Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Inside Guy

• Start Topic

Things heat up between Molly and Ray, but their families get in the way when Bridget, Bunchy and Jim Sullivan all need Ray to fix their problems. Terry and Smitty help Ray with some detective work. Ray struggles to stay on Mickey’s trail, while simultaneously keeping Detective Perry off of his own.

Original airdate: 12/22/19

This season is really wasting so much time with plots having really slow development. Next week is episode 7 already and what's happened? What have we even seen so far with regard to Ray's therapy?

Plus, I just do not believe Ray's new romance. She was miscast. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 1

Ray's just trying to get some but he and Molly literally fall on top of Bridget who's crashing at the office.

Then Bunchy shows up with his tale of woe.

So they go to her place, only to be confronted by Jim, who says his heist partners are dying, which we know is because of Mickey's carelessness.

Finally starts to dawn on Ray that Mickey is up to his latest caper. 

Daryl says they're not going to kill any more but apparently he does the killing.  Buy Mickey says he wants to get his "fair share" of the money that Jim Sullivan has turned into a giant company about to go public to give to Daryl.

Daryl must have bought it because he beats the shit out of Ray, who calls him a monkey.  OK, that must be the reality of Southie background, but kind of disappointing to hear it from Ray after all this time.

Smitty goes over to Terry's who's sitting on the toilet with a TP roll.  Ray calls but Smitty can't toss it to Terry, has to actually go into the bathroom and hand it to Terry.

Damn Parkinsons!

So as Ray has them go over to Sandy's to see if Mickey is there, Terry lays down the law for Smitty:  Bridget isn't going to leave him and he's not going to leave her either because Smitty became a permanent member of the family when they all buried those dead cops.

Damn crime family!

Ray stakes out a gay bar and eventually Mickey shows up.  He manages to follow Mickey, who uses his real name, while all the gay guys are pawing at him before Daryl jumps him.

Damn brothers!

Sandy: The rate he's moving, he won't be here for another week! LOL!

The nursing home didn't learn their lesson to increase security or remove Larry's personal items?

Poor Ray! Couldn't find any privacy to get laid.

Why is Ray texting Lena about Mickey? He could have waited a few more minutes at the airport to see if Mickey got on the plane himself.

Oh Darryl! You stopped Mickey from going in to make sure no one gets killed and you end up killing someone. Right now you could have been in California with a nice job! I didn't think he could go any deeper down the dumber hole... but he did.

Ronny O'Malley (hinted to be a gangster?) is aware and nervous about the killings (sends Jimmy 17 messages) but he doesn't have extra guys at his house for when the killer arrives?

Bunch trying to dress like Ray was funny! Now the kid is dead, Bunch is going to be in some legal trouble.

Terry must give the smell of roses from the bathroom. Smitty didn't hold his nose or flinch once when talking to him.

Now the detective is resorting to kidnapping Smitty and holding him for hours by the pier? Smitty shouldn't say a word.

For a moment, I thought Ray was staying at the bar to wait for his turn on the mechanical bull.

Where did this Darryl and Ray fight/Darryl's animosity come from? After all these years, now it's come to this? There was no hint of this coming.

Good job Adam for dropping the charges because Bridget asked nicely. A season of Bridget and Smitty arguing and eventually making up is boring.

I hope Terry didn't cause any accidents driving back home. 

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Now the detective is resorting to kidnapping Smitty and holding him for hours by the pier? Smitty shouldn't say a word.

Smitty is an idiot.

Bunch trying to dress like Ray was funny! Now the kid is dead, Bunch is going to be in some legal trouble.

Bunchy is a loose cannon. He will surely cause some trouble for Ray.

Oh Darryl! You stopped Mickey from going in to make sure no one gets killed and you end up killing someone. Right now you could have been in California with a nice job! I didn't think he could go any deeper down the dumber hole... but he did.

Darryl is just another idiot latching himself onto Mickey, who is the biggest loser ever.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, preeya said:

Smitty is an idiot.

Darryl is just another idiot latching himself onto Mickey, who is the biggest loser ever.

He sure is. Smitty should have sat there and not answer one question.

Darryl is also around another loser Sandy and still can't figure out to stay away. But he needs to take his anger out on Ray instead of Mickey! Real smart!

• LOL 1

Why was Bridget sleeping in Ray's bed? Doesn't he have a guest room?

Creative with violence. That's our Ray!

Wonder why Ray never confirmed that Mickey had made it to the Maldives? He's gotten a lot sloppier since Lena left.

Nobody got eaten out inside a cell phone. Sandy bringing another WTF? visual.

So this guy Kevin is like the Fredo of the Sullivan family apparently. I kept waiting for him to yell, "I can handle things! I'm smart!"

Detective Whatsherface isn't good at tailing or Ray wouldn't have made her so easily. She should've at least used a car with dark-tinted windows.

Boo thang in a suit. That's our Ray!

Wonder if that kid Bunchy shot died naturally? Maybe his family decided to cut their loses and pulled the plug. They might've decided to put that money Bunchy stole for them to other uses.

Aw, Ray. You know Daryll is hopeless.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wonder if that kid Bunchy shot died naturally? Maybe his family decided to cut their loses and pulled the plug. They might've decided to put that money Bunchy stole for them to other uses.

Good point. ↑  "Bunchy The Dumb" gets taken again.

What exactly does "Dead Loser" Mickey think he's going to do with those tapes?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

Smitty is truly an idiot. So is Darryl. They make Connor look like a genius. Darryl's worshiping of Mickey is the ultimate in stupidity. What has it gotten for him? What has Mickey every provided for the guy beyond danger, disrespect and headaches. Dumbass.

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

She wasn't. She was sleeping on the couch in the living room.

13 hours ago, preeya said:

What exactly does "Dead Loser" Mickey think he's going to do with those tapes?

Being a reasonable and upstanding crook, Mick just wants his fair share of the ill-gotten gains of the 70s robbery. He's going to (try to) use the tapes to blackmail Sullivan whose company is about to go public and doesn't want that negative publicity. Of course, being Mick, he's bound to fuck up the scheme.

What was Darryl doing waiting in the shadows beyond the gate? Did Mick know that Ray was tailing him or did he have Darryl just waiting around in case someone followed him? And, why did Darryl go after Ray? His antipathy towards Ray just seemed to come out of nowhere. It's not like we've seen Ray denigrate or even dismiss him really over the past few seasons.

• Love 3

She wasn't. She was sleeping on the couch in the living room.

No, I don't think so. I rewatched it. It was a separate room with a door, and there was a nightstand and a headboard. Looked like a bedroom to me. She probably wasn't expecting Ray to come home with a woman.

What was Darryl doing waiting in the shadows beyond the gate? Did Mick know that Ray was tailing him or did he have Darryl just waiting around in case someone followed him?

Seemed to me Mickey found out Ray was hanging out to catch him in that bar and went there to lure Ray out. Siccing Daryll on Ray was probably part of the plan. Mickey knows Ray doesn't have any use for Daryll and Daryll resents not getting to grow up as one of the "regular" Donovan kids. While the two of them were duking it out, Mickey and Sandy likely hit the road.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
word of the day: "out"
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Being a reasonable and upstanding crook, Mick just wants his fair share of the ill-gotten gains of the 70s robbery. He's going to (try to) use the tapes to blackmail Sullivan whose company is about to go public and doesn't want that negative publicity. Of course, being Mick, he's bound to fuck up the scheme.

So Dead Mickey is going to threaten Sullivan with tapes (from 40 years ago) that were stolen from the home of a guy who is now DEAD and was killed by Darryl after the father of the dead guy was electrocuted by Dead Mickey while Sullivan has already sicced his "loving" son on their trail. What could possibly go wrong??

Sorry for the run on sentence. 

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

OMG Sandy is such a silly caricature. She has a real sadistic side. Her sexual comments make me think of her as a real perv. She is just totally obnoxious. It just seems to be a role that is beneath the great Sandy Martin. 

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

OMG Sandy is such a silly caricature. She has a real sadistic side. Her sexual comments make me think of her as a real perv. She is just totally obnoxious. It just seems to be a role that is beneath the great Sandy Martin. 

I guess when you're an actor that hits the 7-0 age marker, you take what you can get.

• Love 2

I had to laugh when Molly's dad said that Ray was a good worker because he knew how to get creative with violence. That may have been true in the past but in recent years, his violence has been pretty run of the mill.

Oh, Smitty. You are so desperate that you're going to your cheating wife's family members for advice? I did laugh at Terry's complete nonchalance when Smitty said that he'd been arrested. Getting arrested isn't something to get worked up about in this family. The fact that Terry thinks beating someone up and getting arrested is a good way to show someone that you love them tells you a lot about the Donovans.

I rolled my eyes at Adam's pity party. I mean, yes, it sucks that you got beat up, but YOU FUCKED A MARRIED WOMAN. Did you really think her husband wouldn't care? Adam seems like one of those people who thinks that he can get away with whatever he wants because "it's not MY fault!" I loved when Bridget laid it out for him in black and white - do you want the story to be that you cancelled your tour because you had an affair with your married 21 year old intern and her husband beat you up?

More eye rolling from me when Mickey justified his latest scheme by telling Darryl that the payday he was going to get from Sullivan was what he owed him because he made a promise to Darryl's mother when he was born. I'm sorry, but what about your other kids, Mickey? It's okay that they're out fucking up their lives but you need to take care of Darryl?

On 12/24/2019 at 1:30 PM, preeya said:

I guess when you're an actor that hits the 7-0 age marker, you take what you can get.

Truer words were never spoken. And I think it's double true for actresses. Sandy is probably just glad that she didn't have to take a job as a sweet old grandma in a cheesy Hallmark movie.

• Love 2

The Ray/Darryl fight seemed unearned because it came out of nowhere. To be fair, I think that there will always be a small amount of resentment between them. Darryl resents being left out because he didn't grow up with Ray, Terry, and Bunchy so no matter how much they treat him like family, he doesn't have those shared memories and that kind of bond.

But on the flip side, that's why Ray will always partly resent Darryl because part of the Ray/Terry/Bunchy bonding is the kind that's shared through childhood trauma and abuse. I think Ray moreso than Terry or Bunchy will always partly be jealous that Darryl had a much easier childhood than they did.

If you look at the way Ray has treated Darryl since he was introduced, I don't recall Ray taking out his frustration/anger with the situation (Mickey leaving their dying mother for Darryl's mother) out on Darryl. I think that in some situations Ray tries to keep Darryl out of the action but in general I think it's the same way that he tries to keep Bunchy out of the action. It's not because he dislikes Darryl or Bunchy or that he doesn't trust them. He genuinely doesn't want to have to involve them unless it's really necessary.

I'm willing to believe that Darryl has always felt like he'd never truly be as integral a part of the family as Ray/Terry/Bunchy, but I also believe that's his own insecurities, not because of the way he's been treated by the other Donovans. They have each treated him like family in their own way. Ray is monosyllabic with Darryl because he's like that with just about everyone (a few weeks ago, I paid particular attention to Ray's dialogue and realized that most of it consisted of "What?" and repeating what the other person had just said).

• Love 2
On 12/22/2019 at 8:44 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Bunchy is staying in his guest room.

The only animosity from Ray to Daryll that I can recall is that Daryll worships Mickey and can’t seem to understand that he’s ALWAYS trouble.   The same frustration Ray has with Bunchy and less frequently Terry.

I’m joining the can’t care less about Smitty and Bridget storyline.  

• Love 1
On 12/22/2019 at 8:56 AM, mxc90 said:

Why is Ray texting Lena about Mickey? He could have waited a few more minutes at the airport to see if Mickey got on the plane himself.

He could, but then Mickey would go into the secure area and Ray could not follow him further as he did not have boarding pass. Mickey then would just leave through arrival. Except of course, Ray would find a tape of TSA agents at the gate having an orgy party.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:13 AM, BigDfromLA said:

Darryl's worshiping of Mickey is the ultimate in stupidity. What has it gotten for him? What has Mickey every provided for the guy beyond danger, disrespect and headaches. 

Not only Darryl, but the rest of the Donovan boys. Listening to Ray's confession to his therapist, Mickey was a very, very bad father. Why any of them - including Ray - still stand up for him is beyond me.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:21 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The Ray/Darryl fight seemed unearned because it came out of nowhere.

Not only that, was Darryl not a boxer? How did he lose the fight against Ray and only beat him with the cheap shot using the bottle?

Apologies if this one is a bit unsavory, but I feel weird looking at Kerry Condon's nude pose, with her ribs hanging below her breast.

Lastly, is there not a single corrupt law enforcement officer in Ray Donovan universe?

• Love 1
On 12/22/2019 at 5:11 PM, mxc90 said:

Darryl is also around another loser Sandy and still can't figure out to stay away. But he needs to take his anger out on Ray instead of Mickey! Real smart!

I think Darryl's fight with Ray was what I call an earned moment, where you have several seasons of developing the relationships and tensions between these characters so when something does come to a head, it almost isn't a surprise.  Darryl has always wanted to be accepted by his brothers as an equal, and has always believed that while they accept him on some level, they do not think of him as a true Donovan (and there is some truth to that).  Mickey, however, has always treated Darryl like his son.  Now maybe it is only because Darryl is the one gullible enough to go in with Mickey on every one of his schemes (though Bunchy is pretty dumb too), but in Darryl's mind, Mickey thinks of Darryl as a Donovan, which is all he ever wanted.