Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: I Was Here

jewel21
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Kim is a dumbass! I knew she was going to lose the baby as soon as she became involved in saving that girl..

It was so inevitable. Now she can go back to being a badass and say goodbye to Ruzek.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Do all of the Chicago shows have a shared book of storylines or something? I mean, Chicago PD was kind of late with the pregnancy ends in miscarriage but it's not like Med and Fire haven't already done it.

I don't know, but Dick Wolf's Law & Order franchise would often have a case "ripped from the headlines" that all three would tackle, so I can imagine the Chicago franchise doing the same formula.

• Love 1

I was hoping they wouldn't go there, but...meh. Whatever. Bayyyybeeeeeee storylines bore the hell out of me. 

Now with that said, after watching that climatic scene, Marina Squerciati can act, and act (bathtub) rings around Wooden Barbie. That was intense, painful to watch and must have been a bear for her to film. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I guess I could say I appreciated what went into it. 

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 14

Such lazy cliched storytelling....Again.

Why is everyone so fucking miserable on this show? All the time. It's depressing.

Let me guess, Burgess pushes Adam away now, she blames herself, treats everyone like shit, is miserable....such a new and imaginative narrative.

Now I admit I am a Burzek fan but I hated this baby business because I expected this crappy story to follow exactly this plot. These writers are nothing if not predictable. 

In saying that, this week's episode was a vast improvement on last week's crapfest, case wise. The case was interesting and that part I enjoyed even if I was waiting for expected miscarriage.

5 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Do all of the Chicago shows have a shared book of storylines or something? I mean, Chicago PD was kind of late with the pregnancy ends in miscarriage but it's not like Med and Fire haven't already done it.

It's a well worn copy of 'Screenwriting for Dummies.' The miscarriage page has so many coffee stains on it these days. I guess it will cycle back to Fire now, it's their turn again...

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 3

As the baby wasn't the political advisors baby I wasn't really interested in future Ruzek baby.. And I thought that this show wouldn't do a good job of having the two of them parent without tons of needless drama..  So as gross as it sounds the miscarriage works for me... Ew.. But still... Marina did a great job and I really enjoyed the  case.. And the work of the team this week compared to last episode which had me up a wall

• Love 2

I'll probably never be a huge Ruzek fan.. But I do hope they also acknowledge his loss in all of this...and while im sure they'll have Kim aim her anger at him.. Because why not... Can the show remember Kim and Kev are supposed to be best buds...  

Edited by UNOSEZ
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Can the show remember Kim and Kev are supposed to be best buds...  

Yeah, Kev. Is he still on the squad? Besides his usual one line mumble and being the designated "tracker placement person" what does he do?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Show of hands from all the people who didn't see this miscarriage storyline coming 10 miles away. I guess now she'll place herself in harm's way more often to prove how strong she is. I hope we get a good Burgwater friendship scene out of this .

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, preeya said:

Yeah, Kev. Is he still on the squad? Besides his usual one line mumble and being the designated "tracker placement person" what does he do?

Go undercover within his own community as Vanessa's pretend boyfriend, to stop gangs and drug dealers. I'm surprised that no one has recognized him by now.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, spunky said:

Show of hands from all the people who didn't see this miscarriage storyline coming 10 miles away. I guess now she'll place herself in harm's way more often to prove how strong she is. I hope we get a good Burgwater friendship scene out of this .

I hope you aren't holding your breath. I read an article and Marina said that basically Voight, Platt and eventually Ruzek are the only ones involved in her miserable life going forward & the rest are left out of it. I'd be surprised if we even get a #RUZWATER arc out of it...you know Kev is Ruzek's best friend also.

It was always going to end in miscarriage because this is the only way male showrunners know how to portray 'women', they need to beat them and break them emotionally...and the easiest way to do that is to go the cliched 'unexpected pregnancy, doesn't want it, does want, finally happy & bang miscarriage.' route.

Why they feel the need to constantly write women this way is beyond me. Why is it that motherhood/or lack there of is the only way they can write 'defining moments' for female characters, that their whole purpose is tied to their reproductive abilities and this story is just another sad indictment of how TV shows view women characters.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Guildford said:

I hope you aren't holding your breath. I read an article and Marina said that basically Voight, Platt and eventually Ruzek are the only ones involved in her miserable life going forward & the rest are left out of it. I'd be surprised if we even get a #RUZWATER arc out of it...you know Kev is Ruzek's best friend also.

It was always going to end in miscarriage because this is the only way male showrunners know how to portray 'women', they need to beat them and break them emotionally...and the easiest way to do that is to go the cliched 'unexpected pregnancy, doesn't want it, does want, finally happy & bang miscarriage.' route.

Why they feel the need to constantly write women this way is beyond me. Why is it that motherhood/or lack there of is the only way they can write 'defining moments' for female characters, that their whole purpose is tied to their reproductive abilities and this story is just another sad indictment of how TV shows view women characters.

Well I won’t hold out any hopes that these writers remember Kevin is still around. This is Black history month, so he should be getting his usual story arch soon. These writers need to be more original.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Now with that said, after watching that climatic scene, Marina Squerciati can act, and act (bathtub) rings around Wooden Barbie. That was intense, painful to watch and must have been a bear for her to film. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I guess I could say I appreciated what went into it. 

I've always thought Marina can be a little over-the-top in her acting at times, but this was probably her best work. She was solid the whole episode and that fight scene was absolutely brutal and she handled it and the aftermath well. 

The fallout will no doubt be predictable... guilt, rage, isolation, recklessness, etc.. Here's to hoping the writers don't hit every tired grief cliche. 

• Love 8

I think several episodes ago, I wrote that I didn't think the writers would go to all the trouble of getting Kim pregnant only for it to end in a cliched miscarriage.  Welp.  Just seemed too obvious and convenient, like it always is.  It would have been interesting to see how she and Adam raised the child yet still weren't "together".  And it's not as if having a baby takes you out of the storyline every week, just look at (sadly) Natalie on Fire.

Will have to rewatch the last scene again, but not sure how the offender got the jump on Kim.  She came in with a gun.  Stay back at a safe distance.  If the guy comes at you, you shoot him.  Why did she allow him to engage her? 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Burgess is the reason that Burgess lost the baby.  She put herself in harms way at the risk of losing the baby.   She never did seem happy that she was pregnant.

I think she was afraid to terminate the pregnancy for whatever reason.

17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Kevin dominated episodes seem to be only centered around his family. 

Or being Black.  The show never goes beyond the surface of the conundrum of Kevin being a Black police officer and how he is perceived by his community given the history.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Pearson80 said:
Or being Black.  The show never goes beyond the surface of the conundrum of Kevin being a Black police officer and how he is perceived by his community given the history.

Like most scripted network fare, the entire One Chicago franchise is a prime-time weekly soap opera, and is about as deep as the kitchen sink with regard to racial issues (both good and bad). Probably by diktat from network S&P to the showrunners to keep things palatable for middle America's commercial-watching pearl-clutching viewers.

The audience for this show is overwhelmingly old (over-50 numbers are almost double the 18-49 tally) and they'll tune out if things break their brains. 

Atwater is so badly underused in this series and I agree, I'd like to see more about him, and perhaps they should have several more members of the squad that are better fits for the neighborhood they're policing. It would make their undercover work far more believable at the very least.

On Med and Fire, virtually every victim, patient or family of-the-week is a corn fed midwestern white family with no discernible regional accent, and it's not much different in Fire's south-side neighborhood. PD is slightly better, but still ridiculous.

• Love 4

Why Let Burgess keep her baby and have a storyline from that when having Upton and Halstead eventually fuck is more important? Never mind they've banged other co workers in the past Jay MUST FUCK another Female Coworker and A smug superior I'm untouchable smirk on her face at that 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Why Let Burgess keep her baby and have a storyline from that when having Upton and Halstead eventually fuck is more important? Never mind they've banged other co workers in the past Jay MUST FUCK another Female Coworker and A smug superior I'm untouchable smirk on her face at that 

I like you😂

• LOL 1

Why even create the pregnancy storyline for Burgess if you're just going to have her suffer a miscarriage? She was pregnant for all of 5-6 episodes. As soon as Kim heard Emma scream and ran in, you knew, unless she shot the guy in the head, she was going to lose the baby. 

It seems like the writers are searching for stories. Last year, it was having Antonio become a drug addict. This year, it's Kim being pregnant. And when they do give characters these storylines, they never follow through with them. They just up and end it abruptly.

That said, I agree with others that say that was a badass scene from Kim. That's was good acting, and you could feel the desperation in her fight. She better get commendation for her bravery, as she risked her pregnancy to save the girl. Had she waited, even a minute longer, the CPR wouldn't have saved Emma.

• Love 4

That fight was the most badass I've seen Burgess be. And Marina was great in the episode and hearing she did her own stunts for that fight is pretty damn awesome as well. Just sad that Burgess(And Ruzek) lost their baby  

• Love 8
On 2/6/2020 at 1:00 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

She was amazing!  That end scene crushed me and I don't even like them!

• Love 2
On 2/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, Pearson80 said:

think she was afraid to terminate the pregnancy for whatever reason.

No, the writers were.

I LOATHE the "Good Girls Avoid Abortion" and "Convenient Miscarriage" tropes.

The first one because it's just absolutely ridiculous how many TV characters decide to continue with an unwanted/unplanned pregnancy no matter how disastrous the circumstances, the second because it's such a pathetically obvious way to avoid the controversy of the woman having an abortion, but still get rid of the kid anyway. I've seen TV women lose their babies as they were GOING INTO LABOR, for crying out loud. Not only that, it's incredibly cruel. How the hell do the writers think it's more appealing to see a woman beaten up until she miscarries instead of calmly and reasonably deciding to abort? What's their thought process? 

"Let's have the woman realize that her pregnancy is disastrous and decide to have an abortion."

*Horrified gasps*

"No, we can't do that! The viewers would be repulsed and stop watching and the show would be cancelled!"

"Okay, let's make her continue with the pregnancy and at some point have her fall down the stairs/get into an accident/get beaten up, etc."

"Oh, that's a great idea! The viewers will LOVE that!"

Do they even realize how misogynistic it is?

I'm not asking for TV to be an abortion free-for-all, nor for it to be treated like an "Eh, whatever" decision or situation, but the frequency of the GGAA trope is, as I stated, ridiculous.

Especially on soaps. This is a genre that has hooked up women with their RAPISTS and eagerly tackled just about every other social issue out there, yet the writers still clutch their pearls and fear losing viewers if a woman exercises her right to choose.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 4