Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Lies & Whispers

"We could call it Will & Grace Crush Babies."

"And get Casey Anthony to do the audiobook."

Oh, my god. That was dark. 

Karen and Jack "fighting" through whispers was amusing. I find the whole ASMR thing odd in general, but I liked how quickly they got into it. 

I also find the intense competition over schools weird, too, but not surprised Grace and Will would get sucked into that. I liked the kid. 

Shame things ended between Karen and that guy, but I'm glad they ended on good terms, at least. 

• Love 8

I liked the throwback of Jack brushing his hair 100 times each night. I remember that was a joke in one of the old episodes.

Grace & Will wearing those signs with their emotions on them towards the end of the episode was really funny.

• Love 4

I liked how when Grace got mad at Will for going back to the school and he pointed out that she was going behind his back too, she was like, "Yeah, but that's my move" or something like that to indicate that no one could be surprised.  Much more self-aware than in the premiere when she claimed she didn't put herself first often.  (That one was weird because Grace usually, like in tonight's show, will own her selfishness.)

Karen talking in the soothing tones for the broadcast when she wanted to scream at Jack was pretty funny.  I liked Luke, it's too bad their storyline was so brief.

• Love 4

I thought this was a pretty horrible episode and am at the point where I don’t want to see Karen on my screen anymore after Mullaley hissy-fitted her way through unfollowing people on social media this year. I did like the scene with Karen and Jack whisper-fighting, but was surprised when she ended up basically telling Luke that this *was* just a booty call for her. Seeing how upset she was with Jack, I expected that she had actual feelings for him.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I liked how when Grace got mad at Will for going back to the school and he pointed out that she was going behind his back too, she was like, "Yeah, but that's my move" or something like that to indicate that no one could be surprised.

I think she said that it was "on brand" for her.  🙂

I found this episode to be much better than the last one. Last week, I thought, why am I still watching this show? This week, a lot of stuff worked. Maybe because Karen is back?

The ASMR podcast was the highlight to me. Sean Hayes did such a good job at that. I thought he sounded almost exactly like John Hodgman playing August Clementine on Parks and Recreation when they were making fun of NPR.

My nitpick is that Jack pointing out that Karen's booty call was a booty call wasn't that terrible. I grant that he shouldn't stick his nose in someone else's business. However, if the only time you spend with someone is when they come over once a week for afternoon delight, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out what you mean to them.

The school stuff wasn't as strong but I liked the kids making them stay in Contemplation Corner and Larry getting the last spot for Wheat/Samantha.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Aileen said:

I did like the scene with Karen and Jack whisper-fighting, but was surprised when she ended up basically telling Luke that this *was* just a booty call for her. Seeing how upset she was with Jack, I expected that she had actual feelings for him.

Yeah, she flat-out said she was serious about him. I thought she wanted more than just a booty call after that.

I feel like I've seen the pre-school storyline on many sitcoms. Parents of extremely young children (or fetuses) find out that you need to enroll in selective pre-schools (or kindergartens) very early, so they freak out and get super-competitive, and try to convince the admissions people that the kid belongs to a minority group that they don't actually belong to.

Then they realize they got caught up in competitiveness, and decide the school doesn't matter. It's been done to death.

• Love 5

It was a little over the top that the little kid's AI had become sentient but I guess that's pretty typical W&G. Those kids were just way too much. The time-out thing with the signs around their neck were funny though. 

I also loved the ASMR whisper-fight. Some of those things really work for me, and the whispering is usually one of them if the pitch is just right and I'm listening through ear buds. But they have to actually whisper, not just talk quietly. 

Wheat. Her name is Wheat. 

• Love 3

I was hoping Luke would stick around longer, I liked his character. But why was he so quick to believe what Jack said? If I was in that position, I'd ask Karen if it was true, not just assume that something some rando told me was fact. 

The stuff about how Hannah turned out wasn't really funny, but I laughed anyway. Her life was off the rails by kindergarten!

• Love 3
On 1/23/2020 at 6:31 PM, Annber03 said:

"We could call it Will & Grace Crush Babies."

"And get Casey Anthony to do the audiobook."

Oh, my god. That was dark. 

Dropped in to say that exact thing.  Uncharacteristically dark, IMO.

Dark to the point that it took me right out of the show for moment.

• Love 5

Larry being a grandpa just highlights the fact that Will and Grace are also old enough to be grandparents. If they didn't erase the original ending, they could have written stories about interfering in their children's dating or married lives instead of this ridiculous baby thing.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 14
On 1/26/2020 at 3:24 PM, Snow Apple said:

Larry being a grandpa just highlights the fact that Will and Grace are also old enough to be grandparents. If they didn't erase the original ending, they could have written stories about interfering in their children's dating or married lives instead of this ridiculous baby thing.

Yep, How old is Grace? In her 50's? Fucking miracle baby. She should be in menopause. 

• Love 6
On 1/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, Snow Apple said:

I agree. This show really missed an opportunity to  do smart and funny like they did in the original. Instead of pretending the finale (which I liked) didn't happen what they should have done was have Will be a widower and in the first episode, have Grace show up on his doorstep, having just split up with Leo. Kind of like Felix in the Odd Couple. Tht would have given them plenty to work with instead of this ridiculous storyline of Grace's pregnancy and Will and Grace acting like they're still in their 30s. They could have had Will and Grace suddenly being single and middle aged. Lots of possibilities for funny plotlines, especially since they now have adult children who will be  giving their opinions and probably unwanted advice on  Will and Grace starting to date again. 

I really loved the original series, but this whole reboot had been a mess. There has been the occasional good scene but I have turned off episodes after a few minutes  several times because it's just too painfully awful to watch. 

• Love 8

There are so many ways that this reboot went wrong, it's kind of amazing. 

I really wish the original finale had simply been that Will and Grace decide that they're happier together as dysfunctional life partners than they were with Vince and Leo. And they didn't include the garbage about Karen losing all of her money, and Beverly Leslie dying after a gust of wind carried him off a balcony.

And then, hopefully, they would never have felt the need to do this terrible reboot. Then I could still think back fondly on the original Will & Grace, without my memories being polluted by a) how bad the reboot has been, and b) knowing how much seething hatred exists between the cast members.

I would also be able to think of Karen as she was in the original series - a hilariously terrible person who wasn't political. The whole "Karen loves everything about Trump!" thing has made the character so much less enjoyable for me.

If they had to incorporate Trump, I would have liked it better if they had just established that Karen and Melanie were besties, and Karen was blissfully unaware of what Melania's husband did for a living. That would be much more in line with the original Karen.

• Love 7

I would also be able to think of Karen as she was in the original series - a hilariously terrible person who wasn't political. The whole "Karen loves everything about Trump!" thing has made the character so much less enjoyable for me.

The idea for the reboot came after the cast had gotten together to do a little video in support of Clinton in 2016. Karen was the lone Trump supporter among the characters. It was so popular that it led to the reboot. What's weird is that that video is apparently considered canon, because Karen is still alone in liking Trump, but much of the stuff that happened in the last season of the original show, and pretty much all of the big finale episode, has been tossed. It's strange that they decided to do that, and it was done to accommodate this weird menopausal Grace is pregnant and 50-something Will wants to be a father on his own storyline. Which hasn't been much fun to watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I really loved the original series, but this whole reboot had been a mess. There has been the occasional good scene but I have turned off episodes after a few minutes  several times because it's just too painfully awful to watch. 

I've gotten more laughs out of this reboot than a lot of currently running new comedies, but I agree it's been sort of a pointless mess. Their given reason for doing the reboot was that they felt like the characters had so much more to say in today's political climate but that sort of fizzled out after two or three episodes. And where we are with the characters now is shockingly the same as where we were with them 12 years ago. You do a reboot but then start rehashing the same scenarios you ended up with in the original series? Why bother?

• Love 8

Maybe they will do another reboot which pretends this reboot didn't exist!

It would have been interesting to see Will and Grace be aging empty-nesters. And to see how Grace who is soooo self-centered and selfish dealt with being a mom. Maybe she turned into her own mother. And Jack and Will's son could be jealous of each other. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 1/28/2020 at 2:04 AM, Jaded said:

I wouldn't be mad if they made this  whole shitshow reboot a dream/nightmare.

Let's see...

Grace walks into the bathroom to find Will in the shower:

"Will, you won't believe the dream I just had!"

"Was it that I had been run down by a car driven by my sister-in-law?"'

"No, it was worse! We were both old and single and I was pregnant and Karen was a Trump supporter and get this - we were running an inn in Vermont!"

• LOL 9
10 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

"No, it was worse! We were both old and single and I was pregnant and Karen was a Trump supporter and get this - we were running an inn in Vermont!"

I'd watch it. 😮

• Love 2

I agree with the above posters that neither baby storyline really makes sense, but I have to say that I am almost angry at the show for the Will/surrogate baby. It is so selfish traditional-family-centric of Will to want "his own baby." When Grace discovered she was pregnant, with no connection to the father, and Will decided he wanted a kid, but his partner at the time didn't, WHY DIDN'T WILL BECOME "FATHER" TO GRACE'S BABY. They are living together, they will both be raising these children, why must there be 2 of them??? It's so self-centered of Will, and so anti-family-is-what-you-say-it-is of the show.

• Love 5

Well I, for one, have greatly enjoyed the reboot, and was thrilled to be rid of that dreadful original series finale.

I loved both storylines, but especially the ASMR stuff. I really like Demi Lovato's character.

• Love 5