Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Rock

Athena
  • Start Topic

So do the designers know in advance if their models have had recent bikini waxes or Brazilians?  Two episodes now we’ve seen extremely high cut and narrow leotards style tops that expose quite a lot of the pubic area!  How awkward would it be if the model went to put that reverse thong on and announced that she believes in staying au natural when it comes to personal grooming!  

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Apparently Minju and Angel can do no wrong with these judges. All they have to do is cry and they don’t get sent home when they deserve to. I thought the judging would be different than on P.R. I was wrong. So disappointed. 
anyway, I did enough this challenge and most, not all, of the designs were rock and roll and very cool. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I think Minju and Angel should have gone home for that. 

Looking forward to seeing what they all can do as individual designers but I wish more of the random couples had made it. Only one strangers pairing made it to this point. 

I don't necessarily hate the duo idea but maybe they should all be strangers next season. I won't say it's an "unfair" advantage since I think everyone knew what they were getting into but it definitely is an advantage to have your partner be someone you know really well.

I know they focused on Angel and Minju's reactions when they announced the team split up but did anyone else see the look on Charles face? He looked maaaaaaad.  

I had to edit this to add that, I wrote above only one strangers duo made it to the individual challenges (Daniel and Carli) but afterwards I realized Angelo and Charles were also strangers. In one of the earlier episodes I swear one of them said they were married. .... I thought they were married the entire series until I was reading up more on all the designers. 

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 2

The plaid Gwen Stefani look was way too vulgar for me.  There were 2 looks this season that showed side-vagina and I really don't like it.  This was one of them.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:51 AM, BusyOctober said:

So do the designers know in advance if their models have had recent bikini waxes or Brazilians?  Two episodes now we’ve seen extremely high cut and narrow leotards style tops that expose quite a lot of the pubic area!  How awkward would it be if the model went to put that reverse thong on and announced that she believes in staying au natural when it comes to personal grooming!  

I don't like it!!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I don't necessarily hate the duo idea but maybe they should all be strangers next season. I won't say it's an "unfair" advantage since I think everyone knew what they were getting into but it definitely is an advantage to have your partner be someone you know really well.

As much as I didn't like the pairs concept, I wouldn't object to one where it was all pairs who chose each other/knew each other. I found I enjoyed watching the pairs who really got along. It was fun to watch them colab and work together. I also like that this show did male/female looks for the challenges. That was fun too. 

• Love 9

So, last episode Angel & Minju didn't understand what lingerie was, & this episode they didn't understand what rock is. They should have been the ones eliminated.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:51 AM, BusyOctober said:

This is something I wonder about all the time when I watch The Amazing Race. They always have challenges where the racers have to put on bathing suits, & I always wonder if they're given a heads up so that they can make sure to at least shave beforehand. I think they models just get it done as part of being models.

• Love 2

I feel pretty sure what saved Angel and Minju was the guest judge saying (while it was coming down the runway) that theirs was something he hadn't seen before and that it does what fashion should, "take you places". That had to be the saving grace, versus a cliché of harness/bodysuit/safety pins. Because the silver really was fairly terrible otherwise! On these shows, creative/original -- however the judges choose to define that -- typically wins over cliché or safe. A judge said something about C&A putting the safe in safety pins.

It was so weird seeing Angel and Minju talk about trying to make something sexy. Everything about their aesthetics and personality is just the opposite of that. It felt wrong somehow.

Both produced lame looks so I was fine with either being eliminated based on this challenge. Though I do think Angel and Minju have a more interesting and different perspective to offer the fashion world and this competition than Claire and Adolfo, so looking beyond this challenge I prefer this outcome.

• Love 4

If you look at both of the bottom designs, you would never guess that Angel and Minjus design was supposed to be rock... Clair and Adolfos you can. If they hadn’t have split up the teams, I don’t think I’d keep watching. The judging has been BS and Tan has really rubbed me the wrong way ever since the street wear challenge. Think the winning designs were head scratchers as well. 

• Love 2
On 2/1/2020 at 11:21 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The plaid Gwen Stefani look was way too vulgar for me.  There were 2 looks this season that showed side-vagina and I really don't like it.  This was one of them.

I don't like it!!

On season one of ANTM the first thing they did was get a Brazilian wax so I assume that is the norm.

• Love 1

Just what the fuck was that alienesque design Angel and Misou sent down the runway?  I consistently hate their designs.  

I also hated that gold heart/lava whatever the fuck that was.

I think they picked the right winner but overall the runway was blech.

I loved that Angelo said he started a band but then admitted he wasn't a very good singer. Between that and inadvertently flashing Tan and Alexa, Angelo was definitely on my good side this week. I loved when Angelo said that other people thought he was an alien and then Charles told him that he's still an alien but he has found other aliens. Using brocade for the kilt was an interesting choice which made it different from the more cliche plaid kilt as punk look. I thought I would hate the tank top with the gold safety pin heart, but I ended up liking it. The gold dress was over the top but I liked the structure of it and I liked how unabashedly over the top it was.

On my bad side this week: Marco and Ashton. As a short person, no, it's not fair that you get the fabric you see someone trying to reach just because you're taller. I really don't understand why they can't put all the fabric at a reasonable height, especially after Marco had to go to the hospital for this very reason. I also didn't like their attitude. Just because the judges said that your stuff has been costumey doesn't mean you should interpret that as "do simple things." You can do complex and amazing things WITHOUT looking like you've made costumes. I hated the long fringe on the male model's jacket. The gold holographic fabric they used for both costumes was so tacky and cheap looking. The female model's unitard looked like some of the bad costumes I've seen in dance recital costume catalogs. The faux fur jacket was way too Burning Man for me.

Ha, I loved that the only rock reference that Minju had was Kiss. Shiny silver fabric can look very cheap so you have to be careful with what kind of material you choose and how you use it. When they decided to ditch the red plaid coat and go all silver, I was a little worried for them. I had to laugh that this is what Minju considers sexy because compared to some of the other stuff we saw on the runway, this was still very covered up and conservative. I'm not complaining though. I thought this was far more tasteful than Claire's white leather leotard. I liked the silver dress but I thought the male model's coat was much more rock. I hated how long the pink pants were. You don't have to show skin in order to be sexy but if you are going to cover a lot of skin and have everything loose, you're going to have a harder time convincing the judges that it's sexy.

I don't understand why Carli and Daniel thought rock = navy blue wool. I think they got stuck on the concept of pinning faux ticket stubs onto the clothing and ended up not being able to see that it didn't really work. But without them, the male model was just wearing a plain black t-shirt. I hated the oversized jacket on the female model. I get the inspiration but the execution wasn't great. The unsewn seam on one arm reminded me of Sally in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I didn't understand why Claire and Adolfo thought that the female being more powerful means wearing a tiny white leather leotard. I hated the white strap going down her leg to what looked like a geriatric knee brace. As for their male look, I've never understood the heavy jacket + shorts look. In high school, my friend and I used to joke about how it meant the top half and the bottom half of your body must be in different climate zones. On a shallow note, when Adolfo spoke with Christopher Kane, I think he said "kind of" about a hundred times.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:16 PM, snarktini said:

I feel pretty sure what saved Angel and Minju was the guest judge saying (while it was coming down the runway) that theirs was something he hadn't seen before and that it does what fashion should, "take you places". That had to be the saving grace, versus a cliché of harness/bodysuit/safety pins.

I think the other thing that saved Angel and Minju was that they weren't defensive about the comments they received. Claire, on the other hand, heard what the judges said and then told them that she still loved the white leotard she made. If you can't take constructive criticism and apply it so that you can evolve and improve, you may be too hard headed for a competitive reality show.

• Love 1

We are really going to see who has been carrying each of the teams now that they are all on their own. 

Angel and Minju...oh my...it’s like someone asked Mork what rock stars wear back on his planet. I don’t now how either of these women is a stand alone designer because from where I’m sitting in my own personal seamstress studio...they don’t know anything about clothing construction. And I’m really tired of the tearful declarations of “We’re family!!”

I disliked this challenge. The design brief was ambiguous: Rock & Roll! But was it rock & roll as streetwear, or stagewear, or a Grammy/MTV red carpet? Who knew? If it's supposed to be a stage costume, how can it be too "costume-y"? Why were safety pins awesome on one outfit and the kiss of death on another?

Angel and Minju should have gone. Two challenges in a row that were epic failures. How the fuck are either of them going to do activewear?

I thought Claire and Adolfo should have gotten the chance to compete as individuals.

I'm going to stick with this to the end, but I'm disappointed. I guess my expectations were too high after seeing the posts about how good it was in the Making the Cut thread.

People often have differing views on the judging decisions, the format of the competition, and the dynamics between the contestants. It's common for reality TV show audiences to share their thoughts and perspectives, which can vary widely based on personal preferences and interpretations. Additionally, discussions about wardrobe choices and grooming can also come up when analyzing fashion-related shows.