
fixed grammar, added another sentence
  • Useful 1

I am the youngest in a large family of girls.  By the end my parents said they kinda hoped they wouldn’t have a boy because growing up with that many older sisters might have been a nightmare for him.  I now have a medium size family of boys.  🤷‍♀️

My almost 90 year old mom has the medical alert pendent and swears the three times she has fallen are the only three times she wasn’t wearing it to push the button for help.  🤦‍♀️  At least now she uses her walker.

I finally had to bail on the show, but would be in for a Judd/Grace spin-off.  

I have only watched the first part so far but I am Wonder one thing. When Judd mentioned that am LA firefighter got a piece of rebar through his head and survived, is that something that happened on regular 911? I also wonder who his buddy who told him about it is?

34 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I have only watched the first part so far but I am Wonder one thing. When Judd mentioned that am LA firefighter got a piece of rebar through his head and survived, is that something that happened on regular 911? I also wonder who his buddy who told him about it is?

Yes it happened to a main cast member on the mothership. For a profession which studies the experiences of other services worldwide the buddy could have been anyone 

On 3/9/2020 at 10:00 PM, ShortyMac said:

We all knew that Owen wasn't going to die in that plane. They're not going to kill off the main character. 

This is Rob Lowe though so you never really know when he might decide to walk.

20 hours ago, Raja said:

Yes it happened to a main cast member on the mothership. For a profession which studies the experiences of other services worldwide the buddy could have been anyone 

Interesting, I only started watching regular 911 late last season. It is crazy that this is the finale and that is the closest thing we got to any kind of a crossover. In the latest 911 episode I saw it was Eddie's backstory. He was from Texas and they didn't even bother to work in a reference to Austin FD. Hell during the 1st season of Chicago PD i think I lost count of how many times Chicago Fire characters showed up or were mentioned.

• Love 1
On 4/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

In the latest 911 episode I saw it was Eddie's backstory. He was from Texas and they didn't even bother to work in a reference to Austin FD. Hell during the 1st season of Chicago PD i think I lost count of how many times Chicago Fire characters showed up or were mentioned.

That actually makes sense. Eddie is from El Paso, not Austin

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/3/2020 at 10:42 PM, anna0852 said:

That actually makes sense. Eddie is from El Paso, not Austin

Yea but he said how in his flashback episode that he had job offers from LA and Chicago. A mention of a job offer from Austin would have been an easy way to make a reference. 

I’m in the minority since I like Michelle and think Liv Tyler is a great actress ! The story arc with Michelle and her Sister is one of my favorite to watch !

I also enjoy the Owen  story and find Rob Lowe very good in this role !! 

My favorite couple is Grace and Judd !

1 minute ago, CountryCrazy said:

I’m in the minority since I like Michelle and think Liv Tyler is a great actress ! The story arc with Michelle and her Sister is one of my favorite to watch !

I also enjoy the Owen  story and find Rob Lowe very good in this role !! 

My favorite couple is Grace and Judd !

Wanted to add love the addition of Buttercup 😎😃

• Love 1