Type keyword(s) to search

The Awards Thread: The Golden Throne

• Start Topic

On 7/14/2016 at 4:07 PM, Happy Harpy said:

*twirls* Emmy Nominee Maisie Williams * twirls*

<snip>

Actually, GoT, should get its own acting categories. And everyone should get it because every actor is imo perfectly cast and at the top of their game. At the very least, I feel that Peter, Kit, Lena and Emilia should contend in the lead category.

Well they did win for casting today in the pre-primetime Emmys where they award the behind the scenes stuff.

21 hours ago, TxanGoddess said:

Well they did win for casting today in the pre-primetime Emmys where they award the behind the scenes stuff.

Yep, and I'm particularly happy about it because 1) the people in charge of the casting are a huge part of why the show is so successful imo and 2) I have the feeling that every actor on the show (nominated, snubbed, main, recurring, guest, and even dayplayer) was a little bit rewarded, too.

Scratching my head re: cinematography loss though. Because I can't think of better. But maybe it's some technical stuff I don't get.

• Love 3

Well, the new voting system instituted last year makes voters lazier than ever. Many probably only watch like one contender and just vote for it, when in theory they're supposed to watch all the nominees in any category they vote for.

It's how HBO was able to go from 3 major wins one year (across Comedy/Drama/Longform) to 14 the next. 

I for one am pretty okay with Dinklage winning every award he can lay his hands on. In an ideal world he'd be one of Hollywood's top leading men, with all the financial and career opportunities that implies - but unless the world gets an awful lot more open-minded about what is considered beautiful and desirable in a person's looks, his height is always going to prevent people from seeing him that way. So if winning any award is going to lead him at least part ways down that path, I'm all for it. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, jjjmoss said:

Well, the new voting system instituted last year makes voters lazier than ever. Many probably only watch like one contender and just vote for it, when in theory they're supposed to watch all the nominees in any category they vote for.

They lost Cinematography to The Man in the High Castle, though.  I'd expect that people voting on the basis of not having seen the whole field would favour GOT, it anything.

I was a little perplexed about the Cinematography loss.  While I enjoyed The Man in the High Castle, admiring its cinematography never entered my mind.  Black & white has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity so maybe that was an influence.

• Love 1

I'm rooting for Lena Headey.  Cersei has always been a tour de force, but after literally being stripped of everything at the end of season 5, she basically found a way to rise above it and become a supervillain.  She's a consistently fantastic actress and she really deserves the award this year.

I'm perplexed by the continual awards love for Emilia Clarke.  I think she's actually a fairly terrible actress, her performance is always the same.  Stoic and resolute.  I would be happy for Maisie Williams if she won, but I would have a hard time accepting that she is better than Lena Headey.

Too bad the music wasn't eligible for the awards.  The music completely made the season finale as powerful as it was.  I'm obsessed with "Light of the Seven" and "Hear Me Roar" and "The Winds of Winter".  First time in 6 seasons I have gotten the soundtrack.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 2

Not every single person in every single field is lazy. I mean, even Titanic managed to lose makeup and get snubbed for writing. 

But I find it doubtful that the quality of GoT just coincidentally flew up for those voting for Series, Writing, Directing, Casting, Picture Editing, and Stunt Coordination after years without wins in any of them.

Edited by jjjmoss
1 hour ago, jjjmoss said:

But I find it doubtful that the quality of GoT just coincidentally flew up for those voting for Series, Writing, Directing, Casting, Picture Editing, and Stunt Coordination after years without wins in any of them.

Well, as far the topline awards go, the attrition of GOT's rivals is also an important consideration.  It previously lost Best Drama to Mad Men (out of Emmy favour, and now gone), Homeland (shadow of its former self), and Breaking Bad (gone).

Veep also won Writing, Series, and Casting for the first time after the rule change last year. 

In fact, here's an analysis of non-incumbent Series winners, by their increase in wins from previous year (not counting Series):

Game of Thrones +7

Veep +3

Breaking Bad +1, 24 +1, Raymond +1, Friends +1

Office +0, Sopranos +0, Sex and the City +0

Hmm, 7 and 3 are each notably bigger than 1 (or 0). Going through Comedy history, that's the biggest jump ever for any first-time winner. I assume that's true for Drama too.

Edited by jjjmoss

The ladies have been spotted on the Emmy's red carpet. Emilia (in a skin-colored gown) and Sophie (in a lingerie-style black Valentino) look okay (not bad but I have notes about both), but I don't know WTF Maisie is wearing. This is one of her biggest moments and seriously WTF IS SHE WEARING? Which is such a shame because she looked cute at the BAFTAs the other night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsrFceOWIAEK9zx.jpg:large

And Kit Harington has a very classic look, black tuxedo.

Okay, can I say how pissed off I am that ABC has been promoting this as something you can watch free online?  Then you get there and you need a motherfucking cable provider login code! 

I'm trying to meditate right now, open my third eye, do mindful breathing and all of that shit.  But this really torqued me off to be all bright and shiny and ready to watch and then get that shit because I don't have cable.  I don't even have a TV.  Why would people with cable want to stream online "for free" any fucking way? 

Happier this go around that it won Best Drama, compared to last year.  And Miguel winning best director was well-deserved and would have been the only one that would have pissed me off if he lost.

A little surprised the cast got shut-out, even Dinklage.  Not sure if voter splitting was going on, or in the supporting actress' case, a lot of voters wanted to give Maggie Smith another Emmy, since Downton Abbey is done. 

8 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

A little surprised the cast got shut-out, even Dinklage.  Not sure if voter splitting was going on, or in the supporting actress' case, a lot of voters wanted to give Maggie Smith another Emmy, since Downton Abbey is done. 

They changed the voting system for this year, getting rid of ranked voting, which disadvantages shows with multiple nominees in a category -- notice how Veep lost every comedy category in which it had multiple nominees, and won most of the ones with one nominee.  Now, this isn't an automatic kiss of death (People vs. O.J. won a couple of awards where it had three nominees), but it's a disadvantage.

• Love 2

I'm actually not surprised the actors were shut out. There wasn't one acting performance this season where I thought "GIVE THAT PERSON AN EMMY." The stars of the season were really the effects and the directing. 

3 hours ago, TxanGoddess said:

She's worn worse.  Look up her appearance on Seth Meyers if you didn't see it already.  She has this collar that is made to look like hands circling her neck, but not even in a cool Goth way ... more like a dorky fingerpainting way.

I looked up those pics and the outfit is not as bad as her Emmy look. Other than the weird collar it's actually cute. With her Emmys look, the dress might be okay on its own, but combine it with that horrid hairstyle (what's up with the BANGS?) and the makeup and just no. A girl does not need that much green eyeshadow! She's a tiny girl and the whole look just overwhelms her. 

• Love 2

Really disappointed that Lena Headey didn't win.  She is fantastic as Cersei Lannister, and was especially good this season.

As for supporting actor, I've never thought that Kit Harrington was a good actor.  He's like a blank slate, and really, he got a lot of attention simply because his character died and came back to life and then foolishly Leroy Jenkinsed into a battle.  There wasn't anything about his acting that was great, it was all the script.  I don't think anything Peter Dinklage did this season was all that Emmy worthy either.  I think the media was praising his speech just before the "Hand of the Queen" announcement, but I thought it was just OK.

I really enjoyed "The Battle of the Bastards" and was happy it won for directing and writing.  But I also wish "The Winds of Winter" had gotten more recognition.  That episode was way more powerful to me, especially with the music.

I only realized post-Emmys that this was likely LH's last shot for this show, as s7 won't be eligible for next year's awards (right?) and I really doubt Cersei will still be around in s8. That makes this loss worse than last year's.

12 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

I only realized post-Emmys that this was likely LH's last shot for this show, as s7 won't be eligible for next year's awards (right?) and I really doubt Cersei will still be around in s8. That makes this loss worse than last year's.

Season 7 will be eligible for the 2018 Emmys, so Lena gets one more shot.  You can't fall in between eligibility periods.

13 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Season 7 will be eligible for the 2018 Emmys, so Lena gets one more shot.  You can't fall in between eligibility periods.

Thanks, I now remember it worked that way for other shows, but I was forgetting that and letting people on other sites/forums confuse me.

On 9/18/2016 at 7:48 PM, Minneapple said:

The ladies have been spotted on the Emmy's red carpet. Emilia (in a skin-colored gown) and Sophie (in a lingerie-style black Valentino) look okay (not bad but I have notes about both), but I don't know WTF Maisie is wearing. This is one of her biggest moments and seriously WTF IS SHE WEARING? Which is such a shame because she looked cute at the BAFTAs the other night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsrFceOWIAEK9zx.jpg:large

And Kit Harington has a very classic look, black tuxedo.

I thought Maisie's dress was adorable.  It was young and fun like she is.  I didn't like Sophie's dress or her hair at all.  If she has a stylist, I'd fire the bitch if I were her. Emilia's gown was old school glamorous.  AFA Kit is concerned...the man is flawless in whatever.   Regarding individual acting awards, I didn't expect any of the cast to win in these categories (although I rooting for Kit).  In fact, I would have been shocked if someone had.  I was doubly amazed that ST even got a nod seeing as her portrayal of Sansa is so one note and indecipherable compared to say Maisie who makes you get Arya at all times (whether you like where the character is going or not).  

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 3

Sophie in fact didn't get a nod. She was just invited to the ceremony. And she does indeed have a stylist. 

Maisie changed for the after parties but left her hair and makeup and actually didn't look horrible, leading me to believe that it was the combination of dress, hair and makeup that created the messy look during the ceremony.

I didn't mind Emilia's dress, but it was so tight you could see her Spanx or whatever she was wearing under it.

I thought it would have looked better with straps myself.  Something about the strapless points threw the proportions off for me and lengthened her torso ... which is the wrong vertical side to lengthen.  But I had also never thought of the odd camera angles someone mentioned up thread so maybe that was it too ...

Emilia Clarke seems to be having a good year with respect to award noms. She's been nominated in the best actress category for scifi/fantasy for the 2017 people's choice awards (The only actor in GOT to get nominated here) and she's also been nominated for best supporting actress in the Critic's choice awards (CCA). Peter, Kit and Lena have also got nominated for the Critics choice awards.

The show has also been nominated for best drama series in the CCA.

Of course, GoT got no Golden Globe. I didn't expect any, to be honest.

Maisie Williams and Gwendoline Christie were wow-wow-wow gorgeous, Liam Cunnigham got my Davos fangirl's heart fluttering, NCW was dashing (but a bit too tight in his jacket?) and Sophie Turner can get away with wearing a hideous dress (sorry, is "statement" the PC word?) and still look great. Loved Kit Harrington's little moment in the skit.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

Sophie's dress was indeed hideous. It was just too much going on. Maisie and Gwendoline looked amazing though. 

There are cute photos of Sophie arranging the train of Maisie's dress and helping her with it down the red carpet. 

Sophie is announcing the BAFTA nominations tomorrow.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

and Sophie Turner can get away with wearing a hideous dress (sorry, is "statement" the PC word?)

3 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Sophie's dress was indeed hideous. It was just too much going on.

Apparently she's the brand ambassador for Louis Vuitton now, so she's getting paid a hefty sum to wear those weird dresses for the foreseeable future at formal events.

• Love 1

Vuitton is throwing money around for a LOT of big celebrities right now. Ruth Negga and Michelle Williams were also wearing Louis Vuitton last night. Pretty sure they are also brand ambassadors.

I will say that Sophie nabbing a big designer like Louis Vuitton is quite a coup for her. And her hair and makeup look nice; she did the best she could with what Vuitton sent her. Don't know if it's custom (Ruth's was custom) or if they sent her a selection of stuff and she picked a dress or what. 

• Love 1

Take the money and run, Sophie. That's what we do here with Vuitton and it works for us it seems.

Their characters will probably never get so chummy (and Brienne never allowed to look that drop-dead gorgeous) but my Jaime/Brienne heart wants to cuddle this picture.

BrienneJaime.jpg

• Love 6
22 hours ago, MrsR said:

SAG nominations

Dinklage Supporting

Cast Ensemble

Peter Dinklage's nomination is for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series (not supporting actor).

GoT was also nominated for Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series for a total of three SAG nominations.

The show's Emmy categorizations for the cast:

Lead Actor:  Kit Harington

Lead Actress:  Emilia Clarke

Supporting Actor:  NCW, Peter Dinklage

Supporting Actress:  Lena Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams

Guest Actress:  Diana Rigg

Kit and Emilia's chances to win (granted, probably not huge in either case) get sacrificed on the altar of trying to get more of the supporting actors nominated in the slots left vacant as they move up.

Edited by SeanC

I’m getting annoyed that Peter Dinklage keeps getting nominated. Alfie Allen has done unbelievably amazing work and is consistently overlooked. Peter Dinklage has barely had any material to work with in recent seasons and keeps getting nominated!!  Alfie gets the shaft every season in my opinion ??

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, benteen said:

Thrilled to see Nikolaj FINALLY get an Emmy nod.  It's long overdue.

https://wtop.com/national/2018/07/game-of-thrones-roseanne-among-emmy-nomination-hopefuls/

Yay for Nikolaj! About damn time. (However,  if one needed any more proof that the Lannisters have eaten the show, the fact that the three Lannister siblings’ actors were nominated for the acting categories and no one else excepting Diana Rigg should do it.)

Nikolaj and Peter will probably cancel each other out, but Lena has a real shot due to vote splitting for the Handmaid’s Tale nominees.

I'm kind of surprised that even with Emilia moving up to Lead the series' supporting actress count went down -- granted, last year's three nominations in that category was quite a high level to sustain, but at a minimum I'd have thought it would have made it easier for Maisie to get a second nomination (the obvious rejoinder might be that the Winterfell plot this season didn't really excite anybody, but I'd have said the same about her Season 6 plot in Braavos, and she got nominated then).

Diana Rigg probably has the best shot, since she will benefit from vote splitting for the Handmaid’s Tale actresses and the HTGAWM actresses (Viola Davis was nominated for her character’s crossover appearance on Scandal).

I don’t see Millie and Vanessa as real threats. I think Lena’s only real competition in her category is Thandie, if only because of three-way vote splitting for the Handmaid’s Tale actresses.

Peter seemed kind of embarrassed to win for Season 5, so I doubt he’s expecting much. The Supporting Actor category is a little soft, though, as opposed to the incredibly competitive Supporting Actress category noms, so who knows?

49 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I don’t see Millie and Vanessa as real threats. I think Lena’s only real competition in her category is Thandie, if only because of three-way vote splitting for the Handmaid’s Tale actresses.

Millie is my favourite, but yeah, I agree she's not a likely candidate to win.  I'm not sure about Vanessa, though -- "Beryl" is a great Emmy showcase, even if The Crown's supporting cast wasn't used as evenly as it was in the previous season.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Yay for Nikolaj! About damn time. (However,  if one needed any more proof that the Lannisters have eaten the show, the fact that the three Lannister siblings’ actors were nominated for the acting categories and no one else excepting Diana Rigg should do it.)

Nikolaj and Peter will probably cancel each other out, but Lena has a real shot due to vote splitting for the Handmaid’s Tale nominees.

Kit and Emilia being submitted as leads played a big part in that though. Kit would most likely have gotten in over Nikolaj if they'd kept him in supporting, and Emilia would have had a better shot too. And to be honest, along with Maisie the Lannister siblings are the best actors in the cast IMO, at least among the "major" characters who have enough focus and screentime to be considered for nominations.

1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

Diana Rigg probably has the best shot, since she will benefit from vote splitting for the Handmaid’s Tale actresses and the HTGAWM actresses (Viola Davis was nominated for her character’s crossover appearance on Scandal).

Peter seemed kind of embarrassed to win for Season 5, so I doubt he’s expecting much. The Supporting Actor category is a little soft, though, as opposed to the incredibly competitive Supporting Actress category noms, so who knows?

I'd love to see Lena win an Emmy before this show ends, but vote-splitting isn't always a thing -- there were two Handmaid's actresses nominated last year and Ann Dowd still won -- and there seems to be a lot of love for The Handmaid's Tale from the actors right now. In some cases multiple nominees from the same show can actually help, since it essentially gives them multiple episode submissions, allowing voters to see more of their work.

I'm predicting that The Handmaid's Tale defends it's win in Best Drama Series this year, but, barring a complete disaster, GoT will win next year for the final season.

Edited by AshleyN
3 hours ago, AshleyN said:

Kit and Emilia being submitted as leads played a big part in that though. Kit would most likely have gotten in over Nikolaj if they'd kept him in supporting, and Emilia would have had a better shot too. And to be honest, along with Maisie the Lannister siblings are the best actors in the cast IMO, at least among the "major" characters who have enough focus and screentime to be considered for nominations.

I'd love to see Lena win an Emmy before this show ends, but vote-splitting isn't always a thing -- there were two Handmaid's actresses nominated last year and Ann Dowd still won -- and there seems to be a lot of love for The Handmaid's Tale from the actors right now. In some cases multiple nominees from the same show can actually help, since it essentially gives them multiple episode submissions, allowing voters to see more of their work.

I'm predicting that The Handmaid's Tale defends it's win in Best Drama Series this year, but, barring a complete disaster, GoT will win next year for the final season.

I'd love to see Lena win, because she has this year and one more chance at winning for Cersei.  If she wins this year, then maybe Sophie or Maisie can get some good material and get nominated for the final season and have a shot at winning.  I like Thandie Newton and Alexis Bledel, who plays the only likeable character of the Handmaid's Tale nominations, but they'll both have other chances to win.  Yvonne Strahovski and Ann Dowd deserved a lot of credit for making their horrid, monstrous characters seem human, but I wasn't on the Serena Joy redemption train at all.  Both her and Aunt Lydia need to pay the price for their actions, just as much as the male Gilead conspirators. 

(edited)

Nice. Looks like all the main actors on GOT have an Emmy nom under their belt now.

6 hours ago, SeanC said:

I'm kind of surprised that even with Emilia moving up to Lead the series' supporting actress count went down -- granted, last year's three nominations in that category was quite a high level to sustain, but at a minimum I'd have thought it would havee it easier for Maisie to get a second nomination (the obvious rejoinder might be that the Winterfell plot this season didn't really excite anybody, but I'd have said the same about her Season 6 plot in Braavos, and she got nominated then).

Maisie's season 6 plot in Braavos may have been boring, but she had a plot there, which means she actually got to act. She had some nice moments too, acting off against Essie Davis and with the acting troupe. Other than her scene with Nymeria, I can't think of any standout moments with Arya last season.

Not surprised with Kit and Emilia. They did not stand a chance. I thought Noah Schnapp from Stranger Things would get a nom.

58 minutes ago, anyanka323 said:

I'd love to see Lena win, because she has this year and one more chance at winning for Cersei.  If she wins this year, then maybe Sophie or Maisie can get some good material and get nominated for the final season and have a shot at winning. 

Lena is most definitely winning this year, though I thought last season was her weakest. Or maybe that's just me getting bored/tired of Cersei.

I think Maisie has a good chance of getting nominated or even winning next year considering

Spoiler

the amount of filming she seems to have put in for season 8.

Edited by anamika
5 hours ago, AshleyN said:

Multiple nominees certainly doesn't completely kill your chances under this system, but I'd also say that last season Dowd was nominated alongside Samira Wiley, whose role (while well-acted) wasn't especially prominent.  This year, at least in theory, I can imagine that Yvonne Strahovski (who I was kind of surprised wasn't nominated for Season 1) and Alexis Bledel (who won the Guest Actress Emmy for Season 1) are more likely to have substantial constituencies voting for them, making vote-splitting more of a concern.