Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Part I

• Start Topic

One detail my girlfriend noticed. When Bomer is in the hospital, he looks at his hands, no ring. When he is being interviewed by Pullman, they show a similar shot of his hands and he is wearing a ring.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

It's a good start to the season.  I can't wait until we get flashbacks to see just what was the dynamic between Nick and Jamie.  It looks like Nick was the leader but I'm wondering if we'll discover that Jamie was more of a leader than he might appear.  

That's where I'd put my money!  I'm getting huge narcissist vibes from Jamie. 

• Love 6

How long had it been since Jamie and Nick saw each other?  I think Jamie was a different person when he knew Nick.  When Nick saw that Jamie had a wife and a baby on the way, he probably didn't get it because it's not the Jamie he knew.

I wonder if this is a story where one person changed and the other resented it.

Why were they going to that painter's house?  Why did she ask Ambrose if they were armed?

I think this is going to be a good season, hopefully better than last season.

BTW, at the dinner table, Nick really read Jamie and his wife.  At first I thought it was weird, but when I watched it again, i realized that Nick really picked up on the things that were said to draw those conclusions.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 11

I liked the first episode and I’m very curious to see where this season goes. 

So we know, for whatever reason, that Jamie let Nick die, and I’m wondering just what the dynamic was between Jamie and Nick and what exactly they did. I’m also wondering if Jamie is a complete bad guy or not, I’m thinking he may turn out to be a villain, he just can hide it well, whereas Nick was extremely creepy in just the few scenes we saw of him, with his tangent about Jamie being the one who wanted the baby and all.

I’m wondering why exactly Nick wanted to see Jamie and why they were going to the painter’s house? And with the painter asking Ambrose if they were armed or not, that makes me think she has something to fear from someone, maybe Jamie and Nick, maybe someone else. She did seem to recognize either Jamie or Nick when Ambrose showed her their pictures, but I couldn’t tell if she recognized Jamie when he went back to the scene of the accident. 

Ambrose is a great lead IMO and I like watching him put the pieces together. 

This was an engaging, compelling start to the season, let’s hope it continues to be good. 

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 13

I’m intrigued!  I think the painter  recognized both of them in the photos, but it could take a second to click because if she knew them in college, they would look a bit different as men than they did as boys. Not sure if she was able to see it was Jamie in the car later, but she probably figured it was because no one else would have had a reason to drive to the scene and leave when they saw her/police there.

It feels like Jamie was probably a follower who did some ugly things with him back in the day - came from a broken or messed up home, lonely, odd, vulnerable, exactly the type to be easily pulled into a close friendship by someone strong who knows exactly who to look for when they want a partner in crime but to be the one in charge. It would make sense that later in life he might have pushed extra hard for his own happy, normal family life, a do-over, redemption. The last person he would want to see is someone who can disrupt or derail that by dredging up whatever things they did before, but to let him die just to protect this new image of himself certainly indicates whatever bad they did was extreme. And considering what we know from this series, I’m planning to brace for whatever that reveal is!

However, If they DID know the painter from their bad days together, then it is probably not a coincidence that Jamie ended up living near her, so that means it’s not really all just things left behind in college days. Maybe he was trying to help her hide in her solitary life because she was traumatized by something they did to her then? He promised to protect her, and since they were driving straight toward her he panicked and wrecked them just to make sure they didn’t actually get there - letting him die was sort of a “bonus” to end the threat permanently, but for me, even though we saw that he made that choice, the medical examiner was wrong that emergency responders could have saved him if they had arrived sooner Even if Jamie had dialed 911 immediately, he died within 3 minutes, he never could have been saved. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Irritable said:

I’m intrigued!  I think the painter  recognized both of them in the photos, but it could take a second to click because if she knew them in college, they would look a bit different as men than they did as boys. Not sure if she was able to see it was Jamie in the car later, but she probably figured it was because no one else would have had a reason to drive to the scene and leave when they saw her/police there.

It feels like Jamie was probably a follower who did some ugly things with him back in the day - came from a broken or messed up home, lonely, odd, vulnerable, exactly the type to be easily pulled into a close friendship by someone strong who knows exactly who to look for when they want a partner in crime but to be the one in charge. It would make sense that later in life he might have pushed extra hard for his own happy, normal family life, a do-over, redemption. The last person he would want to see is someone who can disrupt or derail that by dredging up whatever things they did before, but to let him die just to protect this new image of himself certainly indicates whatever bad they did was extreme. And considering what we know from this series, I’m planning to brace for whatever that reveal is!

However, If they DID know the painter from their bad days together, then it is probably not a coincidence that Jamie ended up living near her, so that means it’s not really all just things left behind in college days. Maybe he was trying to help her hide in her solitary life because she was traumatized by something they did to her then? He promised to protect her, and since they were driving straight toward her he panicked and wrecked them just to make sure they didn’t actually get there - letting him die was sort of a “bonus” to end the threat permanently, but for me, even though we saw that he made that choice, the medical examiner was wrong that emergency responders could have saved him if they had arrived sooner Even if Jamie had dialed 911 immediately, he died within 3 minutes, he never could have been saved. 

If I’m remembering the episode correctly, Jamie didn’t call 911 until 4:33am. The last time there was a cellular ping on the phone was 3:17am. That’s over an hour. If Jamie had called 911 immediately, Nick probably could’ve been saved. 

I’ve never watched this show before, and I’m here for Chris Messina and Matt Bomer. We’re off to a good start. 

• Love 12

I keep trying to give this show a chance but I get bored after a couple episodes.   Matt Bomer may help though.   Plus the story itself is far more intriguing then at least last season.   

Jamie more then likely had the ideal life.  The ideal job.  The ideal wife.  But is bored out of his mind.  Then a guy from his wild and crazy youth and the worst moment in his life (because that lady did recognize at least one of the pictures) shows back up and it spins him out of control because he sure the hell is more interesting but that kind of “hold my beer” interesting leads to dead bodies.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
19 hours ago, PepSinger said:

If I’m remembering the episode correctly, Jamie didn’t call 911 until 4:33am. The last time there was a cellular ping on the phone was 3:17am. That’s over an hour. If Jamie had called 911 immediately, Nick probably could’ve been saved. 

Maybe, but maybe not.  How was the cell phone service where they were?  Ambrose himself has to go outside to get service.  If Jamie called 911 immediately, how long would it have taken for the ambulance to get there? 

I think Ambrose is suspicious because Jamie didn't say something like, "I was in shock and I don't know how much time has passed before I made the call."

• Love 4

On rewatch I noticed something interesting.  When Jamie was telling Nick to leave he said, "You don't get to tell me what to do," and then very quietly added "not this time."

Spoiler

The past two seasons always led with a person who was so guilty and you couldn't imagine why they did the things they did.  They both had psychological reasons and weren't inherently evil, so I think it would be very interesting if this season flips the script and Jamie is indeed a villian. 

• Love 3

There some interesting clues:

The paper fortune teller found in the hotel room. This suggests they were playing some kind of game with variable/not completed planned out sequences.

The Painter Lady, obviously Nick and Jamie knew her, did she paint them when they were in college in some humiliating positions.

Jamie did something in the past that he wants to stay in the past and that Nick wants to revisit. Jamie probably knew Nick was in town long before he mysteriously shows up on Jamie's doorstep.

The things Nick and Jamie did in the past involve serious injuries and possibly murder.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 4:53 PM, Irritable said:

I think the painter recognized both of them in the photos, but it could take a second to click because if she knew them in college, they would look a bit different as men than they did as boys.

Hmm. I wonder if they would, at that, given the apparent permanence of Bomer's youthful looks.

Edited by Sandman
Bone structure is everything.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Man, I’m really late to Season 3.  I did enjoy seasons 1 and 2.  I find it bizarre the detectives would be investigating a car accident. It was in a rural area, so the New York State Police would have investigated or county sheriff, since on private property.   Unless, there is something discovered by the patrol officer or patrol supervisor, plain clothes detectives don’t get involved in motor vehicle accidents. Who digs that deep on a car accident?  They are treating an obvious car accident like a high profile murder case.  Odd.  

What annoyed me is the way the wife overrode her husband’s reluctance to allow his friend into their home.  She didn’t know the guy.  Couldn’t she see her husband did not want the guy to just come in like that? She should have followed his lead.   I hate it when people do that.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe