Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: The Book of Markovia: Chapter Three: Motherless Id

Trini
  • Start Topic

Jefferson and Anissa join forces with the ASA to help one of their own. Meanwhile, Lynn is forced to continue battling her demons.

Bille Woodruff directed the episode written by Adam Giaudrone & Lynelle White.

Airdate: 2/3/2020

4_595.jpg

Edited by Trini

This was a really good episode, especially for Khalil. His storyline was something that I wish the Arrow writers had incorporated when dealing with LL/BS. He made a great villain who was forced to do things against his will and now he has to find a way to live with himself and right his wrongs (even though they technically werent his). Now he can join team Black Lightning and makes a great Outsider.

• Love 3

Good news: TC and Jenn bring Khalil back! Bad news: not only is Khalil toxic to the point where he can't be touched, he has access to Painkiller's memories . . . including the bit where he/they killed his/their mother. Um, yaaaaaaaaay?

At least we're getting close to Freeland's Finest going to Markovia to stop all the shit this season has wrought. On the bright side, we get the cold open of Dr. Jace telling us how she's going to be Lynn's "bestie," immediately followed by Lynn attempting to kill her. That was hysterical.

The guy working with Lynn was Gardner Grayle. I don't consider Atomic Knight to be that deep a cut, but it's still impressive to delve that deep into DC's archives. I mean, you can't just put him in armor. You'd need a giant Dalmatian for him to ride into battle. Otherwise, what's the point?

I'm guessing the team is the Outsiders in all but name. Grayle coming in is fitting, since the end of the second Outsiders series had the team betrayed by Dr. Jace and plugged into a reality with the Atomic Knights. I should probably go to the comic thread.

• Love 1

Jefferson: "Dangerous mission. You have to stay here -"
Everyone, one foot already in the car: "We're going!"

LOL! Well, at least Shady Gambi's shadiness is paying off this season! I'm all for superpowered team ups.

And we need a quote thread? -

"I'm not a child."
"Well... sometimes you are."
"That was a low blow!"

Anyway, I thought this episode did a good job of balancing several plots.

Yes, LOL at Jace having to look up how to be nice and make friends, and getting a Lynn beatdown anyway! I do wonder how they are going to resolve this addiction arc. At least Lynn seems to have finally accepted that she does have a problem she needs to fix; but I don't want to see her going through withdrawls for the rest of the season.

And what about Tobias? I assume he's part of the recovery mission too, but I kind of hope he escapes because he's been caged for most of the season, and he needs to do interesting things again.

The Khalil/TC/Jen plot was surprisingly touching. Jordan Calloway was good here. I was kind of annoyed at his arc last season, but I think this season's storyline has been much better.

The "safe space" in Khalil's mind reminded me of a similar plot on Supergirl. With Jen being the one to lead him out, I guess they're going forward with revisiting them as a couple? But with Khalil understandably feeling terrible about Painkiller, it'll probably be drawn out. Too bad Brandon.

Anissa and Grace fighting (sparring?) was fun! Maybe they will use her better in the next few episodes.

This ASA General who I still don't know her name is so one-note, and I hope she's gone by the end of the season. All the other antagonists are more interesting than her.

• Love 3

Jefferson: "Hey, Gambi?  Don't you think it's a bit reckless to have two newbies in the Lightning Lair?  I mean, we barely know their names..."

Gambi: "Eh, what's the worst that can happen?!"

Barry:  "Sorry to eavesdrop guys, but it's true!  We've let almost the entire Central City population into S.T.A.R. labs, and it's barely messed things up for us!  Sure, maybe a few broken consoles if they end up being evil, but other than that?  Eh!!"

So, thanks to Jen and TC, Khalil is officially back, but not only is his skin still poisonous and "Painkiller" will always be deep down inside him, he now has to live with knowing what he (or Painkiller to be exact) did to his mom.  Yeah, that's going to be a rough one to get over.  Jordan Calloway really shined here.

Of course, Dr. Jace would need to learn the basics of social skills, in order to try and "befriend" Lynn.  Classic Jace!

Now it's time for Operation Save Lynn and everyone is going!  Well, almost everyone.  I guess we'll see if they'll even bother explaining why Jefferson doesn't try to ring up one of his new Crisis buddies to assist....

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Jefferson: "Hey, Gambi?  Don't you think it's a bit reckless to have two newbies in the Lightning Lair?  I mean, we barely know their names..."

Gambi: "Eh, what's the worst that can happen?!"

Yeah, way too many people know about Gambi's bunker now. I feel like they'll need to find a new place next season. Maybe just for the Pierce family? Although Anissa has her own mini-lair.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Now it's time for Operation Save Lynn and everyone is going!  Well, almost everyone.  I guess we'll see if they'll even bother explaining why Jefferson doesn't try to ring up one of his new Crisis buddies to assist....

Jefferson seems very territorial and very "ill do this on my own". I don't think he'd ever really be interested in calling other superheroes if he believes he can do it on his own.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Jefferson seems very territorial and very "ill do this on my own". I don't think he'd ever really be interested in calling other superheroes if he believes he can do it on his own.

Yet he's willing to trust the ASA, who he knows is dirty as hell?

I know this is one of the pitfalls of a shared universe of TV shows, people don't call each other for help as much as they really should, but so far it feels to me that despite Black Lightning being officially part of the Arrowverse now, it's not really all that connected. Post Crisis stuff hasn't really had an impact so far.

11 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

Yet he's willing to trust the ASA, who he knows is dirty as hell?

I know this is one of the pitfalls of a shared universe of TV shows, people don't call each other for help as much as they really should, but so far it feels to me that despite Black Lightning being officially part of the Arrowverse now, it's not really all that connected. Post Crisis stuff hasn't really had an impact so far.

He's getting something out of working with the ASA, not like he said "sure let's team up" his family/friends gain immunity and records wiped. 

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode. It's good Khalil is finally back, but sad to see him having to struggle emotionally yet again. It's going to be a long road for him. I can see a Khalil/Jen/Brandon love triangle coming from a mile away.

I really like TC! I like how much Gambi cares for TC. I think TC is like a new Jefferson for him. lol He found a new adoptive son.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

He's getting something out of working with the ASA, not like he said "sure let's team up" his family/friends gain immunity and records wiped. 

If you believe that the ASA will actually do that. I wouldn't trust them if I was Jefferson.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm guessing the team is the Outsiders in all but name. Grayle coming in is fitting, since the end of the second Outsiders series had the team betrayed by Dr. Jace and plugged into a reality with the Atomic Knights. I should probably go to the comic thread.

If Brandon is our Brion analogue, then I'm assuming TC is Technocrat, just with actual powers. Add a girl who glows in the dark and I'm good; I don't know if they'd import Katana from Arrow, Looker might not be worth resurrecting and redeeming, a mage might feel a bit off-brand, and a werebear would tax the effects budget without adding more muscle than Anissa already provides.

Khalil and Jen just break my heart, gah :((  I wasn't sure what he would choose.  You know at some point Painkiller will break through the firewall.

Love TC working with Gambi and Jen.

I'm always here for Lynn beating up Jace.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, raven said:

Khalil and Jen just break my heart, gah :((  I wasn't sure what he would choose.  You know at some point Painkiller will break through the firewall.

I'm wondering if Khalil will let him out. If Khalil faces off against Tobias and starts to lose, I can see him releasing Painkiller to take over the fight. As much as Khalil hates Painkiller, he's more afraid of Tobias.

• Love 1

I do not for one second believe the ASA will actually honor any agreements. I also thought there might be some double cross plan going on from the other direction, though, because in an earlier scene Anissa was against teaming up with them, but then when they actually made the deal, she took the role of trying to persuade her father that it was the right call. So, she switched? And had to convince HIM? It doesn't track, unless that was a game they were playing for some reason. Or I guess it could just be bad continuity, but I think they threw that in to give a hint that things are not as they seem.

I like Brandon and TC. I find Khalil and Tobias both deadly boring, and have liked hot having to deal with them so much for a while. Lady Eve is a much more dynamic and interesting villain, but they seem to have taken her down several notches, to build up another guy villain. It's irksome.

Can you re-program a chip? Can you change whatever is generating the poison? There must be some enzyme or antidote for the toxin. But fundamentally this show isn't about solving problems, it's about prolonging them. They seem to have opted for the endless and interminable war instead of developing new issues to deal with from time to time.

It would be awesome if Lynn rescued herself before the crew arrived. I would like seeing the scene where everyone swoops in and then realizes she's already gotten herself out and is back at home wondering where her family went.

• Love 4
On 2/4/2020 at 12:00 PM, Primal Slayer said:

As others have said, no way the ASA honours their deal, hell they're already planning to take out Lynn if things go south.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Lady Eve is a much more dynamic and interesting villain, but they seem to have taken her down several notches, to build up another guy villain. It's irksome.

THIS. I assume Jill Scott will only be here a short time; while Lady Eve is here, I don't want to see her cowering because of LaLa, of all people. LaLa. She was the one that even scared Tobias. Don't forget that, show!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Trini said:

THIS. I assume Jill Scott will only be here a short time; while Lady Eve is here, I don't want to see her cowering because of LaLa, of all people. LaLa. She was the one that even scared Tobias. Don't forget that, show!

In universe it doesn't make sense.. Tobias is a scary dude.. And she wasn't fearful of LaLa before was she... But  I dunno if its a crisis thing... Me personally I've always enjoyed LaLa more as a villain... There's just something a bit off and unsettling.. Maybe I can really envision a guy like that so he hits home 

What was on the back of Jace's neck. It looked like one of those things the ASA would install on people to control them. Is the ASA controlling Jace? They made a point of showing it to us. 

Did anyone else get confused with the editing. The scene before the commercial break is the team assembling to rescue Lynn and then the scene after the break Jen, TC, Brandon and Gambi are back with Khalil. 

Of course Dr. Jace would do research on social interaction to try and interact with her BFF Lynn! I always love the interaction between Lynn and Dr. Jace. Its clear that, while Lynn understandably hates her guts, Dr. Jace really does like Lynn as much as she is capable of liking anyone, considers her an intellectual equal, and really loves working with her, even while Lynn is in the middle of kicking her ass. "Someone might actually mistake you for compassionate." "I find that highly doubtful." 

Khalil is finally back, but its going to be a tough road for him, as per usual. Poor Khalil, the whole mind place sequence between him and Jenn was heartbreaking, and now not only does have all of his old traumas, he has an evil side living in his head, he is literally poison, and he has to deal with everything he did as painkiller, even if it wasnt really his fault, including murdering his own mother. I really had no idea if he would want to stay in his head or leave. 

I love TC, he and Gambi are great together. He has another meta kid to mentor! 

It looks like the show heard my complaints about Grace not getting anything to do anymore, as the show not only remembers that Grace can fight, but also lets her join the Dirty Dozen! Annias and Grace having a little fight session was cute, and the first time I have seen real heat from them in awhile. 

I love how every interaction between Jefferson and everyone going on the Markovia mission went, with him telling them they cant come, and then them just going anyway. 

"You cant go!"

"And yet here I am with my overnight bag..."

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

What was on the back of Jace's neck. It looked like one of those things the ASA would install on people to control them. Is the ASA controlling Jace? They made a point of showing it to us. 

The same thing was on the back of Lynn's neck, so all the prisoner's probably have one.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The same thing was on the back of Lynn's neck, so all the prisoner's probably have one.

Thanks!  I didn't notice one on Lynn's neck. I thought we were being let in on a secret which was Jace was there working for the ASA. 

I'm gonna say that, although Grace's skills are quite impressive, Anissa was the winner of that sparring match. Got to give her a few extra points for getting through the entire fight without any of that rather amazing cleavage falling out. If she wore that top while fighting crime, she'd never have to worry about bad guys running away again. They'd be lined up around the block surrendering.

• Love 1