Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Clash of the Masks

• Start Topic

It is hard to keep my suspension of disbelief intact when the Judges do not acknowledge the "Yes, and..." clue in the Fox's clue package. It was just so obvious it's unimaginable that Ken and Joel McHale at least wouldn't hone in on it. It breaks Kayfabe as wrestling fans would say.

It's stuff like that why I can't take it seriously as a competition but enjoy it as a weird celebrity karaoke night. All the better to not care that much that Grammy Award winning singers are booted in favor of injured shooting guards.

• Love 10

Twitter was going nuts thinking Tree must be Lisa Kudrow. Ms. Kudrow has phenomenal talent but she admits that singing ain't it. 

And that Fox is so obviously Wayne Brady that the Jamie Foxx guesses are annoying me more every week!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

It is hard to keep my suspension of disbelief intact when the Judges do not acknowledge the "Yes, and..." clue in the Fox's clue package. It was just so obvious it's unimaginable that Ken and Joel McHale at least wouldn't hone in on it. It breaks Kayfabe as wrestling fans would say.

That clue meant nothing to me. What’s the significance?

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, LizDC said:

That clue meant nothing to me. What’s the significance?

"Yes, and..." is a core principle for improv. You agree with whatever your scene partner says and build upon it. As comedians, Ken Jeong and Joel McHale would recognize that. "Whose Line?" is of course an improv show.

Having the Fox say "Yes, and..." in his narration would be a subtle nod. Having a prominent sign is too obvious a "clue".

Edited by Fukui San
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Fukui San said:

All the better to not care that much that Grammy Award winning singers are booted in favor of injured shooting guards.

Seriously.  Were they even listening to Thingamajig?  I was, and he was nowhere near Butterfly's talent.  I'll finish out the season but will probably pass in the future.  It's a fun little show, but at least make it a little more legitimate.  

• Love 7

What drives me nuts about Thingamajig is that he screws up basic lyrics. In Ain't Too Proud to Beg, he said "please" instead of "plead." Last night he said "I'll get so much more than I get." Repeatedly. Dude, come on.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Fukui San said:

In the past the judges have talked about how only part of what they say actually makes it into the show. It’s likely someone did catch it but it was too close too soon and it was edited out. I pretty sure Ken realized the writers were going to make them look clueless no matter what and just decided to be the ridiculous one. 

9 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Twitter was going nuts thinking Tree must be Lisa Kudrow. Ms. Kudrow has phenomenal talent but she admits that singing ain't it. 

Twitter’s reaction to clues is hilarious to me. One mention of smelly cat and they throw out all the other clues.dug GIF

I’m wondering if this show should have been a one season special because I loved the first season and this one is draining.  The obvious ignoring of clues, while they have to in order to drag out the season, is annoying. Also, it feels like they are doing fake clues just to “make it harder” 

I’m tired of Dr. Ken. His shtick is boring. Maybe they should have had Robin as the anchor and switch the other ones out every couple of weeks.  None of them are funny (except guest judge Joel) and those puns...insert eye roll.

The fact that Patti LaBelle and Michelle Williams both lost their sing offs...smh

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Fukui San said:

It is hard to keep my suspension of disbelief intact when the Judges do not acknowledge the "Yes, and..." clue in the Fox's clue package. It was just so obvious it's unimaginable that Ken and Joel McHale at least wouldn't hone in on it.

This basically just shows that they purposely don't guess correctly for singers they plan on having on for long time. I would bet that half the judges guess Wayne right before he is unmasked. 

Same goes for Seal who finally had someone guess him when it was looking like he wouldn't go on. 

I see why they do it as it would be boring to have them give the same right guess week after week but that just reveals the main flaw of the show. They really shouldn't do a full season of the same acts. 

• Love 6

Such a crock of shit that Michelle Williams went home.  She was amazing in both of her performances.  I’d say she easily beat Fox and then she destroyed Thingamajig in the Smackdown.  

I’ll have to go back and rewatch earlier episodes, but this episode was obviously taped back to back with another episode.  Jenny in the blue dress and loose hair, Nicole in the one shoulder black dress and a high ponytail.   I also recognized two repeat audience members (the small blonde guy who gaped his mouth open during Tree and the ponytailed Asian woman during either fox or butterfly, I forget which).  Both were definitely in the audience for some of Patti LaBelle’s performances. 

For some reason I thought Asian woman was in the audience for “Cheap Thrills” which was Patti’s second performance.  Why have studio audience sit in on consecurive taping episodes that are so out of order?0

• Love 1

Michelle Williams is quite the get for this show though she did recently foray in reality TV so this isn't too far of a fetch.    Sad to see her go over ThingaMaJig, who was definitely the weaker performer.   Ken can still go anytime now and Nicole too (uggh to that whole "Thing and Nicole thing" crap).

Had to laugh at Victoria Beckham as a final guess.   No way she'd slum on this show...LOL.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I’ll have to go back and rewatch earlier episodes, but this episode was obviously taped back to back with another episode.  Jenny in the blue dress and loose hair, Nicole in the one shoulder black dress and a high ponytail.   I also recognized two repeat audience members (the small blonde guy who gaped his mouth open during Tree and the ponytailed Asian woman during either fox or butterfly, I forget which).  Both were definitely in the audience for some of Patti LaBelle’s performances. 

Nice catch. I checked and the blond guy was shown in Patti’s performance of 9 to 5. They reused the footage because the two shots are completely identical. 

Edited by Guest
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

Such a crock of shit that Michelle Williams went home.  She was amazing in both of her performances.  I’d say she easily beat Fox and then she destroyed Thingamajig in the Smackdown.  

For some reason I thought Asian woman was in the audience for “Cheap Thrills” which was Patti’s second performance.  Why have studio audience sit in on consecurive taping episodes that are so out of order?0

I agree she destroyed Thingamagig in the Smackdown. She should not have went home. This is just my opinion I thought the Fox was better than Michelle. He sang his heart out. It was his best. That duel was hard because it pitted two people who have been vocally great.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Meedis said:

Had to laugh at Victoria Beckham as a final guess.   No way she'd slum on this show...LOL.

Not only that, there's no way she can sing like that, I always considered her the weakest Spice Girl when it comes to singing. 

• Love 3
On 12/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, roughing it said:

Seriously.  Were they even listening to Thingamajig?  I was, and he was nowhere near Butterfly's talent.  I'll finish out the season but will probably pass in the future.  It's a fun little show, but at least make it a little more legitimate.  

I agree.  I actually thought that Thingamajig should have left instead of Raven in an earlier episode.  Nicole is definitely voting for him though.  Don't know why the other panelists are.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I agree.  I actually thought that Thingamajig should have left instead of Raven in an earlier episode.  Nicole is definitely voting for him though.  Don't know why the other panelists are.

Maybe they are worried that if the most talented singer actually wins no one would compete.  This week was particularly silly.  At least Thingamajig didn't beat the Tree which I was convinced was going to happen.  Except I guess the audience votes on that one as opposed to the producers judges.

This show should really just nix the judges and just make it a big weird costumed celebrity karaoke contest. Its so obvious that the "contest" aspect is fixed and that this is even more scripted than most reality shows, especially with how things went this week with the obviously better singer getting the boot and the continued "oh who ever could onbiously Wayne BraOH I MEAN FOX MYSTERY!" stuff. 

I am honestly just here for the weirdness and the songs. 

• Love 10

I'm joining the people from before who thinks that Jenny is getting fed guesses. For the Tree, she doesn't bite on the "smelly cat" bait, instead somehow pivoting back to SNL, when it hasn't been in the clue packages for weeks. Then she says she listens to the "tone" of the voice (which: Jenny wouldn't know "tone" if it fell on her head) and magically comes up with Ana Gasteyer? I also didn't think she initially had Michelle Williams as a guess for the Butterfly.

If they were going to feed guesses to Jenny for anything, it should've been the more pop culture competitors (like Ninja). But the show trying to convince me that she recognizes "tone?" I was born at night, but not last night.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I'm joining the people from before who thinks that Jenny is getting fed guesses. For the Tree, she doesn't bite on the "smelly cat" bait, instead somehow pivoting back to SNL, when it hasn't been in the clue packages for weeks. Then she says she listens to the "tone" of the voice (which: Jenny wouldn't know "tone" if it fell on her head) and magically comes up with Ana Gasteyer? I also didn't think she initially had Michelle Williams as a guess for the Butterfly.

If they were going to feed guesses to Jenny for anything, it should've been the more pop culture competitors (like Ninja). But the show trying to convince me that she recognizes "tone?" I was born at night, but not last night.

I don’t think she being fed answers but that she’s googling between tapings. That would explain how she clueless and then suddenly pulls out the right guess several performances in. Last season she admitted that she tried calling her husband during a taping to try and figure out if he was the Rabbit. I have no problem believing she’s cheating this season. 

On 12/5/2019 at 9:08 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

I have so much second hand embarrassment over how Nicole fawns all over Thingamajig.

Yes, it's embarrassing.  I mean, Vic (thingamajig) is one of the best humans on this planet.   What that guy has done for kids, homeless people, sick people, and victims of natural disasters is amazing.  He does these things without a camera in his face, and I know even as a poor college student he stayed at school to work with feeding the homeless while other kids went home to see their families.  Love that guy!  He has singing ability, much better in person, I've seen him in talent shows at school.  I doubt if he's going to win this thing, I'm guessing the Rottweiler, but Vic is better than Nicole's odd jokes about marrying this guy.  Am I sure this is Victor Oladipo?  Yup, as a fan, every clue points to it and his voice gives it away for sure.  

• Love 6
On 12/7/2019 at 10:20 PM, Dani said:

Last season she admitted that she tried calling her husband during a taping to try and figure out if he was the Rabbit.

There's no way I believe that. Not one clue pointed to it being Donnie Wahlberg and she knew it.